Hunt: Showdown thread. The thread where we discuss Hunt: Showdown

Hunt: Showdown thread. The thread where we discuss Hunt: Showdown
early access is almost over buy the game if you want a pretty gun skin

Attached: Hunt_ Showdown.jpg (600x800, 253K)

THIS (you) BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE HUNT SHOWDOWN GANG

DEADMANS RISE UP

why is this game being slept on so hard

because the normans are afraid of permadeath and graphic intensive games

>Almost at prestige
>Still have tens of thousands of dollars saved up
>tfw too scared to spend money on a gun and mostly rely on pre-owned or daily/weekly weapons

Attached: 105.png (1242x1169, 1.82M)

I bought this a while ago and got my friend to play it with me. Game is hard as shit. I like it though

Attached: 1560481425273.jpg (2048x1748, 356K)

I literally refuse to spend money on anything but the first non shitty rifle and a knife just due to my autism for losing anything remotely valuable

I'll bite, sell me on it
I've not seen anything about this game, is it a L4D clone?

i bought the game and it runs at fucking 23FPS. have any of the updates fixed this shit. also
>MMMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM
>MMMMMM MMMMMM MMMMMMMMMM

>be me
>queue with a random
>night map
>hiding in the bushes in some pond near a house that another duo ran into
>Random: "Do you think they can see us?"
>Me: "Nah we're" safe
>Sudden Third Voice: "Phew, I was worried."
>Suddenly hear the fuse of a dynamite bundle light

This game is an achievement.

ok so you (and maybe a rando or a friend if you have social skills and a mic) are after a bounty
So is everyone else.
Get that bounty and kill everyone and everything in your way or just run from that meathead you fucking coward
Also there's permadeath after level 16 hope you didn't cherish that 700 dollar gun you DEAD BITCH

Attached: hunt.jpg (940x470, 77K)

I just prestiged with 50k in the bank and a roster of good hunters from Quickplay. Fuck it.

The last update fixed performance pretty good for me and my friend, and my friend has a pretty shit PC. They also added an FOV slider.

Attached: 594650_20190620130435_1.png (1920x1080, 2.31M)

I will buy it if it comes to ps4 cus my pc shit.

I was really impressed by the gunplay in this game at first--the slow, shitty, limited firearms really contributed to the feeling of tenseness when dealing with the zombos. Then some faggot wiped my team in half a second with a 5-shot semi-auto shotgun that has the exact same damage values as my single-shot shotgun, and I realized this game wasn't for me.

Main mode is a team of 2 traversing one of two large maps and searching for clues to locate a big bad monster, or multiple, somewhere on the map in an attempt to kill it and take the bounty first and then you've got to fucking book it before the other squads kill you and take it for themself because once you have the bounty they can track (you)

In the meanwhile there's zombies and monsters on the map so you've got to be stealthy or smart because guns are loud, and you could easily expose yourself to other players

Jump in with a friend.
It's damn good.

>PvP L4D with only solo or duo
>game is highly focused around stalking other players or going buck wild and blitzing your way to bosses
>characters work like darkest dungeon style recruitment and have their own perks, can upgrade and level them up but also permadeath
>account level unlocks MANY guns and MANY accessories and MANY perks
>sound and being stealthy is very key
>monsters will absolute wreck you if your positioned poorly
>main objective is killing bosses then defending the area as it gets announced mapwide and THEN extracting

It's honestly very unique and wild as all hell to play, playing on a high level character is fucking heart-aching

Thinking about buying on xbone. Afraid to play with randoms

I play with randos all the time and only like 5% are total shitters that die to grunts or gravity. Most have absolutely carried my ass, too.

It's ok

Kinda meh.
Actually really meh after awhile. The bosses are meh, only duos and only 2 maps. Started great but after awhile you feel like you've seen every shootout and how it will play out against other players. I've ambushed, get ambushed and

Every day 2 bounties are posted. You pick one and enter a map with 9 other random players to track the monster and kill it. Whoever does it first gets marked and the other players come to kill you.

Whats cool about this is that the world monsters can actually fuck you up so people cant just rush carelessly. You have to be stealthy.

i like the vibe of the game but i never found any ammo and movement felt so sluggy

It's closer to Escape From Tarkov than anything.

>5 teams of 2 (at most, can be less if matchmaking goes on too long)
>Map has one or two boss monsters on it
>Each boss is in their own section of the map
>Finding clues at each location help you narrow down where the boss monster is
>It's possible to just stumble on to the boss lair on your first clue, everything is randomized at match start
>Track down the boss(es) while avoiding death at the hands of weaker monsters and other players
>Kill boss
>Banish it, which takes about 90 seconds or so and everyone on the map can see where a boss is being banished
>Defend your kill
>Grab bounty and get out, or try to go for a double on maps that have two bosses
>Live to die another day

The game has a huge emphasis on stealth, and sound is super important. Shooting guns, stepping on branches, disturbing birds, chicken coops, or dog kennels, etc makes noise that gives your position away. And it's important to choose carefully when you take on the boss, because if you do it too early it's just going to cause all the other players on the map to close in on you. Either you give it enough time for some hunters to die off, or you get ready for some rootin tootin cowboy fights.

Attached: 594650_20190606213440_1.png (1920x1080, 2.26M)

A new map would be nice

Roaming bosses could be nice

Or running above 30 fps without shitting itself

Or no stutters

Just shoot him in the head and take his shotgun from him. No big deal.

Ammo is all over the place in red chests. If you ever have trouble finding any just look at the map for the icon of a covered wagon, those are destroyed convoys and have a bunch of ammo and health pickups at them.

We only just got Lawson Delta a few months ago, they're not miracle workers. If we do get a new map though I would love a snow area.

Also the two maps we have are getting some good reworks they showed off in the dev stream yesterday.

When's the last time you played?

>Start game
>shoot zombie
>6 dogs come out and kill me
>try again
>use knife only
>suddenly a swarm of bugs poison me and there is literally no way to get rid of it
>die and try again
>try to be super super stealthy
>find clues
>get to spider boss fight
>is the most unfun fight ever with the thing not leaving the fucking ceiling and my guns doing no damage
>finally kill it
>some faggot casually enters the building with an axe and kills me
>uninstall

And this is why Crytek is nevet successful.

two months ago

played during last free weekend and had fun, until i realized theres no solo mode and you will always be at a disadvantage playing solo because every other player will be sweaty duos in comms.

>2k players
Oof, dead.

There seems to be a plethora of these games where all your progress just gets wiped because some cunt got the drop on you

Its not fun at fucking all. I was just playing the cycle and its the same shit.

Last patch fixed performance significantly.

You just have to play differently when solo. Stay out of sight until you hear gunshots, them come down on them while they're distracted. Ambush other teams while they fight the boss.

Damn son you're bad at videogames.

You don't lose all your progress, you lose one character. Who cares? You can literally get infinite free characters.

fuckin' imagine this
>City Edge
>40% of the map is a huge city, the rest is shitty shanty town and marshland
>City area has lots of long sightlines and interconnected alleyways to mix up combat situations
>You can even traverse rooftops to avoid zombies, but risk being seen or heard by other hunters
>New Boss: The Confederate
>Exactly what it says on the tin, a zombified confederate captain, a sword in one hand, a makeshift shotgun in the other
>He mixes up melee attacks and ranged attacks to keep you on edge
>New Boss: The Baphomet
>A goat-headed demon whose lower half is wreathed in flame until you get her to half health, where she exits it to reveal a centauroid lower half
>First phase is mostly leaving trails of fire, summoning mini-immolators, and throwing fireballs, second phase is more direct, with her stabbing you with a makeshift pitchfork, kicking you so hard you fall back, and charging you with flames
>New guns: Harmonica pistol, turret gun, experimental flamethrower
>Exactly what it says on the tin

How's the playerbase? I'm not trying to buy this game only for me to not get any matches past 6 months.

It's really boring doing the same thing over and over and over on the same map

Attached: stuck.png (300x149, 102K)

it's steady at 2-3k

Gonna launch it RIGHT NOW and report back if it's bullshit or not

Wish me luck

2-4k player on average, depending on time of day. Only takes 10 to fill a game, so it's fine. The update to 1.0 is just around the corner so they might finally start advertising the game.

>play during a free weekend
>first few matches are fun and the game feels legitimately unique and interesting
>play some more watches
>by the end of the weekend realize every game is the same, bosses are easy to cheese due to their poor pathfinding, game is badly optimized and runs like ass on every setting and doesn't actually look good enough to justify it, there's only a handful of guns worth using
>get bored, uninstall, haven't touched it since
I really like the idea but the game itself is boring after a while. You play in duos with another hunter, permanent character death makes things interesting, and the hunt-kill-banish-escape is a good new take on multiplayer. It's just that it's the same thing over and over again every time, the game just doesn't have enough going on and the core mechanics aren't sufficiently interesting for me.

RISE UP DEAD MAN

All battle royales are shit

Damn, with that small, I'm probably going to get shit on by dedicated dudes and no canon fodder shitters for me to kill. Oh well I'm going in.

Did you get out of the noob queue?

Never use your guns if you can help it, at least not until you get to a boss. Use a melee weapon or the charged melee attack on zombies, crouch and sneak around dogs.

just gotta third party people and be willing to book it. You don't have to kill bosses, you still get money and experience for killing monsters or players and escaping.

Just use free characters until you feel confident. And remember you get 25$ for every clue you find, even if you die.

My 850watt ups dies when I run this thing in 4k lmao

Probably, I played a lot during the weekend, but I don't remember my account level anymore and since I didn't buy it I can't just download it and log in to check.

Just bought the game, loving it so far but I wish the monsters would have a higher aggro range, most of them will only detect you if you shoot or sprint while 10-20 meters away from them, any farther and they are blind and deaf. That makes them more of a nuisance than a real danger
Also this needs to be fixed, it can't be that hard to add a solo mode

A lot of those complaints sound like the ones people who only played with low-levels have. The fun of the game comes from dealing with other players.

It fucking baffles me why people want a solo mode because that genuinely does get old fast. Never knowing whether you're in the clear or if another player is about to ram a bayonet up your ass is where the fun comes in.

>Doing a weekly solo (kill 250 grunts with guns)
>Meet with a duo
>Could easily get the drop on them
>Instead call out to them and say that I'm not after the boss and they can have the bounty, I just want to tag along and shoot any grunts they come across
>They shrug and agree, after all, they're using tier 1 characters and won't be too mad if I betray them
>We reach the boss
>Someone's already at them
>I decide to go in and distract the enemy while they go around back and kill them
>It works and I'm somehow still alive
>They take the bounty and we part ways
>tfw I got the last 50 kills needed for the weekly and they got their reward and we were all satisfied
Sometimes even the guys who can shoot you in the back at any moment and get mad stacks can be cool

Attached: monk.jpg (379x500, 116K)

There is a solo mode. for those of you who don't know, they did test out a solo Bounty Hunt mode before. They got rid of it because all anyone did was camp for the entire 60 minute round. "Solo only mode plz ;_;" people are just that fucking pathetic.

Well, it actually seems running smoother.

It had this weird washed up look to everything, but it must have been because it was at night and maybe it was "fog" or something

A flame zombie i've never met before pushed my shit in with a super fart. Then another player sniped me in one shot after my second clue.

I remember having fun with it. It's better with a friend for sure. I despise the low FOV though. Might try again another day.

Attached: 1545962410460.jpg (1080x1309, 101K)

The flame zombie gets activated by any attack that pierces it's skin. Use brass knuckles to push his shit right back.

They added an FOV slider you dingus

Attached: 1.jpg (1280x2160, 1.14M)

>Friend and I come across a team that just killed Butcher at Windy Run
>Rush in and kill them plus another team also trying to kill them
>Grab bounty
>Another team shows up
>Hear them talking in VoIP
>"I think they're inside here man"
>Answer back "No we're not!"
>Get into a long conversation where we offer them to go get the other bounty without us fucking with them
>They say no they want us to let them down one ofus so they can take one token from each bounty
>Say fuck that
>They siege the upper part of the barn with flash bombs
>Friend gets blinded and just lets loose with both shotgun barrels
>Kills one
>Starts fighting the second while I sneak around
>Gets one hit but only grazes him with the second
>Gets downed
>The guy that downed him goes down from bleed damage right after
>Tell them in chat that they should have taken our offer
>Go and kill the other boss for the Grand Slam

Felt great man.

Attached: 1557074669469.jpg (459x612, 313K)

Ah so local VOIP? I do love that.

It's hilarious when someone is using an always-on mic and it keeps giving their position away. I wonder if they ever realize why they keep getting snuck on or if they just think everyone else is cheating.

I say yes mister. I'd love a urban map.

>Reach a boss around the same time as a solo guy kills it
>He and I shoot the shit while my friend tries to sneak around to kill him
>Suddenly partner dies
>"Was that you?"
>"No, I thought that was you"
>Can hear some guys talking, being all tacticool and sneaky, like "I'm going to throw a flash bomb in. You go in and pop anyone you see." "Copy that, headed 73 degrees", etc.
>"Shit there's another group here"
>"Wanna go kill them?"
>"Hell yeah, fuck those guys, they killed my friend."
>We wipe the floor with them, barely take any damage
>As I rez my friend, he tells me he's solo and one of us can take the other bounty
>Let friend take it since he's low level
>We part ways and take different exits

Attached: 254.jpg (3508x2288, 968K)

>>Let friend take it since he's low level

This doesn't actually matter. Both players get rewarded for everything, no matter who does it. You can even help each other do dailies.

This game is what Order 1886 should have been

I dunno how bad optimization and boss pathfinding is a noob queue issue. Bosses are locked into their lairs and can't roam, so you can just sit right outside of it and beat the shit out of them (easier for the Butcher than the spider). One time the spider got locked into a loop where they just ran past a door I went through over and over again and I just melee'd them to death.

Fighting against other players is definitely the fun part of the game but there's only a few things you and other players can actually do when it counts. So it just got boring after a while for me.

>Think we're alone in the match
>Heading towards the boss
>Start actually hearing shots from Catfish
>Sneaky beeky tactical mode engaged
>Sneak right up to the door of the boss building completely silent
>Bust in right as he starts banishing
>Down one, clear the building looking for the second
>There is no second
>There's another dead team on the floor
>tfw we just killed a solo who killed a team and the boss on his own

Attached: 1481524579002.jpg (263x192, 10K)

If the game still runs badly for you after the last update then it's entirely on you and you need to upgrade.

Of course standing outside the boss makes it easy to cheese, but that's your prize for being the last players in the round. If you stand outside the boss room making all that noise while other players are going to come get your ass.

I probably haven't played the latest update. If there's any advertising for the next free weekend I'll probably see it and give it another shot.

There was a free weekend last weekend and update 1.0 is coming out so I don't think there will be another for a while.

Find any easter eggs?

Attached: 594650_20190620135419_1.png (1920x1080, 3.16M)

Bob Ross corpse
Two titanic references (the flying pose and jack's death but in a shallow bog)
Dunno if it's a reference but there's a creepy doll with a cowboy hat in a shack

>68 / 13 / 21 / 5
I found the painter, but not the other stuff. I did find these creepy dolls though.

Attached: 594650_20190620193114_1.png (1920x1080, 3M)

The Crytek rubber ducks are present.

I heard from a Crytek UK/Dambuster developer that Homefront: The Revolution has this one rubber duck that will turn and stare at you spookily if you stare at it long enough. They didn't say which duck, though.

Isn't it fucking weird that low graphical fidelity became almost synonymous with being casual? On PC no less.

Spooky.

Attached: 594650_20190530155721_1.png (1920x1080, 2.74M)

because its shit and crytek sucks

>poison rework
>NOT THE BEEEEEES re work
>scopes actually useable rework
>vanilla variants of weapons getting buffed across the board
>le epic skins and doods
>unlock tree instead of unlock straight line
my pp is hard

Honestly the spookiest part of Hunt is all those houses and places with those grody ass bug hives and eggs growing on the walls. Like, what the fuck why are those here what comes out of them WHY ARE WE NOT TURNING LOUISIANA TO ASH WHEN LITERAL GIANT SPIDERS, WALKING WASP HIVES, AND MEN MADE OF BUGS EXIST???

Attached: 212426.jpg (1030x980, 279K)

>because the normans are afraid of permadeath
I played the game on the free weekend with a friend and they dropped it after 30 minutes saying the permadeath feature is off putting, despite the fact that we were nowhere close to even leveling up enough for permadeath to affect us

cuz its like 1806 all we have are candles n sheeit

I hope the book of weapons doesn't completely replace the weapon customization they promised.

Slap your friend for being a bitch.

I gave them a lot of shit over it, but they wouldn't touch the game again, saying 30 minutes was enough to know they wouldn't like it

>yfw the spider's face

Attached: 594650_20180915100128_1.png (1102x1064, 545K)

delete your friends they are only holding you back. You need hardcore friends not pleb friends.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1541554145.jpg (546x550, 29K)

>spider and assassin frenzy buff next patch
>spider frenzy attacks back to back no cooldown for like 15 seconds, each hit does low damage but deals poison damage
>assassin frenzy instead of cloning lounges at your repeatedly and every hit causes you to get the "bugs" debuffs where your screen is covered in cockroaches and obscures vision

GODDAMN MY PP HARD

because it's been floating around 1000-2000 concurrents. when it gets regularly over 10,000 i'll buy it.

I haven't played in a while but did they change something? Last time I played there was always permadeath. You play a character and if he dies, he dies.

>This game needs more players
>I'll buy it when it has more players instead of being one of the players that it needs

Stop being retarded. 2000 people is enough to support a game with 10-person lobbies.

NONONO PLEASE NO OH GOD NOT THE BUGS MY SKIN IS CRAWLING JUST THINKING ABOUT IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 10548847.jpg (498x456, 21K)

it doesn't kick in until a certain level like 15 or something so you get to learn the game before you get your shit slapped.

I think they made it so anyone under bloodline level 16 didn't lose anything on death, and they expanded the noob queue all the way out to BL level 30. AND you can always get one hunter for free, complete with some free low tier weapons. The game couldn't be more forgiving to new players right now.

Don't forget quickplay, where being the last man standing nets you 4 perks and any items you have on you when it's over FOR FREE

the bob ross painter gets updated with every patch I think. He painting gets more complete. Their a thread with all like 50+ easter eggs per map. Its really ridiculous how much shit they put in. Its almost all skeletons tho.

>Buy game
>Play
>no other players for 4 games
>only level 4
>play more games with zero human contact
>refund

I have no patience to grind this shit but, it was a very well crafted gayme. Gunna wait till its $15 & fully completed though

Attached: 6374f858f5fa436f6552a41bb80140a5.jpg (281x211, 15K)

Not to mention you're guaranteed to go up a few levels so you can get even more perks. And if you play late at night you have a good chance of getting into a room completely alone, so all you have to do is collect some good weapons and 4 clues for an instant win.

>only level 4
there's your problem, you don't play with the big boys until level 31

Yeah, you're in the noob queue under level 30 and there's not exactly a lot of other players in that queue to fill games with.

yee i just dont feel like grinding for 200 hrs my dudes

Attached: 1539126183095.jpg (418x472, 205K)

>another multiplayer fps
Hard pass

You can get to level in a couple hours, you spaz.

level 30?

Yes lol, did you even try?

thats like four games. Just extract with bounty 4 times and retire your hunter at level 25 for bonus bloodline levels.

I mean I escaped and just thought "this is taking to long nibba" abnd refunded. MEh

I liked the game a lot idk. Im just impatient

Didn't they lower the graphics at some point across the board for optimization reasons because brainlets were wondering why real time shadows on reflections was causing bad performance

Well good riddance then, retard.

My friend bought this for me a year ago, as a guy who doesn't normally enjoy the dynamic, I thought it was surprisingly enjoyable.

There was only the Spider and the Pig guy back then. Spider was spooky as fuck even though it was easy.

I ended up being pretty decent at the game too since I've played some other pixel hunting shooter types like Red Orchestra in the past.

Might pick it up again some day.

yeah. hard pass at the moment. maybe when its finished and $10 buckerroooooos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe go back to plebbit.

Reddit actually fucking loves Hunt

>Reach a bounty at the same time as another pair
>Partner asks the other group if we could work together
>They don't want to
>Neither do I
>I dive into the boss room to kill them, screaming "MOMMA DIDN'T RAISE NO BITCH!"
>Get headshot instantly
momma didn't raise no genius either, it seems

Attached: 56.gif (500x288, 1006K)

>"never finished" game with graphical retardation and pop in and ass level netcode, that they decided to complete by using PVP in lieu of any actual narrative or world building.
WHY DON'T THE CASUALS LIKE OUR PIECE OF SHIT GAME!
It had decent potential but is obviously rushed and thrown out because no one cared enough to complete it and now only gets attention from faggots who could care less about it till people feel justified paying full price for the half finished multiplayer only game

Are you really crying over no storymode in a game where there's literally a lore section that expands upon the backstory further the more monsters you kill?

>Playing with tier 0 free niggas with shit weapons
>Hear intense fighting at a banishing point
>One person clearly has an avtomat and someone else has fanning
>Rush in with romero handcannons and nagant revolvers

Attached: 1539907099785.jpg (400x296, 16K)

Don't fall for shitty bait, user.

>Grab bounty
>Partner suddenly dies outside
>Go to check
>One guy literally opens the door in front of me
>Panic and shoot my crossbow
>Instakill
>Go to rez my friend
>Guy with avtomat spots me and unloads at near point-blank
>Only to miss EVERY. SINGLE. SHOT.
>I miss three shots with my revolver
>He lands 2 and misses 4
>We both decide to forgo reloading and take out our dusters
>Punch the shit out of each other
>Low on health and run to try and reload
>Remember I have three shots left in my revolver
>Turn around and blast the dude's ass

Attached: angry skeltal.jpg (588x800, 157K)

is it weird i wish there was a contraband weapon rack page or some kind of trophy room option to show off stats like longest kill, biggest upset kill, ect. you'd get the rewards by looting the dead hunter and getting out to update your room

>Join game with Winfield C and Caldwell Conversion
>See two guys next to a wagon
>Call them out
>Friend can't see them
>Kill one then the other without missing a shot
>Move on to bounty location
>Carriers are holed up in a barn
>Everyone is playing extra careful
>They start to run
>For some reason just start doggedly chasing them down without a second thought
>They cross a river
>Just start unloading them
>Kill one then the other same as before
>Check their bodies
>One had an avtomat and an uppercut
>The other had a nitro and a Dolch
>They still ran away like girls
>Never even shot back when I started tagging them from across the river
>Lost all this expensive shit and the bounty to a free nigga with shitter weapons

Attached: 1485132097389.jpg (336x506, 102K)

I've had a long going theory and am wondering if anyone can help me out. Do you guys find matches where people actually want to play the game? On Oceania servers no one wants to fucking play aggressive. I've had games where I fight two separate teams just to get ambushed by a third who was in a bush the whole time.

Played NA and EU servers, both have a good mix between aggressive and sneaky players.

>Hunter Room
>Heads of killed bosses mounted over the fireplace (with stats when you click on them like most damage dealt, fastest kill, number of bounties extracted overall, etc.)
>Wall with your favorite weapons (with highest hunter/monster kill count, most ammo spent in a single game, so on)
>Retired hunter of your choice just chilling out, sometimes sitting by the fireplace polishing a weapon, sometimes reading a book, sometimes just taking a snooze
>You can spend cash to decorate the room with different wallpapers, paintings, etc.
>Maps now have "secret contraband" that you can steal, such as paintings, statues, historical artifacts, and other items either of great worth or are just plain bizarre. Extracting with them in tow (You can only take one) lets you use it to decorate your room.
avtomatfags are the fucking worst. why would anyone even use the damn thing when a clean headshot always kills?

I don't know. The recoil on them is retarded and you get almost no ammo. The Winfield is my all around favorite weapon. It's not that strong, but it carries a lot of ammo, has great ironsights can make quick followup shots, works great in hipfire or ADS, and a headshot is a headshot even if it's from a weak bullet.

I hope we get more repeaters in the game.

I hope we get some weird psuedoscience weapons. The explosive harpoon is cool and all but I want a fuckin' dragon's breath shotgun or flamethrower, something that would've been absolutely impossible in the 1890s

I dunno about all that shit, but have you seen the new smoke effects coming in 1.0? Looks like they finally remembered that we're using black powder, not smokeless powder.

bump