Is there any good video game based on Aztec mythology? Why are there so few of them?

Is there any good video game based on Aztec mythology? Why are there so few of them?

Attached: Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca, and Tlaloc.png (1982x900, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MFZdM152PK8
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3dw2tr/was_ometeotl_a_real_aztec_diety/?st=jxgv5q54&sh=97759a53
pastebin.com/h18M28BR
desuarchive.org/his/thread/5446429/#5466013
desuarchive.org/his/thread/5495687/
archived.moe/k/thread/39206407
desuarchive.org/his/thread/4232340/#4233526,
desuarchive.org/his/thread/5526254/#5526329
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/441551507/#441565260
desuarchive.org/his/thread/4176613
desuarchive.org/his/thread/5285820/#5290147;
desuarchive.org/his/thread/5506706/#5528829
desuarchive.org/k/thread/39546199/#39557233
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because screeching faggots on Twitter would condemn the game for cultural appropriation/racism/not being made by a diverse and open development team approved by committee

Based on Aztec Mythology? Not really. There's a few that loosely use it in 1 or 2 ways but not as the focus or well.

The only game I can really think of that really goes for any sort of Aztec focus speffically that does it well is Aztez, which is unique in that it's not just generic mish mash of Mesoamerican civilizations in generic jungle/desert ruins, it actually features specific historical Aztec cities with their notable landmarks (Xochimilco's canals, Chapultepec's aquaduct, etc for example), and while the aesthetics is heavily stylized and doesn't match Aztec visual motifs and shit exactly, it is going for something specifically stylized aztec, just abstracted; rather then just every mesoamerican group's art motifs thrown in a blender.

Gameplay wise, it's a CURAYZEE beat em up with some light strategy elements in the overworld. The goal is to expand and make the core of the empire (since the map only coveres the core valley, not the further out cities/provinces) strong enough to fight back against the conquistadors when they show up, and then conflict brings you into actual gameplay sections.

The combat system has a stupid amount of depth, the fact the devs have done analysis's of games like DMC, Bayonetta, God of War, etc on their personal blogs before in depth and shit really shows

Attached: Aztez combo Blood Rush 2 4ch.webm (800x450, 2.91M)

Attached: Aztez combo Blood Rush 1.webm (700x394, 2.98M)

Thanks for the recommendation user, looks interesting.

Attached: Mictlán.jpg (546x702, 94K)

No problem.

Kotal Kahn in MKX/11 is also a pretty decent adaption of Huitzilopotchli, despite the MK comics saying he's the Maya god Buluc: His 3 variations in MKX are themed after War, Blood, and the Sun, mirroring Huitzilopotchli's primary associations; he's got the same blue-green painted skin; he's got sickles which are an abstraction of Huitzipotchli's weapon of Xiucoatl; and his moveset in MKX is written in faux-nahuatl wqhile in MK11, it's real nahuatl, as his all of his gear/costume pieces.

Other then that there's a few other games here and there, but all just use Mesoamerican aeshetics superficially

Attached: war-god-kotal-kahn-pop-culture-shock-statue-07.1503460606.jpg (1222x2000, 349K)

>Other then that there's a few other games here and there, but all just use Mesoamerican aeshetics superficially

A list:

- Pawarumi
- Mulaka (Not strictly Mesoamerican, since it's north mexican which is more culturally related to southwest US stuff, but still)
- Ulama: Arena of the Gods
- Maya Death Robots
- Aztek (looks sort of shit, though)
- Theocracy (I hear it's solid but boy does it fall for the "dude natives were just tribes" meme)

And then ones which feature Mesoamerican themes but aren't actually set in those cultures so much as their ruins or feature a bit of their mythology

- Expeditions Conquistador (actually a really fun game and I highyl reccomend it, but it's from the spanish perspective)
- Marow Briggs and the Mask of Death (Very much has the typical Mesoamerican depictions of stuff but it's a parody of shlocky old action movies so it works)
- Rise of Legends (one of the factions is a Magitech mesoamerican ones)
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (never played them, and I imagine they also fall for the sterotypical mesoamerican depictiojns, but eh)

I guess one other notable one would be Pokemon Sage, which is a really high quality fangame /vp/ started (it's the more serious, effort driven sister project to Clover, which is the meme shitpost one) whose region is based on a Latin American amalgam, and has a few Mesoamerican influenced mons and areas, such as this route based on the Toltec ruins of Tula

Attached: 1511766492947.png (736x416, 89K)

also final note: i'm excluding Andean/South american stuff since that's a seperate group of cultures but check out Tunche, it seems really promoising

Also Indivisble is going to have what seems like a really promising Maya themed area based on Calakmul and it's kingdom

So as far as I can tell, these are the most important Aztec gods.
>Huitzilopotchli
>Tlaloc
(power gap)
>Quetzalcoatl
>Tezcatlipoca
>Xipe Totec

Anyone else on their level in terms of influence and importance in everyday life?

His name is a bit strange Kotal Kahn = kulkukan

Ometeotl, god of duality, I believe is one of the major gods as well.

>everyone always jerks off Loki for being a trickster asshole
>no love for Tezcatlipoca
This was the guy who made me interested in Aztec mythology originally, I still find him the most interesting figure in the mythology.

Attached: Tezcatlipoca.jpg (1280x720, 397K)

They are much "brutal" to the mainstream

Attached: tezcatlipoca_vs_quetzalcoatl_by_gureiduson_d146mul-pre.jpg (1069x747, 189K)

Can you give me some examples?

AFAIK there's a bit of a debate if Ometeotl was even a god that was actually worshipped or not.

I'm really not sure how to place Tlaloc, honestly. He had a shrine right next to Huitzilpotchli's in the Great Temple but in cosmology and myths and stuff, the other 3 you mention seem to be more prevalenant.

In any case, it's worth keeping in mind here that specific towns and cities will be worshiping some gods more or less and that most of the documentation we have is specifically from the Mexica/Tenochtitlan perspective.

I forgot to mention this in , , and but there's a Mesoamerican overhaul mod for EUIV called Mesoamerica universalis made by a team of mesoameriaboos and actual archaeologists; this is their video on the relgion overhaul and going into this a bit:

youtube.com/watch?v=MFZdM152PK8

>I'm really not sure how to place Tlaloc, honestly. He had a shrine right next to Huitzilpotchli's in the Great Temple
That's exactly why I put him so high up. Maybe it's a Dionysus type situation where the god himself isn't super important but he's ridiculously popular? Your guess is probably better than mine.

He drove quetzalcoatl into suicide because quetz fucked his own sister, he cucked Tlaloc, trolled tlaloc's new wife into flooding the earth and many other things.

I remember reading about legends that said he would appear before people as they sleep and start spillimg blood and gore on them just to freak them out. The only way to stop him and live was to reach into his chest and pull out his heart, anything else and he would kill you for shits and giggles. He is known to be extremely destructive but prideful.

Eh

When Nahua religion got brutal/gorey it was amongst the most of any mythology, but it wasn't actually that much more brutal/violent in freqeuncy/in terms of society. Like, people gave offerings of flowers or pottery way more then people got sacrificed.

It's just the brutal shit is what gets all the attention. Not a SJW but racism/propoganda from the colional period has a lot to do with it; and now these days talking about Aztec poetry abpout the bueety of nature or whatever like in pic related isn't as clickbaity as DUDE SACRIFICE LMAO, even if with tge greeks and such people have no issues focusing on the non violent stuff

Attached: aztec poetry.png (612x2286, 777K)

>original art has a bunch of detail
>fan art takes le anime route XD and removes the detail
Cringe

Also is known to be a fun guy at parties for being both the god of sorcery and being the fucking smoke and mirrors.

>DUDE SACRIFICE LMAO
It's a shame this seems to define so much of people's understanding of Aztec culture. In Aztec mythology most gods found it unappealing and prefered humans didn't kill themselves for them. The only god I know that was said to enjoy it was Tezcatlipoca, who we established was an asshole.

Aztecs were even more overdesigned than the japs

Attached: Luso.jpg (1280x1426, 461K)

That what I meant with the "brutal".
Aztec are aways portraied this way and some works even put heat sacrifices to quetzalcoalt

And made quetz a girl?

>AFAIK there's a bit of a debate if Ometeotl was even a god that was actually worshipped or not.
Interesting, sorry but knowledge of mesoamerican lore isn't the best and I'm just familiar that that name is commonly thrown around. I'll have to research that.

So what's this about Tezcatlipoca being the "God of sorcery"? I never was able to find much about it.

Sanitarium. One of the acts in the game has you control Olmec and you need to kill Quetzalcoatl.

I read some stuff that say Ometeotl is the primordial god or gods that made the universe, the beings, or being, that resides in the 13th and final plane of aztec heaven.

I imagine that may just be one of the aspects tacked on to him later on, I've never really found much info on that either. From understanding the two things he was primarily known for were night/darkness and death.

path of exile gets dangerously close

I'm not super informed on that whole Ometeotl thing myself; AFAIK it basically centers around the fact that Miguel Leon-Portilla proposes the idea of Ometeotl as a diety/cosmoloigiucal concept in some of his work, and while he's considered the primerier expert on Nahua cosmology and philsophy, and as such is widely respected, his conclusions about it are extrapolative

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3dw2tr/was_ometeotl_a_real_aztec_diety/?st=jxgv5q54&sh=97759a53 seems to go into it a bit. James Maffie's work is also mentioned, who like Portilla, is respected a lot but has also been criticized for being very extrapolatyive and moreso then even portilla, valueing/interpreting Nahua cosology through a purely philsophical/metaphysical rather then a diety based lense (IE gods as natural processes rather then as gods), when that wouldn't reflect thr actual understanding of the average nahua commoner, and,if at all, would only reflect certain nahua cademics/philsophers/theologians

When Spaniards came, they destroyed most of the records and monuments for being heretic.
Ironically most things we know about Aztecs come from the people they routinely rekt and thus hated them, that's why they have this game of being barbaric, uncivilized and bloodthirsty.
Imagine what would English history be if France was the one recording it.

Attached: funny-cartoon-invaders-leader-religion.jpg (540x343, 51K)

dark souls 1

he drugged quetzalcoatl so he fucked his sister in his druken stupor and then was exiled.

I mean his name means "smoking mirror", which is in reference to using mirrors as divinatory tools.

Sorry m8 but that's just not true.

Yes, the Spanish burned virtually every book they came across, but various Spanish firars and Aztec people themselves re-recorded a lot of information about Aztec history and culture in the colonial period. We have hundreds of Aztec and Spanish language documents. Duran's A History of the Indies of New Spain for example is hundreds of pages detailing aztec history down to specific statements by political officials going back centuries, see pic; while Sahagun's similarly titled A General History of the Things of New Spain is like 2000 pages of specific info on daily life, medical practices, crafts and art, social and legal/adminstrative systems, religion, and other elements of society.

There's pretty decent documentation on at least the political history of the classical maya too thanks to a bunch of surviving inscriptions detailing the history of key events in the histories of a bunch of cities that survived even if most of the books didn't: We can trace the specific political histories and their construction projects, wars, ascensions, alliances, etc, same for the mixtec, though due to surviving books rather then inscriptions Other civilizations such as the Zapotec, Purepecha, etc fare less well, since very few of their books or inscriptions survive and there's not as many colional period records, but there's still more then you'd think.

So we know more about Mesoamerican civilizations then you imagine, it's just that we'd know like 100x more, as much as like the romans and shit, if not for the spanish burnings.

1/2

Attached: A General History of the Indies of New Spain chapter 43 page 1.png (498x845, 478K)

Like i said, fun at parties!

No. They got conquered by CASTILLIAN BVLLS and got erased from history forever.

Attached: know you're meme filename.png (1000x1000, 137K)

You have to go back.

Attached: 1561078597481m.jpg (1024x708, 74K)

cont:

>Ironically most things we know about Aztecs come from the people they routinely rekt and thus hated them,

The idea of the Aztec being a brutal oppressive empire everybody hated is a meme. Like most Mesoamerican empires, they didn't actually directly rule the people they conquered, in their case, they isntead just demanded annual taxes of economic goods, and were required to assist on military campaigns and such: they weren't having their people dragged off as slaves or sacrifices, and on that note, the vast majority of sacrifices were enemy soldiers captured in battle, not civillians; and every mesoamerican culture had some form of human sacrifice or blood worship as a practice anyways.

That's not to say the Aztec empire weren't warmongers, they were, and to an extent they were disliked for that and being a militaristically expanionist state, and everybody hates paying taxes, but they weren't like, an imperalist oppressive regime or anything. Generally speaking, the vast majority of the city-states that aided the spanish against the Aztec captial did so rather out of geopolitical oppurntism, I go into all this more here: pastebin.com/h18M28BR

Something I don't mention in that pastebin though and what I THINK you are referencing, is how a lot of our sources from Acolhua nobles demonize the Mexica: The Acolhua were the Nahuas along the eastern side of the valley, while the Mexica were the Nahuas in the Aztec captial: Depending on how you define "Aztec"; both groups are Aztec, but a lot of people and presumbly you use "Aztec" to speffically mean the Mexica

2/3 actually need one more post

Probably because he's popular, being a classic Mesoamerican archetype of the freaky-looking rain god and thus having deeper roots than some of the other Aztec gods.

Myth-wise, while he was one of the failed suns in the previous worlds, he's not a Tezcatlipoca, so he's not on the level of the big four (Huitzilopochtli, Quetzalcoatl, Xipe Totec, and (Black) Tezcatlipoca).

cont:

The Acolhua city of Texcoco, and the second most powerful city after Tenochtitlan (the Aztec captial) ended up aiding the Spanish due to Tenochtitlan having favored one of two sons of the former Texcocoan king after he died, and the other son not favored by Tenochtitlan got assmad and launched a civil war when the spanish showed up, siding with them, overtook texcoco, and then particpated in the siege against Tenochtitlan.

Subsquently, you see a lot of nobles/descedents of royalty from Texcoco, who made some of those colionqal period sources I mention, demonize the Mexica and make them out to sacrifice more people then they did and as warlike savages while painting the Acolhua as refined, cultured academics, and even claiming that that king who died, Nezahualcoyotl, actually worshipped a singular god that's actually jesus.

Now, Nezahualcoyotl even without the whiteashing was a renowneed poet and engineer, and even before the Spanish showed up, the Mexica were generally sterotyped as more martially focused, vs the Acolhua as more cultured (think Sparta vs Athens), but this was way inflated in Acolhua accounts. The book "The Allure of Nezahualcoyotl" is all about this. You see somewthing similar when Cortes and co arrived in the city of Cempoala (belonging to the Totonac civilization) and the cempolans make up this big sob story about how the Aztec tax them too much and how there's an Aztec fort in a nearby city they want to be free off, and convibnce the Spanish to raze that city, and OOPS there was no fort all along it was just their primary geopolitical rival in the area: Basically this sort of demonization stuff doesn't really come from a place of ACTUAL hate or the Aztecs being ACTUALLY super evil, so much as it being propoganda to justify their gepolitical scheming, the sort I mention in the pastebin

So I guess that part of what you were saying is "sort" of true, but not the way I think you thought it was.

3/3

So why did he have a temple in the Great Pyramid?

Because he was still important over the rest of the Aztec gods, since he played a role in creating the world and stuff. He's just fifth place.

Monster Hunter’s entire aesthetic before World was based on Aztec art and patterns.

>learning actual interesting and useful things on Yea Forums
And here I thought I would never see the day, thank history user.

Speaking of Tezcatlipoca, who can forget the great tragedy of Huemac.

Attached: aztecs likes them thic.jpg (1228x2048, 187K)

there was an RTS back in the early 2000s that had a aztec/mayan looking faction.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 166K)

Attached: Check these dubs.png (586x898, 441K)

source?

no problem

Here's a bunch of prior posts of mine/more resources too

>Info on Quality of life/society in the aztec captial desuarchive.org/his/thread/5446429/#5466013
>Info on aztec sacrifice practices, religious cosmology and metaphysical philosophy: desuarchive.org/his/thread/5495687/ ; ignore the other anons being oboxious, also see re: disclaimer about natural procceses being extrapolative
>Info on Aztec warfare: archived.moe/k/thread/39206407
>Info on on metallurgy, watercraft, and briefly on politics and administration: desuarchive.org/his/thread/4232340/#4233526, way more info on politcs here pastebin.com/h18M28BR
>Info on why the Conquest of Mexico was extremely lucky and how itt easily could have failed, if not the lack of widespread colonization of the Americas in general desuarchive.org/his/thread/5526254/#5526329 and shorter version: boards.fireden.net/v/thread/441551507/#441565260
>An overall summery of Mesoamerican history: desuarchive.org/his/thread/4176613 Albeit the posts posts 11 to 16 in the main reply chaiin about the founding of the Aztec empire is made obsolete by the other series of /his/ posts I did: desuarchive.org/his/thread/5285820/#5290147; see also pic related
>A brief overview of city sizes, hydraulics, sanitation, and botany: desuarchive.org/his/thread/5506706/#5528829 and a much, much longer version which I never finished here: desuarchive.org/k/thread/39546199/#39557233

Most importantly, here desuarchive.org/his/thread/5446429/#5453842, I link to a mega drive with tons of book scans and some art, as well as a reddit post that includes a collection of askhistorians posts, a booklist, and reccomends specific primary sources as well as artists; while drive.google.com/open?id=15iey5ZMTHflLHbMVGPRsyBLKLcHGCsKb is a much larger collection of art that will eventually get added to the mega

Attached: mesoamerican history summary.png (1457x1520, 346K)

already mentioned in

Yo, Rus, did you know videogames exist since the 70s? That's 40 years before Twitter. Care to rethink your moronic pol- filtered view on reality?

love you aztecbros, keep it up
heres a pic of my cat

Attached: 64855511-31E8-4B49-9E60-D5CF95460471.jpg (2194x3128, 818K)

bumping, interested in hearing re: MH

thanks user

Central Mexican aeshetics could indeed get a bit Garish for building interiors, as seen here, the murals inside buildings at the ruins of Teotihuacan, etc.

Attached: Aztec noble homes, from Reed 1 Year, museum catalog book on the work of Scott and Stuart Gentling.jp (2546x2926, 3.51M)

Mid and right are cute they can have my bp.

Too much history and not enough VIDYA.
NOW
PICK YOUR
CLASS!

Attached: 1512857058202-2.jpg (3150x2173, 1.46M)

This is why the Dark Souls threads a shat up by the Aztec fag. It's fucking awesome and should be in.

I never actually go into Dark Souls thread and post shit, in my defense: I happen to be browsing Yea Forums, posting about vidya, and IF I see somebody else bring up Aztec stuff I'll comment.

Me dumping 10 paragraphs of info on Aztec theology or whatever only happens if I see other people posting misinfo I wanna correct; or when it's explictly on topic like in threads like this where history/cultureal inspiration is the topic

I wanna be a Man-Jaguar.

Tlacochcalcatl reporting in

Attached: tlacochcalcatl aztec.jpg (748x1345, 181K)

here's your creator goddess bro

Attached: coatlicue 2.jpg (564x931, 79K)