He solved it!

No more questions needed!

youtube.com/watch?v=B19nlhbA7-E

Discuss

Attached: #solved.png (1920x1080, 884K)

Fuck, he just told me to have my own opinion.

It's on youtube, so it's correct

How come no one's just done a live test yet? Seems pretty easy to set up.

It was already confirmed by Gabe to be A

I did a live test and B is correct

9 words
I made it 9 words in until I couldn't bear to listen to your faggy voice anymore
kill yourself

Because in the game when you stand in a portal you die.

It was always A.

>I did a live test
OMG ARE U OK?

>How could a stationary object exit a stationary portal while remaining stationary
He literally forgot that gravity exists

Attached: 1363052156306.png (250x418, 121K)

I feel like just having a rudimentary understanding of physics would lead you to believe A is the most likely outcome.

>gravity
doesn't keep things stationary, it accelerates them

I'm 100% a B-fag and everything he says in this video is exactly what I've been saying for years. If the cube was stationary when it came out the other side, it'd flatten into an atom-thin square pancake.

god this part pissed me off so much. The orange portal fully encases the cube, so why wouldn't the cube just fall out of blue?

The video mentions speed, not velocity. I would assume that vectors such as acceleration and velocity are excluded in this scenario. Even the original image had no mention of gravity.

that's assuming you're foregoing the very apparent wormhole function in favor of that assbackwards "cloning" shit
as soon as an object is in a portal, it's then being imposed by two forces of gravity. once half of it is through the portal, it will naturally start dropping through by itself as a result of GRAVITY

>once half of it is through the portal
You can't get half through it without moving. The exit is stationary.

Cut a hole through a sheet of paper
place a cube on a table
Slam the sheet over the cube so that it goes through the hole
Does the cube gain momentum and shoot up into the air?
No?
Then A is the answer
Yes?
I'm interested in your sheet of paper

>not slamming the table so hard the shockwaves bounce the cube
WEAK

The cube is stationary but the portal isn't. The cube would also be affected by gravity as soon as it went to the other side.

>The exit is stationary.
entry and the exit are the same point in spacetime. it doesn't matter if one of them is stationary.

The entry point is moving.

This has always been a retarded question and making a video about it doesn't make it any less retarded.

>Having a table so weak that anything less than a meteor can bounce it
Sounds like you're not ready for your house to collapse spontaneously

I always thought this argument was a meme. B is retard logic

>Even the original image had no mention of gravity.
well yes because if the retard who made the image knew how gravity worked, there wouldn't be a second option
it's also a supremely stupid point to argue that gravity shouldn't be assumed

The entry is not the exit. The exit which you won't ever be getting out of without moving. Since it's stationary. The exit, that is.
>entry and the exit are the same point in spacetime
And the exit is stationary, so you'll be staying there forever until you move.

If you can't see why both scenarios are correct then you're a brainlet.

>Gabe
>the same retard that can't even count to three (3)
Wow I'm convinced!

>so you'll be staying there forever until you move.
that's what gravity is for, genius

that's the best part of physics though. You can create scenarios that are completely bizarre unless specified otherwise

>scared of collapsing houses
L
M
A
O

It's going to push you up through the portal? I don't think so.

That is well thought out response. But it can never truly be tested until humans learn to manipulate space in 3 dimensions.

no, retard-kun. space is going to warp around you and gravity will decide which way you're going to fall depending on how much of your is on either side of the portal
try to keep up

both are equally valid, because the very concept of portals breaks conservation of momentum, which is a consequence of the rule that governs displacements (all of you have an implicit understanding of this).
If you posit that the rule is broken, then it naturally follows that things get to behave weirdly, and the paradox of portals is one of such weird behaviours.

I explained this thing 6 times already, but nobody ever pays attention. I can only hope somewhere, sometimes, some user will listen to my words. That would give me a tiny amount of happiness.

>how much of your is on either side of the portal
It's nothing on the other side unless you're moving. The exit is stationary.

Could you repeat that? I didn't read lol.

Then what is giving the cube kinetic energy? Nothing is physically pushing the cube to make it suddenly gain velocity

I think we have more fun arguing about it than coming to a conclusion about it. The correct answer is B btw

I like to think of it in terms of slices of moments. First moment, one small portion of the cube goes through the portal and is now on the blue side. Now the next portion needs to come through, but the space is occupied by the first portion. It has to push the first slice out of the way in order to occupy that space. Now the third section has to come through, and pushes the second section out of the way, which pushes the first section out of its spot, etc, etc. Repeat this until 99.99% of the cube has gone through. Now the final slice comes through, and pushes all those previous slices out of the way. Now 99.99% of the cube is in motion.

it doesn't matter if the exit is stationary because the entry portal is not. the portal being able to move inherently means space can be bent around

all right you missed me where that piece of paper can instantly move an object to another place
so if i cut a hole in 2 sheets of paper and i put one in your mommy room and one in my living room, can i go to your mommys room if i walk through the hole in the paper????? no because its not the same thing you fucking retard

user no why are you hurting me

Attached: 1536644655012.png (957x541, 29K)

Your responce requires that 3D space be reduced to 2 dimensions; for a 3D entity to pass through 2D space. We do that all the time. But we live in a 4D space. We move through 3 dimensions and are carried along a fourth dimension of time. I can move about my mother's basement, but I cannot move back to the time I chose to stay in bed instead of taking my calculus final. Checkmate dimensionfag

The cube moves. It's in one place one moment and then in another place the next. This requires energy. Both A and B take energy.

Can we make a troll generator out of this?

>because the entry portal is not
So you're entering. But the exit is stationary. So unless you move out of it, you're not exiting.

dude, a little late to the party on that one

>he thinks that space is only 3 dimensional

time is not a spatial dimension
might as well say we live in 5 and include smell, or second hand embarrassment for stupid autists as another

this

space time is already colliding and warping upon itself long before you enter the portal. assuming it remains stable enough to even reach you it's safe to assume that space is merely bending around you

Fuck, I think you may be onto something

B

Can't place portals on moving objects

Y'aint wrong. But his example was shitty nonetheless

and you're going to get bent permanently, since you insist on not ever moving out of the portal, or wormhole, or whichever other word you want to try for it

gravity is going to make you move, and it starts exactly as soon as you start crossing

when i tried it the cube got stuck instead of going through the portal. it's probably engine limitations

all objects are moving

Not moving relative to what retard. The planet the fucking lab is built on is moving.

You don't cross squat. You can't get out of the exit without moving. You enter, you don't leave. You're stuck.

The portal doesn't move anything. That's the point, it's literally a wormhole, a fold between two points in space. There is no physical difference between a piece of paper with a hole and two portals placed on opposite sides of the room.

it's fake, because portals can't move

Wrong. At the end of Portal 2, Chell places one portal on earth and one on the moon. A little bit before the end of portal 2, Chell places a portal on a wall section so that it moves laterally.

well you're obviously incapable of envisioning the fabric of spacetime as I can, so this is pointless to continue

the portal's movement is an illusion

k

only because the game engine literally can't handle it
canonically it can, as the earth is always hurdling through space. further proved by also being able to shoot a portal straight to the moon

That would mean that the moon's movement is an illusion

>placed on opposite sides of the room
cant see how thats remotely similar this meme experiment where one side is moving towards an object and the other side is in another place facing another direction altogether

Relativity. Relative to the entrance portal the cube is moving upward. So when it emerges from the other side of the portal, it should be moving relative to the portal still.
It's all moot since we don't know the physics if the portals themselves.

this is a philosophical question, but some people believe all movement is an illusion

>Portal 2
Retcon

SeeIn your example the cube is moving relative to the hole both as it enters and exists the hole. Why would the portal be different?

That's not a real portal paradox, the rocket one is the real deal

Portals can't move relative to one another.

Attached: Portal_Mechanic_Truth.jpg (700x4989, 649K)

irrelevant, the earth is moving and if portals are placed at different heights their velocity is inherently different from one another

>Portals can't move relative to one another.
it literally happens in-game

Their velocity is different but they don't move in relation to one another

based

they already do

Attached: 784746846687.png (512x319, 5K)

what exactly do you mean by "moving in relation to each other" if not that?

the distance between them remains the same

Just because he is a living example of extreme physics and quantum algorithms doesn't mean he's qualified to talk about shit like this

It's like that fag that made GIFs
Just because he madebthem doesn't mean you can just fuck the English language off and make the rules up how to pronounce your acronyms.

Imagine a record. On one physical spot of the record is an etching of a person saying "ura", and then on another spot of the record closer to the center is an etching a person saying "faget". You play the record and it spins. The spot that contains "ura" has a greater velocity than the spot that contains "faget", but they're always 15cm apart from one another. It doesn't matter if you spin the record even faster so that the velocity "ura" is even larger degree greater than the velocity of "faget", they're still 15cm apart from one another. urafaget never moves in relation to one another

this. B fags make no sense

checkmate, A-theists

Attached: 1536000776838.jpg (938x546, 99K)

samefagging retard

No, A retards make no sense. Of the cube has no relative momentum it might emerge from the blue side as a atom thin sheet, or some kind of unforseen phenomenon. That sounds silly and impossible, which is basically because A just doesn't work at all

You're lying down and an orange portal is moving down toward your dick. Does your dick just go through the blue portal as it should, or do you suddenly accelerate and get pulled cock first out the portal

its A

Attached: riddle me this.png (1471x387, 16K)

That's not an explanation. The only movement the cube is making is falling under the force of gravity down the slope of the exit portal's platform.

Nobody has explained how the kinetic force of the piston can be directly transferred to the cube such that B would happen. The only way I can see is that the vibrations from the platform the cube is sitting on that result from the impact of the piston's striking surface not covered by the portal would knock the cube off. But they wouldn't send it flying as if the cube were sitting on the piston itself and was launched by it, which is what B depicts.

If relativity applies, then why do we ignore the relative momentum of the non-moving platform, as is done in answer B?

>That's not an explanation.
It isn't. I'm saying that "what is giving the cube kinetic energy?" can be asked about both A and B. It isn't exclusive to B. It takes kinetic energy to move something and the cube is being moved in both examples. The question is about whether it maintains that movement after the fact. Where it gets its energy from isn't relevant.

You're vastly over-complicating it. The problem is basically this: how do portals work?

Do portals open two different connected holes in space, wherein the center of a portal is empty of forces capable of performing work - much like a literal doorway? Or, do they function as a form of teleportation - the portal itself being comprised of energy that works to move the object?

If the first suggestion is correct, then A is correct. If the second suggestion is correct, then B is correct.

yeah, its a

Why the fuck do we have two threads for this? Fuck off.

>That's not an explanation
No, it's a counterargument. If both require energy, then A, or whichever it was, requiring energy is not an argument against it being A. That's not an argument for B, anymore, since it's countered. By the counter-argument. It's just a meaningless statement. You see, you didn't ask for an explanation. You made an argument. YOu got a counter-argument.
>Nobody has explained how the kinetic force
And nobody has to. Nobody has explained how it can magically create potential energy either , that's just a logical consequence of being able to fucking teleport all willy nilly.
me brain hurt is not a fucking argument

Good point. There is a rotating frame of reference in which they do not move with respect to one another.

>You're vastly over-complicating it. The problem is basically this: how do portals work?
I'd say you're overcomplicating it. It doesn't matter where the energy comes from. You don't need to understand how portals work to try and understand what would happen just like you don't need to understand how gravity works to understand what would happen if you fell out of your chair right now.

Only a retard-riddled place like Yea Forums would ever even entertain the notion that b is possible. You are absolutely fucking retarded if you think that.

It is a.

/thread

nice argument

Fine, mr smartypants. It will distort the cube as the thin slices of it topple out of it, and you get an accordeon cube. Except in case where the portal is vertical, then it would pile up just like he said.

Why would our laws of physics apply to something that clearly violates them?

Maybe you should watch the video, before saying retarded shit.

A isn't valid because the cube will gain speed merely from being extruded through the blue portal at the same rate it enters, if not from maintaining the velocity of each atom them because it's pushed by the other atoms standing in line behind it

What happens if it's left open?

Attached: portals2.jpg (652x558, 193K)

I don't know enough about air pressure to answer how long it would take to drain the entire atmosphere this way but it's interesting.

Lol wow dude youre so cool

Wouldn't have to fake the moonlanding again, for one.

Attached: portals.jpg (1600x1020, 231K)

It'd probably take for fucking ever. I don't imagine solar winds being negligible either when you add up an entire planet's surface worth of it

Imagine the orange portal shooting downwards but stopping after covering the box half-way.

Would half of the box shoot out, leaving the other half back? No. B fags are btfo.

Same applies if you accelerated the box toward the portal with a rope attached to stop it halfway through, so you're dumb.

>washed up Youtube "scientist" has solved it
I hate popsci

>pressurized
yeah, at 15 fucking psi come on now
and it's a small fucking hole for a whole planet
a lot of atmosphere to try and cram in there with not much of a pressure differential

it is without a doubt b because objects cannot move through space without having momentum unless you're actually moving space around the objects but that is not how portals work

it's literally and unironically A

but why tho

No, because the rope would stop the box as entered the portal, bringing its speed to 0

>that voice
closed immediately

It's A. Imagine the portal is just a hole; If you slam a platform with a hole in it onto an object, will the object suddenly fly out the hole? No, it would stay stationary.

Portal dev already answered

Attached: 1558028180004.png (1714x788, 203K)

what?

I can understand you fucking imbeciles not understanding basic biology, It gets murky frequently. But holy shit basic physics? The fucking portal existing throws known laws into the trash so anything goes.
I hope no one trick you brainless fucks into eating detergent as If it were candy with some dumb chemistry meme.