Doom

>doom
>wow that was fun, and it still holds up today
>doom 2
>WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON
If doom 2 was released today you guys would hate it

Attached: 220px-Doom_II_-_Hell_on_Earth_Coverart.png (220x221, 115K)

Nah, I recently played through both of them a couple times. Doom 2's enemy additions were pretty great and rounded out the cast nicely. The upped enemy count in the maps was very welcome too. There were a lot more shitty or generally dislikeable levels in Doom 2, but the nice thing about your game having mod support is that that issue is easily amended.

Doom 2 is better you just have shit taste

There's a reason 99% of community made maps use Doom 2 and not Doom 1

There's a reason SIGIL was so mediocre.

Doom II is only good for is assets (SSG+new textures and new enemies). As a game, even Doom II is absolute shit tier compared to even 20 year old fanmade Doom II wads.

Choosing Doom over Doom II is maybe the plebest opinion that can possibly exist.

>Doom 2 is so bad, nothing can sav-

Attached: Best Weapon.png (615x250, 6K)

Fuck are you talking about? I've been playing Doom recently and I still like it. Eternal seems also awesome, not the same feeling as I had with DOOM II, but yeah, it's presenting itself pretty nice.

But you're kinda right OP, people are so fucking retarded that they'd not enjoy good games today.

it's good if you're competent at doom, which not many people are now.

Competent? What? xD

>Knee Deep in the Dead
good mapset, still holds up to this day
>Shores of Hell
pretty passable, kinda standard
>Inferno
mostly boring, too many cacodemons, too many barons
>Thy Flesh Consumed
balls to the walls hard, maps range from decent to mediocre

>Doom 2
pretty hit or miss from start to finish
some maps are fantastic, some are a boring slog
gets a bad rap because of peterson's city levels

now if you really want a terrible officially licensed mapset, play TNT Evilution

Practice? What about hand holdies?

>if X was released today, people would hate it just as much as they hate Y!
this argument never fails to amuse

what the fuck are you yammering about

ep4 really isn't that hard, Plutonia is much harder and also very good

Saying all of TFC is that hard would be an overstatement since it's really just the first two levels, E4M2 especially since Romero decided a fuckton of barons split between two rooms would be fun on the second level. At least he gave us a pit of lost souls to hose down with the pure hate of hot plasma to make up for it. Other than that, E4 is mostly smooth sailing.

Doom 2 has bizarre and frequently kind of shitty level design, but the significant increase in enemies and ammo make the moment to moment gameplay more fun. Strange game.

But what's the point of saying that? Competent? Doom is all about shooting demons and doing massacre, how does it have anything to the topic?

Reminder that the SSG is a crucially bad addition which singlehandedly ruins Doom 2, even if its level design didn't do that for it.

Attached: 1528887295151.jpg (389x411, 40K)

That one level with the lava floors in the middle was just as bad, and you went into that with a stack of weapons and armor.

If Doom 2 didn't have significantly more enemies per map than Doom 1 you might have a point, but luckily it did and the super shotgun was a welcome addition in killing them.

Doom 1: Very good
Doom 2: Also Very Good, even better with mods
Doom 3: It's good, but it feels more like Dead Space (which is not necessarily a bad thing)
Doom 4 (2016) Very good
Doom 5 (Eternal) Looks very promising
Doom 64: THE BEST

The one with the Cyberdemon at the end? There are a few radsuits, so once you get how the teleporters work and what order to go in, the level isn't hard. You should have a BFG for the Cyberdemon after M2, so it's not that bad.

Was this a hot meme back in the day?

I'm not very familiar with doom 3 but what monsters from that game would you like to see in Eternal? I enjoy Hell Knights in 2016 a lot so I assume they could do something interesting with the other guys from 3

Attached: hell knight.png (636x859, 403K)

doom 2 has the best shotty, and nothing else over 1. both of them beat out plutonia and evilution though, that was the absolute worst doom game next to 3

Which Doom do I need to play Brutal Doom?

That's a huge part of the problem. It was massively more effective at killing lots of enemies, meaning the enemy count needed to be brought up to match. That made most of the existing weaponset largely useless.
Not from what I can tell. The existing opinion was usually that it was AWESOME and EPIC until like 2015 or so. Personally I think most of the people that valued gameplay just stuck with Quake instead of Doom over the years.

>once you mentally map out most of the level and run through it all fast enough to not get cought out with a radsuit it's not that hard
Well yeah. Even then, it pulls shit like point blank cyberdemons. It's far from impossible, but it's still pretty close to the peak of difficulty that can be achieved in Doom without going full slaughtermap.

Rockets are still more powerful and plasma is more efficient at wiping out groups of enemies at once but its ammo tends to be much less plentiful.
The real problem is the basic shotgun is too weak, and is really only useful in killing lower tier enemies.

either

>That made most of the existing weaponset largely useless.
Nigga, the SSG didn't even make the basic shotgun useless. The basic shotgun had much better effective range and was occasionally better for retaining ammo. It became a bit more niche, but it was still good.

please google what competent means

I'd argue that outside of that basic thing you need to remember (which is really as simple as the order of 4 teleporters you need to take and can be picked up after 1-2 playthroughs without effort), the level is pretty easy, provided you can time the BFG for peeking the corner or just strafe between the Cyberdemon's bursts of rockets.

I hope they bring back the monitor head demons from ROE. I found them pretty cool thematically.

>xD
>>>/reddit/

nice meme dude, 2 has more competent enemies so the level designer doesn't need to resort to claustrophobia, sergeants and damage floors to have difficult levels, which is what thy flesh consumed (or the shit flushed down as I like to call it) does every level. The levels are much more dynamic and interesting and have stronger concepts that most 1 levels since most of those are flat Tom Hall mazes converted into deimos/hell levels. The color palette is a shame though, most of the textures are brown, even the sky is brown in the first episode. Some levels are hot junk like Industrial zone, Nirvana and Barrels o' fun. Though, it also has the best doom level, Monster Condo.

2 is my favorite though, so nah

why the fuck would you WANT to play Brootal Doo, voluntarily??

Speaking of Brutal Doom, I'm curious what people think about Project Brutality. From what I've heard, most people's issues with BD have to do with the guy making it, bad coding, and feature bloat rather than the basic premise. Curious because I've been trying out Project Brutality and having [buzzword].

>Knee Deep in the Dead
>good mapset, still holds up to this day
Yup, definitely the best maps in the game not to mention it's the most difficult episode of the original 3
>Thy Flesh Consumed
>balls to the walls hard, maps range from decent to mediocre
The first 3 maps are balls to the wall hard, then it's easy for 2-3 maps followed by 1 or 2 really hard maps again. I agree that it's all over the place though, kind of like it's a handful of random custom maps they've slapped together. There's no real flow or connection between them like with Knee Deep in the Dead.

Putting the Super Shotgun in II pretty much changes the game, cause in DOOM if you didn't find a Berserk you usually just hung back and shotgunned, cacodemons, hang back and shotgun, lost souls took more at least 2 shells to kill, or alot of chaingun ammo. With the super you can kill most of the chafe enemies in one shot, letting you use your other guns on beefier targets. Which makes the game faster and ultimately more fun. Still love DOOM though.

Friendly reminder that No Rest For The Living is peak (official) Doom.

Doom 2 is weird, the enemy and weapon additions are great, but the levels after the halfway point start becoming a hot mess with dumb gimmicks

>doom
>wow that was fun, and it still holds up today
lol

Wrong. They had better variety of enemies that nicely filled the sorely lacking mid tier niche that was in Doom 1. They bought in the SSG, which is an awesome weapon, albeit it suffered from using shotgun ammo and thus always being readily available at all times, massively diminishing the roles of other weapons, still you can't say that it wasn't a nice addition. The maps range from excellent to garbage, just like the original Doom, and don't pretend that large sections of Doom episode 2 and 3 weren't boring grinds because they were and you know it, yes, the weird experimental levels of Doom 2 didn't really pan out so well, but they were at least more interesting than the dull mid section of Doom 1.
Overall it is an excellent game and a worthwhile successor.

brutal doom and project brutality are so cringeworthy. superfluous blood, weapon reloading, iron sights, enemy health bars, glory kills, list goes on. why mod doom to make it imitate shittier games with features that ruin the experience? those mods are so mind-numbingly juvenile

Attached: 1514450280839.png (760x839, 760K)

I think when people say episode 4 is hard they are specifically referring to the first level which is a fucking ballbuster on UV.

Its the definition of bloat.

LE RIP AND TEAR AMIRITE XD

SUPER
SHOTGUN

>There's a reason 99% of community made maps use Doom 2 and not Doom 1
Because its assets you retard. other than that doom 2 is worse than 1

the first two levels on UV is like seeing your best friend for most of your life bang your wife and daughter while giving you a fat middle finger.

>Doom 64: THE BEST
the ultimate pleb opinion

Any port for doom 64?

I wouldn't know about the 2nd level, as I have ascended beyond the realms of the virgin pistol start

none because you shouldn't be playing brutal doom.

doom 64 ex
doom 64 in doom 2

The only thing about Doom 2 that sucks are some of the shitty vanilla maps. That is all.

>thinks DOOM doesn't hold up today
ok retard

Is it better to play it on n64 or to just play EX?

>is it better to play a classic fps with a shit controller and framerate then better controls and higher framerate
Take a wild guess

Completed 1 and 2 last month and they do hold up extremely well.

Doom II has some of the best level ever in the doom serie. But it also has some of the worst (Fuck The chasm).
Still most of the game is really good

> but it feels more like Dead Space
> Not like System Shock
Plebbest of plebs here.