What is the best and worst console generation and why?

What is the best and worst console generation and why?

Attached: umvGG.png (918x1130, 339K)

6, by a country mile.

Why through?

The extremely old Atari generation where you basically had Atari and then everyone else directly copying their console and games almost literally to the point that 2 games would have different names but be the exact same space shooter.

The dreamcast, wii, wiiu, and switch do not fit into convential console generations

the dreamcast is sort of a stepping stone between the 5th and 6th gen consoles, and the wii completely de-tracked nintendo from the rest of the market.

Best gen is debatable but this gen is absolutely the worst and it's not even a contest. There's no fucking games.

Either IV or V.
Also, was the ps2 really that much more popular? I knew it was more popular but according to the graph it was more popular than all the others combined.

7th. Only an absolute zoomer would say otherwise. I could count the number of good games from that miserable gen on one hand.

also

this, easily.

It's got the perfect balance of technical/hardware power, and creative games/variety.

7th and 8th gens are obviously more powerful, but the 7th gen also saw the decline of smaller studios and more consolidation of the types of games that got made. The PS2 also having the greatest library of any game console ever also helps.

I'd say

6 > 7 > 4 = 5 > 8 >>> 3

and this is adjusting for time/judging each gen for it's time. If you aren't giving older gens slack then 8 moves up below 7

best was 4th or 5th and worst was 7th

FUCKING THIS the sheer amount of games that used to come out during the sixth gen and now is fucking night and day

It was very popular but sales != customer base for the PS2. The console had a very high failure rate. It was not unusual for someone to be buying a second or even a third replacement PS2. GC and xbox were not nearly as notorious for failing.

>DVD replaces CD (Xbox and PS3)
Should be PS2. Also seems like an outdated graphic regardless.

Elder god tier
6th
top tier
4th
mid tier
5th
low tier
8th, 3rd
shit tier
7th
too dated at this point tier
1st and 2nd

Do you remember a period in seventh where it felt like every fucking game was trying to be call of duty? I remember thinking halo four even felt like cod

Yeah, PS2s acted as affordable DVD players in addition to being gaming consoles.

either 4 or 6

4 was where 2d gaming peaked and 6 was where 3D game design finally became fully realized

Attached: 1559865380703.jpg (1934x768, 218K)

Fuck off
ODYSSEY NIGGAS

>implying
Friendly reminder Atari will win 9th gen

>too dated at this point tier
>1st and 2nd
Zoomer spotted

>Do you remember a period in seventh where it felt like every fucking game was trying to be call of duty?
Yes, 7th gen was mostly made up of games that wanted to cash in on either CoD or Gear's popularity. The vast majority of games from that gen were so goddamn forgettable.

>PS3
>No N64
Fuck off segautist

I'm 33. Most Atari games were shit. Deal with it grandpa.

3D dot game heroes was kino though
So is my peanus weanus :D

>PS2s acted as affordable DVD players
A PS2 was roughly double the price of your average standalone DVD player on release. Within a couple of years they were more than five times the price of a standalone DVD player.

I'm 20. I just bought an Atari and have had hours of fun trying to beaty friends' high scores in Pac-Man and Battlezone
Even ET is alright once you learn how it works
Get better opinions, gramps

Don't you know it's trendy to hate the n64 now

3rd gen was when video games became a viable entertainment medium.
4th gen was when 2D games were perfected
5th gen mad 3D games viable-- 2D games were still around but had already peaked.
6th gen was the best generation for 3D games. Medium budget titles were king and there was a huge variety of genres. 2D gaming was mostly dead but that's not bad.
7th gen was the start of all the worst trends in gaming. There were still some good games and there was an increased interest in retro gaming, but the best was behind us. Every AAA game had to be Call of Duty or Gears of War.

4th and 5th have all the GOATs.
The current generation doesn't seem to have produced many games that will be thought of as classics, but it's produced more quality games than anyone has time to play. Early generations had more great games, but they also had a lot of garbage.

>PS3

Bait

>Master System 1983
>NES 1985

Attached: IMG_1006.png (347x538, 446K)

I really like old Atari games Rolfe said it best theres just a feeling you get when playing those games at night with there limited graphics and sound effects

It had no games

See this.

6 was definitely the best. A good mix of experimental and standard games. All the systems had good exclusives and reasons to own them.
4 was great too. You couldn't possibly go wrong with either the Genesis or SNES.

It literally has some of the highest rated games on metacritic and is routinely voted the best console ever made in polls its just trendy to hate Nintendo

Generation IV is _the_ console war. It's the only time the outcome was up in the air. It was the only time two companies were really fighting. It's the only generation that got way better in the middle because of all the battling innovation.
Gen VI is ok. The dreamcast and its bastard ripoff xbox offered something fairly different from the PS2. After gen VI all the consoles are the all the fucking same with Nintendo being some worthless gimmick toy regardless of how many units it was moving.

It had a small number of good games.

Exactly, that's what I meant. The quantity was what was lacking.

The Dreamcast has a small library as well but that console is considered holy

Yeah, because it was usurped by other consoles early on. Nintendo had no such existential threat.

What were some good to decent gen 7 games? It's so hard to even come up with a top ten list for it. Most games were so bland and forgettable during it. The ones I'm mostly remembering enjoying are
Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Red Dead Redemption
Bioshock
Dead Space
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
3D dot games heroes
Lost Odyssey
I swear, I think I spent that gen playing more retro games and remasters than anything else.

Do you playing anything this gen?

What is the ps1? Go look up n64glenplant on YouTube there a lot of more great n64 games then what people usually talk about

But that's why the earlier generations were so great! You had great games, and really shitty games that you can rip on. You just don't have that as often these days.

Attached: Actor_14.png (300x400, 9K)

>Sega absorbed by Nintendo
hahaha what?

Nintendo had plenty of resources to keep the N64 going, Sega didn't.

Not really. It's just as hard to come up with any sort of top 10.