Kills your optimization and makes you game look like shit

>kills your optimization and makes you game look like shit

Attached: Screenshot_20190625-234159.png (1642x2048, 928K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dgbaumgart.com/2015/07/starsector-trouble-greebles/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

can i get greeble for my car?

>steals your gacha waifus

Attached: accidentally.png (631x448, 44K)

If you did that you'd ruin any chance of it being anyaerodynamic.

Those are usually partially bump mapping which is not resource intensive at all.

Aerodynamics were the worst thing to happen to cars, every single one looks practically the same these days with only very minor difference.

Greeble describes my life quite well.

i don't care, i want a greeble car.

i'm very sure this isn't common enough to warrant both complaints and optimization accusations

stop making this thread

There should be a device called a "Begreebler" that's like a bedazzler but it's for guys and makes all your stuff look like a space ship.

Attached: F7F6A58865A4407CAAC10234C40A8049.jpg (600x600, 239K)

Attached: 1561532447033.jpg (1440x810, 430K)

>(((accidentally)))

Houston we have a greeble.

is that what space looks like from space? woah.

Yeah, space looks exactly like Earth. They just don't want you to know that.

Arent most of those anchor points for harnesses so the astronauts dont float away?

This shit is wrong about what greebles are, it's not just a random texture like they imply (and like the last iteration of this thread thought when I looked at it) but any kind of surface detailing added to make things visually interesting. Things that are added with fictional functional purposes in mind are still greebles, and they can be pretty major things as long as they're not part of the core overall shape of the vehicle/space station/whatever.

Greebling is arbitrary and random. That space station is very much practical and logically placed, hence it's not greebled.

Show us what good looking greebling is then. It's basically just wasting resources to add worthless shapes on armour and weapons that make no sense

I don't intend to fly with my car so I don't really care about it being aerodynamic

Cringe and retardpilled

> someone will fall for this, likely some /int/ poster who will obsess over "muh americans"

>people still think earth isnt flat

Isn't Greeble a mapping, meaning that it simply manipulates the textures and the way they handle lighting, rather than creating more polygons for the GPU to render?

>People still aren't massive retards
Yeah, what a shock.

space is just earth, except it's in space.

OK, how about Mass Effect's Normandy? The things circled in red would all count as greebling if you asked a modeler (3D or physical) or propmaker.

Attached: greeble.jpg (3411x1500, 651K)

Cars look all the same for safety measures not aerodynamics retard
Most aerodynamic cars are like arrows or rockets

Attached: this is you.jpg (662x900, 59K)

Thats not greebling you absolute retard

Attached: jrhxa2jwn03z.png (550x767, 608K)

that pic gave me vertigo

Any of the original Star Wars movies. The term was coined by the model makers cutting up parts from Revell WW2 kits and gluing them on the giant flat triangle that was the Star Destroyer.

>back when cod ww2 came out
>90 fucking GB what the shit
>pc could barely keep 50 fps
>game turned into powerpoint when using the plane strafing run killstreak
>prone in mud during a match one time
>the mud was fucking 3D rendered
Any cod game should be playable on a toaster and has no goddamn business being anywhere near 20 GB in size.

Attached: 1547960028102.gif (320x200, 1.9M)

Yes it is, people are using the term wrong. Listen to any actual TV/movie modeler/propmaker or to most game modelers and they'll use "greeble" for exactly those kinds of details, anything that adds interest or believablity to the basic core shape of the ship. The term was popularized around Star Wars' models and included all kinds of surface detailing, including major features, as long as they were stuff slapped onto (or into) the surface and not part of the base hull.

Soul vs Soulless

>claymore steering wheel mod

real world greeble

Attached: 20171024-20171024-4V0A8318.jpg (900x600, 676K)

>idiot makes same stupid thread multiple days in a row

Attached: thank you Adam Reed.png (458x435, 363K)

how do i become astronaut

If you have to ask that on the video games section of a Malaysian menstrual blood painting board then you're likely too stupid to make it anyway.

what about greeble for my horse?

Its actually a mix of safety/ fashion
Aerodynamic cars wouldnt sell because they are fugly

Attached: stock-photo-classic-architecture-building-ornament-facade-of-old-historical-house-with-soft-red-and- (1500x1021, 1.64M)

I thought it was used to minimize damage in case of impact? Bumps doesn't make it seem "complex".

>Yea Forums zoomers recently learn a vidya term from leedit
>Post it non stop to appear like they know shit about development
Kys OP

Attached: 1559254274707m.jpg (576x1024, 103K)

>takata bankrupt because of this

Im a non-car fag with very little knowledge of physics. How important is it for cars to be anyaerodynamic?

I wish more auto manufacturers would adapt HOLE TECHNOLOGY

If you like not having to fill up with gas often, very. There are other factors that contribute to MPG but aerodynamics is one of them.

imagine falling from that height

Attached: 1561572803490.jpg (1482x1206, 1.1M)

It's ludonarrative dissonance all over again

How would you fall in zero gravity?

Elite ships are a good example of classic spaceship design without unnecessary greeble.

Attached: CygIYsB.jpg (1988x2120, 947K)

>vidya term
you're not wrong, but greeble isn't even related to video games. This is just another Yea Forums thread posted on the wrong board

>greeble
>vidya

That's literally what the space station is constantly doing.

Attached: 1556660888019.png (400x279, 58K)

Suck Elon Musk's cock.

good point. what are instances of excessive greeble though?

is that guy still up there in the tesla?

Except it's not, that is architecture with purpose
Greeble literallly just randomly generates many cuboid shapes on a surface, some plugins have advanced features that let you also place other prefab objects on the generated topology but that's as far as it goes
>source: I've used 3d programs for years and used greeble a shitload

Attached: 1561058473316.jpg (599x453, 28K)

Anything more greebled than Elite ship designs.

The citadel in Half Life 2. Everything the combine builds, really

Attached: hl2.jpg (480x360, 15K)

no but i mean insane greeble. completely superfluous.

Yeah, he has a shitload of other companies now, might even try to take a few jabs at google.

come to think of it, rogue leader might as well be called "greeble: the game."

40k ships

Attached: home-better-bigger-armada.jpg (1024x768, 285K)

Halo wins again, human ships are 10 polygon floating bricks and covenant ships are smooth dildos

what purpose has all that shit? to hide the plain surface behind it, nothing else. It's just for aesthetics, just like your sci-fi greeble - randomly placed shapes on a surface to make it look more interesting

oh man that's a lot of greeble. it looks like a space castle.

Thats wrong, the purpose is to give large object sense of scale without a direct point of reference like a human or anything else to scale.
Also to make things seem moro visually appealing and realistic, as no large object can be constructed in a uniform manner with our technology at lest.

Cringe

greeblet detected

???
Wtf was the point of posting cringe?
Go back to Yea Forums.

Greebles are an excuse to think less in design. Concept artists do it and it's so fucking played out especially since it's always the same 90 degree turns everywhere.

What the absolute fuck are you on.
Combine design is the exact opposite of greeble.

Greeble is just nonsensical noise, every detail on that is clearly designed

star wars is the worst abuse of greeble i've ever seen, especially the star destroyers.

i find that very disgreeble!

this effect might look good if you use it on buildings for that cyberpunkish look, where the lack of space forces people to just add new shit on top of previous

She followed the Yea Forums guide to making cool crystals, now it's your turn!

Attached: 1553598406849.gif (500x375, 1.61M)

That's the point.
The Cathedral like looks is used to ward of Daemons and it's pimpin.

Attached: 194_KxCYKk8.jpg (715x769, 109K)

how much greeble do you think starfield will have to hide the ugly textures?

star destroyers look great

Executor

Attached: Executor_BF2.png (1920x955, 1.4M)

yes they do. i just don't know why the sides of them look like massive cities.

Attached: execbow02.jpg (720x330, 29K)

step one: get very good grades in high school
step two: go to the Air Force Academy
I do not know what the rest of the steps are but there's probably a process after that.

no one can beat the borg when it comes to greebling

Attached: oleg-khvost-borg-cube-01.jpg (1800x1800, 1.09M)

The fuck? Those s ides are almost completely smooth that's like them most ungreebled shit ever.

Star Wars literally created the term

do you think that in large-scale applications, greebling is done by adding polys instead of a fucking normal map? the only reason doom mappers have to do it with level geometry is because no one has made an acceptable way to do it otherwise yet.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 130K)

i mean they are. they’re called flying cities in the eu and nu eu for a reason. they have to house a lot of fucking people to run a ship of that size

>game
Retard

If you arent using it to make small things seem larger you are doing it wrong

to give a sense of scale

anons car that doesnt contain greeble tech

Attached: 6a00e0099229e888330133f4a596c0970b.jpg (525x391, 26K)

The deathdestroyer coined that term and it is made up of functional props. That is greeble by it's definition and if you disagree then you are wrong. The """"detailling"""" on warhammer 40k ships are greeble.

I guess real ships are just greebled to make them appear more complex

>kills optimization

normal/height maps have barely an impact on performance

Only because greebling would have been virtually impossible with the 3D technology of the time in a game of that scope and scale. Modern versions of those ships in Elite Dangerous (which is still headed up by the same guy as the originals) have greebles as well.

The space station is not in 0 gravity. It's falling very fast.

Gravity does not just turn off when you get 100km up. That's why planets go around the sun, there is still gravity working up there.

>someone runs a red light and plows into this person's driver's side fender
>airbag deploys, embedding all of those rocks into the driver's face

Attached: i hate everyone.jpg (640x480, 40K)

t. redditor in denial

that looks absolutely retarded.
>guys it doesn't have enough random boxes all over it, what do we do?
>add some fucking boxes of course!
to what end? shit looks like an unfinished lego playset

the Star Wars guys who coined the term literally said it's something that looks cool but doesn't actually do anything. Greebling is anything that exists to make ships look more visually interesting, it doesn't have to have a function.

greeble isn't -just- for adding complex detail though. it's for a sense of scale. when you see a tiny tower or box on a fuckhuge bigger box the box suddenly looks a LOT bigger than a dumb smooth cube. greebling is very important when you're making moon-sized man made surfaces

Attached: death star 2.jpg (1040x1040, 247K)

>have healing crystal embedded into your face
>become immortal

Attached: 1502759524911.jpg (1024x768, 90K)

look at all this pathetic greebling REEEEEEE

Attached: shuttle.jpg (700x500, 107K)

I wonder if they included the lil soldier guy

Attached: ExecutorMan-SWTC.jpg (864x486, 96K)

The original Star Destroyer model that the word greeble came from. It looks great from a distance but up close it's a bit of a mess, particularly around the outside of the main hull wedge.

Attached: og star destroyer 2.jpg (2593x1334, 1.07M)

Those are just textures user

I'm not very good with computers but couldn't this be achieved with a simple tesselation map? Why does it need to heavily impact performance?

It doesnt, Yea Forums is just retarded as always

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.43M)

Fuck you I'd drive a road sized version of this everywhere.

Attached: article-0-076187A3000005DC-436_634x480.jpg (634x480, 46K)

The space station is not falling. It is orbiting.
You could fall from that height by reducing your velocity wrt the earth to 0 so gravity pulls you straight down instead of through orbit

have fun driving that on normal roads.

Orbiting its just falling sidways fast enough to never hit the ground

ey frien

Attached: 1542599231511.jpg (835x400, 18K)

come on buddy this is basic science stuff seen in high school

>The space station
And not going to read any further. What does that have to do with an individual person?

GUYS. I plugged in a request to my supercomputer AI to generate the most efficient, aerodynamic vehicle possible and it gave me this.

Attached: tofu.jpg (1920x1200, 106K)

aren't those bumps basically weapon turrets?

This is the kind of post I'd expect to see on plebbit.

the space station isnt a fucking rocket, its just an orbiting object like a person would be up there, apart from the pretty much non-existant ion(?) thrusters

Any of the large ships in Eve Online. All of them.

falling is traveling towards the ground, not parallel to it. but sure if it makes you feel like a smart guy

isn't that just bump maps? they are not expensive, basically most stuff has them anyway. space games don't even look computationall expensive, they are just a couple of models dropped in a galaxy skybox.

>fall
>have enough thrust to change vector
>reach a point where you are perpetual falling
>orbit

born again

Wake up sheeple!

Attached: 1522884724986.jpg (1024x693, 106K)

Greeble me daddy~

Attached: 85D2047F-0001-4FF1-AD5A-15B4E136B93D.png (1136x1136, 340K)

Just like how flying is just falling gracefully, correct?

That one never gets old

Attached: 1561467659471.webm (352x640, 342K)

It's not even a fucking video game exclusive term. I've seen it used with regards to plastic models and Legos for years.

Stable orbit doesnt use thrust once achieved.
Flying does.

no

Attached: 93488eccb6e6abce3f4729f1aab08c5a.png (1000x563, 678K)

I would love to suck a cock

...so it's a donut?

Lol these "ships" look like shitty vectors made in 5 minutes

You people will argue anything just to do it

if the warp is successful what killed 8/10ths of the crew? And how do you continue to operate the ship after those loses?

greeble on these nuts faggot

Greeble is cool when they greeble first then they ad details that make the cubes look like machines

any warp travel that doesn't kill everyone, gets you vaguely close to where you need to be, and doesn't tear open a hole in reality is a success.

>can see the wolf starting to clamp down on her head
>can see her muscles tense up as the first signlas of pain start to come in
How badly did this end?

people are being fucking stupid here.
its not even a texture. its just a method to add detail to shit that wont be viewed up close, very popular with the original trilogy of Star Wars for example.
there is literally nothing wrong with it, and its not even used in games since its added geometry that is to be seen from far away, so in most cases its either used in big chunks or with normal maps.

In the end is just a modelling tool like anything else, just like extruding or bevelling

Now greeble it

Kewl

Attached: 300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg (300x259, 22K)

But why?isnt that still a sphere why cant???what???why would nasa hide a flat or other shape earth?but like but no this doesnt make sense this is fucking stupid

Those are all exaggerations, but they are nit far from the truth.
In the oldest ships who are several kilometers large there exists entire subcultures of people and crews living there.
Some parts are even hauted by otherworldly creatures that stalk the shadows and attack those who get lost in those parts.
If a breach happens during a Warp travel the ship can be invested with Daemons for example.
Usually those ships have a dormant AI in them which not everyone knows of ofc and since the Captain is connected with the ship he can operate some of its functions. If some parts of the crew are killed with luck they have some servitors to operate in those parts.

no onion earth theory is correct. earth has layers.

airports and runways are built around this, planes don't actually fly at all, it's all a lie, they just slide across the invisible layers, there are invisible ramps at the end of runways to allow this.

She took the knot

Actually, that's composition.

Nice.

and i thought dolphins were bad..

NINTENDO

Not randomly placed and the shapes aren't random either. poor Pajeet.

No you see the difference between a shitty automated texture filter and hand placed detail autism is one looks fucking amazing and the other looks like an automated texture filter shit about by the lowest common denominator "artist".

Attached: glicee-lightship.jpg (1500x2122, 1.2M)

That's not how airbags work

Remindedr that no matter how low you are in life, at least you aren't a bored DIY boomer that can't DIY for shit

Are you retarded? The Combine's designs are sleek, smooth, and use almost entirely the same color palette. Did you even bother reading, and understanding the definition of Greeble?

>go outside
>notice unnecessary random detail on the roads
GREEBLESSSSSSS

>vidya term

Boomer fuck off and take your zoomers with you.

>looking at wall outside right now
>greeble invasion

You keep 5 times more people than you need on the ship

This shit looks like an 2005ish apartment complex down the road I live in

Attached: 1561662262809.jpg (2122x1500, 1.2M)

Did she die?

How do you think airbags work? How do you explain the fact that people aren't decapitated by the panel from which the airbag is flying from if you think it just splits off?

Rolling your windows down on the interstate will create more drag than your car being a block, you'll get a mile or so less per gallon if you greebed your car.

Geography nerd here: That's southern Turkey and Cyprus. You can also see a bit of Lebanon in the left.

Greeble isn't for adding detail for the sake of adding detail so much as it is for making things look bigger. It's why looks like it's several miles long while look like they're about 10 feet.

so what if i put greeble..y'know...

anyone got screens of that thread where that one guy said "greeble these nuts, you gaylord"

Gothic architecture is not greeble, retard.

interesting post user

Yeah you kids should stop spamming zoomers and other buzzwords all day long

or y'know...what about greebled prophylactics?

lold

Not him, but when an airbag blows up the plastic cover is meant to fly on the side while an explosion makes a baloon inflate.
The kinetic energy shock applied to the bottom of the airbag cover is more than enough to break shitty glue and every stone flies in a random direction with the speed of a bullet.
Even one in your eye socket is enough to pierce trough your brain, there are enough rocks on that wheel to kill the luckiest Live love laugh bitch on the planet

I thought about this, but 40K ships have a certain structural beauty to them that absorbs the greeble and codifies it. It isn't just total random abstruse goose logos.

This - this user gets it

Attached: manchu_03.jpg (1800x2400, 1001K)

Attached: 1529494302027.jpg (300x550, 142K)

What the fuck is up with this greeble posting bullshit? Is it some reddit meme I'm not up to date with?

Attached: 1456203314035.jpg (712x712, 42K)

That shit is baked into a normal map, it doesn't kill optimization

Yes, it's r*ddit shit

its just a fun word to say, and they look really cool, adding more visual detail to a surface, breaking up its outline, making it look really large, detailed, etc

Attached: 1419189039399.jpg (750x741, 202K)

inb4 have sex

General appalling standards for the subhuman galley wretches that supply manpower for the hship's cavernous vitals, occasional brief encursions by a daemon or two that may personally slaughter crew and/or play mindtricks and seductive mutiny and/or spread a warp disease of mutation resulting in summary executions of the infected. Still successful because this is a relatively predictable and acceptable cost, accounted for by the great Imperial Bureaucracy*, and they sort-of reached their destination.
> how do you continue to operate the ship after those loses?
Mass breeding of the slave personnel and picking up a few more at the destination. Lots of servitors help for real space travel.

*The Imperial Bureaycracy, known as the Adeptus Administratum, is horrendous

I know what greebles are, I'm wondering why the fuck idiots are posting about it.

Attached: corellian_cr90_e___f_by_dlamont-d5o1luu.jpg (4000x2300, 976K)

flavor of the week

>Dormant AI
HERESY

Attached: corellian_cr90e___c_by_dlamont-d5o1ljj.jpg (4000x2300, 1.19M)

Attached: 1402055120535.jpg (2816x2112, 284K)

It must be hard being illiterate

Attached: 1402055262331.jpg (2816x2112, 455K)

Attached: 1402055175811.jpg (2816x2112, 342K)

Attached: 1401306094177.jpg (800x1080, 381K)

I mentioned it like 4 posts in and it got no replies

This thread and board are both dumb

We've already had this thread. How autistic do you have to be to be bothered by this so much?

greeble ship over greeble city

Attached: 1398358080015.jpg (4032x3024, 1.92M)

Attached: wallpaper-199712.jpg (1612x978, 1.34M)

The crew will replenished at the nearest human world. The wh40k universe is horribly overpopulated. It's part of the worldbuilding. The human side sends a constant stream of billions of under-equiped soldiers into doomed battlefields just to starve over-population. It makes no sense that they replenish people so fast despite the constant infinite wars, but apparently they do. In that scenario of warp travel the potential damage and loss of ancient technology can be a serious blow to the ship's efficiency but the loss of crew is a joke.

Max Greebles Big Move

If you haven't been working towards it since middle school, you have permanently blown your chances on that dream.

Attached: 64489_1211996820_orig.jpg (1500x770, 629K)

Attached: 1391632325327.jpg (1280x731, 398K)

Probably just didn't have the pleasure of messing with these things themselves and probably have no clue what you were talking about.

Courscant... the entire planet is one giant greeble

Attached: 1445450256878.jpg (1600x1067, 710K)

Attached: Republic_Cruiser_SWE.png (1024x512, 475K)

A gold star for you my bruddah

Attached: starm.jpg (225x225, 5K)

Attached: 1453341052679.jpg (2400x3200, 1.53M)

Resistance is futile.

Greeble ship over greedy city

Attached: aOm8yQR_700b.jpg (700x627, 137K)

thx m8

Greeble station - absolutely nothing can go wrong here..

Attached: manchu_08.jpg (1800x1348, 1.16M)

I love how they have to tell you which side to face at the enemy

why not just have a normal map?

Attached: file.png (350x350, 293K)

The nice thing about greebles is the scale can appear arbitrary - this pic can be the close in detail on the wing of a tie fighter, or a massive mega solar array in space, kilometers wide

Attached: tf15.jpg (1600x1200, 583K)

Attached: greebmeme.jpg (800x667, 94K)

Attached: SW_Coruscant.jpg (1920x1080, 341K)

Fun fact, they changed it so it says "this side toward the enemy"
Though to be honest if shit is hitting the fan and bullets are whizzing past your head the last thing you need is to lose precious seconds thinking about which way is the front

how can we stop greebshit from taking over our cities

Attached: fucking barcelona.jpg (1000x750, 264K)

Greeble Star

Attached: 0HhUuYQ.png (1680x815, 2.06M)

now you talking my language

Attached: PONG RPG 62.webm (1600x900, 2.65M)

Greeble Runner

Attached: T5uwGQa.jpg (2000x1311, 338K)

I'm hoping to become a Member of the space force. I'm a soon to be nuclear submariner, so if I keep my grades up and impress my superiors I have a shot.

Attached: 1561484216831.jpg (639x619, 56K)

None of you knew or even noticed greebles until someone on Yea Forums told you to get angry at it

needs more greebles

Attached: 1426385442350.jpg (1920x1200, 324K)

Do they? I really like elite ship design

Attached: images (3).jpg (739x415, 41K)

fucking greebs

Attached: Giants_Causeway_détail_de_la_chaussée.jpg (2048x1536, 859K)

greeble ruins

Attached: olivier_pron_01.jpg (1600x756, 263K)

Wrong, everything you see in that pic is rightful Greek clay.

reminds me of the judge dredd movie

>Air Force

lol, Navy guys are more likely to go

>join Navy as Naval Aviator
>go jets (tailhook)
>don't fuck up
>stick around, go test pilot
>fly experimental planes
>apply to NASA

Bada bing bada boom, you're in nigga

"Explore the Greeble" is a great name for a band

Attached: 1550109399891.jpg (362x276, 16K)

not really but they still look pretty fucking retarded

Attached: A19790906000d7.jpg (2000x1474, 564K)

Is this cyberpunk?

"in" it?

Attached: 84383-starwarstipocacu1.jpg (1760x1168, 1.14M)

maybe on the lowest levels

Attached: Vos_Gesal_Street.jpg (786x332, 67K)

space swimming

This. Becoming a guy who flies is a lot easier in tha navy than the air force, but theres one caveat- you either need to be in for YEARS or, be a commissioned officer, which required a bachelor's degree and a couple years of officer school, on top of your flight training.

the ultimate city for greebfags

Attached: Kowloon Walled City.jpg (770x472, 214K)

falcon greebles

Attached: Scipub.jpg (1501x753, 190K)

That's usually how the meme is formulated but I reckon that "on it" would make a whole lot more sense.

Attached: greeble shit.jpg (661x1024, 103K)

Attached: BFW8ZQO.jpg (2048x1351, 415K)

i disgreeb

anyone who says ancient architecture isn't the same idea as greebling is retarded, it's superfluous stuff put on to make the building look cool and interesting. to see the most simple and efficient architecture, see ancient aztec temples

Attached: E8CTYP.jpg (1300x956, 333K)

giving greebles names

Attached: ZubljAP.jpg (1849x1210, 609K)

interior greebling

Attached: tRRDaPx.jpg (1648x1101, 361K)

Attached: Executor Bridge.jpg (1500x1087, 269K)

Attached: 1398578181466.jpg (2560x1740, 2.06M)

Precisement, one must be flexible in one's meming for it to work

>want to go to space
>start by going underwater
LOGIC

Starsector guy made an interesting post on the subject. "There’s a balance to be found on the line between texture and obfuscation"
dgbaumgart.com/2015/07/starsector-trouble-greebles/

Attached: degrees for greebs.png (1200x436, 190K)

Extreme interior greebling

Attached: xdQzI2d.jpg (1813x1201, 677K)

the wolf just demonstrates dominance, it's not trying to bite her head off.

Where do peeps sleeps?

>making them appear more complex
more like makes them look structurally fucked

Spaceships are closer to subs/ships than planes dip

imagine being a blue collar worker space welding decks in outer space on a gigantic moon. Sounds like the coolest fucking gig out there, until a benishead and his black pimp ejaculates all over it's standard issue Core-explodium room and you have to do it all over yet again, if your employer wasn't fucking dead that is.

Attached: Ep1-003.jpg (2800x1842, 2.28M)

man, i need to get an interior greebler for my house, where do i find one?

Seeing all those people as teeny tiny dots inside that unimaginably vast superstructure really hammers home how stupid the Executor's destruction was.

ILM, make sure to get the environmental simulation package

Attached: Military Complex.jpg (1600x1056, 281K)

Attached: Ep3-003 rsize.jpg (2500x1681, 2.34M)

this isn't greebling. this is just actual complexity

that explanation is literally how actual astronauts and physicists explain it. it is exactly whats happening. you just have more sideways velocity than velocity from gravitational acceleration. you are still being pulled downwards, otherwise you would just shoot off into space instead of orbit.

no...it's greebling.

despite this, they still did a poor job of portraying the scale of the death star
realistically all the shit they did on the death star would take 10 times longer than it actually did

*greebles yuor dog*
pssst nothing personnel kid

Attached: DogyGreebleBack.jpg (1507x906, 513K)

Submarines are frequently cited as the closest thing you can get to being on a spaceship without actually going to space.

oh so it's like a gay cake then.

it's greebling you fucking imbecile, whoever designed the borg cube model absolutely just tossed on plastic model parts all over a huge cube to make it look complex, it's the exact same idea as the people who invented greebling, ILM

Guys can humans catch the greebling?
Is there any way to become immune?

Attached: index(3).jpg (612x466, 40K)

Time to post some greebles in vidya now

Attached: 2015-10-15_00008.jpg (1920x1080, 255K)

Attached: 2015-10-15_00010.jpg (1920x1080, 262K)

my sci-fi universe will have a race of space goblin autistic engineers called Greebs who slap that shit on everything for free

a plane was recently brought down by greebles on the wing of the plane...

who wants to watch that though? a timeskip every time they go in a lift or down a corridor

you probably have more chance making your own rocket in your backyard than going with nasa at this point

obsessed

well, not in a human timeframe anyway
all orbits are slowly spiralling inwards

well the best solution would just be to make the death star smaller

if you want an aritst who does good greebling check out paul CHADeisson

Attached: paul-chadeisson-matrixxman-02.jpg (1920x1102, 672K)

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0221.jpg (1920x1080, 321K)

this shit again
Yea Forums is getting mad at their imaginary strawman
greeble doesn't mean what you think it means retards
and the cap is wrong, you fuck

true, then the second one could actually be bigger and more imposing

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0228.jpg (1920x1080, 517K)

Fucking idiot, greebling can't spread to hu

None of the people who replied to you know shit about 40k except for maybe .

The answer is that old ass image is bullshit used to lure people into the fandom.
Anyone who has read anything about 40k would know that warp travel is safe and reliable, and that navy personnel are highly trained and long lived professionals.
Otherwise there would be a lot more instances of ships arriving 1000 years earlier than they left, or entire space marine chapters disappearing with their battle barge, or there wouldn't be any ships at all for that matter considering almost all of them are anywhere from thousands to tens of thousands of years old with probably 50% of that time spent in the warp.

Attached: 1360100153506.png (380x207, 102K)

this is pretty much the only legit example of greebling in this entire thread

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0236-resized.jpg (1920x943, 783K)

>missing the star destroyers and death star
>from where the practice and name of greebling originally arose even

okay

the running of that ship seems needlessly complex.

We don't have flying cars anyway.

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0251b.jpg (1920x1080, 775K)

Concave side towards enemy because you want the shrapnell to radiate outwards. Soldiers just need to use one of these once to be able to get it right every time without reading.

ground cars still need to be aerodynamic dumbass.

GREEBLE GREEBLE GREEBLE GREEBLE

Attached: safdsaf.gif (484x388, 452K)

Derp, meant convex. This is why practice beats reading, the brain is unreliable

Not sure if joking or just mistyped

>imagine being a blue collar worker

In the old (real) EU the first Death Star was mostly built by slave Wookie labor. They were probably happy to watch it explode.

Attached: Despayre.jpg (630x494, 145K)

Wow rude.

Were trying to crack planets not walnuts

Attached: walnuts.jpg (1897x1045, 239K)

>How badly did this end?
You just know.

Claymore mines are not really a "heat of battle" kind of emplacement.
When you're setting these up, it's because you're denying an area to the enemy, not to stop a charge.

So close, yet so far.

Attached: Hunter x Hunter - c342 (v033) - p031 [Digital-HD] [LuCaZ].jpg (1200x1800, 412K)

well isn't it fucking obvious?

that and the geonosians.

that looks fucking cool, picked up

dont shit in my doughnuts

Reminds me of the gourmet world only not immediately interesting.

this is what catching the greeble does to you

Attached: unidentified patient after 18 months of greeble infection.jpg (514x514, 105K)

Attached: paul-chadeisson-testspeed-0225ccrop2burn.jpg (1920x951, 619K)

I don't know how, but this thread about a thing I've never thought about before is somehow one of the better Yea Forums threads I've seen recently.

this is the early signs of infection, skin changes to resemble that of a greeble texture

Attached: ACUPAT-Display.jpg (272x410, 76K)

if the crew can be replenished at a nearby human world, what was the point of sending the ship full of dudes in the first place? just get the spaceship itself to the location for battling and shit, or what?

it's just a bunch of random posts

patient being fed anti-greeble fluids via IV

Attached: Orig.src_.Susanne.Posel_.Daily_.News-camelbak.soldiers.tritan.bpa_.free_occupycorporatism.jpg (1229x768, 182K)

How efficient is constant streams of billions of under-equipped soldiers?

I think I'm in trouble guys

Attached: help.jpg (852x480, 33K)

the topic isn't interesting to phoneposters who just want to shitpost

>ITT dumbasses on Yea Forums who have no idea how to accurately discuss visuals learn a new buzzword that they'll drive i to the ground for the next year

Attached: 1515349737781.jpg (500x286, 15K)

At least they're genuinely amusing and interesting.

God that's so cool.

I would just stare at earth all day and achieve nothing

Are there any instances of greeble that aren't space sci-fi or cyberpunk, or is it exclusive to those settings?

steampunk i guess

It only appears in sci-fi because most mechanical designers are hacks

>has all those weapon turrets
>useless when in actual combat

oh man...stay away from me!!

you know what, I think I know why, it's cause the topic isn't readily accessible so it filters some type of individuals? but it will probably only last for a bit

are you retarded
>Greebles are little doodads encrusted on spaceships without discernible purpose. At the best they are visual texture which contributes to a sense of scale, or – to borrow from Star Wars – to a sense of a “used universe”, to industrial-grunge aesthetics

Attached: star_wars_explosions_death_sta_2560x1920_.jpg (2560x1920, 2.29M)

they're comin out of the walls...they're comin out of the god damn walls!!!

Attached: greeble-wall-playa-nexpa-mexico1.jpg (1125x500, 404K)

Damn this thing is huge, how do they even power it?

For the on foot section, I disagree: It makes sense that they were pulled to an "important" section of the station, since they were going to be interrogated regarding their connection to Alderran. All of their objectives were local as well (Rescue Leia from local detention, disable tractor beam, run like hell.)

As for the space combat, that's where things get dicey: The station is just too large to make the scenes make sense: There's no reason to ride the trench for more than a few moments to line up your shot: coming in perpendicular to the surface right next to the port (Like Han does) would be best.

Of course, the E6 Death Star run is the real contender for making no sense: Kilometers of construction site and not a single obstacle in a conveniently Falcon-shaped tunnel. Literally all it would take is someone driving a Space CAT across with a load of girder and we're done.

You just know

Attached: AP17036019312952.jpg (405x512, 39K)

Hold
>A Phd in an applied science
>Be at the absolute forefront of your field
>Get the grants to do experiments on the ISS
>Get selected for Astronaut training
>Be one out of ~1400 applicants who makes it through selection
Also it helps to have served in the airforce of your homecountry and to have connections to either NASA or the ESA through your scientific studies first

Gourmet world was absolutely kino. Probably one of the best worlds I've seen yet.
>yeah we live in the human world where despite how dangerous it is, is nothing compared to the insta-death experience in a single step into the Gourmet World

magnets

I said most not all.
Some people can make it work but it's mostly a lazy way to make objects look realistic by adding random textures.

DON'T. There's a reason it's called Hiatus x Hiatus. You will only suffer if you like that manga.

you JUST know!

this shit, and shit like SnK is more interesting than isekai desu

How hasn't a giant sea monster that lives in that lake just eat up their lands yet?

space fuel

They have important soldiers (space marines) and important resources (ships, vehicles, relic, technology, fuel, whatever). They also have completely unimportant people (common crews and soldiers). They die a lot. In fact they send them to die to avoid overpopulation. Indeed, most of the time, the point is not to move around these common unimportant people, and while that picture about warp travel exaggerates the loss, it is indeed a loss that they don't care about. It's the only resource they have in plenty amount. By plenty I mean, mysteriously infinite, because the bad writers say so. People dying constantly is dark and gritty.

stop using the words you don't understand

My man.
I fucking loved how they made the human world so ridiculously dangerous but its literally nothing maybe 1% of the danger of the gourmet world.
I didnt mind the anime adaption either just a shame it didnt go far.

my favorite explanation to flat earth and why nobody has found the 'edge' is that it has a 'pac man effect' where if you go beyond the edge of the world you get teleported to the other side, meaning it's absolutely not a sphere at all guiz

The sea around the continents is too shallow presumably. Other maps make a distinction between "uncharted waters" around the human map and the further out "dark waters", which are apparently impossible to go through by ship.

howzs the anime?

>mysteriously infinite

Attached: too many of them.png (1089x2066, 586K)

greeble camo, now you can stay camoflauged on an imperial star destroyer outer hull

Attached: xvvFd67.jpg (2619x1885, 766K)

No, they're Grebles to make it look more complex and pretend there's been any form of advancement since they faked the moon landing.

needlessly complex is 40k staple

I like the theory that antarctica is actually the ice border and the government (global shadow government?) just shoots anyone trying to cross because the lie of the globe is THAT profitable.

I never noticed how efficient camo was until playing War simulators. 100 meters is so fucking far away you can barely see shit already. I don't know how snipers are shooting like 2 km away.

GLORY TO THE GUARD

Attached: ImperialGuard Cadian.jpg (2560x1600, 2.23M)

Greeble is sci-fi/steampunk/dystopian cyberpunk by default. I guess the closest thing to greeble in a fantasy setting is these type of pseudo-medieval buildings that repeat themselves in block units and appear to grow like tumors. Sometimes you have fantasy cities built on a mountains or cliffs that are packed full of these. Again it's not exactly greebling, just the closest fantasy equivalent in concept.

Attached: large-fantasy-building.jpg (1247x1300, 208K)

Attached: W0nne3p.jpg (2048x1360, 980K)

you only have 1920x1080 pixels dedicated to your entire field of view in a game, whereas in real life it's (effectively) much more

why this image makes pp hard?

I have no idea what you mean to focus on. You've circled damn near every fucking detail on that ship.

let me suck pepe

Attached: 1374197_10151995026927238_1104622141_n.jpg (960x767, 123K)

>about 10 feet
if that. hell, to me they look like more erasers.

But what's the difference between greebling and detail?

Attached: 1316724822879.jpg (552x800, 387K)

u making him blush user

Attached: shy cunt frog.png (499x499, 731K)

Art is detail. Procedural generation is greeble.

Attached: 1377492951558.jpg (1000x750, 97K)

>"Texture" is the name given to the map applied ti the polygon models for the purpose of making them appear more complex
>Kills optimization and makes the game look overcomplicated and shitty

OP is a faggot

so just ugly tesselation?

Read the manga first.
There are two anime, one made in 1999 and one made in 2011.
I've watched and liked 1999, but it took some liberties compared to the source material. It ended early due to catching up with the manga, but an OVA or two was released to complete the last arc (York New City) the TV anime was covering. I've heard that the original OVAs for the arc after (Greed Island) are terrible due to early digital animation.
Haven't watched 2011, but it covers almost the entire series and stops just short of the current (on hiatus) arc in the manga. The first episode or two fails to include a certain character who serves as a motivator for the MC and closest thing he has to a father figure, forcing the anime to improvise and suddenly introduce him and his connection to the MC when he returns to the plot in a later arc. Keep that in mind if you choose to watch the 2011 anime.

Attached: 1376607333278.jpg (1920x1200, 516K)

I always wondered how they aimed with flintlock pistols and rifles.

Attached: zebra-striped-camouflage.jpg (594x396, 39K)

Greebling is detail. It's a type of detail.

Even if you try to muddle the terms, equivocating it with actual design, it doesn't change the fact that random cube shit is an abomination and lazy as shit.

no borders, no gods

Attached: razzle-dazzle-paintjob.jpg (733x590, 101K)

Also, if you read the manga then GET THE VIZ VOLUMES. The magazine scans can be very low quality, to say the least.

Attached: volume vs serial.jpg (1490x1100, 394K)

Attached: 978.png (820x729, 106K)

Attached: razzle-dazzle-boat.jpg (792x262, 38K)

it still bugs me to this day that the Death Star has such a shitty weakness. not only that but the weakness is on the outside. you'd think you'd have to get to the core to destroy it or force an overcharge/misfire of the planet destroying laser. but no, go pew pew in its butthole and it explodes. I like the way Halo Reach dealt with a massive covenant ship and that was to use a warp drive to tear it apart(Long Night of Solace).

Snake?

you dont see ship

Attached: razzle dazzle.jpg (674x449, 44K)

lord of the rings more like lord of the greebs amirite

Attached: p06j8fvw.jpg (1920x1080, 400K)

Attached: razzledazzle05.jpg (620x373, 153K)

>unnecessarily tesselates everything and kills Radeon performance
Heh looks like Nvidia wins again.

Attached: city-trees-water-mesh-620.jpg (620x496, 284K)

We all know you sperg, it's called fun.
>warp travel is safe and reliable
:I

Attached: ZwkvyxS.jpg (939x600, 95K)

It's just one butthurt autist that refuses to see what a blatant straw man his 'look at this labored over by had art' vs 'I pressed this button to ape detail' is to everyone but his dumb ass.
>look at this physical model someone clearly spent weeks on
>I'll call it greeble
>yeah
>that'll show em

Attached: XMzIgWI.jpg (2495x1617, 653K)

Huh... deja vu.

no

Attached: 1397705215379.jpg (2520x1920, 1.15M)

Attached: 1397705053909.jpg (1792x1206, 201K)

TIL?

that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with grebles you retard

Attached: 1401907761612.jpg (2736x1824, 2.64M)

yes it does you stupid faggot, name me something else that does the same thing that isn't greebles - you can't

I know they really wanted to nail down the zealous crusader look but seriously why would they bash people with a skull and splash dirty heathen blood on their precious and expansive religious scriptures. Do they use magic soap?

no you retard, that's going the wrong way
if you want to get closer you should climb a mountain or something

Attached: 1401908263427.jpg (1800x1198, 450K)

Attached: 1280px-Centrifuge_(ISS)_in_TKSC-01.jpg (1280x962, 328K)

Thats not his work clothes, thats what you would wear on a nice date to show off or if you were at a fancy ceremony

>ground cars
as opposed to fucking what?

Attached: 14-153-orion_0.jpg (3000x2000, 1.42M)

whoever keeps posting images is a true hero.
its not even greebles half the time but still something nice to look at

water cars dummy

Attached: nasa-curiosity-rover.jpg (3848x2656, 2.7M)

round cars

If we're talking warhammer it is their work clothes. Pic related is not as detailed as the fucking nice armor in the previous pic but they are supposed to wear holy scriptures that protect them. I guess it repels both demons and dirt.

Attached: Empire_-_Warrior_Priest_of_Sigmar.jpg (500x359, 35K)

>the fucking mars rover has less dust than my fan
Welp I know what I'm doing later.

now you know

those are called trains stupid

Attached: 1398564424387.jpg (2240x1320, 1.35M)

I was talking real fake life
You are right about it being needed in warhammer though

Tanks Snoiboi

Attached: USS_America_(LHA-6)_off_Pascagoula_in_2013.jpg (4256x2832, 2.49M)

is it a sun
is it a tennis ball
I guess we'll never know.

Attached: 1552611710427.png (427x351, 6K)

every room in Destiny

Attached: ethan-scheu-d2-image-32.jpg (1920x1080, 486K)

Fuck I forgot

Attached: train.jpg (1624x1038, 570K)

as soon as I saw the pic the first word that came into my head was "shrapnel". what a fucking maroon

Attached: 1398470577369.jpg (3008x2000, 548K)

why is car angry

Nice try, it's a lemon

I fucking love how easy it is to score 400 replies now. If anyone posts this and it becomes a meme I'll be satisfied.

thats a train dummy

you fags will argue about anything

That's not greeble, thats detail

Looks quite happy to me

Attached: happy train.jpg (1624x1038, 642K)

Attached: 12778376185_7d6f944bed_o.jpg (5749x3477, 798K)

Is this like a /toy/ fag trying to get the word "greeble" to be more mainstream or something?

Attached: 08-Ralph-McQuarrie.jpg (1280x643, 161K)

Attached: 1398571168995.jpg (1600x1200, 289K)

This is aesthetically pleasing.

Attached: An artist's conception of the X-43A Hypersonic Experimental Vehicle, or “Hyper-X” in flight (3000x2400, 2.88M)

this is a very bad thread

Attached: 1554294206621.jpg (750x499, 47K)

Attached: 4.jpg (1178x585, 183K)

>screencap of a tumblr post of a reddit post
I fucking hate Yea Forums so much

Attached: mathieu_lamble_01.jpg (1800x595, 347K)

wow so many greeble am i right, a hack designer did this

Attached: E-2C_Hawkeye_and_Mount_Fuji.jpg (3008x2000, 1.64M)

>>screencap of a tumblr post of a reddit post
That's how the internet's been for years, I'm afraid. Keep in mind that the Reddit content is most likely from yet another website.

Attached: FPm2K7X.jpg (1200x1800, 679K)

Holy shit drones are that big?

all these posts but no one shared yet the holy grail of vidya greebs

Attached: eve ships.jpg (4096x3200, 1.56M)

Attached: WRVPQIm.jpg (1700x1133, 577K)

Attached: 1398013770114.jpg (796x597, 110K)

Attached: damn it klaus dont you know how to drive this thing.jpg (1024x703, 282K)

They originally looked pretty good but holy shit they've been going haywire with all the remodels the past few years.

Attached: 1392411630182.jpg (3000x2272, 758K)

Lmao is that the radiator of an M60 tank?

Attached: file.png (175x216, 83K)

Attached: YAL-1A_Airborne_Laser_unstowed_crop.jpg (3000x1650, 3.22M)

That's actually an artistic rendering, not a photo lol

Attached: 5nj84Jv.jpg (2500x1666, 537K)

why is the sky shooting lasers at us, how can win war against the sky

For comparison

Attached: file.png (615x480, 740K)

you're an autistic reddening

Attached: 1397194933493.jpg (4096x2304, 2.03M)

It was third impact. Don't you remember user?

But to answer his question, yes military drones are that big. They also look stupid.

Attached: largest US drone plane.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

Attached: Apollo_12_launches_from_Kennedy_Space_Center.jpg (4324x4324, 1.66M)

Do ladies like Greeble penises

how's Archer these days?
i stopped watching around the time Archer was shot and left drowning in a pool, i think that was the first "thematical" season

Attached: 1541185717613.jpg (1200x926, 126K)

Its pretty meh nowdays.

Attached: 9hlbxgtxkcq21.jpg (2810x1870, 830K)

i want to punch everyone who uses that term
"narrative dissonance" would be more than enough to describe what they're talking about

Attached: U-2-Northern-Lights-4.jpg (1927x628, 106K)

Things made for soldiers are made for actual retards, for they are one and the same

Attached: 1540567753842.jpg (1920x1080, 585K)

Good eye.

Attached: comparison.png (450x501, 493K)