AoE2: Definitive Edition

Anyone get into the beta for this game? How does it compare to the original? I find it strange that they've released this game at least 3 times and there's already a functional version of it on steam. RTS support group thread as well I guess

Attached: file.png (460x215, 244K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/invite/jDSdBpW
youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Screenshot of some of the new models (it's still 2D)

Attached: ss_f270aa4e146459dc8b75a69bfecf23d13b0e8df6.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 1.28M)

Who the fuck is that nigger on the right, those people were in a distorted iron age while europe was gearing up for a fucking renaissance.

It's Portugal you fucking racist

Fucking Brazilians.

if they havent fixed the AI I wont buy it

The best part about the Definitive Edition is the fact that they're using a new engine. Meanwhile the HD was still using the old engine from the 90's along with an old netcode and peer to peer connection between players, resulting in huge lag and dsyncs in multiplayer.

With the Definitive Edition we'll have better pathing, server based multiplayer, 4k graphics with a zoom feature, and new factions included. All the buildings and units has been remade with more detail. All the previous expansions from the HD will be included in this game too as the base game.
There are also other quality of life improvements, such as being able to requeue farms / fish traps, and other features you can turn on/off in the options. The AI has also been completely revamped, and the new AI can beat the old AI in a 1v8 from what i've heard.

Attached: aoe de.jpg (3072x1728, 3.34M)

Attached: i.jpg (3072x1728, 3.41M)

viral marketing

I'll believe it when I see it. These were all the same promises for AoE1DE and even after missing the release date they still couldn't implement them.

I still play the original with the fix for hd res. I didn't fuck with the balance changes of HD and don't care about the new civs. That said I don't even play online, just fucking around against the AI so Im not exactly an expert on the meta-balance but Ive still spent a bunch of time researching differences and prefer the original AOC.

>Had to use Edge to complete the survey

Goddamn it Microsoft

Just excited for the game. user asked why there are 3 editions of the game and i explained the new features to him.

Attached: aoe.jpg (3072x1728, 3.44M)

Attached: l.jpg (3072x1728, 3.57M)

>be me
>buy AoE 2 in 1999
>buy AoE 2 HD in 2013
>now i gotta buy AoE 2 DE in 2019
>probably gonna have to buy ANOTHER version in 2024
FUCK, im gonna do it and im not going to be happy about it

>got let into the beta in the second wave on Monday
>still no key on Thursday

Attached: WE.png (600x584, 415K)

I JUST WANT AOE4
I DON'T WANT TO PLAY AOE2 ANYMORE I MISSED TOO MANY YEARS AND SUCK AT IT
GIVE ME A NEW GAME, A NEW META, A CHANCE TO GIT GUD
AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Attached: 1559111952914.jpg (750x563, 35K)

>Buy AoK in 1999
>Buy AoC in 2000
>Dad sells them in a garage sale in 2002
>Buy AoE2 Gold Edition in 2005
>Buy AoE2:HD in 2013
>Buy expacs
>Buy AoE2:DE 2019
>[Spoiler]Buy AoE2: Eternal Edition in 2023[/spoiler]

ahh

Attached: aoe2.jpg (2688x1512, 2.92M)

you mean pathfinding? AI is good

I got into the beta since I'm a top workshop contributor and top "competitive" player on aoe2hd.

It's alright, but does nothing unique or worth the price point if you have the HD version already. They've said they plan to have mod support but not yet. The balance is closer to the original, as in, pre-HD.

I like genuinely like some of the features they added like auto-replant farms, command queue, tech queue, and progress bar above the buildings that are training units. I hope you can still mod the appearance of things in MP though, the new sounds and styles are shitty in some cases.

Were you in the first wave or the second wave? I'm trying to work out if the keys have been sent out for the second wave yet, they've sent the invites but not the keys

>The balance is closer to the original, as in, pre-HD.

What did they do to the balance? Also how do you connect to multiplayer games, is it a server browser or is it matchmaking garbage

Does the multiplayer work in the beta yet? I heard they're still fine-tuning things, just curious if people are playing MP or against the AI.

I liked the minimalist HUD in AoE1DE. I hope you can toggle that.

>Meanwhile the HD was still using the old engine from the 90's along with an old netcode and peer to peer connection between players, resulting in huge lag and dsyncs in multiplayer.

Yeah, about that... The original game still works 100% without "huge lag" and "desyncs". Even multiplayer save and resuming works properly on it. The problem is the HD re-releases, those are fucked beyond belief, even before you start hitting the new population caps.
You get weird 10 seconds freezes in the beginning of matches at random, if you try to save and resume it gets fucked and won't work, once you get past a certain number of units the game starts lagging, there are connection issues that make playing the game with more than 2 players a huge gamble to see if the game will even be playable at all... I really really hope DE fixes this crap, it'd be fucking awesome, but I'll believe it when I see it working.
And yeah, this thread smells heavily of viral marketing. How can shills be this bad at disguising themselves? Jesus H. Christ.

Attached: 1560172063849.jpg (3024x4032, 1.18M)

To be fair, it's not like AoE is ever expensive. The DE is 15 if you already have HD, the expansions are 10, and the DE has a new expansion with 4 civs built-in - so if you were planning on buying every expansion anyway, it's effectively 5 bucks for a pretty massive visual upgrade where you can zoom in and out.

Heres a tip that will change your life. Type in google any game followed by "free download".

the original doesn't "still" work, it works with 10 years with of userpatch improvements

worth*

You really tried to make a one click one drag operation sound complicated didn't you.

Do you really think microsoft would hire people to shill on Yea Forums? I'm just excited for the game, user, even if i come across as a shill.

>instead of just throwing some money at the Voobly guys, Microsoft chooses to keep the GARBAGE software in their store

Sorry if you're being genuine, lurking here for over 10 years has made me really grumpy I guess. So tell me, where did you get the information about server based multiplayer? This would be GODLIKE for playing the game in any sort of competitive fashion. As for the QoL features, I've got mixed feelings about them, but I guess it's inevitable since so many people use mods for that anyways if they're not there in the first place.

Finally I can have +200 pop matches without the game freezing when there's so many units in play

Attached: boomer.png (445x567, 274K)

how much do you get paid pajeet?

it's simple to install but it took a lot of time and effort to make the multiplayer work, and it still can't do something like reconnecting after you drop from a game which DE has

the userpatch creator refused to work with Microsoft because of freetard autism or something

yes we did, join our discord discordapp.com/invite/jDSdBpW

>So tell me, where did you get the information about server based multiplayer? This would be GODLIKE for playing the game in any sort of competitive fashion
The dev made a forum post after E3, here's a screencap for you.

Attached: forum.jpg (1244x656, 199K)

Aren't all marketers excited for the game?

considering how shit aoe2 hd is on steam vs voobly i have 0 expectations of this

>mfw I always play AoE as city builder

I got invited but I couldn't click on the sign up button on their website so I stopped giving a fuck.

Who doesn't? I did the same with Empire Earth.

Basically the same here, so I never bother with MP. Just the campaigns.

Speaking of, is Empire Earth 2 as good for city building as Empire Earth 1?

>the userpatch creator refused to work with Microsoft
I can't fucking believe this. He could have unified all players and shit, and he sperged out? Dammit.
Also, do you have any source for that? I'd like to read about it.

only random posts I've read on R****t over the years

So where is the beta client leak

Wasn't AoE4 announced a while ago? Didn't they give a trailer? What ever happened to that?

youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA

Attached: 1470466785353.png (761x720, 525K)

That's very cool, but I hope there's still an option to play peer to peer. I don't want, like, 10 years from now, to have to go back to HD or Voobly to play AoE2 online because Microsoft shut down the servers or some bullshit like that.

Relic is working on it, the promised to show something "later in 2019"

Get good faggit

>>[Spoiler]Buy AoE2: Eternal Edition in 2023[/spoiler]
Gonna use that for a game name, thanks.