Dying Light

Now that the dust had settled, was it any good?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kS0-Pkb3VPw
youtube.com/watch?v=rzoDvRkqgnE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

one of the best zombie games ever made

pretty average story but top notch everything else
maybe a little more variation in weapons/fighting styles wouldve been nice, but it was still very satisfying

Yes alot of fun. 2 looks pretty interesting aswell. I like the direction they went in.

>DUDE EVEN THOUGH THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HAS COME I HAVE MAD ENERGY TO DO SOME SWEET PARKOUR!
I'm so smart doing parkour in the apocalypse, zombies can't climb lmao!!

I couldn't play it because the movement wasn't similar enough to Mirror's Edge

crane came from outside the infected zone, and its contained in a city
what the second he dropped in he shouldve turned into a paraplegic? what are you getting at

Fuck off Neil, videogames should be fun.

Attached: Neil_Druckmann_SDCC_2015.jpg (220x314, 15K)

big facts

I wish zombies couldnt actually climb

>Those fucking screamers that spawn out of nowhere and reach you in seconds

It's Jawsome, the following gives you a yeeyee machine to cruz for pussy in. Dying Light has guns and parkour. If you use bladed weapons besides when you run out of ammo you're a coward. Dying Light 2 will be written by the Fallout 2 and NV guy. It goin be good

Even better are the volatiles who beat you to the top of whatever you are climbing to promptly slap your shit

Attached: Evolved_Volatile.png (1024x1316, 1.21M)

it's amazing up until the point where you get the grapple hook and then its just piss easy with 0 tension even at night

it's the best zombie game there is, barring a few of the RE games of course

pros
>nighttime mechanics
>zombie invasions
>satisfying melee combat
>satisfying parkour and freedom of traversal
>fantastic array of melee weapons
>great for co-op
>well realized slum and city aesthetics, truly does feel like you're in the midst of a zombie outbreak

cons
>nighttime no longer becomes a threat as soon as you get the grapple
>way too many safezones
>story is pretty cliched
>boss encounters are health sponges
>final boss in the base game is a QTE fest
>DLC ditches the claustrophobic and traversable cityscape for an empty grassy field and your only reliable way from going to A to Z is with a kart

I also felt the guns were weird to fire with. All in all, I hope they improve upon the existing mechanics, especially the invasions and nighttime. I hope they also make the parkour even more smooth, something that would get Mirror's Edge a run for its money. It's pretty cool Chris Avellone is on to work with the narrative and the way they'll incorporate meaningful branching dialogue choices. Despite the constant sidequests to save NPCs, it never felt like I left an impact on the world and they were as impactful as doing any other fetch quest.

Yeah once Crane get's overpowered the game loses some of it's magic. The new difficulties just turned zombies into bullet sponges and makes them do more damage.

Already read this get some original thought

It's Dead Island with parkour and most of the flaws fixed
Pretty good game tbf

>if you use bladed weapons instead of the guns that trivialize most of the game especially on the highest difficulty you're a coward
what did he mean by this

>trivialized
Boo hoo I can't shoot virals on nightmare cause it might bring more. My fists do 275× base damage. Once you earn some legend points you turn the game into doom

>Climb the suspension bridge
>First time in my life that a video game has kicked in my fear of heights

Attached: 25e.png (808x805, 787K)

Besides the wank story and superfluous crafting, yeah. The sequel is bound to be pretty great.

I think you need to learn to read, because I said guns are even more useful on nightmare than the lower difficulties. Headshots are still one hit kills no matter the difficulty whereas melee weapons tank in damage output.

It was pretty shit.

wasn't there a VR version of this game?

>The new difficulties just turned zombies into bullet sponges
I only had this problem in the early game/hobo phase. You can become pretty strong later on, Fighting humans was so fucking annoying though. I shot them whenever I could, no regrets

You're supposed to shoot them. Headshots work on you too on nightmare but the game is also designed in a way where if you know what you're doing you'll never actually take a round.

I don't think the point about the DLC is a negative. It adds some diversity to the gameplay and looting parts to upgrade your buggy was pretty fun

Then why did they trivialize the game if they work like firearms are supposed to?
>this M14 has really trivialized the Korean War

This is the most bafflingly retarded post I've read all day.

So you're saying you're some mall ninja fag who hunts bolters to improve their shitty machete?

Yes there is
There is even eye tracking for the game which I think is even cooler than VR and is not something I see a lot of games use

Attached: Eye track.gif (662x392, 3.95M)

I literally used guns for the entirety of The Following, I just don't know why you would brag about doing something easy.

>make fun parkour zombie game
>set DLC in the fucking open countryside and give you a car
wew lad

what dust are you talking about?

yeah i just gave up after a few missions, what a stupid fucking expansion

>brag, it's so easy
You mean fun?
>It's not fun to zipline with a tec9
You don't like having fun Mr. Blade?

>I don't think the point about the DLC is a negative. It adds some diversity to the gameplay
It's cool and I really enjoyed fucking around with the buggies, especially during invasions and co-op, but one the main strengths of DL is the sheer amount of mobility Crane has. Exploring the slums and Old Town from rooftop to rooftop as you get chased volatiles at night was heart racing. Climbing the suspension bridge and getting that sense of vertigo from it was fantastic.

Attached: 1553923288937.png (681x485, 238K)

You're barely coherent at this point, I can't entertain this.

not to mention an improved story and ever better ost. The main theme for The Following is one of my favorite vidya ost

youtube.com/watch?v=kS0-Pkb3VPw

Nah the DLC sucked ass because they got rid of the one thing that made the game good. I mean these idiots actually thought people liked the game for being a bad Far Cry clone instead of you know, climbing buildings and fighting zombies.

I'm going to replay it this summer on NIGHTMARE difficulty.
I like the game so much, almost makes me wish I were one of those nolifers who play it for hundreds or thousands of hours to perfect everything in it from 100% to learning all the different tactics and whatnot... I just don't have enough time for that kind of stuff anymore though, the game feel incredible to play during the summer though, the heat from outside and the sun make the in-game immersion really fucking great, same does playing the game at night or inside dark quarantine zones when it's also night or dark outside IRL.

Attached: cancerr.jpg (1607x904, 800K)

Oh, and I forgot to add, the OST is very good in DL. It gives the game a very bleak atmosphere at times.

>Dead Island
>Opinion ranges from it sucks to mediocre

>Dying Light
>Basically Dead Island 3
>Everyone (myself included) thinks it's alright
How'd they do it? Was parkour and drop kicks all the games needed to be entertaining?

yeah. people don't enjoy clunky shit like dead island, you couldn't even properly traverse most stuff from what i remember, climbing up on anything was just fucking awkward and didn't feel natural. at least in dying light you get the freedom of movement and can do something that you'd think most people might try to do like scale a wall somehow, or jump off a porch while running to get away from something, etc. it just feels real and fluid enough that it's great.

Yep. Freedom of movement is what makes the game so great, as well as making the weapons cool to use and melee combat fun. The invasion mode and nighttime is a good touch too.

>bullet sponge enemies
>breakable weapons
>no blunt weapons at higher levels
>overpowered "infected" zombies
>middle eastern setting (gross)
no

>>middle eastern setting (gross)
looks a combination of spain's more traditional cities and brazilian slums

Only zombie game I liked

its turkey

Did they ever fix the bug where the rarity/quality of guns had no impact on their stats?

>first night

Attached: 1540300924144.png (389x361, 115K)

>crane pockets a single vial of antidote out of the shipment his superiors order him to burn
>never bothers to use it on either of the people he likes who end up getting infected and just stands there and watches them turn

Attached: 1529120406476.png (500x469, 99K)

Spongy enemies?
>check
Annoying enemies?
>check
Rubberbanding spawn of annoying enemies?
>double check
Solid objects purely made of metal that can broke after cracking 20 heads open?
>crowbar check
Same-ish chores why everyone else wanks inside a safe zone?
>groceries check
Grind?
>check
Legendary and pointless grind to dilute game-time?
>legendary check
Towelheads instead of mere humans?
>Allah Checkbar
Stupid boss fight
>press X to check
Was it any good?
>no

>antidote
Don't comment if you can't even get the most basic shit right to complain about

>caring about proper terminology in a game like this
Temporary treatment, whatever they called it, it was almost 5 years ago, point is it never got used.

buzzword criticism without any substance?
>check

Anyone else found the Tower in Haran to be really fucking cozy?

Only good zombie survival game

Yeah, especially at night with all the UV lights. Really comfy game overall.

The soundtrack is probably the best thing about the game. The 80s Carpenter synths is what drives the whole thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=rzoDvRkqgnE

The average main story can be forgiven (there are very interesting side quests) when the gameplay is quite fun.

Attached: 1533525999153.jpg (1920x1080, 1.18M)

I thought the grappling hook was super fun despite being broken

I miss the manual analog swings from dead island. Its a ridiculously satisfying tactile feeing when you hit that swing just right.

I wish there were enemies that appear to counteract the grapple. Maybe allow the volatiles to also tentacrul their way towards you and also pounce on you from further away.

The story's cliche to me was charming, as it made it a cheesy 80s film. The game was an utter surprise hit and I pirated it expecting it'd be garbage that lasted 5 hours. Felt bad because I got a great game with probably +40 hours of gameplay.

The DLC is awful as can be and I hope they never do something like that. It completely changed the nature of the game and it was another soulless open world game in The Following.

A problem I had was the difficulty was very weird:

>Easy mode: You can buy guns and ammo, flashlight/combat stamina doesn't exist
>Hard mode: You cannot buy guns and ammo. Flashlight is limited, combat stamina is limited.
>Nightmare: You can buy guns and ammo, flashlight is unlimited and so is combat stamina

I might be wrong on the stamina, but I know nightmare was weirdly easier than hard in certain areas, and the sheer scarcity of ammo on hard meant I pretty much never used guns. Even against the badguys in those two interiors in the nice part of the city I ran out of ammo and had to rely on explosive arrow spam.

Absolute terror, made you feel like the prey better than any game I've played.

Agreed. I can only hope the sequel has something similar even if it'll lack the great arabesque 80s synth feel coming from the setting

Yes but grappling hook and human enemies ruined it.

Parkour Challenges is the best part. I completed them all several times

The part where Crane destroys all that medicine still triggers me. Couldn't he just stash them all somewhere?