Metroid thread

Is this the worst remake ever made?

Attached: Metroid_Samus_Returns.jpg (315x315, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/z_V3YmbOxFE
youtube.com/watch?v=z_V3YmbOxFE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

Not even close.
It's a good game.
>inb4 muh atmosphere
I'll take it in exchange for literally everything else being a huge improvement.

The shit graphics are not much of an improvement, are they?
>muh colour
Who gives a shit about colour? You work with your limitations, and these guys clearly didn't work with theirs.

Hell no. Are you joking?

Triggered AMR2 fanboy.

I had more fun with AM2R. Metroid fights were more tense, I liked some of the quirks like scan visor boss intros, I liked the difficulty, to name a few things. I think I actually preferred the prime-esque atmosphere in parts of returns and some of the new fights like ridley and diggernaut are rad, but for the most part I just felt like counter wasn't all that good for the pacing and played against the feel of the classic 2d metroid boss fight, scrambling to evade the enemy in cramped conditions and trying to line up the perfect shot for your missiles.

Why don't they ever build off of the stuff that was in Super Metroid? Hell, just look at something as trivial as saving the game and how cool that looked in Super. Seems like this series will forever be in limbo. Such a waste.

they completely killed the horror vibe of the original game and made it a generic Metroid title that couldn’t even live up to Super Metroid / Fusion in terms of gameplay.

fuck metroid fusion

For every step forward there was a step backward. The Aeon powers were neat and for the most part an decent way to keep it refreshing. The graphics were decent, and Ridley at the end was fun. Despite this there was so much wrong with it as well. The melee counter was awkward and slowed the pace of the game down tremendously, and since the enemies have such high health in early game you will inevitably settle into the pattern of run up to an enemy, wait for it to attack, melee counter, and move on. Awful pacing in the beginning and even most of the way through the middle of the game. Terrible soundtrack. The metroids quickly settle into tedium with the absolutely BAFFLING decision to implement the metroids that change rooms, who the fuck approved this shit? It just drags a fight on, and you can't stop it from happening since they become invincible while they leave the room. Diggernaut, the big bad you wanted to kill the entire game, has a tedious, boring boss battle of "dodge the laser." For everything I liked I was disappointed by more things.

Attached: 1499272509213.jpg (959x960, 225K)

Not even close

No. It was the best remake after Zero Mission and added creative new twists on the formula.

In fariness nothing has come close to Fusion in terms of gameplay.

It was the only remake other than zero mission, so I guess you're right?

I meant "ever made", like OP said.

ok but you not liking the game or it having problems doesnt change that there are way worse remakes out there.

The only issues i find are maybe aeon powers which i liked but could understand people disliking it and that shitty coutnerattack, i disliked it.
Otherwise it's great.

>make metroid game with the best gameplay in the series
>level-wise is the most uninspired and repetitive one

rrrrreeEEEEEEEEEEEE THE MONKEY PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

Attached: USAGI IS FUCKING PISSED.gif (450x338, 944K)

>the best gameplay

Attached: 1478816937200.gif (500x259, 494K)

Hope you ain't thinking of floaty slow super metroid user

Among them.

Fusion is objectively the best 2D Metroid purely from a gameplay perspective. The key component is speed, you can do everything lightning fast in Fusion, in Returns there is always a lag either due to the animation or just slowness.

But Fusion has terrible gameplay?

You can't single target walljump, shinesparking takes too long to charge and many many other glaring flaws.

*Mean to type you can't walljump on a single wall*

Zero Mission is a worse remake.

Fuck no. Just look at the Silent Hill remakes. It's no contest.

nah

Did you play the original? It was some weakshit. Both the official remake and the fanmade game are better. Now go fuck yourself.

It was bad but there are worse.

>No Speed Booster
>Space Jump doesn't have a unique animation and sound effect anymore
>Screw Attack completely butchered - it's a flashy key now
>Plasma Beam sounds like a generic pew pew laser
>Wave Beam isn't wide anymore, doesn't have 3D sinusodial pattern in a 3D game
>Everything is gated by artificial blocks
>Screw Attack blocks
>Grapple Beam-destroyable blocks
>Anti-bomb fans disallow bomb jumping
>Every wall is covered in ugly yellow goo that prevents wall jumps and Spider Ball

>The Gravity Suit is back, looks fuckiing beautiful, shitty "Gravity Feature" retconned out.
The one saving grace.

I have no idea how they could miss the point this fucking hard. Zero Mission did the same thing where the devs say "oh, you want sequence breaking and open-ended exploration? Okay, we'll let you play around in this predetermined section of the game, but DON'T GO OUT OF OUR CONTROL OH GOD WHAT DO WE DO IF THEY PLAYER DOES SOMETHING WE DIDN'T ACCOUNT FOR???

It's like Mercury Steam took a quick glance at Super,and have never touched a Metroidvania-style game before. How could they fuck up the core stuff this badly?

Samus Returns is a great game, but a fucking godawful Metroid game.

MercurySteam didn't make the game alone, I don't know why people keep thinking they were the only ones working on the game. The same team that made Zero Mission collaborated with MercurySteam on Metroid Samus Returns I posted their names multiple times on Yea Forums.

It's my favorite in the series after Super. It refined the series core mechanics while offering something new.

I wish, because that would mean every remake is fucking phenomenal and it'd be worth going through every remake ever made.

Nope, I fucking hate AM2R also, the original was kino.

lol no

It worked as an update of the original while also addressing the criticisms from Other M.

Zero Mission was easier, but that's it.

>The same team that made Zero Mission
That explains a lot. Who is it?

horrendous opinion. Metroid isn't about speed, it's about level design and item progression both of which fusion fails at

it's been long enough, we can admit it's a great game

Good remake with shitty presentation and a couple of gimmicks dragging down the over-all experience. Still very solid

It did give us this tho
youtu.be/z_V3YmbOxFE

Their new name is Nintendo EPD Production Group. No 7.

>shitty presentation
I dunno. I like how immersive and "alive" the environments were.

The environments and enemies both look and sound like ass. That's what I meant by presentation. Also, their ugly-ass flashing before they can be countered looks fucking jarring

Super and prime are my favorites, but I don't think I've ever outright disliked a metroid game. Even other m was fun for what it was.

get out

No fun allowed.

Fun is not authorised.

Other M was a good game with a terrible story written around it that hindered its design.

Other M was a shitty game with a shitty world, shitty graphics, shitty music and a very shitty story. Nothing's good about it, retard.

The game played well but was held back by the story. Team Ninja wanted to make a traditional metroid, albeit from a 3rd person perspective in 3d.

I liked other M more than prime games
I hate first person games that much

This was my first metroid game. I finished it once then returned it to the store as I couldn't imagine ever wanting to play it again. Are they all this boring? I heard that these games were supposed to have really great atmosphere but not once did I feel immersed.

no, zero mission is

samus returns is better than super metroid
youtube.com/watch?v=z_V3YmbOxFE

Shut up, ACfag.

did you forget fusion is a linear game with an annoying AI hand holding you? and then there's the dumb fusion suit

fusion is really overrated

Not ACfag. ACfag would say Samus needs to be a robot or that the cinematic movie-like counter system ruined the game.

I vaguely know who ACfag is but since I rarely browse metroid threads I don't know his stance on things. Either way can you answer the question. I want to know if these games can make me feel.

I hope they re-release it on the switch. I can't stand playing on small screens

Same.
Not him, but why did you find it boring? You didn't like exploring, finding new abilities, battling bosses, etc.?

What do you want/expect for Metroid V?

To be good and have Iga make.

>Iga
So nothing but hallways?

No but it's probably the worst of the good Metroid games. Completely decent game when Metroids are to be more than decent.

I agree with bloodstained is a damn fun game and I hope metroid V is as good is it

The exploration felt shallow. Usually exploration is my jam but if the only thing I can get out of it is a new item that isn't optional and required to progress then it begins to feel dull. I like exploration when it's an immersive experience, but the areas in this game made me feel like I was exploring a hallway in a videogame and not like I was in an underground network of caves that were once inhabited by something interesting that grabs my attention and intrigue and never lets go.
I like the concepts of what you've mentioned but I found them to be poorly executed in this game.

In Metroid history - yes.
As an absolute - no. Look at the FF 1-6 remakes for iOS to witness top cashgrab.

>combat is ass because parry turns everything into a cakewalk, and not using it turns it into tedious slog
>linear exploration with "secrets" pretty much not hidden at all, but openly showing you the powerup you need to get them
>enemy variety is at all times low, and their behavviours are even less varied

No. Super, Zero Mission and Fusion are much better. Prime 1 is also good. Prime 2 is ass, and Prime 3 is just ok.

Thank you for answering my question. I'll given zero mission or fusion a look.

FPBP

/thread

>level-wise is the most uninspired and repetitive one
Well, it IS a remake of Metroid II

Nah, it was pretty great all things considered. Metroid 2's biggest problem is its search-and-destroy mission premise, which lends itself to a lot of inevitable repetition by means of having to fight the same mini-bosses over and over again. Thus, much like in AM2R, SR had to rely on dumb gimmicks to distinguish one Alpha Metroid fight from another, etc. etc.

It's a good remake but its held back by being a remake of one weakest games in the series. You can only polish a turd so much.

>Not ACfag. ACfag would say Samus needs to be a robot
And what would be wrong with that? sounds like a victory against waifufags IMO.

Should've been 2D
Still one of the few 3ds games i finished, pretty good

Probably the worst 2d Metroid but still pretty good. I’m happy with it. I dont really consider it a remake though, more of a “reimagining” more in line with how Castlevania and Super Castlevania are completely different games of the same “story.”

>NEW BAD
And you wonder why Nintendo doesn’t make Metroid games anymore it’s because you guys are nitpicky fucks who cannot be pleased

It's not great but it's a step in a right direction after Other M damaged the series

Well, not everyone hates it, but Nintendo is regularly getting lapped by other devs. Indies have cornered the market on Metroidvanias, and have destroyed even Nintendo's best games.

Attached: 1561349912063.gif (268x264, 131K)

Hollow shills actually believe this.

Yeah, believing in the truth is easier than you think.

Attached: 1529097882557.png (1000x1000, 126K)

HK's map is big, but boring and it plays like a Newgrounds game.

Nintendies getting defensive.

>plays like a newgrounds game
At least it's a game and not some cinematic movie like you'd see from some major corporation like EA or Ubisoft.

Hollow Shills. When does the game get good?
Bloodstained made me hungry to play more of the genre again and after SotN I tried to get into HK, but the entire scenery just puts me to fucking sleep.
Everything is so dark and boring

You get a nice face full of color once you hit greenpath. A game about a deserted kingdom on a crumbling cliff is gonna have darkness and isolation as a theme, naturally.

no. it's a good game. am2r and this are both good.

my main issue with SR is the clamped claw grip you have to use for your left hand. it would have been so much better to be able to rebind your keys, L for aeion, A for missiles and especially R for manual aim.

>every metroid but super bad
god I hate super fags so much. most cancerous fans ever.

>nooo why do you have high standards?!

It's because it's hard to say what is the best Metroid

Attached: MetroidGuide3.png (1588x3288, 1.57M)

>metroid nes in must play
>metroid 2 gb in recommended
>but zero mission and fusion in optional
Fucking nostalgiafags

>garbage casualized remake and linear movie shit shouldn't be in optional

Attached: 1561525900590.png (1280x738, 433K)

>Prime 2 is ass but 3 is ok
kys

>Prime 2 is ass
What a godawful opinion.

>samey shit environments the color of a turd
>can't grab all the mandatory shit on your first visit even if you know where it is because of the arbitrary endgame powerup that actually lets you grab that shit
>need complete backtracking total of 3 times just to get to the non-100% ending
>numerous path blockers not shown on the map
>portals mess up navigation hard
>on last backtrack session you constantly get locked up in every room until you kill enemies making it even more of a slog

>beam variety is nerfed, you only get 2 this time.
>enviromental puzzles involving beam functions are completely gone since they now serve completely arbitrary functions that are rarely used in environment itself

>not ass
ok then

Zero Mission and Super Metroid are both great. SM is better. but ZM is still top notch regardless.

I don't know how anyone can like Fusion considering how backwards it is in virtually every aspect when compared to any of them.

This graph is so shit it cracks me up.

Must Play: Zero Mission and Super Metroid, AM2R as an honorary inclusion
Optional: Everything else

This came as a real surprise

I think prime 2 has the worst of both worlds when it comes to beams.

>No crazy combo beams like 2D
>No sense of choice like Prime 1
>Ammo that triggers my autism

This user's opinion isn't wrong my guys

>can't grab all the mandatory shit on your first visit even if you know where it is because of the arbitrary endgame powerup that actually lets you grab that shit
You can get five of the nine keys before acquiring the Light Suit.
>need complete backtracking total of 3 times just to get to the non-100% ending
?
>numerous path blockers not shown on the map
?
>portals mess up navigation hard
In what way?
>on last backtrack session you constantly get locked up in every room until you kill enemies making it even more of a slog
When?
>beam variety is nerfed, you only get 2 this time.
Quality over quantity. Power beam and Wave Beam become useless after acquiring the Plasma Beam outside of puzzles and colored enemies.
>enviromental puzzles involving beam functions are completely gone since they now serve completely arbitrary functions that are rarely used in environment itself
I'd hardly call melting ice with the Plasma beam an environmental puzzle, let alone something to praise at all.

It's the most unneded remake ever. Axiom Verge has already evolved the genre forward, while Samus Returns stayed behind. As of right now, its flawed formula is stale and obsolete.
Moreover, it's a remake of a genuinely shit game, which was, mechanically, barely a Metroid-like by today's standards.

Metroid II is my second favorite buddy I'll have your head.

Psst. I have a tip for you. Phenomenon32 by the Talos Principle scriptwriter. It's a pretty shit game as well, but plllllllenty atmospheric.

But yes, I agree that Metroid needs to take cues from AV and Hollow Knight, specifically the notion of swappable, optional power ups that allow for player expression. SR's parry should have been one such swappable item. Another could've been a shoulder bash, another, still, could have been a retreating backstep.
Thanks for letting me know. Just downloaded.

>The pointless fan project is recommended but the actual series is optional

Attached: 1561368246064.gif (517x328, 1.69M)

The problem with Samus Returns is that it's just not interesting and not fun to play. 360 shooting and melee attacks was the wrong direction to take for the 2D genre.

Whatever Metroid game they do next, they need to look at their fellow competitors that actually do a damn good job like Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight, Environmental Station Alpha, Guacamelee. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and Steamworld Dig just to name a handful. These games are all great in their own right and Nintendo really needs to look back on their own formula, how other people improved it and what they can do to go forward.

Attached: 1548676169_124856_1548676616_noticia_normal.jpg (1200x675, 42K)

It didn't have much to work with

Graphics = bad
Gameplay = mediocre
Setting and level layout = bad

Is it a decent metroid game? Yeah sure
Does it come close to the other main series? Nope

Making it for the 3DS was the worst decision they have made + its the only metroid game running at 30fps

60fps in Metroid Prime 1 - and it came out 15 years ago, embarassing

>clunkier Metroid 1 is good
yikes

>The key component is speed,
t. boostnigger

The melee was fine, but the free aim was where it was at. I'm hoping they bring that back for whatever 2D Metroid is next.

MP1 = MP2 = MP3 = SM = AM2R >
ZM = Fusion >
Samus Returns

Prove me wrong

>And what would be wrong with that? sounds like a victory against waifufags IMO.
with what? bringing even more?
there even an waifufag infested mecha thread up

This thread has far too many posts, this post ended all need for further discussion.

>>No crazy combo beams
you mean the beam-specific Super Missiles? Prime 2 had them as well and they're kino as fuck
>>No sense of choice like Prime 1
what
>>Ammo that triggers my autism
you barely lose any Ammo in Prime 2

>threads have to start with something negative

Do you faggots ever like anything?

They mess that up IMO. Alphas only take 5 missiles to kill in the original, so the fights last seconds. I'm a little bummed with the remake's "oh, make one ELECTRIC with INVINCIBILITY!" way of approaching what are meant to be cannon fodder

It's unfortunate. You have to understand that many times the OP may actually enjoy whatever he's shitting on. The "culture" of this board has devolved into a point where everyone needs to pretend to hate shit just to get discussion started. You can start a thread positively and find success but it's much easier to just post some bullshit instead.

>2D sidescroller
>no option to use the d-pad for movement
>have to use the shit-tier circle pad
>no controller button mapping options whatsoever

Attached: pepe rage.jpg (591x590, 79K)

That's why I haven't played AM2R yet. Too lazy to download external program just so I can use dpad on one shitty game. At least SR has pretty good circle pad controls since it was designed around it.

I thought of playing this since I already have it on my 3DS, is it really that bad or are you baiting.
>>have to use the shit-tier circle pad
the sóy-con's sticks are worse

No it isn't bad. He just wanted a discussion.

My opinion:

All three Prime games are peak comfy and amazingly done. I love to sit down and play all 3 of them back to back every year. They have their flaws, but the overall package of the trilogy is a phenomenal one. My favorite set of games of all time.

To add, pretty much every Metroid game is peak comfy. I don't know what you guys are fighting about, outside of Other M being bad (which I think every Metroid fan can agree on), all of the main line Metroid games are fun as fuck. Such a quality franchise.

I've played all Metroid games. Pinball and Hunters included.
Prime 2, 3, and Other M were my least favorites. I guess the Wii just made it a shit experience. But that's just my opinion. Gets old playing grab ass with the bosses every battle. Got to hit them in the butt to win guise.
I loved the first Prime ( Gamecube, not the Wii version ) But it just went downhill for me anyway after that. Other M was equally as meh. No complaints about Fusion here or any gameboy, gba titles.
Samus Returns is fuck shit but the series has been dying for a long time.

What's wrong with the Wii versions, honest question? The motion aiming was comfier than the joystick aiming of the original for me.

This.
Also the Sonic Boom >>>>>> any beam attack from prime 1