Why can’t anyone do lovecraft games properly?

Why can’t anyone do lovecraft games properly?

Attached: 2C5BECC7-14BB-4664-8356-E5658C11D968.jpg (2448x2448, 1.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/howard/robert_e/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

none of them have read a book

any book

Cuz nobody read lovecraft and people only know of octopus head and nigger cat

Because it's really hard to evoke dread of the unknown or make a believable descent into madness in medium where protag is usually expected to shoot the big bad with his boom stick until it stops moving.

because of the memes

Fuck Lovecraft, Howard was the man

Attached: rh.jpg (696x900, 225K)

Because a real Lovecraft game would concern topics that would actually make people uncomfortable, cutting edge topics, instead of another swimmy vision walking simulator. It'd get shut down pre production for being too offensive or become transformed into another uninspired Amnesia clone.

Depends, what is a Lovecraft game "done right" ?

Please don't diss Lovecraft using Howard, the two were best friends remember.

Yeah, he shot himself instead of letting cancer do the job.

Playing Conan Exiles as big tiddy Stygian woman right now btw.

Howard shot himself because he was terrified of growing old and weak, and his mother fell into an irrecoverable coma.

Also
>tfw love Clark Ashton Smith
>tfw he never got the recognition Lovecraft and Howard got
I can see why, he didn't produce a creation that would become part of pop culture down the line like Conan and Cthulhu. But still, sucks he seems forgotten.

>what is a Lovecraft game "done right" ?
fucking despair because there's nothing you can do. Also fuck niggers

That's more Thomas Ligotti, than Lovecraft.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

>fucking despair because there's nothing you can do.
Is there a more telling 'I have never read a lovecraft story' response than this?

if you want to play lovecraft games, just play tabletop lovecraft games.

i mean, you do have friends to play with, right?

I've got that Necronomicon collection too, it's really nice

Eternal Darkness is more Derleth than Lovecraft.

I used to have that one on the left.

>HP Lovecraft
>I saw something so unimaginably terrifying that to even being attempting to describe the horror I felt would do it an incredible disservice.

>"Lovecraftian"
>Tentacles lmao

Because there's no player agency in Lovecraft's stories. The protagonist is completely helpless.

You do know Lovecraft and Howard were friends right?

Hell, Lovecraft's mythos is canon in Conan and Conan is canon in Lovecraft

lovecraft these days is nerd culture shorthand like star wars. just another way to show your nerd cred. the original thing no longer means anything, it's just what the product signifies that matters

>Depends, what is a Lovecraft game "done right" ?
One where you don't kill everything for a start, because that's fucking retarded and missing the point

Other than "the creature was indescribable" or "everything has tentacles"

Cosmic horror is about the fear of the unknown. Stuff you can't process. Like a new color or sound. You cant put that in a video game. Lovecraft isn't about tentacle monsters

Smith's stuff is like a hybrid of Howard and Lovecraft's stuff. Too weird to be considered pulpy adventure like Conan but too conventionally adventure-oriented to hit the same notes the Cthulhu cycle stories do. Lovecraft's earlier stuff that is more similar to Smith's is also forgotten for the same reason.

Bloodborne did this properly but it's inspired by lovecraft, not a direct ripoff

what do you mean? dark souls 2 is basically dreamquest of unknown kadath and bloodborne is babies first cosmic horror

This. Exactly this. They just watch a couple of youtube videos about Cthulhu and think they get it.

Not necessarily. The big idea of Lovecraft's stories is show that a truer reality exists outside the bubble we call human existence. The horror comes from when something beyond pierces that bubble and has effects that profoundly change the humans who interact with it in a way that makes it difficult for them to value accepted human norms.

Bloodborne does this, where every human who interacts with the Great Ones and their leavings descends into in madness. The educated groups in the setting, Byrgenwerth, The Choir, and Mensis are all basically cargo cults that have no idea what they're doing.

How is DS2 like Unknown Kadath?

Exactly. This is the only lovecraftian game in which you actually see disturbing stuff.

SHUT THE FUCK UP. Holy shit.

A good sign that someone is a tourist is that they think Cthulhu is a god.
He was a high priest.

Because to do lovecraft you'd have to be Lovecraft himself, maybe Junji Ito. Lovecraft's horror is heavily drawn upon his racism, xenophobia and fear of everything outside of his apartment. You'd have to throw the player somewhere they couldn't imagine, let alone feel safe in or belonging in. Everyone likes to throw the player into 'fishing village where people worship eldritch gods', but those players are far too familiar to start. Where's my game set in egypt where an explorer discovers Nyarlathotep? Where's my game where a person is sent to an alien world? 95% of lovecraftian games are too scared to go beyond the most basic themes and settings of his writing and to try and do something different.

Is possible for a human to "ascend" to a higher level of existence ?

The best I've ever seen.
Not the sequels, just the original

Attached: Luigis Mansion.jpg (1139x1600, 179K)

Howard really delivarate a good character like conan is a FUCKING SHAME what L. Sprague de Camp do it to the character
Make conan a mindless idiot instead of the Practical men it was
Atleast roy thomas do a better job in the comics he clearly understand how conan was in the mind of Howard
Also
Ernie chan=jhon buscema
In that order

Meet Lovecraftian horrors. Kill them and make stuff out of their skin.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 235K)

well in history, the high priest was a god. Like Caesar the son of Mars.
Lovecraft himself was a roman pagan, so he'd probably take it from how rome did it.

I can name dozens of stories where this isn't the case.
>real Lovecraft is something something Cthulhu tentacles indescribable Rl'yeh wikia pop culture memes
>real Lovecraft is about people going insane after seeing a monster or cosmic event
>real Lovecraft is about the futility and insignificance of humanity
>real Lovecraft is about how Lovecraft was scared of everything and wrote stories about his fears
All of it is bullshit. Almost every Lovecraft story is a mundane tale, strange dream, or old country horror story that slowly escalates into a weird/disturbing/terrifying event or cosmic discovery for the protagonist.

Attached: 1454364194868.png (491x565, 450K)

>what is best in life

Solomon Kane is better than Conan

dealwithit conanfags

Negromaricon?

People always like to bring up how Lovecraft was a total racist but didn't he get over his fears at some point? I remember the first Dream Quest of Kadeth story has black people as a brainless slave race, but I'm pretty sure he starts using blacks as just regular people with no ill-connotations in other stories.

>the woman is fully covered
The fuck is this gay shit?

>Lovecraft was about homosexuals.

Attached: 1555536965919.jpg (565x768, 273K)

Nudity in the base game. Get Conan sexiles mod and go capture some cute thralls for some loving.

Conan > faggot overrated Lovecraft shit. There isn't enough Bronze Age settings done like what Conan has done.

Attached: 1547811177879.gif (240x180, 2.88M)

Howard's Conan stories hold up even today. Conan is the physical manifestation of the redpill.

Attached: 20190429_183531.jpg (2880x2160, 1.66M)

>Lovecraft's mythos is canon in Conan and Conan is canon in Lovecraft
That's pretty fucking cool.

AWW YEA. This book looks so good.

People forget how goofy Lovecraft stories could be. There is one where a gang of alien coal miners get into a feud with a stubborn hermit that escalates until they kidnap his brain and put it in a jar on the bookshelf. Then one of the aliens dresses up in a human suit made from the guy's skin and does a "Hello, fellow Earthlings" routine to try and throw the guy's concerned friend off their trail. It's like a grimdark episode of Scooby Doo.

I'm not saying an adaptation shouldn't respect the source material or take it seriously, but there is a lot of room for different tones and types of stories than people assume when mining Lovecraft's stories for ideas.

>As a homosexual I can say without a doubt this piece of gay media disguised as Lovecraft is actually really good

Attached: BigGayAsshole.jpg (1280x720, 80K)

This a good book to own?

>this hardcover goes for $100 now
Fuck

It's a fucking criminal shame Conan games aren't more prevalent, but I guess having a race of desert cannibal niggers that get enslaved by everybody and virgin women being prime sacrifices to call demons from the Outer Dark is a huge turnoff to modern faggot developers.

Kenshi

This is s good post

Swod and sorcery is dead in normal media and i thing is the best

There is a shitload of Conan games. The problem is that they're all crappy shovelware.

That's because Funcom are fucking retards and are basically holding the IP hostage.

>a race of desert cannibal niggers that get enslaved by everybody
Dafari? I enslaved few of then in Exiles.

Really? I paid the equivalent of US $40 for it sealed.

Well beak things are something so horrible that word's can't even describe them

I think the bigger problem is they keep making games where you don't play as fucking Conan. As cool as Hyborea and the rest of the world Howard created is, at the end of the day the real draw of his stories is Conan himself and people just keep making games where you don't play him.

Lovecraft fanboys are so fucking pretentious.

Stop acting as if nobody but you "understands" Lovecraft, the concept of being afraid of the unknown or the true nature of things is not hard to understand. Lots of people fear the deep sea, the vast emptiness of space and what it means to be dead.

Lovecraft is one of the world's most famous and influential writers and his work is beloved by millions. Stop acting like a special snowflake.

Attached: 18278262.jpg (250x280, 7K)

I only checked Amazon where it's $100. It's like 30-40 on other sites.

Actually, I prefer it that way...

see

Amusing for purposes of this thread considering Funcom has one of the only available Lovecraftian-themed games out right now Secret World

He was a beta cuck who an hero'd.

Once again, as is applicable to ANY recommend thread:

B L O O D B O R N E
based

Yes Dafari is the opposite of Wakanda Avenger Kangz being cannibal savages who wear human skin and bone and get enslaved by damn near everybody because thry aren't seen as human.

Yikes... I'm going to go ahead and hide this thread...

Both of those book should be a part of every mans personal library.
Hot damn I got both for a total of 24€

Yeah, and they've been mismanaging that game for years.

Lovecraft wrote more than underwater sea monsters, you can easily make anything out his work, but, everyone focus on the inbreed fish people close to the sea. Why not make something about Arkham, or Shub, or ghouls, or snake people, or dreamlands or the mi-go ?

Half Life

What exactly should I read? At the Mountains of Madness?

Most people who claim to like Lovecraft usually have not read his work. Mark Twain's quote comes to mind "A classic is something that everyone wants to have read, but nobody actually wants to read." Also, Lovecraft is a bit too toxic for the soi spectrum of the nerd fandom right now because he has too many -isms and phobias.

And blood spiders

>Secret World
>Amazing trailers
>Expected some kind of action noir supernatural horror game
>is a shit MMO with interesting ideas

Attached: 1561228195612.jpg (640x640, 49K)

>Both of those book should be a part of every mans personal library.
Well shit, I'll check them out.

Because Lovecraft is the Steampunk of horror.

Attached: 1561364472211.gif (546x546, 268K)

Solomon Kane gae when?

Attached: file.png (416x640, 536K)

TSW had some of the best damn quests I have ever played, shit made me think. It also had some of the worst, I mean a van blinking in morse code, really now?

Pretty sure its impossible to fit lovecraftian concepts into something you do for fun in free time.

>My starting character can outrun pretty much anything due to my exploring here and there
>First encounter Beak Things
>They proceed to catch up and vore it
Fuck those niggers.
But I meant mostly stuff that has no explanation at all or no way to retaliate, places like The Venge, The Grid, The Shrieking Forest, etc. Even if you spend a long time building your outpost and training your characters you're still a tiny speck of shit in a large world that will try its hardest to clean you, there's no hero here who will make things right.

Blood spiders die to a strong glance in their direction

I'd recommend the following
The Dunwich Horror (you should also read The Great God Pan, by Arthur Machen)
Shadow Over Innsmouth
Call of Cthulhu (I know, it's meme'd to hell and back, but it is a great work)
Colour Out of Space
Whisperer in Darkness
The Shadow Out of Time
At the Mountains of Madness
Rats in the Walls

Those are what I would call peak Lovecraft
My personal favorites are
Nyarlathotep
Haunter of the Dark
Horror at Red Hook
Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
Rats in the Walls

Is Sprague who did the translations? I read the del rey translations which aimed to be 1:1 verbatim from the manuscripts so I never encountered the misfortune of censorship with Conan's stories.

I'm inclined to think a lot of classics are appreciated for their function in popular and historical culture or the 'extended universe' of it. I know that as much as I love Mycenaean history and aesthetics and the general concepts of the Iliad it's a very fucking dry read. You'd think visceral bloody war wouldn't be so but it sure is. Clearly it was meant to be recited in poetry and not just read as narrative prose, and the translation likely takes away some of the color of it. But I couldn't finish it because it would just be

>Rando jobber shows up
>backstory for a paragraph or a page
>Achilles or Diomedes or whomever yeets a spear through his eyeballs
Rinse repeat

But that's the thing I wanna explore the world of Hyboria, Conan should be that mythological enigma as you play as some shmuck be it Nordheimer, Stygian, Hyrakian etc making your own legend, like Conan Exiles but not being shit survival craftimg instead being like Elder Scrolls.

>Elric game NEVER
just fuck my shit up senpai

Attached: elric of melnibone.jpg (930x810, 97K)

I actually asked my granddad to help with morse quests. And googled for hours to complete hieroglyph quests.

A better question is why can't anyone do Conan games properly, it's way more simple to adapt to vidya.

You can just play any Conan game and stop every five minutes to cough.

Because they need to skirt around what makes Conan great to not invoke the professionally offended manchildren and game website activists.

Yeah but they also hit like a truck and eat alive any swamp ninjas you've knocked down.

Earlier it was made by people who had more enthusiasm than skill, now it's

Call of Cthulhu
Then laugh as weird nerds get obsessed over big spooky idiots who get killed a boat despite all their terrible eldritch power.
"but muh stars" to bad faggot dead is dead.

are the ironborn from game of thrones based on Lovecraft?

Attached: King_Balon_Throne.jpg (600x450, 62K)

where should I start if I want to read conan

I own all his books but I haven't had time to read them
too busy playing games

Look, another retard who actually hasn't read The Call of Cthulhu.

ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/h/howard/robert_e/index.html
Remember, trying to read Conan in chronological order is a meme, just read in publication order.

Start at the beginning. Publication order.

When will there be rat in the walls DLC where i can investigate the house as niggerman?

The witcher

The Thing on the Doorstep is kino Lovecraft.
>It is true that I have sent six bullets through the head of my best friend, and yet I hope to shew by this statement that I am not his murderer.

Publication order. Most of Conan is public domain in Australia so you can read them on Project Gutenburg.
Howard didn't actually write chronologically, he wrote stand-alone stories for a magazine.

If you want physical you've got two great options: the Gollancz Centennary Edition and the Del Ray "Coming of Conan the Cimmerian" trilogy.
The former is cheaper, the latter is significantly more expensive but much more complete and includes a bunch of tertiary material.

Attached: complete-chronicles-conan-robert_1_7715dfbddcbea198f00ee0a2a2832e9d.jpg (810x1080, 296K)

My favourite remains The Outsider with it's incredibly blatant twist.

Was Lovecraft a Culter or Jian?

I might be retarded but Pathologic reminds me of multiple Lovecraft stories
>"enemy" is a plague that seems alive at times and could be considered a metaphysical concept, instead of fighting it it's more about trying(and failing) to protect the town
>one of the MCs is a doctor who seeks a way to defeat death itself
>strange secluded village with a subset of the population being part of a tribe with strange beliefs and traditions
>horror comes mainly from the unknown and piecing together what parts of the local folklore are actually true and how much that changes the bigger picture of the nature of the town

Attached: 1447003668818.jpg (1573x1100, 878K)

Test

is that papyrus

Lovecraft's style is such a fucking cop-out and everyone knows it

>this thing is like so totally crazy that I just won't write about it, I'll just tell you it's fucking wacko bro
>oh and btw the protagonist just "went mad" gg the end bye thanks for giving me your shekels dumb fucks

It's no surprise the dude disavowed his own writing. It's garbage, and the only people that enjoy it are desperately trying to channel emotions they've never felt. They want to "go mad" or some gay faggot shit.

>Most of Conan is public domain
I still don't get how Conan (and Howard's work in general) isn't public domain in the U.S.

Don't tell me what I did or did not read, faggot.
I read that gay story and that nigga Cthulhu got hit by a boat and died. Cut and dry, like Lovecraft's prose.

Because they're all too obsessed with muh monsters and muh unfathomable squid abominations and not just general atmosphere and the general introspectiveness of lovecraft characters.

Dead space is lovecraft Ian

I don't give a fuck about a proper Lovecraft game. Just give me Bloodborne 2 with more Aliens and Tentacles. A proper Lovecraft game would just be a walking simulator. Bloodborne 2 with more focus on the lovecraftian themes would be great, or maybe a new FromSoft IP with Lovecraft inspiration

Marvel ?

>this thing is like so totally crazy that I just won't write about it, I'll just tell you it's fucking wacko bro

Attached: 373496-bigthumbnail.jpg (450x300, 22K)

>I haven't read Lovecraft: The Post

>For an instant the ship was befouled by an acrid and blinding green cloud, and then there was only a venomous seething astern; where—God in heaven!—the scattered plasticity of that nameless sky-spawn was nebulously recombining in its hateful original form, whilst its distance widened every second as the Alert gained impetus from its mounting steam.

Based retard.

Mickey Mouse is going to enter public domain in a few years. Disney are lobbying the shit out of the government so this won't happen.

>we will never have a good hyborian age game
Only hope I have is a Bannerlord mod...

Attached: CONAN.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

It's a meme

For example take Shadows over Innsmouth. There isn't any big giant super monster in that one. It's just one dude going on an architectural exploration and seeing some disturbing shit and then being chased by the creepy locals.

A good lovecraft game should be about exploration, puzzling things together, observation. Those who jump directly to muh squid monsters miss the point.

Also there's so much fucking more to Lovecraft than Cthulhu.

Culter because fuck niggers and asians.
Although I'm not sure if any of his stories referenced East Asians. The exotic people in his stories were always niggers or arabs or indians if I remember correctly.

They didn't start publishing Conan comics until the 60s, and Howard had been dead for nearly 30 years by then.

The big difference is that Mickey has always been in the hand of Disney corp. While from what I can tell, some fanboy formed a Conan company in the 60s, and it and it's descendent present itself as the owners of the Conan IP.

HAO! DAI YE! We won again! This is good... but what is best in life?

Attached: 12442354.jpg (890x430, 57K)

The drowned god seems to be

Lovecraft is about forces that are beyond our perception so they appears as monsters and either drive us crazy or makes us worship them. So the tentacle monsters or Bel-Shamharoth is needed.

Disney.
Every time The Mouse is at risk of going public, lobbyists pressure government into extending copyright duration.

In Howard's time it was just twenty years after publication, and these first few stories of his are the ones that are public in Australia.
Then it was extended to life of the author, plus 20 years. Conan stories written after this law are still copyrighted even in Austalia.

Today the law is life of the author plus 70 years.

>we hit him with the boat and he disappeard instead of killing us all like a mad god he is supposed to be

Sounds pretty dead m8.

is thre any way to make outer space monsters that arwnt lovecraft? i dont think its been done and dont think it can be done

>I am not his murderer.
Wait a minute...
That line....

Attached: Y86BIh.jpg (1024x576, 52K)

Not really. Several of Lovecraft's stories end with the "evil" being vanquished or destroyed, so vulnerability doesn't automatically stop it from being Lovecraftian.

Attached: 100000009003146625_10204[1].jpg (600x600, 77K)

Copykikery.

Alien.

His stories did mention Asians sometimes, but I do remember one part in Through the Gates of the Silver Key has this.
>A slight change of angle could turn the student of today into the child of yesterday; could turn Randolph Carter into that wizard, Edmund Carter who fled from Salem to the hills behind Arkham in 1692, or that Pickman Carter who in the year 2169 would use strange means in repelling the Mongol hordes from Australia; could turn a human Carter into one of those earlier entities which had dwelt in primal Hyperborea and worshipped black, plastic Tsathoggua after flying down from Kythamil, the double planet that once revolved around Arcturus; could turn a terrestrial Carter to a remotely ancestral and doubtfully shaped dweller on Kythamil itself, or a still remoter creature of trans-galactic Stronti, or a four-dimensioned gaseous consciousness in an older space-time continuum, or a vegetable brain of the future on a dark, radioactive comet of inconceivable orbit - so on, in endless cosmic cycle.

You do know that book on the left does not exist today and that is just a fabricated from observers and idealists and not based from the direct copy from the real one since the real one was censored, burned, removed and siezed by both the public, government and the pope and it's religious totalitarian controlling factions back then thus killing the real legit book itself from existence...

Based frogs with obscure references.

>Conan book that thick
I'm sorry, but there's not that many Conan stories to warrant a book that thick unless it's either gigantic letters or some non-canon rando stories about conan.

Attached: CONANBAD.jpg (900x750, 116K)

post the monsters

pretty elderic if you ask me

Still doesn't make sense because the author died, so who has the rights?

The stars were no longer right. At best, all the boat did was slow him down so they wouldn't get eaten like the other crew members. He basically woke up, ate some food, stubbed his toe, then went back to sleep.

Wouldn't surprise me, because Lovecraft started getting attention in France before he did in other places.

lovecraftian horror largely revolves around fear of the unknown, and therefore of the unseen. A lot of the appeal of this style of fiction is how you imagine things in your head.
Video games are a visual medium, which causes problems.

Deadspace was RE4-in-space with a repetitive setting and limb-based combat. Big yawn as far as the plot goes.

There are lots of way you can create disturbing imagery that looks like nothing specific.
Also, you can never show the monsters and horrors, but this would require some good gameplay design.

So how accurate are the Conan movies?

The dream cycle is a much better setting for a video game than anything to do with the Cthulhu Mythos or Lovecraft's other stories with real-world/modern settings. It's a shame it's so overlooked.

>Dead Space
>started out as a system shock game
>devs thought it would be better to copy RE4 at the time
A shame.

Theoretically you could pull it off without ruining fear of the unknown. But in practice it would require so many limits to what the player can do, that it would probably just end up as a visual novel or walking simulator. In which case, why make it a "video game" at all if player agency is't a factor?

Arnie movies = not at all.
The one with Aquaman that flopped hard = some accuracy.

I'm happy I own this book desu

As far as the character goes, kind of worse than the book, Conan is a better character in the books, full of life and ambition, in movies he's kind of a fool.

But the adventures are pretty Conan, even though i liked some weird parts of the stories that were probably too hard to bring to the screen at the time.

Attached: ahnold.jpg (931x524, 56K)

One third of the book is unpublished drafts.

De Camp re-filed copyright as joint ownership to cover his edits/rewrites , and the date he did so combined with Disney's legal fuckery means Conan is private domain until like 2070.
Somehow his portion of the copyright is now owned by a predatory licensing group called Cabinet Entertainment.

The first one takes elements from The Hour of the Dragon, A Witch Shall be Born and some other story I can't remember right now.

The Dream Cycle is pure.

Not at all. The Arnold one is still pretty good and has some good usage of themes (musically, narratively, and visually) that are the big reason it was the golden standard for fantasy films until Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies. But only the first one.

At least this guy gets it. Lovecraft always shows his monster and usually has people trying to fight back against it, not just people going insane all the time.

God, De Camp really is to Howard what Derleth was to Lovecraft. I fucking hate both of them. But at least Lovecraft was able to escape Derleth's clutches into public domain.

It has elements of Tower of the Elephant.

The second movie had a traitorous wizard lady, an elder god, a damsel and a battle with a wizard.

It hit a lot of beat of a Conan story.

Dreamlands is a super cool and interesting concept that I know people will just fuck up since they can't even get the basicness of Cthulu down.

The problem is describing something through text is different than showing it. It's still "unknown" to the reader even if it isn't to the narrator, because you're just imagining in your head a representation of what you might think he sees based on the words you read.

>It's still "unknown" to the reader even if it isn't to the narrator
It's the opposite. The reader knows most of all, since the only limit is his imagination.
On film or in vidya you are limited by what artists can produce on a given budget in a given timeframe.

This is literary adaptation 101 come on lad

Things are described very well, like the description of an Elder Thing, what I thought it looks like from the description and an actual image came out the same way.

Attached: Elder Thing.jpg (825x1024, 706K)

They're too obsessed with him being racist. SJWs have a weird love of his stuff, but short circuit in the worst ways when they remember he was a crazy bigot.

I have actually no idea why people can't disassociate artists from their work, especially since Lovecrafts way of thinking was extremely common for the time.

Nothing crazy or wrong in racism though.

Amazon reviews say this book misses some chapters, is this true for the whole thing or is it just a couple of stories?

Also, he was only racist in the sense that he was pathologically afraid of foreigners. The man once had a mental breakdown when he learnt he might be part Danish.

>muh fear of the unknown
nigga isn't that just horror in general? fucking dumb lovecraft fanbiys

It is revolting to see SJW writers and their supporters get excited about "subverting his legacy" while gleefully trying to unperson him. The shit that started in 2014 with the World Fantasy Awards are what made me first really notice those types of people.

Which led to him writing a very good story.

See my post here

Second movie is a flaming pile of trash. All that needs to be said is in the first one Arnold had to tone down his muscles so he could wield a sword correctly and in the second one they just wanted him max buff. First one has soul.

I own both these editions and they're some of my favourites. I was also given something called Lyonesse in the same style but I have no idea what that is.

>Rats in the walls

Based niggerman bro

>nigga isn't that just horror in general?
No? Most horror is reflective of societal worries.
Vampires is fear of the rich preying on the poor, Frankenstein is fear of the callous detatchment of contemporary medical science, werewolves were explanation for serial killers, so on and so forth.

Lovecraft is unique in that he's the dude at the horror party who took a huge bong rip and said "DUDE what if society doesn't even matter? What if we're just ants to be trampled undertentacle by uncaring gods?"

I think it was mostly just the latter part. Dude loved his mom.

Worms of the earth by R.E. Howard has some Lovecraft stuff in it.

>he might be part Danish.
He knew that Americans were immigrants, right?
He wasn't that stupid, right?

He did and he wrote a bunch of letters explaining how ashamed he was of his naive views.

To amend this, I'd recommend reading Shadow Out of Time after At the Mountains of Madness, since they chronologically happen in that order.

Of course he did. But before america became totally mutted, white people used to identify with the nation they came from. I think Lovecraft was proud of having English heritage.

I have this in my locker at work, it gets me through the day.

It was Welsh, not Danish user.

The English Americans hated any and all immigrants that weren't English.

There are good reasons for that too. Like how most Europeans today hate gypsies.

>all Slavs and Romanians today hate gypsies.
ftfy
Western yurops fucking love them for some reason.

Gypsies are legitimately awful people.

Where's my Fafhrd and Gray Mouser game?

Attached: mouse1.jpg (475x675, 65K)

Why? At least in Finland everyone thinks they're shit.

>Sprague who did the translations?
No he use to have the ip and save the original stories but write low tier stories based on conan for example the conan in the conan the barbarian classic movie is how Sprague portray conan in hes fanfiction
The conan in the savaged sword comicbooks era is the best representation of conan so far thanks to roy thomas
Im still dont understand how spain the most cucked country in europe still reprint conan comicbooks

no they don't

>Why?
Disney and they really think that gypsies are mysterious and shit like Esmeralda.

His private letters reveal that he was racist even by the standards of his time and had spent a lot of time thinking about it. His arguments on the subject are actually convincing and well thought out. I don't have a problem with this, but you're going to get ripped to shreds if you try to trot out the "product of his time" argument against an SJW who's actually read his stuff. Lovecraft's particular brand of racism was too detailed and rational to be handwaved away as merely a product of the time or his eccentric personal anxieties.

He was a LITERAL Xenophobe, he had a fear of what was foreign and unknown, that's literally what made him right good stories, because he was able to express that fear and show off the perspective of someone who has a fear of anything that is unknown. SJWs will never understand that because they only thing they had to fear is their privilege getting taken away when people realise that they are all rich spoiled kids. Lovecraft's fear did not make him a bad person, just a very scared and paranoid person. And SJWs can't understand that because they've never had to face such a frightening idea of seeing ANYTHING remotely foreign to you as a monstrous threat simply because it is different. People use xenophobe as some kind of insult along the lines of bigot but being a xenophobe is seriously different from being a bigot. The definition was just reinvented recently by retards that don't know jack shit.

Attached: 1561536633599.jpg (400x400, 31K)

>against an SJW who's actually read his stuff
Thankfully that number is very few. But regardless, trying to argue with them is a genuine wasted effort. Lovecraft is forever tainted in their view, and nothing will ever change that for them.

I just usually respond with "Lovecraft's racism is easily the least interesting theme in all of his works, and in the grand scheme of his work it's not that important compared to almost everything else he wrote."

Lovecraft's writings aren't exactly hard to digest though. Not like they're these tomes filled with to-us obtuse parlance, like a lot of classics. I read them all over like a year and they're just... well, they're pulp fiction, essentially.

only non-european americans are mutted user
they're just afraid to talk about it for some reason beyond me. honestly, a lot of the current issues would solve themselves right away if whites just stopped being such little bitches and just saying what they actually think instead of hiding behind layers and layers of euphemisms

Attached: 1560260114885.jpg (697x1175, 395K)

Please read this:
Except his """"racism""""" is the most interesting theme because it's born off of a chronic problem of xenophobia he actually had, it was a form of autism in a way. It's what makes his writing so interesting because as I said, he saw literally everything that he did not know as being some kind of threat. Even Nicholas fucking Tesla (Nyarlathotep is based on that fear, yes. It fucking is)

Attached: I implore you to reconsider.gif (360x213, 2.12M)

Is this worth playing solo just for the lewd mods or is the grind abysmal?

Cthulhu is definitely a god, just not in the Christian sense of the word.

>god
>a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

It's the Mortal Kombat thing. It makes no sense to go into battle nearly naked, except if you're a male then it's 110% fine.

Plenty of tasteful people ITT, I'm proud

Dark Corner of the Earth was good game. Generally the problem with Lovecraft is that it's actually mostly like detective stories, or about scholars and whatnot who stumble upon something they shouldn't. It's much less about the actual horror rather than the road towards it's discovery and the general atmosphere. If you just make it about blasting fish fuckers it becomes meaningless. If you want it to be like that you need it to be like The Thing but even that movie was more about the atmosphere.

Where is it user, where is the stream?

Yo those are some sexy books.

I can't set it up sadly, internet's too shit to actually be the person streaming. I can watch streams just fine though.
Somebody please do it for me. The last Kung Pow Stream was in the Anonymous Agony thread and I've been yearning for another one ever since.

Attached: betty laughs.jpg (491x414, 39K)

you can just play the witcher 3 it was basically stolen elric

>Lovecraft's writings aren't exactly hard to digest though
His writing is unbearably dry. I had to brute-force my way through his short stories by reading along with an audiobook and I still fell asleep.

>stolen elric
Sup Razorfist, where is the video that BTFO Witcher being a 1:1 copy of Elric?

>Witcher is stolen Elric
First off, second time in a row I've seen talk of Elric on Yea Forums today.
Second of all, how the fuck is Elric's story arc any similar to the Witcher's? Isn't Geralt some kind of monster hunter with weird powers whilst Elric is a frail albino destined to be king who is powered by a soul draining sword and is destined to suffer many tragedies in life whilst being played by the Chaos Gods as their own personal puppet whilst he needs to fulfil his destiny as the Eternal Champion and restore balance to the Multiverse? Other than design there's not much similarity between them.

Attached: Elric of Melnibone Amano Art.jpg (550x826, 140K)

>Other than design there's not much similarity between them.
Tell that to Razorfist, not me.

Don't wanna sound like a newfag, but who the fuck is he? I don't lurk much in Witcher threads.

Attached: Confused Doomguy.png (226x204, 4K)

>but who the fuck is he?
An irrelevant youtuber who got a hard on Sapkowski plagiarized Moorcock.

Interesting quests, that are ruined by the fact its an MMO, and everyone is running around solving them so you can just watch and copy.

Fucking faggots. All of you.

Attached: Paranoid.jpg (1200x844, 122K)

Is his name Rageholic on Youtube by chance?

Attached: Straight to the trash.gif (580x433, 1.96M)

>Rageholic
Yeah, that one.

Looking at his channel, holy fuck he seems to make a living out of clickbait. I'll turn on Adblock for this fucker. I am interested to hear what fucking mental gymnastics it would take to justify saying that Witcher is a rip-off of Elric, and I am saying this as a fan of Elric and as someone not really fond of Witcher (I prefer Sapkowski's Hussite trilogy and think that Witcher is overrated and fanficy).

Attached: Gohan transforms and calls you a retard.gif (500x378, 1.05M)

>I prefer Sapkowski's Hussite trilogy
Same, finished the first book and I liked how it was more grounded with the fantasy stuff.

>Elric+Amano
Holy shit how did I not know these two legends had crossed paths

Yep. Plus I am Czech and seeing the Hussite Wars adapted in a low fantasy setting is pretty fucking interesting to me, I've only read the first book myself so I can't judge the rest. Either way, it's weird to see someone dislike Witcher to the point of claiming it's a rip-off of an unrelated series that is far better but has almost nothing to do with it. It confuses me so much as an Elric fan.

Attached: Hussites fight a Knight.jpg (573x800, 105K)

Why indeed.

Attached: teutons according to lovecraft.jpg (693x1024, 105K)

I think it might be an inherent conceptual flaw. Games are supposed to be fun. Characters in Lovecraft stories do not have fun.
They don't have fun at all, OP.
The sense of hopelessness and insignificance characters feel as they begin to unravel things beyond their understanding can only go so far in a gameplay sense, especially now since we're surrounded by all this HIDE FROM THE MONSTER OR GAME OVER shit. I never found those games very entertaining, but they're good examples. You give too much power to the player, the games aren't scary and the Lovecraft themes are ruined since you'll just be reduced to tentacles and shadow people or whatever.
You take away too much and the game gets boring as fuck, like a cover shooter without the shooting.
I also think we're all forgetting the most important reason why Lovecraft's works can never truly work in vidya or film though. It's up to the person reading to try to imagine the nasty cosmic fuckery themselves and apply their own fears and insecurities. If you're just showed "here's a shoggoth" all the fear of the unknown vanishes as you stare down a pudding with eyes and mouths.

Attached: 1508832450115.jpg (546x1100, 230K)

Yeah, Amano made a few illustrations of Moorcock's books. One of them was the cover of one of the collected novels for Corum. Just look up Amano Moorcock or Amano Elric and you'll find a ton of illustrations. There are a few that aren't Moorcock related (like the Arslan illustration that has nothing do with Moorcock). It shocked me as well, but It was cool finding that out.

Attached: Michael Moorcock Corum.jpg (344x550, 94K)

Silent Hill games aren't fun and manage abstract concepts just fine.

Incorrect dude. Read Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath. That book could easily be adapted into Vidya, hell it works in a pre-Skyrim Elder Scrolls setting too in a way.

Yeah I think this the case, his books lay out exactly how a game should be. I want a lovecraft horror game where you explore endless underwater catacombs full of deformed cultists.

I don't consider blatant metaphors very abstract.

Moorcock loves Amano's work, said he's one of the few, if not only, artists to really get Elric.

What books have you read recently, Yea Forums?
Edgar Allan Poe Collection
Witcher Books
You Only Live Twice

I get my kicks from deep sea stuff.

Attached: starfish by peter watts.jpg (1100x1650, 140K)

Roadside picnic. The sixth extinction. A briefing for a descent to hell

I'm checking out Clark Ashton Smith, but only read some of his poetry, it's alright. I heard the City of the Singing Flame is good so I'm gonna read through that soon.

no, the problem has been the games have been fotm meme games that Funcom tried shitting out.

mmo, minecraft survival, tower defense. like the other user said Funcom holds the conan universe hostage, and we wont get a good game until someone that understands and passionate about Conan gets the IP.

Also we dont need a game on Conan, his story is done. If you want Conan, read Howard. Howard wrote a whole history about Hyboria, and its a perfect place for writers to create their own stories in there, so long as they understand Howard's work and arent bluepilled fanatics.

>Bannerlord

Attached: 1560851906922.jpg (482x427, 58K)

Pattern Recognition by Gibson, I found it pretty enjoyable. I acknowledge Gibson's prose isn't everyone's taste, but I can't really explain why I enjoy it.
I've got some weeb stuff on the shelf, and also plan to re-read the Witcher saga before playing the games, as I've yet to play the third.

the Iliad

I only read light novels these days like the proper weebshitter that I am. Finished reading Index (The normal one, not New Testament) last week and decided to start Monogatari in this one. Currently going through Kizu, it's pretty good.

Attached: Wound Tale.jpg (367x499, 44K)

For those who haven't read and want to get into Lovecraft with a short story and not one of his massive boring ones. I suggest The Music of Erich Zann. It's a short easy read that has an interesting premise and will give you an idea of his writing.

>But more wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean. Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent. All my days have I watched it and listened to it, and I know it well. At first it told to me only the plain little tales of calm beaches and near ports, but with the years it grew more friendly and spoke of other things; of things more strange and more distant in space and in time. Sometimes at twilight the grey vapours of the horizon have parted to grant me glimpses of the ways beyond; and sometimes at night the deep waters of the sea have grown clear and phosphorescent, to grant me glimpses of the ways beneath. And these glimpses have been as often of the ways that were and the ways that might be, as of the ways that are; for ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.

What stops someone from making their own Conan game?

Al Capone?!

If you're gonna be a weeb that reads light novels, pick up one that continues the weird tale tradition, like Vampire Hunter D.

I started reading Flatland, but got bored and stopped.

>reading HP Lovecraft in published order
>lost at sea
>Reanimator
>Rats in the Wall
>Then reach The Music of Erich fucking Zann
Everyone memes Cthulhu, but having that spaced out with his other works makes it so much better. The stories are genuinely enjoyable.

Dreamlands game when?

Attached: 1540686363048.jpg (876x1412, 79K)

Erich Zann is great, as is Pickman's Model.

Funcom dipshits own the rights to use Conan/ Hyboria world.

Cthulhu gets memed so much because August Derleth was a fucking retard and pushed him hard. Most of the misconceptions about Lovecraft's work stem from that moron.

Lovecraft wanted to make sure that his close group of friend writers, were all writing canon stories in his universe.
He wanted them to add to it.

Rights are held by Cabinet Entertainment (formerly Paradox Entertainment- yes, THAT Paradox, but separated a long time ago) , a holding company that owns the Howard estate somehow.

Neither of those collections are complete, and both have a ton of print errors.

and although Conan Exiles was a meme fotm shittery, its pretty fun for a rust-clone, probably the best one there is

shame the /vg/ general got fucked over by everyone wanting their own special server

Singleplayer is actually enjoyable, although if you're just in it for the sex mods then you'll probably be disappointed.

You're better off just appreciating the vanilla experience. Carving out a fortress, covering it in slave thralls to defend against Purges, and a throne room filled to the brim with a harem of naked dancers.

Completing the Journey for the first time was pretty fun. I do recommend the game even in singleplayer.

Attached: Capture.png (1112x624, 1.83M)

Because he wasn't a very good writer.

In order to do you would have to be a racist

>Neither of those collections are complete
Well, the Necro literally says "The Best Of" right on the cover. There's a companion volume that offers the rest of his works.

Same for Conan. That book only offers the stories featuring Conan himself. The companion volume features all the remaining works from that setting, including when the leads are other characters Conan met.

Attached: Capture.jpg (1072x1600, 504K)

and Bob Dylan wasn't a good singer, doesn't make them any less legends in their own field.

He's a fine writer for what he set out to do. Not everything needs to read like Ernest Hemingway.