Respawn Gives up On Source Engine for Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

dsogaming.com/news/respawn-on-why-it-used-unreal-engine-4-instead-of-source-engine-or-frostbite-engine-for-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order/

>“There were a couple of other options out there, and remember we weren’t part of EA at this point so Frostbite wasn’t even an option, so I started taking around with it and was “Wow this is really powerful for what an individual developer can do with it, imagine what a whole team can do with it”. So we just pushed forward with it and we are very happy with the decision.”

>Vince Zampella re-confirmed Asmussen’s claims, stating that they were hiring a new team and it was easier to find people that were familiar with Unreal Engine 4 than with other engines like the Source Engine.

>“It made sense for the team, you know. So we are hiring up for a new team. It’s easier to find people that have Unreal Engine 4 experience, it was an engine that fit what we were kind of trying to do, instead of trying to adapt the Source Engine over. In evaluating all the engines that were available to us this is the one that the team felt it was the best choice.”

Reminder if you buy this game, EPIC gets a cut

Gaben eternally and forever, BTFO

Attached: 56d9d6816e97c61e048bba2e-750-562.jpg (750x562, 48K)

This creepy wanker is giving out free engines!

>Unreal Engine 4
Welp, there goes my hope for Titanfall 3 or any shooter coming from Respawn. There's not a single UE4 shooter that felt responsive enough, especially for twitchy games. Meanwhile Quake engine, and by extension Source, have literally perfect mouse input. Just compare playing Insurgency on Source and Insurgency Sandstorm on UE4.

fucking 15 y.o. engine

>actually buying star wars crap in the year 1982+37
i sure do have high hopes for the purple-haired trannie jedi in xvart's quest to use the Force and correct gender mispronouning by evil Imperials

What's wrong with the Unreal Engine?

Wasn't DA:I's development a fucking mess because they were forced to use Frostbite?

Attached: china.jpg (2000x1334, 937K)

I'm going to laugh when Tim makes it a rule of using Unreal that the game then has to be sold on Epic.

yep

Nothing, he's a delusional id drone.

>we weren't part of ea
sure you weren't

That would be really stupid of him to do, would lose more money than gain.

Epic is American and the Unreal Engine was made before Tencent ever bought shares of Epic. I was specifically talking about the technical issues with it, by the way.

they have only a minimal incentive to care about what engine you use as long as they are collecting a percentage of every sale anyway
obviously they would like for everyone to use unreal since this would guarantee a percentage from all games sold anywhere, but when you are selling through their store they are already getting a percentage of your revenue

also free games and free assets

Attached: china censorship.png (390x598, 54K)

Source is a really outdated engine at this point, it makes sense that people are moving on to engines that are publically available and have large amounts of people who know how to use it.
What I'm wondering is will Valve keep Source 2 under wraps like Source 1, or will they go the Unity/Unreal route and make it free? They might have left it too long at this point seeing as how the Industry standards are Unity and Unreal, even for Indie games.

Attached: Untitled.png (800x654, 1.1M)

Then EA and all of its subsidiaries will just stop fucking using it.

source is basically one trick pony engine designed to only run first person shooter games, it's not very feasible nowadays especially with extremely outdated BSP technology which was a good idea for Doom or Quake but the computational power required grows exponentally with details in level, nowadays you're better off just rendering all the stuff on the level with some basic culling

Well at least they're not using frostbite, I've only ever read stories of devs being annoyed with working with that engine.

It's a EA/Disney game, why would you even pay a cent? Worst case it's already bundled into EA's gameflix so you're not paying full price I guess.

>have to pay royalties to china forever for your work
>free

afaik, Frostbite is designed for fps shooter only. The rest is history, like MEA they have to start from scratch and then realize Frostbite doesn't have proper features for RPG system. Similar thing happened to Anthem

Sandstorm feels better lol

At this point source is no longer relevant. Valve does not really care about anything that isn't steam, it just print too much money

thats too bad, titan fall 2 feels great and i get the sense the source engine is a big part of that. the weird part is EA wasnt ramming frostbite down their throat like every other dev they publish.

the founders were subjects of a lawsuit involving activision and ea and they wanted the appearance of independence

One would imagine that a company with basically an infinite source of money would be using that more to make whatever the fuck they want rather than just shit out trend chasing copies of other games every couple of years, but I dunno maybe I'm the dumb one here

>make whatever the fuck they want

>rather than just shit out trend chasing copies of other games every couple of years

maybe those two things coincide you know, maybe they are actually faggots

*ahem*
TIANANMEN SQUARE MASSACRE 1989
FREE TIBET
WINNIE POOH
*dabs*

And MA:Andromeda and Anthem. While they had a lot of other issues, having to fight with Frostbite surely didn't ease things up.

not him, but personally weapons have never felt like they have satisfying or responsive feedback or weight

obsessed

I'll pirate it.

Every UE4 game looks like plastic.

Attached: 1561414769474.jpg (720x611, 44K)

That's not an engine problem, that's a hack developer problem.

>controllers
>VR
>whatever the fuck for linux they're doing
>now remote play
they are making whatever they want

Strangely there's no game to prove otherwise on UE4.

gears

>Every UE4 game looks like plastic.
God, this is so true. I played RS2 recently and I had forgotten how shitty it looks. It's full of those moments where the textures have not completely loaded yet and it leaves this vomit-like pre-load texture on everything. I hate UE3-4 so much. And I hate that it's going to keep being used because it's free. Worst engine I've ever played on.

>Frostbite doesn't have proper features for RPG system

but this is not the issue with the engine? RPG stuff should be implemented in game code

Not an fps.

>There's not a single UE4 shooter that felt responsive enough, especially for twitchy games.
UT4 genuinely is the exception, funnily enough. It's mostly a matter of retards not being any good at implementing stuff.

That's not the way idiots (read: most game devs) see it. They see the engine as a set of finished tools that they plop things into and it should 'just werk'. Code is a foreign idea to the new wave of cheap graduates coming out of gamedev degrees.

I don't mind their engine. I have a problem with their store and how they get their shit.

why wont devs use unity for first person shooters?

Attached: 1561107707952.gif (300x375, 1.02M)

>buy
Ahahahaha

Indie devs sometimes do. Dusk was Unity.

It has to do with how they've tooled up that far in.
Half of the game development process when working with a new engine becomes retooling it or making completely new tools for production with that Engine.

Escape from Tarkov.

>Modern Star Wars

Attached: 1541134534017.jpg (480x480, 39K)

That's okay I don't buy ea games anyway

You do realize the reason they do it this way now is because games have become absurdly complex in terms of raw code and visual construction, right? It would take significantly longer to get anything done if they were spending all of their time playing code monkey without these engine based tools.

>Tencent now bribes companies so they would say that Source Engine bad even if they didn't discuss it in the first place

dude, C++ is turing-complete. anything you can conceivably do with a computer, you can do with unreal.

Nothing. Just lazy Devs never change the default physics values so every single unreal game feels like floaty plastic ass

Who the fuck would want to buy that game after seeing the snooze fest that their E3 presentation was?

There's no "now" about it user. Games are not significantly more complex outside of the graphical pipeline which was always handled by the engine (which was outsourced 9 times out of 10). The change is easier non-code tools to cut down on work. Having less people on your team is cheaper, yes. It's just everyday automation.

I knew I should've picked up that health pack before coming in here.

This reminds that I'm still mad that Epic forsook UT for Fortnite.

God damn it. Just give me more UT.
Literally the only FPS that feels good to play in that engine.

You never said FPS, dumbo.

Bros this can't be happening, EA will dumb frostbite soon and jump over to the unreal epic train....tick tock valve drones....tick tock

Killing Floor 2 was in UE.

What happened to Source 2? how many decades do they need to make it?

Maybe they'll make it open to the public once all three of the games they announced are finally out?

dota and artifact both already use source 2

UE3

My point stands. UE4 is an improvement so new FPS games on it can only be better.

Well they're really not, the fps games at least.

Are you being purposefully obtuse?

Has there even been ANY non-Valve game made in Source 2 yet? It's really no surprise they found more people with experience on Unreal than Source.

too bad we haven't even gotten one and supposedly we were at least supposed to have some kind of news with Index release

Source 2 isnt public yet.

It's still not public. And it's been like what? 4 years already? Might be still polishing the engine up.

Attached: 1554240241577.jpg (2000x1125, 1.48M)

One of the biggest problems I feel is that Valve sold people on Source by producing quality games using the engine to show people what it was capable of.

They need a killer app so to speak before they can launch the thing but I imagine they just spend days counting money and searching for digital hat codes in Gabe's fat folds.

no engine royalties when you release on Epic Games Store

That has nothing to do with the engine.
That has little to do with the engine as well, lazy devs just use default Lambert and all that shit instead of adapting it to their own game.

It has fucked input for the most part.

Literally nothing. People who know nothing about game development complain all the time though

>delete epic account
>immediately get 4 of these the following day

Thanks, Tim.

Attached: some dumb kid will fall for it.jpg (788x890, 128K)