How's that game coming along Yea Forums~

how's that game coming along Yea Forums~
you do know how to code, right?

Attached: 1559699056189m.jpg (1024x974, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/tokens/interpolated
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>*m.jpg
off yourself phoneposting nigger

anime sucks

But does it swallow?

No. I only know how to pluck teeth

Nope. I was pretty bad in programming class at high school. Haven't coded anything since l.

you probably just weren't taught the necessary prerequisites

No...i dont know how to code. I really have only a surface level of computer knowledge- any code or programmimg is gobbledygook to me. It feels bad because i grew up using computers frequently, but it was developed enough to have a user friendly interface, so i didnt learn jack. The generations before me had to learn that techno stuff to even get it to work, the generations after me are getting coding workshops in elementary.

Attached: aaf2784695252d6bd8684d97916321d8.png (680x497, 80K)

Yes, but gamedevs are all dumb niggers and should kill themselves

Attached: bigbrain.jpg (482x295, 26K)

Nah, I just didn't really care.

I already have to finish my University project for Thursday fuck off

C

I know nothing of art, game design or player psychology.
Knowing how to code won't get you anywhere close to finishing a good game.

First, get a standard calculus text and dive in. You should also get linear algebra and discrete math books as well; make sure the discrete text is proof based.

Once you're a couple chapters in to your discrete book (you will want to have covered basic proposition and higher order logic, and basic proofs), you may begin learning programming and computer architecture. As a litmus test, if you don't know what this statement is

∀P((0∈P∧∀i(i∈P-->i+1∈P))-->∀n(n∈P))

you aren't ready to take the reins of a computer.

Now, forget what you do know about computer programming:

First, you learn boolean logic operations
then, you learn transistor logic
then, you learn how to build functional units from logic gates
then, you learn CPU design
then, and only then, you learn assembly language
then, after you have mastered assembly language (not dabbled, but mastered it), you learn C
then, after you have mastered C, you may learn the higher-level languages of your choice, but you will always use C and assembly as your primary languages because everything else is unnecessary bloat.

By this time you should be finished with your first wave of math and ready for the next: abstract algebra, analysis, multivariate and vector calculus, and, after you have progressed a way in those, topology.

Finally, you become familiar with topoi, and study the internal logic of categories
then familiarize yourself with (general) type theory, and its applications to programming. I also recommend studying how to reformulate mathematics in terms of globular categories for use in automatic theorem proving, because there is an inherent programming-like 'feel' to it.

Attached: smug.jpg (225x225, 7K)

I know how to code, it's the creation of assets part that gets me
>Why don't you hire people to do it?
What am I, made out of money?

coding is so fucking autistic, i dont understand how anyone does it without wanting to off themselves after 5 minutes

I want to create a game but education left my brain devoid of any imagination.
Any user a cool idea?

>ywn be harassed about your personal failings by a cute loli

yikes honey.

>First language you should learn is Assembly, until you master it

Attached: 1559010215045.png (219x214, 62K)

I graduated from CE, you can't fool me.
That being said, my Unity kusoge garbage is making progress.

I dekinaid on programming a long time ago. My brain couldn't keep up with all the functions nested inside functions being called by other functions nested inside functions.

Attached: 1454494578224.jpg (396x480, 32K)

Nigger, instead of posting the same shit in every vidya dev-related thread ever start actually fucking learning something.
Dumb defeatist anime poster faggot.

Dokuro-san doujin are GODtier

I am learning things. Programming is just not a good fit for my brain.

Attached: 1488427790004.jpg (1280x720, 144K)

Good for you.
If you wanted to learn programming but refused to do it I would proceed to call you nigger once again, but in this case it's alright.
Ganbare faggot

Uguu

I'm too lazy to start sadly

So far I've just been testing different engines and working on basic controls and mechanics for a few games before I settle on which idea I want to try running with. Learning how to code has been remarkably easy, but figuring out how to make even simplistic art assets has been extremely challenging and time-consuming.

is that the best language to program games in?

I couldn't do calculus in high school though. I barely passed Trigonometry.

I graduated 13 years ago. Where has the time gone?

Coming along well, honestly. I'm picking up Unity/C# fairly intuitively by reading the documentation and I've just coded my primary gameplay loop.

Basically it's a 2D platformer where you can't move left or right but you can jump and hurl yourself at walls, and once you stick to a new wall gravity rotates to point towards the new wall.

Rotating gravity was a surprisingly easy task. A simple matrix product. Pay attention during Physics and Linear Algebra classes, kids. Don't fall for that lie they tell you that "you won't use any of this when you grow up". You will.

LUL
Computer Science tranny

You'll get the hang of it. It's just another language, but now you're communicating with machines and software. With enough practice it'll start to make sense.

I can only draw, I want to make a character action game but can't code for shit

Just do the Kirby thing and make blobby placeholders while you churn out pixelshit. And then at some point knuckle down and learn blender.

>you do know how to code, right?
Not really.
I gave up on it already, sorry onechan

What are your thoughts on engines so far, user? I wanted to try out a GMS2 trial over the summer but I spent two evenings mulling my game idea over on Unity and ended up with a working prototype seen in so I think I'm gonna stay with Unity for a bit. It's just that I saw Yahtzee use GMS2 for his games and it looked interesting.

I do, but I'd rather use my skill on stuff that is actually profitable.

>Rotating gravity was a surprisingly easy task. A simple matrix product.
Gib snippet, I'm curious

It's a work in progress and there's plenty to be done but I'm pretty pleased with how the base movement turned out.

Attached: Demo01.gif (1028x450, 148K)

Code snippet, you negroid
Looks pretty cool

Something to the tune of

NewForce=(Oldforcex*Cos(Theta) - Oldforcey*Sin(Theta) , Oldforcex*Sin(Theta) + Oldforcey*Cos(Theta))

You're multiplying the vector Oldforce=(Oldforcex, Oldforcey) by the 2×2 rotation matrix A=(Cos Theta , -Sin Theta; Sin Theta , Cos Theta) which is a standard rotation operation. The trick was that I had to define my own gravity (0,Fgrav) in the script so I could rotate it at will. Easier than tussling with the engine's in-built gravity.

Pretty smart, although I'm pretty sure Unity has built-in methods similar to this when it comes to fucking around with gravity.
Not sure, never fiddled with gravity myself.

adorable!

Literally quitting my gamedev job today, feels good bro. It's NEET life for me from now on. I tried, but it was just too shit

>knuckle down and learn blender
Pointless if you're not an artist. People can tell, programmer art doesn't sell unless your game is so awesome that it can sell with no art at all

>final year cs course
>One of the modules asks us for the main project to create a game
>So far all our projects have been really fucking boring so were all pretty hype to make our own personal vidya game
>The lecturer for this module is a giant cunt, most of the year complain about him to the college president and have nearly got him fired before (he shows up late to classes around 30 mins constantly and sometimes doesn't show up at all)
>He really hates our year due to this
>Either way im so hyped to code my own vidya that I put a fuck ton of effort into it
>Inspired by OFF and Hollow Knight I decided to create a 2D platformer where you play as dude with a baseball bat who has to kill ghosts
>Combat is very similar to hollow knight but with a unique little twist on the gameplay I cant be assed explaining
>Lecturer wants design briefs in class
>Write the whole thing up, about 5k words
>Lecturer reveals his dastardly plan which he hatched to get revenge on us complaining about him all the time
>He makes us swap our game design with the person beside us in the lecture hall (person to my right gets my game, I get the person to the lefts game)
>I get some basic as fuck mobile platformer from a total under acheiver in the class, games so easy and basic I code the whole thing in a week
>The person who got my complex as fuck game was a Chinese girl who barely speaks a lick of English
>Had to have a meeting with her for two hours to explain what a fucking ghost was and how a health system works
>Fast forward to deadline day, we need to present the completed project to the person we got it off
>chink girl shows me how she created the game I designed
>The title screen is a fucking league skin I think? (Pic related)
>Main character sprite is LITERALLY Alucard from Symphony of the Night except his cape is purple
>The only enemy type in the game (ghosts) are zombies, the zombies are also sprites ripped from castevania
>Unironically asks me "did you rike it?"

Attached: nicegamegirl.png (2048x1081, 1.62M)

Also, she got the gameplay itself completely wrong, since we were being graded on being 100 percent accurate to what design brief was presented to us she nearly failed but I felt bad because she was a chink boot legger who didn't speak a word of English so I asked the lecturer dude to go easier on her.

Currently coding a welding sparks effect to use as machine "blood".

Replicating real life effects is hard.

Attached: unknown.png (1600x900, 1.1M)

>Main character sprite is LITERALLY Alucard from Symphony of the Night except his cape is purple

Based chinks

take any popular game and reskin with hot anime bitches in skimpy outfits

the problem is, I follow a tutorial, out of nowhere they do things I have no idea why they're doing it, like something as simple as a write line command in C#, sometimes they just put text, but sometimes they add a "$" before the text, I have no fucking why sometimes it's needed and sometimes it's not, and that kind of shit happens all the time. I just want a tutorial series that's complete, from being a dumb ass nigga to becoming fucking john carmack and I can start making videogames.

You got google. Just use it. Back in my days we had a book and no guides. And when the book was wrong you would waste weeks.
t.started coding at 12.

I did
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/tokens/interpolated

I still don't get it

While an assignment like that would help with being a starting programmer, ie: You do what you are given in a design brief and improve it, that is a bit of a cruel thing to do as well.

Can't you tell yourself by the example alone?
Without $ you use variable place holders (0,1,2,3) and provide the variables at the end in the same order. With $ you just place the variables inside the string exactly where you want them.

University and college are giant fucking memes
Its all busy work and stupid shit like this

You can learn everything you get out of a year of university in 2 weeks at your computer

It's a disaster by design. The overarchieverws get an easy assignments from the slackers while the slackers get killed by the tryhard design they can't follow. It's like swapping pro players with noobs in matchmaking for lulz.

While thats completely true good luck getting a job without the degree.

Thats exactly what happened as well. I got the most basic run of the mill mario rip off possible while some of the complete idiots of the class got VR unity games from the straight A harvard tier pajeets.

This is actually kind of relevant to me, even though it reads like pasta. I've always wanted to play around with the c64 and I've got an idea for a little game. Writing anything decent for the hardware means writing in assembly, just for a completely obselete architecture.

This is the thing that still fucking annoys the hell out of me. It's not what you know, but how you know and who you know. I fucking hate this shit because looking for a job is hard because I haven't taken the classes they want me to do yet even though I have the knowledge already on hand and when I do those classes I usually breeze through them.

no I don't
I'm trying to find some nice C# tutorials but all of them are fucking shitty

Attached: 1560994238956.jpg (360x360, 74K)

I would agree if you would say you don't need most of what you learn to code games but you will never learn everything they teach in under a year. You wouldn't even finish a single machine learning class in under 2 weeks.

To this day I still can't believe Minecraft runs on Java, what a fucking dogshit language.

I finished it years ago.

Java is good cause you get shit done fast and speed is often more valuable than anything else.

what's the best programming tutorial ever

>quick
>works
>easy
Hello world!

Attached: 1519623225172.png (3640x2140, 1.45M)

I only realised how retarded I was after graduating and getting a job. Fuck programming and fuck compter science.

Why are the CS trannies in this picture so fucking huge except for the one under the bed? If that's not the case then why is the dad such a fucking manlet?

I just want to be a programmer chad like you guys, please don't mock me.

Attached: mechimp.gif (499x341, 1.47M)

while(true){
update(elapsed_time);
render();
} // this is as far as i've gotten

Representation of their ego.
Crushed father, proud degenerates.

That reply was kinda legit though. There is no universal best tutorial, just one that's used everywhere. You first have to look at what you want to do, select the best language for it and then you can look for the appropriate guide.

It's like asking whats the best tutorial for woodworking - I'm gonna link you a sanding guide and not how to build a table cause that's easy and universally useful.

I dont but neither do most game devs so I think ill do alright

Care to elaborate? What made the job worse than getting the degree?

No, but I know how to draw. Instead building a PC in two weeks to dick around with UE4.

what's the best tutorial for developing 2d games on Unity with 0 knowledge in programming?

Designing data structures for said game is hard apparently.

op should unironically kill himself for being a pants shitting drooling retard and knowing jackshit about coding

t. C++ senior software engineer, 15yrs into the job with D grades in math

coding requires the most basic mathematics, the worst you'll encounter are matrices and integrals, if you know those it's a breeze, everything else (architectures, etc.) is just plain logic and is blunt memorization

vidya dev is literally just abuse of productive techniques and procedures, see making ofs of old games like super bing bing wahoo bros or FF7

Attached: 1560936661638.jpg (400x400, 29K)

>Learn C#
>Learn Unity
>Make asset flip
That's the way to go, not your try hard crap.

>make assets
>flip them to asset flippers
That's the actual unironic way to go

The transition from one gravity region to the next could need some polish.
We had something similar for a mini-game section once. I tried some approaches,
but sticked with every platform having their own gravitiy acceleration with a pretty hefty drop off
and giving the platform that the avatar was closest to a platform a 1.5x multiplier bonus to
overcome the pull of others. The results were actually pretty good, except for overshooting a
platform in the wrong direction, but our mini game didn't require that so it was okay.

Get fucked pedophile tranny

Ah, good old /g/ pasta.

>game dev thread
>it's just pr*grammers
You do know you've been replaced by literally anyone who can move little boxes around in a blueprint, right?
>b-b-b-but muh extremely specific case that can't be done in a blueprint
Okay goy, I'll hire you for 1 just ONE hour to do that thing for me, then you can fuck off.

formerly seeds

>no codemonkey
only works for generic reskins. If you want any kind of innovation you need at least someone able to script.

That's only true for certain kinds of games and mechanics. You can make a very innovative turn based combat system with very little coding involved.

Still working on my robot
I finished the hands last night, now for the head

Attached: wip03.png (780x604, 168K)

I know that's why i don't watch it enymore. Man i miss the 90s! Shit whas good yo.

didn't backup, hard drive went rip
=rip all my work. The consolidation prize is my models are in vrchat in a custom world so other people can still use them but i don't have login data since it was on the same hard drive too.

Been kinda busy lately but I'm going to make some sprites today

Attached: warhead explosion.gif (172x172, 19K)

I learned something. Thank you.

>Why yes I played Haydee how could you tell?

C us pretty cute and funny

I was going for a Drossel vibe but ok I guess that works too

Attached: drossel.jpg (428x606, 20K)

Make her have cute vent holes on her face that glows red when she blushes

environment test for a game I dropped. Was going to be a zelda game where you control 2 characters. Thinking of doing a 3d platformer instead now

Attached: environment test.png (1920x1080, 1.95M)

>Was going to be a zelda game where you control 2 characters.
please don't, I'm making that okay thank you

Attached: 2019-06-25_19-19-08.webm (498x494, 1.84M)

Does a game where you alternate between surfing and snowboarding by changing the season sound fun Yea Forums?

>you do know how to code, right?
No I don't, why would I?

I'm learning c-sharp and unity right now but how am I supposed to simultaneously learn art or pixel art there has to be an easier way

studying leetcode rn for next semester. bros how do you do it.

its been dead for half a year now. was also going to have a highschool setting. Only posting this stuff since I have a lot more concepts for it than the platformer im working on

Attached: map3.png (2520x1800, 1.14M)

Shit I recognise you from /agdg/ how's progress

Make a game where you are a pregnant woman, and then you use your baby as a weapon through the umbilical cord, like a grapling hook or a morning star a la CV etc.

Attached: D2We5BxWoAI6ZI3.jpg (680x680, 89K)

Attached: 1557717898906.jpg (500x387, 45K)

Gamedev is hard thing to do alone. Especially for retarded person like me. I really want to create storydriven game but i can't menage to take all my shitty notes into one decent plot. I have charecters, their backgrounds, world around them and no actual events for plot. Fuck me and fuck my life.

I code in C-uni exclusively

Attached: abdd4a6226465f0edaba1fdbb8dbb8de.jpg (850x1200, 904K)

I know this is pasta but there are some fucking retards who genuinely think like this. How to never produce anything 101.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Gabriel DropOut - 04 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_12.53_[2017.01.30_18.36.52].jpg (1920x1080, 174K)

Who is this daemon of the seed?

Coding isn't the problem, its the 3D modeling and animation.

I'm sitting in a discrete mathematics class right now and I really want to off myself.