I just played this level again, 23 years after the first time and... it made me feel that feeling again...

I just played this level again, 23 years after the first time and... it made me feel that feeling again. All of the flashy graphical bullshit in modern gaming, all of the gimmicks employed to try and hold our attention, all of the new genres springing up trying to fulfill that new itch...

Nothing compares to the way this made me feel. Being in an enclosed box room looking out into an infinitely cloudy sky, surrounded by fish in this massive, mysterious aquarium, while serene music plays as I guide Mario to drift through coins and just gaze into the infinite blue...

What was your one moment of feel in vidya, Yea Forums? No, doesn't have to be right in the feels or tfw. Any feel will do, so long as it genuinely, truly made you feel something you didn't expect a "children's toy".

Attached: SecretAquarium.png (640x448, 497K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vWG-BTc1few?t=43
youtube.com/watch?v=e5Tv3Q96jvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LV_tJ3hNTPE
youtube.com/watch?v=nfGw_tAsCi0
youtu.be/gKg3qUT4O6U?t=460
youtube.com/watch?v=mD4GbGmvNRc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I’ve hit a place where I literally don’t give one shit about graphics any more.

I should add that while it's simple and rudimentary by today's standards, I think that I was also blown away by just how enchanting this game was back when 3D graphics were new. The controls may be rough and may have been rough back then, but this level alone made me feel so comfy.

I agree that graphics shouldn't be the selling point of a quality game. It all comes down to the way it makes you feel, whether it's having fun or any other evoked response.

The boss rematches in Ganon's Tower The Wind Waker.
Something about the twisted, distorted versions of the boss themes and the washed out colors feels so dreamlike.
In the original version of the game, these rematches are just black and white, but in the HD version they're very faded versions of the actual colors.
When you enter the door, you don't see a cutscene of the boss appearing. The screen jiggles around, and the boss is just right there, waiting for you. When you beat it, the same thing happens. No death animation, just a jiggling screen and you're transported back to the hub room.
I feel like these boss fights are supposed to emulate what it would feel like if Link was dreaming them instead of actually fight.
When you dream, you don't see a crystal clear picture of the events that unfold. Everything is muddled and distorted. When you awake, you only have a vague and garbled memory of what happened.
This emulates that for me. These fights are like Link having to revisit his nightmares and face the things he fought before, only now his subconscious distorts the perception of them.

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 28K)

I got a similar feeling from these fights, a definitely surreal experience though not quite in the realm of nightmarish.

Controls aren’t rough at all in sm64, it plays better than any other 3D platformer since.

It’s only the camera that has aged poorly.

At the end of Earthbound, when Paula calls out your name that the game asked you for earlier I was filled with this sense of connection with the weird world I'd spent all those hours becoming a part of. Call me a faggot, but it was a really satisfying feeling, like I'd been a part of their journey all along.

Attached: EarthBound.jpg (1064x1486, 202K)

I can relate to that. The entire game was a real head trip for me.

No one else has any vidya feels to share?

When I'd revitalize the trees in Okami. Seeing the world spring to life and hearing that triumphant music made me feel very happy on the inside.

youtu.be/vWG-BTc1few?t=43

gothic 1 and 2 always got me so immersed into the game that when i stopped playing i still had the feeling i was in that world and needed a few seconds to get back

any game that can pull you in and completely immerse you like that is worthy of any praise it gets. I'll have to look into these games

both games are on gog, gothic 2 should do fine by itself but gothic 1 might need the player kit and system pack to work on 60 fps (without that it has like 25 fps (barely enough to play somewhat smoothly) the game is just old)

Attached: 300px-Oldcamp.jpg (300x225, 30K)

I get that feel with the water areas in sm64 but i also get that from the kitchen in the hotel in clock town from majoras mask. I could just sit there and listen to the soup on the stove cooking and the sound of the clock, the dead of night and its just you in a comfy quiet kitchen. It makes me appreciate the small things in life.

my nigga

stop getting nostalgia

shitty pasta

I agree with graphics being irrelevant, low settings or max settings really don't change anything to me as long the game hits at least stable 30 fps.
But dude that was one of the worst levels.

Nah man

Okami's second arc (the coastal area) remidned me of a dream I had once about the sea. It's the first time a game I've played has ever lined up with a idealised dream of a better world before.

Strange because there's lots of "pretty" games but occasionally something strikes you more than others. Something that I find new games do less of because you know I'm a nostalgic boomer twit.

Attached: dr-weird-photo-u1.jpg (650x650, 47K)

Flying around in secret of Mana when the flammie music changes and the sky turns orange. Amazing

Attached: pureland.gif (256x220, 18K)

Too many, which is why I still love video game and probably always will.
Sticking to Zelda, probably Majora’s Mask with the shrinking screen in synch with the bell before a new day begins.
>Yakuza 0
Chapter 6 from Kuze’s sewer fight through to the end with Nishiki willing to mercy kill Kiryu before he’s tormented beyond recognition by the Tojo Clan.
>Ghost Trick
Jowd’s painting reveal in his jail cell.
>999
“once a snake ensnares it’s prey, it never lets go” or “her smile was wrong, like a mask made of skin”
>VLR
When I thought the exact line of “what the hell, you chose betray last time” as Sigma’s same thoughts scrolled on screen.
>Metroid Fusion
The SA-X close up at the beginning. Best moment of any demo kiosk I played at and got me into the series.
>Hollow Knight
City of Tears or when the mantis clan started bowing to me
>SMT IV:A
Instant killing the boss horde of Metatrons with a smirked, piercing Judgement Light
>MHGU
Unleashing a Greatsword Hunter Art right into Glavenus’s tail and both of us getting knocked back

there's a cave in wind waker where you step in and hear that deku tree music, and it's so sublime...you crawl through a glass dome to get into it and its so atmospheric.
another feel moment was one of freedom when in portal i "broke loose" of glados' instructions, towards the end part. i remember feeling like i broke the game in a good way, it was so liberating.

>Unleashing a Greatsword Hunter Art right into Glavenus's tail and both of us getting knocked back

I feel like this image perfectly captures that moment.

Attached: 1532827263707[1].jpg (195x259, 16K)

The Chuchu cave on Pawprint Isle? With all the jelly fuckers?

I can hear this image and i love it, thank you user

Based wholesome nostalgia poster.

I have a bunch. Most recently I replayed the original Starcraft campaigns and got that fuzzy feeling, the whole aesthetic of the game is just pitch perfect for me. Every sound effect and line of dialogue and that amazing OST, gets me every single time. Another one is probably the opening to the original Quake, with that badass NIN track and gibbing zombies and dodging chainsaws, blew my fucking mind back in the day and still gets me hyped

Playing the Crystal Island's level of Spyro Year of the Dragon was an unforgettable experience for young me. I feel like it's one of the most underrated levels in the series because it has everything that you could ask for to make it stand out. Beautiful nighttime imagery, cool enemies, and Jesus Christ the music. The level music encapsulates so many different feelings from the ominous and eerie night, to that adventurous feel of exploring a crystal wilderness, to utter peace and freedom as you fly throughout the level in order to chase down a thief as well as the knowledge that your adventure is almost over. It's one thing to feel this way as a kid but it's another when you go back to these games and still feel that childlike wonder. I truly feel sorry for people who scoff at the notion of video games, especially old ones, having soul.

Attached: tumblr_pduhndQTrS1vfp8tko1_1280.png (1280x720, 405K)

Listening to the Paper Mario intro theme song always makes me feel ready to go on an adventure, no matter how many years it's been or how many times I've played it.

youtube.com/watch?v=e5Tv3Q96jvQ

Just makes me feel like an excited kid again.

Kind of agree, it certainly doesn't help that the most high end games today are stuff that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

The falling jingle when mario is defeated by bowser for the first time and transitions to the chapter theme is kino.

youtube.com/watch?v=LV_tJ3hNTPE

Star Fox Adventures, everything about the intro with the fake dino language and falling rain, and then that amazing tribal music that plays in the main city. Even those weird long caves which adult me knows was just padding to load the next area but as a kid it gave it all a sense of being huge and mysterious. Underrated as fuck zelda clone

youtube.com/watch?v=nfGw_tAsCi0

Attached: Just Nick.png (500x450, 344K)

>bullshit in modern gaming
stopped reading there
take off your fucking nostalgia goggles or understand how nostalgia works you fucking faggot

The Plateau in Breath of the Wild and figuring out the game and what I was going into
It felt magical, like I was a child playing his first video game again, I think that Breath of the Wild would be my favorite of all time if it had still felt like that

Playing through Glover on a half tab of acid made me remember that in those days the experience was about exploring a 3D space. It wasn't about the GAME so much as hanging out in a different world. We played them differently than we did SNES games. That's why cartridges were swapped so often on N64. Or rather, they were swapped out often for a different reason. Whereas in SNES and Genesis it was to jump from arcade to arcade game, on 64 it was to jump from world to world. Exploring and walking around was enough. That's why collecathons caught on. Designers forgot that. They started to design worlds in new ways. They pulled the camera back. Made it less intimate. Never kept that 90s excitement alive. They went a different direction and it was probably for the best, but the fact remains that the feeling only lives on in the 5th generation. You can't experience it elsewhere, and only those who were there truly know what it was like.

Attached: hasbro.gif (400x391, 2.45M)

No one wants you here. Go post stale griping about the absolute state of Yea Forums somewhere else.

>OLD THING GOOD
>NEW THING BAD

Attached: 5df.jpg (250x229, 15K)

this is true passion user. this is true video games. this is what zoomers don't understand. this is what they are trying to replace in particular in game as a service games. this is what we must preserve.

zoomer

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

Did you even read the OP?

>stopped reading there
No, clearly you did not read the OP. If you didn't finish reading it, go be a faggot somewhere else.

The Atlantis world in Glover fills me with a strange sense of melancholy and I can't explain why.

Nah i remember replaying tons of levels on yohis island just to fuck around and see what all i could do with the items you got from that one match the cards mini game. Wasnt just a 3d thing

BRUH

collecting all the powerups in Yoshi's Island and then going ham with them was my jam

Fuck nintendo for ruining this franchise, those first 10 seconds have more soul in them than all of sticker star combined.

with you on the SA-X zoom. sent chills down my spine and made me realize that there was finally something as dangerous as Samus in the universe, and it was after me

Tales of Phantasia's ending. That shit hit me really hard back then because I played it when I was a kid. All my excitement about fighting the final boss and all his forms cooled down when I learnt that he was just a guy trying to save his world.

It was one of those rare games that was just fun to do stupid shit in

I haven't played many Tales games, but I got a similar feel to the main antagonist of Tales of Symphonia. Tugged my heart strings, and I think the OVA they did for it captured the mood of that final confrontation even better.

youtu.be/gKg3qUT4O6U?t=460

Looking at shitty Paper Mario game mockups makes me sad. This franchise could have been grand but Miyamoto couldn't keep his autsim under control and saw it as a threat to his pure series.

Replaying Klonoa lunatea's veil. It wasn't the best game ever but i really was invested in completing it when i was young. The ost was beautiful, just like i remember it.

tfw you will never get to see a computer spying on and webcamming Peach in the shower again

I've recently played Arx Fatalis for the first time and it was the only RPG I've played that moved me to keep a personal journal for. It was a great decision.

Here's what I had to say about the Temple of Akbaa.

>Incredible atmosphere. I cannot progress faster than a crawl because of how upset I was. Even the ambient sounds are gory, if it is possible for sound to be such a thing. The visuals - ancient stone, runes of pure evil, bodies and blood and bone used as decoration - convey such a strong sense of wrongness. It's like you've truly stepped into Hell on earth, hidden just beneath the feet the common man this entire time. I should not be here. That is what I am being told through all of my senses.
>The resident cultists are convincingly deranged, and obsessed with death. They revel in it, even. They sleep next to shelves occupied by bloody body bodies wrapped up in seeping rags. A too vast amount are the size of children. Bottles of collected blood sit next to their loaves of bread. Okay, that's more humourous than anything, but the unfortunate thing is I completely believe it. Do they actually drink it? I will never be sure.
>What an excellent puzzle, although I have to say, I sincerely regret that I'm actually making progress and having to stay here any longer. It's almost worse when everybody is dead. This is the last place I want to be alone. I feel like I could be swarmed by insects and eaten alive at any second.

upon revisiting

>I really, really hate the Temple. It makes me extremely uncomfortable the instant I load in. If Akbaa is here, then, this is probably going to be my most unpleasant encounter yet, even if I am wearing the magic helm of the old righteous king, and a 5 foot meteor blade. Fuck, this is so repulsive.

>inb4 not your literal blog
op asked

This reads like the final entries before someone gets devoured by insects.

feels

Fortunately no, instead I was sealed in a lich's tomb after opening his trapped treasure chest. The lich was then arisen and instantly succed me dry with a lifedrain aura.
I never figured out a way to beat him so I just used telekinesis to fish out his loot through a wall from the outside of the tomb
Anyway AF is a good game and anons should play it.

You're spot on my man.

Majora's Mask (specially N64) is full of those feelings.

I can agree with everythint writen here.

Attached: 1558318776979.jpg (479x483, 37K)

People have posted great ones so far which I can relate to, so I'll leave this here. The strange sense of wonder, the music...

Attached: 51BCXWV60TL._SX466_.jpg (466x318, 38K)

Starcraft OST is god tier
youtube.com/watch?v=mD4GbGmvNRc

Same for me, actually. Whenever I remember games from the N64 era, this music plays in my head.

One man was able to tell this story, one man.

Attached: LISA.jpg (1280x720, 333K)

Feels fucking horrendous man.
Stickershit was the biggest insult I've ever played.
Didn't even bother with Colour Splash.
Even Paper Jam sucked.

Attached: Sailor Moon Cry.png (640x480, 363K)

I want to talk about the first Metal Gear Solid. To be very honest, I think most people forgot why they first loved this game or the series, but it's this kind of "realness" to it in the game's atmosphere and themes that blew me away. In particular, that one scene where Snake and Meryl are talking in the bathroom and he's explaining what it means to be a soldier - it's complicated, but that whole idea felt so adult to me, and true. I think this is why people don't really care about Peace Walker and onwards, they forget the point is to make connections to the real world and the real struggles of conflict, because otherwise there's no real impact to it. Of course it's fine to just be a game, but for Metal Gear it's a step down.

the secret aquarium always made me feel something.

Yeah me too, anything after PS3 level has looked amazing to me.

THE DROWNHOUSE

Finally gonna get the MGS legacy collection so i might finally understand what the fuck happened in 4

Being on the very top of the information center in Lego Island, looking out at the calm blue sky, the wide expanse of water, the serene guitar music playing in the background. I can't quite explain what it makes me feel, but it's like this serenity, this perfectness, but also this feeling of newness, still, like I'm above the clouds looking at an expanse of early 3D, and there are still new horizons

Attached: floor3nos.gif (400x299, 32K)

Telltale's The Walking Dead (every season except the last and newest) gave me that feeling of being a kid again where'd i'd get so excited and isolate myself in my room until i'd finish a game that i loved so much and find out what happens and feel like i experienced something so groundbreaking and engaging while feeling goosebumps 'round ever corner.

Say what you will about Telltale now, or what's left of it now, but The Walking Dead was a beautiful series.

Attached: lee.jpg (176x225, 8K)

I forgot, probably the most interesting feels I've ever had from games are from really early Japanese flash games, like there was one designed around Hello Kitty, and another was a 2D platformer where you also played a cat in a Japanese house. I should ask if that flash game archive might have it sometime because those games were so neat.

I still haven't played 4, honestly. I wanted it when it came out, but I couldn't afford it, and now the idea is on indefinite hiatus unless it gets a port.

Brainlet like me enjoyed it, my favourite movie to play

Paper Mario is pure magic

Attached: E5329DF2-BB71-4C20-B936-0C33E1CFDB4F.png (592x400, 382K)

The sewer sublevel in Pikmin 2. It was so unexpected.

For me it was getting out of the opening tutorial of Twilight Princess and being able to explore the world. I'd never played a Zelda game before and the combination of the art style, plot, and freedom to go on an adventure really had an impact on 13 year old me. I've played most of the other Zelda games since and I recognize some of them are simply better games, but none of them have ever given me that magic feeling like Twilight Princess did the first time.

Attached: hyrulefield.jpg (520x383, 76K)

I felt that way with Twilight Princess in pre-release shit. The negative reception was the first time I ever felt betrayed by a game I felt was going to be perfect.

I still think it's a good game though. Faron woods and the final dungeon look amazing.