The Sinking City

why are devs killing their games by making them epic exclusive?

Attached: ss-1561479860523_1280w.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8IWQk8zmpOs
steamdb.info/app/241260/graphs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

From what I heard the're an indie dev, so they took the Epic store deal to insure they would have the money for another game, as opposed to taking the risk of it not selling well on steam.

Because epic pays them literal millions for exclusivity

>the fedora is his mind which is also an island
fucking kino!!

Easy to pirate

>From what I heard the're an indie dev
Frogwares isn't owned by anyone, but that doesn't mean the games they make are always indie. Sinking City is published by Big Ben Interactive.

How did the game turn out, anyway? I don't mind how janky it looked, and I love their Sherlock games.

Because Epic has enough fortnite money to cover for the lifetime sales of some nobody's game and then some.

>Epic gives them money
>Epic steals less money from every purchase

And yet the list price for almost every game on epic store is inflated 5-10 dollars

epic gives them more money to lock it to their barely functioning web page they call a store.

Meh. Forget the Epic deal.

The game is jank as fuck.

I'll buy 30k copies if you put this on my store exclusively

Imagine making games for the store owners instead of players.

Dunno first hand, but reviews are mixed, some say it's great, while others say it's above average. It mostly has problems with the city not having enough for you to do in it, other than that, the story is considered good, and the gunplay/detective gameplay fine as well, nice fear mechanic where abusing your ability to see visions from the past (to solve cases) can sause your sanity meter to rise, as well as fighting enemies as well. You can also remove his backpack and change outfits to a plauge doctor, so I'm buying it purely for some plauge doctor monster killing curing horror fun.

If your game isn't guaranteed to sell what epic is offering for exclusivity, it would be bad business not to go to Epic.

That's how that works. The problem is that Epic was so heavy handed in this approach that bro dudes that work at my warehouses are literally getting bad vibes, and the only way this approach was going to work is by marketing to people who didn't give enough of a fuck about it anyways.

It's an unfinished buggy mess. It's not even Elex level of janky.

You walk down the street and stumble upon an NPC spawn-point as you watch a bunch of them all rush like a mob to get to their designated routines. You're teleporting between instances because they didn't bother animating shit; for example, the boat is the most important mode of transport, yet they didn't bother animating a mount/dismount sequence for the boat so you just phase like in the old Battlefield games. They've used different actors for dialog and stock greetings so NPCs ended up with 2 different voices. The shooting is unforgivably bad, you'd think they bought a stock module from the store and didn't even tweak it for 5 minutes. The audio is fucking fucked and inconsistent in quality. I could go on and on.

TL;DR thank god for the fortnite kiddies who'll playtest that shit so I can pirate the complete edition next year

It's basically another Vampyr.

>How did the game turn out, anyway?
Reviews range from 3/10 to 9/10. So incredibly divisive but highly praised for what it does well.
>why are devs killing their games by making them epic exclusive?
You've got it backwards. Epic are essentially guaranteeing the studio's survival. Epic want exclusive games. The studio wants to keep the lights on. This works out for both of them. The vocal minority of EGS haters is completely outweighed by the chunk of cash Epic are paying for exclusivity, plus the higher cut of sales. If you're a small indie game from a developer lucky to sell 100k on Steam, Epic's offer is hugely appealing. Epic were also giving away free copies of Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter to people who pre-ordered The Sinking City.

Thanks to Epic, regardless of how the game sells, the studio is probably safe. And that matters way more than pandering to people who weren't going to buy their game anyway.

To make profits.

Ehh, i'm sick of triple A, so i'll give it a try. This Vampyr game also looks interesting, maybe i'll get that one as well.

>It's basically another Vampyr.
Why do people keep comparing the game to Vampyr when this is the studio behind Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments and Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter? The core game detective mechanics in The Sinking City come straight from their Sherlock Holmes games.

This is the studio that turned teleporting NPCs into a meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=8IWQk8zmpOs

>Why do people keep comparing the game to Vampyr
Gee, maybe if YOU were sherlock, you might be able to figure that one out.

so, they take less from Devs but charge customers the difference? fuck jews

>You walk down the street and stumble upon an NPC spawn-point as you watch a bunch of them all rush like a mob to get to their designated routines.
That seems like the kind of thing a patch or two will iron out.
>You're teleporting between instances because they didn't bother animating shit; for example, the boat is the most important mode of transport, yet they didn't bother animating a mount/dismount sequence for the boat so you just phase like in the old Battlefield games.
To be fair, that kind of animation can become extremely tedious when you have to get in and out of the boat frequently.
>They've used different actors for dialog and stock greetings so NPCs ended up with 2 different voices.
That sounds like a problem. Their older games have absolutely top notch voice acting. Hopefully they go back and iron out the voice acting issues.

>And yet the list price for almost every game on epic store is inflated 5-10 dollars
No it isn't.

Yeah, it's pretty much first year economics, except retards think the chinks gave their best interests at heart for some reason. To add insult to injury, when you call them out and mention another service like GOG or the myriad of other stores, they go completely radio silent, it's very clear they have no argument and want to keep the discussion framed around STEAM VS EPIC

Stop spreading misinformation fuckface.
First and foremost Sinking City might be trash but it has no gender identity politics like Vampyr did.
Vampyr's combat has more to do with Bloodborne, TSC is turd person shooter.
One of them is a bisexual vampire RPG made by the leftist french faggots DONTNOD Entertainment, pioneers in the Σοyboy dialog simulator movie games.
The other is a Lovecraftian adventure detective game with action and RPG elements, made by some slav fucks whose repertoire is basically rehashing the same game.

Get your shit straight.

Attached: fkniggers.jpg (373x208, 49K)

Wouldn't recommend Vampyr honestly. Looks cool, is not actually cool once you play it. Can't speak for how Vampyr relates to Sinking City. But figured I could maybe dissuade someone from buying a bad game.

Please go outside.

why are you incels pretending to care about these shut-in player games?

Frogwares didn't make the decision, Deep Silver did - and they always fuck over the dev studios by going Epic.

The game itself is really good but the console ports are fucked, which is why the reviews are mixed (that and epic review bombing)

Attached: 97b1551e73ab254f620d8463df880740.gif (560x560, 770K)

>The game itself is really good
It's okay. Fine story, jank everything else.

Inexcusable, considering people have blowtorched effigies of games for far less.
>nothing a patch or two won't fix
IT'S A FUCKING FULL PRICED SINGLE-PLAYER GAME OFFICIALLY RELEASED YOU FUCKING TOSSER

Attached: 1523480612630.jpg (393x354, 32K)

Shut the fuck up faggot, nobody cares about your worthless french game. Keep your buyer's remorse to yourself and stop watching mass misinformation media because they're rubbing off on the way you think.

Attached: 1324235345667.jpg (184x184, 13K)

I've never played any of the games mentioned in this thread. I just want you to go outside for your own good. We care about you, user.

Yeah after reading reviews and watching a bit of gameplay I think this is going to be a "wait for sale" kind of deal. Definitely not worth the full price.

>half-assed lovecraftian kickstarter game (or maybe bioshock i dunno)
what a shock it was bad

The irony is palpable.

Attached: dilate.png (225x225, 2K)

NOOOOOO DEVS SHOULD TAKE LESS SO THAT GABE GET'S A BIGGER CUT! THIS ISN'T FAIR!

When will we get an actual good Lovecraft game?

How many fucking years has it been since the Penumbra series?

We got them with Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice.

No I'd rather sell 1k copies on steam and be forgotten under a pile of other games.

If you don't want to "be forgotten under a pile of other games", don't make overpriced shovelware ;)

Or take free money from tim sweeney and dab on steamniggers

>killing
Are you fucking serious? This is a god-send for these types of studios. The get guaranteed money that they wouldn't have if they were on steam. You're delusional if you think this game would have sold well if it was on steam.

Everyone loves to talk about how Sherlock Holmes was the best detective game they ever played, but it sold less than 200k on Steam. steamdb.info/app/241260/graphs/ I bet the money Epic have given them more than exceeds 200k copies. People take these Epic deals because they make insane financial sense. Epic don't even demand permanent exclusivity. It's timed exclusivity, and thus a win for literally everyone.

>Everyone loves to talk about how Sherlock Holmes was the best detective game they ever played
They do? Crime and Punishments was easy as shit.

How long do you guys expect this game to be? I'm currently flooded with new releases this year.

>Crime and Punishments was easy as shit.
So? Blade Runner was also easy as shit. Being a detective isn't about arbitrarily difficult puzzles. It's about making the right call based on the evidence before you.

Oh wait. It's already out. Anyone played it and know the length?

>kickstarter
What Kickstarter? They started the project after they got booted off the original project, Call of Cthulhu and thank fuck, because I’m pretty sure they were mandated to not have combat in that game.

It's out on Thursday.
Some influencer-types got free copies. I assume the others are vendors breaking street date.
From the footage I saw, it looks okay and comparable, at least in terms of quality, to Vampyr. I'll pirate it.

Torrents and others are already up. Guess it got leaked.

OH BABY
been looking for something to play
epic can piss up a rope

It’s supposed to be out today, at least for leafpeople.
I checked my local EB games but they only had two preordered copies. This is literally the first time where preordering actually does it what it’s supposed to.

Any reviews about this game, Yea Forums. Lovecraft theme makes me interested.

>story
Pretty good
>gameplay/investigation/adventure
Bretty good
>gameplay/shooting
Jank
>atmosphere
Good
>voice and sounds
Top tier
>bugs
Lots, it needs a patch or two
Buy it if you’re into Lovecraft/Sherlock Holmes and if you don’t like games that force you to look away from the monster.

Attached: A43A7E30-070C-4C1D-B9D8-C48125339E1B.jpg (966x1300, 493K)

What's the EXP is used for?

Looks like there's a skill tree of some kind. Far Cry-style, maybe?

Just pirate it, Epic bought your copy anyway.

I enjoyed Vampyr quite a lot. I'd say it's definitely worth picking if you like vampire stories and it's on sale.

I don't remember any gender identity politics in Vampyr.

And it's alright out for pirate so you get to play it sooner as a benefit.

>To be fair, that kind of animation can become extremely tedious when you have to get in and out of the boat frequently.
If you're trying to have this deep n dark n realistic game, you have your dude climb into a boat.
Wind Waker does it, GTA does it for every car you get into. Teleporting is lazy

Thanks.
I'll try to pirate it.

It came out?

And then there is this question. For how long will they do this? Even Sweeney said they can't hold on to the model they currently have in the long run.

So this is gonna be garbage just like the new Call of Cthulhu?

the voice acting is decent and the detective work is interesting. teleporting NPCs kinda takes off some of the otherwise nice atmosphere and the combat is on a new level of jank

>Vampyr's combat has more to do with Bloodborne
Vampyr's combat is jank as all fuck.

Just pirate it you fag

>Vampyr's combat has more to do with Bloodborne
Every day I think Yea Forums can't post something more retarded than the previous day and every day I get proven wrong