Starbound

What went wrong with this game?

Attached: 1547446277478.png (640x640, 97K)

chucklefish happened

It wasn't Sci-fi Terraria

too much customization, not enough gameplay
and funnily enough, even though it's still got a big modding community, nobody has made combat interesting yet
it's all about grinding fests like frackin universe and furry species

They scrapped all the fun gameplay for focus on an "epic" (read: shitty) story.

Who made that dogshit story, read it aloud and thought it was something even remotely decent to put in?

has nobody even tried to mod a better story?
it's 100% text after all, so it's not like you'd need VAs and shit

Not really but I did think of a much better story without retarded le ancient evil awakens involving war with Humans and Apex which was ignited through a false flag naval incident and your ship jumped into a vicious space battle between both sides and gets damaged in the crossfire.

Why are furniggers attatched to this game of all things?

>let's them play as a bunch of anthroid fishes, birds, apes and plants
>a lot of customization and a lot of roleplay tools, such as emotes and housing
>easy modding that lets them add all the sparkledog species they could ever want
idk, you tell me

Tried to be some sort of awful offspring of Terraria and No Man's Sky but they forgot to add actual gameplay.

Birds are furfag but Ape men existed long before furniggers were ever concieved, fish I get more Tau vibe which is more alien than furnigger and plant is just wrong.

>Birds are furfag but Ape men existed long before furniggers were ever concieved
and?
>fish I get more Tau vibe which is more alien
humanoid birds are just as alien
>plant is just wrong
okay but what's your point?

doesn't look like it stopped them from fetishizing them

Attached: 1489469954069.png (601x848, 359K)

it's just not fun

I meant your wrong lumping them with furfags.

Attached: 1559096759684m.jpg (753x1024, 97K)

Cuck made his girlfriend part of the team. She made the game more faggy less "scawy"

No he's not. You're the same. Now go shit up a Halo thread.

Nah your wrong, and why bring Halo of all things into this?

Attached: 1552103172903.png (800x1100, 393K)

you're into creepy drawings of cartoony anthros, there's really no meaningful distinction. I don't know why but I get a weird pedo vibe from you people, it might be just conflating different bizarre sexual perversions that lonely losers take on as identities.

Details?

I like to collect musical instruments in starbound

That's a pretty broad and baseless accusation because furniggers actually wear their perversions as an identity and even create autistic mannerisms when interacting with others compared to someone who just wants to fuck cute plant girls.

lol no
do you also believe scalies aren't furfags or something?

>every single action like eating or using something cuts off the song and you have to start over again and again
it's like they didn't even try their fucking game

Plants aren't furfag though. Stop trying to lump the two together you nigger.

>says the guy currently wearing his perversion as an identity and getting offended when everyone in the thread thinks he's a degenerate

>uhhhh ponies aren't furry because they have coats, not fur!!
absolute denial
the sooner you accept your degeneracy, the better you'll feel about yourself user

>greentext entire poat
Ahh, I see your retarded out of place newfag
It's apples and oranges though.

im sorry i dont know why i'm so mean i just fking hate you people

Such a shame since I really loved the graphics

and turns out both apples and oranges are fruits
I don't care if you're into foxes or sharks or wolves or plants, same shit to me

the very little lore that is left in the game and the graphics are the best (and maybe only good) parts yeah

now if only said lore had an important place in the story and the combat and exploration weren't still in alpha

I love when kids who have been here 2 months make up secret Yea Forums rules on the spot to seem like they belong here

Then you're just retarded because they're obviously not the same.

Attached: 1552189316150.gif (171x172, 962K)

its like they took inspiration from terraria but not anything what made terraria great

How would you even go about fixing the combat?

>It tried to be better than terraria but once you reach the 'end' there's not really a hardmode.
>Modding is constantly broken by hotfixes and the best mods are abandoned and or not updated.
>replayability is minimal and devs aren't adding much in the way of content.
>Devs are autistic ADD kids which is why they left relogic and why they pretty much dropped their own game out of boredom.
>Game is utterly broken without quality of life mods.

Vs terraria:
>Mods not required for fun
>Features and quality of life improvements every update
>Long time apart on updates but not too long
>game ending just puts game into 'hardmode'
>devs said hardmode was IT and there would be no more.
>Devs added plantera
>devs just keep adding more stuff.
>just when we thought the moon-lord was it. They introduce journeys end.
>Introduce two world types for a minimum of at least 2 unique playthroughs.
>Have expert mode which literally gives you unique loot for more challenge.
>Has the best damn lighting system ever.

Nothing. It's perfectly fine for basically being Sci-Fi Terraria.

I don't think combat is the issue, its the lack of variety in enemies
>dude with gun/sword shield
>flying mammal that flys/shoots at you
>land mammal that runs/spits at you
and thats it

Have you seen the fursecution or animal control threads? Furries literally have child grooming circles at cons.

retard

>STOP BEING NON-CRITICAL OF THINGS I DON'T LIKE
Grow up, child.

i played terraria for at least a few weeks and didnt regret my purchase. i played starbound for about 30 minutes and never touched it again

Make it more focused on ranged weapons with two damage output type being kinetic projectile or energy based. And have plethora of unique weapons with added flavor text like Borderlands with randomly generated normal weapons.

double retard, your "non-criticism" is not what makes you a retard

What happened between beta and official release? The game changed so drastically

>dumbasses unironically think Floran is furnigger
Lmao

Attached: 1552103988926m.jpg (982x1024, 88K)

but that's the thing too, if they added more interesting mobs and an AI that isn't completely braindead, then the rest of the system would fall flat because of how basic it is, it would render the game simply frustrating

>energy system is garbage and only somewhat serves as a shitty ammo system for weapons
>techs are uninspired and boring, and most are simply unuseable in combat as well
>only a handful of weapon types, and the more interesting weapon types are 'uniques' and thus hard to find and/or quickly become garbage due to scaling
>attack types consists of 'normal' and a special move for two handed weapons
>no melee aiming, need a fucking mod(????)
>'magic' system is uninteresting as well, only a handful of interesting effects
>you have so much mobility you can easily run away and easily kite anything, even more so if using ranged weaponry

I hate that they removed the bubble dash thing, it made movement fast and fun

>I'm so deep. You totally don't even understand what I'm saying to you.

The project was spearheaded by the guy who worked alongside the guy who made Terraria. Clearly he thought he could do a better job of the same type of game, but he ultimately failed.

The devs tried to separate their game from Terraria as much as possible but every deviation from the formula Chucklefish tried to improve or change just made the game worse. I feel like a dick saying it, but it really is a testament to how great and balanced a game Terraria was and currently is, that trying to stray from what made it so good caused another game to fail horrendously.

Is Star Citizen finished yet?

LOL

Too much power concentrated in the ship/not enough reason to spend large amounts of time developing planets.
Settlements should've been way more than a glorified landlord simulator and should've actually gated progression

get back to me in 2040, if we're alive still

>Make tons of promises
>Survival game with great graphics, a huge universe, ridiculous amounts of content
>everything is randomly generated
>I have so so much hope for the game after Terraria "ended"
>Game finally comes out
>It's subpar
This game was No Man's Sky but 2D. At least I saw it coming and didn't waste 60 dollars on No Man's Sky, but Starbound hurts more.

Same problem No Man's Sky had on launch, having billions of unique worlds using procedural generation doesn't make your game vast and deep. It just means you have billions of planets with the same shit features but in different colours.

>What went wrong
Chucklefuck

Especially since No Man's Sky is having a redemption arc. Something this game will likely never have.

Ok Tiy

Avail players are retarded

>release a new patch after literal years
>it just makes those randomized 'go hunt this thing' npc quests into a slightly more substantial sidequest and adds monster recolors
>'dude, vaporwave aesthetic but done poorly lmao'
Fucking chucklefuck.

Alpha and beta have more content than full release

I bought the game a while ago but haven't gotten very far in it. So far the only problems I've noticed were that you can break a hole in the wall of a cave so you can see the sky behind it, the enemies have shitty pathfinding, and that there's a lack of food available in the early game once you use up the ones that it gives you (might just be a git gud thing). Other than that I'm having fun with it.

However most of the critiques I've read were of Chucklefish removing content from the Beta which I haven't played for very long, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

No Man's Sky slowly got better with each update. This game however did not.

Entirely CPU based so it lags on every system.
Vanilla game has the lamest questline ever and turned the potentially diverse planet survival into a straight line.
Combat manages to feel very clunky, something about the way the hitboxes and attacks play out. Enemies are cartoony and mostly just walk at you. Higher tiered enemies amount to bullet sponges instead of the extremely fast and threatening creatures of Terraria.
Code base is divided into C++, Lua, and JSON in a way that means modders can create guns and furries but have an extremely hard time making core changes.
Cell generation means that everything loads segmented which can screw with weather, builds, and planet generation. Overly instanced dungeons and mini-dungeons break up the sandbox and make the game feel more like an MMO.
Lots of systems that could have gone somewhere (mechas, in-game games, instruments) are half-assed to the degree that they're detrimental. No one likes you playing an instrument next to them.
t. someone with 700 hours Starbound and 500 hours Terraria.

make a bow, killing enemies with it makes them drop food

The game is major ass

damn i really wish starbound wasn't dogshit in every way. the modding for it can be a lot better than terraria, but the core of the game is just too bad

Do hunting spears work too? Most of them just dropped leather for me.

Why the fuck is the only way of aquiring meat with a bow?

Floran were the only good thing to come out of this terrible game.

Attached: 1559097318305m.jpg (1024x973, 89K)

>generic tacked on story
>races add nothing gameplay wise and are just a skin
>progression is just "farm thing so you can progress to farming better thing"
>no content
>devs are scummy cunts and pretend to add bounties even tho they were already in the game
>hunger system is pointless and adds nothing to the game
>fuckton of planets with no content

people saying flowers aren't furries are the same type of people that say monster girls aren't furries

Why are Floran so darn cute?

Attached: 1552102642306.jpg (714x1000, 311K)

They're aliens you turbo gay.

Attached: 1552107843606.png (600x1328, 410K)

i prefer the fish d e s u

Fish are food though.

Attached: 1558302333028.png (965x1001, 391K)

i don't like tiddies

Same, I felt guilty getting my refund because of how much I anticipated the game and how hard they worked on it, but sometimes reality and truth hurts.

Attached: 1532841114338.jpg (400x400, 31K)

latefag who bought the game last year well after official release, what's some of the cool shit I missed that was in alpha/beta?

Attached: 1485977222628.jpg (1492x315, 58K)

Fag.

Trying to hamfist a leading story narrative with dialogue and shit focused around the concept of AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS.
Terraria barely has any story and it's five times as fun.

The main thing that made me drop Starbound was that fucking derivative drivel of a story. What made it worse was reading up on what the story originally could have been.

Attached: 1474182402625.gif (207x334, 713K)

All No Man's Sky needs is good gameplay and it'll actually be worth diving into all that extra content.

>mine thing so you can go to next planet
>mine more thing so you can go to next planet

>release early access game with some fun stuff in it
>remove literally all of the fun stuff besides instruments and then fill it in with generic trash and cyclical uninspired "story"

Attached: 1532896682111.jpg (1440x1472, 468K)

Yeah. Which considering they're willing to add all that extra content, I don't doubt they'll try and spice it up in a future update.

>literally just green humans with leaves instead of hair
fucking furries in denial...

With this logic I guess Twi-leks and Asari are furries too, damn your too smart for this board user.

Attached: 1552104686168.png (932x695, 320K)

>it's not shit it's actually diarrhea it's TOTALLY different
stop wanting to stick your dick in anything that isn't human you degenerate

Lmao okay tasteless nigger.

Attached: 1552957676467.jpg (618x800, 92K)