This is the stupidest fucking thing in video games

This is the stupidest fucking thing in video games.

Attached: Screenshot_20190625-234159.png (1642x2048, 928K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dncRHH9f6MI
youtube.com/watch?v=OxpRmBCOobY
youtu.be/dncRHH9f6MI
youtube.com/watch?v=-WvD1K2JF2I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_fence
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This shit is what ruined Halo's art design.

i see nothing wrong with this

So they made the Borg cube?

>Left = SOUL
>Right = SOULLESS

Yeah you say it's stupid but then if there aren't enough of them you say "damn these textures bad" or "what is this a ps2 game"

>healthy cube
>diseased cube

I think it's pretty nice when used well, it can give big things a much better sense of scale.

>reddit thread
check this 6

Attached: 1559021149955.jpg (750x750, 74K)

Look at all the greebling the art team put on this ship, it's so unrealistic. It should just be smooth and flat!

Attached: HMS_Mars_LOC_ggbain_16923.jpg (3300x2197, 1.93M)

this

greeble these nuts you gaylord

Attached: 20190528090219_1.jpg (1920x1080, 340K)

rule of cool always applies

bullshit

Everything on that ship is functional. It's not just more shit for the sake of "detail".

gotem

greeble these nuts is pretty funny. Made me chuckle.

don't you mean check this two

+1 xd

Only underage or Redditors say PS2 graphics as an insult. Most people would love if everything stayed at that level of graphics, since more time/money could be focused on everything that's actually important

You fundamentally don't understand what greebling is then.

If you out that ship into the hands of a hack artist the entire bottom would have a fuckload of geometric shapes and every flat surface would contain a bunch of random meshes. There wouldn't be a flat surface bigger than 2 feet.

i just googled it
it's other name is nurnie

Attached: starwarsgreeble.jpg (1920x1080, 330K)

STAAAAAAAR
WAAAAAAARS!!!

>When a game from 2001 still looks great even today
Factor 5 were wizards

Attached: 60601847-D5C8-4406-896F-13F3DDC5224A.png (480x256, 202K)

I always wondered if Greeble was functional.

>"texture"

Attached: 1518988873271.jpg (366x380, 19K)

>No Star Wars game where you command an entire star destroyer or mon calamari cruiser
Fucking hurts man

>tfw you never see the entirety of this ship which is basically a giant hotel that moves
>it gets blown up easily and likely tens of thousands of people die
All those blocks, one different room. Imagine there even being shops and malls in there. Restaurants, community pools, man it probably had everything. Star Destroyers are amazing.

>it gets blown up easily and likely tens of thousands of people die
How the fuck does this happen

You're the stupidest fucking thing in video games, you'd cry like a bitch nigger if greeble hadn't been a staple of sci fi design for the last 50 years.

Fuck I wish I lived on a Star Destroyer instead of this stupid planet.

most people's a stretch. I agree but don't delude yourself into thinking that everyone else does as well. its just unhealthy.

Heres an actual fun fact:
Greeble is the name applied to placeholder text I.E Lorem Ipsum text you see in shit like Google Docs.

Couldn’t it have a less retarded name than “Greeble?”

What the hell would you call it then?

It's just something george lucas made up and it stuck. And it's pronounced gree-blee btw

>Hating on Greeble
You might be gay.

Attached: Homeworld.jpg (1600x900, 166K)

shiggy diggy doo

Is "Reddit" supposed to be an insult? Who would be insulted by that?

Are you insulted when called a "Reddit"? Lmao

No because that's literally what they fucking are.

>The Greebles refers to an invented category of novel objects used as stimuli in psychological studies of object and face recognition.

You're fucking with us. Pull the other one.

Attached: 1525849226219.jpg (800x450, 62K)

it means it's an actual discussion thread about games instead of ecelebs, smash rosters, or horny retards

AT-ST AT-ST AT-ST

Stupid fucking tranny gayboy kill yourself already

Something other than what sounds like a crummy alien creature
Remember “Darth Icky”
Eww

I've always wondered what this is

I love greeble :D

Do you know how bad I want a Star Wars mech game? Incredibly fucking badly

Attached: B7D615C7-4404-4010-9D3E-AD6FABFB1D01.gif (445x250, 1.17M)

what are some good super massive space ship designs Yea Forums?

Attached: 1531754098499.jpg (590x332, 201K)

I KNOW WHAT THAT IS! I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW IT!!!

I'd prefer a Mon Cal ship. Litterally entire decks that are basically water parks, not to mention in canon they were luxury cruise ships converted for warfare.

Fly me around the galaxy and don't bring me home.

The inspiration for the mouse cursor obviously

Attached: 751CE203-9E33-4035-B49B-50F4EF66049B.jpg (1200x1200, 283K)

Homeworld mothership.

>We're doing it live, boys!

Attached: reddit.gif (700x478, 535K)

This gets a pass because it fits in with gothic architecture and theme of the Imperials. Much of what they build favors form over function because the space magic just makes it work.

still too flat a design for the average AAA shooter

it still works too. the puppet combo games come to mind.

This works here though because it still follows the base design which is good. It's not stupidly over done.

...star wars empire at war?

6s are for fags

youtube.com/watch?v=dncRHH9f6MI

the new lego star wars game lets you control every ship in the lore, all the way up to the death star, and they're to scale. you can go inside as well. if it's big enough, you can also put smaller ships inside.

You've never heard the word Greeble before 20 minutes ago, and now you think the name is icky and want it changed. Sounds totally normal.

Well, it used to take effort. Now you just ram a ship 1/32 it's size and hit the boosters and push it into something big...

Or fly through the Bridge by accident. Either one works really... Thinking on it I can't really make an Old Wars vs Nu Wars argument here.

Thats literally where they were invented though...

Attached: 1558190005296.jpg (373x373, 20K)

>posting the censored version

I don't understand why everyone fucking wanks off star wars designs.
Storm trooper helmets look cool.
The best you can say about the rest of it is that it's visually consistent.

lurk moar

out
fucking
skilled

>driving the Death Star
is it just the one person? Or is it a team? I do wonder.

I don't need my vacation yet.

Attached: 1555122827556.gif (825x463, 1.33M)

It's a shortcut to get that astetic though. Would you have artists design each futuristic tool and instrument on the individual crafts? Do you have autism?

The use of this meme is always ironic on multiple levels.

I don't know yet because gameplay hasn't been public so far, but judging from the scale of the game, you can tell that they have a fucking huge budget. journos have been impressed and called it the sleeper hit of E3. I wasn't exaggerating about all the ships and going into scale interiors, a developer interview mentioned that you can for instance control a star destroyer, and it's made out of a ridiculous amount of lego bricks. everything was hand designed by their professional lego-building team or whatever, and some ships took a very long time. I'm definitely interested in how it works out.

Everything in the original star wars was made using a Mish mash of those model planes you used to make. They took them and just created whatever the fuck they could, but it gave star wars a very unique style that stood out. Nobody knows this so you'd think they were just being random but those are all pieces of a set.

>only just now learning that

>people don't know the horrors of the greeble
Did you know there's a Sinanju Stein somewhere beneath all of that?

Attached: Gunpla greeble.jpg (1024x1394, 217K)

The shields got knocked out or weakened temporarily in the OG.
Stop using ellipses in the middle of sentences... it makes you look like a teenager trying to look deep when in fact they're an insipid faggot...

No I really fucking wouldn't, dognuts. Its worthless by definition only used by hack artists, nobody but a hack or a retarded normalfag like yourself would defend it. Stupid prick.

>reposting a Tumblr repost of a Reddit post which is probably reposting some random blog

Attached: 1561523323783.jpg (900x563, 95K)

>one chain for anchor plus a bunch more for edge
>bunch of poles stuck out the bottom because the artist thought he was making a row boat
>ship is covered in holes, one wave and it sinks
>ladder leading into the ocean
>multiple masts for the sail but artist is an edgelord so you get a web of cables instead
>Two big smoke stacks because this is apparently a foundry
>lifeboats as far above the water as possible
>lmao two flags
>giant double barrelled cannon as if that wouldn't push the ship backwards through the water and throw aim off
>Background ship has three smoke stacks artist isn't even consistent
>even the speedboat has a smoke stack for no reason
This design was made by someone whose never seen a navl ship before.
Pic related is a ship made by a designer who isn't trying to hide a bad design behind infinite meaningless details.

Attached: 22965290304_4eeccac586_k.0.0.1449566151.0.jpg (1200x675, 92K)

I know what I hate, but unless there's a word I'm not going to be the first one to make it up, especially if I chose the word "greeble" which sounds like something out if adventure Time.

Attached: 1.jpg (500x500, 40K)

Okay retard
But you're still an absolute newfag to not know that term

>the new lego star wars game
The Skywalker Saga ?

Are you trying to be retarded on purpose while trying to be ironic.

This feels like a "bitching just to bitch" thing

yeah, it's not a typical lego game, it's open world, which is why what I said sounds strange.

Sounds like your kind of place.
>in b4 merely pretending

Greeble/greebling is a general sci-fi term? I always thought it was specific to the LEGO building community.

The fact that people are defending this shit shows /v) is filled with mouth breathing retards and if you think adding worthless shapes to an object you're another easily amused cretin that's needs to fuck off back to R*dit

Why don't you seethe harder whole the adults speak junior :).

I saw advanced footage at e3. Its basically a open world BOTW type platformer with a full roster of characters and drivable star cruisers. This might be the first Lego game I'll pick up since the PS2 era

Greeble is textures you stupid motherfucka

Attached: 1545468370706.png (375x439, 22K)

So, basically a SDF-1?

Attached: macross-sdf-1-hasegawa-14000-en-stock-D_NQ_NP_132315-MLA25207627660_122016-F.jpg (422x640, 78K)

One crazy guy is actually cataloguing where every piece on the millenium falcon comes from. That has to be so much work

>has never heard of the term "greeble" until recently
>uses Yea Forumserminology like "seethe"
>types one long run-on sentence full of errors
>claims to be an adult

Attached: 1560177407324.gif (512x512, 340K)

I honestly don’t understand how someone creates all these details. What is their mind like?

Do you not see all of that stupid 2-tone and custom panel lines all over the thing?

Yeah George lucas himself coined it

>look guys, I said it again!
Probably the worst way you could try to convince anyone your opinion has merit. Perhaps it is you that should go back.

>The fact that people are defending this shit shows /v) is filled with mouth breathing retards and if you think adding worthless shapes to an object you're another easily amused cretin that's needs to fuck off back to R*dit

Attached: 1505521667648.png (205x227, 103K)

This, if anything, it would be a tessellation, but that's still not a perfect word.

nut greeblers btfo

>Now you just ram a ship 1/32 it's size and hit the boosters and push it into something big
In space there's no friction and inertia is easily manipulated.

Imagine that texture on a pelican from halo or the Normandy from ME. It’s meant to make flat models appear detailed with parts

The main problem is over done geometry, way too busy. The texturing doesn't help either.

>In 3D computer graphics, greebles can be created by specific software in order to avoid the time-consuming process of manually creating large numbers of precise, custom geometry. This is often tedious, repetitive work, and may be best suited to automatic, software-based procedural generation, particularly if a great degree of control is unnecessary or the greebles will be small on screen. Most greeble-generating software work by subdividing the surface to be greebled into smaller regions, adding some detail to each new surface, and then recursively continuing this process on each new surface to some specified level of detail.
soulless

That's ironic since your meming is the exact same Pavlovian reaction.

there are definitely things in video games which are more stupid than greebling. you can probably think of a few if you try.

It's a tool like anything else. Overused or misused and it's shit. Used right, and you probably won't even notice its there.

Literally, not figuratively, factually, undeniably souless.
This is probably why I hate Sci-fi settings in games.

Attached: 1561419607512.jpg (2400x2000, 1.96M)

Source on that?
Designing a star destroyer that‘s to scale with actual minifigs is a task for a lifetime, not for one video game.

Attached: Good.gif (512x384, 2.76M)

So is the sword and shield tree greebled?

>"or the greebles will be small on screen"
>not future proofing your creation

Your post is souless. Like it was made by a bot

They fixed it in an update

Attached: DSDSADSA.jpg (219x165, 12K)

The developers did say that they made sure every ship in the game could be hypothetically built using real life LEGO pieces, and the ships are to scale with each other, but they never said anything about full scale interiors in every ship, that would just be fucking insane.

Wide-scale ship/station architecture is so criminally underrated.
>Cozy space life sim never

Attached: 1561436790674s.jpg (82x125, 2K)

>remastered

GROSS

You can buy a jpg of cozy space life for only seven monthly payments of $12,000, friend!

Attached: Chris Roberts.jpg (169x200, 7K)

>*hyperspace rams a y-wing into your star destroyer obliterating it and half the fleet nearby*
Thanks Disney!

>Greeble is sci-fi bullsh-

Attached: 1444939803897.jpg (1400x1171, 1M)

I don't give a shit about Star Wars, I think the new movies are embarrassing trash and the old ones are boring fantasy, but Star Wars has consistently had good designs.

PS2 era gave us games like MGS2, Shadow of the Colossus and Max Payne 2. Play those games on a modern system and you'll still be impressed, even moreso than if you played some new hyperrealistic muh graphix title.

>Would you have artists design each futuristic tool and instrument on the individual crafts?
Yes

Attached: 047.jpg (1280x1825, 433K)

I imagine they just designed a small star destroyer and made it bigger in game, the length of one that was to scale with minifigs would be somewhere above 4000 studs.

Why go for Greeble when Biometal aesthetics are so much better

Attached: 1444940546169.jpg (296x300, 35K)

I always hated this style of Tom and Jerry.

looks like metal poop

Attached: 1534439927625.png (307x300, 26K)

is this the elusive "pro gamer move"?

But that's not a texture. Those pieces are clearly extruded from the geometry.

It's good in some cases. In others, it's used poorly. I hate you mongoloids.

Makes you wonder how life creates this.

>TSF Forefront is vaporware
it hurts

Attached: HelplessRealAlbacoretuna.webm (1280x720, 2.76M)

Show us 4 examples of a good greeble then.

I'd imagine Star Trek Bridge Commander has a mod for that.

Halo 4 and 5 in a big fat nutshell

These are the same exact weapons

Attached: shotgun-comparison.jpg (1920x2160, 364K)

owned

wow that ground/ship looks greebled as fuck

>greeble
>reddit
Why are they so obsessed with Rick and Morty?

Have they even attempted to address that bullshit? It really seems like the rebels could have hyperspaces a U-Wing into the Death Star and been done with it.

IT BROKE NEW GROUND

>mute texture detail
>shove polygons everywhere
Yep, that's the nu-Halo art style.

>no one has considered designing weapons systems around the universally galaxy-wide used transportation system
its like they forgot most technological innovations come about through the desire to kill the other guy safer
and yet some people consider this sci-fi

Right now we are in an age where superfluous detail is in fashion. Unfortunately it is incredibly ugly and incredibly lazy when it comes to actual design philosophy.

>Max Payne on a console

Attached: 1537990909495.jpg (206x228, 25K)

The last Jedi wasn’t about thinking. It was about surprises. It’s the writing equivalent of the cardboard cutouts in spookys house of jumpscares. Yeah you surprised me, but the device you used was the opposite of ideal.

youtube.com/watch?v=OxpRmBCOobY

reach started that fucking bullshit

Attached: Assault_Rifle_Comparisons_sm.jpg (700x321, 35K)

>stupidest
Let me guess, you played 5 video games total in your life, right?

They couldn't even remake the classic art style without fucking it sideways.

Attached: assaultrifle-comparison.jpg (1920x2160, 341K)

the numbers piss me off

It works for cyberpunk and used future settings which are supposed to be messy.

SOUL

>most people
You are not "most people". Most people are still impressed by shiny things. It's why almost every fucking reveal trailer is a pre-rendered cinematic.

Bullseye bitch

Attached: 43FFA714-DD7F-4A4C-9FA7-4BA4A38C122A.jpg (671x424, 116K)

Yeah, Halo Reach and Halo 5 look exactly the fucking same. Look at all the greeble and useless detail on the armor and weapons for Reach get yer head out of your ass, seriously

Attached: spartans.jpg (1380x2000, 1.31M)

still important to note that this isn't on the actual system. the graphics on this and phantasy star 0 are still pretty stellar

To be fair, I question this about modern firearms as well. Is it all just for looks or a feature?

bottom literally looks like mass effect characters wut

>The fact that people are defending this shit shows /v) is filled with mouth breathing retards and if you think adding worthless shapes to an object you're another easily amused cretin that's needs to fuck off back to R*dit

Attached: 1512625965391.gif (260x187, 156K)

it's not just a thing for videogames retard
in fact, I'm not even sure the term even has anything to do with videogames

One night, 20 years from now, as user is asleep in his bed, he will awaken in a cold sweat and remember this post, and remember how utterly BTFO he was on this day.

Attached: 1547477686759.jpg (688x418, 441K)

I mean, ships from Star Wars to Space Balls have this design. It looks fucking cool. I didn't know it had a name, I didn't care it had a name. Today I learned people in the industry who make this stuff gave it a name. Cool. But there are actually people in this thread mad about something, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

I mean, I don't even know what to say to be honest. I feel like I'm talking to a kid with Down Syndrome. Stop licking the school bus windows, I guess.

>says fuck off back to R*dit
>posted from my iPhone

Cringe and yikes. Sure feels like summer in here.

Attached: 01814_01_sunrichorangesum.jpg (387x387, 38K)

many of the grooves n shit actually have function. i believe it's for weight and balance, but you're gonna have to ask /k/ to be sure.

but the designer for the Halo 5 weapons believe it's all for show. without even talking about the useless detail on that Halo 5 shotgun, the design blocks its own ironsight. that alone shows whoever made that gun has no idea what the fuck they were doing.

Attached: shotgun.jpg (2000x2000, 252K)

Attached: out fucking skilled.jpg (4685x2457, 313K)

>sci-fi
Space Fantasy, but it's still retarded.

As far as I can tell from other angles the rear post is in the center, not where you think it is. The design of the weapon isn't blocking shit. It still looks terrible though.

damn, why was this so funny, kek.

The best mechanical design artists do this.
They think about functionality and aesthetics.
Shoji kawamori, Syd mead and Kanetake Ebikawa are pretty good examples of this.

TOO
MUCH
SOUL

Sneed

Even the dumbest fucking bullshit in Mass Effect looks better than Halo 5.

gamer'd

People often forget how much work "greebles" can do to determine the scale of objects comprised of otherwise simple shapes. The more detailed and compact the greebles are, the bigger the object feels. This can especially help in a space settings where there are no obvious points of reference.

Attached: destroyer.jpg (1920x1080, 569K)

the atoms just bunch up as best they can
sometimes they're fucking stupid and don't align properly, causing all those cubed "branches" that go off in different directions

welcome to Yea Forums enjoy your stay

there is a time and place for everything, including greebles

Attached: laughing dededes.jpg (1384x776, 115K)

It's not a texture, greebling is also mesh

The worst examples I've seen are scam citizen's spaceships

Attached: 1401043185546.png (750x750, 1M)

extra detail

game?

based

Woah is this real magic??? Oh my. You'll have to forgive me it's.... well it's been a long time since I've seen... REAL. Magic...

Blow up the three shield generators and then destroy the bridge.
Rogue Leader taught me that.

Stop replying to your own posts. It's tacky and bad manners. tsk tsk

no

Point out a firearm and I'll tell you if they're for looks or not.

Usually random bullshit grooves on firearms are to reduce weight without reducing the strength of the material, to increase airflow over parts of the weapon that get extremely hot, to vent hot gases in particular ways or directions in order to reduce muzzle flash or noise, and to provide better grip on the firearm where you need to grab it to cycle the action, switch fire mode, release magazine, cock the hammer, or toggle the safety.

Attached: das-mann-regrowth-et-ulnis-axbet.jpg (1570x910, 405K)

Well I tried. You have to give me that.

>It's a shortcut to get that astetic though
which looks like utter shit
>Would you have artists do their fucking job
Yes, I would
just because you're ready to accept mediocrity doesn't mean everyone else is

Would you release my magazine, cock my hammer, and toggle my safety while you're at it? Please?

There is literally no excuse for greebles.
All an artist has to do is study mechanical references and piece them together.
It's just pure laziness.

I only finger fuck czechs

lOl

Attached: DSBI4PrVwAAfX3Z.jpg (640x800, 111K)

God every time I look at Halo 5 armor it fills me with disgust. Why does everyone look like bootleg action figures? Why are the helmets so weird? Oh and another thing I just noticed. WHY THE FUCK IS THE FUCKING ROCKET LAUNCHER AN AT4 INSTEAD OF SPNKR? WAS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE ORIGINAL DESIGN? WAS EVERYONE CLAMBERING TO GET IT CHANGED???? WHAT THE FUCK?

>ribbed for her pleasure

they made the spanker a higher rarity rocket launcher, the AT4 ripoff is the basic bitch one

343i hired a shitty art lead

Just because someone is technically competent, doesn't mean they understand actual design principles, let alone what kind of project they're working with. An intelligent and competent art lead would've been conservative with the designs while subtly introducing his own style. This guy just smashed Halo's art design with a fucking rock like some kind of neanderthal.

They look like twiggy football players / power rangers instead of super soldiers in armor.

>Or fly through the Bridge by accident.
yeah rotj is really the first dumb sw movie. it's like a dry run for the prequels in so many ways

OT is sex/10 until the end of the tattooine revisit imo, then you start getting lazy writing like 3po coming along to Endor for no good reason and dumb stuff for babies and doe-eyed females like the ewoks

That is so goddamn retarded and I think I hate them more than I already have. I swear if I see one change to the weapons in Halo infinite that is drastically different than the original trilogy, I'm not buying that shit.

>slowclap.gif

Well played sir. Well played

youtu.be/dncRHH9f6MI

>""""""texture""""""

Why would you design a ship with random crap sticking out of everything?

it's not a term for videogames
it George Lucas' term about random shits put on ships for added textures and scope and stuff

By that logic they could have. They could have destroyed the death star or practically any enemy ship by having sac pilots just light speed them. ...or send drones.

If I recall correctly, this is that Wizard of Oz game on the DS??

>Have they even attempted to address that bullshit?

They gave a shoddy "It was a 1 in a trillion chance of happening!" excuse. Basically boiled down to being EXACTLY the right distance away to speed up to light speed but not enter hyperspace.

They just wanted a "Look how cool this looks!" moment with a "We need to balance the fight because opse there is no way the villains can loose now" and threw everything else out the window.

It's called a displacement map. The way you know it isn't bump mapping is that the silhouette isn't a cube.

LOCK HIM UP

guess that makes sense
the word texture actually works when you think about it from a model make/prop design stand point

damn nigga, finna give him beans

Attached: 1560543033907.gif (182x182, 760K)

Not sure the term really applies here because the whole point if that the ships are covered in gothic architecture which actually looks like that. Like, those aren't just random little techy bits and shapes plastered all over it, those are entire fucking buildings. In fact, what actually makes this funny is that these ships are the OPPOSITE of greebling. If you look at the front of the ship, it's pretty no nonsense and is almost entirely flat surface.

...I don't think you want your nuts to be greebled.

I'm sure you have personal experience

Oooooo

How do you square this with the fact that mecha and sci fi tech like this is physically impossible

Well there was that one time I was at a swimming pool and slipped just before jumping in. Did the splits and landed straight on the edge.

My nuts certainly felt greebled that day

the impossible part usually just comes down to not enough power for the size, or materials not strong enough for the weight
so it becomes really easy to just go "oh, we invented this advanced generator" or "we found this material that's super strong for it's weight" and this logic goes for everything really, "thrusters too weak?we invented these better ones"

damn...

You people make me SICK not including the best example of this.

Attached: Out of Order Fuck even in the future nothing works.jpg (960x640, 252K)

>Why don't advanced starships resemble a boat from the 1930s

>picture of a rock
>life
?

Looks fine to me

Attached: ImpStarDestroyer-SWI125.jpg (1920x1160, 338K)

Look at that fucking greeble. Why can't NASA and Roscosmos make realistic shoot spaceship?

Attached: greeeeeeebleeee.jpg (1440x810, 430K)

*smooth
The heat is killing me. I can't even write properly.

Fucking Japanese artists, man...

Attached: 3bafe3a89a0d979957299a1eea29f926.jpg (586x701, 59K)

In retrospect, putting the command base right on the top where it's a target probably wasn't the best idea.

Star Destroyers are one of the best uses of greeble, since it helps to convey the sheer scale of one. Each of those tiny boxes is the size of a room, some as large as houses. Doubly so for Super Star Destroyers, since each one is like the same size as Manhattan.

maybe you just shouldnt be writing at all

excellent

Attached: 1456028754227.jpg (327x324, 15K)

I think OP's point is that greeble is used like a digital structure brush to feign complexity and functionality where none is present.

OP's point is also that it's a bad thing somehow. But then he really ought to also take issue with randomized complexity added to trees, grass, clouds, rocks, whatever.

youtube.com/watch?v=-WvD1K2JF2I

why are you asking him? it's used in halo, mass effect, star wars, etc.

When 2B Brap's just a little too hard.

are you dumb?

based

greeble is a good thing if used to correctly and the majority of you faggots are uninformed retards that don't even know the origin of the concept

This is why Ace Combat's artstyle is top tier. It can make the most outlandish and silly concepts look grounded and realistic

Attached: 1547234115753.webm (1280x720, 2.93M)

These are practivally greeble free though.

Greeble applies to non-functional patterns of detail, tiled on a surface to make it look complex.

The Great Fox in Melee was a nice example of this.

Attached: 5c09e548e5ef6.jpg (1280x720, 204K)

>greeble is a good thing if used to correctly
Take a look at pretty much any modern FPS game, especially ones set in the future, everyone looks so fucking overcomplicated it has no visual identity and you get lost everywhere so you need objective markers

I've never played a Halo and even I'm insulted by the armor on the bottom

i agree and those faggots are using it incorrectly greeble should only be used for big objects not small objects

all of these are considered greebles

Attached: ab36b925372b86973640971e8bb92477.png (1271x632, 515K)

shut the fuck up

They most certainly are not.

>all this pseudorealistic military jargon
heh pretty nice i have to play this at some point for sure

That's functional. Greeble isn't.

Those are vortex generators if memory serves

based retard

you okay there buddy?

Attached: 2019-06-26_0324.png (1273x643, 633K)

Y u no rike it?

Attached: 1561527315647.jpg (346x678, 71K)

>>it gets blown up easily and likely tens of thousands of people die
realize the Death probably had thousands of stormtroopers with all their families on it
what the fuck did the empire even do, I mean I know they built a space station that can blow up planets but the only thing they blew up was the equivalent to an ISIS recruitment center

are you?
or are you acting like you know what a word means just by reading a screenshot posted on 4chin?

True, replying to trolls is unwise.

You can be sure that those things are shaped the way they are for function.
When random clutter is put on things to add complexity with no purpose I think that is what greeble is.

You need help though.

Hand placed design objects with actual functionality are most certainly never considered greebles or an example of greeble in general, unless one was to try and act like an aloof export on fictional earospace engineering.

I thought it was funny

based retard

The guy didn't say they are exactly the same but that they started it, those are two different things.

I think he means more of a Bridge Commander type game.

Yeah, I know, shouldn't reply to trolls.

based retards

okay?

Why is this making me laugh so hard?

based retard

>a rock is the same as a human built tool

Attached: BIDYERGAMEEE.jpg (659x1200, 435K)

it didn't start shit. Reach's design were always function over design while still looking aesthetically good and coherent.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

based retard

>look at me, I post on Yea Forums and have no sense or dig-ni-tee

Attached: Drake-All-Me-640x640.jpg (640x640, 229K)

I dont think you know what greeble is.

Vents, heatsinks, verniers and panel lines arent greeble.

>People thinking this is some sort of new thing.

Attached: doom1bfgbanner.png (620x400, 366K)

Yeah of course. But since it is sci-fi you can't really tell which part is fuctional and wich is not. You can't even tell fuction of parts on the ISS photo so how can you judge whether some part of spaceship from 24th century is fuctional of just greeble?

That's not what I wrote or even implied though.

My point is that randomized placements, shapes, and textures of rocks, trees, and foliage can look every bit as non-functional and stupid as, for instance, randomized welding lines on the hull of a ship.

But they won't look that way to people who don't care about accurate portrayals of nature. Just like people don't don't care much about functional sci-fi gadgets won't notice whether a certain antenna or hatch does something useful or not.

I'm not saying both are good things. I'm saying both are things developers do, and some are better at getting away with it than others.

Attached: mh.png (493x276, 37K)

That's why the I and II-class ships were so easy to destroy and the Resurgent-class was redesigned to make the bridge a much smaller target and add a second emergency bridge in the middle of the ship. But now they need to solve the "ram another ship into them" problem

Attached: first-order-star-destroyer-main-image-2_99142f23.jpg (768x432, 50K)

SPACE BATTLESHIP

Attached: 1552155816139.jpg (1920x791, 358K)

Attached: US_warships_entering_Lingayen_Gulf_1945.jpg (1384x969, 627K)

this is why I hate modern weapon design

Attached: tlnd18-alpha74-author.jpg (1086x610, 341K)

If you overuse visual complexity for every object, even the unimportant ones, it can overwhelm a scene. Your eye doesn't know what to focus on, and it's hard to see small details at a distance.

all of that has function though

OP you probably kickstarted a new term akin to soul/soulless that people will start throwing around so go fuck yourself

Attached: 1533730993788.jpg (640x646, 45K)

read my lips:
RIFLE
IS
FINE

Attached: AKR_74M_ERG_002_2048x2048_75aca7a2-77b8-4463-a45e-3eacc611ec70_800x.jpg (800x600, 27K)

so does everything, just because you don't know what it does, doesn't mean it has no function
which means, by your definition, greeble doesn't exist

You hate utility and functionality?

rifle is heavy
rifle isn't heavy

Is it a useful function? Do you need rails on four different sides of your rifle for it to put holes in things accurately at a distance?

yes

the whole point of greeble is to give the illusion of functionality for the sake of design, which can make certain aesthetics and designs really fucking ugly. look at the Halo 5 examples earlier.

you can't say that about real life because all that noisy shit does have functionality. it's not noise for the sake of noise.

my god, zoomerism really is an epidemic

That's not really what anyone is talking about.

Greebles and greeble as a phenomenon is specifically when non-functional stuff is added by an artist to make things look cool, rather than when a design ends up looking cluttered from having to serve a multitude of functions.

Whether we here can effectively identify if this process has taken place is slightly irrelevant to the category of a design in question.

So you don't have an argument, cool.

>being a hipster over guns
Truly the mark of the underage cock sucking tranny trying too hard to fit in

I don't think either of those weight that much more or less than the other.
The plastics in the AK74M are completely hollow and quite thin to boot.

again user, just because you don't know what the function of said thing is and think it's just an illusion, doesn't mean it has no function

get the fuck off my internet zoomer fucking shits

Next movie better have hyper speed ramming as a main form of attack. Like fuck building Death Star 96, just shoot a fucking Destroyer at whatever planet Rey is on, or what looks like whats gonna be a fuckhuge space fight at the beginning of the movie they just shoot their ships at eachother.

God damn it Yea Forums not again

Attached: 1530267122085.gif (267x200, 2.58M)

Intelligently designed spacecraft would be shaped like cylinders, spheres, or triangles with the command center somewhere in the middle, near the center of mass where the crew would experience the smallest interial forces.

It's not even a stupid idea to put the bridge sticking out like that because it's exposed. It's also a stupid idea because if you try and spin the spacecraft too fast you turn everyone on the birdge into spaghetti. This is one of those things I hadn't even considerd being an issue until I started playing children of a dead earth and splattered my crew for exactly this reason.

Also if you don't have magic space engines for propulsion, then your combat ship should have a low-thrust high-isp propulsion segment that can attach/detech from the combat segment which has a high-thrust low-isp engine. This makes the most economical design sense: You use the high efficiency engine to travel between areas of interest and strategically maneuver, then you use the combat engines for, well, combat; when you need to make a 4g burn for 30 seconds or you die.

Since the engine designs are so wildly different for these two situations, you want to stage your space warship so that it can take off the economy engines when its fightin time.

Attached: kait-kybar-rocket.jpg (1024x1024, 141K)

Itt: Yea Forums learns something, then immediately gets angry at it

more like Yea Forums gets mad at imaginary things again

>engines are greebles
>flaps are greebles

lmao

???

Yea Forums's collective brain is a hotel of things living rent free, and Greebles is the newest guest

I like the OT stuff, but everything else is pretty hideous. I see people circlejerking around Clone Wars stuff all the time and I never get it, it's all bulbous and awkward looking.

>tfw to intelegent for greebles or any form of surface detail at all so you build your ships from force fields

Attached: Culture_GSV_and_escorts_by_ex_pacifist.jpg (1180x676, 31K)

yes user
you think when they were modeling plains they picked the shapes out of boxes labeled "engines" and "flaps"?
everything is a greeble, just because you go back and rationalize your design doesn't change the fact

>plains
planes

>everything is a greeble
t. retards on Yea Forums

Since the galaxy has been torn apart 5 times over in the last 100 years, they forgot basic tech they had that prevented this called interdictors.

Star wars universe is basically galactic africa at this point and forgot they have stuff like toilets so they shit on the beach.

All of those have a clearly defined function. They aren't just random textures plopped down to make it seem cool. If you want greeble, imagine if those lines at the front of the plane and above each propeller were shoved onto every single part of the wings.

>You're pretty good
>but me?
>I'm magic

there it is again, knew this was happening
Yea Forums saw a screen cap and now they're fighting imaginary things

greebles sound like something that live under the fridge or in the walls

>go one artstation.com for inspo
>greebled boxy spaceships and 'cars'
>scifi armour covered in pointless cutlines
>asymmetrical armour that doesn't protect key areas
>barbarians with skulls on their belt
>swords with no sense of balance
>guns that look uncomfortable to hold nevermind fire
>chinks painting the same anime girl a thousand times
fuck now that tumblr killed itself where do I go for half decent art inspo blogs?

Attached: tumblr_net2j57HdT1thjipmo3_500.jpg (480x323, 41K)

>modeling plains
This, why should plains have stuff like engines and flaps? It should just be grass. Fucking Hillary....

Attached: Bliss.1497349801.jpg (1200x800, 167K)

Yea Forums has once again opened my eyes.
I will now boycott anything that tries to pass "greebles" as a valid design.

itt: people who seriously, unironically, and without self-awareness, think that starwars had good ship design.

compare pic related to any artist-driven false complexity and you'll notice that it's a lot more interesting. you can get lost in tracing the pipes from place to place, and it's clear that they have some broader layout and design, they're not just jammed together in a bland covering of boring shit.

Attached: spacex-merlin-engine-1.jpg (600x400, 77K)

Fuck your space dildo.

Attached: 85LineExt37Annihilator.jpg (600x465, 55K)

>replacing the plastic handguard with a much larger metal one, adding a fuck huge muzzle device, and adding a sight makes the rifle lighter

Attached: 1561483401976.png (1439x1076, 1.2M)

>futuristic high-density asian urban area
Is this a fucking quota they have to meet

Attached: fleet2.webm (800x450, 1.93M)

>Not going for the "this is a ship but also a mountain range, ocean, forest, and also a city" aesthetic
Found the gravitaslet

Attached: 1384050132221.jpg (1500x704, 286K)

I very much agree.
I'm not saying I enjoy the practice. It's one of the many things that can make games look horrible.

fucking hate this shit, who the fuck uses bricks in 2019?

Attached: anastasia-nurmi-regular.jpg (1920x1080, 292K)

that boat is smooth though, not sure why you anti-intellectual animals still think you can just counter facts with rando pictures and tapping RP nonsense

>he doesn't play noire games that sometimes include vampires

>Would you have artists design each futuristic tool and instrument
user the only detail on that ship is copypasted windows and ladders. If that's too hard for you to recreate, maybe look for a different job

It's what on the inside that counts, Stood In Line For Gravitas But When I Finally Got To The Front It Was Just A Line For A Crummy Pail Of Water my dear

someone hasn't told them that we could just use Japan and Hong Kong as reference

Attached: u9lvSgy.jpg (1024x768, 114K)

greebles are part of the designing process you brainlets
you literally add greebles first, than go back and rationalize it later, saying that this random box is a sensor, this is an engine, this is a heatvent blah blah blah
you get the idea

If anything its MORE correct in this context, videogames calling a flat image mapped to a 3D object a texture is literally wrong.

>you literally add greebles first, than go back and rationalize it later,
If you were an artist working for me I'd fire you for saying that

good thing greebles have literally nothing to do with art huh

what? greebles are what artists use to make things look technical

aw fuck I miss mirror's edge

Attached: 1449496663778.jpg (1280x720, 299K)

I fucking hate Kamurocho

Yeah, i'm going with based in this one.

user
greebles are what model makers and prop designers use to make props look cool
then the other dudes then rationalize said prop to add in functions later

How can you identify when artist does greeble to make stuff look cool and when it is cluttered but fuctional? Where do you draw the line is my point.

>model makers and prop designers
what do you call these roles in videogame design?

artists you fucking idiot

"videogame"
nigga...

>It's summertime in Yea Forums
Fucking kids need to go do the long sleep.

where do you think you are?

yep, I can already feel it happening

Going back and rationalizing designs is like, half of what actual industrial engineers and architects do, though. And when they really can't, they make adjustments. Proper designers for fiction make adjustments to the placements of random cool thingamabobs on their early sketches too.

Some don't. And the results are often obvious greebles, or in the case of games, obvious greeble textures. Not just concerning vehicle engineering, but for character outfits, equipment, and architecture as well.

But feel free to be a stickler AND a victim, if you think Yea Forums doesn't know what they're talking about.

>Indie pixel bullshit
>Solid color no texture 3D hipster unity shovel ware
>"Graphic design"
>NPR gimmickery in all forms
>Greebles

The list of the death of the soul.
Anything else I should add?

why does this always happen?
guy posts screen cap
user reads said cap
user thinks they're experts
user gets mad
it's this whole fucking cycle, over and over, again and again
it never fucking ends

Attached: 1161104753745.jpg (464x348, 31K)

>model makers and prop designers
yes, artists, just like the artists who make props and levels in video games

you fucking artist

I HATE this shit so much
cartoony low poly looks great if you do it right, but that stuff is just so lazy

Attached: lizardgift.gif (288x240, 1.25M)

>Model makers
Playing with toys doesn't make you an artist.

It's not entirely unlike feminists reading about something some men do or some man has done.

get fucked, OP

Attached: 1407132771630.jpg (406x445, 50K)

>Indie pixel bullshit
>"Graphic design"
>Greebles
>Furries, "cartoony"

Anything else I should add?

Well not in Japan. Only the leader of any production is considered the "artist" there.

Nah, Ray Tracing.

>Makes everything look wet
>Suddenly you have 1/3 of the resources for the rest of your game

>directors choose to have sound in the vacuum of space because otherwise burgerclaps get confused

Astounding

Attached: 1544047070744.gif (500x390, 79K)

hellooooooooooooooooooo????????

Attached: 1548947233119.jpg (1800x1818, 220K)

Ray tracing is the fucking key to the soul you dumbfuck.

That's the more often the fault of shoddy adjustments on normal maps and the materials utilizing them, than the fault of ray tracing though.

man, it used to be called adding detail while you were kit bashing
now suddenly a term is coined and now Yea Forums is mad at this imaginary thing that doesn't exist

Calarts.

It's a souless crutch that you use when you can't actually design.

Attached: 1548548953047.gif (540x250, 1.89M)

Well I personally don't really draw a line. I just know when I see something that makes me more skeptical than fascinated.

Like for instance this texture
But some in this thread seem to be experts and very upset about the whole thing too.

are you calling every single maker at ILM souless?

>now suddenly a term is coined
it's old as fuck bruh

it's only old if you consider the original SW trilogy old

It's outdated. It might've worked when technology was limited but times have changed.

The original SW trilogy is older than even people who've been on Yea Forums since its creation. It's wild to think that Star Wars hasn't been good since before I was born, and I'm nearing 30.

60 fucking years bruh.

bullshit

I'm lost now. Are you arguing that the term doesn't have merit because it isn't old?

PBR

go back then
the conversation isn't even hat hard to follow

It looks like the spaceship has acne.

3D textures are a thing.

So you make a dumb comment, then divert the discussion right after, and then refer back to your original dumb comment when asked about what your point is?

The term wasn't "suddenly" coined, and the phenomenon of adding detail to a surface purely for the sake of interest has been discussed in popular visual design for half a century at least.

Whether it's something to be upset about, like some here seem to be, is an entirely different discussion though.

Fuck you, Chuck Jones had the best art style.

A displacement map or normal map IS a texture. And what's used in OP's image obviously is a displacement map.

Very few ever really do it that way, though, so while it's technically correct, it's still stupid.

user
what are you even fucking talking about?

Destiny in a nutshell

>Shoji kawamori, Syd mead and Kanetake Ebikawa are pretty good examples of this.
Based taste user.

same bro

the clone trooper gunship is pure kino

Overdesigned trash

Someone seemed to imply that greeble as a term was "suddenly coined" for something that used to just be "adding detail".

When pointed out that this wasn't sudden at all, the discussion was then apparently diverted to concern what would constitute "sudden" or "old as fuck".

When asked whether this diversion was meant to imply that the term holds no merit because of its perceived age category, I was told to go back and read it again.

My only way forward from there was to reiterate that the term isn't a sudden invention, and elaborate that it doesn't concern any and all acts of adding detail.

/autism

If anything was ever "haha" then this is it.

that's stupid
no sound means just hearing the breathing of people around
you can substitute the lack of sound by making a monotonous sequence like in many other movies

Yourself.

everything there has a reason and a use
greeble is just random bullshit to make it look more complex than it is

i fucking miss fractured space

how would a spaceship with only functional shit look like

Fuck off.

fucking greebles reeeeeeee

Attached: f2c6c06e-9218-11e8-9656-94877fce2da3_1280x720_095135.jpg (1200x800, 91K)

Voxels

Fuck off r*ddit.

cope harder

Attached: 5mlnce8ykfy21.jpg (1920x2157, 573K)

>aerodynamic design
>in space

Freeworlds: Tides of War does it

>Indie pixel bullshit
>"Graphic design"
>Greebles
>Furries
>"cartoony"
>Cel-shading
>Voxels

Any more?

>mecha
>sci fi tech like this
>physically impossible
Good joke. The line for the impossible keeps getting pushed back every 10 years. Fucking 6th gen fighter plane designs are already approaching Yukikaze tier insanity; all it takes is one advancement and we have fucking mechs.

it really isnt.

>Flat surfaces towards direction of movement
>Aerodynamic

PBR

Attached: 1541915863458.jpg (2795x3264, 781K)

>Flat surfaces towards direction of movement
what

It would look like a spaceship where only things describing its functionality and the necessary means of constructing it had been drawn/modeled.

Of course, an aesthetically pleasing space ship is likely to also look like something people would subconsciously recognize, but that's regular artistic freedom, I'd say.

I think Bugatti is supposed to have said something about ugly things probably not having found their ideal functionality, and they'd work better if they also looked better.

post modern

You blind or what?

Eh, those look so wildly different that I'd be hard pressed to say one was better or worse than the other.

Thank you for advertising our site.
$0.02 has been deposited into your account.

Here, I'll help you
The bottom one looks worse

PBR is one of the key element to soulful photorealism tho.

Reddit "le so random XD" humor

Here, have an upvote, sir!

I don't think I find that I agree.

It just looks like a vastly different style of portrayal altogether.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_fence

>soulful photorealism
Holy yikes

Attached: JWKrsqi.png (1334x750, 1.7M)

you made no sense would you like to rewrite what you mean?

Attached: To_Whom_it_may_concern.jpg (1000x589, 265K)

Sure, but this is about visual design.

But maybe this could be expanded to be some sort of Yea Forums guide for soulful videogame development?

Pic related is what PBR actually does when nothing else changes, your example just showcases the difference between different games.

Attached: 1547059824660.jpg (674x753, 375K)

Both look like shit

fucking dabbed on dumbass

Attached: 1559704816042.png (856x796, 342K)

Yeah see that's exatly what I'm talking about.
In your example, the construction makes sense, and that plating is free of unnecessary features.

In the example of the great fox, the utilized texture does not actually resemble welding lines, isn't placed at any logical angles what construction is concerned, and contains a dubiously high amount of subsections.

It's a classic greeble texture. And I am not upset about it. It gets the job done reasonably well.

That you are dumb.

Maybe it could be expanded on for anyone who cares by actually studying visual design in general?

caught me off guard
r/Yea Forums pls notice me you faggots

Attached: 1550642485361.jpg (560x560, 375K)

Graphics barely improved in last 7 years, so yeah, i can clearly see how devs totally spend more time on actually important things now.

That's not the point. The point is, PBR in and of itself has nothing do with "soul", it's just a rendering technique. What matters is how it's used. His bottom example would've still looked worse than the top even without PBR due to changes in environmental artists between the two games.

Wasn't this invented in the 70's by films like Alien and Star Wars because it made little model ships able to look absolutely gigantic?

>Graphics barely improved in last 7 years

Imagine being this wrong.

They talked about it already ten years earlier when making 2001 A Space Odyssey, but just called it something else, I think.

>Yea Forums guide for soulful design in aesthetics, writing and games
>-A. Non

Don't:
>Indie pixel bullshit
>"Graphic design"
>Greebles
>Furries
>"cartoony"
>Cel-shading
>Voxels
>r*ddit humor

That's because just switching to PBR does nothing, you actually have to tweak the masks/values to get a proper use out of it.

It's yet another ploy by fucking artists who don't know a single fucking thing about gameplay, and want to make screenshots that look good rather than communicate information clearly and easily to the player.
Simple shapes, flat colors, clear outlines. That is what your brain processes easily, and the extra 5 milliseconds it takes your brain to notice what that messy blob is matter in games.
Artists of course don't actually play games so they have no fucking clue, and proceed to damage their own product's primary purpose by making it "look nice".
This is a screenshot of gameplay. You tell me what the fucking hitboxes are for any of this shit. ... Well okay the Cube in the middle is obvious but the rest? No.

Attached: trine 2.jpg (1440x900, 290K)

Yea Forumseddit never disappoints

Attached: 1553794773865.gif (342x342, 436K)

Attached: fluid garnish mostly used on otherwise dry food.gif (500x322, 1000K)

Pbr is the reason why 99% of modern games look like everything is made of plastic
Not that pbr is the problem but that lazy devs rely too heavily on it (look at nearly every indie UE4 title). It needs to be used in conjunction with other parts of a devs toolbox

Attached: c09fZ.jpg (871x922, 98K)

k dude

This is about as embarrassing as when Yea Forums tries to talk about the technical side of rendering game graphics, so stay at it if you must.

I laughed, at least

Shouldnt a shotgun not have rear sights?

made me laugh like an idiot

That looks fantastic you fucking goblin

>Stood In Line For Gravitas But When I Finally Got To The Front It Was Just A Line For A Crummy Pail Of Water
phoneposter get out

Attached: 1466270017976.png (3300x3140, 555K)

If you have nothing worthwhile to contribute you can just fuck off.

How's that working out for you? If the first thing you show me about your game is a prerended trailer, I skip your game. I can't remember the last AAA game I bought, but it was a long time ago.

Yeah, I mean, everything is made of aerogel now, and anything made from bricks isn't worth portraying in a game anyway.

dude what

After you.

put me in the screencap

Attached: robben.png (235x221, 86K)

>she thinks videogames invented greebles

m8 it's a propmaking term.
y'know, the guys what used to make models and miniatures for film before everything went CG.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1000x584, 769K)

Go. BACK.

Underrated post

Go back

Attached: 1560171278098.jpg (640x604, 63K)

Man, I never even thought about it, and if I did, I couldn't put my finger on it, but I hate greeble.

Calling B as FOX

>mfw fucking normies don't fly in sunny side up eggs

Attached: mpc-hc64_2019-06-26_02-58-30.jpg (850x520, 40K)

Every single game and movie with cgi made in the last several years uses pbr if it's 3d rendered.

okay that image HAS to be bait

>the utilized texture does not actually resemble welding lines
It does.

>isn't placed at any logical angles what construction is concerned
Yes, they are.

>and contains a dubiously high amount of subsections.
It does not.

>It's a classic greeble texture.
No it isn't.

>And I am not upset about it.
You are literally seething

>It gets the job done reasonably well.
I'd say it does a fine job, but at least we can agree on something.

wat if you fire slugs

I hate the "advanced civilization has only smooth featureless crafts" cliche. It's boring and lazy.

absolutely btfo

>Freudian Nightmare

Attached: 2cat.jpg (384x315, 35K)

Why would you remind me. Not cool dude.

Attached: 1561542359340.jpg (871x922, 299K)

B
>Perfectly square chair padding, lack of reflections on posters, aliasing issues on posters, lack of dark shadows on gray chairs, flat shadows on the ground instead of smooth
You don't even have to look that long

The shadows on B aren't scattered like they should be with those light sources. Also the lights don't have any flare around them that a camera would pick up.

culture GSVs can look like pretty much anything they want to since the hull is only force field, so why choose anything but smooth and featureless? Although I'm sure there are lots that run whatever meme look they feel like doing that day.

B has aliasing

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Wow. You literally know nothing about any of this, and you're greentexting at max speed, claiming that I am the one seething.

Well trolled.

Top: The original show
Bottom: The "Teenage" show.

Aside from all the other issues.

yes

Now THIS is epic

That's kibble.

And remember that game ran at pretty much locked 60 fps and was a GameCube exclusive.

It's better design most of the time to make textures have a bit of dirt or rust or dents rather than have them be utterly pristine too. That doesn't mean they make the whole thing out of rust. You're being a faggot with your exaggeration and your strawmen.

Adding dust and dents to a texture meant to represent a material where it's fitting isn't ever to be considered greeble though, you Megamind you, and user never implied anything like that.

>>cel-shading
Whats wrong with cel-shading? youre not one of those retards who think fortnite is cel-shaded are you?

It's possible within the rules of their own setting, so it can be internally consistent and believable, which is usually what they're going for rather than actual realism.
You literally couldn't have sci-fi at all if everything within it had to be detailed and provably possible. We don't know what future technology will be like or precisely how it will work until we invent it, and then it isn't future technology at all.

This is an absolutely pathetic form of greebling. People use a similarly named technique when it comes to making Lego models, except people create the illusion of panel lines which looks more detailed without being such a fucking mess like this.

Attached: 1551821100049.gif (320x240, 2.05M)

Attached: buyfunkopop.png (646x525, 428K)

OP's image is just an example for highlighting the mehcanics of the effect. Which it's pretty good at.

It's not meant as an example of "doing it well" or "getting away with it".

user eternally btfo

what game? Final fantasy or something??

and can you tell which part is for what? Nether can I. Same goes to greeble and Sci-fi spaceship, with features you can't im
agine

Battlefleet Gothic, a Warhammer 40K setting.

But that's not actually what anyone is talking about.

>mfw i finished building my own greeble tool a few weeks ago
>mfw i come into this thread

Attached: Ellenpageblamepence1-640x480.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Look at all the greebling the art team put on this ship, it's so unrealistic. It should just be smooth and flat!

Attached: TT-2012-Atlantis-rollover[1].jpg (1680x826, 227K)

Your first problem is giving a shit about what any of these retards think desu