When will we get destructible environments in video games?

when will we get destructible environments in video games?

Attached: 8.jpg (1280x720, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bDFbFmZCsHY
youtu.be/gYEuXrjnqm4
youtube.com/watch?v=MG32dp0d-9A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Games with destructible environments will ALWAYS be behind graphically compared to other games of the same time period due to how much additional strain it puts on PCs/servers.
Even games that let their graphics take a hit to do this like Fortnite don't have many particles they're keeping track of in their destructible environments, and everything eventually disappears.

We already did, in 2002
youtube.com/watch?v=bDFbFmZCsHY

fuck graphics
i'd rather play something like edf than bland cinematic walking simulator #623453

Red Faction: Gorilla was so much fun. I wish it had a bigger modding scene, I just wanted a big cityscape to 9/11.

It turns out being able to destroy a level completely really limits the effectiveness of level design, which is why it's not used very often. I do wish more games went with semi-destructability like you see in battlefield and shit tho

We got them 15 years ago.
AAA tech has just gone backwards.

>meanwhile in a Finnish indie title...
youtu.be/gYEuXrjnqm4

This is just a poor excuse at this point.
You also don't play anything but modern console shit.

Attached: Crysis environmental destruction trees.webm (640x360, 2.56M)

Unfortunately most people don't want to play games with PS1 graphics.
I'd guess we're 10-20 years away from a game really taking full advantage of fully destructible environments that looks like the games of today.

we already do, you fucking zoomer
just cause,red faction and battlefield

Attached: 155402293045.png (1920x1080, 1.42M)

this is what environmental action really looks like. meanwhile in a game like BotW, you always chop a tree from the exact same height.

just cause is just an oil tank destruction simulator, there are no destructible buildings

you wanted destruction
just cause has it
also mercenaries
>b-but
have sex

i'm not op you absolute cockgobbler

Literally nobody needs this.

I'd love to know how this is handled on a technical level, and whether or not destroyed parts of the environment are stored in that state (permanently) or not

>slavic double-A vidya from 2011 has more environmental destruction, more enemies and projectiles on the screen, better visuals, better performance and better mod support that majority of all big AAA titles from the past decade
Why is this allowed ?

Attached: 1386324186604.jpg (1600x1000, 643K)

>This is just a poor excuse at this point.
>You also don't play anything but modern console shit.
Nope, I'm just explaining a very basic concept akin to how a multiplayer game with destructible environments is more demanding than a single-player one.
But thanks for posting that indie video to prove my point.

>Mentions BOTW out of nowhere
Go play Skyward Sword since cutting trees accurately is that important to you.

It was actually a one-note gimmick game that sucked extreme ass.

small marketing budget

I mention BotW because it was praised as a game with revolutionary interactivity. I found it kind of stale and static. Chopping down a tree is essentially just the same script, even if you use a bomb if falls as if you used an axe.

When they become as profitable as microtransactions

Attached: AAB4579F-838B-4B3C-BDDD-9AB6C2771C19.gif (397x238, 1.45M)

not even true
bad company 2 had pretty good destruction
companies just dont want to program that shit in because it's too hard
if bad company 2 can handle it then any new game can too
im willing to bet it isnt as hard as youre assuming/saying it is

it was praised for its use of physics, wind, weather, etc. and how those systems interplay. Destructible environments are never what botw strived for nor is it known for them.

never, game design has moved on from making fun sandboxes and worlds that react to you in favor of making more expensive movies for normies

Attached: 5f857d44c9e367f0eb42efcc46eb1ead.jpg (736x1599, 178K)

>Starbase
holy hell how have i not seen that? looks comfy as hell

not him but decent physics in an online multiplayer game is incredibly difficult to implement, as any change in latency can completely break your physics simulation.

There's a pre-made asset to replicate such effect in Unity, that you can attach to any 3D object and then proceed to chop or blast it to pieces. You can even adjust variables like whether or not the object is hollow or solid from the inside, how the material is supposed to break down (solid chunks, chipping, splintering into small shards...), etc.

>Nope, I'm just explaining a very basic concept akin to how a multiplayer game with destructible environments is more demanding than a single-player one.
Funny how every single BF game this decade has had destructive buildings and shit. Hell, take a look at games like SQUAD, where you can build and break down structures, and every single shot is a physics-controlled projectile. All this in a HUGE x HUGE sized maps, 40 vs 40 games.

>I mention BotW because it was praised as a game with revolutionary interactivity.
You're mixing interactivity and destruction.
The amount of detailed, interacting systems in the BotW's world is fucking amazing, especially for a WiiU game. This includes but is not limited to how different materials (wood, bone, metal, rock...) react to different forces of nature (fire, water, wind, ice, electricity...), and how such interactions can be exploited and harnessed in very dynamic and satisfying manner.

Attached: 1381840574324.gif (280x158, 2.78M)

you didn't play red faction guerrilla did you? back when it came out it wasn't the best of the best looking but it didn't look bad at all

as always, a small yet passionate indie devs don't got money for big marketing campaigns, so it's only a word-of-mouth.
The game looks cool though. If it delivers, I can see it replacing the Space Engineers in my library.

Space Station 13

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Squad lacks destructible map assets though. And has extremely poor penetration right now.

the bf games are a bad example because the destruction is canned animations and "chunks", a better game to use would be red faction guerrilla or BEAMng

this is why you only do the big bits that can be still used as corver server side and make all the "only there to make it graphically pretty" shit on the client

>I'm just explaining a very basic concept akin to how a multiplayer game with destructible environments is more demanding than a single-player one.
It's not 1997 any more.
We got entire games whose big selling points are destructive mayhem.

Still better than nothing.

Attached: 1502343970003.webm (800x450, 2.22M)

yeah but the games i mentioned do if for real, and do it well AND AND do it pretty

but where do you draw that line?

that's a pretty easy answer user, where optimisation tells you to, you figure out the break point with server and gameplay testing

when GREAT LEADER IS DEAD

Attached: touro_newlight.gif (301x260, 2.25M)

space engie is so clunky and ugly and also has no actual gameplay, i wish i didn't buy into it

Bad company 1 and 2 had some multiplayer levels you could completely demolish. Shit was so good

>space engie is so clunky and ugly and also has no actual gameplay
sasuga casual zoomer homo...
clearly 2dumb2 write his own C++ scripts.

>You're mixing interactivity and destruction.
destruction (and recreation) is basically required for interactivity. games like terraria and minecraft feel more interactive than BotW. true interactivity is a feeling that you can truly reshape the world around you, this feeling doesnt exist in BotW at all

not him but what on earth are you on about

>what is terraria

boy thats really why i buy games, so i can... make them myself....

Attached: me.png (854x468, 351K)

The tech is there for FPS, but from a gameplay and balance perspective do you want zero cover? The devs don't think so.

IIRC, in the battlefield series, battlefield inclueners complained about at lack of cover when the entire map was flattened

2D pixelshit

what's the matter?
2hard4u?

>You also don't play anything but modern console shit.
Speak for yourself consolebab

wait to see the the performance

This has always been a thing, lil kekold

Attached: lyddite.webm (960x540, 2.78M)

?

That's stretching the definition of interactivity. You can interact with an environment without permanently destroying it or changing it. It's like saying turning a sink on isn't interactive because the water didn't change color, or the sink didn't break, etc. Like, I'm fucking typing out the this message to you and interacting with a keyboard, but the keys don't fall off and I don't need to build more keys in order to communicate.

it's a 2007 game, m8. You can run Crysis on a fucking potato these days.
Would it not be for the game's ancient 32-bit architecture that only can utilize 1 CPU core and 3 gigs of RAM, we could've easily 4K / 144fps'd the thing for years now.

Attached: crysis nuke.webm (1280x720, 2.4M)

Bomberman 64 has destructible environments, and it was made in 1997. What the fuck are you talking about? Are you high?

There was a time when they were all the rage little Zoomer.

>tfw I interact with other people and end up killing them in the process

It pains me that Silent Storm still hasn't been surpassed when it comes to level destruction.

>when a stray bullet goes through a wall and nails a gas tank which sets off even more explosives when it detonates, causing a chain-reaction that singlehandedly makes the level look like a post-apocalyptic ruin

Attached: silentstorm.jpg (760x379, 65K)

RF:G destruction was so good and it somehow ran super smooth on the 360. How the fuck did they do it? Magic?
Game was so fucking fun.

Attached: 1551326763664.jpg (246x235, 8K)

When it makes sense with the rest of the game?

Jagged Alliance 2 had destructible environments, but roof/ceiling tiles couldn't be destroyed for whatever reason. It was only recently modders implemented destructible roofs. Took only 15 years
youtube.com/watch?v=MG32dp0d-9A

Play Red Faction Guerrilla if you want a game with proper destruction mechanics. Nothing more satisfying than finding the armed walker and going into doen syndrome autism fit with arms swirling running through buildings and smashing groups of EDF, and the satisfying sound of hearing them die makes it even more enjoyable.