Why is it so hard to make a decent Lovecraft based game?

Why is it so hard to make a decent Lovecraft based game?

Attached: Diesel_product_middlemist_home_EGS_BIGBEN_TSC_G1-2560x1440-83c6637324d95cf3ac8cce91428ebf0307b4ae4e. (2560x1440, 449K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DihTL8IX2hs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

?

Attached: 1536917172844.png (780x439, 538K)

because lovecraft sucks lol

/thread

Steam port when?

It shouldn't be that hard at all.

Attached: xeno draw.jpg (474x636, 30K)

FPBP

i was amazed by how mediocre this game is. Not quite DS3 and not quite Sekiro. It fails at both

Amid evil's last episode has mad cosmic horror vibes

Attached: 20190626015440_1.jpg (1920x1080, 397K)

I have no idea what Lovecraft is.

I feel like it would work with the kind of formula found in Alien: Isolation or something like that. The player should feel helpless against what they're facing for the most part, that was an integral part of Lovecraft's work. Cosmic horror includes the idea that humanity really isn't that important in the grand scheme and I imagine that must be difficult to portray properly in a video game. Just an opinion though.

Bait harder

Lovecraft's type of horror doesn't really translate that well to visual mediums.

This
Somthing like alien isolation mixed with amnesia and FEAR

youtube.com/watch?v=DihTL8IX2hs

"le epic incomprehensible extradimensional beings that are le sooooo strong and powerful you go crazy looking at them" is a limiting premise for a game

is the best option because it just uses a pseudo-Lovecraft aesthetic and lore in an action-focused setting.

duuude sluuugs

Yeah, that's a good combo. So many games are just power fantasies and cosmic horror should be the opposite.

That's a really good point, too. Same reason there are very few good cosmic horror movies and TV shows. The reader's imagination is super important to cosmic horror working properly.

The morality in the game is more grey than I expected so far, I like it.

did this come out already? I thought it wasn't for a few more days..

>Sekiro
>better than Bloodborne

Yeah...but no

>moved to Epic game store
lol

>release game early for pre-orders
>gets onto torrent sites 2 days before the real launch
>people just download it instead of buying it

What you said is interesting because video games can be one of the best mediums for allowing the players imagination to enter into the story telling process. Any good game gives you parts of the story and let’s you tell your own parts.

That said, some great Lovecraft game would be crazy. I think that blood borne is an excellent example, but I know that Lovecraft stories have a lot of other content besides the Cthulhu/cosmic horror stuff. There’s other, more subtle elements of horror that would be incredible to see in vidya horror form.

It’s a far reach, but we will see more in our lifetime.

It's the best in its class. You should actually play it

This. Re4 was also somewhat lovecraftian.

>WHY CANT THEY MAKE GOOD LOVECRAFT GAMES

same reason theres not so many good lovecraft films. Most deal better with "influences" than straight adapatations.

So you have these game developers go

>DUDE. NO ONE HAS MADE A GREAT LOVECRAFT GAME. A DIRECT ONE. WE ARE GOING TO.

>OK senpai, what about the gameplay?

>...shit, uh...

>funding?

>....fuck it. Lovecraft fans will love the references. We'll shoot for a D ranking on metacritic and fund it with less than five million dollars.

Explains everything we've gotten the past twenty years in the industry

>OK senpai, what about the gameplay?

Books aren't games. There are going to be a ton of concessions if you're trying to convert something like At the Mountains of Madness into a game. The only one that semi-worked was Shadow over Innsmouth because the story does play out somewhat like a game plot but even that couldn't be stretched for 8 hours.

>"le epic incomprehensible extradimensional beings that are le sooooo strong and powerful you go crazy looking at them" is a limiting premise for a game

The reveal of the epic incomprehensible monster should come at the end of the game. Everything should lead up to that in an increasingly unsettling and disturbing investigation. Think LA Noire, but instead of a typical murder mystery, you're investigating some weird little cult at the beginning and end up finding cosmic horrors that basically breaks the protagonist's psyche.

?

Attached: 9CC0CAE1-9CB4-45B7-A732-E42A99666417.jpg (220x308, 24K)

>same reason theres not so many good lovecraft films
Do you mean straight adaptations of the original stories or films heavily influenced by lovecraft? I thought Bird Box was a pretty good lovecraftian horror movie.

I like the point about video games being an excellent medium for players to enter the storytelling process; I like that a lot myself, too. I think though, that with a really solid Lovecraftian game, that "inserting" oneself into the story would come from choices and seeing the results of those choices, not JUST from progression. As an example, something like Telltale's Walking Dead or Borderlands games...that's not a great example, but something like that. Those games were very much driven by player choice, instead of just filling everything with bullets and as far as a Lovecraftian game is concerned, that's what would draw me in, personally...choice and consequence.

Bloodborne was a really neat game, totally loved it. I jumped into that game the day it came out....I hadn't read anything about it, avoided YouTube vids about it, just wanted to jump in blind. The cosmic horror element REALLY blindsided me as a result and that was pretty cool.

>we will see more in our lifetime.

Totally excited to see more down the road, yeah. That's a genre of horror I absolutely love, I'm running a D&D 5E campaign that's very based on cosmic horror and my own writing; it's been really fun exploring that side of storytelling and whatnot. Always did have a soft spot for it.

I think that bloodborne excels with its lovecraft aesthetic because it has a solid base as a “Haloween themepark action RPG” wherein every single horror archetype or cliche is implemented seemlesly and all works 100% fine with every other aspect of the setting.
>sorcerers
Pthumerian elder & Keeper
>ghosts
Cainhurst & Chalice Dungeons
>zombies
Pthumerians
>werewolves
Yharnamites
>spooky forest
Forbidden Woods
>lakeside house hiding a great evil under the lake
Burgertown
>aliens
Great ones & Emmisaries & entire nightmare frontier
>vampires
Cainhurst
>jumpscares
yarhar’gul & central yharnam
>various spider centipede and crawly phobias
every insect enemy in the game
>lovecraftian themes?
Layered nightmare dimensions & Great Ones & Fishing Hamlet
If you can name a horror cliche it is probably in bloodborne and I’m amazed how they have you ascending a vampire tower 1 minute then descending through Shadow Over Innsmouth then next second.

Attached: 1557089272248.png (1896x4870, 979K)

What if game developers had better technology for making things that the player's brain has pronounced difficulty understanding?

Attached: file.png (640x644, 1.01M)

runs like shit

>Like Sea Creatures, Aquatic settings and themes
>Tired of DUDE CTHULU LMAO
I just want cool Sea Monsters

Attached: king_shark.jpg (620x659, 78K)