What flaws from BOTW does the sequel need to fix, in order to surpass OOT as the GOAT?

What flaws from BOTW does the sequel need to fix, in order to surpass OOT as the GOAT?

Attached: N64 Zelda.gif (500x500, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/XypAqyS5
youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Enemy variety, rewards variety, musical instrument, dungeons with different themes

Actual gameplay instead of a self-wank open world

fpbp
yikes

It's impossible, the truth is that OOT was so mindblowing for it's time that no matter how good BOTW 2 is, it will still be recognized as the best game of all time

More enemy and boss variety
Actual dungeons instead of autistic shrines
Musical instruments
A fucking hookshot
More creepiness without being edgy

actual dungeons
actual item progression
way way more enemy variety
botw hardly felt like a zelda game without dungeons and a bunch of items to fuck around with

weapons that dont break after 3 hits

Dump the weapon condition meme like seriously, i want a Zelda game not some fucking Minecraft

More and better waifus.

literally

dungeons

This, also a memorable storyline. Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time & Wind Waker all had great storylines with extremely memorable moments, despite the fact that zoomers never give them any credit

I don't understand? both of those post are the same thing. so which is it.

this NEVER became a fucking problem. i kept having to dump weapons in favor of better ones cause you got so many so often.

what the FUCK are you guys doing that you run out of weapons and complain about a literal non issue?

make no changes that would make it like the previous games
>no conventional dungeons
>don't remove weapon fatigue
>etc.
zelda fans literally have no idea what they want, don't cater to them

they're literally not

What if they made it so you had a weapon that'd never break that you replaced with a stronger version throughout the story, but you could also grab breakable but stronger versions of weapons off of enemies? It'd fix people throwing fits because they keep wasting durability of good weapons on shitty enemies.

Stop pandering to waifufags and anime retards. BOTW at some points is written like a bad anime.

> Literally a Japanese game with a fanbase mostly comprised of women
> Crying meaningless buzzwords about how much Japanese culture offends you
Fuck off Sony fag

Though i'm a zoomer i agree. BOTW's plot feels a little lackluster, it's not bad at all and it's full of memorable moments but it just lacks something previous mainline games had. I can't put my finger on what it is

This right here is what I mean, stop pandering to this guy.

Actual themed dungeons and a big 20-30% twist like Light/Dark Worlds or OoT's 7 year jump.

I don't mind the concept of shrines, there's just too god damn many of them and the vast majority are too simple. Give me ~50 shrines that are longer and more difficult than the botw ones, plus proper dungeons instead of the retarded piss easy and short guardians

It just needs actual dungeons and some real intricate towns & cities peppered throughout the map.

The big twist is going to be that Link disappears during the game & Zelda spends the story trying to find a way to rescue him

Ditching weapons every 3 minutes is lame as fuck too. Also, most the weapons are laughably weak. Your telling me a fucking iron broadsword is going to shatter from killing 6 bats?

Won't be that impactful unless the world changes. Same Hyrule, meaning its going to feel less special. The only way they could really achieve that is a ton of ancient technology just rising from the ground that are whole dungeons/cities

>musical instrument
Jesus fuck please NO.

Attached: 1561039657064.jpg (700x700, 451K)

>they're literally not
>both want something to do with gameplay

Attached: 1533169498122.png (1104x879, 509K)

She looks like a Gelfling here.

If BotW2 doesn't have dungeons, I'm going to KILL Iwata.

Zelda. Remove Zelda and make Paya the main heroine.

soul

Side quests that are actually interesting and give rewards besides fucking rupees.

retarded memer

I'd say BOTW was an excellent frame work. I think they just need to add a layer to everything

>weapons can be upgraded or repaired
>A deeper in game economy, ways to farm money /items passively... generally more things to spend money on
>More spells and effects from cooking
>New ways to traverse the enviroment (maybe the bird thing from skyward sword)
>other continents (some that might require sailing or another means of aquatic transport)

the frame work is there they just need to build upon it.

Add side quests that have an actual sense of progression. More questlines like the building one, less like the one where you carry ice through a line of enemies. Who the fuck thought that would be fun?

If you're gonna make it an open world game, make the world interesting and interactive. Don't just copy paste a buncha empty grassy fields, call it Hyrule and call it a day.

>make no changes that would make it like the previous games

ah, so don't make it good, got it

It lacks cohesion because you can view it out of order

Off topic but how the fuck do I damage Phantom Ganon in the Forest Temple in OoT?

But every open world game has an overarching plot that still retains cohesion. Even fucking Skyrim retains cohesion. Chrono Trigger was a game that you could end earlier than what is "intended", but still retains cohesion. BOTW's plot just feels like a jumbled mess.

botw's plot is literally just go kill calamity ganon and save zelda

that's it everything else is filler

The story will be centered around time travel, so we probably just be experiencing Hyrule thousands of years in the past to destroy Ganondorf

>every zelda game plot is literally just go kill ganon and save zelda

ftfy

except you can't go straight to ganon and murder him in other games

I think one mistake they made was really pushing that idea of 'you can beat it from the beginning'. All that did was render everything else, as you said, as filler. Their mistake was that NOBODY does this their first playthrough. You may find one or two people that got the Paraglider and ran STRAIGHT there, but the other 99.99% of people beat all 4 temples beforehand. Most still beat a bundle of shrines, got the master sword, and did a whole fuck ton of things before going off to finish the job. Overboiling the plot to 'just kill gannon' (who was a lackluster boss, both in design and combat) just rendered everything else pointless and directionless.

>ad hominem
that was rude don't you think

Attached: 1551053298070.jpg (891x1280, 259K)

T. Literal Brainlet, OOT, WW & MM had amazing storylines regardless of what zoomers like yourself try to downplay them as. TP is where the series started to take a nosedive because Aonuma was too focused on developing games to pander to the complaints of Zelda fanboys instead of innovation & trying to make a good game

>Playable Zelda in the sense where a single player can switch back and forth between her and link to use the different abilities they have to solve a few select dungeons before they get narratively separated, or having full out optional co-op with plenty of cute interactions between Link and Zelda journeying together the whole way. I'd be content with either approach.
>Active story telling rather than collectible flashbacks, compromise on open world and make it a bit more linear (I mean relatively speaking to BotW1)
>Keep weapon durability but reduce it by about half. Perhaps Zelda can have a magic ability to mitigate / greatly reduce weapon break speed as well, so you can have blessed/enchanted weapons but she can't just do it all the time and just bless everything you pick up.
>Nerf cooking and potions. Environmental challenges (like heat, cold, climbing, swimming, etc) can be made more meaningful by nerfing cooking and potions, which will also help direct the player more in linear fashion while still making it technically possible to get to mid to late game areas for those who seek that challenge. Player abilities should primarily be scaled by leveling up equipment, but still keep it possible albeit much harder to find rare powerful ingredients to help you go anywhere in the early game.
>Top world significantly changed, towns be made bigger like they are growing. Have the narrative facilitate this end by time skipping forward or something else like that.
>Go with the magic tech arm idea for link, gib hookshot
>Dungeons
>Greater enemy variety
>More significant side quests

I agree people exaggerate how bad it is, maybe they were playing the game like retards or just want to get attached to a single weapon and use it throughout the whole game. But there's no changing how people feel about this, and it's inevitable they at least tone down the durability mechanic a lot and balance the game in other ways.

Attached: takezelda.jpg (1085x949, 140K)

retarded memer

I'll be ok with playable Zelda if they don't make her just female link to pander to retards because it would both make absolutely no sense and be a waste to create an original playable character.

you're being very rude. keep this up and i'll be speaking with your parents after school

Attached: 1434453137143.png (466x492, 137K)

1. Zelda needs to be some sort of companion, playable or not. It wouldn't even be the first time that Zelda has actually tagged along on an adventure either.
2. Meaningful power up progression. BotW was fine getting all the powers you needed at the start, because you could go anywhere in the world. So it would have been silly to gate off progress. But they can instead do something else to gate progress, while keeping the world free flowing
3. An explorable underworld. While the overworld is free roam, the underworld has sections that can't be explored if you don't have the proper upgrade, if that is arm or runes, whatever.
4. Weapon system changed. While I didn't mind the durability system, it started to feel arbitrary at the end game because most of the time you could easily exchange your current weapon for a fresh one with only minutes of work at best and seconds at worse. The trial of the sword did make good use of it, but that is pretty much the only thing that did. As it stands now, they should replace it with a new system that encourages you to explore and swap weapons often still, but without the tedious inventory management the previous system ended up becoming. Something like parts swapping. Also
5.More differences between weapons and classes of weapons. Why are a one handed club and sword the same, aside from the ability to set the club on fire? Let's also get in some moveset differences so that you actually want to pick up that Bat instead of the slightly higher damage Claymore.
6. More things to find. Shines were good for what they wanted to do, but that time has passed. They will need to think of other reasons to really explore around, both above and underground.

>& Wind Waker all had great storylines
>Wind Waker having a good story

I totally agree making Zelda a female Link either mechanically or narratively speaking would be retarded. By "mechanically" I mean her just using a sword and arrows just like Link does, and by "narratively" I mean like if they did some feminist shit where you just play as Zelda and are working to save Hyrule or a captured Link as if it's an inversion of the norm. Both of those things are shit tier taste. "Like wow it's gender role inverted this time so interesting" -- nope kill yourselves retards.

sure thing summerfag

Weapon durability: It is bad design to have a durability system and no means to repair them. Even if you have to go to blacksmith and there is limited number of repairs.

Cooking and health recovery: bring back bottles. My go to example is FF15 you set up camp and go to restaurants and cooking gives you stat boosts for x amount of hours. Better ingredients recipes give you better boosts. This way you do potion crafting and you have choose health, stamina or other short term boosts that stack with cooking. Bottles you have to use without without pausing the game.

Dungeons: some shrines scattered around is fine. There's a sun painted on the mountain in the southern half of the map I wanted to be able to shoot that with fire arrow and have cave open up. The shrine of courage, wisdom,power should have had actually dungeons to explore that fit with those themes.
If I have access to all my tools from the beginning then why did shrines always center around one? make me use all the tools.

Classic Zelda items: Fishing rod, Lantern, Bug net, Hammer etc

Combat: Twilight princess had extra skills you could unlock. Maybe after zora sidequest someone teaches you spear techniques.

It needs to have soul like that gif of yours does. I honestly don't understand why devs don't make N64 era graphics when other retro things like pixel art seems popular, early 3D looks way better than the shit we have now.

>early 3D looks way better than the shit we have now.
Fuck no.

Fuck off faggot. It's aesthetic as fuck and practically bursting with soul. Higher fidelity =/= better-looking.

Attached: 1534593807548.png (799x598, 752K)

Enemy variety, terrain variety, actual fucking dungeons, and for fucks sake change the UI.

Wind Waker has the best version of Link, Zelda & Ganon in the entire series. The storyline is excellent, the problem is that it was blantantly unfinished & Nintendo originally wanted to have a time-skip with Link getting older by the halfway point of the game. But couldn't figure out how to make a teenage Link work with the Art style

Also, fuck the food system. Making it is fun, being restricted to exactly one upgrade is not.

My biggest complaint from the last one was lack of any real villain. They turned Ganondorf into an early 00's superhero smoke monster. The stakes felt meh.

>Wind Waker has the best version of Link
TP
>Zelda
ST
>& Ganon in the entire series.
OoT, didn't bullshit you with a gayass speech.

I was bummed that there were no caves or crypts to explore in the first. Felt like a sterile world with shrines shoehorned in for padding. A weapon crafting system and a magic meter are the biggest wants though

> TP fag
> Shit taste
Not even fucking surprised, you faggots are the FF8 of the Zelda fandom.

>toy story 2

based

Postgame content. Instead of designing an entire map under the assumption that a player could go to any point at the very start, have some areas clearly designed for 40+ hours in. Extreme cold/heat you need significant gear to offset, enemies twice as fast and immune to stun or flurries from weaker weapons, missions with some real challenge and reward.

Also tweak the food and healing abilities. Like sure, you can horde dozens of full recovery meals before a battle, but the healing effect goes at roughly the same speed as a hot spring so you can't just shovel food down to instantly offset every bit of damage you take.

Attached: 1550318113710.jpg (638x629, 44K)

fuck dude just the hell up about dated graphics =
"soul", this is like the worst meme opinion on Yea Forums. Nintendo already rebels against the idea of graphical improvement wherever they can as often as they can just because it's cheaper to develop and they know they can't be hardware competitive in that area.

No but your opinion is so stupid and contrarian sounding you prob inherently prefer dated graphics regardless of art style. Graphics can be improved while maintaining good art style without keeping us in the N64 era forever. That toy story pic looks like shit.

You look like shit, dumb tasteless nigger.

>seething this hard over TP having the better Link
lmao, stick to FF8 ya faggot.

>Twilight princess had extra skills you could unlock
For a game about you being an elite knight of Hyrule and having fucking amnesia, they really dropped the ball on the memories you collect not having Link "remember" moves.

The rewards you got for beating the Divine Beasts were shit. Revali's Gale was the only acceptable one because it actually facilitated travel and was fun to use. The Zora one was just a fairy, the Goron one was just a perfect block (which is already in the game), and the Gerudo one just trivialized all higher level enemies.

Cope, TP is the MGS4 of Zelda. Both praised immensly when they came out, but universally shit on over time because people realized they were nothing more than shameless fanservice wank

>TP is the MGS4 of Zelda
I thought it was FF8? WWcucks can't think straight.

More combat and more attacks. More areas like Hyrule Castle and that one spire fortress or the Maze.

Thats really it, I don't even care about the number of Shrines or if there are any at all.

>SS is the MGS4 of Zelda.
FTFY, SS explained more than it should have and the series is worse off because of it.

Your thread is gay faggot.

Tricky... Because botw was the closest its ever gotten since gta 4.

Im gonna say its not possible to surpass oot at this point. But probably match it. Be the oot of our time so to speak.

I cant really think of anything on botw that would constitute a fundamental game design flaw. Maube you should rethink the question. Perhaps what ypu would like to see in botw ... Because it sounds to me that you are meaning to review this game for what it could be, rather than what it is. Which is a bad way of looking at art.

I agree with this. Not only was oot near flawless game design (as many games are today), but oot was in a special place at a special time. It was at the cusp of understanding what it means to be a 3D game, and Oot defined what a 3d game is truly supposed to be.

If a game even matches oot in effectiveness, it will have to be implemented very damn well on a technology that is up and coming. VR, AI (fast machine learning), photo-grammetry perhaps, more advanced procedural generation, clever uses of voxels etc...

-better water traversal option than fucking ass korok leaf+raft
-Better sand traversal option than the fucking Sand Seal
-no glider, something else
-nerf the rains effect on climbing
-transformations like in MM
-songcraft as is traditional for zelda. A violin for Link would be cool
-and *inhales* DUNGEONS

I'd prefer they just change course and ditch the open world thing and do something along the lines of pastebin.com/XypAqyS5

Attached: maxresdefault(7).jpg (1280x720, 97K)

They're not really open, they're linear games set in a sandbox

Unrelated, quick question to anyone who has the game on Switch. Can you change text language in the menu? Or do you have to change the language of the entire console if you want to change the text like in the Wii U version?

Reminder

Attached: D8VN12qVsAI8iA8.jpg (1200x1200, 207K)

>all these subintellects saying enemy variety

The basic bokoblins are more complex than any other enemy in Zelda history by a longshot. What you want is variety of enemies in terms of visuals, not in terms of mechanics.

Attached: 1552243676819.jpg (955x767, 71K)

>no glider
the glider was fun af and made travel quick without being as OP as flying
>transformations
why?

>ditch open world
DOUBLE WHY?

>that
>N64
This shit's no different from calling literally any pixel sprites "8-bit graphics"

Attached: 1556429579450.png (252x238, 3K)

>IGN
WW is a trash game that is nowhere near LA quality.

There's no reason why we can't have both
And AI complexity doesn't matter, 3 hours in you have already seen most of the different stuff they do. There's only so much you can do with the same enemy design

More of everything, basically. More enemies, more bosses, more dungeons, more NPCs, more equipment... Now that they have the world map fleshed out and all the game systems in place, I'm confident that BOTW2 will be everything we could hope for.

The 7 year jump in OoT is still so fucking cool to me and I wish a Zelda game would do something like this again.

I think they should have made it so you could only ever carry a couple weapons at a time, so you're never managing inventory and constantly having to think on your feet to either disarm enemies or having to actually rely on things like bombs and the environment to help manage/kill groups of enemies. It would have been far more interesting to have your tools limited. As it stands, you can hold so many weapons that it just becomes pure inventory management annoyance all the time. The real problem is they didn't take the system far enough.

It really can't
The magic of the first "open world" after many consecutive failures with Nintendo listening is gone and the childhood nostalgia for OoT is too strong.

> 3D Zelda Rankings
> Kotaku: BOTW > MM > WW > OOT > TP > SS
> NintendoLife: BOTW > OOT > MM > WW > SS > TP
> DigitalSpy: WW > OOT > MM > TP > SS
> IGN.Com: OOT > BOTW > WW > MM > TP > SS
> DigitalTrends: BOTW > WW > OOT > MM > TP > SS
> WhatCulture: BOTW > OOT > MM > WW > TP > SS
> GameInformer: OOT > BOTW > MM > WW > TP > SS
> GameFaqs: OOT > BOTW > WW > MM > TP > SS
> GiantBomb: BOTW > OOT > WW > MM > TP > SS
> GameSpot: OOT > BOTW > WW > TP > MM > SS
> Famitsu: OOT = BOTW > WW > MM > SS > TP
> Ranker: OOT > MM > WW > TP > BOTW > SS
> GameRadar: BOTW > WW > MM > OOT > TP > SS
> RPGFan: WW > SS > OOT > BOTW > MM > TP
> Yea Forums: OOT > BOTW > MM > WW > TP > SS
Seethe more

>Seethe more
I'm on your other thread lmao lemme call you gay there too

>WW above TP
id swap them but i havent played either of them in so long i cant even make an informed decision

Why were there no Darknuts in BotW?

spbp

I think WWHD changing the Triforce quest to be less of a tedious slog, quick item swaps and the Super Sail make it better than TPHD. TPHD was pathetic.

You're expelled now nigger

Attached: 1561521225060.gif (294x213, 518K)

>that
>n64
too many polygons
try again

Attached: 1552158705045.png (1021x764, 1.11M)

>Iwata
Sorry, your a few years too late.
Aonuma is the man you should murder.

>The 7 year jump in OoT is still so fucking cool to me and I wish a Zelda game would do something like this again.
What if BoTW 2's big twist is Link time traveling back to the point when the timeline splits? Have a Back to the Future scenario where at one point in the game he comes across the Hero of Time doing his thing at the Forest Temple for example. Would be a good way to have a somewhat different Hyrule to explore.
youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU

Attached: botw Link at the Forest Temple Ruins.jpg (1294x1493, 799K)

what did they do with tphd?
my guess is that they just updated the graphics and left it the same otherwise

more than four fucking dungeons would be nice

quite possibly the greatest video game commercial of all time

Added in stamps for Miiverse that now have no use, added a new item, shortened the Wolf sections

>shortened the Wolf sections
GOTY

Ranker coming with the only legitimate list

They didn't shorten all that setup before you even get to the first dungeon/mini dungeon. Everything in the town just goes on too long.

There was a button the Wii U gamepad to switch between Wolf/Link forms too, quickens that up

I thought they did shorten it a bit, cutting off one of the pointless areas and making you only have to herd goats once or something? I can't recall

>Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time & Wind Waker all had great storylines
Is this sarcasm?

5?

Whatever they did, it wasn't enough.

That lazy fire sprite is triggering me

Why not just use OoT's? Its much better and already exists

Nothing BOTW was a shit concept so it’s impossible to make it good

Actual fucking dungeons, darker story, actual conflict in the world aside from the main quest.

more than 5 enemies, ditch the weapon degradation meme or at least give us permanent versions of each weapon type that are upgradable, bring back items like the hookshot boomerang etc., actual dungeons, more unique shit to find in the open world, more randomized events. honestly they just need to take the base of BotW and reincorporate some of the stuff they removed from past Zeldas. not every single thing but after a point the game just feels like Breath of the Wild and not a Zelda game.

>Good enemy variety
>Good variety of actual bosses and not 4 Ganon blights
>6-8 big dungeons that have different aesthetics and themes and actually have enemies
>Mini-dungeons that don't all look the same
>Make a proper, balanced healing system. Not several fucking pages of cooked meals and apples to heal near infinitely. Limit it somehow.
>Do away with the terribly balanced armor defense system that made enemy damage really inconsistent
>Make every weapon balanced, with their own strengths and weaknesses or unique gimmicks and changes in the moveset, instead of just making them break
>Give Ganondorf an active role and give him voice acting
>Have a bunch of rewarding items to find from exploring, like rings that give defense, great fairies that give you new attacks, medallions that give passive abilities, etc
>Instead of making the overworld mostly silent, just have several songs it cycles through or fits the area. No pretentious single piano notes shit.

I think what bothered me equally as much was how you can just go find super strong weapons and cheese things. Your damage should grow over the course of the game and be more consistent.

BotW was a lot better than OoT.

>Good looking dungeons
>Engaging Story
>Interesting boss design
>Repairable and upgradable equipment
>Weapon/Shield take damage only from blocked attack/bad parry
>Human sized major enemy (Ghirahim)
Basically take the good part from Skyward Sword

>startling lack of enemy variety
>vast majority of unique content is in shrines completely separated from the open world and each other shrine
>weapon degradation is annoying and could be replaced with something better like passive state damage i.e. small weapons do more dmg vs small monsters, heavy weapons do more dmg vs large monsters, sharp good vs fleshy, blunt good vs armor, fire good vs cold enemies, etc etc. and each is weak vs its opposite
>didn't utilize the mechanics of the open world to create region sized challenges that would've trumped dungeons in every way
>no mechanics that create a feeling of player permanence beyond seeing the divine beasts beaming hyrule castle
>cooking is too abusable, a hassle, and you can't cook from recipes
>there's no journal or note feature for recording information you want to remember later just stamps

Attached: 43437888976856.jpg (960x960, 98K)

Deflect his energy balls back at him with your sword until he gets hit, then attack him while he's down.

It would unironically be great if they took inspiration from Cadence of Hyrule. The enemy variety of that game is absolutely excellent.
The combination of old classic and new enemies of that game is stellar. If BotW had all of those enemies then no one would be able to complain about enemy variety.

>Cadence of Hyrule

Attached: 1561334249234.gif (282x322, 52K)

Breath of the Wild is amazing.

People say the Rito section sucked, but the pure comfiness of the region's aesthetics and the new arrangement of Dragon Roost makes me feel at home. Rather than the gameplay itself, the feeling you get is more important here.

Zora did have the best "story" though.

Make Zelda have a helping role (like shell follow or you or some shit like that) so I can watch her ass 24/7

>Zora did have the best "story" though.
Gerudo*