So, why aren't there any working cars in Fallout after 2? Did the world somehow lose the technology...

So, why aren't there any working cars in Fallout after 2? Did the world somehow lose the technology, even though random mechanics from small towns had the knowledge? Did the Enclave and Brotherhood not know anything about cars despite having an abundance of computers, resources and working robots and futuristic choppers? That last part was a joke, but seriously what is the taboo about having cars in a series inspired by Mad Max? And, yes, just to be clear for the kiddies, working cars are canon in old Fallout,

Attached: highway.jpg (452x325, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_5
nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49042
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is only 1 working car in the entirety of fallout 2 , and that is after finding an incredibly rare part.
New Vegas shows the NCR having trains and trucks, so cars likely do exist.

>There is only 1 working car in the entirety of fallout 2
According to the "Fallout Bible", New Reno and NCR city had working cars. Maybe a few hundreds. I don't remember. They also had thousands of residents. It wasn't all in the game, most things in the game are scaled down.
Up to you if you consider this canon or not. But if you take the game literally there's a lot of things that don't make sense.
Van Buren would have been more realistic with stuff like that. Cities would have had "sub world maps" of sorts (and random encounters) IIRC. It would have been clear that they are big.

Fossil fuel is gone, and the only car we ever see running uses a shitload of cells that are already in short supply and better used killing things, and factions with resources have shit like Vertibirds anyway.

I imagine that since the cars are nuclear powered car and radiation shielding is limited in the world that drivers didn't live long.

the engine doesn't handle moving quickly very well, so they just prevent the player from having any way of moving quickly

Power armors and vertibirds are the vehicles in the Fallout universe. There should be no other. Vbirds for long distance travel and power armor for everything else.

Ghouls could drive though.

fuck vehicles, they just allow devs to make worlds even emptier

Because fallout after 2 is bad

cars are probably too hard to program in their shitty engine

Attached: itjustworks.png (1164x655, 708K)

2 is bad and the reason new ones are shit

Diesel engines run fine on vegetable oil, and it is't very hard to make.

I know it's a spinoff, but there are player-driven trucks in Fallout Tactics.

The map wouldn't have been very appropriate for it anyway.

in 3 and forward is probably just due to not being competent enough to make a working vehicle but the games dont need it either
in universe they would have probably also made some junk cars with all the left over power sources and such

why?

Bethesda's engine can't do cars. Even guns in Fallout 3/NV are just modified spells from Oblivion.

I think most combustion engines were phased out in the US in the Fallout universe. Oil shortages was one of the things that lead to the great war.

If they ever manage to have vehicles they should put ladders on them to show how far they've come.

>fuck open world, they just allow devs to make worlds even emptier
fixed that for you

It’s when fallout became the wacky low brow setting it now is. I have no idea how people can hate f3 for “ruining the series” when it is the direct logical result of 2 being the “popular” fallout.

that's true but vehicles just gives them excuses to make them "bigger" by just expanding the empty zones

Isn't this allegedly a major problem Starfield is having?

The guys in charge of the lore before Bethesda took it outright state that the fuel isn't the problem, but all the tiny parts that runs the cars. Most of those parts are hard to replicate or come by. Do you think some fuck no where would have a spare alternator or a ignition coil that fit with the car you're driving?

I'd imagine there's a factory with spare parts somewhere in the US that wasn't destroyed.
Mr. House could also start making parts if he has the blueprints.

It is true that for some reason in Fallout 3 and 4 the people on the east coast are unusually retarded for some reason.

Oh and on top of this, energy fusion cars is a relevantly new invention and there only a handful of it sold before the nuke drop. Finding parts for a new car that is fresh off the factory line is going to be hard.

The key word is if. Detroit, following the whole car factory heaven meme, would probably be the only place that has that much spare parts, but its in the middle of the country, far away from both the West and East coast. I do agree that House COULD make those parts, but would he want too?

>they can't do cars
why? modders can and the TES games have horses

i meant to say that the devs couldnt make vehicles work

>implying
billions of cars across the world, human population being a tiny fraction of that

even if right now every single car in the world exploded, there would be enough spare parts from the wrecks to make a fully functional car for every single person in fallout universe

horses are creatures so its okay if they look weird
cars are static blacks and having half the car go underground because you drove over a rock would be too weird looking

This is assuming the parts are interchangeable between many models, or how they're not broken. Here is my source if you don't want to take my word for it.

fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_5
>Probably not too many, but I don't know the exact number. The real problem isn't fuel, it's mostly tires and other degradable parts that have gone to the dogs in the past 100 years. For every two hundred or so people, there might be one working vehicle, and even "the local clunker" wouldn't be up to factory specs.

you have it backwards, vehicles let devs make the world as empty as it should be instead of not being able to take 10 steps without tripping over another vault.

There would be caches of car parts around but to find the exact part you need that fits your model of car could be extremely difficult. That can still be an issue if you own a rare or classic car in our globalized, industrialized world. Once all the tires are used or rotted I don't know how anyone in the wasteland would be able to make more.

>can repair laser and plasma rifles, power armor, airships, robots, power plants, various small arms, appliances, water purification plants, perform many advanced medical procedures including gender reassignment and facial reconstruction surgeries yet
somehow nobody can repair a car

Wat

Attached: 1514497199419.png (576x699, 194K)

> Wander around Nu-Fallout
> Intact airplane just standing there
> Nobody has scrapped it or touched it
> Despite having people knowledgable about laserguns and robots people somehow can't grasp the concept of aerodynamics

> Diamond city
> Over a 100 years old
> Still scrap sheets of metal just lying there
> Still unsalvaged parts and cars everywhere

Huh

There's a chop shop in FO2. Surely it's not the first car they dealt with?

>Here is my source if you don't want to take my word for it.
I never doubted your quotation, I'm questioning the writers reasoning

first mass produced car was over a century ago
before that people still managed to make cars
there's really no excuse besides shitty writing or poor game technology

Diamond City is completely exposed to the tall buildings patrolled by super mutants with rocket launchers. It makes no sense. I'm sure there was a brainstorm session at Bethesda, someone raised their hand and said "Let's build a city inside Fenway Park" and that was all the thought that was put into it.

What do they eat in Diamond City?

Bethesda put logic last and WACKY ADVENTURE first.

The extremely small amount of crops the city's unmentioned unnamed serf class frequently harvests. Also apparently it gets its water from a 10 year old because wacky

baseballs

Answer is pretty obvious, EMP wave after the nukes hit killed all cars in America, only small patches where the fields did't strike would have working automobiles, although that would make bigger problems seeing how all the energy weapons and power armor still work.

They grow crops using city water despite there being no municipal government.

1 was not perfect either man, and the differance between 2 and 3 is orders of magitude beyond the differance between 1 and 2.

Not only was character creation/investement turned into a joke, all depth of storytelling dissapeared. Feral ghouls in the thousands, endless hordes of super mutans, despite the fall of the master, no development of technology, sosiety, agriculture, nothing, despite the large time gaps. The world in the bethesda era is no longer alive. It's static and unchanging. The closest we get to anything happening at all, is the institute, and the institute makes no god damn sense.

There is also no longer any scale to the world. in Fallout 4, you kill deathclaws at a time where you'd still struggle with radscorpions in 1 and 2.

And nothing has real consequenses anymore, just like in elder scrolls.

Yea, 1 was better than 2, but only sligthly. 3 was way worse than 2, and 4 was way way way worse than 3. At this rate, 5 will be worse than 76, seems impossible, but they'll find a way.

You realize that this is an example of working smarter, not harder? If anything, that's competence right there

or how about they would simply change their dogshit engine from 1996

Sure, but that's not material to my point

Because it's probably not up to them. Some bean counter has probably shot down dozens, if not hundreds of requests to be able to build a new engine. It's part of the reason Anthem failed.

nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49042
or you could have cars powered by invisible explosions spawned behind the car

One would think they would look at Id Tech, which Bethesda owns through ID.

Aren't the cars in the xre mod propelled using invisible explosions?

id doesn't even use idtech for other id games, it's made solely for DOOM

>nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49042

No, that is called being lazy and/or working in a very shit engine. Not only did they have to prosess the tram as if it was a person, they had to litterally have the tram be a part of a person for their shit hack to work.

Working smart is having the tram use a tweaked version NPC pathfinding instead of wrting a new one from scratch.
Working shit is having the tram be a litteral person with a differant model.