Why is this console so beloved? All of its games were ported away and many were never exclusive to begin with...

Why is this console so beloved? All of its games were ported away and many were never exclusive to begin with. Even the Saturn has more exclusives.

Attached: sega-dreamcast-set.jpg (1278x697, 53K)

pen pen tricelion.

BASED AND PENPILLED

sega fans are weird. there is some weirdo that posts on Yea Forums sometimes about the saturn being the best console ever.

because if you were a kid in the early 2000s who had one you genuinely had a shit load of fun with it

Because back in its day those games were exclusive and it was revolutionary
>graphics that made the N64 look like the PS1
>online
>screen in the controller

i had one and that is true but it was completely outclassed by every other gen 6 console including a lot of the best games getting ported. also the controller is total ass.

As an Fighting game nut most of the DC games are arcade perfect and had very sturdy sticks that were easy to customize.

>screen in the controller
Which you could take out and play like a tomogochi or keychain tetris

Attached: doco.png (140x161, 34K)

idk, it just has a weird aura, like an oddity out of time

also Shenmue was goat at the time

I don't know about everyone else, but I loved my DC because I got it as a prize after getting first place in a Pokemon TCG tournament in my city.

It had plenty of exclusives, it's just that it was only actively developed for over a period of 18 months or so.
PS4 has never had as good a year.

I wish sega was still around and sony was dead

and the battery immediately died but you never replaced it because it used $20 watch batteries then they beeped loudly every time you turned on the console.

and you could even connect two together for multiplayer

god I wish consoles and PCs kept innovating beyond "muh graphix"

>but it was completely outclassed by every other gen 6 console
PS2 brute forced the competition on sheer volume of games, but if we're going to include the Dreamcast in the competition that gen, I'd pick it over the Xbox and Gamecube easily.

>including a lot of the best games getting ported
Just some of them, seeing how great the quantity = quality level was during its short lifespan. And in most cases those ports were inferior to the hardware they were intended to run on, with a few notable exceptions (Skies of Arcadia has better sound and feels more "right" on the Dreamcast, but the Game Cube version definitely makes some needed improvements.

>also the controller is total ass.
I disagree and I feel its reputation has been blown out of proportion while the crappiness of the DualShock is glossed over. Sony didn't get that one quite right until the Playstation 4, even though they've been on the right track since the beginning when it comes to the button and trigger placements.

The switch is peak innovation though

For some people it is. Mine stays in it's dock all the time because I rarely have an opportunity for handheld play so I wish they would give docked mode a little more love

It's sad that they got cocky and fucked up bad so fast

Funny about the Switch.
I've been saying for years that it would be cool to have a handheld/console hybrid, and the Switch is both so close yet so far off from what I'd imagine one to be. A peak such innovation for me wouldn't require a dock or a receiver on devices that have built in Chromecasts and such, would have a much better battery life and form factor in carrying around, and would be no hazzle in linking up with other ones/wireless controllers in front of your tv for multiplayer.

Because Sega was badass but run by total retards. The games and consoles were cool and would have done better if they didn't have so many add-ons (Genesis), surprise launch (Saturn), or shaky financial support (Dreamcast). In an alternate reality, it would still be Sega vs Nintendo instead of Microsoft or Sony, and that would be the best of timelines.

ds2 is 10 times better than the dc controller. not only did it actually have 2 sticks (with click) and 4 shoulder buttons it also had analog face and shoulder buttons. it also helps that using it didn't feel like torture like the dc did due to the shape and sharp edges on the dpad.

>streamshit
>innovation
Innoperable

Like I said, Sony had the layout right, but it feels so cheep and hard on the hands. The Dreamcast controller might not be perfect, but I could game much longer on it without hurting my hands unless it was a party game or a masher of some sorts.

user, don't tell me effortless device to device streaming wouldn't be an innovation more worthy than the Switch. What I was alluding to is, we're not quite there yet, and the Switch feels like an "in-betweener" to me.

It was the first console as good as arcades and most of the games are good.

>playing ports

In the Dreamcast's case ports to other systems frequently run better.

SOUL: the console

I personally like Saturn more than Dreamcast, but I'll give some particular reasons:
1. Games are easy to download and play
2. Everybody loves the underdog
3. There are some creative/fresh games that are worth looking at, these include titles such as: Shenmue, Seaman, Ikaruga, and Space Channel 5.
4. The fact that many of the consoles titles were ported affects it's legacy up to a point. I agree that certain games like Sonic Adventure 2, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue 2 were ported quickly enough for them to not count as exclusives. But ruling stuff like Jet Grind Radio and Shenmue based on remasters that came more than a decade after is pushing it.
5. It's a cool way to get peoples attention when they come to your apartment, house, or whatever. lots of normies are aware of what a Dreamcast is, and it's rare to get a chance to play one. I find I usually have some explaining to do when a friend asks things about my Saturn.

i only used my ps2 to play GTA and watch movies. I spent countless hours playing Soul Caliber, PSO and NFL2k online, etc.

The 32x and mishandling of the Saturn killed Sega. The Dreamcast was doomed from the start.

Sega was a nice middle ground between Nintendo's bing bing wahoo and Sony/Microsoft's obsession with boring realism.

it had some video games
I played em

Had one at launch in '99. It was a wild, heart-breaking ride. Hearing the news at the start of '01 about it getting discontinued was shitty, but I had already dumped tons of time into it and half expected the news anyway.

This. I still have two CvS ASCII pads and a green goblin stick. It was a wet dream for anyone that liked arcade style games back then. Add in great features/graphics/online and it was impressive for the time.