Goes bankrupt

>goes bankrupt

Attached: Next-Gen-Consoles-Cannot-Match-PC-Power-Says-Crytek-2.0.jpg (1200x800, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/articles/2008/08/28/cryteks-piracy-crysis
techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-26-crysis-2-racks-up-three-million-sales
youtube.com/watch?v=jegGp3gXO1o
forums.tomshardware.com/threads/crysis-the-most-overhyped-game-ever.837169/
youtube.com/watch?v=w1qV-5Rm3Bw
maldotex.blogspot.com/2011/09/tesselation-myth-in-crysis-2-el-mito-de.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Source?
They deserve it but I can't see any news to this.

Why they deserve it?
Hunt showdown was pretty good.
Also their financial problems goes back to 2016

That's what you get when your ceo was a turkroach for a long as time.

>Hunt showdown was pretty good.
Cheap dogshit deathmatch game made from the discarded assets of an actual game they were too incompetent to finish

Is it true that EA had a hand in fucking up their plans for CryEngine 3?

Their whole gimmick was "muh graphics, muh engine" but there was no point in learning how to use that since the advanced features wouldn't work on consoles. Then current gen happened and the cryengine started looking very average.

>grow to a HUGE company on the backs of PC fans
>spit right into their faces declaring that consoles are the futre and PC players are all filthy pirates
>make shitty console games with sloppy PC ports
>go from technology leader to wartered down grabage to deal with limitations
>start jumping on the latest memes like F2P, multipler only FPS, VR

>go from technology leader to wartered down grabage to deal with limitations
but crysis 3 still looks better than most new ps4 exclusives

Attached: crysis33.jpg (3840x2160, 3.76M)

I was gonna post, but you basically covered most of it

I liked Crisis, but fuck them and the stick they had up their ass over piracy. Piracy made crisis as popular as it was and everyone but the dumbfucks at crytek knew it.

Go back to your shitty containment board /pol/tard
It was atmospherically and thematically good also had a pretty good gunplay.
The bosses are fun and interesting it's pretty decent

seething kike angry at based germans

Horizon and uncharted look 10 times bettee than that piece of shit, and are actual games instead of glorified benchmarks

>looks
Cool, but it has zero destructable environments, everything is fucking static.

>that outdated as fuck lighting model
Holy Copeoli

Maybe thq nordic can pick them up and give crysis a re-release with multi core support.

>muh /pol/

Attached: image.jpg (185x272, 5K)

i wish
i loved crysis but it was an abusive relationship

>Hunt showdown was pretty good.
fuck off with that piece of shit

they are t*rks tho aint you know that?

>based germans
they are cucked turks

It would be nice to see some use for their engine

They made a mistake when they sued Star Citizen for switching to the lumber yard engine.

cope and delusional

Attached: unfarted.jpg (1920x1080, 176K)

Attached: horizon powa.jpg (1920x1080, 577K)

>calling turkish sand niggers based Germans
No. Fuck t*urks, they should be gassed.

/pol/ really needs to get the fuck out

Attached: Rumors lul.png (1881x941, 459K)

Why don't you try it you faggot

this fuck them

Attached: God of War_20180429150649.png (1920x1080, 3.85M)

duplicate

Attached: kong.png (1836x269, 76K)

Attached: Detroit_ Become Human™_20180525232528.png (1920x1080, 2.98M)

Attached: Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180428163910.jpg (1920x1080, 325K)

they are literal turks
google it up discord tranny

is there a single console game with a LOD distance of more than 3-5 feet, FOV higher than 50 and that isn't full of postprocessing filtered garbage to make up for how bad it actually looks?

>Hunt showdown was pretty good
From the first trailer it looked like a (semi-)open world bounty hunting and monster killing game.
The "final" product is just last man standing with some stealth on a handful of different maps.
They tried to postpone bankruptcy by suing Scam Citizen devs. I'm sure they will be successful.

>defending roaches

When you see a roach, you kill that fucker and call pest control. Not defend them.

only the guys doing the management

>Cool, but it has zero destructable environments
Yes it does. Did you even play it?

Since the devs have to work on fixed resources, they have to prioritise stuff. Most players will be sitting 6 feet away, so high LoD would be pointless. Doubt that's gonna change anytime soon.

im not a polack you moron. turks were very aggressive hardcore shitposters at least on /int/. erdoshit or Yea Forums mods have blocked their ISPs since a few years ago for some reason but they arent anyone who should be treated like oversensitive americunt sjws

I’d have turks over their lesser central asiatic brothers the anglos

Do these guys even make games anymore? All i remember them doing was the original farcry and the crisis series.

Unfortunately I did, the trees are made of indestructable adamandium alloy.

>love PCs
>decide to create the best pc game engine possible
>find investors
>drop tens of millions on dev studio at minimum
>practically your whole personal net worth as well
>spend years gathering the right talent and building engine and first product
>NEETs pirate your games on this platform
>shift focus to console, where it doesn't happen nearly as often
>NEETs become indignant, quote Marx to justify their entitlement
I wonder why anyone bothers developing anything for PC

Crysis sold millions of copied & allowed Crytek to have enough money to buy multiple studio's, but Crysis 2 flopped on consoles & PC, that was pretty much their death knell

the thing is, no one wanted a Crysis that was dumbed down for consoles, console gamers wanted to play COD & PC gamers didn't want a console port

>Is it true that EA had a hand in fucking up their plans for CryEngine 3?
At the very least, EA are the reason nobody is allowed to use any Crysis assets in CryEngine projects. This is why you haven't seen any of the Crysis games ported by fans to the new versions of CryEngine, for instance. Crytek own the trademark for Crysis, and the engine, but EA own the copyright on all the assets.
>>grow to a HUGE company on the backs of PC fans
I think you're overlooking the part where the 2008 GFC almost killed them and force them to kill every in-development game except Crysis 2 and Ryse and some of their Eastern European stuff like Warface, but sure.
>spit right into their faces declaring that consoles are the futre and PC players are all filthy pirates
Never happened. Crytek had a massive piracy problem. Literally no sane person disputes this. They also had a giant fucking problem in the form of spiraling game budgets vs a PC audience that wasn't expanding particularly quickly. Crysis 2 cost a lot of money to make. Crysis 1 didn't sell anywhere near as well as its fanboys pretend it did.
>make shitty console games with sloppy PC ports
Are you for real? They continued to make PC games with console ports that BARELY FUNCTIONED. Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 are very clearly PC games.
>start jumping on the latest memes like F2P, multipler only FPS, VR
All of those were good ideas. Valve did the exact same thing. But Crytek's mistake was that they wanted to keep making singleplayer games, wheras Valve abandoned singleplayer games immediately. Crytek put a shitload of resources into singleplayer FPS games like Crysis 3 and Homefront 2 and then singleplayer VR games like Robinson: The Journey instead of milking the MP titty.

>but Crysis 2 flopped on consoles & PC
This is untrue. Crysis 2 sold enough to justify Crysis 3 in EA's eyes. It was a Dead Space situation basically. The second game sold decently, but it was on thin ice. So EA gave the developers another chance to turn the series around.

>NEETs pirate your games on this platform
They always did but somehow it made them into the biggest PC dev company at the time despite that.
5 million sales on PC alone?
Not enough!
This is called publisher/dev entitlement where they try to justify unreasonable greed.

>shift focus to console
>almost go bankrupt
>come back crawling on all fours to PC chads
Heh

If their engine wasnt a mess to learn it woundnt happen.

>Unfortunately I did, the trees are made of indestructable adamandium alloy.
All smaller trees can be chopped down in Crysis 3. And the chopped down pieces can be chopped up further, a feature that was missing from Crysis 2. In case you've forgotten, all large trees are indestructible in the original Crysis. It's only palm trees that can be chopped down.

>Crysis 1 didn't sell anywhere near as well as its fanboys pretend it did.
It sold 5 millions on pc alone, 2 and 3 never reached that number combined user.
Crysis 1 had about 20 million in budget, while 2 and 3 multiple times than that and that's why Crytek failed.
Also it's a fact that Yerli was whining about pc people being filthy pirates.

>owns the timesplitters IP
>employs some of the top staff that worked on timesplitters, like the sound director
>does not make another timesplitters

Gee i wonder why you go broke

>I liked Crisis, but fuck them and the stick they had up their ass over piracy. Piracy made crisis as popular as it was and everyone but the dumbfucks at crytek knew it.
Being popular means fuck-all when you're making games that cost 60 fucking million dollars. Dead Space was "popular", but people didn't actually BUY Dead Space, and that's why EA shitcanned the series. I'm not joking. EA's own data showed them that people liked to talk about Dead Space but people didn't actually want to buy Dead Space games because "It looks too scary" and "I might buy it if I could play it co-op because that would be tolerably scary for me."

The lead engineer behind Crysis 2 later became the lead engineer of Doom 2016, replacing John Carmack. Notice how Doom 2016 is basically the Crysis 2 of Doom games? Yet Doom 2016 was a giant success despite having no mod support, being multiplatform, etc.

They too are static shit so I don't know why are you so elitist about it.

You miss the point, why expend all the effort when a sizeable portion of the market is just going to steal your product anyway?

>It sold 5 millions on pc alone
It sold 3 million copies in 3 years. (2007-2010). Crysis Warhead sold 1.5 million. That was unsustainable. Crytek were 100% right about piracy being a problem. Crytek almost went fucking bankrupt in 2008. I don't understand how people can be so dense about this.

>Crytek almost went fucking bankrupt in 2008
That was because of the glabal financial cisis you dumb faggot, pirates have existed since the 80's and will ALWAYS exist.
It sure as fuck didn't help them trying to shit on an entire market segmet because of this paranoia, did it?

>Crysis 1 had about 20 million in budget, while 2 and 3 multiple times than that and that's why Crytek failed.
How exactly were Crytek supposed to solve this problem? Crunch more? Gears of War 1 cost 12 million. Gears of War 5 costs in the 100 million range. There's a reason nobody makes PC exclusive AAA games. It's fucking SUICIDE. You need to put the game on every platform possible. And if you're lucky you'll be successful.

this
I loved crytek when they made far cry 1 and crysis 1 but everything since then has been absolute trash

>They deserve it
I agree cuz they badmouthed PC gamers, who helped them to grow. They should look at how cd projekt red handled that whole thing. They are being loved by all.

Dumb turkroach

>Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 are very clearly PC games.
No need to lie user, we believe in you.

>It sure as fuck didn't help them trying to shit on an entire market segmet because of this paranoia, did it?
It did help, though. Crysis 2 sold enough copies that EA were willing to fund another game. Kinda like how Doom 2016 sold well enough to fund Doom: Eternal. Now we see whether Doom Eternal sells.

>They should look at how cd projekt red handled that whole thing.
Massively downgrade your game for consoles?
Fail to release the mod tools you promised?

I would love this.
OG Crysis runs like complete shit in 1080p fullscreen. For some reason it locks at 24 fps.

Who is lying? Crysis 2 regularly runs in the teens on PS3/360. It is blatantly a PC game designed for PC hardware and ported to consoles. With an atrocious framerate on said consoles. It maxed out PC hardware at the time, and its DX11 update was bleeding edge.

Crysis 3 on consoles vs PC is night and day. The console versions are missing a huge swathe of visual effects. They run somewhat better than Crysis 2 did, but they still don't run well. Crysis 3 was a technological triumph on PC that still holds up 6 years later. It's a fucking PC game and anyone who says otherwise is absolutely delusional.

You're probably using an HDMI cable. Old CryEngine issue.

Crytek's mistake was spending all their money on moving to consoles when they were loved as PC devs. Everything in your post is bullshit and you're an absolute retard.

is this recent? is this why there hasnt been an update for hunt showdown in months? what happened?

Attached: 1512159517153.png (738x537, 437K)

>over valued tech stocks
>somehow linked to multi trillion dollar toxic mortgage collapse

No son, game devs go bankrupt when they stop making games and try to make money printers based off other popular money printers.

>Crytek's mistake was spending all their money on moving to consoles when they were loved as PC devs.
Remaining PC exclusive was not financially viable.The same people behind Crysis 2 were behind Doom 2016. Do you also think Doom 2016 was wrong to be multiplatform instead of PC exclusive. What exactly is your business model for Crytek or id Software to release AAA Doom/Crysis games that are PC exclusive, cost 60-100 million dollars, and don't flop?

Load of shit, it's not hard to make a console game look better on PC. Look at GTAV. It's a game made for ps360 and looks miles better on PC than consoles. Doesn't make GTAV a PC game. You're dumb.

>based germans
Literal t*rks is what they are you dumb amerimutt

>Remaining PC exclusive was not financially viable.
>what is Total War series
>what is Stellaris
>what is civilization
>what is Doom series
>what is Quake series
>what is Unreal series
etc..

>somehow linked to multi trillion dollar toxic mortgage collapse
Look at all the big plublishers stocks of that time you uneducated faggot, they all nosedived real hard.
This impaced video game investment bigtime.

Attached: EA.jpg (116x330, 8K)

Crytek never stopped making games though. They've released a new game every 2 years since about 2011. Crytek's problem was twofold. Their games were expensive. Their games were underperforming. People in denial about this also tend to be in denial about the financial status of the Dead Space series. Those idiots who whine about how big mean EA refuses to keep funding a series that wasn't successful because they don't understand how budgets or finance or marketing works.

Crytek's mistake was trying to create big budget singleplayer non open world FPS games in a market that didn't really want such games.

Why do you think Arkane are stuck making multiplayer games and co-op stuff like Wolfenstein Youngblood now? Why do you think all of Bethesda's singleplayer games have underperformed or flopped? The market doesn't want games like Crysis. They don't want games like Dishonored. Or Prey. They want open world timesinks like Far Cry. Crytek made the mistake of thinking that focused game design was better than open world bloat. Audiences want open world bloat. Crytek thought singleplayer was better than multiplayer. Audiences want multiplayer. Crysis was always doomed as a series because it's out of step with market tastes.

big if true
f

They had what, on its face, appeared to be a total garbage snoozefest that nobody would've given two shits about.

Then the game hit piratebay and people went, 'woah hey this is actually kind of fun'
And then they sold over a million copies of the game, one of the best selling games of all time
And then they turned around and said fuck pirates, fuck pc
Because they thought the pirates were stealing sales from them, instead of acting like free advertising
And the company has been going downhill ever since.

>Look at GTAV. It's a game made for ps360 and looks miles better on PC than consoles.
Not really. The PC version of GTA V is fairly close to the PS4 version. Have you actually seen the console and the PC versions of Crysis 3 side by side?

Are you seriously arguing that these look the same to you?

Attached: Crysis 3.png (1489x723, 2.26M)

Here's a good practice for how to not balloon your budget to ridiculous levels 101:

Do not have a development team larger than 20-30 people

The end

DOOM succeeded because it was rebooted and catered to zoomers who never played the first games. Imagine if DOOM was a PC game that was loved universally for being a PC game and then 2 years later they come out with a dumbed down console DOOM sequel with an insulting PC port.

Hunt showdown is pretty great, fuck off you shills.

>>what is Doom series
Multiplatform since forever. After John Carmack left, Tiago Sousa from Crytek took over. That's why Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are so CryEngine-esque.
>what is Quake series
Quake whateveritscalled is not a AAA game in the traditional sense. If Bethesda made a new AAA Quake game with the kind of budget a singleplayer game requires, they would not make it PC only.
>what is Unreal series
Is this a joke? Epic made Unreal multiplatform precisely due to piracy. Epic were 100% right about piracy being an issue but a lot of PC gamers stuck their fingers in their ears.

>goes bankrupt
>again
sasuga crytek-sama

You're comparing PC to ps360 lmao, compare GTAV PC to ps360 and call it "fairly close". if Crysis 3 was on PS4 it would look "fairy close" too. How did you think this was a good argument

It's piracy! Damn pirates making Crytek go bankrupt!

ign.com/articles/2008/08/28/cryteks-piracy-crysis

>people actually think they have the money for another Crysis game

Not that user. He talked about the original PC exclusives. And, he is right, so you are wrong.

lmao are you a crytek employee who still thinks all the problems in the marketplace are due to pirates?

fucking lmao do you see anyone else struggling to sell and move products because of piracy? No. It's only the garbage studios with garbage development teams making garbage games who whine about piracy.

>They continued to make PC games
>warface doesn't even have an FOV slider

it sold millions you retard... SOLD MILLIONS

In any business, you need to get back a huge return for all your R&D costs asap so that you can start working on the next product. If the money is earned back slowly, you won't have enough to kickstart the next project and it will all be wasted on running costs.

shit i remember back in the day downloading crysis in 52 parts from rapidshare. i had to manually go down two floors and reset my router to get a new ip from my isp so i could download the next part. so i spent an entire afternoon downloading the game while going up and down two flights of stairs just to play crysis.
it was totally worth it though.

Attached: booty bustin.gif (384x288, 200K)

>They had what, on its face, appeared to be a total garbage snoozefest that nobody would've given two shits about.
You are retarded. Crysis was the massively hyped spiritual successor to Far Cry, the game that revolutionized the FPS genre and is the design foundation for literally every modern open world game that features outposts. People bought Crysis because it was the next game from the creators of Far Cry. No different to how people bought Bloodborne because it was "from the creators of Dark Souls".

How old are you?

>And then they sold over a million copies of the game, one of the best selling games of all time
Crysis is not "one of the best selling games of all time". Crysis was also very expensive. It did not sell huge numbers by 2007 standards. Nor by its budget's standards. Crysis 1 was a success, but it didn't sell anywhere near as well as contemporaries. And Warhead sold way worse.
>And then they turned around and said fuck pirates, fuck pc
>Because they thought the pirates were stealing sales from them, instead of acting like free advertising
Literally only fucktards regard that kind of piracy as "free advertising". Crytek didn't need "free advertising". They needed SALES FOR THEIR SUPER EXPENSIVE GAMES.

>Imagine if DOOM was a PC game that was loved universally for being a PC game and then 2 years later they come out with a dumbed down console DOOM sequel with an insulting PC port.
What do you mean by "insulting PC port?" That doesn't apply to Crysis at all.

Those first 3 aren't very close to the kinds of game Crytek made though, no? Add to that grand strategy is rather niche in the overall market. Those games are PC based almost purely because of their control scheme (And isn't Civ on the freaking ipad now?). The latter 3 were all released on consoles as well too right? I just don't think those are good examples of PC exclusives.

nobody gave a flying fuck about crysis when it released. It took months of word-of-mouth advertising for it to start selling, and that word of mouth came from pirates trying the game out

dumbfuck crytek employees deserve going bankrupt, baka senpai

Yeah it does. Crysis 2 was a console game with an insulting PC port. They improved it eventually due to the backlash but it was too late, everyone hated it already.

>Not that user. He talked about the original PC exclusives. And, he is right, so you are wrong.
Except the entire argument was that REMAINING PC exclusive was not financially viable. Can none of you retards comprehend basic English? Why is this so common in PC gaming communities?

Being PC exclusive isn't a problem

300 man development teams and putting half the budget into advertising instead of making the fucking game is the problem

Eastern European game developers typically don't have FOV sliders. None of the STALKER games had an FOV slider. The original Far Cry didn't have an FOV slider. The original Crysis didn't have one. Eastern European FPS devs also like weirdly narrow FOVs for some reason. Good example is the Metro series. The idea that non-adjustable FOV is some kind of "console" design trait is a weird belief common among underage PC gamers.

Wasn't because of Crysis 2 massive usage of tesselation on mundane objects that don't even need it, what made AMD add the option to limit tesselation in their drivers?

Attached: crysis2-tesselated-mesh-barrier.png (1239x800, 1.79M)

whats even more insulting is how great the cryengine used to be.
People joked about needing a 4000$ pc to run it but that was kinda only true for maxing out crysis.
the engine scaled incredibly well. even if you couldnt max crysis at the time a 240GT for example or an 8800gtx could easily run it at 60 fps on minimum settings.

Microsoft will buy them, screencap this.

it was the sloppy implementation yes. funnily enough amd did tesselation before nvidia even had support for it. also opengl could do it years before even direcxt had and implementation for it.

Yeah there was that too, they tried to make this shitty console port seem like a super demanding PC game with shit like this

>None of the STALKER games had an FOV slider.
Maybe because they had 90°, which was the standard for pc games and was not needed unlike console trash ports which had 55-60° standard fov.

>Yeah it does. Crysis 2 was a console game with an insulting PC port.
There's literally nothing wrong with Crysis 2's PC port. I mean, nowdays it has some issues with vsync on modern displays but the PC port is fine. It's not really a PC port in the traditional sense. Crysis 2 was built for PC. Why do you think it runs so badly on consoles? A game built for consoles would have run at a stable 30fps on consoles. But Crytek didn't want to compromise their game design for console hardware.
>Wasn't because of Crysis 2 massive usage of tesselation on mundane objects that don't even need it
No, this was a misconception perpetuated by idiots who didn't understand how 3D rendering worked.

That was the case in crysis 1, I don't know if they also did it in 2, since nobody played 2

Also the water which was not even visible most of the time.

>There's literally nothing wrong with Crysis 2's PC port.
Yikes

>A game built for consoles would have run at a stable 30fps on consoles.
delusional, plenty of console exclusives run like shit

What is it with this guy, it's like a literal crytek shill is in here defending all the shitty things the company did and downplaying anything they actually got right

Nope. PC exclusive would be financially viable in the future, thanks to Steam, GOG, and so.

Tell me, why would other publishers bother releasing more games on PC than the console? Because of money!

Attached: open-gaming-alliance-chart-2015-report[1].png (625x469, 29K)

There was never a need for FOV sliders until consoles started going narrower and narrower. If every game had a decent FOV no one would be complaining except competitive faggots.

There's the NEET entitlement.

>Maybe because they had 90°, which was the standard for pc games and was not needed unlike console trash ports which had 55-60° standard fov.
Except STALKER's default FOV is 55°. Crysis 2 is, coincidentally, also 55°. How... how do you not know this?

Must be the last paid employee that they have.

crysis 1 didn't even have tessellation or DX11

So 100% what Epic did and look at them now.

Something interesting I discovered is that Crysis had a bizarrely tech-illiterate fanbase. It's a large reason why the CryEngine modding community always had problems. Most Crysis fans knew jack-shit about the underlying tech and just wanted to take screenshots of beaches and palm trees.

Are we talking vertical or horizontal?

It explains why Epic is jumping in the PC bandwagon by rushing to make an Epic store at the last minute.

>and are actual games instead of glorified benchmarks
That's a Crysis 1 meme you parroting casual

Nah, FPS games on consoles during that period invariably targeted 30fps and stuck to it as much as possible. Crysis 2 on consoles has shocking performance. You'd be hard pressed to find a contemporary FPS game that runs as badly on consoles.

CryEngine had shit modding tools, has nothing to do with the community you idiot. You must think very highly of Skyrim's modding community.

>boot up crysis half a year ago on a new rig for the "will it run crysis" times
>first level still looks real fucking good
>60 fps lock and lipsync is wonky, but still
Too bad that game goes downhill at the end

Stalker's 55º is vertical, I'm pretty sure of that. That's about 85º degrees horizontal on a 16:9 resolution.

Notice how nobody can name actual problems with the PC version of Crysis 2?

Aliens completely ruined the game

The tesselation is a problem.

PC gaming revenue is NOT driven by singleplayer AAA experiences like Crytek wanted to make.

>Eastern European game developers typically don't have FOV sliders
all my favourte shooters are eastern and have FoV sliders kys

that's because nobody played crysis 2 lmao

See
Including the whole tesselated underground sea.

>But Crytek didn't want to compromise their game design for console hardware.
They clearly did simplify the suit applications though

Vertical. All CryEngine games use vertical FOV. And STALKER uses vertical, too. In fact, I think most Eastern European games use vertical FOV. Point being, classic Eastern European FPS games didn't have FOV sliders. The idea that not having an FOV slider somehow made you "not a PC game" is a weird modern concept. Literally nobody would argue that the original Far Cry was a "lazy console port", yet it had no FOV slider.

techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/3

From the same basic vantage point, we can whirl around to take a look at the terra firma of Manhattan. In this frame, there's no water at all, only some federally mandated crates (this is an FPS game), a park, trees, and buildings. Yet when we analyze this frame in the debugger, we see a relatively large GPU usage spike for a certain draw call, just as we saw for the coastline scene above. Here is its output

That's right. The tessellated water mesh remains in the scene, apparently ebbing and flowing beneath the land throughout, even though it's not visible. The GPU is doing the work of creating the mesh, despite the fact that the water will be completely occluded by other objects in the final, rendered frame. That's true here, and we've found that it's also the case in other outdoor areas of the game with a coastline nearby.

Attached: city-trees-water-mesh-620.jpg (620x496, 284K)

>The tesselation is a problem.
The game didn't launch with tessellation. It's a very expensive DX11 exclusive feature and also there's nothing wrong with Crysis 2's tessellation.
>Including the whole tesselated underground sea.
This never happened. How the fuck do people still believe these myths?

They don't have it cuz it was never needed. 55º vertical is wide enough, not narrow at all. You can also change the FOV through the command line if you really wish to

One of the biggest pieces of feedback they got from Crysis 1 was that fans found the nanosuit to be too confusing and fiddly. You might brush this off, but it's a critical clue. Kinda like how one of the biggest pieces of feedback Visceral got from Dead Space 2 was that the game was too scary, and if it had co-op mode, audiences would feel more comfortable buying it.

>This never happened. How the fuck do people still believe these myths?
Litereally the post above yours

anything under 90 degree horizontal is puke-tier fov

Ideal is 100-105

Fucked up shoehorned afterthought DX11 features, just more evidence that it was a shitty console port

The game behaves differently in the SDK and also when debugging options are turned on. This also lead to the myth that Crysis 2 heavily tessellates flat surfaces.

>Fucked up shoehorned afterthought DX11 features, just more evidence that it was a shitty console port
Does that mean Crysis 1 was a shitty console port with its "shoehorned afterthought" DirectX10 features?

I'm starting to get the feeling basically nobody in this thread understands CryEngine, how it works, or the games that were made using it.

blame EA

Kill yourself Iran shill.

That's what you get for catering to console monkey you shit eating fetishist German niggers

Crytek earned a pretty shitty reputation in Germany when it came out that they owed their employees several weeks of pay but continued to employ their roach clan buddies who did nothing but collect money every month. No person with anywhere else to go would work there these days.

Notice how there are literally zero corroborating reports? Notice how nobody in the CryEngine modding community stepped forward to agree with the assessment? The claims about Crysis 2 tessellation were fundamentally flawed because the game doesn't behave that way during normal conditions.

Tessellation was very expensive. You see something similar with ray tracing where people get ass-hurt about it. They claim the games are "poorly optimized" because this expensive rendering feature runs poorly and they don't think it adds much of a benefit.

>I'm starting to get the feeling basically nobody in this thread understands CryEngine, how it works
Nobody understands how it works thanks to the sub par documentation.That's why people happily jumped ship to UE4 or even fucking Unity.

The point is that even if people pirate your game they will be talking about it and this will make the game reach to new people that would probably not be interested otherwise.
Also bunch of people who pirated it may buy the game if they liked it

That is a fair point. Crytek's biggest mistake was always shit-tier documentation and community support. Of course, I think a lot of stuff went very wrong around Crysis 3.

Crytek didn't really have a proper asset store. And the assets for Crysis belonged to EA and EA would come down like a ton of bricks upon anyone who used Crysis assets in a CryEngine SDK product. Imagine if Half-Life 2's assets had been owned by EA, and no Source engine projects were allowed to use Half-Life assets. Crytek provided some SDK resources some of which were taken from that canned game Redemption. But the inability to use Crysis assets was a huge dampener.

I've recently started to realise that the PC gaming community is full of retards. The whole Epic Games thing has really driven it home. We've reached peak parody with literal WHAT HAS TIM SWEENEY EVER DONE FOR PC GAMING? The PC gaming community is full of extremely vocal people who don't understand game development, game budgets, game anything. They don't understand the history of gaming, where gaming is going, demographic shifts, or any of that stuff. They are in complete denial about super obvious stuff.

>CryEngine modding community
Kek

Cryengine didn't get outdated by PS4 you idiot, Crytek just never made a next gen game with a high budget

Also their talent left to places like Id Software

You sound like some clueless fuckwit who works in the gaming industry and gets high off his own farts

I bet the founders now regret not having taken that M$ deal years ago, their company would have still been relevant to this day

The modding community was extremely unhappy with the Crysis 2 SDK being late, and being, you know, unable to render terrain properly due to Crytek never testing that engine version's ability to render terrain because literally all the terrain in Crysis 2 is a static brush. You would think that anyone with experience using CryEngine would complain to Crytek about the engine rendering tessellation instead of culling it. But no, that never happened. Because it was glaringly untrue.

Crysis never had a big piracy problem, the ceo of crytek was greedy & looked at Call of Duty & said "we should be selling 20 million copies"

but only Call of Duty sells those numbers

>that faggot in denial that even denies the proven underground water
I am amazed by how much of a dumbass shill you can be

Attached: c4a.jpg (238x192, 14K)

>Cryengine didn't get outdated by PS4 you idiot, Crytek just never made a next gen game with a high budget
Technically they made Homefront: The Revolution. Which is a damn nice looking game at times. But inconsistently so due to its horrific development cycle after Crytek failed to pay people for 4 months and the entire studio shut down.

Attached: 223100_screenshots_20160903193141_1.jpg (1920x1080, 552K)

Epic got saved by Tencent, Crytek refused to be brought out

>Crysis never had a big piracy problem
Yes it did.
>the ceo of crytek was greedy & looked at Call of Duty & said "we should be selling 20 million copies"
Citation? Crysis wasn't selling enough copies considering how rapidly budgets were expanding. This is why Doom: Eternal isn't a PC exclusive. 3 million copies in 3 years is "this entire team is fired" material. I'm reminded of those people who couldn't understand why Alien: Isolation selling 2 million copies was a fucking disaster. There is a serious problem in the gaming community where people don't understand how much games cost. They think that developers are "greedy".

Crysis 2 sold less than 1 did despite the higher budget & multi-plat release

I didn't even know about the pirate numbers, but if fucking minecraft encourages you to pirate it until you feel like buying or not then it can't be that bad
I always thought of piracy as advertisement, people play it and will talk about it with their friends and maybe from one pirate you can have about 2 new buyers
The bad part of this is that it only works if the game is actually good, if it's bad you're doomed

The under-terrain tessellation is completely untrue, though. Anyone who has actually worked with CryEngine will tell you the same. The testing method was flawed, and that's why people are forced to quite an old article with nothing backing it up instead of more recent sources.

>Epic left PC because of piracy

Man i fucking wish, have you not seen the epic game store?

YOU DUMB FUCK

Crytek should surrender themselves to CDPR and exclusively work on the shooting mechanics and PC version of the next Cyberpunk

Crytek has been unofficially ruined since the Amazon deal. Not that anybody who ever had to work with their engine has gone back to them anyway.

And they are also getting fucked by another hack company. CIG of course.

Are there even any CryEngine games not made by Crytek in development at this point?

No it didn't

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
It was one of the best selling PC games of all time. Particularly for the years around when it released - the majority of games that have sold better were also released more recently. I think back in 2007 it was either top 20 or top 10.

To say that it had a piracy problem really goes to show how fucking delusional you - and crytek - were.

For starters: Nobody could play the fucking game because of the systme requirements. You needed a fucking supercomputer to run it and nobody wanted to risk buying the game only to find out their computer couldn't handle it. Secondly, the game sold like fucking hotcakes once people started pirating it and playing it.

What a joke that crytek actually thinks piracy hurt them. I'm glad this shitty company tanked itself

Actually, at this point we start getting into sell-in vs sell-though pissing matches. If we assume that the 3 million sold between 2007 and 2011 for Crysis 1 is sell-through, one is forced to acknowledge that Crysis 2 managed to sell 3 million copies by July 2011, mere months after release. eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-26-crysis-2-racks-up-three-million-sales

There's also the fact EA greenlit Crysis 3. If Crysis 2 had sold worse than Crysis 1, they never would have greenlit another game. Crysis 1 did not sell better than Crysis 2. That people believe this is just another example of the Crysis 1 fanbase being super bitter and super in denial.

Crysis 1 took three YEARS to sell 3 million copies. That is not good AT ALL by EA's standards. Warhead sold even worse. Crysis 2 sold a lot better. End of story.

Scam Citizen

It's almost like the gaming industry is headed for a crash because this level of inflation isn't sustainable. Games don't need to be $10 gorillion budget movies.

Minecraft is a multiplayer game. Crysis is a 6-10 hour long singleplayer FPS game. The economics and social dynamics are very different.

Didn't they switch to the Amazon branch?

Lumberyard is CryEngine.

Epic never left PC. What are you talking about? Epic transitioned to multiplatform development in response to piracy. That's why Fortnite is on everything, including mobile.

Funnily they are only alive because amazon pays them to make an engine that literally not a single dev uses

>Consolefags AND Crytek saying people only gave a shit about Crysis 1 due to the graphics
>Crysis 2 gets made with consoles in mind with worse gameplay AND graphics until they patched in DX11 support
>The game ends up selling worse than 1 did
>Crysis 3 ends up having amazing graphics but the gameplay was basically Crysis 2.5
>Nobody gives a shit about it

They really do deserve it tbqh

Attached: 1523232130063.jpg (522x514, 63K)

> I'm reminded of those people who couldn't understand why Alien: Isolation selling 2 million copies was a fucking disaster.
The only people wrong here are the companies trying to be Hollywood when gaming isn't that popular actually, because Persona 5 also sold that and was a great success for Atlus.

i liked all crysis games

>Epic never left PC.
I can't find Gears 2 and 3 on pc?
Can you show me on what store they are on.

It used to be, back in 2015. They've been doing their own work on the engine for something like 4 years.

You have a point there but I don't think that entirely disregards my whole argument
I still think you can get buyers from pirates in a single player game, though it may be a lower amount of people

>own work on the engine for something like 4 years.
And they dropped it 2 weeks ago because the foundation is a pile of endless trash.

>For starters: Nobody could play the fucking game because of the systme requirements.
Crysis ran very well on low end hardware, just like Far Cry before it.
>You needed a fucking supercomputer to run it and nobody wanted to risk buying the game only to find out their computer couldn't handle it.
This is untrue.
>It was one of the best selling PC games of all time. Particularly for the years around when it released - the majority of games that have sold better were also released more recently. I think back in 2007 it was either top 20 or top 10.
I'd like to point out that Crysis barely outsold Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64. A game made by like 15 people. On a dying console. That Crysis was considered "one of the best selling PC games" was a testament to how game budgets were rapidly outstripping what the PC market could sustain.

Here's a reality check for you. Crysis and STALKER were kinda peers. The piracy problem for STALKER was so bad that STALKER 2 was going to have always online DRM. They were also planning on taking the series multiplatform. It got cancelled after the CEO had a midlife crisis, but the point remains. Piracy was a huge problem. The PC market not being large enough for expensive AAA games was also a huge problem. Thjis is why PC exclusives costing 50+ million are basically non-existent.

Developers and publishers ARE greedy. And entitled as fuck.

For starters, and I've said it a few times now, having development teams of 300 people with $60 million dollar budgets (or higher) is fucking retarded. You morons are treating it like it's hollywood when it isn't. These aren't movies, and the customers aren't quite as fucking mouthbreathing retarded as the people who watch TV and movies and swallow literally anything the industry shits out.

Good riddance to crytek, and I hope to god Epic goes with them. Stay the fuck out of my hobby

>Are there even any CryEngine games not made by Crytek in development at this point?
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts is coming out later this year. Looks rather promising.
youtube.com/watch?v=jegGp3gXO1o
CryEngine is not as popular as Unreal or Unity, but it's way more popular than Source, and it's more widely used than id Tech and Frostbite and other publisher-exclusive solutions.

>>Epic never left PC.
>I can't find Gears 2 and 3 on pc?
That was Microsoft's doing, not Epic's. Same deal with Shadow Complex being XBLA exclusive for a few years.

>For starters, and I've said it a few times now, having development teams of 300 people with $60 million dollar budgets (or higher) is fucking retarded.
Graphics are the single largest factor in audience purchasing decisions. Developers who make games that look "cheap" or "dated" are in serious trouble. You have to spend big to play ball. There's no other choice. The AA market is finding some footing under THQ Nordic, but AAA games are expected to constantly improve visually. Constantly be bigger. Have more content. Be more mechanically refined.

>That was Microsoft's doing, not Epic's.
Wrong, Cliffy B was responsible after whining about pirates like Yerli.

So you are saying that normalfags are cancer and should all leave?

>Developers who make games that look "cheap" or "dated" are in serious trouble.
I can confirm that. Somewhat related: the guy who made Stardew Valley gives some great blowjobs to make his rent. $10, PM me for the alley he's working at.

CliffyB was 100% right about pirates, though. Why are people like you so in denial about this? Gears 1 was on PC. MS are the reason Gears 2/3/Judgement weren't on PC. Just like MS were the reason Halo 3 onwards weren't on PC.

Pretty sure C1 came out with DX10

>Halo 3 onwards weren't on PC.
But that one is coming out on pc, unlike gears 2/3 and judgment.
Hmmmmm......

Try making a new Far Cry game that looks like Stardew Valley and see how far you get.

Because you've been completely lying your ass off this entire thread?

That's beside the point. Crysis 1's DX10 features were the definition of tacked on, highly unstable, and so on. Yet Crysis 1 wasn't accused of being a "lazy console port". (Oh, it also had native Xbox 360 gamepad controls.)

ace of spades did pretty good around here

you just sound like a clueless dumbfuck to me

Uhh Ryse?

You do understand that Microsoft had a change in management around 2014, which resulted in Microsoft deciding to bring all their future games to PC, right? If Microsoft ever remaster Gears 2/3/Judgement, they will come to PC. Just like Gears 1 Remastered, Gears 4, and Gears 5.

Be quiet

Are you seriously comparing a multiplayer block-building game to Far Cry?

Attached: far_cry_5_joseph_seed.jpg (950x529, 54K)

Turks gonna Turk.

The dudes should have been focusing on making more software or growing their engine so that people other than them could actually use it, but no. They defected to console, halted all technological progress and then started opening studios like a motherfucker. All over the world, like 50 studios or something crazy like that, while not actually making any new games.

That's the expansionist Turk inside them. Make no sense.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 257K)

Who has been lying their ass off, and about what?

“So when I built my PC last summer, people were going on about how it needs to be Crysis ready” (summer 2007) forums.tomshardware.com/threads/crysis-the-most-overhyped-game-ever.837169/

Looks pretty hyped to me, dumb motherfucker

Attached: 6D3ED43E-9582-4438-8633-261EA35805EE.jpg (627x468, 103K)

I had more fun playing ace of spades than I did far cry (Which I pirated btw)

How many millions did far cry cost?
Wonder how many millions ace of spades cost...

Basically the rundown is this: You are a clueless retard who doesn't understand anything about the industry, and, I suspect, doesn't even enjoy videogames. Every one of your posts has screamed 'corporate sociopath only concerned with money' and for people like you, I can only wish you get the fuck out of my hobby, forever.

You make everything you touch worse.

Another victim of steam 30% cut, we need a list

It wasn't an afterthought though, and Crysis 1 was PC exclusive for years, dumb comparison

It blows my mind how a lot of modern gamers don't understand that after the huge success of Far Cry, people wanted to play Crysis. It goes hand in hand with the meme that people didn't care about the gameplay. People LOVED Far Cry 1's gameplay. The demo for Far Cry 1 was HUGE. People played it over and over and over again. Crysis was a massively hyped title akin to Star Citizen. It was a true next generation FPS experience that redefined what people expected from the genre. And like Far Cry, it was a good game. On multiple levels.

>It wasn't an afterthought though
The DX10 features in Crysis 1 very much were an afterthought, same with STALKER. DX10 was a weird API where devs kinda struggled to find justifications for using it. Also Crysis became unstable as fuck when using it. (Kinda like Assassin's Creed PC which also had DX10 features and went all wonky when they were turned on.) Oh, yea, and Far Cry 2 by Ubisoft had DX10 features and to this day shits itself if you use them.
>and Crysis 1 was PC exclusive for years
Which is telling. People like to forget that Crytek literally offered Crysis to Microsoft as an Xbox console exclusive back in 2006. Basically, they think that if a game doesn't have a console version, it's a "PC game". If it does have a console version it's a "lazy console port" or some nonsense.

>advertising rag paid to advertise and hype games has an article where they advertise and hype a game

Unlike you, I actually had my ear to the ground with normal regular people talking about the game

Nobody had a fucking computer that could run crysis, everyone talked about hoping their game could run it but probably couldn't. It took years for people to eventually build computers that could run the game, and that showed in the slow sales growth - which was also in addition and thanks to, piracy.

You just keep doing this weird revisionist history thing pretending everything went completely differently from how it actually did. You're convinced Crysis 2 sold better than Crysis 1 despite getting completely panned and destroying Crytek from that game onwards. You're convinced piracy hurt Crytek when it's the single biggest reason Crysis sold as well as it did in the first place.

You're just some dumb fucking suit who's spent too much time sucking dicks in the office to actually understand a goddamn thing about the industry.

>The PC version of GTA V is fairly close to the PS4 version

If you had a Pentium 4 with Geforce 2 maybe.

youtube.com/watch?v=w1qV-5Rm3Bw

Hey, remember when people released mods that unlocked most of Crysis 1's DX10 features under DX9 and people accused Crytek of deliberately downgrading the DX9 renderer to make the DX10 one look good? (The truth of course was that DX10 allowed those effects to run with a lower performance hit, but still, amazing how little has changed.)

>Nobody had a fucking computer that could run crysis
Crysis 1 ran comfortably on a Pentium 4 and a midrange GPU. If your PC could run Half-Life 2, it could probably run Crysis. That you think otherwise shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Can you limit tesselation on Nvidia?

You talking shit wh*te boi?

Attached: 4ba.jpg (720x478, 40K)

Most of the differences between 8th gen GTA V and PC GTA V come down to jacked up LoDs and draw distance. In terms of rendering features, it's not like Crysis 3 where the PC version has global illumination and ambient occlusion and subsurface scattering and a long list of cutting edge features, and the console version doesn't have any of them. Crysis 3 is a remarkably good looking PS3/360 title, but it's basically a generation behind the PC version technologically.

There's no reason to limit tessellation. Crysis 2 has fairly well optimized tessellation already, and curbing it fucks up all the brick walls.

sometimes you try to be an also-ran on the console and it doesn't work out
sometimes the only thing you are known for is the fidelity of sim and graphics and you scrap that for consoles
sometimes you open or buy a bunch of studios that don't complete anything
sometimes you make a qte game for micrshaft and they get all of the rights
sometimes you try to cash in on every fad simultaneously at your numerous studios that never complete a project
sometimes you try to ride the vr fad and it doesn't work
sometimes you can't make payroll at your studios and have to shed them, sometimes after not paying employees for months
sometimes you sell your technology to jeff bezos
sometimes you decide to sue a licensee for switching to jeff bezos's version of your technology
sometimes things happen to good people for no reason whatsoever

>The DX10 features in Crysis 1 very much were an afterthought
>came out on release
Also, the DX10 volumetric lighting was literally revolutionary
>Crysis 1 isn't a PC game because they at some point thought about making it for consoles
You are such a massive retard holy shit

Asking for performance reasons.

>shitters in this thread seething for muh realistic graphics

Reminder that Maldo, the creator of Crysis 2's graphics overhaul mod, directly refuted the claims about Crysis 2's tessellation.

maldotex.blogspot.com/2011/09/tesselation-myth-in-crysis-2-el-mito-de.html

>Many have urged me to solve performance problems caused by tesselation. Those problems had been "discovered" in a few sites of technical analysis.

>I was not at all agree with the analysis that those sites had been made, much less the hype that these tests had caused in the Crysis 2 community.

Maldo's tests showed that tessellated objects had very little impact on overall scene performance. End of the day, this was nothing more than ATI/AMD fans being angry that tessellation worked really well on Nvidia hardware but ran like shit on AMD hardware. So they became paranoid and convinced that Crysis 2 had been designed to run badly on AMD (in an optional DX11 patch with maxed out settings) because secret Nvidia deals or some shit.

don't you have a mario/zelda/pokemon thread to be in?

Yes user, we all know that Nvidia never would dare to intentionally gimp their competitor through their amazing GameWorks tech.

>Also, the DX10 volumetric lighting was literally revolutionary
Nah, it was the same god ray technique used in STALKER: Clear Sky. Extremely expensive in Clear Sky, incidentally. To the point it's basically unplayable maxed out on modern hardware.

>some texture modder is supposed to be an authority on the subject

I don't believe any of the Crysis games used Gameworks. It was all custom Crytek stuff. And Crytek had no interest in trying to sabotage AMD performance. They wanted their games to run as fast as possible. Again, we are talking about an optional DX11 patch here. With tessellation maxed out. All you have to do is TURN THE FUCKING TESSELLATION DOWN/OFF, and wow, the AMD cards that suck at tessellation run better.

How many CryEngine games have YOU modded? I've modded about 4 different CryEngine games over the years. I have a fairly good grasp of how the engine works. I'd agree with Maldo. Dude knows his stuff.

Doesn't help when Zenimax headhunts your lead dev for your engine that made you famous to replace Carmack at id.

>in a DX10 game that came out half a year later and ran like shit because slavs
>this somehow discredits the volumetric lighting in Crysis 1

what have you done

>And Crytek had no interest in trying to sabotage AMD performance
How would you know? Could be paid by nvidia.

Could that just be AMD drivers being behind as usual?

Sure, could be. But the tessellation behavior was very suspicious and leads me to believe it was intentional by Crytek/Nvidia. Why would some meaningless concrete slabs have so much tessellation in them?

Changed the values in the .ini files. :)

Imagine being this fucking retarded. Normies don't care half as much about graphics and tech as people think they do. If they did,
> Fortnite
> Minecraft
> Bethesda games
> Early access games that barely function
Wouldn't be some of the most popular and best selling games ever created.

Because the method they used was a basic as all fuck phong tessellation thrown in after release to simply showcase off the new DirectX features. The game assets were never designed with the feature in mind and redoing them all would take more effort than throwing in an automated solution that just "worked".

These games are exceptions to the rule. If you actually think normies don't care about graphics, try to imagine the next Call of Duty coming out with Fortnite graphics. Also Bethesda graphics aren't good by our standards, but normies are usually blown by them on release. And subsequently by their modded graphics.

Lol

you're FUCKING delusional, PS360 gen is notorious for atrocious fucking framerates because muh post processing shit and TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX MEGABYTES (256MB) OF RAM, if you knew your limits you could make something that ran fine at 30fps with drops, if you didn't, like the devs of Crysis 2, you had tearing and retarded low framerates. Many other AAA titles from that gen don't stick to 30fps very often.
>b-but COD!!!
COD still dropped below 60fps despite running at 800x600.

>entire draw of the first Crysis was fucking amazing graphics on the pc
>proceed to release downgraded console trash
>open studios around the world
>go bankrupt
How shocking.

Holy shit you're beyond retarded. Please stop talking.

guess we'll never ever again have a mindblowing tech demo that will set new standards for graphic in the decades to come

Super Mario Maker 2 comes out in 3 days.

user no one expects nintendo to push graphics, only creativity and fun gameplay what they do best. this doesn't mean there's no market or demand for cutting edge tech demos like the first crysis.