Video games can't be as deep or emotionally resonant as literatu-

>video games can't be as deep or emotionally resonant as literatu-

Attached: 3x3 video games.jpg (920x920, 304K)

Bro at least include MGS 2 and Spec Ops: The Line and Silent Hill 2. 3/10 made me reply

>not L4D1

Attached: flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg (750x1000, 116K)

>Persona 5

You had a point until this. It's a good game, but it's about as subtle as a brick to the head.

They can't. No medium can achieve the depths of literature. Games are too action-based to achieve this.

>no Rust or Gmod

take out metroid prime, l4d2, p5; replace them with hotline miami, mgs2, undertale

:)

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 170K)

Literature is the queen of arts. God spoke the world into existence. He didn't program it. He didn't film it. He spoke it. All other media. take the knee.

No Bioshock.....

Don't mind me, just dabbing on all literature.

Attached: 1546784773557.jpg (283x351, 25K)

I wish Panzer Dragoon Saga was being remade instead of the original Panzer Dragoon.

Xenogears/Xenosaga. Nietzsche, Freud, and Jungian all wrapped into one giant clusterfuck of meaning

They will never give their users the tailored experience of their own guided imaginations.

Add bioshock, kotor 2, and planescape torment to that list

This board fucking sucks now. Vidya threads are the logical conclusion of its downward spiral

Attached: vnx6q6fykzy21.jpg (405x720, 33K)

>half life 3 will never be released

Attached: 1522335572202.png (637x360, 267K)

Is Tides of Numenera good?

>posts shallow console shit
I know this is bait, but come on

Same, this thread belongs in Yea Forumsirginland

Attached: plantary-lovecraft.jpg (458x772, 79K)

Is this a fucking bait thread?

Dark souls has a shit story that revolves around the basics of Resurrection and infinity, which isn't even written out well due to Miyazaki being kind of a shit writer so he has to be vague about everything

>P5
Actual bait

>Metroid
What?

>SotC
MUH DEAD GIRL AND WHAT YOU DO IS BAD BECAUSE MUH INNOCENT CREATURE
*Yawn*

>L4D2
Does that even have a story?

>Chrono Trigger
Round up a bunch of losers from different timelines to kill a generic end of the world villain
Something something Time and space

>BoTw
Every Zelda has been shit aside from Majora's mask

>Metroid again
Why

I don't know what the last one is

None of these games have an interesting story

Like there are tons of games with good stories that revolve around topics that matter, but you didn't even pick a single one
KYS

Attached: maxresdefault (13).jpg (1280x720, 118K)

>this is your brain on Yea Forums
the closest i've seen a game come is papers, please, but even that gets btfo by any Bolaño novel

Attached: 1561166068699.png (486x580, 101K)

Boring garbage.

It’s summer

No OP. The only games that rival literature are games that don't try to. A video game is not the ideal medium to express a narrative and explore thoughtful ideas. What separates vidya from other mediums is the interactive element, so therefore, the peak vidya that would reach it's highest potential as a means of expression would be competitive games.

The Giver was a fantastic book and a terrible movie because that story only really worked through medium of literature. The greatest video game would not work as any other medium.

For this reason Super Smash Brothers Melee is actually the greatest video game ever made.

Attached: Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png (250x349, 151K)

take a shower

video games are the lowest form of entertainment there is, even if the game has themes and a message you'll usually get it within the first 40 minutes and then it's just another 8 hours of that as you do fetch quests until you kill the boss and win

Xenogears has pretty poor gameplay and the budget cuts that led to disc 2's pacing getting fucked make the story suffer tremendously. It's still decently engaging but it's more enjoyable to think about than to actually play.

Legacy of Kain is the only game worthy of being talked about as similar to literature, nothing else

Attached: 565b3be0a6514a0d1a17654d06f40fdfdbdd4545ec4d5e0b7ec7e5d644e3d200.jpg (1600x740, 308K)

Only games that come to mind with any artistic merit were Nier for 360 and maybe Chrono Trigger

-re

Based

user you might be a sociopath or have very very poor reading comprehension. I hope you are just ironically shit posting

literature doesn't mean much and doesn't ensure quality
books can be good and bad and games can be good and bad

But user sure you know that's not true

the void is better

Attached: thevoid.jpg (616x353, 246K)

>reddit Yea Forumsermin
u have to go back.

Thoughts?

Attached: Witness.jpg (460x215, 41K)

Syberia?

>Muh redditcore
Shit taste, desu

Attached: Drakengard_3_-_Japan_Box_Art.png (1294x1500, 1.41M)

>L4D2
>deep or emotional
Come on, this is weak. Zelda: Ocarina of Time was far more emotionally intense. Felt such feels when that cute girl Saria watched on from the bridge as Link ran off to begin his adventure outside of Kakariko Village.

>Post-modern
>Black dude with a katana
Yup, just as I thought; cancerous. Fuck post-modernism.

I think Super Metroid managed to create quite an intense 'feel' to the game. The music was hugely helpful, but there were times when a speedy escape was necessary, times of exploration, strange creatures to fight, and the story having everything, losing it, then having to regain what you've lost is an ancient archetype. There's open areas, tunnels only big enough to stand within, small spaces, secrets, wasn't there even different planets to explore? The art style and pace of Super Metroid seemed very well-done. I only played that FPS one for a little while, I recall finding it surprisingly enjoyable on that old GameCube, but it wasn't the same as Super Metroid.

Comparing videogames to literature is still literature-related.

Anyhow, here's a thought; what's the best romance book and romance-based game you've ever played? In terms of books, Bridge to Terabithia comes to mind, quite sad. As for a sad romance game, while it's not mainstream I do consider it to be surprisingly well done considering it came from here; Yea Forums. Katawa Shoujo. The art, original soundtrack, the animated bits, the story, character development, multiple endings, etc. Yes, there's nudity and sex scenes in it, but they take time to get to and are clearly not the focal point of the game, far from it.

A more recent game I discovered is Strive for Power, it can be found online. There's a Patreon but you can access it for free. Fundamentally it's a slave-management game, and I've been finding it to be quite interesting. Not much in the way of animation, most of it is text-based in terms of description, and there seems to be a lot of flexibility involved with some modest level of exploration. You can be evil and harsh, raping any of your slaves you want, instilling fear and pain, ruling with an iron fist... or you could use a gentler touch to provide a decent life for those slaves that you keep. It's been making me consider writing a story about a slave owner, the Poldark series comes to mind. He doesn't have slaves, but he does have servants whom are under his care, left to him by his late father. He ends up running a mine and so the people who work the mine are likewise his responsibility as his employees of sorts. I like the concept of taking responsibility for others to try and make things better, this sentiment is in Fallout 4 as well.

re.

Finish your sentences when making a thread, OP :3

Did you seriously listed Zelda on this

If you seriously need music, self-immersion and image to make you *feel* something, you live a pitiful existence. Passive consumption and entertainment are for meek automatons whom I don't regard as human. Videogames, television and movies are the epitome of the "culture" we are living nowadays, boring shit for subhuman retards who won't know what living actually feels like. This goes for those who consume art for mere pleasure and distraction, too. Although the latter are a little higher in the scale of human greatness than the former.

Who hurt you

Both are semi active mediums in which the participant has to put in some effort to continue, which is what I like. The difference is the long history and focus on writing and story (because that's the whole thing) in novels. A novel is also the vision and execution of one man, meaning you have quite a bit more shit, but also hit on absolute genius the whole way through one sometimes. Games can have a genius soundtrack composer, writer (almost never, they would just write books, although I imagine this will change soon), a genius actor, etc but still be only decent overall. There's a bright future for games but they don't hold up right now.

Attached: Jonathan_Frakes_in_Hawaii.jpg (1271x1919, 259K)

>The Giver was a fantastic book

dropped

>Anyhow, here's a thought; what's the best romance book and romance-based game you've ever played? In terms of books, Bridge to Terabithia comes to mind, quite sad.

the absolute state of vidya posters

You could have at least used visual novels, since some of those do have the depth of real literature.

Attached: 16904.jpg (256x368, 35K)

>Persona 5
This legitimately ruined my day. Read a book you tasteless nigger.