How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

Attached: 1556921191615.jpg (691x960, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KARL8iGTc5c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

more trannies

Looks like death stranding

wtf am i looking at

creepy enviroments and good sound design
also zero jumpscares, if I see even one bad jumpscare in a game I'm playing i tend to just drop it instantly right there because I dont wanna waste my time with some shitty "horror" game that just jumpscares you every 10 seconds

Attached: staircase.png (1920x1080, 2.53M)

truck carrying cow intestines has an accident

never played western horror games. i dont even know if they exist.

Attached: DF54E0BB-30BF-44BF-AA77-BB05763FF544.jpg (1022x1024, 220K)

More Luigi's Mansion sequels.

Balance. The influx of hide and seek style games that was popularized by stuff like Amnesia and Outcast is everywhere now and mostly made to be YouTube Let's Play clickbait. It's generally lost its effect and is no longer scary or tense.

Similarly, giving the player too much power takes away any fear or tension once you progress far enough in the game. I love Resident Evil, but almost all the games suffer from this. It's hard to feel scared when I can OHKO most enemies with a grenade launcher.

The best horror nowadays is one that manages that middle ground of combat. One that gives the players the tools to fight back, but having monsters/enemies increase in difficulty along with the player's expertise.

More jumpscares to keep the gamer on their toes. Creepy ambience onky works because it makes the player fearful for jumpscares. The only scares people remember in Fatal Frame, FEAR, Silent Hill 4 were all jump scares. Nobody ever mentions games that try to fill you with dread through storytelling, like Siren, even if that's what they say they want.

The people saying they want a game with "lovecraftian" influences, playing as a British man narrating himself through an old library are just grown """men""" too scared to play actually scary games so they pretend that garbage is more "intellectual."

>truck carrying cow intestines
But why?

>Lets take every single possible way to debunk this image and call it sóy/npc instead of actualy giving a counter argument.

Make the player feel vulnerable.

to make burgers

>Alan Wake not on the list
Hell yeah I'm a bona fide alpha male

Why is Slender in this chart?

I hate this fucking site

it's so funny when bitches like you cry about jumpscares lmao

Attached: 1540106719625.png (320x448, 138K)

lol so true

Unironically true. Atmosphere fags ruined horror games by buying every "horror" game that comes out that doesn't contain any actual scares. Then they go full regressive and say games containing scares are "bad horror" even though it's just them being little bitches.

Ok, what's a good horror game that doesn't use cheap jumpscares or numale atmosphere horror?

Got any examples?

Resident evil, silent hill, clocktower, parasite eve, dino crisis are all God-tier to me. I don't give a fuck if it's now cool to hate on these titles.

Jumpscares do have diminishing returns though.

Yomawari: Night Alone/Midnight Shadows

No. Uses atmospheric horror.

The scariest enemy is the one you don't want to fight, not the one you can't.

too many boring screeching monsters and jump scare garbage in western trash

yume nikki is a sort of horror game from japanese perspective, but the west doesnt have the sense.

TETSUO

>these idiots who hate jump scares
>these idiots who think that the lack of jump scares is boring

You're both stupid and gay just like this image

You specified numale atmosphere horror though.

Siren 1 and 2. Stealth game (most of the time) but you can knock out shibito with weapons. Game gets progressively harder with new enemy types and reducing the amount of time they get knocked down. Game has natural jump scares because of the natural darkness and how violently they pursue you.

Too hard for most gamers so instead lovecraftian garbage gets all the hype even though it has only been done well 1.1 times, Eternal Darkness and the first level of Call Of Cthulu. But even then only CoC is "scary."

Yeah that's why I said no to your game.

You need a walkthrough to beat the first game though which is bullshit.

Imagine actually spending time making that image.

surprise isn't fear though
the silent hill series was atmosphere based and it was great

How is Yomawari numale atmosphere horror? What do you even define as numale atmosphere horror?

how the fuck do Alien Isolation, fucking CASTLEVANIA, or IHNMAIMS make fun of tropes what

"thing I don't like"

>people actually defending jumpscares
what the fuck?
Do you guys actually like having a stupid face jump at you and go "OOOOGLY BOOOGLY" in your face?
This shit is just stupid

Attached: gosling.jpg (416x404, 15K)

Look the onion is throwing a fit!

How do you define cheap jumpscare?

Go batshit crazy with every element of design except the physical look of the game.
>Plot and writing are B-movie kino
>Level design fucks with you constantly, never fully sure what the rules are or when you’re safe
>Everybody except you is morally bankrupt, insane, or both
>Actually give you guns that work, but combat and the death animations are hilariously brutal
>Bizarre boss creatures that come out of nowhere and never get explained
Horror makes great unintentional comedy.

>Too hard for most gamers so instead lovecraftian garbage gets all the hype even though it has only been done well 1.1 times, Eternal Darkness and the first level of Call Of Cthulu
The Last Door, Amnesia, Saya no Uta, and Bloodbourne did it well.

youtube.com/watch?v=KARL8iGTc5c

wtf silent hill 4 don't relies on jump scares mate
the whole fucking thing is creepy as fuck from the start

rain. have it rain all the time.

Not many current ones unfortunately. I feel like the Evil Within games actually come close to a good balance between atmospheric horror and combat. You have weapons, but in most cases you are fucked if you just try to run up to every enemy. Some sections you have to play smart and lure enemies into traps and such. It offers plenty of those, "Oh shit," moments when developers throw in an enemy or situation that ruins your well thought out plan without wearing out its welcome. The level designs are also great. The downsides are that the narrative and pacing is all over the place and the story is only there to loosely connect the different segments.

Despite pacing issues, I also really enjoyed Alien: Isolation. You have the tools to defend against the alien or sick it on other people, but resources are so limited that abusing those options will fuck you over. The Alien AI is awesome as well, but can get really irritating at times. Still, if you have ever watched and enjoyed the original Alien movie, it nails the atmosphere of that movie and your encounters with the alien can be genuinely terrifying. There are other enemies sprinkled in for variety as well fo its not just a hide and seek simulation the whole game, but as most people point out, the game is too long and very tedious about halfway through (though I feel like the climax brings it back up again).

Any jumpscare without a proper build up or setup.

it's ok it's good fun in that case

so just thing you don't like

both are great horror games, and actually the best kinds, but siren 1 is probably too hard for Yea Forumscasuals. the takatos levels at the elementary school are goddamn hard.

And we always have the same replies.

Attached: 711.jpg (390x376, 27K)

???

Attached: 1550220889178.jpg (576x1024, 35K)

Fear by not knowing how to combat the foe, along with well designed environments and music

For example, a level against an invisible ghost. Whilst hiding from it works, you don't know where it is and thus cannot safely move around. However, observing the room, you notice metal items occasionally move around, but everything else is untouched. From this, you can deduce the enemy is magnetic. By finding a metal item such as a fire poker, you can use it to point to the ghosts current location. If you find iron filings, you could throw them at the ghost to make them visible and able to evade easier

By making you have to hack together solutions in the field would make dealing with an otherwise overwhelming foe would make the game interesting

You play the monster.

I mean sure if you want to boil down what I said to the very bare minimum of what I described. Now you define numale atmosphere horror like what was previosuly asked.

The "let's pretend its scary" category is dearly true.

Once people catch on to the fact that others praise a non-horror game for being scary, they adopt the opinion for themselves because it's new and exciting and nonconformist. People who are desperate to appear interesting to others love to write essays about the "subtleties" of things and why they're true horror, like with Half Life and fucking Minecraft.

Pretending a non-horror game is scary is an excellent way to try to fit in. Sadly it's fucking embarrassing and you'll always know you're a retard if you do it, like when you refer to other posters as "user". You're just imitating. Monkey see monkey do. Horror is a shit genre.

thing i don't like

What if I'm not scared by jumpscares?

>such an NPC he's using words that get caught in a filter

might wanna update to your latest firmware buddy

>Silent Hill 4 were all jump scares
Such as?

Here's a fear for you faggots. Your mother will die one day and you're gonna suffer worse than Chris Chan when you have no home anymore.

How's that for atmospheric jumpscares.

Aight now lets loop that back to the start. What don't you like about Yomawari?
>Pretending a non-horror game is scary is an excellent way to try to fit in.
What a retarded viewpoint.

I'd probably say it was the numale atmospheric horror that made me not like it.

That's a slow burn

>clearing a compound in Iraq
>kick down door after door praying the next room isn't rigged to explode
>10 doors down, kid rushes us with a grenade takes out my team
>rush for the exit, sole survivor
>towelheads popping out taking shots at me from inside closets, drawers and trash bins
>fear I'm not going to make it alive
>bunker down in a room and use the radio to call command
> tell him I'm too scared to move on, just barely alive and I need another team sent in for extraction
>"You're not scared, you're just being suprised."
>hangs up

come now shitposter-kun, you are using circular logic. I'll try and keep good faith with one last approach, what don't you like about numale atmopsheric horror?

Sparing use of jump scares is totally justified and every great horror work uses them.

if loud sounds scared you wouldn't that make you the numale

The rabbit, the house hauntings. Only thing that wasn't was the Twins. You know I'm right since you're focusing on only one game to try and discredit me.

Need to fix audience first.

Hey user

What'd you think of the 2nd Yomawari? I bought the first one back on my Vita and had some good fun, especially with friends, but got a bit sick/de-scared when I got repeatedly fucked by the water area ghost and the invisible maze ghost

Would you say it improves upon it or is about equal?

radiation

Attached: 1561137649973.jpg (580x480, 56K)

>Complete Dead Rising 2 with a real life friend
>Zombie jumpscare out of nowhere
Only time a game has actually scared me.

have sex

Thumper is almost exactly The Music of Erich Zhann as a game

I think an ironic thing is how many responses "Your mom will die in her sleep tonight if you don't reply to this post" posts get, when ideally I think that'd probably be the ideal way to go

You already posted the answer in that pic

>No jumpscares
>No horror atmosphere

What the fuck do you even want then?

This is some Saya no Uta shit

A horror game that doesn't rely on jumpscares or atmosphere, clearly.

Surely there are more than two ways to be scary.

It improves on the first, but its mostly finer quality of life updates. I wouldn't say its all that marginally different from the first. I'm not particularly a fan of the switching perspectives it does for the narrative though.
What's the Pickman's Model of vidya?

actual "atmospheric" ones are only sh2 and stalker on the list. and possibly yume nikki. both games have decent melancholic ambient music.

western garbage cant do ambient and shit. they always do garbage hollywood orchestrations

Of course you are a jumpscare cuck trying to make people mad

>someone took the time to make this

Attached: smug rin.jpg (854x802, 57K)

lol so true

NPC response.

>I'm not particularly a fan of the switching perspectives it does for the narrative though.
I agree, it's kinda obvious from the start and usually Yui's parts are so minuscule they don't matter much. The tutorial reveal near the end was fucking great though and was worth at the very least the different perspective at the start.

>a horror game that doesn't rely on jumpscares
>jumpscare cuck
wut?

>a game based on a horror novel written in the 60s is making fun of horror tropes

yikes

NPC response.

There are, but "atmosphere" is an incredibly broad term that encompasses most of them.

>undertale
>horror
what?

Ah, I see. It's a stealth "piss on Western games" thread. I ain't even mad. If I had a micro dick compared to every other race I'd be a little bitter, too.

And less jannies.

Schizobro........

COPE.jpg

The amount of (You)s this image manages to gather never fails to impress me, it's almost too easy

t. pussy who pissed himself in front of a cute girl after a jumpscare and now pretends they only merely startle him as he tries to shove his jumpscare free agenda down gamer's throats

To be completely fair, I've never seen a good horror game. Video games just aren't a good medium for it, good for jumpscare shit but that's low-brow to even start with.

It's the only good medium for it because you have to make the decision instead of just sitting there watching everything unfold

Anything that's hard to see or 'understand' along with creepy atmospheric dread scares the shit out of me. A creature/shape standing in a dark distant hallway where you can just make out some features but not enough to quite tell what it looks like, preferably something uncanny valley humanoid, along with very few sounds or movements.
The unknown scares me more than gore, loud noises or jumpscares

lol so true.

western horror games are actually trash. slavs make good horror games/elements tho. but i wouldnt count them as western

all jump scares bad

Attached: you.png (500x500, 61K)

creepy but still believeable atmosfere, like fuck up real life places, give the monsters or whatever some ecosystem and logic
make player vulnerable, not helpless and not strong

Will Death Stranding be horror? Look at this shit. Found this unnerving as fuck.

Attached: 1561452817149.webm (640x360, 259K)

Playing Metro games on Survival checks most of this

The horror genre will only ever be fixed by matrix-style full dive virtual reality. The only way the horror genre is good is to experience it yourself sadly.
Or walk downtown when there's a fag rally shitting the place up, that's always nightmare fuel

Attached: 1523325166338.gif (964x957, 378K)

Haha, w-what do u mean user haha....

Attached: myers.jpg (800x450, 46K)

Don't ruin his contrarian dopamine rush. He's among the very first faggots to actually flip around to defend jumpscares due to the popularity of being correct that they're trash. Imagine how happy he is for convincing himself that he likes something very few people actually like.

Arabs are kind of savages. We have this arab grocery store chain called Adonis in Quebec and they sell all kinds of fucked up shit. They won't eat pork but they'll eat veal heads and brains. I'm not even /pol/posting either

I'm just pretend to reply to you.

>Having nothing gone to waste
>Fucked up

Intestines are delicious and more people should eat them.

Anyone play the taiwanese game called Detention? Pretty spooky, cool, disturbing and sad.

This seems like straw man. There are a few moments of tension and fear in Half-Life but I've never seen it to be argued as a horror game.

Like 2 good games but ok.

Pretty much everyone other than anglos eats the entirety of the animal. My dad's favourite meal back in Yugoslavia? Pig's head roasted in a pizza oven.

Said the best thing about moving to this country is you could get them from the butcher cheap.

I don't know man, I don't really care about eating anything, hell I'll taste some beef dick if it was put in front of me but I avoid eating veal just because that in of itself I find kind of fucked up, let alone eat their heads, tongues and brains

too rubbery