2D fighting games going from 2D to "2.5D" has been a pretty big loss for the genre...

2D fighting games going from 2D to "2.5D" has been a pretty big loss for the genre. Since then most fighting games who made the switch became really stiff in terms of animations and bland looking. With 3D you can't get these litte details that really made characters show their... character. You'll never something as cool as Urien hurting his own arm to the point it starts bleeding because he lost due to Time-Out. You'll never get good cloth and hair physics on par of hand-drawn, keyframed animations for these elements, things will either be too flaccid or too jiggly. The whole concept of "skeletons" and rigging makes the character feel more like puppets than more animated skeletons and that makes them feel soulless and dead.
Will there be a point 3D animation will be just as lively as 2D animation as far as fighting games are concerned? Likely, some progresses are being made. But it won't be anytime soon that 3D animation will reach the same careful look that sprite-era fighting games used to be known for.

Attached: 432234.png (550x673, 655K)

This can be said about every genre that jumped from 2D to 3D t b h

3D>2D fightas

Not always the case, fighting games are just the genre that is suffering from the "switch" the most.

You say that, and then you look at the ASW games, Xrd, DBFZ, and GBVS in particular.

Way too much work for something that's ultimately irrelevant.

Attached: sfv ryu.png (569x653, 266K)

And that’s why all the devs you’re complaining about went for soulless 3D.

2D pixel was “too much work for something irrelevant.” In other words, it’s entirely your fault.

>new ip in the thread
>devs you're complaining about
Different guy, newfriend. You are retarded if you want sprites back.

DBFZ only sold because it's DB not because of ASW's graphics. All their other games sell like shit and are niche within a niche genre.

Yes but the fact is nobody gives a shit about fighting games, it's a dying genre.

Cant make money selling alternate costumes with how arcsys does it

OP is literally complaining about 2D going 2.5D. So does it matter, or not? Which is it? Pick a side and stick with it.

OP wasn’t talking about sales. His complaint was about aesthetic quality.

lmao

>it's a dying genre
Wrong.

Attached: 1561123098604.jpg (980x529, 103K)

Yeah, a lot of times I don't get the switch from 2D to 3D. I understand using 3D in your workflow (Blaz Blue), but I don't think every 2D fighter should go 2.5D for like no reason. Too much style gets lost in the process.

I don't understand making your game full 3D if ultimately the goal is to make it look as 2D as possible. You could make it work and make it look unique, but I think more people are offering pretty darn good celshaded 3D than frigging Street Fighter 3rd Strike tier 2D animation.

You *can* make 3D look stylized, no questions asked. But when you go through great lengths to make sure that it looks as 2D as possible when the camera sticks in one camera angle? Eeeh..

I'm ok with 3d models if it means we get more characters.

I get the feeling that the roster for current fighting games would be way shittier if they stuck to sprites.

Attached: 1529856015347.jpg (300x250, 49K)

>I'm ok with 3d models if it means we get more characters.
It really depends on the workflow. Arc System Works puts a lot of work making their 3D look 2D, which is why even simple alternate costumes like Order Sol just don't happen. But I do think Arc System Work's style has a specific flavor of "cool".

Alternatively there's stiff and lifeless 2.5D, you know the kind. And I suppose if you eat away from the look, yeah it's easier.

PS: I have no problem with 3D fighting games. I just think that the trend of making 3D look 2D is its own arms race, and that we rarely see actual 3D fighting games. And we need more 2D animated stuff in fighting games.

true. the only one who comes close to achieve 2.5 perfection is arc sys but i dislike their games. Everyone else just use some shitty physics to save time and money in animation

Yeah no, that image doesn't mean fighting games aren't a dying genre, and that specific game is only doing well because there is little to no competition from other new games at the moment. I mean fuck, even the shills for that game admit that the game will sell less then the last game in that series. Now, this does not mean that I personally think fighting games are a dying genre, but rather that you chose a poor example to refute the claim.

There will never be a stage in a 2.5D fighting game that looks as good as this

Attached: Sf3si-yun.png (768x480, 198K)

If Arc Systems did all the graphics for 2.5D, I'd have nothing to complain about. Although I do have a soft spot for traditional 2D sprites.

Not too fond of how Capcom's fighters have animated ever since SF4. Everything's just so stiff, and the cloth physics in SF5 clip everywhere and look like dick.

SF4 is stiff with really bursty animations to put emphasis on "key" animation points, SF5 is good animation all round sans a few characters who are just half assed.
I do wonder what things would be like if Arc did animations, Capcom did gameplay and NRS did online.

Where's this Ryu from?

t. Idk anything about the genre or its future at all

Fucking retards

That new Capcom card game