Only the most SOULful games

Only the most SOULful games.

Attached: 51Amy0hsBvL._SX342_.jpg (342x396, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sE2wxepy7Kw
youtube.com/watch?v=wQDRyY7Y4k4
youtube.com/watch?v=SIuh8F_RROg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You had literally one fucking job.

Attached: 61CHI4IL-oL._SX342_.jpg (342x397, 43K)

dark SOULS

i think i bought folklore but never played it. might still have it on a shelf somewhere. is it fun to play?

It's a pretty simplistic brawler with some light RPG elements. It's largely carried by the excellent aesthetic, monster designs and soundtrack.

What's so great about it? Bought it years ago but never bothered to play more than a few minutes of it.

I like it and would have liked to have seen a sequel, but I do honestly think a lot of the noise you see online about it is SMT fans talking the game up a bit excessively since it was Cozy Okada's last console game.

>It's largely carried by the excellent aesthetic, monster designs and soundtrack.

sounds ok. i might dig it out. ive been replaying some of my old ps3 games even though ive got some new ps4 games in my backlog.

youtube.com/watch?v=sE2wxepy7Kw
It's a great game. It's a pity I wasn't able to appreciate it better when I was younger and played it. If I find another copy of it I'll replay it. It's like JoJo/SMT/Persona with Irish mythology and it is amazing.

>Alundra thread
>now a Folklore thread
Yea Forums is on fire right now with the great and underrated games threads I specifically like. This game was really nice and absolutely deserved a sequel. I'm expecting a Lost Planet 2 thread now.

There was a sci-fi spinoff for the PSP that never got released in the West. Sony also shot down a direct sequel for the PSP that was pitched to them because Folklore bombed in the US (like, ~50k copies sold).

Attached: 1511018077838.gif (540x320, 1.99M)

>There was a sci-fi spinoff for the PSP that never got released in the West.
For Folklore? What was it called? Also it's a shame it bombed, I recall it being advertised heavily and buying it and then it just faded into obscurity.

Coded Soul. As you can see, it recycled a big chunk of Folklore's bestiary.

Attached: a4aa37c866b8adcad57a36f682dcb610f22c4b2d6def64d72be13e19a3ad775a.jpg (1200x1600, 649K)

That's really sad to hear, the curse of being a launch title I suppose. How is the spinoff, what's it called and does it have a fan translation by any chance? This is the first I'm hearing of such a thing, I feel like the initial game could have benefited so much from expanding the RPG mechanics a little more and dealing with some of the rough edges, there was a ton of potential and it already felt pretty great.

Attached: SI_N64_BanjoKazooie_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 305K)

No fan translation unfortunately, so unless you can read Japanese or Korean (it got a South Korean release, oddly) you're out of luck. I have it and it's not great; think like a mediocre Raidou wannabe.

youtube.com/watch?v=wQDRyY7Y4k4

Thanks, I'll need to remember to try and find out more about it, sci fi seems like an odd way to take the "series".
>SW2E in the bottom right
Nice.
Oh, well that sucks. It really deserved a lot more than that. The art and music doesn't seem too bad though.

Character designs are pretty likeable. Kinda Xenoblade-ish.

Hitoshi Sakimoto's Basiscape did the soundtrack, so it's generally pretty decent.

Attached: Estelle.jpg (436x342, 25K)

I'll fucking take it!

>It's a great game. It's a pity I wasn't able to appreciate it better when I was younger and played it.
You're not alone. The thing is, and this is just a theory of mine, the game released pretty early on the PS3's life cycle and at that time the system was around $500 to $600, and back in '05 that was a lot more money that it is now. Because of that the game got buried amongst other early releases and by the time the system picked up steam the game was no longer a hot commodity. And it was a game of interest, too. The presentations for Sony showed the game off and its graphics really impressed at the time so had it come out at a time when the PS3 was more popular it would've probably fared better.

Yes, it's great.

FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS almost certainly is the reason why it didn't sell so great. Well, a combination of that and the fact that a colourful, eccentric Japanese game heavily influenced by Jim Henson and Tim Burton was about as out-of-fashion as you could get in 2007, when the whole market was all brown, grey and bloom thanks to the success of Gears of War.

Sony were banking on Folklore selling a PS3 to JRPG fans. Sadly it didn't work.

Attached: 02.jpg (1280x720, 206K)

Funnily enough the game gave me huge Medievil vibes with it's design and atmosphere, which also made me enjoy it even more.

to much grind

>No fan-translation
>Mediocre
Shit that sucks. Is the plot worth it at least?

It fucking sucks too, that stupid price tag is the reason most people were scared off from the PS3. Had it been just a tad lower Folklore would've been a classic. What a fucking pity. I wish I could replay the game but my fat PS3 broke years ago thanks to the yellow light of death.

youtube.com/watch?v=SIuh8F_RROg

Attached: witcher 2010-10-31 20-23-11-04.jpg (1920x1200, 1M)

Plot's alright. Involves military experiments on a psychic paraplegic boy and planes disappearing over the Bermuda Triangle. The whole thing's actually very SMT, unsurprisingly.

Well that sucks, a shame it's plagued by mediocre gameplay then. Ah well, I hope Folklore becomes a cult classic someday because it fucking deserves it.

One of the things that nobody ever mentions about this game is that it is probably the only game on the PS3 that didn't cheap out with the motion controls. I've never played a game where they actual, properly applicated, core functions of the game like this one. Every other game did it as some kind of gimmick while this one I've ever seen do it right and showcase the possible applications.

>the yellow light of death.
Yeah, I got a functional one that I'm afraid to turn one because of that. I got a 2 and 3 slim cheap and have been playing on that instead.