Reminder that there will never be another real Paper Mario game. I miss it. I miss it most of all. Of any series...

Reminder that there will never be another real Paper Mario game. I miss it. I miss it most of all. Of any series. This is the one that hurts the most to me.

Attached: pm.jpg (624x599, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i1Q2141yAxc
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's at least a 95% chance your right user. But even so, I just simply cannot kill the last remaining part of me that still has hope for the future.

i've never played a game with as much soul as the og paper mario. and that's a testament to how good the game is. i think we should all be greatful such a game exists, and the reason why there hasn't been a sequel that has lived up to the original is because the original is probably the closest thing to perfection we're ever going to get. goddamn i love this game

youtube.com/watch?v=i1Q2141yAxc

Attached: screen-shot-2017-07-21-at-3-29-08-pm.png (810x397, 183K)

I think TTYD and the original both have their strengths. I'd probably say that TTYD is the better game overall, but both sometimes trounce the other in certain aspects. They're both fantastic games.

walking through the town at the end of first paper mario, I took so long talking to everyone as i knew it was about to end. it still hurts bros

S-stop it user. I was having a great night. I love Paper Mario and TTYD so much. Fuck I even love SPM. Why did it have to end like this? If it happened to Luigi's mansion it can happen to Paper Mario too, right?

Attached: 1524873245603.gif (490x276, 483K)

>spend a few minutes looking at the The End screen
>start pushing buttons
>realize it's not going to stop and you have to reset
>puts you at the very end of the castle and you have to walk all the fucking way back down
They could have at least given you a save after beating Bowser that kicks you back to Toad Town after beating him, walking all the way back is such a pain in the ass.

I still have hope. they have made a paper mario on every system. only 2 good 3 bad. its not impossible the next one is good again

You're ignoring the fact that the good ones were the first two and that they've been shit for the past 12 years, meaning they'd have to completely turn things around rather than just happening to make one of the good ones. Then again, they said they're done with the Sticker Star/Color Splash gameplay style so at least we know the next one won't be like those.

I feel like there's something special about not having a "postgame". sure it sucks to have to walk all the way down but you only had to do it once and it adds a real legitimacy to the final fight, and really making it feel 'final'

Attached: CdJLPYJVAAAoQcM.jpg (400x400, 47K)

Eh. I kind of see it and used to see it as making the final boss feel a bit pointless. There's no progressing past it, so for the sake of your file, it doesn't matter if you beat Bowser or didn't. I still do it before walking down, though. I get why Paper Mario doesn't have a 'postgame', though, it wouldn't really be possible to return to Bowser's Castle and all that. I just kind of prefer the way TTYD did it.

its true. i believe sales were also pretty bad for the recent ones? maybe thats just wii u issues in general though

We asked for too much from our god and so were punished.

>3DS Paper Mario game that's a sequel to TTYD is not just announced, but shown, with video and screenshots, at fucking E3
>meaning it was given enough time and enough go-ahead to even make it to that point
>Miyamoto basically shuts down development and forces them to restart anyway
Why? I would honestly have been happier if I never knew a real Paper Mario was supposed to come out for the 3DS. I remember when they revealed the 3DS at E3, the Paper Mario game was easily the thing I was most hyped for, if that game had come out I would have had to have bought a 3DS just to play it. But no, we got Shitter Star because "it has to be different". Fuck off, Miyamoto.

Friendly reminder that ISIS is responsible for the deaths of Paper Mario, Advance Wars, and Fire Emblem.

Thanks for ruining my day man. Just beat TTYD last week again and it's just so fucking comfy and oozing with soul. It's a crime against humanity that everything after SPM is, not only unworthy of the Paper Mario name, but genuinely unpleasant to play. I'd understand if the games were just boring but they are honestly bad on so many levels it's insulting.

>Absolutely no reason to fight mooks
>Absolutely no memorable tracks
>Writing goes from all-time-great to grade-school
>Every NPC is a toad, no references to the originals

I could go on and on but it hurts too much bros...

Do you recommend SPM?
Oh and paper mario 3DS, I have a hacked 3DS and I was wondering if it was worth my time.

Attached: 435120_1.jpg (630x630, 77K)

bug game

Blame super paper mario, although it was a good mario game, it was a terrible paper mario game that set the precedent for being able to change the core idea behind the series.

Attached: papermario.png (922x394, 375K)

>no references to the originals
This is a pretty big one. I think if the new games took an approach of "same world but we're doing something different", it would go down easier. Maybe revisit some past locations from time to time, or just see old partners or use the old Paper Mario staple races like Clubbas, Boos, Koopas, etc as NPCs. The last two PM games have felt like Paper Mario in name only. They're not even games in the same franchise, they took the aesthetics of the old franchise and put them onto something new and decidedly worse. It's an insult to longtime fans. I think they could have saved a lot of good will by setting the new games in the same universe. They can still do different things, for sure, but it doesn't even feel like Paper Mario anymore.

I played the beta and am unironically hyped for it.

I went into Sticker Star trying to like it. I knew it was different, I knew it wasn't the same, but I thought, "well, why not, I'll give it a shot and honestly see if I like it". I gave it a whole 10 hours, and gave up. I honestly think it's trash. The only reason I even played that much is because it had Paper Mario in the title.

>Do you recommend SPM?
Not him, but holy shit, no. Graphics and music are uninteresting, but most of all the gameplay is somehow an unholy amalgamation of the worst parts of platformers and rpgs with uninspired or intentionally obtuse level design and combat with no more depth than a standard Mario platformers, but you have to jump on enemies multiple times.

Some people like the story, but I think it's unnecessarily melodramatic and the shitty square-shaped character designs make them less memorable to me than they would've been otherwise.

Only took me 2 hours to put the game down when i got in 2013 and never play it again since.

Personally, I love SPM and I don't think that it's very smart to compare it to the first two, as it plays completely differently. The brilliant writing is still there and I found the gameplay enjoyable, even if it was a bit too easy. Just don't think of it as a Mario RPG and you'll probably like it.

3DS though, the only good thing I can say about it is that you'll appreciate the originals a LOT more since they are actually good games. Pretty much everything there's to like about the originals is gone. It's a bad RPG, a bad Mario game and a very bad Paper Mario game. Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

I forgive them because of warioware gold

Attached: H2x1_3DS_WarioWareGold_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 495K)

Super Paper Mario is a solid 6.5/10 game, above average, but just. If you like Mario games in general, I think it's worth playing through at least once. It does get better as it goes along, though. Like others have said, it is kinda better to just treat it as its own thing that happens to have some of Paper Mario's aesthetics and sense of humor, rather than treat it like a follow-up to TTYD.

i miss goombario so much. Tattling everything i could, the flavour text was so good

Where the fuck did Advance Wars even go? Did they just decide to ditch it in favor of putting more staff into Fire Emblem games or something? I could totally see Advance Wars transitioning into a download-only series, have smaller games for $20 released once for eac console, but they won't even do that much?

>when you realized that you can tattle specific people rather than just the environments
I honestly couldn't believe that so much was put into the tattle system, I thought it was just going to be a semi-pointless tutorial dispenser at first. Both games' tattling is so fun. It's a way you can tell they really gave a shit making those games.

Attached: 1544138613609.jpg (207x203, 18K)

advance wars sales were never amazing. I think its fine to be left dead. If it came back it would be a mobile game

Honestly I hope for a remaster on switch of the first 3. Would be better than any other outcome

Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict didn't even release in Japan.

Why didn't the first game do well? It was an early GBA game and had a shit ton of content, more than FE7.

That would be fantastic. I'd buy it day 1 at full price. Just slap them on the Switch as lazily as possible and I'd buy it. Why does Nintendo hate money? No VC and no TTYD port?

Is there a way to make single player, card collecting, story focused adventure games work, or are they doomed to mediocrity the moment they're ever conceived?

Attached: shitgames.png (1976x886, 3.58M)

I don't think it was out in Japan for a while, also they probably didn't like it compared to FE

Chain of Memories is good and has absolutely no place being next to or compared to Sticker Shit in any way. Fuck you for making this post you flaming faggot.

im going through KH (just finished 1) now. should I play GBA or remaster for this one?

I'd say... both? Do GBA for your first playthrough (it's still a full KH game with plot relevance and all that) just to know what it was like to play the games as they originally came out, then dabble in the remake after you're done with KH2, play it through if you want or go ahead to the next one. GBA has more difficulty and is, I think, overall the superior game. Also, it has fucking gorgeous sprite art.

Thank a lot, it's appreciated.

Seems like Super Paper Mario is an okay-ish game and sticker star is just plain bad, it's such a shame I love the first two.

What's "funny" is that Paper Mario used to be called "Mario Story" in Japan but now even the modern paper mario are named "Paper" in japanese. There is so little RPG elements in the new games that the name for the west replaced the original.

I recommend Baten kaitos (and Lost Kingdoms to some extent) if you haven't played them.

Attached: 4563214.jpg (270x187, 17K)

>Chain of Memories is good
kek
Neither. As someone who marathoned the series for the first time this year with no nostalgic attachment, you'd genuinely be better off watching the cutscenes. It's a massive waste of fucking time either way. The sprite art is nice though.

Attached: 05236302974.gif (640x360, 439K)

t. doesn't know how to use sleights and gets frustrated that you don't just mash X to win
also
>It's a massive waste of fucking time either way.
t. probably doesn't understand the story of KH

In the first two games the paper was used as an art style choice, things like trees were still actual 3d trees, not papercraft.
The new games assumed people liked the series because "everything was made out of paper" which has never been remotely true, just shows how out of touch they are with the actual audience.

>Where the fuck did Advance Wars even go? Did they just decide to ditch it in favor of putting more staff into Fire Emblem games or something?

Attached: image.jpg (617x559, 158K)

You do just mash to win, though. You can break the game to the point where it's piss easy, and I played it on proud. Sonic blade, sonic blade, sonic blade. It's fucking boring. I'm sure you loved playing it as a kid, but it really isn't a good game in any stretch of the imagination.
>t. probably doesn't understand the story of KH
Y'know, the funny thing is, everyone told me it'd be difficult to understand, but it's really, really not. There might be a lot of moving parts but that does not equal a complicated story. even the Braig Luxu "twist" was something you could have seen coming from a mile away.

>Sonic blade, sonic blade, sonic blade.
Sonic Blade isn't even that good in the GBA game, you should have been spamming Cloud, Cloud, Cloud or Mega Flares.

Making everything out of paper is a natural evolution of the artstyle, and definitely way better than whatever Super Paper Mario tried to do with its graphics. It's only seen as an issue due to the regression in the writing.

Wait
>You can break the game to the point where it's piss easy, and I played it on proud.
Why did you post the GBA game if you're talking about the remake?

Reminder that they were probably also scared off from making something more US-focused and different from Fire Emblem when Codename STEAM bombed harder than Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

>Making everything out of paper is a natural evolution of the artstyle

It's not really. Paper Mario was a pop up book with a slight Yoshi's Island leaning, not a kid's craft project. Nintendo are just in love with the handicraft theme as of late.

Attached: DSC01027.jpg (1500x844, 174K)

Not that user but
>Making everything out of paper is a natural evolution of the artstyle
Strongly disagree, at least on calling it an evolution of the artstyle. Also, the later games just end up looking incredibly tacky by trying to go for that look in my opinion.

To be fair, I jumped into the gba game after the remaster to see if it was any better, and stopped at around Larxene when I realized there was really no point in doing the same thing over again a second time when I,
1. Wasn't having fun.
and
2. Had already experienced this.
I posted that image because at the time I was talking about card based games in general, so I didn't feel the need to post both the gba game and the remake. Initially I was talking about both.

STEAM not being that good of a game in the first place and having a wildly divisive artstyle didn't help matters either.

I disagree, see pic related.
Making everything out of paper just gives it this "fake" look, it feels like you're standing in a set piece and not an actual world.

Either way you're a faggot because Chain of Memories for the GBA at WORST has great music, great sprite art, an actual story, and you can have fun playing it. Sticker Star is just a complete trash fire with basically no redeeming qualities other than reminding the player of better games. The two do not deserve to be put into the same category whatsoever. So fuck you.

Attached: KINGDOM-HEARTS-HD-2_8-FINAL-CHAPTER-PROLOGUE_15.jpg (1920x1080, 163K)

>Making everything out of paper just gives it this "fake" look, it feels like you're standing in a set piece and not an actual world.
the only game I've seen that had a style like this and actually worked for me was Yoshi's Flippin' World. Yoshi's Fuckin' World looks just like it was created by people doing an arts and crafts project. With other games of a similar style I've seen, it's felt like 'a style', like, we decided to give this Mario game a papercraft style. Yoshi's Goddamn World was the only game I've seen where it doesn't just feel like a style, but like it seriously could have been made by hand by someone and you're playing a game in a world someone made by hand and shit. So, I don't think the new Paper Mario games really succeed in their style, they do feel fake, but also too computer generated. It just ends up being a meh art style to go with a bad game.

>great music, great sprite art, an actual story
I agree with this.
>and you can have fun playing it.
Kek, I didn't. Didn't have fun with 365/2 days either. Neither did I have fun DDD.
Also, Sticker Star has good music at the very least. And from the very beginning I never said they were both just as bad as each other. I said they were both shit. Just because you like Kingdom Hearts and played CoM when you were a little baby, doesn't mean you're obligated to like every game Nomura shills you. Sounds to me like you've just gotta cope with the fact that CoM is widely considered a pretty bad game. We all like some bad things, it's okay user.

Attached: 1528471074466.png (266x300, 154K)

>Making everything out of paper just gives it this "fake" look, it feels like you're standing in a set piece and not an actual world.
Wh...what? That was the entire point of the art direction of Paper Mario. It's an art piece. everything is a prop, you're acting on a stage, and there's an audience watching. Fucking lights can even fall from the rafters for Christ sakes.

Talking about TTYD, but still, same idea applies.

>Just because you like Kingdom Hearts and played CoM when you were a little baby, doesn't mean you're obligated to like every game Nomura shills you.
I didn't play any KH until I rented KH2 once or twice in 2006 and didn't actually get into the franchise until 2016
>Sounds to me like you've just gotta cope with the fact that CoM is widely considered a pretty bad game.
I don't really see fans hate on CoM that much and it has a 76 on Metacritic and an 8.8 user score on there. The "widely considered a pretty bad game" thing is objectively incorrect. You're much more likely to see people shit talk BBS or DDD or something like that.
>>and you can have fun playing it.
>Kek, I didn't.
My point is that it's possible to have fun playing CoM, the same can't be said about Sticker Star

SPM is a solid 7/10 for me, but I don't like how the game blueballed me so hard with Luigi.
>tease his playable debut throughout the entire game
>finally becomes playable in chapter fucking 6
>lmao nvm Dimentio takes him out of comission in chapter 8 and he's not even usable against the final boss

the fuck are you on user

New Paper Mario better. No comprex combat and onry Toad NPCs mean it cheaper to make. And no have to waste time writing comperring duarogue, so it faster too. Manchirdren and kiddies arrways eat up everytine we crap out so it also guaranteed profit.

Attached: 1496453188576.jpg (209x152, 11K)