This is the best Castlevania game

This is the best Castlevania game.

Symphony and Rondo fags need not apply.

Attached: 40144-castlevania-aria-of-sorrow-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg (800x800, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OOyjXssr4Uk
deviantart.com/acediez/art/Castlevania-Dawn-of-Sorrow-Celia-667491287
youtube.com/watch?v=diuexInkshA
youtube.com/watch?v=91zbzxHvScY
youtube.com/watch?v=rrsRokgOodU
youtube.com/watch?v=SALcnafOZQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ksHMtoXMtd4
youtube.com/watch?v=PORh7-ySY90
youtu.be/2-lrP9mX4QQ
youtube.com/watch?v=2zsV113dfnI&list=PLB7CB0812256D012F&index=1
romhacking.net/hacks/4373/
youtube.com/watch?v=aokKwSgCNqw
youtube.com/watch?v=WkxpLVYoz1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=KYX3hBgv_Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=PS8ALhXLrPg
youtube.com/watch?v=j9JIuBGbCZk
youtube.com/watch?v=jZOUJlbYYJA
youtube.com/watch?v=b_4lIXJ4KwQ
youtu.be/A-6uLzTMoBE
shrines.rpgclassics.com/gba/cvaos/weapons.shtml
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Harmony_of_Despair
strategywiki.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night/Weapons
youtube.com/watch?v=SQxs-WEFRJY
youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmrNA6ifc
youtube.com/watch?v=y-A1NWI5Y1U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That doesn't look like CotM OP

You been spotted as a troll.
*crack*

Attached: NiceTry.png (600x600, 173K)

At least it's not Harmony of Dissonance

Based.

Attached: 1559077821149.png (631x808, 543K)

Why does no one like HoD. I for one love it.

Attached: Juste_Belmont2.png (391x599, 281K)

Attached: Whatever.jpg (1082x1000, 162K)

Based

Attached: 1568165.png (577x441, 340K)

Attached: b2f.jpg (680x447, 26K)

Attached: 1556146475645.jpg (3840x2160, 1.46M)

That's not Charlotte's game, user.

Attached: offart31.jpg (1024x819, 387K)

CotM is p bad tbqh. Pure jank compared to aria.

Because it's SotN levels of easy but has none of its polish, the castle is confusing and the entire game sounds like shit, which is a shame because there are a few good tracks in there. I don't mind it but it's clearly the weakest of the post-SotN games.

I will forever unironically prefer dracula x to rondo.

fpbp

Attached: Castlevania_Circle_of_the_Moon.jpg (640x639, 76K)

CotM is easily the worst Metroidvania in the entire series, it's worse than Harmony of Dissonance. I refuse to believe people think it's the best in the series, especially compared to OoE, SotN or the Sorrow games. Are you being contrarian or is it just nostalgia?

I sort of agree with OP. the games only real faults are it's way too easy and a bit too short Even with the chaos realm

Attached: 1500792571727.png (550x700, 315K)

Haha seething nigger. Cope

I love this autistic ass guy
>I could let you out of the castle easily but you have my demons' souls
>I'll give them back to you
>BUT YOU'VE STILL COMMITTED THE ACT OF STEALING
makes me think of Kira a little

Attached: 7257525872.png (742x689, 1.32M)

I can see it, it's a nice mix of metroidvania and classic-vania. it's the only metroidvania with any real difficulty outside of maybe Shanoa's game. it's just janky. and needed way more new songs. I Unironically wish Iga had tried to work with it's formula more then just making more Symphony-like games.

Attached: 1527259203661.gif (372x528, 97K)

Juste is my favorite Belmont to play as but his game could be better.

>year of our Lord 2019
>still no Castlevania 1999 game

I like the straight forwardness of the NES games. Which GBA game is most like that?

youtu.be/OOyjXssr4Uk

It's the best post-Symphony Castlevania but Symphony will always be my favorite.

>Symphony and Rondo fags need not apply.
I play both stay upset faggot your such a loser LMFAO!

Attached: 1552979891474.jpg (1087x1080, 112K)

Graham Was great. way better then the cult losers from dawn. I don't even have an image of them to post. so have their leader instead.

Attached: 1500774694020.jpg (632x784, 164K)

none of them, rondo of blood/dracula x, bloodlines or chronicles would be better for you

Attached: 3febaadf41f09d9fb2998195edf53c74.jpg (1000x603, 100K)

Play Adventure Rebirth on Dolphin and Castlevania Chronicles

I have already played Rondo, Dracula X, Bloodlines and SCV4 and I liked those too. I haven't played any of the GBA games though.

Aria is piss easy compared to symphony

symphony is already piss easy

Attached: 1500489553357.jpg (600x848, 288K)

Attached: 1559144596817.jpg (645x763, 178K)

You should ignore the GBA games then and play Haunted castle instead.

Attached: 18113001.jpg (850x1097, 287K)

You posted the wrong picture, didn't you mean Super Castlevania IV?

Give rebirth a try. or Belmont's revenge on the GB. if you are dead set on trying the GBA games accept they are nothing like the classicvanias. and I'd honestly suggest circle of the moon myself. it feels more like a classic games then the others but as people have mentioned it's janky. the all around "best" of them is Aria.

lol

Attached: 1500797896216.gif (296x196, 102K)

More like Super Castlevania Bros 4

Iga didn't work on CotM

My personal favorite is Portrait of Ruin but I never see it mentioned in these threads

The hell Ayami Kojima drew Celia?

>Role: Promotional

Shit, you're right. that enplanes a bit. still wish that style had been expanded on.

Nah, it was this person it seems.
deviantart.com/acediez/art/Castlevania-Dawn-of-Sorrow-Celia-667491287

Attached: 1494462032540.png (590x750, 514K)

It feels like the black sheep of the DS games. had a somewhat weak soundtrack compared to the others. the idea of single areas was neat but then the game felt padded because of all the repeats. the awful art-style doesn't help. and I know some people weren't big on the character swapping (I liked it though). also fucking the carnival areas holy shit. still a really good game despite all of that.

Attached: 1500777533872.jpg (1024x819, 158K)

>it's worse than Harmony of Dissonance
Nothing is worse than that. HoD is the very definition of soulless.

>had a somewhat weak soundtrack compared to the others
I thought it was much more memorable than Dawn

Not reading the thread but my favorites are Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia. It's too hard for me to choose between the two.

I have beaten the game and i like it a lot despite its flaws

well at least Devilman 2018 took some cues form Dawn of Sorrow OST

youtube.com/watch?v=diuexInkshA

youtube.com/watch?v=91zbzxHvScY

To me it's a very average game across the board, the soundtrack has good melodies hamstrung by the soundfont. Don't feel particularly strong any way about it. Also did the merchant die with the castle?

I just got around to playing it a few weeks ago since it was the only IGAvania I didn't get around to playing and it just feels extremely mediocre. The visuals are boring, the music sounds bad and the game is piss easy.

I enjoyed it, but the difficulty spikes ruined it for me
>cheesed Ritcher with pies on my third attempt
>breezed through the remaining portraits and Brauner with Vampire Killer and Alicards spear
>then get curbstomped over and over my Dracula/Death
Even years later I always get caught out by those fucking fingernails.

It had a few decent ones like
youtube.com/watch?v=rrsRokgOodU
youtube.com/watch?v=SALcnafOZQQ
But they were nothing compared to
youtube.com/watch?v=ksHMtoXMtd4
youtube.com/watch?v=PORh7-ySY90
I would argue that the Sorrow duology has the best OST of the series.

youtu.be/2-lrP9mX4QQ

That's cool.

Attached: file.png (383x210, 161K)

Came here to post this

Attached: 1502283395397.jpg (1200x750, 746K)

I like Carrie's game

Attached: Carrie.jpg (375x800, 64K)

Dawn of Sorrow is the best game mechanically.

Because it's literally SotN but shittier in every way, without playable Alucard and Maria and with Richter swapped with a bishounen santa claus.

Kino

Attached: 1559096055030.png (508x491, 15K)

It has the worst soundtrack out of all Igavanias

Aria for portable SotN successor
CotM for actually hard Metroidvania and colors that aren't washed out
HoD for making your fucking ears and eyes bleed from the dissonant audio and technicolor vomit

Some guy is remaking all the HoD music with non-shit samples.
youtube.com/watch?v=2zsV113dfnI&list=PLB7CB0812256D012F&index=1

>that gif
now THAT'S a big boner

Best is III.
>still no Castlevania 1999 game
Does it matter? We know what happens.

You're joking, right?

Haven't played any other Castlevania than SotN. How easy can this one be? I defeated Dracula in literally like 3 seconda.

CotM was the first Metroidvania I ever played and I loved it. Imagine my shock when I moved to HoD and it looked like complete crap. gone were all the colors, replaced with washed out shit. And the music sounded horrible. It took me around 15 years to get back to it and actually finish it.

I've always found Aria of Sorrow a little less broken than Symphony overall. None of them are particularly difficult, though Circle of the Moon has its moments depending on your luck with cards.

>is remaking
>2010

Same here actually, and like you I was pretty disgusted with how HoD looked and sounded.
The music compositions are actually really good, but they are absolutely fucking anal raped by the awful soundfont and GBA compression.
I didn't even finish HoD back then, dropped it like halfway through because I didn't like it and later moved to Aria after coming back from a scout camp (since it released a while earlier).
Only finished it like 8 years later.
HoD is simply not a good game, even if you use hacks to fix the shitty walking/running animations, the horribly disgusting colored outlines and some other horseshit, it's still a very poor man's SotN.
Almost all the castle and enemy assets are just recycled from SotN and downgraded for GBA hardware.
Literally a black sheep of the GBA family of Castlevania games, music is the only good thing about it when listening to some recreation like that isn't compressed all to shit.

Ah shit, I thought it was ongoing seeing as he did so many of the tracks, guess he dropped it but at least he covered all the best ones before he fucked off.

Holy shit, are you me? Circle of the Moon was also my first Metroidvania game ever, and I moved on to HoD after it and got so turned off by it that I quit after the first few minutes.

It's not as easy as SotN but it's close. Aria doesn't have shit as comically broken as Soul Steal, Crissaegrim or the Shield Rod but it's still an easy game overall.

Smh at autists saying SOTN is too easy.
You’re playing as Muhfuggin Alucard, of course it’s going to be easy

Alucard is a pussy in CV3.

Only if you play the shitty American version that had deliberate serious downgrading done in order to result in more cheap deaths and game overs and thus extended playtime to combat the rental market.

The American version is more punishing but I've never thought it was cheap. It does make your partners less useful, to be honest I've always stuck with Trevor anyway. It's just more fun for me. The Belmont playstyle is why I like Castlevania.

Indeed

Attached: 1547878106980.png (892x940, 472K)

Making partners worthless is part of why it's an awful conversion that completely misses the entire fucking point of the game as being a team game.
It also goes further with Bloodstained Curse of the Moon mechanics/partners being clearly based on the JPN CV3 and not the shitty burgerclap version that was massively downgraded in basically every regard from visual, to sound to gameplay.
I do not comprehend how anyone can defend that shitty version these days when we have perfect translations of Japanese CV3.

Still remember me and brother playing aria of sorrow. We had 1 cart and hed play at night after work and id play after school during day. Was my second castlevania after he showed me sotn and its what lead me to buying aria of sorrow day one.

I still remember being ass blasted when I saw his file and picture in start menu for soma was all fucked up and evil. He refused to tell me what he did and made me figure it out. Finding out the clues from books and Soma becoming the new Dracula and doing the new area will be my most cherished gba memory.

>new Dracula
>new
Soma is just his usual reincarnation, but devoid of his memories.
Soma's look and outfit in general is just inverted colors Mathias Cronqvist.

Grant is somewhat less useful, but the other two weren't altered. Sypha is extremely potent in both versions, and Alucard mostly sucks in both versions.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is my favorite game for the Nintendo DS handheld system.

Attached: DOS_Great_Armor.gif (284x153, 212K)

I still love how ridiculous but awesome Excalibur is.

Attached: AoS_Excalibur.gif (218x200, 27K)

I'm still pissed they downgraded his sprite so much in Dawn.
Fur collar removed, the cool Diavolo rockstar pants replaced by generic jeans and knee high boots and the color palette is so fucking drab it melts into the background in many locations making it a serious downgrade for gameplay.

It was the one I played last, it has its issues but it is a fantastic game. It's the only Metroidvania where platforming is an actual key part of the game rather than just a basic impediment or part of combat, the DSS system is fantastic, the soundtrack's great despite the poor audio quality and the different character builds on New Game Plus runs are great. The only flaws are the dated graphics, the lack of a beastiary and the weird pseudo-canon storyline.

I prefer the Japanese version. I just don't think the American version is "cheap." It's more punishing, but cheap? No. The level design and enemy behavior are largely the same (with a handful of exceptions, some of which are better in the U.S. release like Dracula's final form), and they're what make the game good far more than the teammates.
>Curse of the Moon
Curse of the Moon is good but it's not on Castlevania III/Akumajou Densetsu's level either.
Now that I think about it you're right.

I love how one good hack of AoS made the Excalibur the best weapon by removing the stone.

>dated graphics
Are they dated though? I thought they looked pretty good. Especially the colors they used.

>Curse of the Moon is good but it's not on Castlevania III/Akumajou Densetsu's level either.
Here's a (You).
How is it not objectively better than CV3?
Better and tighter gameplay (much more responsive basically), great level design, great bosses (outside of the train one), extremely memorable soundtrack, great visuals, huge replayability (more so than CV3/Akumajou Densetsu), what more do you want?

No, but there's a hack for Dawn of Sorrow that replaces the portraits with Ayami Kojima ones (for those that exist) and Ayami Kojima-copycat ones (for those that Ayami didn't draw).
It's such a simple thing but massively improved my enjoyment of the game.

definitely my favorite one, sucks we didnt get more ayami kojima art for dawn of sorrow

Attached: e489e674513aff762fe8dbcd16bc599e.jpg (429x640, 85K)

Who is this supposed to be? Sure as shit doesn't look like Soma.

Reminder that Ayami Kojima is extremely expensive because she doesn't just make paintings, all of her paintings are actually embroided with expensive materials and even minerals like silver, gold, platinum and diamonds.

Easily Ecclessia. Great soundtrack, tight gameplay, mix of Classicvania and Igavania, and an above average story when it comes to Castlevanias.

Attached: ecomic7.jpg (325x1040, 218K)

Attached: 3356screenshot1.png (256x384, 59K)

Attached: 3356screenshot2.png (256x384, 55K)

Attached: castlemania.jpg (600x848, 292K)

HOW DARE YOU

EVEN FORGET IT

WHO RAISED YOU

YOU

STUPID NIGGER!!

What's the Bloodstained equivalent of Kinovania?

Thats instantly better
Can't do much about the obnxious ward drawing though, I'm guessing

Like a boss similar to Creaking Skull?

Attached: when bones are agitated.png (720x480, 44K)

There's a patch that makes it so that you only have to draw the first line.

>Can't do much about the obnxious ward drawing though, I'm guessing
Actually there's another hack that's compatible with this one that automatically completes the QTEs.

the big titty low quality beta model for the first boss I think

You don't need to even draw a line, you just need to touch the screen and flick in any direction and it autocompletes.

based

unbased. cotm and hod are both great. ooe and por are the worst

Fuck it then, it's worth a replay

>tfw you're superhuman and so skilled that you can actually draw the symbols without issues
tremble before me, mortals

yeah I'd still rather see them gone though

Attached: elizabeth.jpg (470x639, 245K)

Shard vs Shardless

Just kidding, I am happy to see this game getting so much love

Attached: Ayame Kojima .jpg (700x921, 269K)

>ooe and por are the worst
>HoD not the absolute bottom of the barrel
Cringe and bluepilled.

KONO!
BAKA DESHI GA!

Gebel looks really awesome. Miriam is kind of ugly though

Soul

Attached: Caos-soma-cruz-Soul.jpg (770x750, 114K)

Here you go bro.
romhacking.net/hacks/4373/
All-in-One hack.
Removed all touchscreen shit cancer (Balore's Soul gives you ability to destroy ice blocks, QTEs complete automatically), fixed Luck (didn't work at all, now it properly gives you +0,1% to drop rates per 1 Luck) and Ayami Kojima style portraits.

is there a more kino game than this?
>tight gameplay, visuals and music
>every boss has a desperation move before dying
>that kino ending
>that K I N O alternate 3v1 final boss
>dynamic difficulty which you can change with your actions ingame
>great replayability

Attached: kino.jpg (460x215, 61K)

>ooe above anything

Attached: 1416503123628.jpg (850x722, 128K)

I think she looks cute enough, this is how women usually look in Ayame Kojima's style

I'm genuinely pissed there was no Emperor of Darkness Zangetsu bossfight in Ritual of the Night.

I'm a bit sad that there wasn't a 4th mode that you play as demon Zangetsu
youtube.com/watch?v=aokKwSgCNqw

Demon Zangetsu would be too OP

Shard

Attached: Bloodstained-Ritual-of-the-Night-Playable-Characters.jpg (640x360, 156K)

The story fuckin' blows but the gameplay, mmm! Mastapiece!

How come Focalor didn't make it into RotN? He's the only boss who doesn't appear.

I actually can't believe that fucker just suddenly died. I thought he was just vanished by Gremory and he'd come back after I won, but no, he's dead.

IGA killed him off because Hayter is too expensive, I guarantee you it was a business decision so Hayter can't come back.

who cares, it's a reward, and worst case scenario make it so he has 1 health or something on Veteran and regular health on Casual

speaking of which, I haven't played Casual mode once in my 3~4 playthroughs, what does it change? player and enemy health?

bosses imo were cooler in CotM in terms of moveset and identity, I was so fucking disappointed with the double jump and laser bosses compared to their CotM incarnations

>only
You forgot about Emperor of Darkness Zangetsu, he didn't make it in either.
Some of the CotM music didn't make it into RotN either for whatever reason.

The game involves the party system more heavily, but this also makes the game a lot less tightly designed. Curse of the Moon's entire approach to stage design and enemy placement is different too. It's less meaningful, less memorable. It's more accessible and certainly easier, and wrecking shit with Zangetsu at full-power is pretty amusing, but at best it's a lateral development from Castlevania III more than an outright better successor.

>Emperor of Darkness Zangetsu
Yeah, but he's plot relevant so it would make sense for him to not appear. Turtleman is just a random boss.

>speaking of which, I haven't played Casual mode once in my 3~4 playthroughs, what does it change? player and enemy health?
You take 50% less damage, potions give you 2x more item use points, there's more health drops, there's no knockback when taking damage and you have infinite lives/continues.
Basically game journalist mode.

Eh, I liked the laser boss in RotN, at least they gave him a personality. The peacock on the other hand was butchered.

OP ignore literally every post above and below mine, you're right.
Dawn of Sorrow would come second if it weren't for the touch control gimmick and also the fact that it basically feels like a watered down AoS. Recently played through circle of the moon and harmony of dissonance, which are pretty great too, but lack the sheer amount of options AoS provides

Sorry, should have clarified. Compared to even the other Castlevania games on the GBA it looks pretty basic. Like a halfway point between Dracula's Curse and Super Castlevania IV. Sprites are simpler and less animated, just compare it to HoD and AoS. I would say it looks graphically dated compared to games on the same system that just came out a year or two later, part and parcel of it basically being a launch title.

>Yeah, but he's plot relevant so it would make sense for him to not appear.
But it would, just make him a boss of one of the bad endings.
Or make him the true final boss on Nightmare where after you kill Bhaal he shows up and Miriam is all glad to see him survive but then he mutates into the Emperor of Darkness form.

The true answer is Super Castlevania.
Rondo of Blood sucks ass because you can only attack in a straight line, what a fucking downgrade

Super Castlevania is a slog to get through.

>what a fucking downgrade
Imagine being so brainlet and not understanding that directional whipping not being in Rondo (and all Classicvanias post CV4) is a deliberate choice because it makes the game far too easy and fucks with the game design.
Eat shit casual.

Games are about what you can't do as much as what you can. Mega Man wouldn't instantly be better if you could shoot in every direction. I think it's a shame we never got a Castlevania V that expanded on IV's movement and ideas, though. I like IV a lot as a change of pace.

I think Peacock got butchered because he was probably the hardest boss in RCotM, he gave me legitimately more trouble than Gremory and EoD Zangetsu.

>Aria
>best Castlevania
No. Portrait of Ruin is the best portable Igavania game. The only thing bad about it is the character portrait artstyle. It has:
1. The most content
2. The best boss roster (that mixes in the best of Dawn without any of the shit ones)
3. The most replayability (main duo, sisters, Rondo duo, axe knight)
4. The best soundtrack
5. The best maps and level design
6. The second best challenge after Order of Ecclessia. The game on Hard/LV1 is genuinely nuts, especially when you play as Richter and Maria.

Attached: 1514101969189.jpg (450x450, 16K)

Is this the absolute worst example of level design in the Castlevania series?

Attached: castlevania3-spot1.gif (768x672, 40K)

>Basically game journalist mode.
I smirked at first, but then it hit me tha this is unironically true.

Incoming, the objectively correct list. Best to worst.

Rondo of blood
Portrait of Ruin
Dawn of sorrow
Bloodlines
Symphony of the night
Aria of sorrow
Harmony of dissonance
Chronicles
Circle of the moon
Dracula x
Legends
Belmont revenge
Adventure

That would have to be 5' in Rondo of Blood. It feels so sparse, lazy and dry. They probably spent like only an hour on this level.

Attached: hqdefault (13).jpg (480x360, 14K)

Before anyone complains about dawn of sorrow being that high, the map design in that game is kino and I played the rom hack that removed the drawing gimmick.

>mix of Classicvania and Igavania
This always seemed pretty superficial to me, though. Something like Odallus is more of a balanced blend of the two than Order of Ecclesia.

>5. The best maps and level design

You mean the copy and pasted portrait area maps? Or the portrait maps that were just fucking squares?

Your other points are pretty valid though, I just dislike it due to the wasted partner mechanic and an even uglier anime art style than DoS.

I actually think the anime art style actually works in PoR because the game was designed with it in mind, not just portraits but also the character sprites and backgrounds.
Dawn of Sorrow still tried to have "realistic" looking backgrounds, enemies and even character sprites but then the portraits went full anime and absolutely clashed with everything.
That's why that Ayami Kojima style hack for it actually exists and why nobody bothered making one like that for PoR (because Kojima-style portraits would clash with the visuals of everything else in PoR).
And PoR is solid outside of the fucking inverted and mirrored portrait grind at the end of the game and both of the cancerous clown dimension portraits.
Those alone make it factually inferior to both DoS and OoE.

Not him but thank you.

Quite horrible but not as bad as empty igavania corridors

>Legends above Belmont's Revenge
Disgusting.

Hey James

Attached: MV5BMDI3ZmFlYjItYzA2OS00ODY1LWE1ZTUtNmE1OGEzOWM2YTk2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQzMjU1NjE@._V1_.jpg (1280x872, 533K)

Oh come on, 2 isn't worse than adventure. At least it fells good to control Simon in 2 as opposed to whatever the fuck they did with the way Christopher controls.

Those three were really tight and tough to compare. why do you prefer belmonts revenge? For that one you might be right

>HoD above any other Metroidvania

Not even with hacks is 2 good, both Adventure 1 and 2 have hacks that fix the controls.

what's his stand's name?

Dawn of Sorrow has the best castle map design of all the Igavanias IMO. Just the arrangement and the styling of all the different parts of the castle are really great, along with fun gimmicky stuff like the piano room and the slide puzzle room. It was my first game in the series though so I might be biased. By contrast I can't stand Aria's castle design, it's the worst part of the game for me.

Everything being so fucking arbitrary and such a chore is what ruined 2. The controls are fine but nothing was clear and there was almost no real bosses.
It improved on some things, and CoM was all around average at best.

>Legends
>Belmont revenge
Legends was not better then Belmont's Revenge.

Also.

>Dawn over SoTN
>No Rebirth mentioned

>Play HoD
>It's not bad
You liars

Attached: 54864655643.png (1138x812, 453K)

>It improved on some things, and CoM was all around average at best.
What did it improve? It was literally a fucking SotN asset flip downgraded for GBA hardware with 0 originality to it other than music (which got raped in conversion).

I think the fact that CotM has a certain degree of challenge puts it automatically above HoD which is by far the easiest Metroidvania.

It's not bad, but it's extremely mediocre and straight up inferior to all other Metroidvanias.

Juste Belmont is too chad for the average gamer. His speed and taste for interior decor are intimidating.

Very rarely do I see an opinion this based

>Ruined weapon variety from SotN, gave us more weapon types but made them feel all fucking generic and removed special attacks.
>Most equipment lacks a special effect.
>Gave us a fucking bunch of copy and paste souls.
>Had a shitty unmemorable Castle.
>Made enemies feel lees unique after losing animations.
>Only has 2 good boss fights (Julius and Balore).

>>beast at fucking anything.
Even DoS and HoD are better.

Belmont's Revenge actually has remarkably good level design and looks and sounds good alongside it. Legends in comparison is a total dull downgrade. It controls better than Adventure but its otherwise much closer in quality to it than Belmont's Revenge. Belmont's Revenge is trapped between two shitty games and no one ever pays any attention to it because of it. Christopher "Father of the Year" Belmont deserves better.

youtube.com/watch?v=WkxpLVYoz1Q
>let's remix one of the best songs in the series
>and make the best song in the series in the process
>niiiiice
>ok now let's not use this song anywhere and risk nobody ever even finding out this exists
WHAT were they THINKING?

Attached: avgn.jpg (480x360, 10K)

>Adventure got redeemed with Rebirth
>no Rebirth 2 to give Belmont's Revenge its due

>Super Castlevania.
Nah.

>All that fucking air control while jumping.
>Did you die? Don't worry you can improve your whip at max almost instantly

Hand Holding to the fucking max.

>Did you die? Don't worry you can improve your whip at max almost instantly
That applies to CV1 and 3 too though.

I'm not gonna say the n64 games are great but go play them on real hardware and tell me they don't play better then just about it every other 3d action game not called Zelda on the n64

I have a better question. Why does Castlevania have so much fucking good music?

ReBirth doesn't have that much in common with Adventure, though. It's a completely different game. It just supplanted Adventure as an excuse for the game to exist in the Castlevania timeline.

OP, I would say it's at least up there. Problem is it's too fucking easy. It's perfect on any other aspect. Good music, good sprite work for the low resolution, the character moves quick and can do things in mid air unlike the game that came before it, the soul system makes a replay worth more.

I ______ Charlotte!

Just played 1 through 4 recently and 4 has some bullshit parts. 2 is way easier then 4 if you just talk ememey encounters

Kinuyo Yamashita and Michiru Yamane.

Attached: Michiru_Yamane.jpg (220x218, 9K)

>4 has some bullshit parts.
...huh?

Attached: fredo.jpg (600x599, 45K)

>dashing around in HoD is just too much fun

How can people like CotM so much?

>The character turns around when you press the opposite direction while jumping, so you can't really face the enemy while heading backwards
>Running is a requirement most of the time because of how slow you walk and yet you have to keep pressing forward twice for that
>You can go through the game without touching DSS almost, because the drops are often rare
>Some effects are plain useless and for some of them you have to meticulously figure out what they do
>Characters that are pretty shallow and hard to even remember
>Huge backtracking that can be caused by making a little mistake
>Extras do not make it worth playing once again

The only good thing it has is the difficulty

That doesn't look like the best game at all, it doesn't even start with the word Curse.

Attached: Screenshot_114.png (352x492, 403K)

>Characters that are pretty shallow and hard to even remember
>even remember
CoTM had the best Camilla though.

Attached: Camilla.jpg (600x800, 199K)

The who or what now?

That's not even the best 3D castlevania

Harsh, user

Don't you mean had?
Both Yamane and Yamashita were poched by IGA and fucked off from Konami.

Are you retarded or are you just fucking with me?

it's still like 95% of the series, and the series is dead now, so yeah, all that's really left to talk about Castlevania is the past
what were the last good games to come out, again? OoE and The Adventure Rebirth?

>and the series is dead now
It just goes by a new name, Bloodstained, it's hardly dead.

Can't tell if bait

>SotN
>weapon variety

Attached: 1558014366739.png (292x348, 7K)

Those were also the last games to come out also, if we ignore Harmony of Despair that is.

the first song sounds like that loituma levan polka whatever

the spiritual successor that is also anothe series

>niggers talking about Battle of the Holy being unused in Adventure Rebirth files
>nobody mentions the fact they also had a fucking perfect retro-styled arrangement of Lost Painting
youtube.com/watch?v=KYX3hBgv_Ak
Eat shit, that's the best SotN track by a wide margin.

>we still don't have Harmony of Despair on PC to make rooms with Yea Forumsfags to farm Miser rings and make fun of people getting hit by Astarte's charm
aaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Attached: fjsklds.jpg (880x908, 340K)

The PS2vanias are pretty bland.

>Ruined weapon variety from SotN
What fucking variety?
Everything is the same, the only differences are superficial like animation speed, the sprite itself and in case of A FEW weapons, special attacks.

>best SotN track
ohnononono
>by a wide margin.
AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

youtube.com/watch?v=PS8ALhXLrPg
youtube.com/watch?v=j9JIuBGbCZk
youtube.com/watch?v=jZOUJlbYYJA
youtube.com/watch?v=b_4lIXJ4KwQ

Attached: 1547874144219.webm (960x640, 2.65M)

>Generic Waltz
>A good but otherwise nothing special track and not very memorable
>Dude le ebin dadrock shredding xDDDD
>Straight up ambient noise
Kill yourself.

Cancerous forced meme

>No Wandering Ghosts
Shit taste.

and there I was yesterday patching them all in individually like a jackass

Attached: 1548610207464.jpg (865x900, 65K)

>says Lost Painting is one of the best tracks in SotN
>tells someone else to kill himself
laffin all the way through
here's what Lost Painting WISHES it was:
youtu.be/A-6uLzTMoBE

The all-in-one also has additional fixes so I suggest just getting a clean rom and patching it with the all-in-one version.

His long ass fingers have always bothered me

>just realized creaking skeleton's giant foot is actually just his arm turned inward propping him up
oh god I'm fucking retarded

Attached: 1429572626494.jpg (728x636, 101K)

Fuck you, I like it.

Attached: 1550609861586.png (4096x3312, 140K)

Fuckin' based. One of my favorite tracks ever, user.

Rebirth is awesome but chronicles is awful

how the fuck did you even see a foot coming from his shoulder my dude

shit man i don't know it's a giant skeleton's upper half I just assumed it was supposed to be janky on purpose
I know I'm not alone because some fellow retard made an HD mockup and put a giant foot there

>crystal teardrops
MY NIGGA

>chronicles is awful
Chronicles is great, fuck off. The raft bit is a pain in the ass admittedly but the game is great otherwise. I always opt for the original version instead of the arrangement mode, though; drag queen Simon just doesn't work for me.

yeah I just went and did that, good thing I hadn't starting playing it

too easy

I just had an idea, I think I will do a skeleton run in AoS where I am only allowed to use skeleton related souls and wear skeleton themed gear. What kinds of weaponry should I use though?

Attached: 1524386230294.png (300x310, 4K)

Your knuckles.

I already did a Jojo run in DoS but maybe.

I don't think AoS had any bone weapons. But for pun purposes, I'd say knuckles, and death's scythe once you can get it.

handgun

good game, shit characters and villain

Death Scythe, obviously.

Already did my homework here, see what you guys think

It will be hard mode
>weapons
Lances only, not skeleton related (save for winged skeletons) but I never bothered with these kinds of weapons so why not. Death Scythe will be acquired but only used during the Chaos fight because it is OP as shit.
>armor
Leather plate, copper plate, iron plate, steel plate, armor of water/fire, silver plate, gold plate, death's robe (after beating Graham)

The idea is to mimic the skeleton warriors as I "rank up" through the armors, ultimately reaching Death mode (which is at the end for the sake of balance)
>accessories
Skull necklace only
>souls
Beam skeleton, bone pillar, creaking skull, dead crusader, Death, fish head, giant ghost, giant skeleton, gladiator, kicker skeleton, mandragora(?), man eater(?), mimic, Quezlcoatl, skeleton, skeleton knight, skeleton archer, waiter skeleton, white dragon, winged skeleton

Attached: 1452136566556.png (366x407, 233K)

Wasn't Dead Crusader a Zombie, though? Or am I confusing it for it's DS incarnation?
Also add Ghost to the list. I think AoS ghost was the tiny skeleton variant.
And short swords. Related to Skeleton Knight.

if you want something with a bit more difficulty try order of ecclesia.

nah, it's a reskin of the skeleton knight

Not him but they really cracked the formula in revenge. Everything flows better, jumping isn't a fucking nightmare and the soundtrack is stomping

Dead crusader was that red variant of the skeleton knight from the arena.
>I think AoS ghost was the tiny skeleton variant.
His sprite is tiny so I am gonna put him on "maybe".
>And short swords.
I want to be consistent about this but if there are no lances in early game I might consider it.

Same for all of this actually.

Sotn is greta but the inverted castle is shit. Dawns map I thought was more interesting without the fucking retarded second half. Also taking abilities from enemies is fun
I didnt play rebirth so no comment on that.
Sotn is great tho so a downgraded sotn is fine. Hod I thought had a better map and better polish, while com was clunky and the graphics were not very good.
I agree Hod is too easy but harder doesnt mean better.
this guy has good points on cotm
These are fair. Maybe I should move it up

Its music is grating, the graphics are the ugliest of the three GBA titles (not just due to the palette being bleached to account for non-backlit GBAs) and it's wholly unremarkable besides the elemental spellbook gimmick (and even then it's basically a poor man's DSS). Kind of a shame since I adore the simple yet satisfying and speedy core physics.

Alright, thanks for the feedback Yea Forums

Attached: 20190625_092351.jpg (2585x2022, 3.97M)

OH yeah, now I remember.
If I recall correctly, earliest lance you can get is from Hammer's shop, and that's after Boss 2.

shrines.rpgclassics.com/gba/cvaos/weapons.shtml
You are correct. I am gonna stick to short swords and rely mostly on souls until them.

SHOWTIME!!

aria is worse than sotn and only people who got into the series with it disagree

>only one attack button and no fighting game inputs so all you do the whole game is jump and slash like a spastic. none of the weapons have any gimmicks and the even stronger jump canceling means all weapons operate the same
>soul system consists of 2 powers and a passive stat boost so you need to constantly swap by going into the menu while alucard has nearly 2 dozen moves he can do at one time by the end of the game
>soul system is all about grinding at comically low drop rates to get powers that suck shit anyway, 80% of the souls are worthless compared to that last 20%
>everyone in castlevania is asian now to pander to japanese that weren't playing these games. also the game is full of hamfisted throwbacks to sotn for no reason because this game doesn't have any identity of its own
>soma moves slow as shit until you get black panther at the end of the game, compared to every other igavania where you have some kind of high speed option from the very beginning of the game

a cool boss fight against julius and the soul system being cool in idea aren't worth this games many flaws

SoTN, Rondo, and 3 are better. You kids are cute.

I forgot how shitty early game luck is. Time to grind.

Attached: 20190625_093335.jpg (2513x1885, 2.99M)

I love the Creaking Skull. It's so bad.

portrait of ruin is objectively the best of the DS games and probably the best igavania of all time

people sandbag it because of the anime asthetic even though the plot is directly tied to the actual castlevania series, the in-game visuals are just as they always are, and the plot is full of dark shit like dracula being revived by the holocaust

meanwhile sorrow and ooe have better visuals in the cutscenes you skip but embarassing anime plotlines about a waifu learning to smile again and isekai dracula going super saiyan if his gf dies

>luck
>AoS
It's fucking fucked m8, big time.
Good luck.

>everyone is suddenly japanese
This right here. Jesus christ what a bad idea.

Confession: I never worked out how to get the good ending and thus for my entire childhood never knew how to enter Julius's room and missed the chaos realm entirely

>Dracula get defeated for good by nippon and it's shrine maidens
>Everyone is nip besides Hammer, Julius and totally not Alucard (Who also took a nip name)

Japanese culture works really well with Castlevania due to how rich and exotic it is. It was a different approach but it worked really well while bringing lots of cool new enemies based on youkai.

julius is japanese too, his look is based on IGA

I disagree, weeb. Should've stayed European.

why exactly does castlevania need to reincarnate dracula into an Ordinary Japanese High School Student in order to use things from one mythology when it draws monsters from literally every mythology on the planet anyway?

There's no shrine maidens saying uguu in PoR and yet you have shinto enemies in that game just fine

Shit. Yeah you're right. I forgot that

shhh don't tell the weeb. you're gonna make him commit seppuku

Yeah, PoR is pretty good. I'd say the castle is probably my favorite out of the DS games. Though I feel that the partner system is kind of unneeded and it wasn't used that often. I would probably like it much better if we only played as solo Jonathan, since I almost never used Charlotte anyway.

It's not that surprising. My family thought SotN ended when you killed Richter.

If you can't appreciate a fat snake that likes to get drunk there isn't much I can tell you.
The high school setting is just popular among Japs because video games there tend to be targeted towards high school kids. Soma being a highschooler doesn't affect the plot anyways so I don't know why this is an issue for you.

As for how they deal with Dracula, shinto rituals have a lot of range due to the number of different techniques and rituals you can use against youkai, just like how in the west you would have different ways of dealing with vampires, werewolves, etc. Dracula's powers and the nature of the castle went beyond the usual sunlight and holy weapons, so it is not unbelievable that the Japs would have their own bag of tricks.

I agree with you, user.

>Dracula get defeated for good by nippon and it's shrine maidens
Why do you retards keep saying this?
That's what EARLY game tells you, but then the plot twist happens and you realize they didn't manage to do shit other than wiping Dracula's memory cause he still reincarnated just fine with all his powers (as Soma).

Which HoD though?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Harmony_of_Despair

Attached: billy_herrington.jpg (184x184, 4K)

And to add to this, all their ritual did with memory wiping Dracula was basically just giving him another chance at life and love.
It's also why Soma completely snaps and goes back to full Dracula mode in the bad ending of Dawn because his waifu got killed (again).
The entire point is that you don't fuck with Dracula's waifu lest you bring his wrath.

Harmony of Dissonance, judging by the other posts. I, personally, think it's all right, but not as good as it could.
I am a bit salty about having it on the double pack though, I can't get the old save bonus in Dawn because of it.

No, I know. I just wanted to mention the bizarre but ultimately kino experience that was multiplayer Castlevania.

Portait of Ruin is the best Igavania. Rondo of Blood is the best Classicvania.

there's a lot of high level strategies that involve the tag system and charlotte makes a lot of the game much easier with stuff like the spell that sucks up any projectiles on screen

JUSTE

they sealed the castle

castlevania is literally trapped by japanese, its a very fitting metaphor for what this shitty game did to the franchise

AoS is a good game, flawed but still good.

You guys are fuking retarded
>shrines.rpgclassics.com/gba/cvaos/weapons.shtml
>>Literally just stats and the occasional status/ele.

vs
>strategywiki.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night/Weapons
>>most weapons have 1 or 2 special attacks PLUS stats and status/ele.

Also
> the only differences are superficial like animation speed
Nigga, compare dagger weapons in SotN and AoS. Basillard is one of my favorite weapons in SotN and is literally unusable in AoS.

Face it, every single weapon in AoS is generic as fuck. There's absolutely nothing like summoning swords, shield rod, Mourneblade, Alucard sword, etc.

Shit there's barely any equipment effect in the game.

best songs in the game
youtube.com/watch?v=SQxs-WEFRJY
youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmrNA6ifc

dont forget that because jump canceling is worse the idea of a weapon having a fast attack speed but less damage/range actually means someting

"""sealed""" and yet Soma can still summon it by merely being awake during full moon, they did jack shit, you're greatly exaggerating the "nippon banzai" thing.

>>>Literally just stats and the occasional status/ele.
Did you forget the different fucking weapon types actually having completely different animations, reach and whatnot in Aria?
In SotN literally everything has the same Alucard Sword animation.

It's non-linear to a fault. In good Metroidvanias there's normally an ebb and flow to exploration and power ups. You get a new ability, and you backtrack to see where you can use it, and then you dins a nook on the way that gives you another ability, and you keep backtracking and by the time you get back to the first area you've found a bunch of things. In HoD you'll get a power up and have to backtrack the entire length of the map to find the next one. This ping ponging back and forth can be both tedious and confusing if you're used to finding things faster.

Soma's spanish though.

Attached: 1560372508197.png (3840x2560, 90K)

ok.
>Lance
>Blunt over head and Slash over head.
>Dagger (completely fucking ruined by the way) and Fist
>Horizontal slash

Well at least it has Handguns and whip sword.

Nigger, there's more soul in Muramasa, Nunchaku, Estoc, Yasutsuna Chrakram, Runesword, Heaven Sword, Basillard, Sword of Dawn and so on.

His power being sealed off is how Dracula is able to actually die to begin with. Soma is an outright reincarnation, not just Dracula coming back again as per usual.

>Soma is an outright reincarnation, not just Dracula coming back again as per usual.
The only difference is that one retains the memories (the way he came back until now) and the other doesn't (respawning as Soma).
They didn't stop his respawning, he still respawns (as evidenced by Soma).
They didn't stop his castle, as evidenced by Soma summoning it by merely being close to a full moon.
They didn't stop his powers, as evidenced by Soma having them.

Literally all they accomplished in the grand scheme of things was effectively wiping Dracula's memory when you thing about practical end-result.

Reminder that Dawn isn't even a real Castlevania game because the titular fucking thing (Castlevania itself, as in Dracula's Castle) is not in the fucking game.

Soma still is not the same thing as Dracula's normal revivals.

Simply because he lacks his memory, he's still only a single waifu death away from being back to his usual self as fucking proven in DoS.
All it takes is a single mugger to kill his girl on the street or a single car crash and you've got the Prince of Darkness back.

you're a fucking retard

I've always thought that Zangetsu looked like Gabriel Belmont fromt the reboots

What other games in the series don't have Dracula's castle in it? I guess it doesn't appear in Lament of Innocence, right?

Yeah seriously, how the fuck did the church miss a doomsday cult rebuilding an accurate replica of Drac's castle and populating it with hundreds of demons? Best case scenario they bought an existing castle, did some rennovations and then imported a shitton of demons, which is still pretty conspicuous.

The game went on an on about nature trying to fill the void left by Drac's absence, would it really have been hard to say it was Drac's old castle searching for a new master?

This sounds like generic shit. No one knows how to properly remake Dissonances OST.

non-earrape successor of fate
youtube.com/watch?v=y-A1NWI5Y1U

Lament is the same castle, but owned by the previous owner (Walter).

Circle of the Moon too.

I mean, the point is that there's a literal portal to hell in that mansion (you go to hell in that final location, they translated it as Abyss in English version as soft censorship though) so all the monsters just come from that hell portal I'd assume.

Is Soma a vampire? Is he immortal(as in, cannot die unless killed)?
Also, according to Alucard he "lost" his powers between Aria and Dawn, so as long as he isnt using his powers, he cant come back as Dracula.

No he's not.

>Soma Kurusu
That's not a Spanish name.

Also, if he gets killed, will he come back as Soma or as old Dracula?

getting lost simulator

He didn't lose his powers though, we literally see him summon shit at the very beginning in the middle of Shinjuku street.
He definitely weakened though.

>Is Soma a vampire?
>Is he immortal(as in, cannot die unless killed)
Never stated as yes or not.

He sure as shit didn't age though between AoS and DoS.

As Soma most likely, cause that's his Mathias Cronqvist persona aka what he used to be before becoming Dracula.

My taste is flawless, if you disagree then you have shit taste.

SotN>OoE>PoR>AoS>DoS>HoD>CotM

Attached: 1472740144124.jpg (530x398, 34K)

>He sure as shit didn't age though between AoS and DoS.
There's only a year between the two, you realize?
Nothing suggests that, other than his sensitivity to waifu-killings. Reincarnation doesn't imply you have the same personality.

It's also worth pointing out that Julius, Alucard and Yoko genuinely thought they got Dracula axed for good and didn't immediately realize that Soma is his reincarnation until halfway through AoS and by that point they decided to roll with it and keep lying to him to make sure he doesn't get his memories back and go apeshit.

>Nothing suggests that
Did ya even watch the LoI intro? Mathias has the same backstory as Bram Stoker's Dracula in that he was a goody twoshoes, humble man that can do no wrong but then he came back home and his waifu was dead so his mental condition started to deteriorate.
Same goes for Soma, he's a good person only as long as his waifu lives and then he goes full satan if she dies.

Meant to reply to

>English version made him spanish
>Japanese name is phonetically the same as Soma Cruz just with a vastly different meaning

Huh.

>Same goes for Soma, he's a good person only as long as his waifu lives and then he goes full satan if she dies.
That doesn't mean he'll always be that way. That's kind of the whole point of Alucard's statement to Soma at the end of Dawn of Sorrow.

>as long as his waifu lives and then he goes full satan if she dies.
I wonder how Satan feels about Dracula being a highschooler hero now, the whole Dracula thing happened because Mathias made a deal with the devil, right? Or am I confusing origin stories?

You and me both know that's just wishful thinking on Alucard's part and that his dark side will always be there in Soma and his future reincarnations.

I thought the implication was Alucard was going to take his place as the Lord of Darkness so his dad's soul could be happy.

I really want to see Alucard eat crow for that.

Circle of the moon is fucking garbage you stupid GBA nostalgiafag

Why is creaking skeleton a meme

Shit taste, user.

play super castlevania 4. its like the originals but with extra whip control and baller music. My personal favorite

Attached: 1500670695808.png (3840x2560, 99K)

Soma becoming Dracula 2.0 would be a pointless and boring development for the story, though, not that Castlevania has ever had a great story. Obviously we don't have a sequel to Dawn of Sorrow, so who knows, but I think Alucard's statement was a thematic encapsulation of the Sorrow games. Both games involve Soma rejecting Dracula's legacy. He resists becoming the Dark Lord through sheer willpower in both games.
Why?
That is the implication, yeah, but that doesn't mean anything for Soma. Alucard becoming Dracula 2.0 would be similarly stupid, though.

Am I the only one who liked Circle of the Moon?

Attached: 1274327693316.jpg (600x524, 49K)

>Or am I confusing origin stories?
You are, play Lament of Innocence.
Mathias becomes Dracula by getting his hands on the Crimson Stone which grants him control over Death itself.
Walter, the vampire villain of LoI, has the weaker Ebony Stone which surrounds its owner in perpetual night.
The entire game both stones are built up, but Crimson is thought lost while Walter has the Ebony one.
As you break Walter's Ebony stone and kill him, in comes strutting Mathias revealing that he had the Crimson Stone all along, absorbs Walter's powers into it (becoming a vampire in the process and getting control over all of Walker's powers) and just orders Death to kill you.
Leon beats Death, but Mathias and Death fuck off while Leon says FUCK YOU AND THE NIGHT.
Mathias goes into hiding after that, gets a new waifu with whom he has Alucard and centuries go by.
Enter CV3 and Mathias (now known as Dracula) is wrecking shit cause his waifu was killed and its up to Trevor, descendant of Leon to stop him.

>giving milk to a skeleton
Absolute madman.

Attached: 1547877928935.png (800x480, 714K)

>play Lament of Innocence.
Why do you suggest such hurtful things? He's merely a confused soul, not a masochist with an interest in Meg Ryan.

Fuck you and the night for dismissing LoI, it's unironically a good game and has amazing soundtrack.
Basically Classicvania in 3D format, while Curse of Darkness is a Metroidvania in 3D format.
I prefer LoI out of the two though.

> Mathias made a deal with the devil
I think that's the Dracula movie from the nineties.

>especially compared to OoE
OoE is arguably not even a Metroidvania.

Nah, that's Hellsing actually.
In the Copolla movie, he just curses God for killing his waifu while he was off crusading in the middle east which causes the Holy Water in his castle's chapel to turn into blood which he then showers himself in and that somehow makes him into a vampire.

OoE is basically Castlevania 2 done right.
It has the exact same setup, a hub village, various separate, disconnected locations you access through a world map and the final location is a shortened, simplified Dracula's Castle.

I actually played LoL, just didnt finish it, kind of a bad game imo. Whips dont work in 3d environments.

It's extremely bland, music aside.
>basically Classicvania in 3D format
No it isn't. Not even close.
The whip isn't the issue; the game's level design and combat are just very boring.

>Focalor
He's so cool, bnut would get butchered like Andrealphus and Valefar anyway
>Valefar in CotM awaits you in the dazzling abyss filled with gold and riches, after dying his illusion fades away revealing it's a giant corpse filled graveyard probably filled by those he fooled
>Valefar in RotN is retard standing confused and lost in an upscaled garden where he doesn't fit and plays with casino tokens?
What the absolute fuck?

It's extremely, painfully obvious which parts of RotN were done by a different developer and it really hurts.
RotN in general just feels low quality, even if the gameplay and "soul" is there.