What's the worst JRPG you've played?

What's the worst JRPG you've played?

Attached: kYdTpf7ZLI.jpg (1920x1080, 838K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/cAsR2O4XTGqy65V9iUr3Tg/
mother3.fobby.net/
twitter.com/StarOcean/status/1132247692287987714/photo/1
boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/7eHXNsruDOsMIROi78Pbkg/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Chrono trigger and not even memeing. Unbelievably juvenile, simplistic dialogue and horribly boring locations that you spend way too much time in, especially the distant future and past

Magna Carta is the worst one I can remember.

Persona 5

Final Fantasy 2.

I can't agree, as I've played far worse, like fucking Legend of Goku on GBA, but CT really is lacking in actual substance and gets by almost entirely on its aesthetics. The way the time travel/multiple ending mechanics are actually used is really horribly underwhelming.

Final Fantasy XIII is the worst one I finished. Not sure about which one is the worst I've played.

Which ever your favorite one is

Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy 2. Nobody can tell me they liked those.

Probably the original Neptunia (the remake wasn't much better)

This, as well as FF2

paper mario sticker star

>Persona games
>FF XII
>DQVIII
These I didn't like at all.
Maybe because I got spoiled by SaGa, SMT, Shadow Hearts, Legend of Legaia, Suikoden and many more.

I've only played a couple hours of Lost Sphear so far, is there a reason why the cliff looks just like the one from I am Setsuna?

The 7th Saga. Over-tuned as fuck and just dull.

I would say Ar Tonelico 2. The fact they managed to bug a PS2 game to the point you chose a branching path and suddenly you ended up with half the cutscenes of the other, and fighting the MC's waifu you chose to protect rather than the one you chose to fight speaks volumes about their incompetence.

Is Lost Sphear really not an improvement on I am Setsuna?
I hoped it would be. It even had mechs.

I've almost bought it several times but refrained from doing so in the end every time.

Worst one I've finished was FF9. the final boss song is kino though.

In terms of sheer JRPG? Pokemon. It's a JRPG where you control one character and your enemy also controls one character and you take turns hitting eachother. There's no depth and they refuse to use double battles.
But I feel like pokemon doesn't count because people don't play it for the gameplay.

XBC2 is a really bad JRPG that's trying really hard to be a JRPG. The game is packed with features and shit to do but all of it lacks any meaning and it mostly just happens passively. Characters and blades both have several skill trees and weapon choices but it's really only the illusion of choice because the game plays EXACTLY the same if you forget they existed. EVERY single battle plays out the same and there are no interesting strategies to pull off.
I forced myself to play about 20 hours of it hoping to see more interesting waifus but all I got was gachashit, some blonde haired bitch, and an isekai protag
The world looks pretty nice but it's designed like garbage from a gameplay perspective.

Nier Automata.
I haven't played a huge amount of JRPGs but still it was a pretty mediocre experience for how overhyped it was.

I love Xenogear and Xenosaga to dead, but my god saga 2 was just ... horrible
and FF13 made me lost all my faith in FF in general, even after the top tier setting that is Ivalice

inb4 the "it gets good at chapter 8 out of 10, 60 hours in!" defense force

What do you mean by double battle? If you mean what I think you mean, they've had that since at least gen 3 you massive faggot

Final Fantasy XIII

Same devs

Haven't played that many bad ones. Golden Sun Dark Dawn maybe.

Dragon Quest 8 is probably the worst RPG that I still put a fair bit of time into. I kept expecting it to get better for some reason, but it never did.

>XBC2 is a really bad JRPG that's trying really hard to be a JRPG. The game is packed with features and shit to do but all of it lacks any meaning and it mostly just happens passively. Characters and blades both have several skill trees and weapon choices but it's really only the illusion of choice because the game plays EXACTLY the same if you forget they existed. EVERY single battle plays out the same and there are no interesting strategies to pull off.
I haven't played 2 yet, but I feel the same about the first one. I've played it for 20 hours and don't understand how it gets all that praise.

>Same devs
Yeah, I was wondering if there was a plot reason. Then again, I'd rather not know in case there was.

It does get good 65 hours in because it ends.

they just resonate with modern audience

>open world aka BIG game
>collect shit aka LONG hours

I played more compile hearts and idea factory games than I care to admit during the long jrp droughts of the late 2000s early 2010s and my fucking god they were all offensively bad

I'm going to ascribe the category of worse to Trinity Universe for no particular reason other than it didn't even bother to have a fucking story

Attached: file.png (250x290, 184K)

which ones have the best waifus

worst i finished: digimon world 3
worst i played: breath of fire dragon quarter
this was consistently the worst dungeon crawler i ever played,no save points ever,"haha! tricked you into a trap boss fight!" moments all over the place,god,it was boring and making you lose hours of progress for falling into death traps was the end for me,even worse than dark souls' "you died because you didnt have a chance to know what was going to happen" moments

Lunar Dragon Song. I only beat it because I was tired of

Attached: 1540394631863.jpg (1024x768, 223K)

Probably Cross Edge since it has characters from actually good game companies

Xenosaga 2.

Worst part is that it's the best Xenoblade by a mile and it's still garbage. Says a lot about the sorry state of Xeno, the series should have died after Xenosaga 3.

Neptunia 4 godesses online I guess, an abortion of MMO gameplay: fights are bad, and long.
Pretty much compile earth toying with UE4 and selling it 50 bucks.

that game was terrible

They've had it, but it's not part of the game "campaigns" outside of a handful of battles (except for the GC games)
If you want to play double or triple battles, you have to go to the battle tower (or the regional variant) to do so, when really they should have just made doubles the defacto format or at least an option to play all the time, because it actually lets the game have a little bit of strategic depth compared to the puddle that is single battles.

Persona 5

Most JRPGs have far less depth than Pokemon. You'd never even think about bluffing your opponent in 99% of them.

>he didnt get ending e

>Square Enix had the chance to make turn-based JPRG mainstream again with FF7 Remake
> Noped, market research department says no no

So Persona and Dragon Quest are the only series left that will be closest to mainstream AAA true JRPG right?

inb4 ATB isn't turn-based. fuck off autists

Attached: scaredgundam.jpg (421x480, 73K)

FIFA. Definitely the worst JRPG.

FF has been dead since X-2, who cares

Curious - which JRPGs did you enjoy then?

>persona
>true jrpg
>halfassed jrpg and halfassed dating sim

infinite undiscovery
I wish I could undiscover that game

Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible.

At least music was kinda cool.

Attached: xenotrash6.webm (640x360, 2.97M)

so this is what the best talent of Monolith Soft is capable of

Was going to say this, but
was reminded of this. Holy SHIT, what an awful game.

But I did though.
Sorry your melodramatic waifu game isn't as good as you hyped it up to be.

Neptunia

Persona 2

I recently tried DQ11 and I don't think I've dropped a JRPG faster. I could stand the silent protagonist coupled with the english VA. The girl's voice was so fucking annoying. I heard some re-release is going to have dual audio so I'm going to give that a shot if/when it comes to PC too.
I'm a Talesfag for the curious.

>LOOK, I POSTED IT AGAIN
boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/cAsR2O4XTGqy65V9iUr3Tg/

as for worst JRPG, I will have to go with this.
>most of the story is in the CGI movie/DLCs despite being worked on for 10 years
>story DLC was "cancelled"
>cancelled DLC brought back as a book and retcons everything so the bad guy THAT TRIED TO DESTROY THE WORLD was not the real bad guy and the god are the true badguys
>Empty as fuck open world
>Hold O to win combat because the director wanted to pander to casuals

Attached: FINAL-FANTASY-XV_20161127125208.jpg (1920x1080, 260K)

Legend of Goku and Legend of Goku 2 were great. You probably couldn't figure out the combat or stages.

So you throw a hissyfit anytime the casting for a game pulls any voice actors outside of the tiny pool of funimation dubbers?

I see you have bad taste syndrome right there. Lost Sphear is fucking great and better than 90% of modern JRPGs.

stop defending it, its cringe

My main issue with her was her accent. It felt really forced and unreal to me. In real life, I LOVE people with accents (both genders) so something must have just not sat well with me.

who are you talking about

I forget her name since it's been a few months, but whoever your female companion/child hood friend is.

Jade? she has a combined screen time of maybe 10 minutes through the whole game, you dont need to ever have her in the party. if thats you're only reason for not playing the game you have autism

this kek

wait, are you talking about the girl in the opening tutorial? you see her once in act 2 for less than a minute after that intro you couldnt get through. let me see your autism papers.

>one of two cherrypicked moments of Xenoblade 2
>THE ENTIRE GAME IS LIKE THIS I SWEAR

I think he means the one you climb the mountain with at the start

That's actually not a JRPG.

Yeah her, a quick google says it's Gemma, I guess. If she's really in the game for that short of a time, I suppose I can pirate it again to see how I like the rest of the game.

hyperdimension neptunia

each region and town you visit is supposed to represent a different country or ethnicity. everyone in the first village sounds cockney for a reason.

Has there ever been a jrpg that played like a cRPG? Like a japanese take on Diablo or Divinity?

Journey To Kreisia

y'all fags naming popular RPGs instead of actual garbage. Shame on you

Earthlock. Perhaps the only game I've ever dropped altogether

Count me re-interested then. Thanks anons.

Cold Steel.

>y'all fags naming popular RPGs instead of actual garbage
That's because either some of these games were either so bad that we never heard of them, or were researched before playing and user said "I don't think I would like this" so they never end up playing them.

>nobody mentioned Star Ocean 4
It took all of the bad games design in the games posted in this thread and make a huge, lifeless and generic game out of them.

theres even a stereotypical japanese hot spring village where every single person speaks in haikus

Octopath Traveller.

Bonus points go to every JRPG where the final boss music was the normal boss music.

no, those games are completely different
and people will argue with me over the fact that a JRPG is always some kind of turn based shit by definition

For me also.

Octopath Traveler would have to be mine. I was excited to try it out because I've heard good things about the game. Bought it on Steam full price.

Now the aesthetics of the game are pretty nice as well with the combat system but I just can't get over the glaringly bad voice acting, canned generic one liners in VA that correspond to sentences of written text.

If it's not that, it's the initial starting area that really got me caught up and made me drop it. Why is it that after you've completed the initial story area for any character the NPC's treat you as though they've never met you? Even in Alfyn's case which is really bizarre.

>that fucking cat

Attached: 1393122761373.gif (404x416, 204K)

and a tourist trap chinese village where everyone tries to sell you bullshit trinkets

Oh fuck I forgot about Star Ocean. I demo'ed whichever version was on steam and I dropped it even faster than I did in . Holy fuck the combat just seemed like a pile of shit when I finally got to play it.

What are some examples of Japanese cRPG? I'm really interested to see what Japan does with some of these game systems. inb4 they ignore rule books and just make tactical RPGs

Star Ocean died for most people after 3

I'm playing Octopath and I'm having a fantastic time. Here's a list of games I tried playing but ended up dropping before I got to Octopath
>FFVI
>DQVIII
>Tales of Berseria, Xillia, Zestiria, Graces R
>FFVII
>Persona 5

Do I just have shit taste? I was thinking Earthbound after I beat Octopath

I bought this when I was a teen because I went a little crazy on the DSi shop when I had tons of free time. It's been sitting in my backlog since then. I just started playing it and I have to call it the worst JRPG I've played by a wide margin. Unbelievably there are sequels to this game somehow. I won't get into why it sucks so bad because it's something you have to play to understand. Hopefully I'll find another user in this thread who's played this

Attached: Zenonia_start_screen.jpg (387x258, 26K)

Drakengard 3

>go back to Tressa's Parents
>what can I do for you?

Attached: 1555592561957.gif (250x308, 1.88M)

different strokes? Me I liked OT, was mildly OK with FF6 and 7, but I fucking love FF5. Unsurprisingly it's a big inspiration for OT and bravely. I suggest you play that at some point.

>The game is packed with features and shit to do but all of it lacks any meaning and it mostly just happens passively.
This is my biggest problem with the game, but you're also retarded.

FFX by far
>combat is a pretty rock-paper-scissors, summons being the only redeeming mechanic
>and there's a random encounter every five steps
>temples are huge time wasters since they add nothing of interest and the puzzles are braindead
>characters are borderline retarded and the party looks like a clown car
>the game's map is a long straight road
>unskippable 10 minute cutscenes, some of them right before a boss
Playing through this is a big regret of mine. I kept pushing because my friend kept nagging me about how good the story was and shit. Suffering nore than 50 hours of this for a beeg tweest and a couple of good scenes that are immediately ruined by Tidus being a retard is not worth it.

Attached: 91fvLBzuPeL._SL1500_.jpg (1273x1500, 343K)

Those idolmaster designs tho

Final Fantasy XV

xenosaga 2

I've literally never heard anyone mention FF5 before

Tales of Phantasia IOS is the absolute worst fucking thing on the planet. Its impressive that a perfectly fine game was even able to be fucked over so hard by a combination of incompetence and greed.

>game controls like shit, combat feels imprecise and you fucking zoom around in towns/dungeons
>a buncha mid dungeon saves removed to shill a mid battle revival item that costs real cash
>items cost more money and the difficulty is locked at a high one, you fucking know why
>requires an internet connection to play because fuck you

Attached: 71B5964F-2056-4939-8699-68506A3CDB56.jpg (2048x1536, 359K)

I think it really depends on why you dropped whichever games. Earthbound is good but Mother 3 is better. You won't be missing out on too much if you start with 3.
There's a little section that basically cameos a bunch of statues of characters from Earthbound but other than that, there shouldn't be anything else.

Are you living in a shelter? I feel like FF V is one of the most popular games in the series, at least here on Yea Forums.

I need something I can play handheld, I already have Earthbound on WiiU. I might check out Mother 3 when I have more down time

Trails in the sky 1

Ni No Kuni. It's boring, the music sucks and the characters never stop talking. They literally made a very mediocre studio ghibli movie and slapped the worst possible gameplay + a pokemon clone on it.

Attached: ninokuni.jpg (240x240, 28K)

FF6 is probably the worst game I've ever played.

how can you post on here after playing only one game?

pokemon

Faggot

I don't know about worst but original Atelier Rorona is the most clunkiest bullshit JRPG I've ever played. It felt older than a lot of stuff on the PS2. The remake is way way better

>Those idolmaster designs tho
The older Lunar games also have the same character designer bro.

korean, japanese, what's the difference, really.

Maybe because I don't enter JRPG threads usually but I found that
>FF is necessary
>II is bad
>III is something different
>IV ???
>V ???
>VI is the unsung favourite
>VII is the normalfags favourite
>VIII is pretty much hated but had some cool ideas
>IX is the contrarian choice
>X is boomer core
>XIII is waifubait
>XIV is better than wow
>XV is trash

Attached: 1553732213855.gif (245x184, 1.62M)

If you have anything that can run a GBA emulator, then you can play Mother 3. I should also mention that you would need to use an English patcher since it's never been localized for numerous reasons.
mother3.fobby.net/

I'm not going to tag every one of you memers, but none of you have suffered from the worst of the worst

Demikids in GBA

Demikids. It felt like an RPG maker game.

I really like CT but I think it might be because I was really young when I played it. I haven't really played it in a while so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now.

Demimind

>He thinks it's about the waifus
W R O N G
R
O
N
G

>y'all fags naming popular RPGs instead of actual garbage. Shame on you
These threads usually aren't about the worst games objectively speaking, but the games you had the worst time with despite it being a genre you enjoy.

Chrono Trigger is definitely not the worst I've played, like FF7 it's a decent game but it is definitely overrated.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the new world
>basically just a shit rehash of Tales of Symphonia with everything good sucked out of it
>shits all over the ending of symphonia
>party consists of only two characters plus a bunch of (poke)monsters you can randomly recruit after battles
>the two main characters are unbearable
>retarded anime tier plot (even compared to the other tales of games)
>atrocious voice acting
>no world map, just a couple of locations on a map screen
>the 200 or so side missions take place on the same small 5 maps
>multiple endings that are dependant on decisions you make along the way that you probably won't even notice are even choices without using a guide
>graphics somehow look worse than the GMC predecessor

Attached: 71MxKXAH0oL._SY445_[1].jpg (311x445, 45K)

If you got all the way to ending e and thought it was the WORST JRPG OF ALL TIME there has to be something going on with you. And it's not that you have superior taste

Thanks for posting. I downloaded a shitload of PS2 games this weekend and skipped over FFX despite wanting to try it. Now I can feel justified.

how dare you make me remember this

Attached: 1555583452874.gif (200x200, 1.6M)

game is pretty trash but dat air combat and monster breeding was fun as af and made me not give a shit.

Yes, you have shit taste and are probably a zoomer

the final fantasy with junction

just a well adjusted boomer who doesn't care about anime stories and waifus

>this shit goes all the way back to 2017
good lord

Imagine being this contrarian

>tfw lunar, lufia, star ocean all died a most horrible death

Attached: 9f3jkjkdf345.jpg (960x530, 46K)

Ffx's story is the ultimate brainlet filter. You're retarded

Jesus. the menus look like something *I* would make.

FFX was the last FF I ever played. It soured me on the entire franchise. Really good combat system but almost the entire game is a walking simulator. Sure, it makes sense since it's a pilgrimage I guess but still.

>star ocean
I mean, there is a remaster of the first game coming out.
Again.

That 2 minute out of 120 minutes total cutscene is just a poop in an ocean of heartwarming adventure, and even that is tolerable for its cheesy British voice acting
>INTERLOPERS
>MONSTERS
>YOU STARED.... PERVERT!

Story was trash but if this was honestly the worst you've played then you need to broaden your horizons. It's not even the worst Tales Of game (Radiant Mythology and Graces are contenders)

Neptunia rebirth 1. Combat and dungeons are boring to the point where I installed cheat engine to triple the game speed. Still eventually quit because there where other games to play.

Ni no kuni or legend of dragoon.

Lunar was never good.
Lufia tried a reboot and it sucked.
Star Ocean is getting another remaster I think.

wait seriously. what is it a hd of the psp version? I actually liked the first game alot story and character wise the psp remake was good but not balanced could steamroll most of the game

pussy

Haven't played a lot of JRPG but Neptunia was the worst

twitter.com/StarOcean/status/1132247692287987714/photo/1
Yeah the psp remake.

Lunar 2 is one of the best jrpgs ever bite me

Attached: Lunar-2-Eternal-Blue-Complete.jpg (1024x720, 116K)

pokemon usum.

Ffvi, vii and dqviii are great independent of waifus

I hate FFVIII. Not because the game is broken, as pretty much every FF game is broken, but because the game is just boringly broken. You junction for big damage, that's it. Absolutely no flavor, no "aah, this armor gives me X", just "yeah you do a lot of damage now, gg."

I guess they're just not for me user. They weren't very fun after the first 5 hours or so

FPWP
I think it’s either a complete lack of experience, or total laziness on your part to call it the worst JRPG ever. I would even agree with you it has problems, but considering how many JRPG’s are out there it’s one hell of a platitude to call CT the worst.

Attached: 23561F31-D8D2-4456-A07D-E09B5FADFFB6.jpg (500x384, 41K)

they need to upgrade to like star ocean 3-4 combat in this and maybe ill be interested. still i would miss pre rendered backgrounds if they went 3d

I only played FF8 for the story and the great world design. I cheated with a gameshark whenever I had to.

magic is the gear in your example. you seek it out and grind for it like you would gold and gear. you just have autism

they've improved a lot since then, though. the galapagos rpg project is the best thing that ever happened to if/ch.

Attached: 4059A856-8674-4520-80C3-A57125EEDEAE.jpg (500x713, 158K)

I agree vi is boring until WoR. If you're five hours into vii i imagine you're still in midgar or worse kalm flashback so just play a bit longer. If you don't like open world you won't like dqviii

i personally don't know of any japanese CRPGs

Easy answer

Attached: hoshi wo miru hito.jpg (640x640, 131K)

Strongly disagree, WoR is the exact point where VI goes to shit for me

of the few that I've played, Persona 4

maybe he just played the selection of critically acclaimed jrpgs and nothing

Treasure of the Rudras. Someone on Yea Forums hailed it as some hidden masterpiece. It was anything but.

Very true, FFVIII is broken as fuck but not a fun kind of broken. Breaking FFVII is way more enjoyable.

Bit late to take the bait but aside from your gf at the start who features in about 2% of the entire game all the voice acting is very well done and you cucked yourself out of a top tier game for retard contrarian reasons

Faggots

>linearfag detected

I didn't know that I dropped it 2 steps before she was out of the picture but some other anons gave me more information and persuaded me to try it again.

Worst I played: FF2
Worst I finished: FFXV

Pokemon Red/Blue

that's not even the WORST spammed Cherrypicked scene

boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/7eHXNsruDOsMIROi78Pbkg/
>over 700 times since 2017
that is the rate of nearly ONCE A DAY

based
fuck chrono nigger

Tales of Xillia 2. Don't know why the direct sequels of the Tales of games had to be so damn restrictive of what party members you could bring, not to mention there was literally no effort in changing the returning maps from the first game, just straight up copy and paste.
Fractured Milla best girl though.

Persona 5
it's also the best JRPG I've ever played
I've only played 1 JRPG

Story was garbage but Emil's arc was actually solid. Rare to see a genuine beta go full chad and have it feel genuine.
That and the combat and monster making was fun.

Radiant Historia. It's not even bad, just incredibly boring

Attached: 1554791297294.png (394x303, 200K)

Why

Lunatic Dawn
Most of Falcom's stuff
Most of KOEI's older stuff

FFXV

Xenoblade 2

Eternal Sonata, what a snoozefest

trails in the sky was godawful in almost every front

Xenoblade X

i want reddit to leave.

I mean, the actual worst JRPG I ever played was Beyond the Beyond. It just wasn't very fun, and it unironically felt like a SNES game they just slapped on the PS1

Brigandine

Attached: haley porter.jpg (320x320, 19K)

What was wrong with Eternal Sonata? I remember playing the demo on the 360 and really liked it, but then I played Vesperia and forgot about it.

are you implying that disliking that garbage is bad, or that reddit has a much lesser tolerance for bullshit?

I don't hate pokemon either, but game is trash

Attached: 47fa0411-aa20-419b-a899-c118abcb4fe5_1.6cd5bf5fcbd676fd952c64199ba38444.jpg (450x450, 47K)

I'm one of probably 5 people who played this shit and I dropped it immediately after the first battle.

Attached: BLES00861.jpg (2000x1080, 1.06M)

Final Fantasy XIII. I cannot believe that people unironically said
>It gets better 30 hours in!
When all that happens is that you get to do some utterly-irrelevant monster hunting sidequests.

It legitimately shocked me how shit the postgame was in these games

Your opinion is shit and you didn't understand anything about the game.

I bought that game.

It wasn't offensively bad, it was badly designed. Like Magic made no fucking sense and there was one mechanic that the manual made it seem like it was a big deal but I ran into it like TWICE in the 14 hours I played it.

So the GBA version is no longer the worst version?

It is again, because you cannot play the iOS version legitimately. only months after it came up, the reception was so bad that Bamco shut down the servers for it. they have a full, less shit localization of the game lying around on this thing, and they can't be assed to port the game again more properly

the combat was just really repetitive and boring

Speaking of worst JRPG/best JRPG/whatever, why does it whenever people give their opinion on Xenoblade 2 its either the worst game ever made or the best game ever made? It's like there's no middle ground

I know people who claim it's up there with Skies of Arcadia or Grandia 2 and I know people who call it Neptunia-tier kusoge.

Legend of Dragoon.
Shadow Madness.
FF2, 8, 13 and 15.
Sands of Destruction.
Persona series.
Shadow Hearts FTNW
Tokyo RPG Factory, Gust and Compile Hearts kusoge.

Attached: 1538436039740.gif (318x472, 35K)

it's a switch exclusive, so it's shilled like crazy by console war shitposters. idorts who don't have pointless bragging rights on the line can clearly see it's a shit game.

one of it's worst flaws, true. but the whole game stinks. stuff like pic related, gamefreak just being all around hacks at their job.

Attached: ORNENWi.png (493x281, 252K)

It's a mix of console warriors, kneejerk reaction to xenoplebs spamming this shit all day and some genuine criticism or appreciation for what the game does.

Because XB2 itself is polarising. You have a solid Takahashi story and great character designs on one hand, you have cringeworthy humour and borderline mobage tier gameplay elements on another. For some people something on that list is a complete deal breaker and i can understand them.

It's an objectively terrible JRPG
But it's also extremely soul-filled, it was created as a callback to a lot of the anime and JRPGs the team used to like or grow up with ages ago. Probably the most soulful JRPG of the last 15 years.
Also it's the only Xeno game of the last decade where Monolith tried to so something interesting, Takahashi doesn't like Xenoblade 1 and claims fans overrate it, the way he talks about Xenoblade X is like its a tech demo, he seems really proud of Xenoblade 2 though calling its story a culmination of everything he's wanted to write into an RPG over the last 25 years

Same for me. Time travel stories in general are bad.

Nowadays, people use hyperbole much more in order to get a reaction. It's like when people said that KH3 was complete shit, when the game is (in my opinion anyhow) a 6 or 7/10 at worst. That being said I think that opinions are pretty mixed about XB2 in general. This one chick I know IRL who likes RPGs said that it was total garbage and that she regretted purchasing it for example

>Chrono trigger
>worst JRPG you've ever played
I envy you.

>great character designs
that's a joke, right?

Beyond the beyond for the ps1

Magna Carta 2 was kino though

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. Lame cast, obtuse menus, boring exploration/combat.

>You have a solid Takahashi story
Takahashi's stories are a joke.
>and great character designs
But this is a bigger joke.

Not him but among the story cast, I can only think of Rex and Pyra as lacking designs. Mythra only looks awkward in-game.

that random encounter rate was fucking cancer. good music though

Should I try this?
People recommend that I reduce EXP gain by 50% because I hate being overleveled in games and I tend to do all side content as it comes (like in FF12 or how I don't tend to run from any random battles in random combat games and end up being too powerful).
Whats your take on it?

Attached: 683 - Xenoblade Chronicles - 9 - 06-04-2012 - Action RPG.jpg (640x902, 277K)

Not him, but it certainly has them. Doesn't help that the two main characters (Rex/Pyra) are two of the worst though.

It has literally everything you ever want to see in a colourful JRPG.

>People don't like Pyra's design

>great character designs

Attached: 1558926346225.gif (392x392, 2.81M)

I couldn't get past the combat. My characters would just attack on their own and I felt like I wasn't in control 90% of the time except for movement. If you can look past it, then definitely since I've only heard good things about it.

lol i came here to post this

This. I really, REALLY tried to like Xenoblade. I even have it for my new 3DS, but I just cannot get into the combat

Bub I've right about finished FF12. You literally organize auto commands like a programmer for your characters to do combat for you.

Is the solution to the turn based combat in JRPGs problem not just introducing a tactics system like X-com or Divinity into the fold?

That menu based 1990s shit is really boring not gonna lie.

Attached: 314790-divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition-playstation-4-front-cover[1].jpg (800x800, 132K)

In that case I'll just find a long-play without commentary on youtube. I felt like I wasn't playing anything so I might as well go the full length and watch someone else play it.

>is the solution making every encounter last half an hour
No.

The combat system starts off very small and simple but gets more and more complex. The quest system is convenient but there are imo too many quests and a lot of them expire. The story and characters is very good and goes beyond the average JRPG in that regard. The world is also really cool The whole world takes place on a massive titan and you can see parts of the world from other locations as you progress i would say its worth

Megaman X Command Mission

Attached: concered ui.png (616x616, 405K)

Agarest

longer encounters but less of them, makes sense to me.

None of you can top this piece of shit.

Attached: 252px-Mugen_Souls_Boxart.jpg (252x303, 33K)

did you play the awful ps2 version?

Persona 5.
I've player and enjoyed 1, 3 and 4 but 5 just lacks the cohesion and motivation in the plot. And mechanics you get through some confidants just invalidate things like negotiations entirely.
The dungeona were kind of trash too. Sure they weren't random but that just made them extremely linear and lacking in any real substance. They didn't even add any real puzzles to it.

dark souls 2

Cross edge

X-Com is not an RPG and divinity is kiddie garbage for retards.
If you think MORE shitty mechanics are better than a bunch of shitty mechanics you're completely deluded.

Tie between Legend of Dragoon, Etrian Odyssey 3, and Xenogears.

Demikids is pretty enjoyable ironically, kinda like Arc Rise Fantasia

>Game features lots of cute girls
>No male protagonist. Can't date them.
>Panders to the kind of faggots who like animes like K-On
>Yuri baiting on top of it all
The Atelier series is simply a sad waste of potential

Attached: 1561382052773.jpg (1061x1500, 167K)

Then you're left with a game that's just as long if not longer.

Compile Heart is trash

Everyone has an accent you geocentric twat

Go play a compile heart game

If they went past yuri baiting into straight up yuri I might actually play an Atelier game

My main issue with Compile Hearts is that they make trash games with actually intesting concepts. Every single time i'm like "well, this does sound like fun" and every time there's their shit balance, shit interface, shit dialog, and shit everything breaking the game apart.

Full on yuri doesn't actually sell though

>None of you can top this piece of shit.

see

Like I said I love accents but her's just felt really forced. I've worked with extremely thick accented people and I get all tingly inside when they talk, but this was just... ugh. But if you read through the rest of the chain, I'm gonna try it again because apparently I was about to ditch her for the rest of the game.

>genuine beta go full chad

Attached: Laphichad.png (1269x712, 944K)

Well I guess this is a Catch-22 then huh

Attached: Laphichad the sequel.png (858x473, 481K)

>THE ENTIRE GAME IS LIKE THIS I SWEAR
Yeah it is. I mean ok maybe not EVERY SINGLE SECOND but there's something wrong with you if you don't think this game has a lot of ridiculous over-the-top sex pandering. It kicks into high gear the moment Pyra is introduced.

the combat system is pretty meh, it works, but it's basically just waiting and then using your skills when they're ready (at least until they introduce enemies with the spike buff 40 hours in)
I wouldn't reduce EXP because being a bit overleveled is kinda part of the design, so normal trash mobs don't constantly attack you while running around
the biggest factor if you shoud play it or not is if you enjoy exploration
are you willing to spend 5+ hours on every new map, doing sidequests, discovering landmarks and traversing about? that's where the game excels it (and in music)
everything else is just fine

Attached: eb59ecaa41fda1ab036b4c738b08563b6c7f03b3_00[1].jpg (512x287, 43K)

You still play as female characters in their games

Attached: Laphichad the final.png (881x487, 746K)

then why are they the only two scenes that get spammed?

Hell, ONE OF THEM IS OPTIONAL and yet Blunderfag/Eric makes it seem like it's mandatory

If they enter in porn territory, then I would agree with you. Otherwise, fuck yuri
Which is why they don't go for it.
They managed to fool idiots like me, who played their games since the PS2 era waiting for an entry with normal romance, but no longer

Yes. There was another version? How was it different?

Attached: nobangswhyyui.png (351x393, 198K)

>If they enter in porn territory, then I would agree with you.
I dunno why but I can get behind yuri romance. It's just that so few games actually commit to the idea, or if they do the game devs pat themselves on the back for it

>Pleast stop cherrypicking cringey scenes from my fanservice grind game for horny 13 year old boys!
lol

Attached: pyra-mythra.jpg (1113x1200, 474K)

>only one person can dislike this game
Take your meds, schizo.

Luminous Arc

Horseshit from beginning to end

the gamecube version is superior.
60fps
lower encounter rate.
better graphics.

if you're talking strictly gameplay then neither will do.

It's impressive that Luminous Arc 2 managed to be worse

This, the combat was okay but man is it just chocked full of dialogue. I was into at first but it becomes a huge slog when you would rather play than just sit there. If i wanted to play a vn then id play a vn

>I dunno why but I can get behind yuri romance.
Well, I don't. If they are going to waste cute girls in homossexual degeneracy they should do it at least in a way that makes you hard

And you've checked the archives at least ONCE A DAY
who's more pathetic? It's you.

It's not the worst but it is highly overrated. Game is basic as fuck when it comes to everything it does

I disagree, since I can easily look up more different slutty girls

Tales of Vesperia, FFX

Archive has a 'view same' button you absolute tit.

I played this on Android and it was in fact shit.

I don't know how you can post Chrono Trigger when it isn't even the worst game in its own series.

To be fair if he's being genuine and actually hates Chrono Trigger why would he even bother with the sequel?

This piece of shit was the worst JRPG i have played and XV-kun non stop spilling his autism all over the board made me hate it even more.

Good riddance Tabata, enjoy making paraplegic olympics for phones.

Attached: 1491925980150.jpg (3500x5500, 2.27M)

Thirding DQ8. All this time I'd heard great things about Dragon Quest and how 8 was the best one to start with but it was just so fucking boring that I dropped it 6 hours in.

same. 15 would probably be worse if I actually played that shit

I also hated FFXV, and I'm not exactly defending Tabata, but I do have some manner of sympathy for the guy since the whole FFXV thing seemed to be a fucking wreck

Disgusting

Attached: 1348803310598.jpg (431x394, 23K)

Septerra Core. The problem was the game itself, rather than any componants. Buggy as fuck, repeated save corruptions, glitchy pixel perfect clicking, etc. Shame, because past that was a pretty interesting story.

That the game has actual bugs? Stfu bitch.

I've never played JRPGs in my life.

Attached: wnn_mix_121210_wg.jpg (640x360, 32K)

Western trash, not a JRPG.

>tfw you enjoyed demikids
I'm a bad person Yea Forums?

Attached: Top sad.gif (400x225, 2.38M)

Secret of the Stars.

Then out of curiosity why did you click on this topic? Are you a NEET or something and just crave human interaction?

I am Setsuna has to be the most boring piece of shit I've ever played.

I don't even dislike the game I just think it's funny how defensive fans get over anyone commenting on all the blatant sex fantasy content.

It was a mess but there is no reason for sympathy, he had 4 years to work with all the pre-existing concepts and make a decent game, he instead chose to discard most of those concepts, keep only what the bare minimum of what had been shown up to then and change dramatically everything else. There was no reason to redesign so many characters, scrap characters and generally butcher so many concepts. He could just work all of that in one game by not going against his team's advise to not go open world.

No sympathy for a guy who tells his dev team "we're going open world, it's okay to make it empty as long as it's open world. I will take responsibility for it" then proceeds to butcher half the game just because the team couldn't keep up with the schedule due to open world being too much work for them.

Tabata is 100% responsible for the outcome of FFXV and his bad design choices are evident everywhere since the game shares all of Type-0's faults but none of its good points.

I forgot I played this. I would have rathered read a book of the story (which I liked) but the game was over before I realized it.

Also scrapping so many cutscenes and using approximately 0% of Nojima's script and Ferrari's storyboard. All that work wasted.

I've not played many, but definitely FFVIII. The whole game seems like Square was riding such a wave of adrenaline after FFVII's success that they thought their own shit could never stink, so they made a game entirely out of their own shit, just for the hell of it.
>inb4 "hurrr, you're just too stupid to learn the draw system and junction properly!"
The cry of the eternal pleb. There's nothing complex about the draw system at all, it's just tedious as fuck. Literally every stat your character has is just an empty void that it's up to you to fill to your liking through a boring and incongruent mechanic that does absolutely zero to enhance the gameplay. If you don't take the time to learn the draw/junction system, then the game becomes annoying, but if you do, then it's easy as fuck to break it and completely obliterate any sense of challenge. There's zero in-between. While I give Square points for trying something different when they could have easily just shat out FFVII.5 and sold like hotcakes, this is a reminder that different isn't automatically good.

Apart from all of that, the plot itself is cringe as fuck and horribly paced. It just plays out like some introverted high school nerd's wet dream;
>"Dude, like, what if I was a student at a school, but instead of like a regular school, it was a school where you learn how to kill people, and like, my teacher is super-hot and totally wants to have sex with me, but I'm just like, "Whatever", and then I meet this girl who's the hottest girl at school and she ALSO wants to have sex with me, but I'm just like, "Whatever", again, and then like I go on an adventure with a bunch of guys to save the world from some whacked out witch and it turns out we all knew each other from when we were kids, and then I end up in space and almost die but a magic spaceship shows up and then I probably have sex in it and be all like, "Whatever". That would be so fuckin' badass."

Maybe not the worst, but clearly the most overrated

Attached: image_search_1561394053563.jpg (1600x800, 269K)

have sex

>this is the average IQ of JRPG haters
JEJ

That's fair actualy. I never really knew much about FFXV's development, I just knew that Tabata basically was hired to take over after Nomura and had a bunch of Versus 13 stuff dumped in his lap

not a jrpg

trails of cold steel I. it's anime high school the game most of the time.

not him but im here cause the thumbnail was colorful

Attached: 1549733934810.gif (400x400, 95K)

I miss Squall: Whatever posting. I'd never actually played the game but seeing it spammed made me happy.

Attached: whatever.jpg (1920x1080, 488K)

Final Fantasy 13, what a fucking boring game.

The great localization of 90s Square at work here too. What Squall was actually saying was "Betsuni" in Japanese which translates to "nothing in particular" or "not much" or "not really" depending on context.

Whatever is 100% worse because it made him look like a contrarian spoiled teenager who was constantly going "tch... yeah whatever duuude" when he was actually nothing like that.

Suikoden 4 will always remain a hurtful memory

FFXV.
Not sure if "played" is the right word though, considering how uninvolved the "gameplay" of that shit is.

>Gunblade
Christ, it's been so long since I tried to play this shitpile that I forgot about it. Even that reeks of Square saying, "Well, Cloud had a bigass sword, how do we top that?" and then some dude is like "Uhhh... a sword that's like... also a gun?", and then they just went with that because fuck it.

WORLDNEVERLAND: ELNEA KINGDOM

Get recommendations/insults.

>Graces
>worse than Dawn
I'm inclined to agree with him instead of you.

The worst JRPG I've played (And finished) is probably Breath of Fire for SNES. It was just very tedious and poorly translated. I've heard that the GBA version is greatly improved.

Fuck you faggot play Nier: Automata if you haven't played that yet I liked the story and combat I know it's not a JRPG really though so maybe you'll feel different

>recommends him a shit game
Yikes

If you're not a weeaboo, don't even bother. Most JRPGs are only full enjoyed if you like anime tropes and if you haven't played a JRPG yet, I'd be willing to bet you don't like anime.

In my opinion it isn't though. That's why I recommended it. Heck most people seem to agree with me, judging by the glowing reviews

>There's no depth
retard

Segments of the original NieR, but that's about it

Yep, I pretty much missed anime in childhood.

Ah yes, Xenoblade, Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts are my favourite turn-based series!

stop being a lardass

diablo is not a crpg you dumb fuck

I've been going through all of the JRPGs I've played and I can't think of a single one that doesn't focus on being anime. I guess just look into the Tales series (Vesperia/Berseria if you're on PC) and then hopefully someone will call me out on something better.

Probably Xenoblade 1.Combat sucked ass and the story was meh. I think I played until some forest were you find those mascot characters. Probably the rest of the series has more engaging combat but not putting my hopes in that

I'd argue Nier doesn't try and be anime. All the time anyhow.

I don't think I got more than 2 hours into this it was so boring. JRPGs have pacing issues in general but I just hating everything about this.

Attached: 1531771561737.jpg (250x356, 92K)

>I've been going through all of the JRPGs I've played and I can't think of a single one that doesn't focus on being anime.
Maybe you should play more games and also stop being a faggot who calls anything you don't like "anime".

>Star Ocean 4
I played for a few hours before I gave up, the levels were so bland and the characters looked like cheap Korean real dolls

Attached: 1450375504068.gif (320x240, 454K)

But I like anime and JRPGs, especially together. I was just trying to think of a good entry point for someone who doesn't.

Playing JRPGs with an emulator is great, the speed up function always makes them more enjoyable

>Has there ever been a jrpg that played like a cRPG?
if you want an sjw movie, just stick to wrp"g"s.

Final Fantasy V

No, making up stuff like the game "showing scenes from another route". So the one who should shut up is you.

I literally have not played a single JRPG that I've played all the way through and enjoyed. Every one I've tried just turns into a slog. JRPGs are the only major genre of games I haven't found a SINGLE game I enjoy. Persona 5 was the closest, but I only really enjoyed the first story arc with the gym teacher. After that the game became a slog because the combat never really got more advanced and the writing just kept getting worse. Spent fucking 60 hours on that game and didn't even finish it. Thats the other problem with JRPGs, they are so fucking long. They aren't the kind of games you can just pop in every once in a while and enjoy you gotta fully fucking commit or itll take you months to finish a game.

>Thats the other problem with JRPGs, they are so fucking long. They aren't the kind of games you can just pop in every once in a while and enjoy you gotta fully fucking commit or itll take you months to finish a game.
Good. Casuals, stay out.

most of the jrpgs are about 30 hours long

FF2

Atelier sophie. the entire game being a shitty crafting minigame plus the worst and most basic jrpg combat melted my fucking brain. not to mention both jap and english voices were god fucking awful. ended up returning the game 2 hours after buying, can't see why anyone would ever want to play that shit

Attached: file.png (1500x1500, 3.07M)

Atelier is all about crafting. You fail for not doing your research before buying it.

Crafting is the entire point of atelier though

Smt4 without a question. It makes star ocean games look god tier.

Disgaea

Granted I quit at the Vampire Manor level which is like one of the first chapters but I just couldn't deal with the grinding

then why is the crafting minigame so fucking shit? it takes about 4 seconds to learn what to do and never changes, not to mention the way you gather is about as basic as a video game can fucking get
also sometimes i like to go in blind for some games because trailers or reviews dont always do a game justice (or do it too much justice in cases like persona 5 and every pokemon game)

>DQ VIII

Attached: 1561181368964.jpg (576x559, 48K)

>Most JRPGs have far less depth than Pokemon
Jesus fucking christ you actually believe this...

Easily xenoblade chronicles 2.

Followed closely by Dragon Quest VIII and Suikoden IV (3 was pretty bad too)

Don't even make me remember final fantasy XII too.

God, there is some garbage and then there is Persona 4 literally copying JoJo's entire storyline.

Pokemon is literally the only JRPG deep enough to support a competitive scene. Cope.

I paid full price for this.
I never regret a purchase so fast before or since.

Attached: maxresdefault.jfif.jpg (1280x720, 94K)

And you think saw everything the crafting system has to offer in just two hours? How stupid.

I hate short jrpgs. Long or nothing.

Sounds like you have shit taste bro

Attached: unlimited-saga.jpg (640x865, 75K)

Because it lets you battle online you fucking retard. The only other jrpg to do that is digimon cyber sleuth.

This game looked really good. So good it actually made me NOT wanna buy it, because I figured that gameplay was a distant second in the dev's minds. Looks like I was right

suikoden 4 was weak, but 3 was great

This is not only wrong but completely stupid
>RPG
>Competitive

I loved so3 and so4.
So5 however was just so fucking shit I couldn't comprehend how it was even legal to sell.

I was wondering when this would show up, it was far too strange nobody mentioned it so far.

This is terrible bait.

>single player mmo that plays the game for you

Attached: file.png (660x450, 506K)

There are tourneys all the time for pokemon and there has been for literal decades

Yeah, except those tournaments are a joke, as is competitive pokemon as a whole.

They offer cash prizes and people take them pretty seriously.
>It's not a real tournament because I said so
Doesn't seem like a very compelling point of view

>There are tourneys all the time for pokemon
It's not the only franchise that has those, even Culdcept had officially sponsored tourneys, it means fucking nothing.
And the pokemon tournaments in particular are also a fucking joke since they need to punctually ban a shitload of stuff to be an actual thing.

>And you've checked the archives at least ONCE A DAY

don't need to when "view same" exists

Attached: Untitled2.png (1920x1030, 275K)

it still hurts

Attached: 1510718123801.png (477x500, 15K)

>It's not the only franchise that has those, even Culdcept had officially sponsored tourneys, it means fucking nothing.
Pokemon has the longest-running tournament scene out of any game series. Why does that mean nothing? Because you said so?
>And the pokemon tournaments in particular are also a fucking joke since they need to punctually ban a shitload of stuff to be an actual thing.
Card tourneys also have to ban stuff user, that's kinda how tournaments go with stuff like this
Look seriously I get you not liking pokemon but this is retarded of you.

the final boss game me such motion sickness I started vomiting during the credits

>Why does that mean nothing?
Because it says nothing about the mechanical extent of the games, you idiot.
>Card tourneys also have to ban stuff user
I hope you don't take Magic or YGO seriously, but given how you think Pokemon is mechanically deep and your only argument to validate this is
>Muh tourneys
I'm afraid you're an even bigger retard than I've thought.

FFTA
What a disappointment going from my favorite FF game,tactics, to this shit heap

Came here to post this.

Final Fantasy 5, but I've only played like six JRPGs

>Because it says nothing about the mechanical extent of the games, you idiot.
Yes but it also says nothing against the mechanical extent of the games? You idiot?
>I hope you don't take Magic or YGO seriously, but given how you think Pokemon is mechanically deep and your only argument to validate this is
You haven't actually said WHY Pokemon is shallow yet, I just wanna point out.
>I'm afraid you're an even bigger retard than I've thought.
Because I brought up facts yet you can't seem to counter even a single one? Hmm.

to be fair, FFTA did have a shitty mechanic

What drives someone to be like that?

Choose one
>The last Remnant
>Resonance of Fate

Any of the modern ones. They're always going for this downright demented tone that seems like the game aims to please the audience made of 3 year olds, they always have garbage production values with shit graphics, the combat is extremely casualized, there is excessive exposition and handholding and the plots are the epitome of cliche. It's like devs don't even try anymore. I remember when jrpgs used to be part of the highest points of every gen up until the ps2. They were also the benchmark for graphics and tech progress overall with outstanding visuals. Now everything is just some chibi shit or animu trash with a bunch of maidens in frilled dresses running around and that's it.

FF6 has not aged well.
The memory limitations of the snes cart are unable to do the story justice.
The battle system is complete and total crap.
But there's gold buried underneath those issues with the story. Game really needs a proper remake. Octopath style would be nice.

>The memory limitations of the snes cart are unable to do the story justice.
Uh, why do you say that? I played FF6 for the first time about a year ago and loved it, I thought the story was done really wekk
>The battle system is complete and total crap.
And I just totally disagree with this, I really liked the battle system for 6
>But there's gold buried underneath those issues with the story.
Like, what issues?

>But the burden of proof is on you :)
Fuck off, I'm not the one who made outlandish claims to begin with, YOU are the one who has to bring up a single argument in favor of Pokemon's supposed depth or complexity.

I'm gonna fuck your mom you dumb faggot

This, sonyfags over hyped the shitty anime game. It never got fun.

This. Wtf happened to JRPGs bros?

Attached: JRPGs then + now.png (977x1266, 1.4M)

Nintenbronies have this defense mechanism where they imagine that the myriads of people shitting on their games is the same person. It gets easier to cope down with criticism this way. I remember when a few years ago everyone in a thread shitting on nintendo games was called thedude something something.

What's your favorite JRPG?

Probably Quest 64.

The story's pacing is too fast, and emotional moments kinda get shafted. I can only assume this is because the Snes cart can only hold so much text. The poisoning at doma is a huge moment and it feels as if the game just glosses over it. SO much more can be done with the characters, the world and the story honestly.

And the gameplay is objectively shit.

Dark Souls

It's such a shame that SE chose to remake ff7 instead of anything 2-6. It would be nice if 5 could have an actually robust job system, and the character/story depth of a 3d game.

FFIX. The combat is nothing special and the story is lame as hell

I don't have a favorite one, but I love pretty much all the older FFs, parasite eve, chrono trigger and cross, legend of legaia, persona 2, etc.

>enjoys fucking persona of all things
>thinks new jrpgs are "too anime"

Could you at least try to make it seem like you're not a zoomer? I said persona 2, which you've never even heard of because a twitch streamer hasn't shown it to you yet, not 3+ with its turbo overload on animu shit, you absolute retard.

Mechanically, probably Final Fantasy II (the original NES version). But overall, probably Xenoblade 2. At least it's the only one that jumps out to me at the moment. I could at least finish FF II, but XC2 was so bad I couldn't even finish it.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
The characters and the plot. Gameplay was so good though.

this. i got to the start of chapter 3 before dropping it. dunno how people can claim its the best game ever made

Damn, is XB2 the most hated JRPG on Yea Forums?

2 had absolute shit combat and the main character is a literal japanese highschooler

xb2 persona 5 and botw are either god save the queen or a steaming pile of aids depending on who you ask

I've probably played worse but FF9 stands out to me as a game that I kept powering through hoping for fun and found 0. Never finished it, the setting and story were dog shit, the characters bored me to tears, the gameplay was bad even by FF standards. I just couldn't fucking take it.

>Fuck off, I'm not the one who made outlandish claims to begin with, YOU are the one who has to bring up a single argument in favor of Pokemon's supposed depth or complexity.
I just said that Pokemon is the longest-running tourney game ever. And it is.
>I don't need to prove anything
Or even come up with good points, apparently

I'm still trying to figure out how P1-2 are any less "anime" than 3. It's literally the same shit.

>The poisoning at doma is a huge moment and it feels as if the game just glosses over it.
Uh, what? Cyan's entire character revolves around that. There's a section of the game during the WoR that involves it too. Heck, the game spends a while on it. How long were they SUPPOSED to linger on Doma? Man I disagree with you

And it has fuckall to do with your average animu plot unlike 3+. Persona 2 also has two games, but of course you wouldn't know that because it's pretty obvious your zoomer ass has just google "persona 2" and Innocent Sin is the first result that comes up.

Attached: persona.jpg (1872x250, 128K)

I liked it. Reminded me of a lot of the jrpgs I played as a kid, almost feels like a combination between Skies or Arcadia, Lunar and Xenogears in a lot of ways story-wise.

Attached: Shrug.jpg (275x200, 10K)

>t. has never played Grandia III

Oh, forgot to mention that Chrono trigger is the only JRPG I've ever played. Not sure if that matters.

>I like so it isn't anime
every fucking time

I can see that for P5 and BotW, but XB2 seems to only be praised by a vocal minority.

it's also only hated by a vocal minority.

wasn't it one of the best selling switch games? and if its a minority its a pretty fucking vocal one because we get 4-5 threads a day

Golden Sun

Is the ending worth it? Im 30-35 hours in i think. Stopped playing a while back. Got tired of it. Game definatley over stays it welcome. Would have been great if it ended 10 hours ago.

>R E N T F R E E

Attached: 1446052693683.jpg (485x428, 53K)

I haven't played it (or any Star Ocean), but I've watched a few hours of an LP of it and my impression is just "Why did they even make this?" JRPGs are an inherently uninventive genre, but SO4 still stands out as the blandest paint-by-numbers game I've seen in recent memory.

Wow user, how considerate of you to return almost 7 hours later to make this correction!

Really? It still gets multiple daily threads nearly 3 years after release and sold millions. If unique poster count in Xeno threads mean anything, it's only a vocal minority that actively hate it and most of it comes from the same group of people (as noted by their filenames)

Vagrant Story. The weapon affinity shit and constant need to menu hop to get the right weapon is beyond tedious and ruins the game entirely on its own. The game would be salvageable with a MGS1-style equipment menu

Persona's got a general at /vg/.

During the dev time of Xenoblade 2 most of Monolith was working on Botw, leaving less than 40 people to work on Xeno 2. Most of the work for models, animations and enviroments were outsourced, while the team focused on the design aspect. They also had a smaller budget at the time.
The game was still a massive succes, so I hope next time they make a fully blown JRPG it's much more polished.

>listening to random user post on Yea Forums

looking forward to the inevitable sequel to this post where you're shocked to discover that you like this game despite Yea Forums telling you otherwise

legacy of goku 1 is fucking terrible, it's indefensibly bad and i played it on release
legacy of goku 2 is great
buu's fury is good but easy as shit

Thread's over, everyone go home

HI

Attached: shit.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

RADIANT HISTORIA IS FUCKING TRASH
Dragon quest vii is shit
dragon quest 1 and 2 are shit

Persona 5, not bc is the worse really, but bc it was so underwhelming

This piece of shit had no redeeming quality.

Attached: capsule_616x353_japanese.jpg (616x353, 139K)

FF2 was a game that theoretically had potential, but man it was tedious as all fuck

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or FFXV

Monolith is working on BotW2 now, so...

you're not hardcore or special for liking Persona 2

Yikes the Xenoblade 2 defense force never lets even a couple of posts go does it

It had at least one

Attached: 091_0_vita.png (1920x1024, 1.32M)

How's that shit taste treating you?

>Damn, is XB2 the most hated JRPG on Yea Forums?

I think that would be FFXV

yeah, sister Loved Symphonia so much that so she played this game but it was so disapointed that she can't even finist it.

>LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSKV LORD RATATOSK LORD RATATOSK

Xenoblade 2 is the Evangelion of JRPGs, meaning it's an objective masterpiece that you either hate or love. Like Evangelion, all criticisms boil down to "Baby's first in its respective medium" or "Look at this one-off fanservice that doesn't impact the greater picture" as a cope because it's 2deep4them (when ironically, Xenoblade 2 and Evangelion aren't deep, just some of the best in their respective medium).

In 20 years, Pyra and Mythra will be the new Asuka and Rei

Attached: man of culture.jpg (1024x576, 88K)

FFXV is fun. It's also a trainwreck, but it's fun, Unlinke any dragon quest which don't hold up to today standards. Stop being old men yelling at a cloud. Your judgement is too fucking clouded by your nostalgic bias.
Also, it's probably the best looking game ever, having a lot of monster designs coming directly from Amano designs and all and overall nice colors and textures.

t. 29 year old boomer.

Attached: ffxvarachne.jpg (1920x1080, 180K)

Legend of the River King for Gameboy.
I enjoyed the fishing parts of it for the time it was acceptable especially for a gameboy game but the RPG aspects were stupid and terrible.

This is why you have no friends IRL

More like the best that some of their interns can do.

>It's also a trainwreck, but it's fun,
Yeah I guess I kinda ag-
>Unlinke any dragon quest which don't hold up to today standards.
Oh dear, he's retarded

And Xenoblade 2 babbies wonder why everyone hates them. This is almost as cringey as their game.

it's not THAT good

ching chong am i right

Attached: 2017-10-27_king-xi-jinping.jpg (890x668, 93K)

neither was Eva.

>all these people hating on legend of dragoon

Nigga wut that’s my favorite of all time. Might have something to do with being my first JRPG

If anything it would be Nia vs Pyra/Mythra instead of Pyra vs Mythra.

ff13

Probably because out of all these games, Octopath is the only one with focus on gameplay/battle system rather than boring storyshit.

i wanna live in the dimension where Chrono Trigger is the worst JRPG in existence

Kemco shovelware doesn't count, man.

Anyway, Ephemeral Fantasia. You have to wrangle with precise timing in a Groundhog Day loop to recruit anybody or do anything, they tried to put in enemy level scaling only even if grinding alone the enemies will still improve faster than you will, they inserted forced Guitar Hero segments with horrible controls, and the captive passive princess love interest looks like she's wearing a diaper.

Attached: trash.png (256x363, 245K)

SaGa aka the final fanatsy legend

The only games that have fun tb combat are srpgs. The rest just turn out to be rock paper scissors elemental weakness snorefests with skills that go like this:

>Small chance to induce sleep and ice damage to all enemies
>Increase one ally's defense
>Increase all ally's defenses

>Alternate Universe where CT is the bottom-tier JRPG
>People just casually discussing about SMT6, Ultima 14, Chrono Trigger 3 and other titles that built upon CT.

Literally the only decent Tales game. I swear Tales fans have stockholm syndrome for the series or something.

Neptunia games.

Final Fantasy II, I used to play some real cheap stinkers back on my bootlegging PS1 and PS2 days, but I'd just play for like 5 hours or so and drop it, with FF II I had some weird obligation to see it trough that really made the experience extra painful.

Looking it up on the internet isn't beating it, faggot

This

CT certainly isn't the worst I've played, but it is horribly overrated. I played it when it first came out in High School, and it was alright, but nothing special to me. Then a few years ago I tried to play it again and shut it off out of sheer boredom in the future segment.

I don't know if it counts but Sonic Chronicles is simply horrid, I don't know how it got a 74% on Metacritic.

This game was so much fun. Very difficult, very unique.

>Xenoblade 2 is the Evangelion of JRPGs, meaning it's an objective masterpiece

Attached: 1549217177871.png (600x600, 290K)

Bump

>but it's fun

it's a good bromance simulator but that's about all the praise I can give XV.

Everything else was lackluster. Maybe the DLC fixes it, I never bought any.

Attached: XVtrophies.png (853x68, 15K)

Attached: Denuvo.webm (270x194, 88K)

I've played so many it's hard to remember. I like most JRPGs, but offhand I'd say maybe Paladin's Quest on the SNES was the worst. Either that or Final Fantasy XV.

this was the only Tales game i've played. and the last.
i'm just playing it's not a bad game, it's just that i played it on a fresh file on hard mode and it made the game 20x less fun at the beginning. looking forward for arise desu, looks amazing so far

That's insanely wrong for 2. The ways you can build your characters and go into combat are incredibly varied.

You can make everyone a DPSer and just blow everything up if you really want.

>Xenoblade 2 is the Evangelion of JRPGs
Nah, that's either Xenogears or Persona 3.
Xenogears has religious references out the ass, mechs, and production issues that resulted in the final product being changed so that it would actually get finished.
Meanwhile, Persona 3 copies several plot points of Eva, while also having a similar theme to the show, just shown from a different perspective.

Nier automata

>play dragon warrior on the nes
>have fun
>play ffxv
>one of the worst experiences I've had in a video game

Lost Sphear is wasted potential all the way down. I actually felt anger when the villain returns in the post-game with little to no actual reasoning given.

damn Mana Khemia was pretty good but anything after that is godawful. What happen to Gust? they use to make good proper jrpgs like Mana Khemia 1/2 and Ar Tonelico 1/2 but after that it all became kawaii bait.

I played it years ago but IIRC you either sacrifice mcguffin girl to stop the world erasing itself or keep on bringing back the world (presumably the characters die) while the characters wonder if they really did the right thing.
I would drop it if I were you, the idea was pretty neat but the execution is garbage (as expected from a Tokyo RPG Factory game)

>Xenogears has religious references out the ass, mechs, and production issues that resulted in the final product being changed so that it would actually get finished.
Sounds like Xenoblade 2 to me.

Pokemon Red

Dumb newfag

The first and last JRPG that I played was the beginning of Final Fantasy 13
One of the worst video games I ever played

Attached: 1466027204275.gif (538x287, 46K)

Pokemon

Thanks for the input. Ill take your advice.

Not the worst but I get your point, Chrono Trigger isn't a good game.

are you ok user? did moe garbage destroy your brain?

'Kay...

Sands of Destruction. Holy shit I forgot all about that. Painful af game

I consider myself pretty patient and generous, but persona 3 is the only game I've considered dropping without finishing because it was just utterly boring from start to finish.

Hated JRPGs when I was young cause I thought they were boring

Love JRPGs now that I'm older

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED?

I currently hate JRPGs, which ones turned you around?

I'm just playing the older ones cause I never experience them before, but I also played Xenoblade 1 and 2 for new ones, couldn't finish Persona 5 cause I got bored/annoyed by some things, and I've been going through All the DQ games in order for the past 10 months, and I'm now on DQ8

And Ar nosurge and Nights of Azure don't exist according to you?

XV is probably the worst one I've bothered to finish. I also hate what they did to my boy Gilgamesh and can never forgive them for it. Look at this fuck, he doesn't even deserve to share the name of FF's greatest goofball villain.

Attached: file.png (480x480, 237K)

Persona is pretty terrible especially psp one with that jpop battle music

Attached: 51aocghPscL.jpg (500x283, 34K)

The only one I've played, they are indistinguishable anyway.

At one guy put it in a stream "One arm and none of the charm"

Which I think sums up XV Gil very nicely because holy crap that doesn't look like ANY version of Gilgamesh I have seen, and this includes FSN Gil.

You grew up.