/Virtual Reality/ thread

Which headset should one get right now when getting into VR?

Attached: RiftSMockupFeature2-1000x501-o33h1mw6dw4vslmo1eyop7mkr8d01n10670qts2vte.png (1000x501, 208K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/VRChallenger/status/1137405814115672071
youtube.com/watch?v=Brsr5eEAynI
youtu.be/YSmH7rStGbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jc3ej0tc3a8
youtube.com/watch?v=hDhaRX7-y1E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Quest + ALVR or Virtual Desktop for playing steamVR wirelessly. Don’t fall for the index meme. It still has wires and even if it gets a wireless adapter youll need to be in the base stations field of view so you cant switch rooms easily.

Vive
If you like it you can upgrade to index or pimax piece by piece and have best possible headset and controller

If you're really new get quest even after you want to get bigboy system quest is good for watching movies and shit as that is peak comfy

>hey i want to get into gaming
>buy this smartphone because if you get pc meme you can't switch rooms easily and need to stay near power outlets

what the state of quest piracy rn?

Just returned my Samsung Odyssey+

My advice would be don't get into VR now

I like my quest, but pretending that streaming PC games over wifi with ALVR is a good experience is just wrong

Attached: roborecall-quest.webm (800x800, 2.98M)

>buy this smartphone
It's like the switch of VR, comparing it to phone VR is just disingenuous because those don't have 6DoF tracking, controllers or active cooling.

Attached: roborecall-juggle.webm (800x800, 2.93M)

Valve Index

None of them, it's a meme gimmick.

While having (inside-out, ugh) tracking, active cooling and 6DoF controllers (also inside-out) makes it superior to literally shoving a smartphone into a $40 plastic box with zero means of tracking, it's still fundamentally the exact same compute hardware wise as a smartphone, actively cooled helping things or not.
VR, proper VR, requires compute horsepower, which phone tech straight up can't provide given they have thermal, power, and weight considerations to consider. Phones will probably get better certainly, but real GPUs and PCs in general will get better equally so, meaning there will always be a deficit between real VR and VR being hamfisted on mobile hardware.

It's just as fun though
Of course PCVR has better graphics and framerate, but its super convenient.

Attached: bounce.webm (800x800, 2.79M)

its convenient and cheap sure.
But its convenient and cheap the same way plastic utensils are. Overall worth a buy as if you like it you can upgrade and if you don't its still good for watching movies and shit.

Attached: roborecall-arm.webm (800x800, 2.99M)

I'm honestly waiting for an Index price drop so I guess you are right

Attached: roborecall-bigbot.webm (800x800, 2.95M)

Me too but mines coming in september.

It's a gimmick meme fad so unless you want something in your closet, none.

best thing about salty poorfags is the free bumps

Rift S if you want PC based VR, Quest if you want tetherfree VR.

Index if you have a lot of money to blow.

I've only used my Vive and it's good, but there's a lot of stuff that needs to be improved. The resolution makes reading anything really agitating, the wands are bad compared to Touch or the Index controllers. I'd never considered Field of Vision to be a thing, but one you're aware of it the Vive feels like you're wearing scuba goggles. Inside out tracking is nice, but stuff like foot tracking or doing stuff out of the view of the HMD doesn't work. Setting up the lighthouses isn't nearly the hassle anyone thinks it is.

rift s has absolutely dogshit trakcing and is a step down in every way from rift
vive is better cause you can at least upgrade to index piece by piece.

Who ever said "real" VR needs compute power? Maybe the Oculus Quest is what "real" VR is all about? Easy access to million of people.

I considered the Rift S but apparently too many bugs are ruining the experience.

Objectively false. For example the switch to LCD reduces the screen door effect alot and the image appears to be sharper.
Also the external trackers of the Rift are always prone to fail or have bad tracking for whatever reason.

It works great. Get an AC router and stop trying to stream with your shit b/g/n wifi.

Have you tried playing social games liek RecRoom or VRchat with that setup?
Does it use the in-built speakers and microphone or do you need external ones?

Says the fact that even with proper fully speced gaming PCs it's difficult in most VR games to drive even 1440p at 90hz at all times without question in most games. Dumbing it down for the masses is NOT the way to go if you want games that don't look like ass and have any amount of depth to them. If power was completely inconsequential then consoles would have died a long time ago in favor of handhelds.

Depends entirely on what you want to do in VR, how much space you have and what you're willing to spend. I personally see no reason to watch movies in VR unless it's some kind of social thing with a movie in the background but some people seem to enjoy it.

That you even make a console comparison should be enough for you to see that people don't want to dish out thousand of dollars for games. They rather get a 400$ console and be fine with what they get. The same goes for Quest vs PC-tethered VR.

VD streams both audio and mic to the headset. ALVR just audio, not mic yet.

Also both of those are available natively for the quest for free.

I just got one used for 200 bucks and the screen clarity so far seems perfect for driving sims, which will be 90% of my time with it
Any issues with it apart from the questionable headband design?

>that people don't want to dish out thousand of dollars for games
>first wave index preorders, the most expensive vr headset, sold out in seconds, line all the way up to next year
>pc gaming market what with 1000 dollar single components is booming and even skyrim playing normies get expensive pcs
>console plebs pay for internet twice and preorder dlcs and whale up the wazoo
>whales spending 1000's on dollars on mobile just for fucking candy crush

people aren't jobless poorfag incels in 11th grade like you pyon~

You don't seem to understand.
Even if you don't like mobile VR (why? you've obviously never used a quest)... You don't HAVE to use the internal hardware. You can stream your PC to the quest. basically the index is like a quest (same resolution, index has LCD, quest has OLED) but index has wires, no built in hardware, and more than double the price. it's literally a rip off while oculus is losing money selling quest and hoping to make it back on the online store like what sony did with PS2 when it came out.

Does it stream from PC through bluetooth?

I love my quest

Attached: ultrawings-glider.webm (800x800, 2.85M)

We don't even know if Steam is not purposely keeping supply low to create hype for the Index.
We have no number how many people actually pre-ordered Index

Would be impossible since the bandwidth you get with bluetooth is nowhere close enough to get acceptable transfer speeds.

>first wave index preorders, the most expensive vr headset, sold out in seconds, line all the way up to next year

LOL! And how many exactly did they sell?

Oh that's right! Valve isn't saying because they don't want people to know they only made a few since this is just to keep VR in the headlines and they will soon abandon the hardware like they did with steam machines/steam link/steam controller.

Index has no latency, more comfort, more fov, better build quality, expandability, INFINETLY better tracking, 144hz ipd and eye relief adjustment, infinetly better controllers and overall is a way better system.

You're literally claiming your shitbox 300 dollar 318 bmw is same as an M8 GT car because it has same badge and 4 wheels

you're retarded lmao. You may not know it but everyone who reads your posts does.
Yeah thats true but they spent insane amount of money on aquiring tooling and hiring an LITERAL FUCKING FACTORY so if they did not produce those en masse they would literally be burning money.

Meanwhile the Quest is sold out on amazon and walmart, both online and the stores themselves, while Index only sold a very limited number of units on steam.

Attached: hmmmm.png (1151x546, 50K)

Yes, you pay more for more features but you still need a really good PC to even run Index.
For me it's more important to look at the price/performance ratio.

Now image the M8 GT having a 10 foot chain to your house. I'll take the 318 BMW I can drive anywhere.

Carmack and Abrash have chosen. The future of VR is wireless and it's here.

>theres a lot more chrysler PT cruisers out there than rolls royce phantoms that proves once and for all that RR phantom is an absolute shit car lmao

unlike you I am not a poorfag living with 20 mexican families in a bunkhouse.
I have an office with dedicated VR space and I do not need to move my vr headset or my pc around.
Sure wireless would be nice but if it is shit like quest fuck that.
Not really it runs on 970. Just as rift and vive did. You won't get best fps or visual fidelity but you don't need a beastly system. And 1070ti costs nothing right now. Stop pretending money is an issue.

Don't use shitty american cars for anecdotes thanks

Attached: pavlov-quest.webm (800x800, 2.75M)

Valve drones are the worst.

Oh well.
Enjoy buying valve's left over stock of 2.0 lighthouses that they can't get other companies to buy now that even their main partner, HTC is also going inside out tracking.

>awp+holo meta cancer

I can hardly imagine that you can run higher resolution and higher framerate at the same performance level as Rift/Vive

pavlovs a shit game with shit gunplay and feels and its amazing how bad it looks on quest but I think quest babies dont really have any standards.

>valve makes best vr headset
>sour grapes ensures
COPE

Attached: 1331275690223.jpg (446x400, 57K)

Propably can as the frame interlace or whatever thing is said to be shockingly effective.
I played contractors with 150% upscale and medium settings on 970 and vive without issues and slowdowns but then again I don't notice lower framerates and I do not get vr sick ever.

It's not the best, though. It's literally a Vive Pro for slightly cheaper, with controllers that actually have buttons because Valve sabotaged HTC by insisting that users didn't need them in the first place.

>pavlovs a shit game with shit gunplay and feels
Oh thats alright, echo arena and Onward are coming too :)
twitter.com/VRChallenger/status/1137405814115672071

Attached: pavlov-akm.webm (800x800, 2.92M)

You know both of those games are hot garbage, right? There isn't a single halfway decent VR MP shooter, hell, there's only ONE half-decent SP one.

>has a wire
>best anything

LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT IT AND LAUGH!

BTW it's not even the best wired anything since the pimax 5k and vive pro EYE with eye tracking are a thing.

The vive pro eye is $1,600 though. BU-BU-BU you're not a poorfag are you? better get on buying it, faggot.

>quest shills are trying to claim that streaming is a good experience over wifi for VR games
kek, streaming feels like garbage even for flat games
And VR is way more latency sensitive and needs to send a lot more data

I hope nobody falls for this meme but I guess if they do they can enjoy Quest's silky smooth native 72fps with nausea-enducing lag and compression artifacts

H3VR babies are the worst

Attached: journeyofthegods-lighting.webm (800x800, 2.96M)

I've got a Vive and it's great.
I plan on buying a pair of those Index controllers once they're more widely available, because that finger tracking can only make the whole VR experience better.

I have a Rift S and if the resolution, fov, screen-door effect, god rays, sweetspot blah blah blah in the S is better than it's predecessors and the Vive I don't think I would ever want to go backwards. It's also buggy, but """""thankfully""""" I only have the white static flash one.

You're basically fucked. Order an Index today, proceed to sell a bunch of stuff around the house to deal with the price, and then maybe if you're lucky you'll have it on Christmas Day.

quest user detected.
>muh smartphone with worst tracking is best vr cause it doesn't have a wire

Maybe if you study harder your parents might buy you a real vr headset other than entry level trash.

Image going on the internet to write shit about hardware you have NEVER used. Get a job and move out your parent's house you fucking failure.

Same but I upgraded to headset as well since I'm devving a mech sim and wanna try things out

What's the worst is that nobody else has made anything even vaguely close to it.

I fucking hate H3. Sosigs are boring, the gun variety is 80 different tacticool rifles I don't give a fuck about, and the simulation is incredibly basic. You can see everything freak out whenever you try and turn because the game is held together with gum and tape.

I wish it didn't suck. I wish we had even one other option that was half as good, even if it was a game with a decent simulation of just a couple of guns, it'd be miles better.

This faggot is the type of person that bought a juicero juicer that had JUICE DRM just because it was more expensive and more expensive = better.

LMAOING at your life, faggot.

Attached: download.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 81K)

you faggots are both fucking idiots

I was never interested in VR till I saw the tech from the index. Too bad it's $1000 and sold out for the whole year

you can't reliably use it otherwise because the Quest version of Pavlov is still an early alpha and the sniper scopes are literally useless, you can't even look through them

H3 is great but while anton manages to somehow cobble together a gun sim he is ABSOLUTE FUCKING SHIT AT MAKING GAMEMODES AND MAPS

HOLY SHIT STOP SUCKING ANTONS DICK EVERY TIME HE MAKES AN OVERLY DARK CHRISTMAS DOME WITH REPETETIVE STAND AND FIGHT WAVES OF SOSIGS SHITTY FUCKING GAMEPLAY

ANTON HIRE A FUCKING GAMEPLAY DESIGNER YOU CANT DESIGN ANYTHING WORTH SHIT, YOURE THE REASON H3VR GAMEMODES SUCK AND YOU HAVE TO REWORK THEM EVERY 5 MINUTES

meat forteress is going to fucking suck its going to be literally the proto arena with a reskin.

>quest is so great
>except all the games are gimped and shit
lmao

I don't even think I'll boot meat fortress up, not unless he at least just throws in a target practice mode with the map.

H3 is just the most poorly fucking designed shit ever.

If I want to run around with a 22 rimfire and plink sosigs as if they're balloons, why is this not an option? Why do I have to carry around 45s to even make a dent? Calibre wars are not fucking interesting

>why doesn't .22lr have same ballistic properties as a .50cal in a firearm simulator game

Thats nice, good thing Oculus is specifically diverting their game funding from PC to quest :^)

youtube.com/watch?v=Brsr5eEAynI
youtu.be/YSmH7rStGbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jc3ej0tc3a8
youtube.com/watch?v=hDhaRX7-y1E

Attached: quest.jpg (1604x3526, 1.57M)

It's a shame he ditched the idea of a level editor but I can only image how much of a mess it would have been.

I'm not asking for the same properties, I'm asking for modes where I'm not restricted to boring guns. You can't even 2-hand pistols to reduce the ridiculous recoil, is Anton a limp wristed homosexual or something?

You can 2 hand pistols you just move one hand closer to other to cup the gun.

But yeah I agree gunplay isn't perfect it definetly needs the recoil reworked because the way recoil functions is completely retarded.
The gun customization is really poorly done and the base system for mp5 is there but for shit like ak or ar15 it is not used
but overall its fine main issue is shit gamemodes and shit maps because anton can't design anyhting to do with his guns worth shit.

t. quest shill

No I'm sure that despite streaming lag already being irritating for flat games it's fine in VR lol

The bizarre thing is that if streaming was so good there would not even be a reason to make the Rift S. I wonder why Oculus makes it then. It is a mystery.

You are not useing a 10000 dollar wifi streaming router and hardware and correct internet service

But no dont buy any other headset because iquest is cheapest and has all you need including shit headset shit closed platform shit controllers and shit tracking

I was going to get a Rift S but the bugs and non-ideal tracking are putting me off. Index is too expensive for me too.

HTC need to just get on with it and release all of the details for Vive Cosmos so I can know whether it's even going to be an option worth thinking about.

Streaming lag doesnt work the same way in VR due to to timewarp and spacewarp.

Oculus doesnt make the rift S. Lenovo does. Oculus focused everything on the quest and were thinking about making it stream from the PC but decided against it because retarded end users like yourself thinking good routers are 1000 dollars would be too stupid for oculus help desk to waste resources on. Look this up in carmack’s twitter. He talks about oculus debating internally about making quest stream pc games.

best value for money
>Oculus rift CV1 + touch
>HTC vive + DAS

best performance
>Valve Index
>Vive 2.0

I want to have a bad time trying to pretend I can budget my way into VR
>rift-s
>oculus quest
>wmr