Nwn2 thread

I'm going to give this another runtrhough, including MotB and maybe Storm of Zehir after. What class should I pick for a fun playthrough in which my character isn't too underpowered? I did a full bard runthrough a while ago, which was a lot of fun. He could even hold his own in combat thanks to layers of protective illusion spells.
So far I'm leaning towards one of these:
>Wood elf druid for divine magic and wild shape
>Human wizard for late game epic fun
>Aasimar paladin or cleric, not sure about the level handicap though
I've never gotten the hang of multiclassing and planning a character out in advance, is it hard?
Favourite class combinations, companions, stories about your playthroughs?

Attached: nwn2.jpg (323x433, 16K)

Any full caster will be ridiculous by MOTB since it's an Epic campaign, the go-to rule for indecision is to always look at what companions there are and choose based on who you want to use

For MOTB you're given an epic cleric and epic wizard and a custom martial tank/magic damage blender with base 32 strength

The early game is always the most difficult in these sorts of games so picking something with an animal companion always makes things easier, having access to Persuasion as a class skill opens up a lot of extra dialogue and opportunities

My last playthrough was a fighter prestiged into Neverwinter Nine, the capstone ability gives guaranteed max damage for three rounds which is a pretty noob friendly panic button. It's one of the more "Canon" options and is very easy so you can focus on micromanaging casters

Neeshka and Kaleyn best girls of their modules

Is the entire game still "make a druid, buff yourself and your summon with hour long spells, shapechange into a bear, get the knockdown feat and proceed to kill everything"

The fact 13 years have passed doesn't change that it's still 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons, CoDzilla will always be a thing as long as that's the case. Doesn't mean you can't have fun

I meant in comparison to how bad it was in NWN1 - I literally just used cheat engine to set the game speed to 5X and waltzed through between Daelan/Druid/Bear companion/animal summon on the hardest difficulty

Oh, then yes encounter design is done a lot better than NWN1 and it's expansions. You have full control over your entire party from the start instead of the awful henchmen system. Mask of the Betrayer adds an additional layer of time management as you have to deal with the spirit eater curse, obviously people used to breaking open 3.X D&D won't be troubled but there are still difficulty spikes and situations where you need to use your brain especially if you fight optional difficult enemies

I ended up making a druid and I'm going to try that. It sounds fun. I wonder if the dinosaur companion is worth it and if I can turn into a dragon late game.

Attached: nwn2main 2019-06-24 14-47-40-44.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

Why in the ever living fuck would someone play this awful mess of a game? The classes are not balanced, the story is terrible, none of the armor and weapons look good, the crafting system is bad, the enemies are about as generic as you could imagine in a dnd video game for the love of god! Why would you play this when the first game exists? Everything about the first game is better, from story to the janky world builder Aurora. Even the short modules that Diamond comes with was better than the story in the second game, I will never understand anyone enjoying NWN2 for it is trash in both game play and story.

Attached: 220px-Neverwinter_Nights_cover.jpg (220x304, 20K)

Should I buy this on GOG before Beamdog does another shitty enhanced edition and remove this from stores?

No idea how it'll do in NWN2 but in NWN1 it was basically you stack wisdom, some intelligence and charisma.
Then just go with the hour long spellslike bull's strength, barkskin, stoneskin and you're more or less not dying since you can just get healing kits and potions.

You just rest for healing spells since you can rest everywhere almost.
Later on as you get better gear, you can go in as a bear tank and have your animal companion be a panther for sneak attacks.
Add in Daelan or Grimgaw to completely just play passively while they kill everything when buffed

Are there any worthwhile mods for the game?

No need. NWN2 is already shity. I legitimately can't recomend it.

There's definitely some essential cosmetic mods like Xaltar's face pack.
I remember playing 4 druids in Storm of Zehir with 4 dinosaur companions. Since most of that game is low and mid level, they slaughtered most encounters. What's a balanced party with only 4 slots though?

MotB was ok
but base game was kinda shit I agree

I liked it, and still do.
>The classes are not balanced
Please explain, I managed to finish it with a bard, generally considered a weak class. It also depends on party composition.
>terrible story
What game has a good story in your eyes? I like the way your party fumbles around for half the game only to get slightly more professional and elite by the end. MotB is a good story with epic elements.
>your other points
You sound butthurt user, but is NWN1 that good? Never tried it due to the dated graphics.

NWN1 base campaign is very formulaic and not that interesting up until it suddenly becomes batshit weird

The standalone expansions Shadows over Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are very very good, the latter is a direct character import sequel to the former. Better gameplay, better story, better companions, better everything since the base campaign was basically a feature demo of the Aurora engine while they could take their time with the modules

There's a bunch of stand alone modules as well like the domino mask one I forget the name of, Kingmaker, that knight one but I can't speak to their quality

NWN1 graphics have in some ways actually aged better than 2, it has character and cloth physics and the simplified models let them make more stuff easier

lol

Ah good, I'm still trying to digest the main campaign and I need some opinions,
How does this build sound:
>Wizard 10
>Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep 10
>Shadow Thief of Anm 5
>Shadowdancer 5
I want to be a wizard that can donut people in stealth with Tenser's transformation or just my bare hands, planning on taking stuff like Weapon Finesse and most feats for unarmed attacks, coupled with Practicioned Spellcaster.
How does it look for solo play once I'm done with the OC?
More or less, yeah, it's the usual "buff before a fight then autobattle anything" of all RTwP games.

Wand of MetaPrepa.

Saves probably a couple hours of busy work over the course of the game. Best QoL mod ever made.

There's plenty of gish builds out there but if you want to beat people up with your fists going at least a few levels in monk is highly recommended, you'll have companions to buff you whenever you want so rather than the wizard half you could also simply just go further into being a martial

Monk 20 Shadowdancer 10 (or 25 5) would be very straightforward and get you through the game

I would love to play this game with the xpacs and everything. I tried twice, once at release when I was like 15. I enjoyed the little prologue then got lost into the complexity of the system and eventually gave up (I was a zoomer before zoomers were a thing I guess).

Fast forward in 2010, after getting into tabletop roleplay I decide ti give it another try. Only I was used to 4e and 3.5 or whatever this game uses made zero sense to me. I still tried something, went with a sorcerer because I wanted to be a caster but fuck memorizing and studying shit. It went fine, got onto the world map and then in some cemetary and I got absolutely buttfucked by some skellies. When I say buttfucked I mean not like it was hard to fight them, but literally after 15 attempts I couldn't kill them and felt like I had done everything wrong somehow.

Now i'm 27 and it's been over 10 years since I tried this game for the first time and still feel salty about this, so I want to go again but at the same time just the thought of doing the retarded festival and the fear that I'm myself still retarded and will make some garbage character who can't kill a skeleton, continues to haunt me.

>Never tried it due to the dated graphics.
The graphics were primitive by design, and looked dated even at the time. The intention was that people would mod their own models into the game as suited their personal campaigns, so the simplistic aesthetic would help the work of amateurs blend in better.

>if you want to beat people up with your fists going at least a few levels in monk is highly recommended
But then I wouldn't be able to tip my fedora, don't want no gods worship, I'm a wizard.
Bear in mind I do not intend to donut everything on human form, most of my damage will come from Stealth+Tenser and the fact that I'm virtually untouchable with Shadowdancer levels.
I'm actually tempted to forego those five Shadow Thief levels, but the extra feats sound too good to pass up and I wouldn't be able to access sneak attacks without it given how Shadowdancer has none, which means I'd need to swap 10 levels of Arcane Scholar with 3 Rogue and 7 Arcane Trickster, which is a kind of a worthless prestige class for my problem given how Arcane Scholar's metamagic can give me better spells.
The game really isn't complex in the least, just don't ever expect your caster, especially a Sorc, to be able to frontline before Lvl15, especially a pure caster AND a Sorc, this is D&D.
If you want a pure caster that can kind of go toe to toe with things, consider Warlock+Palemaster.

How do you know what all those classes do, the feats, spells, etc.? Is there a manual somewhere on how to multiclass? I'd like to build an intricate optimized character like yours but I don't know where to start.

I had that useless nigger fighter childhood friend with me but he also got destroyed by the skeletons, from what I rememberI was just dealing no damage. I don't know maybe it was a place I wasn't meant to go right away or something. Fuck it, i'll give it another try reinstalling.

This. I just started MotB and have no intention of digging into the classes as deep as I did with BG2. Not for a 20-hour story. So I picked Sorcerer.

>Is there a manual somewhere on how to multiclass?
The game does come with a manual, besides, when you level up or look at your CC menu, all classes have a lengthy in game description with their own stats and features, just look at those and do a bit of math, the only thing you can't see is your spell library depending on the type of caster you are, considering this is a modified and rather shitty version of 3.5, I can already tell you 90% of the spells in the game are trash, so without metaknowledge you'll end up restarting the game quite a few times, especially if you're a Sorcerer, who doesn't have the luxury of accessing a wider Arcane spell list, although you can trade spells.

As for what feats do, just browse the Feat list.
AND DON'T FUCKING FORGET, when creating a character, especially a spellcaster, DO NOT choose the various packs you see ALWAYS CHOOSE CUSTOMIZE.

I don't understand why the base campaigns for nwn and nwn2 get shat on so much, I enjoyed them both. In fact, I'd say I enjoyed the main campaigns of nwn2 more than motb. Hotd is top though.

>I enjoyed the main campaigns of nwn2 more than motb
I haven't played MoTB yet but the OC of NWN2 is making me want to kill myself.
Doesn't help that I restarted it three times now.

Attached: 1555883887579.jpg (387x368, 20K)

My advice is to look up a build guides. Don't actually follow them, but by reading them you'll get an idea of what to build towards, what works well, etc.

You dislike what, the story/characters, or the encounter design?

All of those.

The companions in the OC are top tier. They're somewhat cliché, but still fun. Khelgar, Neeshka, Sand, Ammon Jerro and even Grobnar.

I really liked the archetypal approach to characters and narrative in the original campaign, though a lot of the more awesome ones show up after the first parts.

>The companions in the OC are top tier.
Who exactly is supposed to be top tier?
Outside of Neeshka, Khelgar, Shandra and maybe Sands, they barely even exist, moreover the game shoves them down your throat like making you stick with Shandra for an entire chapter only to kill her off at the end without letting you have any say in the matter, the story is completely retarded, the writing is worse and the encounter design is some of the worst I've seen in an RPG, which cements the braindead "buff then autobattle" gameplay of RTwP further.
The game doesn't even feel like an RPG, nothing you do fucking matters unless something happens at the end of Chapter 3 and I don't know about it, but letting you slog through 30 hours with nothing just to have some token choices at the end (if there will be any), is absolute garbage design.
I don't know about that, wouldn't call anyone awesome outside of maybe Ammon.