Bad Game Design

Honestly, how was the player supposed to know how to get out of this room without reading the manual? I understand they intended for this to be a lesson but there’s nothing in the game that indicates that you should hold down a button to sprint.

Attached: 60A16E36-BD74-4F93-8F86-0F7C7D0BE06C.png (256x224, 14K)

How were you supposed to know to jump? There’s nothing in the game that indicates that you should hold down a button to jump.

Attached: World_1-1_(Super_Mario_Bros.)_Start.png (256x240, 1K)

Nigga just read the fucking manual

>without reading the manual
We read those things cover to cover several times, zoomy

This is different because you have very limited options. Needing to hold the button down in SM is more abstract

Just don't be a fucking idiot. Literally the requirement

It honestly blew my mind to discover that this room was ever a thing

I guess people really are that unadventurous and stupid

Attached: 1251346383812.png (764x500, 867K)

I know it's hard for children to understand but once upon a time games actually included manuals with them that actually had a bunch of pages in them that went in depth on how the game controlled and worked and had stuff like fun artwork and stuff and even comics sometimes

Do you not test out the controls whenever you start a new game?

I miss this. The manuals were worth it just for the artwork alone

You wanna talk about shit game design, talk about the FIRST Metroid. Like holy hell, I couldn't count on two hands how many instances there are in that game of "bomb specific tile of seemingly mundane and innocuous room with no indicator"

It also has no map for such a large game and the save system is tedious, but I'm willing to give those a pass on the side of technical limitations.

Obvious bait, but looking at / changing the controls is an option every time you load up a file in SM. No manual needed.

The first Metroid is fine if you can rub two brain cells together to recognize simple patterns.

It really isn’t. Also what said.

>tfw we'll never be able to read the prologue and character bios on the drive home again

Shut the fuck up boomer

Right, patterns like identical repeating tiles that bear no significance until 1 out of 100 do, you fuck.

Yea, we old now

>Open modern game case
>A single slip of paper with a DLC code inside
Honestly, fuck this shit.

Metroid has a tiny map. It's easily the smallest in the series.
It just feels a lot bigger because it's easy to get lost. It's easy to get lost because half of the game is copy pasted.

>there’s nothing in the game that indicates that you should hold down a button to sprint
Literally within the file select menu

Attached: Super Metroid 000.png (256x224, 9K)

t. brainlet who can't read simple environmental cues.

Attached: Bullshit.gif (500x278, 989K)

It's Monday, shouldn't you be getting ready for school? Shame you can't take a big ole fat game manual to read in home room

Attached: m3_19.jpg (768x549, 88K)

Sure, look at your bathroom tiling then and get back to me when you figure out which identical square is special.

Is this the new fad: Games Journos Posting?

Why can't Metroid crawl?

unfinished game design

I really want to know who thought up SM's default control scheme. It's one of the few black marks on a nearly perfect game.

Man I was joking at first but now I actually want you to shut the fuck up boomer you're embarrassing yourself.

Here's a hint fuckwit: If it looks like a dead end, it probably isn't.

Hah, foolish OP, daring to be honest about his experience of the game. You're supposed to pretend that you understood it immediately.

>gets mad he was outed as retarded and held back in school

That's a valid question. She can roll up into a tiny ball but can't crawl? It's bad game design.

I hate the fact that despite the features removed for physical copies, they are still more expensive than they were a decade ago and the digital versions are about the same price anyway.

>Oh fuck he's on to me, he knows i'm a pathetic fucking boomer who actually thinks reading video game manuals is a cool thing and is the only thing that brings any joy to my life since my life has become sad, lonely, and pathetic ever since I turned 30
>GO BACK TO SCHOOL KIDDO HAHAH WREKT.

On summer break?

Based boomer.

>I hate the fact that despite the features removed for physical copies, they are still more expensive than they were a decade ago and the digital versions are about the same price anyway.

That's everything these days. It's all cheaper to make but the same price or more expensive to buy.

The DLC shit really pisses me off though. Finish your fucking game and sell it at a normal price. What really urks me is that people buy into that shit. Like $25 for an additional 5 stages and 5 fighters in SSBU? The game itself was $60, and it has 15 times the content that they are charging half the price for. Stop fucking giving them money.

Bloodstained had me fucked up couple of times, especially when you have to strike the red moon with zangetsuto

Not sure if it was talked about in the bookshelves but I would have never guessed I had to do something like that

Another one was the Aegis Plate for spikes but I guess I would've found it sooner or later

Attached: afdsfdas.webm (1280x720, 2.9M)

>Why does this game expect me to figure things out instead of giving me instant gratification and achievement bonuses?
Go back to playing Cuckhead.

>Like $25 for an additional 5 stages and 5 fighters in SSBU
Fighting game fags are the worst. They'll happily pay the price of a new game and encourage the shitty practice of DLC just for their potential new tier lists.

they still have that? I thought the new fad was year round school with two week breaks spread out through the year

Super Metroid is a poorly designed piece of shot, but not because of that.

It’s poorly designed because it’s way too fucking easy, there are too many energy tanks and they’re easy to obtain, the player has to purposely avoid obtaining them to make the game playable.

Should've prefaced with >"bad"

Fuck based. This make me Kek so fucking hard

>467778681
Is this a bot?

If you are a noob, Ridley will wreck your shit even if you have every upgrade.

>Even comics sometimes
God I fucking miss this. I went to see my metal gear solid 2 manual and it has everything you said including character bios etc. Opening a game case to have just a warranty paper almost makes me want to cry

why the fuck is the run animation not synced right with her speed still
fucking cheap looking shit

fucking phone poster

God back to red dead redemption 2

What? They stopped doing that too?! WHAT is going on?!!

Companies are ran by a bunch of lazy fucks now. I don't know if Nintendo still does it though

Open a Bethesda game, at best you might get a slip of paper that shows the controls but that's it

the controls are in the options menu, the first thing you should go to when playing a new game

>options
>controls
>see button to run

I don't see the problem, user

To be fair, how many actually go there?

False equivalence. Mario gives immediate feedback upon pressing the jump button.

the first thing in everything in life is reading manual or instructions, fucking millenials

Anyone who realized the default controls are shit

And how many is that? Just saying.

shiet I didn't know rdr2 was the only video game to exist where the run animation is timed correctly.

Attached: 1534318482720.gif (250x249, 788K)

I suppose by default if people born after 2006ish played it, they'd assume you can't change controls so that's a fair point

If you weren't aware games used to be about freedom of options and came with actual instruction manuals with backstory yeah, you wouldn't know to read a manual

As a kid a lot of games I got were secondhand copies so I usually didn't have a manual to read and was really confused on how to play certain games

manuals only existed because game carts had very limited capacity and fitting a manual within the game would be just dumb whem you can just print out a physical manual and include that in game box. manuals became redundant when cds became a thing and obsolete in dvd era.

>MFW I tried to play startropics as a kid but got to the submarine part that required the code from inside the manual but didn't know wtf happened to the manual.

Attached: 1507297870640.jpg (506x960, 26K)

How was the save system tedious? You just clicked save, then loaded your file.
Don't tell me you played the cucked western version of the game lmaooo