*kills the MMORPG genre*

*kills the MMORPG genre*

Attached: holytrinity.jpg (758x855, 105K)

I play tank dps who heals

Attached: image.gif (640x360, 1.34M)

kys

man one piece looks so fun but every time i try to watch it my autism forces me to rewatch the entire thing, every time i get to the enel arc i just get fucking bored and stop

MMO died because they were shit games to begin with

*kills the MMORPG genre*

Attached: dungeons.jpg (300x248, 12K)

Real chads play Rogues

>He doesn't solo everything
>as DPS
lmao

"dungeons"? What is that supposed to be

>tank DPS who heals
Wrath-era Blood DK?

People aim for efficiency. If you changed the "holy trinity", people would just form a different kind of most efficient setup.
It's either that, or get rid of classes entirely and allow every character to excel at everything.

*kills the FPS genre*

Attached: 1545817783501.jpg (880x1000, 180K)

Looks like Dead Mines

Enel arc can be a bit of a slog if you aren't big into the adventure aspect of the series. But you should try going past it next time you get the urge to get into one piece, without starting over.
You can always skip to an arc that looks more interesting and then go back to Skypiea. It really is fun, user. Give it another chance

Read the manga instead. The anime turns into an unwatchable abomination at some point.

Wrong. This is the only correct response:
mmos were glorified chat rooms. Facebook and other social media superseded them. Most people don't care for games that require effort, time and money investment, they just want the socialization.

If you make a PvE game with unavoidable damage then it doesn't matter how hard you try to pull away from the trinity, players will naturally try to align themselves in those roles because they are the absolute foundation of combat, which is manipulation of HP pools.

DPS makes the enemy HP go down, which is the most fundamental part of all videogame combat. Healers restore the lost HP of allies. Tanks mitigate the amount of HP being lost.

The only way you can avoid the trinity is by making it so incoming damage is largely avoidable and it's every player's individual responsibility to stay alive, effectively turning everyone into a DPS.
>hurr just add buffer/debuffer/kiter/whatever roles
You still haven't gotten rid of the trinity, you've just added on extra parts and now you specifically have to design all your enemies so those parts are necessary otherwise you've accomplished nothing.

>not playing the chad buffs/boons class

>people would just form a different kind of most efficient setup
tryhards would, but it wouldn't be required to complete content so most would not care

>get rid of classes entirely and allow every character to excel at everything
as long as each class accomplishes things in a different way there is no reason to abolish them. if anything, trinity is the system that should abolish all but 3 classes since there is no design purpose to having more.

>support
>chad
Support roles were made for anxious trannies too afraid to actually get good and meaningfully contribute to a game.
Supports are the equivalent of being a cheer leader while everyone else is digging ditches and getting shit done.

Fuck Crusaders

I play dps when i'm on my own but support when my friends are online

WARchad

Also wrong, even if there's some truth to it (mmos and social medias can coexist, MMOs took off during the facebook era).
MMOs are shit because WoW went to shit and everything tried to copy it for a while but failed because the nu-wow model is shit, and its copycats had no blizzard money or brand recognition to rely on.

>tryhards would, but it wouldn't be required to complete content so most would not care
Then that's the most efficient setup. If content in an MMO is so easy that one person can do it, then doing it alone is most efficient. Calling people names doesn't really change my point.

>as long as each class accomplishes things in a different way there is no reason to abolish them. if anything, trinity is the system that should abolish all but 3 classes since there is no design purpose to having more.
Same as above. Even if you have 100 classes, some setups will be more efficient than others. MMOs are often massive timesinks. People chose to be efficient not because they're "tryhards", but because it makes the most sense.
If you read my post again you might realize that I wasn't strictly speaking about the Tank/Healer/Damage setup, but any setup that will always quickly become the most used one due to efficiency, and that the only way to prevent that is to get rid of classes entirely.

Why did this have to happen, man?

I think that's just the problem with the entire genre, not trinity.
No matter how your group dynamics are set up, there will always be a "best" option, no matter what. And when this happens, there will always be a large component of MMO mentality that encourages this, because MMOs have developed to be games with lots of repetition; you log in to do the same dailies every day so you want to get these literal chores done asap.

Hell, look at GW2 (modern GW2, if you've only played pre-HoT then disregard this point) the game started off without a trinity system and meta groups wound up being comprised of 5 of the highest damage dealing classes and maybe one support class. Then they added a sort of freeform trinity system and started designing their classes around it, and now it has one of the healthiest metagames in the genre because a trinity is there, it's just not a hard requirement. Roles are usually based off of mechanical and player skill qualities rather than you picking a class and just playing it the only way you can.

>I think that's just the problem with the entire genre, not trinity.
>No matter how your group dynamics are set up, there will always be a "best" option, no matter what. And when this happens, there will always be a large component of MMO mentality that encourages this, because MMOs have developed to be games with lots of repetition; you log in to do the same dailies every day so you want to get these literal chores done asap.
That's literally what I said.

really do just add mesmers though

no

What if there are multiple set ups?

after going back to games with rooms/servers its honestly so much better and everyone is having a good time, fuck modern matchmaking.

Warsissy

The bigger problem, which trinity is only a symptom of, is that despite mmos being endless games with no win condition, people still want to win. Then developers gear the game towards content that has a definite end and win state and your game isn't an mmo any more.

That's not how it works. You don't control the way people play. The efficient setups emerge from the playing community, not from developer instructions.
You COULD indeed direct this, but then you'd have to restrict the entire game in a manner that only allows the gameplay that you deem correct. A game like that will fail horribly.

Now that the genie's out of the bottle, we can't put it back in. Matchmaking gives companies absolute control over their game and they'll never let game communities have this level of autonomy again.