Why did MMO's die?

Why did MMO's die?

Attached: misc 2162.png (209x210, 23K)

World of Warcraft

Attached: 1550439887155.jpg (600x444, 82K)

WoW

They became popular.

Everybody tried to copy the worst aspects of WoW

World of casualcraft

Novelty wore off
People stopped having friends to play with

People realized that being social in video games is actually shit. People are naturally reclusive.

All new MMOs after WoW copied everything bad about WoW, which was already simplified and streamlined compared to MMOs before it.

>People are naturally reclusive.
Stop projecting.

It was never good

Because they evolved away from being MMOs and towards being matchmade team coop games with a bunch of big empty copies of a worthless world as a lobby

The WoW episode on South Park

Fuck off everyone loves me.

P2W shit got out of control especially with korea flooding the market
That's what killed MMOs

Attached: 1561179264769.png (427x559, 307K)

>log in
>feel like playing for an hour or so
>dailies take an hour
>log out

Because spending months working on a character in mmo requires too much autism for normalfags, instead they want 30-60 minutes online sessions and publishers and developers always appeal to normalfags

Because the world took an extreme turn for the worse and people are no longer capable of socializing in such a way anymore.

When ease of accessibility is a prominent feature in MMORPG's. It kind of misses the entire point of the genre being a type of second fantasy world people live in.

all the middle school/high school kids grew up to be college shitters demanding constant "QoL" (read: streamlining) changes which killed the spirit of the game.
Oh and min/maxing

The "massively multiplayer" part was streamlined and made everything about it no different than single player.

microtransactions

>Novelty wore off
It wore off because every MMO became WoW but with a new coat of paint

when people decided the game only starts when you have the best gear.

Because "being online" is no longer a selling point and people expect an actual good game.
MMORPGs were very average games trying to appeal to multiple crowds at once but the online multiplayer aspect made them unique. That's not true anymore and people just play games more fitting to their niche playstyles.

Same shit again and again with barely any sort of innovating on the formula.

WoW broke records that nobody else ever came close to

I mean OSRS still has a huge playerbase

Same old shitty mechanics
It has never been fun to grind, back in the day this could be understand it due to lack of technology but now? Back then developers have genuine ideas and love for them but now devs are just greedy and lazy

They started to blend together
Nowadays pretty much all MMO's play the same way

I can only tell you why I stopped playing an MMO wich was WoW. Played it for about 5 years and then one day the realization hit me "All the gear and shit I farm will be useless after the next Expansion drops".
TL;DR The grind is what made me not play MMOs

Basically, because it no longer fascinates people. Online persistency is ubiquitous these days.

Attached: dissapointed-face.png (497x649, 182K)

Social media killed them

Because we grew older. Runescape was fun when everything was a mystery. You were just a dumb kid exploring the world and socializing. Once you're old enough to understand how the game is meant to be played the magic is gone.

Convenienced to death

Attached: 1509236934309.png (599x720, 384K)

That's one of the two things that keep me from playing WoW. Like yeah, I could go through another expansion worth of grind, but fucking why? If by some miracle the next expansion is good I can just power through this expansion's garbage, so why would I bother?

The second was that I was kind of enthusiastic about allied races but then I realized they're going to stick hideous rep grinds in front of all of them, which Blizzard thinks will get me to play, but what it actually does is it means that allied races will fail to sell me on an expansion, because I know I'll have to pull teeth for several months before they cough.

What are some decent MMOs with anime graphics that aren't dead? I miss games like Fiesta and Dream of Mirror.

>activision starts telling blizzard what to do
>first they add all the imaginable monetization options they can think of, real transfers, trading cards, pets, mounts etc
>then they start telling them how casualizing everything will bring in new audiences so they add LFR
>people start leaving because surprise surprise they no longer had a goal to strive for

You know what, fuck you, I don't buy this "oh we're just older" shit. People have been saying that for over a decade, but I remember when I first tried Wakfu I was taken by how interesting and novel it was and I found myself actually having fun until the grind slammed me into a brick wall. I'm tired of people blaming me for failing to be satisfied by mediocrity.

Too much grind and participation awards

Attached: 1560640201961.jpg (442x550, 22K)

Free post-launch content updates are becoming more and more commonplace, Why would I pay a subscription for a game that has miserable content droughts twice a year?

A shit game became the most popular one, and everyone decided to copy it

If you were a kid when you played you wouldn't have known what a "grind" was and you would have sunk 500 hours into the game without caring. You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise. You're older now and value your time more which is why you've come to despise MMOs which are grindy by nature.

Garbage themepark mmos like WoW being made and not open world full loot PvP sandbox mmos like runescape that also tried to cash in on WoW's success among normalfags by ruining their own game

Son, I played Ragnarok in my teens, I knew exactly what a fucking grind was, you know what got me through? Persistent PvP drama. Eve kept bringing me back because the community was interesting (although the gameplay was fucking garbage). Wakfu had a really fascinating combat system before higher levels ran it into the fucking ground. Haven and Hearth was unique and interesting enough to keep me going for a long while.

I'm tired of people blaming developer incompetence on my fucking age. The fact that I'm slightly less willing to swallow mouthfuls of shit does not mean I'm incapable of having fun.

Everyone making them past WoW think they're an easy cashgrab but MMOs are probably the most difficult games to balance. Just balancing grind vs fun is what most MMOs seem to fail at.

Literally every fucking MMO needs millions of investor monies and investors are fickle little fucks who won't drop the big cashs unless it is a World of Warcraft clone because in their mind those never flop.

With the rare exception of Runescape and Eve Online, but even Runescape caved and released a patch that turned it into literally World of Warcraft before they released OSRS.

Attached: 304412 - RuneScape human.jpg (785x540, 92K)