Baldur's Gate Thread

Let's talk weapons lads favorite's that you fancy when facing that bad breathed gnoll or hobgoblin,how about those "pesky" beholders huh

Attached: Beholder.jpg (640x853, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate/melee.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If we're ignoring the obvious overpowered staples like Carsomyr or Crom Faeyr, then I'd have to go with that +2 longsword with cold damage that can be carried between games. Mainly just for how easy it is to acquire early while also be valuable well into the second game. After that not much sticks out, outside of niche uses. The first time I played the series I loved lilarcor, but it's like Minsc, in that it's entertaining for a bit but quickly gets really fucking annoying.

Attached: 1561350538972.jpg (632x632, 69K)

I literally just found that sword on my play through of one didn't know it carry's over into the second?

Yeah, you can pick it back up in Irenicus' lair in the starting dungeon of 2.

What's the best class for two-weapon style, to dual class into mage?

Kensei? Swashbuckler? I heard Berserker is really good.

my favorite melf's minute meteors

but if i'm being serious and giving an actual weapon uh fuck, probably carsomyr because of how fast you can get it in bg2. For aesthetic reasons I love quarterstaffs and fighting with them, it's too bad I don't like how the staff of ram looks. Literally would've looked better if it had the default quarterstaff look but it just glowed gold instead.

Berserker is really good because of the ability. Much more valuable than the kensei's thac0 and damage increase, which imo is not TOO great on a dual. Even the kensai's ability pales imo because of the dual.

Thanks, guess I'll do 9 levels of that.

Just don't. Min-maxing in Baldurs is the fastest way to destroy all fun. Stick with a solo class and don't reroll on creation even once. If you get 75 stat points, then suck it up and play with 75 stat points. Honestly you'll have far more fun trying to finish the game with actual limitations to your ability rather than playing as a jack of all trades, master of all trades.

Attached: 73e.jpg (600x943, 70K)

nah

K. Enjoy 80+ hours of zero strategy then. Might as well just watch someone else on YouTube play it. You'll have the same experience.

;)

Just need to get through both games to wait for the one coming out, and lets face it, it's going to be a different game all together.

He's one of those people where he'd say that if you paused you cheated the game and didn't beat it, play how you want tbqh

Not at all. But I am the type that thinks using the most broken character available (a dual classes fighter kit into mage)is kind of a waste of time. I don't mind if he wastes his time. I'm just saying I don't see much point in it personally.

Also
If you haven't already played the classics then theres zero point in doing so in preparation for the new title. It's been clearly stated that it's 100 years later and literally the only thing carrying over is the fact that it takes place in the sword coast.

Lilarcor, of course.

I played Pathfinder Kingmaker. I really liked it. Thinking of buying these games AMD playing them. Hopefully they're as good as people say.

They aren't as good as people make them out to be

This. I completed the series several times after hearing about it but holy god did people fucking hype it up to hell.

They are less obtuse than PF:K. Also, a bit more coherent in terms of game design and mechanics. THaC0 notwithstanding. Just keep an eye out on EE companions. They are cancer.

I don't expect to enjoy it as much as kingmaker. People say it's the best CRPG. This or Mask of the Betrayer.
I've read about the EE stuff. Sad. I'll still play those though. Just easier to do.
What do you mean it's less obtuse? I figured I had have problems with it from age. Less quality of life features.

It's ironically simpler to get into than Kingmaker. Kingmaker has mechanics on top of mechanics on top of mechanics - it's quite a bit cluttered in this regard. BG mechanics are much simpler. There is still a lot of going on under the hood - but there is less player involvement. Fighter is a fighter, you put on an armor, you click stuff, stuff gets killed, that's it. You won't be able to pull off some ridiculously crazy builds like with Kingmaker because the character progession is linear. But it makes the progression much more difficult to fuck up.

People are wrong. It was never really considered that great when it came out and Bioware was never really known for its writing. The game was a labor of love by a bunch of young Canadian guys, some college graduates, some drop outs. They played D&D and insert their own characters into the game, they got the license from their published Interplay/Black Isle.

It's more to say it was a good game from an era when games were games, not movies, not art, not meaningful, not a zeitgeist. Just a game with a save the world story.

Because the era of lootboxes, season passes,
SJW self inserts and censorship, and Fortnite has reached a new level of artistic integrity.

>Pro-tip: Vidya always was and always will be nothing more than disposable entertainment.

>Just a game with a save the world story.
Ironically, nowhere in the series your task is to save the world. You save two or three cities, but that's largely by accident and because you were in the neighbourhood.

Which longsword is better, Varscona or The Burning Earth?

I don't fight, I steal shit, avoid shit and sell shit for a profit back in town.
Then, over a few pints of strong, dwarven ale, I tell the barmaids all about how I delved the shit outta that dungeon, slaying all manner of foul beasties.

Fighting is for meatheads.

Neither of those is a vanilla name. You must be playing EE. In that case just look at the fucking stats you nonce. Is one of them +2 and the others only +1, gee, I'm not sure which is better...

What the fuck? You gonna roll a new guy in bg2, cos none of that fancy shit is available in Bg1.

Shh. It's an EE shitter. Let the young'ns have fun.

I'm sure you know what version he's playing. Don't be a cunt

Maybe he's playing BGT or Tutu?

To be fair, there is canon reason for your character to be overpowered.

for my sorcerer in bg, which I consider my canon playthrough, I roleplayed my lineage as being the cause of my magical power

Which is accounted for by the boons you receive and later the slayer form. Otherwise, no, you're supposed to be exactly as capable as anyone else.

Still, you will most likely never be as powerful as Edwin or Sarevok. They both cheat with their stats.

Why is Yea Forums so good at turning people away from playing games?

Attached: fuckyouguys.gif (498x416, 89K)

because a good part of bg fans are bitter elitist

Sarevok is overpowered as all fucking hell too and ToB describes him as "being in your shadow"

I like how you hate on EE despite never even playing BG1, you autistic larper

;_; poor frog
don't worry about it, you're an unfortunate bystander getting hit with justified disdain for beamdogs sheer jewery and incompetence. you should still play the game, you'll still enjoy it, but man fuck beamdog i stg
you unironically should only be playing bgtutu though if you play bg these days, so the complaint of "that wasn't available in 1" is a bit retarded

well I was defending you for how you wanted to play

Just download the OG baldur's gate 1. Fuck the EE, it adds a bunhh of shit that breaks the game - and I'm not just talking about gay companions and trannyshit - the kits ruin the experience. The cutscenes also suck, and the ugly sprites can fuck off too.
Play it the way it was meant to be played. If you wanna go full minmax autist and roll a mage/kensei in bg2 then go for it, but in all honesty, you might as well just cheat engine yourself invinsible or Max stats and play through like that if you don't want challenge or party tactics.
End of the day, your time/your game, but just don't give beamdog faggots any of your money.
I wouldn't care about their bullshit if they hadn't replaced the OG bg1/2/iwd pages with their crap versions to deviously gain all the positive reviews and mask their negative response with praise for a better product.

Now I feel bad. Honestly, play a version you find the most fun/easier to get into. To be honest I play modded EE myself. BG1 vanilla didn't age all that well and setting up BGT/TuTu is a bitch. So have fun how you think it's best.

Reminder that cleric/mage is stronger than sorcerer.

Attached: 1541487709412.jpg (600x412, 50K)

>i want a version with shit non-scaling interface, awful inventory management and no ability to play with the same kit throughout the entire saga
You faggots are insane, even more so when you're trying to actually make newbies to play in objectively inferior version.

Eh....only around the end parts of the saga

>Played through over 15 times since release

Umm, ok.

I've played both the original and EE - sure there are some questionable additions but overall the EE is as it says, an enhanced edition, I'd recommend it just for usability, resolution and visual range changes alone yet alone everything else
But do pick a simple class, power gaming using kits and maxed stats probably won't lead you down a fun path

Not if you run a smaller party (like you should because full party buff routine get ridiculous).

Well, then of course anything gets good at that point

>I NEED TO HAVE MAXIMUM PIXEL CLARITY IN MY 20 YEAR OLD GAMES!

You probably get really upset over framerates also, don't you?

>setting up BGT is a bitch
How so? Don't you just install and play?

And yet you don’t remember the names of some of the most iconic weapons? Keep larping fag

You are such a faggot.
The game was built with a certain set of classes. It should be experienced first in that guise.
Sure, a scalable ui or wide-screen mod from gibberlings would make it bearable on a modern pc, but all the extra stuff diminishes the initial experience.

Having interface that takes like 3/4 of your screen is an objectively awful thing and if you're actually trying to defend a version without a bunch of obvious quality of life improvements you need to get back to whatver shithole you've crawled from.

BGT is full of bugs

3 isn't going to be good. all of us who loved the old games are going to sit down and load it up and feel like kids on christmas because one of our old favorites finally got a sequel after a million years.

and it's going to suck. it's going to be plagued by all the shit modern games are plagued by. and we're going to be disappointed.

You go ahead and show me a varscona or burning earth longsword from vanilla. I'll wait.

I bet you're the type of fag who'd want to put a modern camry motor into a classic.

Varscona has always been in BG you faglord

Or he can use his head and play whatever the class he will have a lot of fun with instead of listening to some assmad braindead moron who is tying to ruin his experience purely because he has an elitistic stick in his ass.

In fact, here's a link to literally every melee weapon available in BG1 vanilla.

If a name has been changed for EE, then my point still stands.
Faggot.

Technically, yes. You install both BG1 and 2 and install BGT on top of it. The problem begins when you want to install additional mods on top of it. It's not difficult, you just have to know the correct mod order and the more mods you install with BGT, the bigger chance something will fuck up. And it takes forever to set up - because you need to install mods for both BG1 and 2 at once. In this regard EE is simply more ergonomic.

Take your inane ramblings to the nearest mental facility.

Except, no.

Judging from the thread I don't think any game at any capacity can live up to the pedestal of VANILLA bgI/II.

When did I slip into a bizarro world where people actually think the EE is good?

The fuck else are you installing? There aren't *that* many mods you want when playing bg anyway only a few. Does ascension work with ee yet because that's a mandatory one

When did i slip into a bizarro world where people actually think the EE is bad?

Stop with the larp already, it’s clear you never played it and just read wiki
Varscona name was always in the game, run BG1, get Longsword +2 from wolf and look up its description
It clearly states “Varscona”

Oh, not man enough to apologize I see. Typical child.

the best weapon is the stunlocking katana with super attack speed

Stop larping already

I don't mind it on principle. I hate the new "additions" like the companions, but I'm fine with the idea. And new subclasses can sometimes fuck up the balance - enemies REALLY don't know how to counter a Blackguard, but it's still fun - especially for the new players. And if this makes more people play BG - good for them. It's a good game.
But I'm one of the people who think that BG1 vanilla didn't age all that well - I wasn't even a big fan of it back in the day - so what do I know.

>The description overrides the literal fucking title of the weapon.

Wew lad.

baldurs gate has the same amount of strategy whether you're OP or not. Get the overpowered items, use the overpowered spells

Yes, Ascension's been working with EE for a while now.
And on top of my head.
>Ascension
>Unfinished Business (both BG1/2)
>Tweakpack
>BGNPCProject
>Banterpack/Flirtpack
>SCS
>graphical mods like 1pp/widescreen
>some biffing tool so your installation won't explode during loading.

it wasn't a save the world story. bg3 on the other hand will have it because mind flayers are apocalypse-tier enemies.

>item is called Long Sword +2 ‘Varscona’
>”there was no item called Varscona in game!!’
Fuck off faggot

not him but kys fag, varscona is a bg1 weapon, not our fault you never read the descriptions on items

from my current vanilla run

Attached: varscona.png (640x480, 411K)

>shit eating BG1 elitists don't know a thing about their own game

Oh, not man enough to apologize I see. Typical child.

Yes, I know it's called Varscona in the description faggot. But every other titled weapon has the name as the title. Varscona is simply titled longsword +2.

Say that to the faggot who has been telling him to play as a kensei/berserker/mage with specially rolled stats etc.

you need the first 3. maybe banterpack. that's it, the rest are unnecessary shit my lad. you may as well just play a different game once you install scs honestly

>guy specifically asks about mage dual
>one sperglord comes and starts shitting up the thread with his autistic ramblings about BG1 and EE
Don't be that sperglord

Yes. Embrace the sperglord you fucking degenerate. If you're not attached enough to BG to tell someone they're doing it wrong you shouldn't be discussing BG.

Attached: 1mkc3b.jpg (568x383, 68K)

if you want to play bg, pirate the enhanced editions and turn off sprite outlines. play a berserker or pure fighter, or a fighter/something multiclass/dual class at 9. fighter is best pick for noobs who are learning. you'll find spellcasters along the way like edwin and imoen in bg2. use two handed sword imo, or dual warhammers i like. long swords are good in bg2 too.

Take pills

I do. You got some more you're offering?

Attached: splash_780-917-720x340.jpg (720x340, 56K)

For BG1 my weapon of choice is quarterstaff, you can get a +3 one right from the start, also it has quick attack speed so you get to fuck up those annoying spell casters