ITT: Lost video games

Pic related is a news article about an Argentine video game based on the 1999 animated film Manuelita. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuelita_(film)
It says that uses a speech synthesizer for the dialog, instead of human voice actors. Truly an AAA game.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-24 Manuelita, de Pehuajó a la computadora.png (873x370, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yuki.la/a/189140681
youtu.be/gjK7-H4LBO8
steamcommunity.com/app/898800/discussions/0/1646544348824302485/
youtu.be/Y4iSAcgz7tM
megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Mobile_Games
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
youtube.com/watch?v=vWG6sNRJSxU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgVaiOQV-CA
youtube.com/watch?v=K_T0BWysN3I
youtube.com/watch?v=gNjyw-D1YP0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Porteños and their garbage ass animated films like pan triste, manuelita, condor crux and dibu la pelicula , thanks god both garcia ferre died a long time ago

if you count old scrapped versions of released games then theres a shit ton of lost betas and early versions, a recent example is whatever metroid prime 4 used to be is probably gone now
im sure ff7's remake has gone through a couple of different versions, whatever we get is going to be much different than the 2015 one we saw, same with XV that shit changed development a fucking ton too
i really wish that those lost versions would have gotten saved and shown off just to see what we could have got, as early as spore i've always been curious to see how drastically games change over the course of development

Attached: mario sees a switch.gif (360x240, 982K)

The only prototype I'm really interested is Earthbound 64.

Attached: mother3shots[1].jpg (1250x471, 181K)

Bump for interest

I want a Malvinas 2042 remake

i've always wanted to see what was planned for the n64dd

Bump honestly

There's an unfinished Beavis and Butthead arcade game with only 12 prototype cabinets in existence. One of the cabinets is playable at a place called Galloping Ghost Arcade, but the ROM hasn't been dumped online.

Attached: Beavis_and_Butthead_arcade.JPG.jpg (600x960, 126K)

woah, cooolh

Akka Arrh, an unreleased prototype arcade game from 1982. It was lost for years before being dumped earlier this year. The story goes that a hoarder who was in possession of one of the cabinets hired a technician to fix it, and that technician dumped the ROM without his consent.

Attached: Akka_Arrh_Title_Screen.png (256x240, 8K)

Distrust, an early version of the first Danganronpa game. The plot was gonna be similar, but it was gonna have a much darker and gorier tone than what was eventually released. Apparently, it was toned down because Kodaka thought the over-emphasized violence was "detracting from the story [he] wanted to tell."

Attached: Distrust.jpg (350x257, 28K)

I've always been interested in the alphas and betas of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Attached: zelda-64-forest2_orig.jpg (596x419, 34K)

Chu-Teng used to be considered lost media until some anons from /vr/ found a copy and uploaded it. It's a sequel to the extremely abstract Eastern Mind, which got an english release.

Attached: 1551178263261.png (630x409, 347K)

That’s cool but worrying too. I would at least like the rom dumped for preservation.

Fallout Van Buren, the code name for the original Fallout 3 back when it was developed by Black Isle Studios. Eventually, Interplay went bankrupt, forcing them to shut down Black Isle and cancel the game in late 2003. Some of the elements were later incorporated into New Vegas, like the NCR and the Hoover Dam.

Attached: vanburen.jpg (512x384, 50K)

I've been to this arcade and the CRT in that cabinet is SO DARK, you can barely see what you're playing. Like holy fix, you have a prototype game and you can't even bother to service it? Galloping ghost is HIGHLY over rated. Like 1/3 of their arcade cabinets need to be serviced. Super monkey ball didn't even work.

these are the threads I fucking love

btw here's one, a Bionicle platformer thing that was offered as part of a limited time promo with Nesquik, not sure if it was offered anywhere else

I still have mine somewhere

Attached: nesquikcd02.png (500x497, 196K)

Sam & Max: Freelance Police, a canceled sequel to Hit the Road. It was apparently very close to completion before LucasArts canned production in 2004, citing falling sales of adventure games. A bunch of people, including Steve Purcell (the guy who made the original Sam & Max comics), were disappointed.

Attached: Sam_&_Max_Freelance_Police.jpg (300x167, 50K)

here's some in game image, took a bit to find

the ROM has also been uploaded to a few sites, and it's runnable on windows 10

god damnit Yea Forums x

Attached: 136366362_108020518.jpg (720x486, 27K)

DoDonpachi Campaign Version, a rare revision of the shmup DoDonpachi by CAVE. It was essentially a remixed version of the original game, with some altered graphics, increased difficulty, and the addition of a new mechanic called Hyper Mode. It was only given out as a prize for winners in a contest. The ROM has yet to be dumped.

Attached: Dodonpachji_campaign_version.PNG.png (293x432, 368K)

Garage, a really fucking surreal Japanese point and click PC game released in 1999. It was basically one of /vr/'s obsessions until some Australian guy bought it off Yahoo Auctions and dumped it in 2014. Still hasn't been translated, though.

Attached: Garage_bda.png (650x468, 441K)

Apparently there is still a lot of playable cut content to be discovered from the early stages of Half-Life and Half-Life 2 hidden in Valve's source engine developer repository, that only few people have access to. The last leak coming from that repository was a couple of years ago on Facepunch.

Attached: 191118101159_megabuild4.jpg (1920x1080, 969K)

Marble Man: Marble Madness 2, a sequel to the arcade game Marble Madness. It was supposed to be a whole new game with new features and more levels than its predecessor, and was set to release in 1991. It was canceled because Street Fighter II was dominating the market at the time, and Marble Madness 2 was seen as outdated. All known surviving prototype cabinets are currently in the hands of hoarders, and no ROM has been released.

Attached: Mman10.jpg (336x240, 29K)

That's another one I'm interested in. I hope Warner Bros. one day contacts one of the owners of the cabinets for a proper ROM dump.

>The story goes that a hoarder who was in possession of one of the cabinets hired a technician to fix it, and that technician dumped the ROM without his consent.
lel

Attached: 1554635218616.jpg (432x432, 82K)

>It says that uses a speech synthesizer for the dialog, instead of human voice actors
Truly Sudaesque

Attached: HUSTLE.gif (197x200, 1.01M)

they gave out a arcade machine with a unique game? holy shit

Attached: 1556884320273.jpg (634x626, 45K)

Did anyone catch that lost media topic on Yea Forums? What a fucking shit show that was.
yuki.la/a/189140681

Mega Man Legends 3, a canceled MML game that was set to release on the 3DS in 2011, but was shelved the same year. You guys probably know about this one because of that one utterly retarded tweet Capcom made back when it was canceled.

Attached: mml3p42110.jpg (1036x1280, 168K)

WE COULD HAVE HAD A NEO GEO PINBALL GAME
youtu.be/gjK7-H4LBO8

Donkey Kong’s Fun with Music. An intended launch title for Famicom.

I wish I had time and money to make high quality scans of my local video game magazines.

Attached: dk_music_flyer_thumb[1].jpg (2479x1755, 837K)

I ran into this earlier today:
steamcommunity.com/app/898800/discussions/0/1646544348824302485/
Tl;dr A space sequel to Constructor was being made at one point but cancelled in favor of another successor that did release, with the only footage of it existing was a promotional ingame screenshot of it in a magazine.
But more interestingly is the fact that these space elements and concepts ended up in Constructor Plus, 22 years later.

Attached: 1531845088640.png (532x826, 1.27M)

Poinie's Poin, a PS2 platformer released in 2002. Despite only being released in Japan, it has a full English mode that translates and dubs the entire game. To my knowledge, the ISO was dumped a while back, but it seems hard to find.

I actually bought this game for cheap off some jap website not too long ago, I'm planning on dumping it again alongside scans of the manual and whatnot. I'll post it on the PS2 thread on /t/ once I'm finished.

Attached: 2935356-13398_front.jpg (675x960, 147K)

Mean Girls on Nintendo DS is unfindable

This one hurts the most. Someone spent $3000 on the unreleased rom just so people couldn't dump it.
youtu.be/Y4iSAcgz7tM

Attached: sad.gif (500x281, 1.23M)

Kingdom Hearts: V Cast, a non-canon Kingdom Hearts game made for the Verizon Wireless V Cast cellphone network. In 2012, the network was disbanded, making the game unavailable to download. A dump of the first chapter was found, but there's no emulator that can play it, and the other three chapters are lost.

Attached: VCast.jpg (587x697, 121K)

There's probably a shitload of those J2ME games that have been lost since the transition to modern smartphones, I know a bunch of SMT/Persona ones personally
Like an entire fucking sequel to Soul Hackers.

Attached: 1533617674000.jpg (240x240, 15K)

I remember seeing ads for this in magazines, but no one I knew used V Cast.

Absolutely scummy. Those people are asking to get robbed.

the p&c silent hill games were pretty great, despite how outdated and simplistic they were

they're still around in some sites though iirc

Stage Debut
I remember reading about this in a magazine while it was still in development, I think it's what eventually evolved into the Mii idea.

Attached: stagedeb1.jpg (640x480, 100K)

Something similar happened recently with an unreleased Famicom RPG. Those people piss me the fuck off.

I remember playing a pretty good java version of Battleship on my old-ass phone, god knows how would I find it nowadays
At least I kept those id RPG phone games

Was that Satelliview Zelda remake ever emulated successfully?

Attached: bszelda1.gif (468x408, 69K)

Isn't there like, 20 Megami Tensei franchise games on these fucking phones? Including sequels, prequels, and straight up whole PHONE exclusive trilogies? Aren't there 3 Lost Bible games on that thing?

Shinji and Good Friends, a series of six Evangelion-themed computer games released in 1999. Most of them were themed after card games like Voltaire, but one of them was a puzzle game.

Attached: Shinji_and_good_friends_04.jpg (343x384, 127K)

*solitaire

You know it
megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Mobile_Games
Who knows if this even has everything

Attached: 1551821781966.jpg (240x240, 46K)

The PS2 is full of hard to find stuff. I think the Japanese version of Age of Empires 2 is undumped, and the only other choice is the PAL version.

Anyone remember this? Genshi no Kotoba, a weird early PS2 life-sim game that was directed by Yukio Futatsugi (Panzer Dragoon, Phantom Dust) in the brief period he worked for Sony Japan Studio before they'd even adopted the Japan Studio title.

Attached: 199359-303930.jpg (338x478, 32K)

Mario Roulette, an arcade game made by Konami in 1991. Basically just a roulette game but with Mario in it.

Well I think that's all I'm posting for today. Hope you guys enjoyed.

Attached: Marioroulette_machine.jpg (194x259, 22K)

Jesus, these were ALL released in like, a year or two. Released month after month, maybe even bi-monthly. How the fuck did they pull this off? I see some are card games and puzzles, but others look like full side-stories/their own thing. It wasn't just 3 Lost Bible games either; it was a whole trilogy. Fucking hell, of course Atlus would be the company to put all these games on a unemulatable platform.

Warcraft Adventures.
I've played through the leaked version, pretty fun game, too bad they didn't release it. I've read the book that was based on the game long time ago, and it sucks, THE GAME is better.

Isn't that the one that's a point and click with text to speech at certain bits, like "Here's your blasted samophlange"?

There's even a what if smt sequel where the messians won. So much interesting shit stuck on a shit unemulatable platform.

Why exactly are so many jap PS2 games so hard to find? Have they just not been dumped?

I'm not exactly well informed on the specifics of how these games ran (dependency on external services, etc), but if they're plain J2ME then emulators for those exist, like FreeJ2ME
You'd just need to find the files

Yeah, I got the ID mobile RPG games and have actually beaten the first DOOM game on there, but I don't know if J2ME is a catch all for all phones that could execute game programs before smartphones.

Some might not be dumped at all, but a lot might simply require a lot of googling that eventually leads you to some chinese google drive equivalent that might let you download it at 80kb/s IF you catch it in a good mood. It's sorta fun, like being in the old internet in which not everything was at one's fingertips.

>and that technician dumped the ROM without his consent

Attached: 1560733699738.gif (500x364, 983K)

Bump

From a cursory look around, apparently these were i-mode games, which are still Java, but a different version of it. So unfortunately we'd need other emulation software, if it even exists.
Apparently they were quite locked down too.

VG collectors are legitimately subhuman. They don't care for the medium whatsoever but will shell out thousands just to prevent others from experiencing a part of it.

based technician dabbing on hoarders

Attached: expansion dk.jpg (378x434, 28K)

Nah, it was toned down because Spike Chunsoft thought it was too much. They also were the oens who demanded the designs be changed from Black and White to the more colorful anime characters we got in the end.

Maybe for the 10th anniversary, we'll get a DR1 remake with the Distrust ideas, since the point of distrust was going to be a game where every play through the victims, culprits and even mastermind would change but the PSP couldn't handle it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial

I wonder how many projects were lost forever in the wake of the 1983 videogame industry crash.

youtube.com/watch?v=vWG6sNRJSxU

Here's one I remember actually really looking forward to. It was playable at e3 one year prior, had trailers and other promotional material, and was even used in that film Grandma's Boy as the game the characters were creating.

But then, poof, it ceased to exist. Was never released for some reason. Don't even think it was reskinned or changed to avoid any controversy that might have stopped it. It was a fully functioning, polished game that was simply never released. And no ROM exists online either.

Attached: demonik.jpg (1024x1463, 278K)

fuck hoarders

Not actually lost: Edge of Twilight:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgVaiOQV-CA
PS3 steampunk action game that got into development hell around 2009. IIRC publisher withdrew support, the developer staff was laid off without getting paid and the developer CEO fled to Taiwan and tried to peddle the assets. Found investors and made a crappy game out of those assets without the original team ever seeing a penny.
youtube.com/watch?v=K_T0BWysN3I

Metronome

Attached: screen_met_005_1.jpg (800x600, 113K)

Yes. In fact, thanks to MSU-1 development, people have even hacked in the voiced elements

Bump

is there a link to the rom because google brings up nothing

youtube.com/watch?v=gNjyw-D1YP0