What happened to the horror elements of Zelda?

What happened to the horror elements of Zelda?

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1n08e6H6gVA
youtu.be/glEXB65QkiU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NbPit8VhSto
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAW-YsJXjs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iumX1cNtSI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4k6kDII2-Yw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>horror

Jumpscares aren't horror hun

OoT was spooky as shit mostly because of the limited N64 graphics. I remember being scared shitless by the future castle town

Dunno. BotW had it's moments in the malice infested places. It'd probably have more if Stalfos weren't just reskins of the shittiest enemies in the game.

2 looks like it's gong somewhere with it's creepy backwards talking.

I'm playing OoT for the first time (on 3DS) and I found it genuinely creepy. I should look up the N64 version

It's still there, but it has been vastly toned down. I didn't really feel it in BotW(or much a feel of Zelda in general) and especially not in Skyward Sword.

There's all sorts of creepy moments in Zelda. Redeads in Wind Waker and OoT. That one Civil War vision with all the Links in Twilight Princess.

Partially though is because the abstract nature of the games are gone, the 3d of the N64 era really helps build things up.

Playing the ports of this and especially MM on GCN with the sound glitches was top comfy horror

I feel like the castle ruins in BotW could have been creepy but they were going for a more triumphant "return of the hero" vibe than OoT's feeling of pure dread when you walk out of the temple of time for the first time.
Again though the deciding factor for me is the graphics. There's something about the jagged polygonal models of Ps1 and N64 era games that really scares the shit out of me, same thing with horror movies, the older ones with more practical effects do a better job of scaring me. Games and movies now are way too clean, don't leave enough to the imagination.

TP's attempts at "dark" tones were embarrassing and missed the point of actually well executed creepy stuff in previous zelda games. That scene in particular tries too hard and makes no fucking sense.

Hello.

Attached: aonuma.jpg (800x930, 115K)

Reminder that Ganondorf killed the civilians and the children, OoT had a dark story

The zombies used to scare me shitless back then
Also the mages with the lanterns in hyrule fields

It never existed before OoT, and lasted approximately two games. It disappeared with Wind Waker, then game back very briefly with Twilight Princess.

And that's it.

The first Zelda game he worked on extensively was the first one to experiment with horror.

Attached: Zelda_Ocarina_N64_Sell.jpg (300x350, 28K)

yeah exactly
>horror
fuck off dawg
you know this
deadhand, fucking temple of fire theme, fucking the desert itself, shadow temple not even dawg the lil shit like when the skulls pop out at night as a kid, the fucking sheer thought of growin old n lil nigga poe master just there and the sky all dark and shit it was a creepfest supreme lil nigga fuck outta here big lols out here

There are only 2 real horrors I felt during my Zelda lifetime :
- in OOT when I saw the screamers in the central place, realizing that it was the people that died here.
- in Link's Awakening when I read that fucking tablet telling me the real nature of the island. I remember being fucking pissed at the villain of that game and just straight up rushed the game to the final boss so I could end my suffering.

The only other time I got so pissed was when that other bastard killed my ff7 healing waifu.

>That scene in particular tries too hard and makes no fucking sense.
Thanks for outing yourself as a ducking retard.

OOT clearly wasnt meant to invoke horror, the artstyle is so fucking Disney-lite that it hurts

Breath of the Wild may not be super horrifying, but it did a good job at building atmosphere when it needed to. I always freaked out a little when I saw Guardians before I knew how to beat them, the Hinoxes wear the gear of travelers they've eaten on their necks, and I was pretty paranoid that any NPC I ran into in the world could've been a Yiga assassin

>Disney never tries to overtly scare the fuck out of kids

OK

>OOT
>Disney-lite
You better be supporting that claim with some arguments

>implying this isn't scary as fuck, especially playing it as a child

Attached: CfQgp.gif (499x228, 181K)

You should watch dumbo and tell me that shit wouldn't terrify you as a child

Anyone who says their asshole didn't turn inside-out when they dropped into that room full of Guardians under the maze is lying or never got there

Attached: fe32d2a1-982f-4377-8a65-51f8047dbf82.jpg (720x540, 109K)

Here's a tip. Never ever watch the Black Cauldron.

Attached: 1232445575.jpg (299x239, 34K)

>Disney-lite doesn't invoke horror
Clearly you haven't seen The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Literally based.

MM is a Lovecraftian nightmare disytopia

No it isn't.

It's a nightmare, that's about it.

>clearly a horror game
>"y-yeah, sure whatever but all it has is 'being a nightmare"

learn to take a loss user

>>clearly a horror game
disregarding the validity of that statment, it has nothing to do with the fact that it isn't Lovecraftian nor is it a dystopia..

Skyward Sword had the entire basement area under the Ancient Cistern, with the zombie Bokoblins, but that's about it

It’s still there. Not only is BOTW 2 said to be quite dark, but Skyward Sword had the fucking nightmare Silent Realm levels
youtu.be/1n08e6H6gVA (About 1.5 mins in)

FUCK, I knew I was forgetting some shit in my post above
I somehow tried to block the Silent Realms from my memory as of late, but they were easily the most tense thing in that game

Attached: 1556206206788.png (615x802, 317K)

>repressed memories
Everytime I want to replay SS my brain suddenly remembers the massive anxiety of these sections

Lovecraftian - Lol no
Nightmare - Sure
Dystopian - No. LttP's dark world is dystopian. OoT's future is dystopian. WW is dystopian. BotW is dystopian. MM is not

The Silent Realms were great

Attached: 1251863031564.jpg (600x794, 113K)

Honestly same. I'm just glad that the Lightning Round Silent Realms don't give you any Heart Pieces or something to make you want to actively replay those segments.

basedboys cant handle them

youtu.be/glEXB65QkiU

Attached: A7CC5B51-75C1-4A98-A3EA-3DA212BC0A5A.gif (491x343, 1.87M)

What were they thinking with this

Attached: image0-5.jpg (500x278, 29K)

They need Koizumi to bring back that comfy atmosphere, but they haven't allowed him to be involved with Zelda lately.

Attached: 220px-Yoshiaki_Koizumi_2007.jpg (220x284, 16K)

This music doesn't sound creepy or intense to me anymore, it just sounds silly because it reminds me of that regginator video mega64 made.

I remember my brother had to do Bottom of the Well for me because I was too scared.

Those were the days.

Attached: 350.jpg (270x187, 6K)

I struggled to collect the zora eggs in Majroa's Mask because the sea snakes terrified me.

That was a poor attempt, it was just an obligatory horror themed area that wasn't even trying. The bokoblins look too fucking goofy to be creepy, not to mention the art style. Although the redeads in WW were decent.

Shit this is why I'm pretty hyped for BOTW 2 actually. That trailer was actually pretty creepy not gonna lie

Attached: DOORYAH!!!.jpg (125x98, 2K)

Was that ever implied in the game? I am pretty sure everyone just left castle town and the redeads are said to be made of magic and not actually corpses.

Dark story indeed, especially if you consider what happened to link after he finished his journey No one knew of his heroic deeds after going back in time and became a stalfos

Attached: 736F15D867B94A218317E63A3F3844FB.png (818x717, 910K)

Theres actually a lot of death implied in OoT, look at the sages, and ganondorf is just straight up genocidal to the gorons and zoras.

It was only obligatory because the entire dungeon was based on a Buddist story and the part where you climb out and they try and escape with you was a direct reference to it

The whale in OOT was horrifying to me. Probably made me gay from watching it at a young age.

He was tall as fuck so I hope he was at least middle-aged.

>impa is said to go into the shadow temple by the villagers
>as you get close to the boss room theres a maze like room that leads to a few rooms, one of which has this torture rack with blood all under it
>if i remember right navi comments that the blood looks fresh

OoT is a lot darker than most people realize.

Attached: wellpic.jpg (320x240, 50K)

The only person Ganondorf killed in Hyrule Castle Town was the soldier in the alley.
The Gorons were captured to be fed, but you save them all. The Zoras end up just fine at the end. The domain is never unfrozen due to console limitations.

Its still attempted genocide my dude

Yeah lmao okay dude the king of evil whos spread monsters all over the realm and captured all the gorons to feed to a dragon and froze the zoras so they are all dead he just only decided to kill one guy :^) wow hes so nice :^)

It started with Link's Awakening, the game that was partially based on Twin Peaks.

>The only person Ganondorf killed in Hyrule Castle Town was the soldier in the alley.
The only person we know he killed is the soldier in the alley. He likely killed plenty more off-screen.

Shut up little kid

What was his endgame with feeding Gorons to Volvagia and freezing Zora's domain? I don't remember.

nintendo thinks everyone who plays their games are retarded, which ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy

lets make everything into bing bing wahoo
lets make our console an underpowered gimmicky piece of shit for the 3rd time in a row
lets neuter online function to pander to soccer moms

holy fuck this
that and the fucking eel from SM64

They didn't give him the spirit stones, so he had to get revenge, no idea why he left Kakariko in peace though

The Gorons were resisting and he wanted to teach them a ironic lesson by feeding them to the dragon they supposedly beat eons ago.

Zora? Dunno needed a dungeon for the fish mutants.

is that a rape dude

He didn't. Monsters were starting to spawn inside the village itself, where they hadn't before. If left unchecked, perhaps they would eventually have dominated the whole village

> The eel
> Not that fucking piano

The redead evil magic thing is a retcon

As someone who played this at the age of 8, it wasn't.

They didn't exist

Pretty sure that was said in game

When it comes time to play MM, go with the N64 version, not 3DS.

no, you first

I don;t know why some writer in Smash is so obsessed with downplaying the zombies. Especially when in MM where you have a guy literally turning into a mummy zombie thing.

Attached: DKLfGFjVYAAmcRD.jpg (1057x607, 46K)

That description came from the Melee trophy

Not exactly horror, but BotW has a secret message contained in the starting theme of each Divine Beast that messed me up a little when I learned about it. If you listen closely to the first few seconds of the theme for every Beast except for Vah Medoh, you will here a morse code message underneath the instrumentation. The code is “SOS,” which implies that each of those Champions sent out an SOS when they were attacked by the Blight Ganons.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NbPit8VhSto
m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAW-YsJXjs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4iumX1cNtSI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=4k6kDII2-Yw
When it comes to Vah Medoh, you will hear the SOS about 20 seconds into the song, implying that he waited until he realized that he absolutely needed help, being unable to accept that he wasn’t strong enough to win.
The grim part is the fact that you still hear the message 100 years later, reminding you that their calls for help were never answered.

Attached: 2ECC1CA7-8BBD-4BB5-A071-09F516336276.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

They didn't do enough with the theme of corruption. Something like the Breach of Demise but all over Hyrule. The dungeons could have been bio organic monstrocities instead of just that one room in Hyrule Castle. This guy should be literally killing Hyrule.

I wonder if 2 will do more with this considering Ganon's gone.

So they were just stubborn and wouldn't give them him the stones. What if everyone just did what Ganondorf commanded? Maybe he would be a decent ruler.

Previous user is a zoomer, he has never seen nor heard of Who Framed Roger Rabbit

enjoy your Sony movie console

I've always kinda wondered what his end game was. Like congratulations, you rule Hyrule now except you killed like 2/3rds of its inhabitants and are sending it into complete ruin. This is bad for you.

I guess part of his curse going back to Demise is that he just wants power for the sake of it more than anything.

Wind Waker happened and now anything scarier than a blue granny with hoop earrings has to have all the edges sanded off until it's Hello Kitty levels of family friendly.

Attached: Link_Artwork_8_(The_Minish_Cap).png (200x306, 87K)

calm down dude

>What happened to the horror elements of Zelda?
they're gonna come back for botw 2

Attached: aaaaaargh save me link.png (760x554, 375K)

>Not only is BOTW 2 said to be quite dark
Niggas don't know how to translate. They said the trailer they showed was dark, not that the game would be.

>They said the trailer they showed was dark, not that the game would be
yeah, i'm sure that showing a darker atmosphere for one trailer doesn't totally represent the final product's too

They state in game that impa is the only reason kakiro is still safe, and even then once she disappears in the shadow temple the evil sealed away in there starts to grow stronger and seep out to attack the village

To be fair Roger Rabbit wasn't exactly scary.

Or, you know, the series wasn't scary at all.

Edgy and cuckpilled

Not everyone was autistic at 8 though

Attached: e for everyone.jpg (2500x2972, 2.53M)

Why the fuck is the Moblin there?

Because user is basically a dog scared of anything out of the norm.

Why IS the big Moblin there? It could have easily been anything else.

Attached: 22793630_705522856300190_2893799361743945728_n.jpg (1080x1060, 203K)

Do you honestly think there was no art direction involved? That their hand was completely guided by technical limitations, and no one actually put any thought into how the game should look?

The sounds he makes were kinda creepy for a kid. Also, he was pretty intimidating if you didn't know how to easily get past him.

Fuck redeads. those moblins made me jump out of my skin the first time one of those pricks screamed and bum rushed me.

it should be the regular moblins because that's a pretty loud jump scare

You can just tell by his corpse he's going to be super handsome when he regains his flesh.

The entire military is dead except for the turncoat Poe Salesman, and some NPCs don't reappear in the future or have aged-up versions, not to mention that the market stall crowds are meant to be a generic representation of people. Furthermore, Ganondorf sent an army to Goron City before capturing them, so some Gorons likely died in that attack, and some Zora likely died from the long freeze as well.

I just want to be able to play this on the tv...

OoT Ganondorf wanted to rule the world. Hyrule was merely the first step in that plan for him.

Attached: FILE2083.gif (273x227, 490K)

>Get speared by Moblin
>Try to climb out of water pit
>Get speared by Moblin again

Citra, dingus

More like
>Get speared by Moblin
>land in the water
>Link automatically climbs up as he rises to the surface going forward

It still annoys me that we never un-freeze Zora's Domain in the future. Is there a reason for this, anyway? Some heartpiece we couldn't get otherwise?

It's a big ice cube, it'll thaw out eventually. Ruto says that.

The official SKyward Sword explanation is that Demise wanted the Triforce and Ganondorf's desire to take Hyrule was just the side effect of that.

Though SS is shit and never explained what Demise even wanted the thing for.

>Is there a reason for this, anyway? Some heartpiece we couldn't get otherwise?
Nope. It's just because they ran out of time and didn't prioritize making a thawed map / storyline elements.

Yeah, but we don't get to see it. Goronia is repopulated whe we beat Volvagia, the Kokiris return to their forest once the new Deku Tree grows, but the zoras are just dead forever.

I think we see Zora's Domain thawed out in the credits.

i liked that the zora domain stayed frozen, it gave somewhat of a sorrowful, bittersweet vibe, like "even though i triumphed, some things have been lost forever"

It just seemed kinda arbitrary to me that it would hit the zoras. They already lost Jabu Jabu, isn't that enough?

Also, now that I am thinking about it, doesn't BotW's "Zoras live super long" kinda contradict how Ruto grew up in only 7 years?

Maybe they hit puberty at around the typical human time and then just slow down big time.

yeah it's true that it seems arbitrary, which makes sense since it may not have been voluntary from the devs, but still, i like the feeling, and it makes your imagination wonder

>Also, now that I am thinking about it, doesn't BotW's "Zoras live super long" kinda contradict how Ruto grew up in only 7 years?
Just because they live a long time doesn't mean they grow to adulthood slowly.

Imagine being this retarded

Not that MM is dystopian, but I am pretty sure that you don't know what "dystopia" means.

They are basically water elves that aren't mermaids. That's why in a lot of media late teen elves and hundred year old elves look similar

>shadow temple not even dawg the lil shit like when the skulls pop out at night as a kid, the fucking sheer thought of growin old n lil nigga poe master just there and the sky all dark and shit it was a creepfest supreme lil nigga fuck outta here big lols out here

Attached: 1500776360310.jpg (403x395, 19K)

Kind of gay to just introduce this little contradictory factoid though. Zelda contradicts itself alot but never this badly. Like for instance I doubt King Zora would only be the 16th in his line if his species lived for centuries.

>Like for instance I doubt King Zora would only be the 16th in his line if his species lived for centuries.
Well, Hyrule is 1000s of years old.

I was honestly too scared of dogongo's cavern as a kid

>can't stand still or this giant hand falls on top of you
>find the maiden in the Theives Village
>She's a giant monster who can pop his head off
>You're totally doomed if you didn't bomb the ceiling first because he's immune to damage if he isn't in sunlight.

That and Skull Woods were scary.

Attached: maxresdefault (3).jpg (1280x720, 153K)

Blind doesn't even transform unless the ceiling has been blown up first. He also takes damage no matter where he is in the room.

I had a fear of Wall Masters for a while. Shadow hand popping from the ceiling was scary as shit as a kid. Took a long time to do Forest Temple because of this.

>Like for instance I doubt King Zora would only be the 16th in his line if his species lived for centuries.
He may be the 16th king in his family line. Before that, maybe there was another family line that were royalty and ended up going extinct for some reason. A revolt, or maybe something as simple as not having an heir when the king died.

Go look it up

Why post pictures of the remake where everything is too bright and clean?

Attached: file.png (640x400, 278K)

Attached: 1560577034443.jpg (2388x1668, 236K)

how the fuck are there 3 topics about zelda? what the fuck are you guys talking about? you were afraid of a certain innocuous visuals from Ocarina of Time? Were you 2 years old? What the fuck is going on?

Attached: space-patrol-luluco-1-1.jpg (1045x576, 79K)

I actually just had a university class about it.

Demise is just kind of the baddie bad. Ganondorf was always a baddy bad to

this

Call me a brainlet, but i just realized that Ganondorf's corpse is probably the source of Malice. They tried to seal him, but his literal Malice and evil kept seeping out and fucking up Hyrule.

Attached: 1541398807692.png (720x720, 629K)

>Call me a brainlet
kay
>brainlet

I hope they don't buddy up or soemthing. Ganondorf made it pretty clear in WInd Waker he's not fond of the interwined with these two kids destiny shit.

Nigga, my first blood moon scared me shitless. I hit a wolf and started fighting it and I thought I just angered a wolf god or something.

You can't talk about horror in any context, because there will always be "i never been scared, never" people coming out of the woodwork

>Cartoonshit
Can already tell by the art style you're incorrect

Attached: 5MXN7SX.jpg (281x283, 13K)

It was pretty obvious that Demise was just some demon he who wanted to rule. I'm the last one to defend Skyward Sword, but a theogonic story doesn't really need complex motivations for its villains.

I wouldn't mind a Ganondorf who is just done with it all and wants to die already. For good.

What's your idea of horror, then? Does it have to look as realistic as life?

He's a shitposter, why reply to him?

no but you literally can't have a colorful cartoon wind waker game that has horror elements and expect it to be taken seriously.

let me guess, you unironically thought luigi's mansion was scary too?

Attached: 59914459_347133729483906_413839042654225395_n.jpg (600x624, 65K)

I'd still go and look it up if I was you

Oh shit. I never realized it was implied Impa was offed...

I'll tell ya what, the remake really fucked the atmosphere of the Phantom Ganondorf battle. Removed the haze and brightened it all up.

See? He's completely dodging your question. Please don't invite him to shit up the thread further. Just ignore.

>literally can't
Suit yourself

There's some meta for this scrapped character that makes her presence in this sidequest, as well as what happens to that weirdo carpenter's son, really creepy....

I didn't dodge his question you're literally a child or a onions guzzling basedboy if you think this type of art style in conjunction can have horror elements that work.

Attached: file.png (720x406, 330K)

>I didn't dodge his question you're literally a child or a onions guzzling basedboy if you think this type of art style in conjunction can have horror elements that work.
Why not?

Why would your response to being called retarded be to double down on your retardation?

Why are you replying?

I want to give user the benefit of the doubt and see if he has a legitimate opinion.

Want to show me some examples of cartoon shit games that are legitimately scary?

>thread about eerie and spooky shit in N64 Zelda
>no mention of Skulltullas
Come the fuck on, Yea Forums. The sound alone was unsettling, but then you see these body horror creatures. Shit was too much for me back then, I dreaded going in that house. It was, funnily enough, less spooky in Majora's Mask, because the place was brighter and there was only one transformed guy.

Its not the same scary, its the ''oh shit I'm in deep shit'' scary, which is a more comical one

The scaries shit in Zelda was hands down Ooccoo. I only played TP long after I got Brawl, and spent quite some time looking at the Twilight Princess trophies in that game. The one of the weird chicken lady and her flying head son creeped me the fuck out.

She has FOUR TITS

Yes, I'm aware. I looked at that figure for a long ass time.

Subnautica. However I would like to point out that the original argument posed wasn't about being scary, but having horror elements. Being "legitimately scary" is an arbitrary definition because what scares someone is subjective. I haven't found any horror game "legitimately scary" since I was 12.

Also, why can't a cartoon style game be scary? You have yet to answer this.

Attached: 234203950998253.jpg (838x344, 191K)

>what happened

Nothing, different games, different atmosphere and tones

BOTW 2 is giving you that horror meme anyway so your question is invalid

The cursed collectacon NPCs were always scary, be it the Skulltulla family, the demon living in Skyloft, or even the golden guy in TP. Yeah, all of them are pretty goofy on closer inspection, but they still have eerie vibes about them.

You don't need a curse to be creepy, even.

Attached: 1561011613117.png (920x1867, 1.75M)

Yeah except that in TP it speaks English and is a goofy fucking item that can be added to your inventory each dungeon

Same thing as what happened to fairytales:
People no longer remember that they're meant to teach a lesson and not only be for children.
Also nu-fag generation seems to think that kids are made out of sugar and thus don't even wanna spook them to behave.

Attached: oot - bottom of well - squatting redead.gif (500x274, 94K)

How does that change her having FOUR TITS?

I don't think the concept of horror necessarily means scary. It can also be unsettling, disturbing. bizarre or stressful under certain circumstances.
Wind Waker has great atmosphere throughout the whole game, effectively achieving some horror situations.
On the other hand, Twilight Princess has a more mature and darker style but the music, lighting, enemies and locations are so bland, it barely manages to properly represent horror elements.
And yes, Luigi's Mansion also manages to do horror and cartoony-slapstick comedy well. Being scary is subjective (age, personal experiences and cultural reasons).

I lot of early Nintendo titles have this weird creepy vibe to them, Mario 64 is a big one, even Banjo felt spooky at times

>especially not in Skyward Sword
Nigger what
Silent Realm was fucking spooky

Attached: HarmlessCircularGalago-small.gif (435x250, 1.08M)

Unfortunately, I had the existence of that room spoiled for me. Luckily, I still had no idea where it was. The scariest moments I had in BoTW was whenever the Guardian music started but I didn’t see a Guardian.

This

Attached: Levias body horror.png (777x624, 434K)

I generally agree that SS had scary moments, but that parasite boss was goofy more than anything. Plus, I will forever be annoyed by the fact that it took me way too long to notice I had to jump off my bird and stand on the whale to finish the boss, because all the eyeballs looked the same.

I literally cannot remember a single horror-themed moment from WW. Neither can I for TP, to be fair.

Skyward Sword had Ghiram, who was legitimately creepy as fuck. Best Zelda villain in a long time

Didn't WW have super spooky redeads?

>and I was pretty paranoid that any NPC I ran into in the world could've been a Yiga assassin
That worked maybe like twice but then it got easy to spot them and they all got super easy after a while

>I literally cannot remember a single horror-themed moment from WW.
The first time you run into one of these is a giant freak out and then whenever you see one, you just want to kill it fast. However I do agree there aren't any real spooky elements

Attached: 146005-20;1519134711t[1].jpg (450x450, 148K)

I guess I was kind of desensitized to them from my time playing OoT. I didn't even remember them being in WW til you mentioned them

what about the fucking ghost ship prowling the ocean

And everyone says Majora's Mask is edgy.

the sages are all dead

>running out of stamina with these mofos right on your ass

Attached: 33beceee63dfe1bc8d5d539d2f6771f66b8d7aa4.jpg (300x300, 22K)

false, he didn't become a stalfos, he became a spirit

please god post some more.

WOAH THAT'S CREEPY DUDE I'M NOT SLEEPING TONIGHT

>forest temple theme in oot
Legit the only thing that is still unsettling in that game today

what a great post

The sages are all alive and well again in the ending.

It was done it keep the game's E rating. Smash Bros. can't have real corpses.