Why is this game so underrated? It's literally the LAST remaining old MMO

Why is this game so underrated? It's literally the LAST remaining old MMO

>huge world, open sandbox
>unique gameplay offering shit tons of customization
>tons of lore
>community driven
>no instant gratification
>actually make lasting friendships with people you meet

Attached: 171388-eve-online-special-edition-macintosh-front-cover[1].jpg (800x1104, 165K)

Carebears exist

they gave nerds too much control, which lead to absolute risk aversion as the main gameplay

Because it plays like shit and is only fun in theory

but how many hours did you play? just starting out can be grueling

>It's literally the LAST remaining old MMO
Doesn't matter how old it is if it's pandering to modern gaming sensibilities.

I tried EVE and I wanted to enjoy it but I can't stand the combat. It's so god-awful boring. What I want is a space game like EVE but with ship combat like FTL. I want to scan ships and aim at separate systems, with vastly different weapons that have unique properties and interactions. I want space combat that feels like dynamic puzzles not excel spreadsheets.

>I want space combat that feels like dynamic puzzles not excel spreadsheets.
I've played the game since 2013 and I've only used spreadsheets for managing my corporation as a corporate officer, never for combat. I used spreadsheet way more for WoW PvE then I ever did for EVE.

Everyone acknowledges that EVE is an amazing, one of a kind game. The reason people don't actually play it is because the form factor is absolutely awful. It has all the benefits but also all the down sides of all MMOs.

Gameplay consists of multi boxing 5+ different accounts, you spend huge amounts of time moving around and, most of the time, do nothing except wait for the right moment to strike. Combat is boring and lasts either 30 seconds or several hours because of time dilation.

It's fun to read about how some epic battle took place and some faction lost half a million dollars in ships because someone screwed up. Also it's kind of boring because there's a faction that controls half of the universe and its wealth, meaning that they can replace destroyed ships faster than any other faction could possibly destroy them.

Attached: semi circles eve.jpg (1618x828, 306K)

This is one of my biggest complaints with the game. If "winning" is described by controlling space or inflating your wallet, then it makes being part of a large alliance one of the core ways to win, and that's usually boring as shit. Even most forms of piracy goes out the window because your average haul will always be less than what you could've made moon mining or cooperating with a larger group.

I eventually just dropped EVE because I realized at the end of the day I wanted to fly around and shoot shit without a lot of setup beforehand and EVE's not that kind of game. I like the strategy involved in solo and small gang PvP, it's simply that roaming for several hours only to have most players run from you means you get about ten hours of boredom for 10 minutes of fun. Those 10 minutes of fun might be really, really great, but I'm trying to unwind after a day of work, and I don't want the majority of my evening taken up jumping between gates and playing with my d-scan.

I always wished there was a Faction Warfare spinoff where anywhere from a few dozen to hundreds of players were locked in a single constellation and had objectives to accomplish, but the catch was that you could quickly respawn for combat with a ship quickly fitted to match your previous one, even if it did cost ISK every time you died. A similar thing can be done now, but it's time intensive to get a few dozen ships built and loaded out in a station and the systems you might be in are often pretty dead anyway.

It's not underrated. It's an almost 20 year old game that's been surviving off 30k concurrent player average for almost as long. Everyone it appeals to has basically tried it already.

I actually like the combat for PvE, I think incursions and small gang deadspace complexes are fun. In combat with other players, usually so much firepower is brought to bear on one side that small fights are over pretty quickly, which is kind of a shame.

Dust 514 was fun and would still be alive today had it been released on PC.

Is this game like /pol/ in space?

it makes battles where both forces have equal numbers so much more satisfying

You can make huge corporations and alliances in this game. It's been alive for so long that the entire universe has been divided into huge mega-corps that control all the resources, and everything else within their space too. Those corps are literally too big to die because their income from mining is so fast that small ships are replace faster than their exploding animations are finished playing, capital ships are replaces within seconds and super-capital ships replaced in a couple minutes.

When it comes to megacorps fighting, nothing has any real impact. Oh, and don't forget that people are controlling 10~20 ships simultaneously.

Attached: 1457721651557.jpg (400x317, 19K)

damn its like eve is a simulation of real life. people forming big alliances like NATO and shit

Which leads to the mantra "Playing EVE is like having a second job". It's the perfect MMO, all the good and bad aspects of it turned all the way to 11.

Because its P2W hotboxing garbage where the entire point of the game (lots of time = lots of reward) was reduced to lots of real money = lots of reward.

Its stupid, and shit.

Great premise though, the concept of nulsec is great and should be stol- i mean copied by other MMOs.

I've always wanted to try a Ragnarok Online PK-enabled server with security status mechanics. Unfortunately, there is very little space for PvP-focused RO servers right now.

>Instead of small/medium corps, there are now giant alliances controlling nullspace
>It is now safer and easier to farm in null than lowsec because of this
>You can buy skill injectors
>You can pay to legally multibox
>There are bots everywhere
>Alliances are making so much money that war is pretty much meaningless
Ayyyyyyyy. Only somewhat good thing about this game is wormholes, but that gets boring eventually. This game is deadarooni.

Attached: 1538385517713.png (710x1000, 1.03M)

Because it's objective shit.
Do you like anarcho-capitalism, with all the cons and the pros?
If yes, this game is for you.
Have fun having to level up your character for at least 70000 hours of ingame time to be at the same level of everyone.
If no, just play something else.

>Have fun having to level up your character for at least 70000 hours of ingame time to be at the same level of everyone.
but you dont have to spend '70000 hours' to be at the same level of everyone else. this isnt WoW where you literally have to spend 300+ hours to get max level, get all the reputation/basic gear, then grind raids/pvp to actually get to the same level of everyone else just to be effective. you can spend a month or two playing and become quite effective

That would be neat, but as you say, no space for it.

Nulsec is amazing but I feel like it needs some developer imposed controls on it. Its not fun either finding no one, or getting hopelessly swamped. I sort of imagine a system where if you have a job to transport goods from A to B, you have to create a contract for it and depending on what you bring determines its rating. Then a opposite contract is made for someone to take to attack you. If you bring lots of good gear and people, then the opposite contract matches that. That way you get a fair fight which could go either way, instead of pure sandbox fuckery.

Pure sandbox inevitably just ends with either everyone being a dick all the time, or everyone cooperating since thats more efficient than fighting. Modern EvE is just a giant safe space money grinding simulator.

the flipside to that is the fact you kinda need to play, a whole fucking ton, to figure out what specialization really appeals to you. Because everything seems important and, unless you just spend several thousand dollars straight away, you won't be able to get everything.

Contrary to what people believe, pushing for player controlled sandbox usually leads to force-imposed peace, or just everyone cooperating because that's just easier. Reminds me of Todd on E3 saying that, contrary to their expectations, players on FO76 were being nice and helpful instead of griefing.

Like a dumbass I bought a sub after trying to get enough ISK for the plex for like 3 months.
The game became immediately boring after that and I dropped it because it's quite literally a phone game with a bigger UI.

another point id like to make: this same type of attitude can apply to any game. Why should I play CSGO when I need to play many many hours to get to the same level as MANY PLAYERS who have been playing since CS 1.6? almost 20 years of playtime.
Where other players are at in a game shouldn't stop you from enjoying a game.

FO76 brutally punishes you for being a dick and Todd is a hack. If it didnt punish you everyone would kill everyone else all the time, just like in DayZ.

EvE has other activities which are more important than killing people but cant be completed without others as well so it forces people to cooperate eventually. But yeah, if the actual goal is wealth, progress, ect then cooperative gameplay is better than just fighting each other.

well, what actually happens is outside of your binary thought bullshit, is people take control of areas, work together to exploit those areas, and salivate at the opportunity to engage in any sort of combat with other entities. Which also causes other entities to roll into said areas, pretending to be small groups trying to pull whatever they can from the area, only to have a larger force in their pocket ready to hop in and stomp on the locals. Which the locals anticipate and, also, have a larger force in their pocket to stomp all over "angler" groups. Which said "angler" groups also anticipated, and, potentially, have on contract yet other entities ready to swoop in and stomp all over the local angler-stomper force. Which flips back and forth until one side feels they don't really want to spend the time/resources necessary to crush another group.

But that was the meta a couple years ago. I hope to fucking god it has changed.

>this same type of attitude can apply to any game. Why should I play CSGO when I need to play many many hours to get to the same level
Apples and oranges.

Becoming a pro archer would take me a lot of time and practice. Becoming a pro archer but every time I had to shoot an arrow I had to wait 10 hours for an arrow to be generated for me is a time gate.

The point they are making is the fact that EvE has more time gates than skill gates. Your personal skill development as a gamer is capped by EvEs time gates which are fucking massive, to the point where some take months to years to get.

Literally nothing you said is relevant to your post but thanks for the (you) retard

>But that was the meta a couple years ago
That wasnt the meta ever in eve shitposter and at no time was combat dictated by contracts.

>back-and-forth pocket cynos was never the meta

its weird how often people will deny objective fact on Yea Forums.

instant gratification is what ruined gaming tho
besides there should be time gates for things such as capital ships or ships that are very good for a specific role

there was never a time when "instant gratification" was not present in gaming. it was always a balancing act. instant gratification serving to bridge people into later gratification, etc. the issue is games stopped offering anything "later."