youtube.com/watch?v=c3UGNFUIiV4
youtu.be/ONKi2S6YBSU
youtu.be/AjzVXL2RoVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the number idiot
can't you read

Level design is fucked

absolutely nothing

The multiple player characters gimmick is my only major complain with this game. The open level design is not that big of a problem, but it can lead to a slower playthrough if you don't want to die in the first few milliseconds

Who said anything went wrong?

A third one wasn't announced at E3

Attached: HLM2 2.png (702x517, 94K)

I enjoyed it but the level design was frustrating as fuck. the first one was hard as shit but always felt fair, 2 felt like it was full of bullshit traps that were trial and error. it's been a while since I played it though.

The end

epic AND original!!!

I thought the copycat killers having their own unique abilities and being selectable between each other was cool, but then you had shit like the military dude levels and the fucking journalist in addition to the massive open level design slowing the pacing of the game in general to a fucking crawl

katana zero was a better follow up to hotline miami than its own sequel desu, I get that it's a hard formula to iterate on but they went about it the wrong way in my opinion

I felt like the level design forced you into a very particular playstyle. With the increase in enemies players are more inclined to play more defensively and bait enemies rather than go balls to the wall crazy with the the gunplay.

>but then you had shit like the military dude levels
>military levels
>Shit
I will fight you
youtube.com/watch?v=mCikIkXslP0

there never be a HM3 dumbass
twitter.com/hotlinemiami/status/836650113514688512?lang=en

Being set in a post-HM1 world immediately sucks out most of the atmosphere. The unnerving part of the first one was at least partially not being able to tell what's real, and since the main character dies at the end, we are now playing as someone who is completely outside that haze. The game isn't nearly as surreal.

Not that guy but stopped playing at the military levels. Shit got boring. Not to mention even if nothing specific went wrong, the level design just wasn't tight enough to have the same high speed gameplay of the first one.

IMO, something changed in level design and lack of variety in game-style (since now you have to stick with certain character and his weapon)
But music was great
Also, another IMO, alternative history ruined the immersion from the story

my only complain was the narrative, too much time jumps

The ending for sure, I miss the copycats

Bad level design that funneled the player into a specific playstyle, whereas the first game allowed for a lot of experimentation with the multiple masks.

They clearly misunderstood what made the first game work, it was a fluke.

Attached: 1560555811390.png (250x492, 187K)

Absolutely nothing
This is a masterpiece of a game.

Attached: 20190615122313_1.jpg (1920x1080, 675K)

>military dude levels and the fucking journalist
These were the only good levels in the game

Name a more memorable level

Attached: apocalypse.png (360x590, 20K)

PUSH IT

Thanks doc

Katana ZERO>HL1>Hong Kong Massacre>HL2

RELEASE

You must be joking. Outside of a catchy song push-it is still just the same running from small room to small room killing mooks that all the first half of HM1 is. Apocalypse is mind-blowing especially it tying into Death Wish, the 2nd best level in the game.

Attached: animals.gif (400x500, 821K)

yeah but it's set in a disco
also it's the first level where the game explicitly suggests that your character is straight insane

The ending.

map design
the first game was very punchy and that was why it was good

>complaining about originality in a "what went wrong" thread

Technically that's Full House. There's a sewer grate outside the house which you can enter if you bring the crowbar. Inside a man with a crocodile mask striaght up says its all just a dream

1) Level design 2) Maybe a hot take, but lots of the characters just weren't fun to play and were too restrictive

2 long

Too many Grassy Knolls, where you get shot in an area you can't even fucking see.
That one level with Manny is horrid and full of it.
Locking Gameplay to a linear progression is shit, the fact that the Fans and The Son get the same abilities is garbage tier, I dont wanna play the same character twice. Locking out abilities to tell a narrative isn't fun, its boring, and the game isn't cryptic anymore and straight up just spoonfeeds you information.

The levels are hard because of their design not because of an actual challenge, and the only really frustrating levels are that one in the docks with Manny and that military power station one, again only due to Grassy Knolls being in the game.

hey anons
It's not hard at all if you stay alert and know what you are doing. The only thing that is truly bullshit is the weapon pick-up system which wont prioritize a full-gun over an empty one. Honestly the coding could do with a lot of polish

Attached: shift.jpg (300x254, 11K)

You get killed by bullets coming from off-screen way too much compared to the first one, which is what ruined Katana Zero as well. Being killed like this is frustrating and a sign of bad level design.

wrong studio
wrong depth o being stuck up their own ass (the score 50% of time is obnoxious, drug-distorted poncy mess)

both games have the same flaw in that the engine isn't perfect and shit like weapon pickup and executions don't happen when they should

Best level theme coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=BzuPI7tk9B8

youtube.com/watch?v=IapoFKex3vs&t=
>that guitar
Dennis Wedin himself agrees. This song and its level are the best in the game.

Literally nothing.

And that's OK. I rather see new IPs from Dennaton.

>the ability to choose between different playstyles is used in a handful of stages at best, and the rest of the time you're stuck with different varieties of Rooster and one interesting nonlethal option
>level design is full of open spaces, forcing either rote memorization or defense play
>playing for score has less options than 1, and usually boils down to finding the weird trick that lets characters kill downed enemies quickly (like Manny having a pistol or a shotgun in his hands, or Evan never dropping a bat)
>Soldier's gimmick wasn't very good, and it was easy to burn through ammo and get fucked by fat Russians
>only two actual Son levels in the base game

Le Perv is just the beta version of You're Mine.
youtube.com/watch?v=gQ5gtInauiI

best HM2 level theme was Run.
Sexualizer was better live

Sadly seems like we arent getting that either. It's been 5 years and I doubt they are making some super-big game which would take half a year to work on.
Looking at interviews. They made what the game they wanted to play and dont seem to care for doing much else.

Attached: hotline miami fans comic.jpg (465x517, 74K)

story-gameplay balance got overstoried.

the fact that i've heard the track outside of the game first took it away from my experiene
perturbator is always at their best (making you feel in danger, but giving slight hope that you will succeed... absolutely epic)

also, for the longest time i though i heard this track
vimeo.com/85903713 (skip to 36:45) in HLM2 but now i can't find it anywhere (is it Lazerhawk?)

>absolutely epic

Attached: 1516895479537.jpg (387x437, 40K)

But Roller Mobster is the beta version of You're Mine

you're still not fit for this outfit - try harder

okay here's what's going to happen
you're going to play this at 1.25 speed
youtu.be/BzuPI7tk9B8
you're going to realize it sounds like a tamer version of You're Mine.
no matter what happens from then onward you'll be a faggot

There were a few frames of a mystery game during the Devolver E3 show last year, which was speculated to be the new Dennaton game, but the fact that we haven't seen it yet tells me they're probably not working anything at all anymore.

>their
Perturbator is one guy, James Kent.

Post underrated bangers
youtube.com/watch?v=WXxQu4s20GY

youtube.com/watch?v=agCiXI8kZjE
youtube.com/watch?v=DP9SXGFnIxM
youtube.com/watch?v=c3UGNFUIiV4

Good times never last

Kavinsky - Nightcall

oh ffs - it was the Drive all along.
Thanks m8 - here's OC music video
youtu.be/ONKi2S6YBSU