Why are there so few mech games?

Why are there so few mech games?
And of the mech games there are, why do so few of them have humanoid mechs (aka the best type of mech)?

Attached: 3552830-screen shot 2019-06-22 at 12.31.46 pm.jpg (1280x720, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5BpIBTmNHNw
twitter.com/DUALGEARGAME/status/1140627412478115842
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

user my lad, this year of our Lord and savior 2019 is THE year for mecha games.
Currently in development slotted for a 2019 release we've got:

Synaptic drive, a custom robo spiritual successor
Hawken reboot
Daemon x machina
Mechwarrior 5
Metal wolf chaos Xd
A medabots mobile game
Dual gear
Phantom brigade
Project six, a fan made armored core esque game
Gundam cross rays
Hardcore mecha
M.a.s.s. builder
And probably more
You've just gotta wait for them

Humanoid mechs are pretty lame if you ask me though.
Sure the basic premise of two arms, a body/head and legs can't be beat, but by using the same skeletal system but with deviations they can look much better.
Compare the first few images of the zwerg from s.l.a.I to the first few images of the proton from the same game. I'd argue that the former is more interesting

Attached: 1557990397391.jpg (1367x2048, 428K)

Humanoid robots are cool because you can have traditional human fight choreography/actions + huge guns and missile circuses + rockets and shit.
If you've never played an Armored Core, you need to. Also play Titanfall 2.

Attached: 1551888217727.gif (400x235, 1.99M)

from an artistic standpoint i get that humanoid mechs would be more relatable and comfortable to animate
but im very interested in what people can do outside of their comfort zone. its why im a fan of sci-fi shit in the first place

Fair and equally valid preference. I guess I view getting into a mech as becoming a stylized, ultimate realization of a pilot's character, so to me it makes sense to at least keep some humanoid elements to keep the idea of a person present. Blowing someone's ass out with a pile driver in Verdict Day just wouldn't feel as good to me if there wasn't a big wind up to the punch beforehand, and if it wasn't propelled by an arm chosen and painted the way I wanted to represent myself.

>He didn't play SRW T and see G Gundam and GUN X SWORD in glorious HD
lol @ (you)

youtube.com/watch?v=5BpIBTmNHNw

You have Super Robot Wars, Robotech, and Gundam, but nothing quite on the level of a character-action robot game. There's nothing like tearing apart an Angel's AT field and eating it's core like you're Dante the Devil Slayer.

Zone of the Enders isn't quite on the level of DMC, but it's the closest I can think of unless OP specifically wants NGE.

Isn't that Transformers Devastation though?

>Tfw we'll never get a Getter Robo video game with OPEN GET dodge cancelling

ZOE2 is definitely the closest I've felt to an NGE or Rebuild paced video game. The ending with the final boss especially is some modern action anime shit.

>ZoE feeling at all like NGE
I...what? How? Jehuty is a permaflight sword-slashy DBZ-ball-throwing mechanical figurative God, Eva Units are lobotomized golems wrapped in restraints and barely functional outside of their AT field generation. Not to shit on them, because they make perfect sense for their setting and tone, but I never thought "yeah, this is an eva simulator" while playing ZoE, I was thinking more of an Exia simulator.

>Dual gear
Is this thing finally coming out? The devs were on radio silence forever

They just gave an update the other day
it didnt amount to more than "were sorry for the delay lol, beta in august"

twitter.com/DUALGEARGAME/status/1140627412478115842

The Evas are restrained by their masters. Within their true power and Adam and Lilith clones, they could outclass Jehuty in 5 seconds. It's up to their writers, but given their lore, they're more than up to the task of dunking almost any mech.

The best compromise imo is settings where the standard mecha is humanoid (like gundam or ZoE), but you have custom or specialized units that play around with the frame.
Armored core is pretty good with this, but I've seen gundam go pretty out there in that regard too.
The variance in mecha silhouettes like the Dharma, Baund Doc, and Gells-Ghe

sweet, I hope it's optimized more than the demo was.
That whole combat system is one of the few ideal ways I see tactical turn-based gameplay working with action gameplay.
It was very reminiscent of Valkyria Chronicles but with more polish.

armored core mostly just changes weight classes and nothing much different in like looks right?

Well yeah, but you only see that for a moment in EoE, and Jehuty isn't LITERALLY godlike.
I absolutely love that someone can basically just make a regular tank in AC. PS2 era in particular, you can have a radar dish head, tank legs, a stubby torso, machine gun arms, and a grenade launcher on the back. And it's just as viable as a permaflight build.

AC is wildly varied. You can be blocky or sleek, light, medium, or heavy regular biped, quad leg, light or heavy reverse joint, or tank. The head can be a mono-eye, a visor, a radar dish, or more. The arms can be just two guns bolted on to the shoulders or small or thick real arms, with hundreds of different armaments ranging from energy weapons, swords, machine guns, shot guns, sniper rifles, missile launchers, flamethrowers, etc.
This isn't even getting into the internals like thrusters, firing control systems, generators, and radiators and how they all interplay.

Ok, I guess we'll die again before user sees this.

the only AC game ive played was the first one, and i never recalled that kind of customization avaliable desu

Most would say it's not vidya, but Muv Luv has mechs.

Where is my ArcSys mecha crossover game

If you have a PS2 or can fuck around with PCSX2, play the 3 generation, 3 > Silent Line > Nexus > Last Raven. Alternatively use PPSSPP and play AC3 portable, silent line portable, and Last Raven portable, worse graphics but identical otherwise. If you have a PS3 or 360, track down a copy of 4, For Answer, V, or Verdict Day. 4th gen has less variation but is the easiest to play.

Attached: 016868.jpg (1280x720, 596K)

Oh yeah, and you'll need a "hang workaround" for PPSSPP, it gets stuck sometimes.

Attached: roboflips.gif (320x240, 1014K)

Attached: Evangelion64.gif (460x340, 1.48M)

I live in Tokyo and there’s a VR park that you can visit in Shinjuku with a very fun evangelion game you can play. It’s exceedingly basic, but it’s greatly immerseive for what it is. Especially the part at the beginning when you’re sitting in the hangar and then the evangelion units get launched to surface level. Really fun.

mecha sucks desu. It's all twirly ballerina 2fast4u shit, western slow and shooty mechs are better.

Attached: double kick.gif (320x240, 1.47M)

I think slow mechs are boring as fuck. I just about fell asleep in pacific rim. Who wants to watch something that’s basically just permanently in slow motion.

And why would anyone actually want to use a slow mech over a tank

Attached: Shinji-Asuka-N64.gif (320x240, 1.03M)

What are you talking about, the best mech series is making a comeback this year.

Attached: NewSakuraWars-1.jpg (808x1000, 193K)

which armored core would you recommend best?