What happened to weird/edgy vidya and console commercials? Its all so boring and safe

what happened to weird/edgy vidya and console commercials? Its all so boring and safe
I want them back

Attached: PS3-Baby-Commercial-Screencap-e1321992995967.jpg (480x276, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s8cG3AZjaD8
youtube.com/watch?v=YWmbUMStlGI
youtube.com/watch?v=jeOWGnI0tmM
youtube.com/watch?v=nqrplZfkcIc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"Wah this commercial upsets me! I demand it get removed!" -Twitter

Outrage culture

I still don't understand what the point of this commercial was supposed to be.

Women. Otherwise known under an alternate alias as

this is the most retarded shit
angry people on twitter have close to 0 impact on sales but everyone bends over for them because muh 5 minutes of bad PR

you do notice that you're on the internet, right? where you're, on average, less than one click away from shit so fucked up it is barely possible to imagine?

They made those commercials to stand out. Corporate produced PG-13 "cuhrazyness" cannot hold a candle to natural insanity.

It was just a moment in the PS3's time where their marketing dept thought that having weird commercials and adverts would bring more attention than more simple advertising

same went for the psp marketing too
youtube.com/watch?v=s8cG3AZjaD8

Attached: ps3 ad.jpg (367x137, 6K)

Contrary to your file name, that was a PS1 ad.

youtube.com/watch?v=YWmbUMStlGI

ah, shit. i just put in 'ps3 weird commercials' and that image came up

I really fucking liked these sega saturn commercials. The end is so nostalgic to me.
youtube.com/watch?v=jeOWGnI0tmM

Advertisers often make these esoteric/weird commercials when they want something to stand out. Or to appeal to the Teenage/Adult Swim crowd. It's stupid they thought the successor to the PS2 should do this, but that's their logic.

Or they're just bubble media idiots who think shocking content makes them edgy and unique.

the internet was just going mainstream and advertising was no longer penetrating any relevant market. Because everyone was taking control over every aspect of what they were exposed to, because they could. So they were desperate to stand out, go viral, etc. Make something to grab attention, that people would talk about, and go out of their way to see, and have it as an advertisement for their product.

This ultimately failed because it was obvious how desperate they were to grab attention, thus, how disingenuous they were being.

political correctness
ie: thought fascism

Traditional advertising was still working just fine. The problem is all these companies wanted to go beyond traditional profits. So they did desperate things for attention. And like you said, it turned people off and led to less profits.

But also, the internet had gone mainstream a decade before. I think you mean social media. Which has been nothing but trouble for companies, consumers and politics since.

That was a PS1 ad. "Land on your own moon". PS3 had weird ads but that shit started with PS1, strengthened by PS2 and culminated with PS3.

Attached: 1538555439643.jpg (480x359, 24K)

Was this the last good vidya ad?

youtube.com/watch?v=nqrplZfkcIc

Those commercials didn't get pulled because of any political reasons (for the most part), they got pulled because they were fucking shit. Gave absolutely 0 context as to what they were trying to advertise and were designed to just catch peoples attention.

>the internet
>mainstream
>in 1996

>PS3
>1996
Wut? The Ps3 came out in 2006, dude.

>claim the internet had gone mainstream a decade before the ps3 released

are ya havin mental troubles?

The internet had. I was in high school during this time and all the kids were using it. We had to use shitty Netscape, but we were using it. And by 2000, over 3/4 of households had the internet. The internet was mainstream long before the PS3 came out.

Attached: 1559681351636.webm (318x158, 2.08M)

kino
they really don't make em like they used to

the internet didn't go anything resembling mainstream until 2007 so I'm not sure what you're trying to blather about.
>b-but all da keeds!!
irrelevant if they're all off in their own spaces doing their own things.

I think growing up with games my whole life in general are why I enjoy weird art so much. Weird advertising aside, one of gaming's mascots is a plumber who gets big after eating mushrooms on a quest to defeat a giant turtle to paradoxically save other mushrooms who are also people.

Because everyone plays it safe. They think its edgy to wave the pride flag around and that its an amazing statement when in reality they wouldn't DARE go in the same room as one back in the 90's. They are all just a bunch of cowards.

I was using the internet at school in 1999. We had a home connection in 2001. It's been mainstream for awhile.

negro, you're confusing internet capability for mainstream. You're going off the figures that literally caused the dot-bomb and kept the internet from going mainstream for about a decade.

>no-internet until the 2000s fag detected
what's it like being poor and or young, youngpoorfag?

What figures? I'm just saying my technophobe mother who specifically waited until "after all computers die" in y2k to get one was all up in Internet shit in 2001. I barely know life without it and I'm in my 30s.

>the internet didn't go anything resembling mainstream until 2007
Fucking poor people in Africa had internet on their flip phones before 2007.

those edgy commercials were shit and just a sign of videogames getting shit too

>What figures?
ubiquity of internet access is what caused so many tech-startups to think they could be facebook ten years before facebook, and explode hilariously. the internet wasn't mainstream until there was serious money being made from it, and that didn't start until around 2007.

I don't know why you're trying to argue against documented historical fact that you're claiming to be old enough to have personally witnessed.

>the internet wasn't mainstream until there was serious money being made from it, and that didn't start until around 2007.
Companies were making more money from online sales than brick and mortar stores long before 2007. Not to mention Amazon and Ebay existing in the 1990s.

And you keep repeating that stupid 2007 date. The internet didn't become mainstream because the iphone and PS3 came out. Those devices had built in internet at launch (in 2007 and 20006 respectively) because the internet was already ubiquitous at that point.

YOU CAN FUCK YOU CAN FUCK YOU CAN FUCK A MAN'S ASS

-Google Stadia