What was it like growing up during the classic era of gaming? Stuff like this really interests me

What was it like growing up during the classic era of gaming? Stuff like this really interests me.

Attached: NES_Console_Large__55451.1430494890.jpg (750x750, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best
dragonball-city.nl/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Every game felt more than it actually was. I was young and played the NES everyday after school and we had a bunch of games cause the SNES was out and people were selling the NES like it had aids. played Hoops with my brothers as well as mario 3 and played a bunch of star tropics and ultima, goonies 2, ducktales, tmnt, as well as wizards and warriors

games felt fresh and fun and they felt endless.
I played Sonic , sonic 3 and link's awakening a lot but never beat them.
Then my cousin got a n64 with goldeneye and mario 64.

People had better perspective on it. There were still "gamers" who played a ton but everyone still knew it was a hobby and not an all encompassing lifestyle.

>no microtransactions
>rentals
>picking a game based on the artwork or magazines
>not having a backlog because parents wanted you to go outside and shit

swapping game cartridges with your bros was 50% the fun

arguing which trick to "turn them on" was another part of it

>die too many times
>game erases all your progress and you have to start all the way at the beginning
This is the reason why so few old games are worth revisiting

they still found tricks to squeeze money out of you. some games were literally impossible to beat without looking at a magazine guide.

Better days mate.....better days.

they were still basing game design around arcade machines at the time. Now with emulator and save states, the games seem fairly short.

Arcades was rigged to get quarters, but you sucking at a game is on you.

Went hand in hand with blockbuster, you used to play a lot more different games back then

I think probably the biggest difference was it seemed like there was a never ending supply if games you never fucking heard of. These days everything is tracked and analyzed and hyped. In the old days you didn't know what anything was, might randomly find a diamond in the rough, or be surprised by a sequel.

nah i mean stuff required to beat the game that was so fucking obscure that there was no way for you to know about it. i guess if you really felt like spending hours upon hours of trial and error on shit then you could figure things out, but most people just bought a guide.

The internet didn't exist at least not how it does now, so there was little to no console wars. People just played games. Everything was new, so people weren't jaded like they are now. Finally because gaming was a niche hobby, companies actually put out stuff people wanted to play.

>so there was little to no console wars
that's absolute bullshit

playgrounds were warzones with sega vs snes

Sure maybe wars over specific games, but not a whole lot of shit got flung over the consoles themselves. At least not where I lived.

One Christmas, my sister and I received an NES. It came with the combo cart of Super Mario Bros and Duck hunt. Somehow my 7 year old brain made me the only person in the family capable of plugging the thing into the back of the living room TV. Most of the family was fascinated with the idea of the Zapper peripheral, so it wasn't long before everyone was playing Duck Hunt.

In the coming days, the NES would be a reason to redecorate. The formal dining room lost it's table and chairs, and stole the Vic20 and it's color TV monitor from a nearby computer desk, so that it could be shared with the NES on an old table in what was the dining room previously. While the NES was newer, the Vic20 ironically had a lot more games available for pennies, so it probably still got played more. The later discovery of the joys of Blockbuster Video, let us rent many NES games to try, with the implied carrot that a good game might become a candidate for later purchase.

Some years later, I came home to the unusual sight of my mother sitting the the NES room, trying to clear the second level of Super Mario Bros 3. It was her way of making sure it didn't have satanic imagery like the church feared it might.

Eventually, we received an IBM compatible PC. Thus began the days of cheaply printed catalogs that could bring my all manner of shareware goodies. Commander Keen, and Crystal Caves, and Duke Nukem, and Corncob 3D. Loved Corncob 3D. I might have to go plays some now.

Fucking awful.

Games were all like $80 even for the shittiest games.

Lousy clones and licensed games everywhere.

Terrible game media and player presence.

Sure NES era has a lot of innovative games but it felt a lot more lively and affordable in the SNES/PS1 era.

sorry user but genesis vs SNES was all the rage back in the day

I beat most of the NES, SNES, and Genesis action/adventure/RPG library back in those days purely because of rentals as I was allowed to rent every weekend. I miss the gamble of renting a RPG two weekends in a row and hoping no asshole deleted or touched your save in the interim.

The worst part was the dementors

Attached: il_794xN.1464284205_cyeq.jpg (794x1020, 42K)

>he didn't get into arguments over the NES versus SMS
>he didn't join together with the above enemy to make fun of people still stuck with Ataris

In the late 80s early 90s there was little console warring going on in the area I lived. A handful of kids had genesis, a handful had snes, a few had both. We all just played games. Sorry if you lived in a place where you go shat on for console, but to be honest I think its more a meme then actual truth.

... At some point my parents saw me admiring a Sega Genesis at a store. Ended up receiving it randomly on a Christmas, along with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Didn't get many more games for it. The only game anyone really cared about on Sega that was better than SNES was that the Sega version of Mortal Kombat had blood. The fighting genera was not something I ever really cared about, so i just kinda envied the kids that could play Super Mario World on their SNES. It meant I spent more and more time on the PC with PC games.

>tfw idort
>playing both sides til the inevitable defeat of Sega

>When you keep swapping games with friends and sometimes your games outright gets stolen by someone.

Why are kids such crooks

Are you a novelist?

It was awesome when you were there and lived through it.
But you can't go back now and catch up, if you missed it you missed it. All that's left is nostalgia and memories now.
Games are clunky, controls are weird, graphics suck for the most part, difficulty is very high for most games, they don't have much to offer generally. It was awesome back then because we didn't knew any better, they were the pinnacle back then.
Also yeah, generally better days.
This. No mentally deranged faggots streaming for money, devs cared to create fun games and come up with original and new ideas.

That happened to me once, and My dad yelled at me and told me I conldn't lend games anymore.

I wish.

Amazing

90’s was peak

I was firmly in the Nintendo camp during the 8 bit era as aside from Phantasy Star and a slightly more faithful Double Dragon I never saw any SMS games that I thought were better than what the NES had. Thankfully the Genesis and SNES were more competitive with the SNES having the edge on adventure/RPGs and the Genesis towards action games. Never cared for most sports games so the Genesis having an edge on that didn't affect me.

Double dragon, contra , 1st zelda, mike tyson, nhl, And loads of shitty games

Rumors of better graphics coming. The future was bright and the present was comfy

>traded my legend of zelda for my classmate's TMNT tournament fighters
>was fun but missed playing zelda
>after a month we were to trade back
>he said it broke when he and his brother's were play fighting
>get pissed, especially since he still wants his game back
>wouldn't give me mine back since it was in the trash since his mother thought it was broken
>cried in class when the teacher demanded I give him back his game even though he still had mine
became pretty angry and hated him the rest of my life, everytime I seen him around the neighborhood I felt like I was punched in the gut. got my revenge though when I sent him to jail for having drugs in his house when we grew up

>was the only one in my circle of friends who could beat Tyson in Punch-Out!!
>felt like a king that day I showed them all the ending

I want to go back so bad.

SMS and NES were my first consoles. played tons of fun games the NES didn't have, like penguin land, space harrier, afterburner, alex kidd, double dragon

The only truly bad thing about gaming back then was that if you didn't have a friend who played it or bought a gaming magazine (really hard to come by in my town) then you never really knew if you were buying a good or bad game until you played it. Rentals were an option but you could only find games that had been out for like a year in my store.

In a word. Analog.
Very disconnected. Everything was word of mouth, you put up with trash games, and most games were actually finished. You had to know someone who knew someone to get actual release dates for non Mario/zelda games

Then
>Games were fun.
>Everyting was new.
>Devs made games.
>Multiplayer meant your friend sitting next to you.

Now
>Everyone's jaded.
>Every game is a clone of something already down 9000+ times before.
>Devs cram politics down your throat.
>Multiplayer means some stranger in Ukraine who does not speak your language and you have no idea what he's saying.

So Steam but physical?

>so there was little to no console wars
The first console war was from that era m8. The Genesis marketing campaign was absolutely brutal. Sega played up Nintendo like they were the edgy counterparts to goody two-shoes Nintendo and ran it hard with Sonic

Like said, playgrounds were a battleground. The console wars people have now are just wider in scope from the first ones

Attached: 9F9C808178D97A5066A5483FD50DBE75F746D758.jpg (981x650, 162K)

Super Mario Bros is literally a take on communism you mongoloid.

>Games were all like $80 even for the shittiest games.
It's funny how we think game prices are insane today but back then $80 games was perfectly normal even for shovelware

>got my revenge though when I sent him to jail for having drugs in his house when we grew up
tell us more user. did you really call the cops on him just because he stole your zelda game?

Thankfully game magazines were plentiful in my town. EGM, Gamepro, VG&CE, Game Players (before they went weird).

I used to have most of them saved still but I lost virtually all of them from having to move several times in the past decade and they were just too much of a royal pain in the ass to relocate. Water damage from a flooded basement ruined a lot of them too.

I assume you mean 8-16 bit era games? They were amazing. I wish systems like Genesis and Turbografx were even more popular. NES was pretty much the only 8 bit console of any relevance in the US and it practically invented gaming for an entire new generation since Atari and others pretty much killed it for awhile with their shit and adults of the time assumed gaming was a fad that would die. I don't really know what else more there is to say. These games often age far better than fifth gen and later but outdated 3D games. These games have the best pick up and play type of gameplay than anything you could possibly play. The philosophy that went into designing these games was often much purer than anything today and had a very arcadey type of mindset. So games were made to be challenging and people didn't bitch about it. They accepted it. Gaming actually changed a whole lot by the time of fifth gen. It got redefined and was the building of much of what we see today while the era of 16 bit and prior largely had a very different mindset attached to it from devs and the fans.

Basically though, so much of those 8-16 bit games will forever remain timeless classics and it is not debatable.

Super Mario 3 was $70 USD, which is $137 now.

I had the “SEGA Channel” as a kid, and that was possibly the best year or so of my 10yr old life.

Attached: 08300ECF-E1EF-4409-85C5-3990647AD944.png (800x735, 40K)

yeah but you could rent a game for $5 to make sure it didn't suck

Yea, for reference I was a lanky kid and felt frustrated when people made fun or took advantage of me. it happened a lot
>just past high school and hit on a girl online
>lives nearby and pick her up
>great date and happy ending
>bring her home and see her brother?cousin?
>it's my classmate from long ago
>still feel sick seeing him
>she introduces me to him
>he doesn't remember me at all
>their house is bad like mexican family in a 2bed house, but there's two mexican families
>see bunch of drugs in his room splayed about and money
>don't say anything and go along with everything as normal
>sex with girl is great, and she really puts out so don't want to do anything to ruin it
>see one day, when hanging out with classmate while waiting for her to get ready, my fucking copy of zelda in the closet with his collection of video games
>im fuming inside
>wait a few months and tell cousin-in-law who works for the police that this guy has shit ton of drugs
>works it out that the next time they hear gunshots during upcoming 4th of july they get in the house under the pretense that it came from them
>apparently they had 200k worth of pills, coke, and weed along with a few guns that had no serial
>he's still in jail

True but its subtle, and the audience, kids aren't going to get that.
Now FF7 Remake has blatant censorship and its intended audience, teens are going to understand that.

So how am I wrong in saying that politics were not crammed down your throat thirtyish years ago?

you crazy piece of shit

yea....I have a problem, and probably wouldn't have done it if I browsed reddit instead of Yea Forums

I remember I was with my brother and cousin at the local toy store and we each had gotten money to buy one game. There was a bargain bin of different games, my brother picked Rescue: The Embassy Mission and my cousin picked Blaster Master. She ended up with the better game and we played that a lot more, I could never get very far in Rescue.

I have a question related to OP's for 80s boomers.
Growing up with the NES, did any of you entertain the possibility of 3D video games?

Ecstatica was one of the first games on pc I bought on my own, so yes it was always there as a possibility.

You did nothing wrong.

in what way? marble madness felt 3D-ish and that shit red virtual boy had 3D...the one time I played a 3D VR game it was nothing but terrible blocks and didn't care at all about 3D

Thank you! had to break up with her though cause I felt if she stuck with me any longer she would find out someway that I snitched and don't need that beaner and his family hunting me down

Did you ever imagine video games would look like they did on N64 or Gamecube?

>classic
>snes
>classic

that's more like prehistoric, classic would be anything xbox/ps2

you had magazines, box art cover, watching your brother/cousin/friend play, and word of mouth. No let's plays, you youtube, no message boards, no DLC, no day 1 patches.

if it was glitched it shipped that way. If you could exploit it, you never had to worry about dev's patching it out.

BUT.... sometimes after a few months or a year later when the next batch of games hit the market they'd change something. Or when the "greatest hits" version came out something might change. Best example I can think of is Oot. there's like 5 different variants of that game based on what letter and number is stamped on the back of the cart. Mine is A2, A1 is the most vanilla. A2 just means I didnt get it at launch, I got mine in fall of 98. B1+ is where you get to the patched versions of the game. Like they changed the animations in the temple of time when u grab the sword, removed fire temple music, and changed mirror shield.

oh never, I was suprised! mainly for the n64, when the gamecube rolled around I was more into dreamcast and xbox cause they looked way more interesting to me

classic is 20-30yrs ago. I understand thats more than twice your age, but trust me.

Are you faggots seriously shilling the "mario is communist" angle? I really want this to just be shitposting.

Attached: mario reddit.png (525x616, 146K)

Fuck that degenerate. You did nothing wrong.

Would you believe me if I told you I was shit posting? Seriously who would ever admit to anything on Yea Forums? So you assume what ever you like, and I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

There were already primitive polygonal PC games in the late 80s so it wasn't much of a stretch to think that games will continue to go that route.
Unfortunately young me back in the late SNES/Genesis era didn't even think that polygonal games would nearly completely replace 2D sprite based games.

I wish I were old enough to have at least experienced the SNES. The NES would've been cool to have been around for too, but I really do feel like I missed out just a bit by being born too late for the SNES even though I did play a ton of those games as a kid through emulators anyway.

did you play descent?terminal velocity?

Thanks guys, true bros

Why are you trying to turn your friends on

I played on an Atari 800XL computer thru the mid 1980s. Only one person I knew had a Nintendo during that time. He had the set with ROB & Gyromite, and I think Duck Hunt. I don't even remember playing it. We still played my Atari together all the time, because I had a shitload of pirated games, thanks to my dad's friend running an Atari cracker BBS.

Nintendo exploded in popularity around '88-'89. I remember another friend rented an NES from the local VHS chain, along with Super Mario, Zelda, Contra, & Jackal and we played all night and all the next day. I was blown away. The games & graphics were better than the 8-bit PC stuff I was used to, and the controller was light years ahead of the shitty Atari stick. I asked my dad to rent one the next week with a few games. I got an NES for Christmas that year (1988). Almost everyone I knew owned one by 1990.

Attached: Mid 80s Atari battlestation.png (881x622, 979K)

>Super Mario is a take on communism
Uh, is this some sort of joke? Or is this some epic troll like the Grinch being in smash Bros?

No, saw them in magazines though. I didn't even get a computer until around 2000 and haven't been much of a PC gamer at all.

Who can say for sure.

awesome rig atari user. I got an 800XL recently, it's a blast.

>What was it like growing up during the classic era of gaming? Stuff like this really interests me.
what do you want to know about it? ama

Everything is different when you're a kid who's video collection (and the size of it) is at the mercy of your parent's checkbook. That's really the biggest difference. And that never changes.

That aside, when you discover or achiever something, YOU did it. You didn't watch a walkthrough. No one told you how. You didn't see it unveiled by a streamer. Your eyes saw that secret room opened up for the first time. You saw the text when the final boss was killed for the first time by yourself, alone in the dark, adrenaline pumping through your veins and that feeling of success as you're reward by the game's closing dialogue that you - again - had never seen or heard of before. They mystery, surprise, and feeling of achievement were amazing back then. Now, you pretty much know what's going to happen before you even buy the game. What's the point? This is why people just watch videos. There's no feeling of exploration, discovery, or adventure.

>People had better perspective on it. There were still "gamers" who played a ton but everyone still knew it was a hobby and not an all encompassing lifestyle.

I can't speak for video games in the 80's, but I remember there being a vague stigma about them in the late 90's and early 2000's. I dunno. My perception was that people gradually viewed gaming more as a hobby and less of a niche lifestyle thing as things moved into the mid-late 2000's, probably due to console-shooters and Wii party games widening the audience.

I do remember hearing from some older folks that (late 30's and early 40's) that gaming was far more "casual" in the 80's, in the sense that it didn't immediately hit the market with branding aimed at little boys.

God, I miss this. Couch co-op, watching friends play a game while taking turns with them, swapping cheat codes and tips of dubious reliability during recess, etc. I'm sure there's kids that feel nostalgic about growing up with online multiplayer experiences, but I'm glad I got to grow up during the time when you had to drag your ass out of your bedroom to visit someone face-to-face if you wanted to play video games with them. I probably wouldn't have most of my friends if that wasn't the case.

you missed out on so many good things. did you have friends or class mates with computers?

zoom zoom
you're supposed to do it without using a continue

I remember the first console-war stuff I heard was Mortal Kombat and how one console had blood spray, and the other didn't. 'Blood Kode'. Stuff like that. That was early 90s. It's been all down hill since then.

Magical. It ended with Ps2.

>Magical. It ended with N64.

I'll never experience the melancholy feeling of getting the bad end in BoF2 and later discovering there was a completely different ending by myself again.
or that content feeling watching FFVI's credits for the first time (and wondering why it left a space for Shadow as I didn't know to wait for him the first time).
I can't even remember how I felt after finishing FFVII for the first time. Guess it didn't leave that much of an impression on me.

I called the cops on a kid that stole my game boy. Drugs, too. He was black, of course. No regrets.

'95-01 PC gaming was the golden age of gaming.

Attached: 1560608157071.jpg (780x598, 158K)

Instead of PC elitists we had arcade elitists. Everyone made fun of you if you had Sega instead of Nintendo. A game that was too easy was seen as garbage.

I remember watching Aeris die and thinking "N-no way. This is just a gimmick. They wouldn't kill off a MAIN CHARACTER after I spent all that time leveling her. And what about the materia she had on her? No, I'm sure she'll be back later." 20 hours later, she never came back. Man I couldn't believe it. That they actually killed a main character. That NEVER happened.

I remember crying like a bitch through half of FFVIII. When you don't know what's going to happen, everything has such a huge impact on your emotions.

Nobody had Nintendo after NES here. Only one faggot bought WII. PC and Playstation dominated market. Here Mario Karts is ripoff of Crash Team Racing.

babby's first J(press X to win)G

I actually had that and Vincent spoiled months before the English version released due to being a frequent poster in EGM's livechat room on their webpage. Still depressed me when I saw it happen in game though. Then the game ruined it by having Cloud snowboarding less than 20 minutes later.

Also I played Phantasy Star II and IV so I had experience with the 'cute main girl gets killed because hahahaFUCKYOU' plot twist by that point.

>yea....I have a problem, and probably wouldn't have done it if I browsed reddit instead of Yea Forums

ha ha, no worries bro, normies can't handle the heat of us BASED 4channelers.

Attached: cute-green-frog-character-winking-eps-vector_csp18422347.jpg (346x470, 32K)

It was fun to grow up with gaming, it felt like the technology grew up with me. Now everything is mainstream and feels like a slimy movie instead of games.

No one believes your first RPG was made before 2010. Adults don't make comments like that. Put more effort into your larping.

Doesn't get better than couch co-op with your best friend or siblings in River City Ransom, Double Dragon 2, and Guerrilla War.

Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers and throwing your friend down a chasm

Shit yeah, I forgot about Chip n Dale. There were so many good co-op games.

based

Attached: 1449164858330.png (360x253, 15K)

Great

if it werent for funcoland i would only have 2 new games per year. the sad part is that as an adult i needed to rebuy all my old games when i felt like having my collection back.

i primarily played on gameboy, and i can say NO BACKLIGHT SUCKED, IT ALWAYS SUCKED EVEN IN 1995 AND THE GBA NOT HAVING IT FELT LIKE THEY LEGITIMATELY FUCKED UP. like they broke an unspoken promise.

gaming was a minefield back then. i had to come up with categories to keep from having any shitty games

category 1; nintendo mainline. mario bros, wario land, zelda, donkey kong, megaman (i didnt know any better back then that it was 3rd party), pokemon, kirby. kirby was low key a fucking baller for the GB era. category 1 were the safe bets, and typically were the most expensive games, especially secondhand, which a lot of my games were outside christmas and birthday.

category 2; nintendo spinoff. yoshis cookie, mario golf, kirby pinball land, pokemon tcg. not terrible, but not high priority.

category 3; not nintendo. battletoads, earthworm jim, pac man, bubsy. risky category, rely on word of mouth, or try and rent instead. local video rental stores usually had GB, nes, and genesis games.

category 4; trash. robocop, darkwing duck, rugrats, mary-kate and ashley. some gems in here, but it wasnt worth the risk. very dangerous category, rent ONLY.

these days we have all the games in the world, but humans are social creatures and cant stay in the fringe or the past. we have to keep up with whats popular even if we arent adjusted to it. i know im not adjusted to stream-snipe microtransaction always-online subscription exotic emote premium edition culture. and kids cant simply ignore it and play the cherrypicked best games of all time. thats not how humans work. so even if theyre physically not stuck with fortnite and roblox theyre functionally stuck with them. oh and some old games suck dick nowadays. feature creep and tech advancement is a real thing, so some of it is nostalgia.

go to Arcade instead of walking to school
The rest of the machines are being hogged by older high schoolers
Smell of cigarettes everywhere
Only machine available is Xenophobe
Its fucking hard as balls and full of bullshit traps
go to store next door
Video game crash Buy a dozen atari games brand new for quarters
Some guy in the Arcade is selling drugs with some hippy chick
He puts his drugs on a table showing everyone shrooms, pills
go home and play my new copy of Enduro and Star Wars for the Atari

On the one hand gaming felt magical because you were a kid so you relied on your parents to buy you new games/systems so whatever you had an opportunity to play felt like a blessing. On the other hand you were completely at the mercy of fate because of this so sometimes you get games designed to actually be fair like SMB and other times you get games like TMNT which, albeit fun, had some absolute bullshit in it like that infamous dam level.

Of course since you were little and didn't have that 1337 gaming repertoire it all felt one and the same to you. I would play Mystic Quest and literally just roam maps and mash A whenever I got into a random battle because I had NO clue wtf I was doing.

Games were short and very hard, you rarely beat them. if you did it was serious bragging right.

Because there was no internet there was a much bigger mystery to whatever games you did play.

Once again I'll never understand the problem people had with TMNT's dam level or really any part of the game. I had that completed within the first weekend of renting it back when it came out.

It was a time of enlightenment and wonders, since there was no internet, learning about different titles was only though magazines and tv ads or word of mouth

>September 1989
>7 years old grade 2
>Only know about a handful of games, specifically the ones my parents buy me
>Mostly DOS games that dad had to spend up to 20 minutes trying to get shit to run, only had super mario land on gameboy, didn't even know you could take the cartridge out of the back
>First day of school, a kid comes up to me and asks if I like games
>Have 0 idea other games exist but I tell him yes
>he shows me his brand new Nintendo Power with Duck Tales art (iirc) on the cover
>Flip through the pages
>no idea what I'm looking at until I stop on Mega Man 2 after flipping through for awhile
>Have a moment of clarity learning that other games exist
>He asks me if I want to come over after school to play The Legend of Zelda because he just got it
>Go to his house, find out he has like 4 games for his NES, something I'd never laid eyes on before
>Sit and play with him, mostly watching, for the next 4 hours until my mother comes and picks me up
>That night go home and constantly dream and think about all the different games I've missed out on
>That kid would go on to be my best bro
>Would receive a new game of my choice during my birthday and christmas for the next few years

>fast forward into middle school
>obtain my own subscription to Nintendo Power
>best bro and I feel like gurus in the gaming scene, by this point we've played more than a dozen games each
>other kids would come up to us during recess and lunch, including some kids I've never met before and sort of made friends/acquaintances, went to a few birthday parties as a result
>Best bro and I would sit in a group with at least a minimum of 10 kids at the edge of the treeline of the playground on some rocks and just shoot the shit about all the new games coming out
>This continues almost daily until high school

cont

Attached: Zelda.jpg (1600x800, 156K)

>High school 1998
>Had an N64 at this point (sold my NES and games for it), had Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Star Fox 64
>I was in love with this console and the games I had, but I always wanted Ocarina of time
>One day best bro comes to school with a sealed copy of Ocarina of Time he just picked up with his birthday money from Toys R' Us
>Fangirl over the box, I remember holding it by the sides because I didn't want to smear the saran wrap around it's beautiful golden colour
>Best bro asks if I would like to come play it after school
>Oblige him and head to his house
>Walking to the front door
>Best bro asks me "user, I'm going on a roadtrip tomorrow for a few weeks, would you like to borrow the game after you leave today?"
>Accept his offer
>He tells me to be careful with it because he had to sell his copy of Super Mario 64 to afford it and he loved that game
>Spend the rest of the day all the way up to midnight playing with him, taking turns when we died
>Before he gives it to me he writes his name on the back of the cartridge in black sharpie

cont.

>Fast forward a few weeks, play it every day but still haven't beaten it
>Guarding his game with my life, would keep it in my backpack during school hours so I always knew where it was
>Sitting in class waiting for it to start, best bro was supposed to be back on this monday- haven't heard from him for a few weeks
>Teacher comes in and asks everyone to sit down
>"I know some of you know best bro, and there is no easy way for me to say this but he passed away with his family in a car crash coming home late last week"
>In that moment it felt like my heart turned inside out
>Denial
>Denial
>Denial
>Never even said goodbye, just "I'll see you when you get back"
>Ask the teacher to see the nurse, tell her I don't feel good
>See nurse, he sends me home after I tell him the news, writes 'grieving' on the purple slip
>Shamble home in tears trying to hide my face from passing pedestrians
>Get home and go to my room, sit on my bed and pull out his cartridge
>See his name poorly scribbled on the back
>Wept for the next few hours holding the game
>Finally stop crying and put the game into the console
>Spend the next 12 hours beating the game because he never got to
>Around midnight, I finally jam the master sword into Ganon's skull
>Remember the days I'd spend at his house playing the first Zelda game
>Remember him

22 years later and I still have his game locked away in a memories box in my attic. I will never sell it or lose it because he told me not to. It was because of him I learned about other games and fell in love with games. I really miss you Zack.

>let friend borrow games and borrow some of his
>he doesn't give them back
>years later still have the games and they are worth more than the games I had before

Attached: Who_810eba_6255369.jpg (500x303, 40K)

I'm sorry about your loss, user. He's with you with every vidya you play.

Actual boomer that still owns his original SNES here. By pure chance I was gifted a SNES w/ LttP included by my older brother. While I had played NES and even Atari games prior to that, that SNES felt like the first console that was truly "mine" and goddamn did it feel good.

godspeed user, keep the memories always.

>mom passed away from cancer 6 years ago, still have her saved games on my SNES and Gameboy Zeldas I'll never delete ever.

Go to bed, Cloud

Attached: sad pepe rain 1.gif (696x478, 799K)

It blows my mind when people talk about games as if it's a hobby that inherently isolates people, given experiences like this. Thanks for sharing, user. It sounds like he enjoyed knowing you.

Damn, sorry for your loss man.

>1990s
>made friends specifically to play their vidya as my family was too thrifty to buy me consoles of my own

>2000s
>have enough money to afford my own consoles and stop having friends or social interactions as I no longer had anything to gain

Attached: dab death.gif (416x307, 2.58M)

It was a golden time
Rentals, gaming mags and guides, game trading, rumors that caught on like wildfire and games that fucking mattered.
When you finally got a game that was $50-60 that better entertain you till the next holiday or birthday. Now there's less ways to rent or demo a game, free to play has replaced shareware, and sales have cheapen the value of games

Attached: 60502074_385506815397659_7543969308321434919_n.jpg (1080x1080, 190K)

Expensive as fuck. I had as early as a SNES and I need to apologize to my mother again for asking for an N64. Nintendo were even more greedy then than they are now.

I wised up and got a PS1 later on and games were much cheaper.

That's also a "lit" (Zoomer alert) weekend in the 2000s.
Everything changed with smartphones.

>remember getting the E3 issue of Nintendo Power with the piece about Pokemon Yellow
>got a specially stamped E3 Pikachu with it
I wish I weren't so stupid as a kid. I got rid of most of that kind of stuff.

Attached: 1356095998393.gif (245x188, 490K)

Pretty sure Crystal Pepsi was off the market well before the N64 launched.

and it fucking pig disgusting jesus christ

This, games were generally quite difficult, and despite being substantially shorter you didn't beat them that often. People were still very connected to the outside world, so in that sense they were kind of similar to arcades - you went outside and hung out, then decided to play some games for a while, get your ass kicked, and move along. It's not like now where you're pretty much guaranteed to finish it in a playthrough, that happened more during the SNES (although even games like Mystical Ninja or Star Fox were still fairly challenging).

I didn't mind it, it was just surreal. It looked like Sprte or sparkling water, but smelled and tasted like Pepsi.

Do you still go to raves?
Do you think that Christ saves?
Do you spend your days in a Purple Haze?
Do you contemplate what a grape nut is?
Or could you live drinkin' your own whiz?
Are you hooked on a feeling are you hooked on gin-n-tonics?
Are you hooked on fistin are you hooked on phonics?
Did you ever have sex with a box of Kleenex?
Did you like the movie Malcolm X?
Or do you own a record by Stryper?
Do you have a Mongoloid cousin wearin' diapers?
Were you born and raised in New Jersey?
Did you like the taste of Crystal Pepsi?

or it was badass VS modes
>NBA Jam
>Tecmo Bowl
>Street Fighter 2
>Mortal Kombat
>Daytona
>Virtua Fighter

As a kid, I didn't realize how bad it really was, but I liked it and swimming around was kinda fun.

Attached: 1547983184108.jpg (610x409, 120K)

barkley shut up and jam

He's fucking stole link to the past. He deserved it.

>using Leo instead of Mikey the sacrificial lambturtle.

nearly every game was controller-smashingly difficult

>you want the best armor in the game that heals you when you walk?
>okay so there's a deserted village go find it
>you did? great! now walk around the entire village fighting enemies that can kill you in 3 hits
>oh yeah there's a guy that tells you its in the village. Not the exact location just that it's there.
>Also you're not really trying to find the armor, you're trying to find the secret boss that guards it.
>You beat the boss? Great! Now checking the ground everywhere which in no way even hints that something is there.
>Now you have Erdricks armor! All those hours wasted must have been worth it huh?
>Too bad! You still need to waste more time at this point to grind for the final boss!

Dragon Quest

but leo gave you more luck

Thats very enjoyable to read user, thank you

He already sacrifices mikey to the seaweed gods.

bury my shell at wounded knee

NPC tells you it's buried near one of the item shops.

Middle aged guy here. I'll try to address this subject as best as possible.

Here are some big differences that I can remember compared to now:

1. Rental was incredibly common. People rented more games than they bought.
2. Most people did not beat games. You might beat Mario or maybe Zelda and maybe Mega Man or a few other easy games, but you never beat the majority of the games you bought. Even the kids that were known as being "pretty good at Nintendo games" would only beat half or less of their games as a general rule.
3. This guy: is 100% right. No "gamers" back then. Gaming was much more mainstream due to arcades being LITERALLY EVERYWHERE. The association between gaming and "nerds" didn't really come along until the 90s and especially when the PlayStation came out and in particular Final Fantasy VII. I had never even HEARD OF "weebs" (we called them "Japanophiles" back then) before FF7. Then suddenly they were EVERYWHERE. That game singlehandedly got nerds into console gaming. Before that they usually weren't into video games and the few that were played on PC (usually graphical adventure games for some reason).
4. Hardware issues is one of the things that people have forgotten about. Your NES could overheat if you played it for like 4 hours straight. Game shops started offering console repair specifically because of the NES (though some people used it to get their Atari 2600s working, because those things were ALWAYS broken when you bought one at a garage sale).
5. #1 way you found out about new games was almost always from going into an arcade and seeing a brand new game you had never even heard of before and getting to play it immediately (this is literally the thing I miss most from then -- imagine if every single E3 reveal trailer instantly was playable after you watched the trailer), or going into a rental place and seeing a new game on the shelf and getting to rent it immediately (also awesome), or Nintendo Power.

cont.

Did you guys ever have to deal with save batteries malfunctioning for games like Zelda or Dragon Quest?

that's the NES you dumbfuck

Is that an actual pic of your desk from the 80's?

>I had never even HEARD OF "weebs" (we called them "Japanophiles" back then)
Woo man Japanophiles. Now that's a blast from the past

People don't even remember what the word "weeb" even comes from anymore

No. But me and a friend used to rent a snes and sim city each weekend and play all friday and saturday, all week we planned out cities we would build in drawings and hope that the save file would still be there but it was always deleted.

36yo oldfag here.

The thing i remember enjoying the most back in the Nes and Arcades days was talking to my buddies about whatever new i discovered in a game, no internet and the 2-3 months delay in the info you could find in a magazine was truly a great time, i remember when we were all playing Zelda at the same time and we talked about in on recess, what we did to get certain item or where to find a heart or a dungeon, that was a great experience.

Also back then there were only a handfull of games a year so we all played pretty much the same games, not to mention on Christmas holydays when we returned to school we all traded and borrowed each other's games that we got as presents and we have finished already,

About Arcades it was great only because of the atmosphere inside, waiting in line until other kids finished either the game or their coins, i particularly remember this with both TMNT games, and The Simpsons... but what took the cake easily was when SF2 came out, i was a little older so it was a different expereience because noe of my middle school friends played videogames so i was going on my own to play some matches, from SF2 all the way to SF Alpha 2 i was an avid Arcade player and ddit play anything else on my Super Nes than Sf2 Turbo and SSF2 besides the obvious Mario World and Zelda.

After that i took a break from vidya but my brother got a PS1, PS2, N64 and Gamecube and i mostly watched him play Zelda OOT, Final Fantasies, Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, and Resident Evils, we played together and had great memories of that, playing until late at night trying to figure out what to do next,

Great tiemes

Attached: 1559141083575.jpg (1080x1920, 834K)

that usually didnt happen til like 10 years after the fact

I played NES games all day during the weekends back then I never had my console overheat or heard anything of the sort ever. The biggest cause of NES malfunctions was the contacts getting dirty and the pins getting bent due to the shitty way the US console was designed (but we didn't know about the bent contacts problem back then and kept buying 3rd party cleaning kits).

>we called them "Japanophiles" back then
wew I remember talking about Japanimation

I only ever had one NES battery outright fail and that was my Shadowgate cartridge. I had my original LoZ cartridge keep saves from 1989 up until the mid 2000s (until most of my NES games were stolen).

We were fucking poor so the console wars weren't a thing where I'm from. The parents would get together and decide who got what and we'd just go to one another's houses to play different games. We mostly played sports. I got a Genesis, which was pretty cool, but my granny got me a SNES so I was big ballin'. Then my mom finished graduate school and my dad could go work off shore and we became middle class.

They still got a stigma, but less than before. Apart from that I 100% agree with your post.

Im 31
>arcades were a big deal.
>Places like pizza joints with arcade machines they didnt reset everyday were big draws, because that meant peoples High Scores would stay up for months
>Maybe it was nostalgia, but the music hit better.
>People's attractiveness did not scale with their game skill. Even a chad or stacy was commited to 1 or 2 arcade cabinets
>Even hardcore gamers could not predict what gaming is today.
>Everyone played Raiden at least once
>Neo Geo was expensive, and most people lied about even touching one
>The war between Nintedo and Sega was a close one. Sega wouldve won if it wasnt for the N64
>Games got stuck in your head like music does. Tetris binges would fuck you up for a few nights due to the game imprinting on you.

My pokemon silver battery died. Abusing the duplication glitch probably didn't help.

Given that it's more or less related to the thread's topic, I figured I'd throw out a recommendation for Retronauts. It covers a lot of ground when it comes to reflecting on retro games and the development of the industry as a whole. A specific recommendation I'd give would be the episode on gaming advertisements over the decades, since I think that gives an interesting window into the way perceptions and marketing for games changed.

Attached: Retronauts_flat.png (3000x2277, 194K)

6. Less sequels back then. Look at the NES library. It's almost all original IPs. Almost 100% of the sequels on the system are sequels to games that originated during that generation. Imagine if the industry threw out all the IPs from each generation and started fresh with each new system. That's basically what it was like back then and I think that's the #1 reason why that era had such a massive impact on people. Because there was SO FUCKING MUCH original content. It was just new franchise after new franchise after new franchise. There's never been a system in history that focused so much on new content.
7. Gossip was extremely important because there was no internet, or at least no one had access to what internet there technically was. You either learned cheats or solutions to shit in games by reading Nintendo Power or by hearing about it from a friend. There were A LOT of bullshit rumors as well, especially about fighting games.
8. Arcades were literally the best thing ever. No exaggeration, they were the peak of gaming experience. But you had to be there, because going to an arcade now is not the same. They were PACKED then. Now they're ghost towns and half the people in them are hipsters. Back then they were hangouts and every dude you knew in school went there on Friday and there'd be a regular group around any of the big machines during the evenings. In the 90s though they got taken over by gangs and kids couldn't go to them anymore because they were dangerous. Their peak though was the early 80s, which 99% of Yea Forums is too young to remember. Back then half the people in arcades were adults. Guys with actual fucking girlfriends. Normal fucking people. Women would be there in way bigger numbers than you'd ever see hanging around video games now. Absolutely the most incredible public social environments I have ever seen and it is an absolute shame that that experience has been lost for younger generations.

cont.

>still prefer reading articles than watching podcasts

I hate how certain retro websites are moving to podcasts.

Things were only getting better, from Mortal Kombat on games weren't as fun, and wanted to be edgier and edgier, especially from PS1-3, then it was 2009 and everyone was out of ideas, desperate for money and were aping the Wii and then free to play and dlc got out of hand and now ya got fortnite and streamers. The shit looks pretty now, but who cares?

The first console I owned for myself was a SNES I got for my 8th birthday. I still have the system, dont have the games. Unemployment is a bitch.

It was fun times. You really made your games last because you only got new ones a few times a year or with your allowance or whatever. I got one or two games on Christmas and birthdays. A bad game could really fuck shit up.

I remember I saw this "special report" about SNES piracy where they had this device that you plugged into your SNES and you put a floppy disk in that, which had the ROM on it. I thought that was cool as fuck and always wanted one. I guess the Everdrive and SD2SNES are the final evolutions of that.

I miss my games.

I miss when adulthood was something to look forward instead of a series of excuses not to kill myself.

Smash that bell.

>Less sequels back then.
I disagree with this. A game came out we always expected a sequel. And it usually always came. I waited years for Simon the Sorcerer 3.

I didn't actually think much of it back then, but looking back on it the great majority of early SNES games were just sequels to previous games with "SUPER" slapped onto the name. Companies started playing it safe even way back then, but it didn't become so prevalent until the PS3/360 era.

>that kid who borrowed your game then moved away

Fuck you Jeremy.

I think they've also got a website where they occasionally post articles, though the podcast is their primary project.

Can we get an opinion from someone who was an adult at the time and not looking back at nostalgia.

>bought a guide
Half the companies had toll-call tip lines set up for people who got stuck, advertised right in the manuals.
You're underselling the level of scam that was going on back then.

>okay user, you can pick one game, one snack, and one drink

What are you getting, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1560127773115.jpg (580x393, 79K)

Yes, taken sometime before Christmas '88, because I had the NES hooked up there after that. The monitor was a Commodore with a hand-written "Atari" sticker over the logo.

Requiescat in pace. That was a good read and that made me nostalgic too.

>Commodore
did you have Sex Games

So do you speed read or what?

>not "hurry up and get your game and don't take longer than 5 minutes or I'm leaving you here"

ninja turtles for gameboy, cheese popcorn, crystal pepsi

9. Sonic the Hedgehog was normal. And was played by normal people. It was SUPER FUCKING POPULAR, too. The phrase "furries" didn't exist then. They were called "furverts" back then. Believe it or not, "furries" was the "politically correct" term that furverts gave themselves because they were butthurt that we were calling them "furverts". I still call them "furverts" because it's more accurate. That term needs to make a comeback. Seriously, the rise of furverts is a crime. Those "people" are sick. It's disgusting how they've been able to subvert gaming and poison society in general. They literally want to have sex with animals and somehow we just act like this is a normal thing and don't do anything about it. Plus they ruined Sonic the Hedgehog and werewolf fiction forever and those are both unforgivable crimes and justifications for launching their faggot asses into space.
10. High scores. I will never stop finding it weird that there are no "points" in video games anymore. Most people now don't even notice their absence. Or even think about the fact that they used to be in any game that wasn't an RPG or adventure game or simulation.

>I remember there being a vague stigma about them in the late 90's and early 2000's

There was. Not in the 80s, but it definitely started in the 90s. It began in the early 90s with Mortal Kombat attracting negative press and other games from that time being so blatantly marketed to immature middle school kids (think of the "XTREME!" marketing that Sega popularized). Then in the late 90s it got MUCH worse when Sony and the rest of the industry began making nerds and "gamers" the main audience of gaming instead of marketing to the mainstream and trying to sell games to the public in general, like in the 80s, instead of specific "demographics". Then Microsoft came along and made it the norm to market console games to braindead white trash 12 year olds.

I'm going to start using "furverts" now.

Reread the post you're replying to.

Rocket Knight, gummi bears, root beer

I know but most people here was born in the 90s

Agreed. 4th gen was when sequel-itis became a problem and it just got worse and worse with each generation. In the 7th gen and 8th gen sequels have become the rule.

Keep in mind that some of my favorite games are sequels. I'm just making an observation.

My "friend" took off with my Pokemon Red. If I ever come across him ever again I'll cut his balls off and make him eat them.

>furverts

This is the greatest thing I've ever read. Agreed with this guy: I'm calling them "furverts" from now on.

Test

Nintendo vs. Sega nonsense was not as extreme as youtube celebrities have lead you to believe it was.

>furvets
Definitely remembering this one, thanks user

Attached: 1560816519997.png (248x265, 77K)

Painful.

Possibly the best post in the thread.

>Gen 3 kids
Try growing up with an Atari 2600, they were shit compared to Nintendo/Sega.
The internet ruined gaming.
Based
Emulators arn't too bad, but save states just helped the retarded that wouldn't be able to beat a game otherwise.
$80? not that I remember.
Some shareware and freeware knockoffs were decent.
Still not a valid reason to snitch.
Based.
You're a punk ass rat.
We had censorship thanks to idiot housewives with nothing better to do.
He narced, thats a bitch move just for a video game.
You should of felt guilty you piece of shit, for ratting and being a race traitor.
Drug dealers are bad, but so is narcing.
LOL Atari wares.
Well put.
You should of just told jamal to give it back.
Shrooms would of made the games so much better.
Sad story.
weeb.
Nope, but I hate them on Yea Forums every day.

There's something almost quaint about people still being mad about furries.

Attached: 1318311719830.png (203x219, 3K)

>What was it like growing up during the classic era of gaming? Stuff like this really interests me.

Almost every games was worth trying. I was a lot more open to trying different games, unlike now where I'm stuck in my prefered, IP and genres. but it was also that way because games had a much lower scale of time investment, you can finish up a game in 2 hours if it wasn't crazy hard and then you replay it again the next day.

I can credit the NES to two major developments in gaming. One is games beginning to have a strong narrative (Like Ninja Gaiden), and also that games are starting to sound really cool, with catchy and memorable BGM.

>Drug dealers are bad, but so is narcing.

Attached: kill yourself (2).gif (200x267, 26K)

There's something disgusting that they aren't still being persecuted. Letting them think they are welcome anywhere ruins communities.

interesting story user, thanks for sharing

This begs the question, what is it like growing up with gaming right now? Fortnite and Minecraft are literally the life of kids these days. They would probably kill themselves if you took that away from them.

It was comfy af. There was no internet or at least very few people had it. You subsided on game informer, gamespy, etc for your game news and every issue was like a fucking Christmas gift. I remember being autistic as fuck with a tiny little article that claimed the next gta would be in Las Vegas, imagining he cool that would be. I would be super excited when the book mobile would come to school because it meant I could buy a cheat book. For big games, they didn’t all have the same cheats, so I would keep a nice little red binder with my hand written cheat codes in as neat a writing as I possibly could. Couch co op was kino because the banter was right there, and it was kino as all hell going to Kyle’s house, getting a look at his hot older sister you’d squeeze it for later, in his cramped basement with his big tv. *sip*

user don't you mean

fursecuted

Attached: 1313558011455.png (392x293, 48K)

Fox Maid Marian will never not make my dick hard sorry bro. I dont want to fuck real animals though.

Also the OGbox was great. 480p output (that scales beautifully to 4k modern sets) and best controller vs its PS2 and Gamecube contemporaries.

Attached: 1538257011498.gif (500x720, 1.91M)

Can you guys recall what games you got as your christmas gift? preferably games you actually liked.

I specifically remember Megaman 3, Super Mario World, DKC2, Killer Instinct Gold, and DKRacing+Bomberman 64 over the years.

>10. High scores.
I was playing a Mario 3 hack recently and this kept tripping me up. I'd see 1000 points for grabbing an item, and there were two parts of me that had two different reactions. The part of me that's grown used to modern gaming says "why? why bother?" because it's not like the points mean anything, they don't even go into a high score list or anything. And the other part of me, the part that remembers being a kid growing up on the NES and later SNES, says "points! fuckin grab 'em!"

And you can bet I kept fucking grabbing them, for no reason at all other than shits 'n giggles.

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug. I remember my family was moving, and we had a going-away party, and we rented a second NES and a bunch of games just so a horde of school friends could all play on two TVs side-by-side. I remember the shitty NES Indiana Jones game being a big hit for god only knows what reason. Invited practically the whole class because it wasn't the '90s yet and nobody ostracized "video game nerds" just yet, even the popular girl I played with at recess every day was there, and it wasn't weird or anything.

Now everyone's gone away and the only "friends" I have are online. Take me back, bros.

Attached: mario_sad-640x353.jpg (640x353, 30K)

Twizzlers, wwe no mercy, NO DRINK

Kids are probably doing the same thing kids have always done: have fun with the toys they have around them.

I think the only thing that sucks about kids growing up with online play is the same thing that sucks about the internet in general. Kids are growing up socialized with walls between them and the people they're engaging with, making it easier to get accustomed to low-consequence social interactions. I'm not one of those "bullying teaches kids to know their place" sort of idiots, but I'm concerned what it's doing to people's empathy.

From what I've read bullying is even worse now since there's virtually no escape even when the bullied kid's at home due to social media.
Glad I was out of school before the internet hit mainstream.

You wake up at 6 am to play SMB prior to going into elementary school.

Your dad kicks you outside during the summer and proceeds to play Castlevania.

In 1995 (I was 5), I received a Super Nintendo for christmas bundled with Mortal Kombat 3, Super Mario Kart, and Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

-rented games from the video store
-was rarely allowed to actually buy new games
-the manual of each game had a hotline you could call for cheats/guides. That's how I got the Mortal Kombat 3 cheats which unlocks Motaro and Smoke, etc and slow-mo mode and hyper jumping which was fantastic.
-Also used the hotline to find out DK coin locations.
-Asides from Mario Kart, I NEVER actually owned a single other Mario game.
-Eventually caught up on all the games I missed like Secret of Mana etc by using an emulator on the PC. I had access to endless games at that point. It was amazing.
-Battle Toads Double Dragon was probably the best co-op Super NES game I ever rented.Lost Vikings was great too.
-had to blow into cartridges sometimes. Not sure how that started.

It was a great time. Games loaded super quick and the controller was flawless.

I skipped the N64/PSX phase and mainly played PC during that time. MechWarrior 2 and Freespace 2. Loderunner. Super NES emulator.

Eventually got an Xbox for christmas around the time of release. Came bundled with Halo, JET SET RADIO FUTUUUUUUUURE, and Motor GP or whatever it was called. Never really liked car racing sims until I tried Burnout 3.

Attached: 1376889847056.gif (500x375, 495K)

>sonic the hedgehog - 1991
>original FurryMUCK - 1990
Nice fiction, user.

Good for you. Fuck property destroyers and fuck druggies.

your mom played vidya with you? That's unfathomable to me cuz my mom and most other moms i've known hate vidya. Anyway, RIP :(

"Cyber bullying" is a stupid millenial creation by women who can't tell their kids to just get off the fucking internet.

It's not bullying unless there is the threat of (or actual) physical harm, which requires interaction in-person.

Felt really sad while reading it, you had a great bro and I'm sure he's glad you kept it.

Playing megaman 2, super mario 1-3, Kabuki, was enough for a loooong time. You wouldn't just beat them within a few days, you were stuck with them for a long time. And if you'd beat one, you'd easily play them again.

Back then, popular games meant they (in most cases) actually were good. Just checl the list. Pay close attention to 1998 and 2005, and how it compares to 2007 when shit went downhill.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best

I'm not sure the vidya industry will ever recover

>-had to blow into cartridges sometimes. Not sure how that started.
I feel like this must've come from a TV show, like Video Power or something, but Video Power isn't old enough, because even in the NES era, everyone somehow knew that you had to blow into cartridges if they wouldn't start. Some earlier TV show I've forgotten the name of I guess.

My mom used to play Tetris on my Gameboy. She was never any good at it, as far as I could tell, but it was a relief to me because it meant she wasn't falling for the anti-game fearmongering that was getting its start around that time. I had some friends who weren't so lucky. They spent a lot of time at my house.

No internet, no videogame culture. Can only connect with other videogamers through friends. No friends are hardcore into gaming. Read videogame magazines.

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T EVER FUCK PEOPLE OVER

SOME MOTHERFUCKERS HOLD GRUDGES

>games were actually finished

It's a literal fucking crime that devs think it's acceptable to release unfinished games now.

>8-16 bit era games
>often age far better than fifth gen

THIS SO FUCKING MUCH.

5th gen has not aged well. At least not for consoles. PC gaming back then was fucking amazing.

Why not just deport their whole family?

There were 3D games in the 80s. Atari had a 3D arcade game back in like... I wanna say it was 1983, but I'd have to look that up to be sure.

>friend gives me his tekken 3 cd.
>i'll give it back to you soon buddy!
>pretty much forget about the game in a few weeks
>years pass by, we both go to different high schools
>haven't seen him since 2002 or so.
I still have it and dont care lol

I remember using the internet to find walkthroughs for RPG games. Final Fantasy 3/6(the one with Terra?) in particular. I knew it was gonna be a long game and had no intention of playing it through a second time so just followed a walkthrough to get the optimal ending. Breath of Fire 2 as well.
Mind you...I was playing them on emulators either late 90s or very early 2000s.

Internet gaming was almost completely unfeasible for me. I think I mainly played Diablo 1 on modem with friends from town. But I remember getting Godly Plate of the Whale so at some point it must have worked on the net. By Diablo 2, I know I was definitely playing online with dropouts here and there. Got onto Starcraft pretty late but the custom games were well established by then which was good.

I think I owned Battlefield 2 but it didn't work for shit online. Mostly played against bots.

Attached: 1379915573415.gif (370x330, 325K)

Myst looked WAY better than N64 games or even most Gamecube games. Consoles didn't catch up to 90s PC games until everything went HD in the 7th gen.

>2. Most people did not beat games. You might beat Mario or maybe Zelda and maybe Mega Man or a few other easy games, but you never beat the majority of the games you bought. Even the kids that were known as being "pretty good at Nintendo games" would only beat half or less of their games as a general rule.

This.

To beat most NES games, you had to play them enough to be really good thanks to limited lives or continues. This meant that even though some games could theoretically be beaten in under 4 hours or even 2 hours in a no-death playthrough, the game would give you months of entertainment if you wanted to master it enough to beat it.

Did she take it on the face? Was she into raceplay shit?

The important question here is DID YOU GET YOUR GAME BACK?

>things that happened

This.

Reading these posts from bottom to top can be interesting

games had to be good day one or it fucked off. no fucking patches, you just put in a game and turn it on and it worked.

Imagine that you watched vidya games get more creative and engaging over time while also benefitting from improvements technology from roughly 1992 to 2007.

Now imagine that this trend irreversibly pivots and is replaced by an unchanging drone of over-commercialized and forgettable fads.

And then imagine that you will live for at least another 50 years.

Attached: 36EB8F1C-64C8-43FD-B0D0-AB8C613B0FD4.jpg (700x430, 101K)

Porn was very hard to find.

>Nintendo exploded in popularity around '88-'89.

'87. It was the highest selling single item at retail during the entire Christmas that year. NES sold 1 million in 1985, another 3 million in 1986, and then just blew the fuck up in 1987 and during that year and the next became the single hottest gift item in America. 1989 and 1990 were the last 2 years of the NES craze's height, though it continued to be played by 10s of millions of people even during the 16-bit era and until it was discontinued in 1994. And even after that a lot of people would still play it. Funco Land blew up because you could get cheap NES games there.

My parents were born in the 40s and had no interest in games.
lol, they might snitch decades later.
hahah, probably in a sanctuary state like california.

That faggot is trolling you. There were NO politics in gaming back then.

>they actually killed a main character. That NEVER happened.

Unless you played PC games. Then it happened all the fucking time.

I was in the genesis/snes era, it really wasn't that different from now but the biggest issues were that you had to base weather or not you purchase a game on the back of the box and gaming magazines(which had no problem shilling shitty games)

You mean there was nothing that you recognized as political

Thank god for save and load states in emulators.

>I still haven't finished Battletoads because I botched a save during the log riding water level and gave up.

replay mgs1 buddy

Attached: F3DD26BA-EFEB-41A9-8C9A-B0644F1F2026.gif (1200x675, 192K)

>16 years old
>got a job in a video store
>got my first paycheck
>SNES had been out for years
>everyone traded in all their old games
>thought they would never have any need for their old games
>Funcoland was selling any NES game for under a dollar
>$200 to buy all the NES games I always wanted
>go to where I had seen the NES discount bin every week of my life
>it's gone
>cashier says they shipped all NES carts from the tristate area to Millville, NJ
>carts were still selling well in Millville
>skip school and take a roadtrip
>transmission explodes on the highway
>tow truck to get my car back costs $200
>spend a month working to get my transmission fixed
>never made it to Millville
>two decades go by
>watching Mike Matei explain where he got his NES cart wall behind his couch
>tells the exact same story
>except he made it to Millville and bought the entire NES bin for about $200
>mfw

Attached: 1341180840171.jpg (572x507, 178K)

I was born in 1994 and my dad taught me how to play Super Mario Bros 3 well over 1 year old. I had two neighbors with a SNES and I would go to each of their houses because they had Yoshi's Island. One of them showed me Super Mario RPG and I thought the island of Yoshi's were cool, but at the time I was really only a platformer guy. Yoshi's Island literally felt like the best thing ever and I don't even know why. Everything felt different back then. You were never bored.

I was just lucky to be born during that time because I know how objectively good the classics are. But when the sixth/seventh generation hit, that was nothing but fond memory after fond memory. I feel like I got the objective experience and the way I've lived is the reason I am so much more fond of consoles than having a PC that can do it all.

Attached: 1550508665977.jpg (801x1200, 251K)

No one actually fucking did this. It's a meme popularized by underage posters that've spent too much time on reddit.

that's a nice story

>He narced, thats a bitch move just for a video game.

Drug dealers deserve death. Eat shit, subhuman.

>You're a punk ass rat.

On a scale of beaner to beaner, how beaner are you?

>And that never changes.
F2P changed it

>should of

they actually did do it, faggot. not all families could afford to buy a ton of shit. why is that so strange to you?

Aside from those 2 games and GTA5, kids don't really play games anymore. The gaming industry has always claimed that "most gamers are adults" even when it was a blatant lie, but now it's actually true.

I didn't have heat issues with our NES but I did see it happen with our Atari 800 computer sometimes, where it would just start acting really strange, regardless of what software was running

The fuck they didn't. Going to the grocery store with three small kids is a fucking disaster so you bribe them if they behave

We had to write everything out with a pen.

this, playing new games was excited because you barely knew what to expect. Going to blockbuster was like digging through a mysterious pile of treasure. There were tons of secrets in games no one knew about and since the internet was incredibly slow and google wasn't as robust, you mostly found cool stuff through word of mouth.

VCR for recording passwords

This is really the base of the truth of it, with the limited graphics your imagination added so much. Games felt like so much than they were and as if amazing mysteries might lurk around every corner. The combination of it being relatively new and the minimal graphics really allowed the imagination to take over and add to the game, much like how when you read a book the world often seems much more big and interesting and full of surprise and mystery than when you see the movie based on it.

you never beat sonic? I sat down recently and beat sonic 2 in under an hour and I haven't played the game in over a decade. I don't see how you couldn't have beaten one of the sonic games if you played it every day.

says the fag who didn't get blood in mortal kombat

>google
Google didn't even exist yet, you'd be using Yahoo or Webcrawler, or Metacrawler if you were a hardcore early-adopter internet nerd. Even then, most of the info about games came from game/series shrine sites, which often just regurgitated the rumors from gaming mags or word-of-mouth. And CG Shrines for video game character porn.

they had 3d graphics in movies for a while of course home computers would get it eventually

if you couldn't figure out how to beat a game you were pretty much screwed. we didn't hold onto game manuals so nobody in my family could figure out how to play star voyager.

forgot pic

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

>tfw dragonball-city.nl/

also I forgot about vgmusic, that site is 23 years old now

Attached: vglogo4.jpg (493x299, 34K)

Everything just felt special back then. Everything felt fresh, vibrant and simply fun. SNES games especially felt magical and kinda still do to me. The amount of passion that went into a lot of games back then is unreal, even something as simple as Streets of Rage. Of course there were some terrible games then too not saying everything was golden.

A good example is the regi puzzles in ruby and sapphire.

Lmao. I'm a near zoomer and would never consider that era "classic"

never knew about that. i guess the industry has always been greedy. i learned from this thread that games used to cost 80 bucks too. maybe we actually have it better off price-wise these days.