How do I get into Dragon quest ? I've been playing pic related for 5 hours but nothing really grabs my attention...

How do I get into Dragon quest ? I've been playing pic related for 5 hours but nothing really grabs my attention... I own but didnt play IX, played VIII as a child and plan on getting XI S

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 155K)

You don't need to force yourself to like something if you just really dislike it. I tried DQ3, played until you get the ship but dropped it after.

Dragon Quest is really hit or miss with me. I fucking adored 5 and Dragon Warrior Monsters (that one when I was a kid, I loved it more than pokemon), but I wasn't the biggest fan of VIII or IX. I also quit XI after 10 hours, but I hope to get the time to go through it during my vacation. I also adored Dragon Quest Builders.

dq is quite shit franchise with only 2 or 3 playable games
despite latest massive shilling in v

I'm a huge jrpg fan and It just feels weird not being into the "original" jrpg franchise

May not be for you. Hard to say. V or VIII are probably the 2 best to start with. IX is garbage. IV is one of the better entries, but isn't a great starting point.

>I'm a huge jrpg fan
Same here and I already knew about the existence of DQ, but have been ignoring it until the smash announcement. Now that I finally tried it, I can say I didn't like it much.

I guess I'll get VIII or XI, i have some nostalgia towards VIII and XI seems like a good entry point

I've played a couple of DQs (3, 5, 8, and a bit of 4) and the only one I would actually say I'm a fan of is 5.

I enjoyed XI, as I played the games since the first hit Nintendo, but it's biggest weakness is the story. It's just not very compelling, until about 3/4 of the way through (well, the 50% Mark is good too). There's post-game content that redeems some of the shortcomings, but it's stupid you have to put 40-60 hours in to get there.

whats up with this game? can you play it without jap? is there a patch or will be?

Attached: gareg.png (388x302, 213K)

Just play the other versions of it

why

The best way to enjoy dragon quest is to completely abandon the “I can’t win I must grind” mindset. The battle systems are “basic” but if you grind it becomes a matter of I’ll just spam my best thing boom it’s dead. Not even talking about super low level runs just not grinding out level after level will force you to strategize on what you need to do to win, and at that point it’s a blast. Also always ALWAYS use the party chat feature. Your party always has something o say about whatever you are currently doing, even stuff for what an npc just said. All this being said, if you don’t enjoy it don’t force yourself. Not everyone likes everything.

IV gets really good once you get to chapter 5. Chapter 5 is basically the entire second half of the game. Might want to try V or XI if 4 isn't grabbing you

DQIV sucks, the plot is generic and the only good part about it are the party members and their own backstory.
Feel free to skip to DQV, which is a thousand times better.
You own IX so play that as well cuz its decent enough.

>IX is garbage
? I liked it

>IX is garbage. IV is one of the better entries, but isn't a great starting point

Hey OP, dont listen to this faggot.

When does dqv get good? Ppl keep saying it's one of the best dq but I don't see what's so special. I'm about to go rescue prince harry after he got kidnapped (like 5 hours in)

>dragon quest

Attached: dqsoyboy.jpg (432x768, 39K)

>IX is garbage
IMHO there's really only two main problems with IX:
>your party members are all blank slates, hell "canonically" they don't even exist, only the hero character can be seen in cutscenes
>too much reliance on multiplayer(understandable, since the game was aimed at Japanese commuters)

after you rescue Harry, shit gets good

>smash bros

Attached: 1532336277572.jpg (1280x720, 175K)

The game actually begins after rescueing Harry.
Also, I'm playing the Dragon Quest games in order in their original forms and at 5 right now. It's probably my least favorite so far.