Flow State

What are the best video games that allow you to reach flow state?

Attached: Challenge_vs_skill_Commons.jpg (591x566, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FPS games with good gunplay.

monster hunter, old and new

Crypt of the Necrodancer
Tetris

For me, it's arousal.

what the fuck are you talking about?

I feel like relaxation and boredom should be switched.

I felt a pretty strong flow playing Sekiro at times

unironically stuff like OSU!, bullet hell, speedrunning, trackmania, DOOM, even papers please

i just want racing games to be popular again

>In positive psychology, a flow state, also known colloquially as being in the zone, is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does, and a resulting loss in one's sense of space and time.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

I'm retarded but the chart is the challenge the game gives vs the skill you posses at the game? I mean if it was the skill required in the game and also the challenge,wouldn't it always be equal?

FLOW

Attached: 3905161296_59a005ecf5_b.jpg (737x1024, 668K)

I don't understand the X and Y axis of this chart
Isn't "challenge" something that inherently requires skill? It seems like the same thing worded in two slightly different ways like sex and gender

Challenge level is how much the game asks of you
Skill level is how equipped you are to meet it

Lumines

Fighting games

skill as in skill level of the player

low skill / low challenge vs high skill / low challenge

same game, player is just better at it

I don't think most people here know what the flow state is.
Look at this nigger , people are ignorant as fuck here.

Last time I felt I was in a flow state was solo killing the Nameless King in Dark Souls 3, or maybe Sword Saint in Sekiro

Attached: Nameless King.jpg (1080x600, 129K)

REQUIRE and HAVE is not the same.
Ergo, anxiety for high challenge low skill, relaxation for low challenge high skill.

Though personally I'd swap relaxation and boredom.

>DOOM 16 mostly puts me in worry and anxiety states
How do I achieve arousal state
How do I achieve flow state
Git gud I know but what are the tricks

Maybe he's not an Anglo thus doesn't keep up with psuedoscience you niggers spew everywhere

if i really was ignorant i wouldn't bother asking what it even means

as a start, don't stop running

Ohhh so it's like a supply/demand slope, got it.

yeah it makes no sense

So if you are HIGHLY skilled, and the game asks very little of you, then they consider that relaxing? I see that as the game wasting my time, with the rare exception of like, a fishing minigame or something.

Why is fishing so comfy?

You could argue any highskill high reflex required game. Honestly the closest I get is SHMUPs.

>Though personally I'd swap relaxation and boredom.
Read the ENITRE post, please, user.

A fighting game you’re skilled at against an opponent of equal or only slightly higher skill level.

I know that much, I only ever stop moving to siege a big cunt, but I still get blindsided all the fucking time and I feel like I keep running out of ammo too often. And it's not like I keep missing either.

There's a third dimension to this chart though, which would be Interest / Investment.

I could be highly skilled at a challenging game, and still not give a shit about it.
The bullet hell segments on Furi were like that for me. Just didn't really care either way

>Game is somewhat harder than what my current skills can do
>Get an erection

The later worlds in almost any Mario game, 2D or 3D

After playing action games I'm working at a way faster mental pace than I have playing anything else.
Low skill dehydrated gamer spotted. Flow is ludo in its purest form. The point where vidya can touch the ephemeral.

I agree, I think it’s why boredom and relaxation in particular are so sketchy for some people: Whether I find the task dull or soothing mostly depends on the satisfaction I get in performing the task, not necessarily my skill or it’s difficulty.

SSX 3

>In positive psychology, a flow state
>positive psychology
Are you sure your chakras are aligned user? You're coming off like a total scorpio.

Attached: thinken.jpg (480x480, 26K)

rhythm games
RTS, moba, FPS, fighting
anything you're good at

For me it's sim racers by far, nothing else captures that pure focus with no distractions and intuitive precise gameplay of racers.

I mostly agree but I think peak ludo doesn’t necessarily require high challenge, the best parts of games with kino or comfy moments, like a good Zelda dungeon puzzle or a rainy day in Harvest Moon aren’t ludo because they DEMAND my full attention / reflexes, but they still manage to immerse me fully in a different way.

Woah, Dave!

in a place with no challenge
low skill guy doesn't give a fuck, because he's not good at it and he's not yet interested in getting good
middle skill guy is bored, because he's starting to improve and wants to get better
high skill guy is relaxing, because he already knows he's good and low challenge is a sandbox

Attached: DKC1AND2.png (796x1134, 1.86M)

>I don’t know anything about this scientific doctrine, so I’m going to equate it to pseudo-science

Nerd

Speedrunning roguelikes is the only way I can get into flow nowadays.

Everything else just feels frustrating, like jerking off but never getting past half chubs.

Attached: orb.png (640x372, 39K)

literally the two synonyms to flow

Killing Floor 2 when your team is dead and only you are left
Unreal Tournament 99/2k4 with bots at your skill level

When people say something is comfy, they usually mean relaxation mode

Racing games, hands down. Especially ones where the priority isn't going fast, it's staying fast.

Attached: wekfcrnvioen.jpg (1920x1080, 238K)

>Literally first sentence of the Wikipedia article
>Positive psychology is "the scientific study of what makes life most worth living"

Attached: 1554905689914.png (478x523, 168K)

Attached: 1561318327842.jpg (591x566, 111K)

What about story-games?
I've found many JRPGs which require no skill and has no challenge yet I'm completely immersed in the story and characters

They require no skill, therefore you have high skill in them by default.