Lynchian

Any other games with this feel
>Takes place in a small quaint town
>Quirky group of characters
>supernatural or mysterious element

Attached: 6a00e54f7ac65c88330133f1770323970b-pi[1].jpg (500x300, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5l-6y8dx6zk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Deadly Premonition isn't Lychian it's just a label that brainlet journalist put on it. Deadly Premonition isn't even a brainlet Twin Peaks.

Give me the lynchpill.

Attached: 1558466518736.png (949x676, 922K)

There's little doubt the game is VERY inspired by Twin Peaks, but yeah. Lynchian is supposed to genuinely freak you out or confuse you, since David Lynch is a weird man. Deadly Premonition never really hits that point or anywhere close.

Comfy game, though, for all its technical faults.

Persona 4 and Shenmue 1

Pathologic 2 fits these perfectly

>Comfy game
Recommend me other comfy games.
I also love game that take place in a small town for some reason.
Someone posted one for the PS1 that looked interesting, it was a Japan only release it seems

That would encompass

Alan Wake

What you described is literally only true of Twin Peaks aside from maybe "supernatural or mysterious element. When people who aren't hacks compare something to Lynch they are usually talking about a certain style that's present in all his works, not just that it's like Twin Peaks.

Really wish we could get more unique and just outright strange games like this

Attached: perfection.jpg (629x337, 34K)

Why are you saying "Lynchian" if you solely mean "like Twin Peaks"?

Attached: 1553681759785.jpg (1280x850, 206K)

>Lovecraftian

Attached: 1555079073408-the-sinking-city-screen-04-ps4-us-10dec18[1].jpg (1919x1083, 1.32M)

Educate yourselves
“Lynch is noted for juxtaposing surreal or sinister elements with mundane, everyday environments, and for using compelling visual images to emphasize a dreamlike quality of mystery or menace.”

Now that you're educated, properly think of a game that has these elements. I still say Alan Wake

whats the difference lol

This

Yeah, like the first 20 minutes of so perhaps, too bad the rest if the game is shadow monsters

There's still a town, quirky elements and built around a dreamlike world. He literally wakes up the next days to beautiful sunlight, everyone going around their business as if they have no idea about what happened the night before.

what you're describing isn't "Lynchian" Twin peaks is nowhere near Lynch it's clearly written by Frost the man who can write something coherent unlike Lynch

God, I fucking despise The Return

is spot on.

>Game developers and Hollywood suddenly want to make stuff based on Lovercraft
>It has to shit on the guy and yet exploit his works
They really want to have their cake and eat too, uh?
I don't even get it though the guy has been dead for 100 years so whats the point of virtue signaling at this point, I guess thats what happen when you don't have enough foresight to do what Tolkien did with his state.

Attached: Seriously.png (1093x645, 782K)

see
Quirky characters or a small town aren't necessary. Eraserhead takes place in an industrial wasteland. Mullholland drive takes place in LA, literally the polar opposite of a small town. Like the other user mentioned his hallmark is surrealism and putting rather ordinary people in these surreal situations. On top of that there is always a theme present even if it can be hard to discern. Movies like The Elephant Man and Eraserhead have pretty obvious themes though which makes them decent starting points for trying to understand his style if you've already seen Twin Peaks which is probably his most down to Earth creation.

Yeah, why do people give Lynch all the credit for Twin peaks anyway?

The same reason people give Kojima and/or Spielberg all the credit.

Yea Twin Peaks is more like someone else came up with a coherent story and then let Lynch onto the set to do weird things visually.
He is as responsible for it as Frost is. I have no doubt the series wouldn't have grabbed people like it did if it didn't have his brand of weirdness on top of an ordinary police story. Things like casting Bob were done by him on the spot while filming. The guy who is one of the primary villains was originally just a stage hand who you could see in a mirror. Lynch thought it looked cool though and kept it in. That kind of weird nonsensical decision making is why Lynch's shit is unique at the very least.

The guy was a good writer but was also clearly a confused bigot. Not even he could stand by his beliefs, he was a self professed antisemite who married a Jew. I fail to see why anyone should be required to respect his point of view when he didn't even stick to it.

Forget videogames, how come not even another tv show has manged to copy Twin Peaks to an even a competent degree.

They literally virtue signal greece and any other historical stories presented in video games for sake of inclusiveness

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 1.42M)

>bigot
More like just a regular person from 1900s

a bigot? Literally everyone at the time had the same if not a worse outlook on blacks and other minorities. Holding a person's belief in question based on our current social standings is retarded. Even Teddy Roosevelt was a comically racist person based on today's standards and views.

Attached: 1560133542674.png (1269x718, 998K)

Actually there are correspondences between him and other writers with them essentially telling him he needs to chill a little bit with the racism. Also I say bigot in it's most literal sense. Lovecraft was terrified of anything different or new. Normally I would agree with you that judging a person from a past era by modern standards is stupid but even if we judge him by his era's standards there were people who thought he was somewhat disturbed in his reactions to other cultures and new ideas. And he was, mental illness ran in his family. And again, to top it all off, not even he could stick to his standards when it meant getting his dick wet so I fail to see why anyone else should have to.

Because Twin Peaks is very visually distinct, and that distinction is exclusively due to Lynch's artistic vision.
The visuals aren't the only important things obviously, but they leave a lasting impression.

I can't wait to see how they diversify the upcoming Norse game
I'm sure plenty of Viking Kangz await us

Attached: hicham-habchi-vikinhg-recovered-1.jpg (1151x1630, 365K)

If there is a single black character, you know it's already ruined

Seriously? People were racists towards the Germans and Irish at that time
Fuck outta here with your modern sensibilities.

>enter thread hoping for game suggestions
>posts only arguing the definition of lynchian and the personal racism of teddy roosevelt

>it's clearly written by Frost the man who can write something coherent unlike Lynch
>Yea Twin Peaks is more like someone else came up with a coherent story
Explain then the second season if there was a coherent plot and Lynch was just a extra then the second season wouldn't be so irredeemable they had to call Lynch in to salvage the mess.

You may like pathologic

Attached: ss_077238cce46bd43160b4d73953e2428df0ae9d64.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 610K)

I addressed this uninformed point here
Many of Lovecraft's contemporaries both in the world of pulp writing and in the larger world of writing in general wrote him numerous letters saying he needed to chill. Also the thing none of you responding to me ever address which was my main point was that Lovecratf didn't even stand by his views when it meant getting some pussy.

Seriously, I just wanted some more comfy games taking place in a small town with maybe some supernatural elements.

what's the american werewolf in london of video games?

link's awakening was inspired by Twin Peaks

Alan Wake

The Witcher

People keep saying this but all I remember from this game was a really nice and comfy introduction to a typical Stephen King town, but then 99% of the rest of the game being fighting shadow monsters.
Maybe I need to play it again to see if I missed something.

there is a lot of returning to the town but yes, fighting the same 3 enemy types gets really repetitive

There was also a log lady and some other stuff that referenced Twin Peaks i believe

The Darkness

>Explain then the second season if there was a coherent plot and Lynch was just a extra then the second season wouldn't be so irredeemable they had to call Lynch in to salvage the mess.
I wouldn't call Lynch "just an extra" I just think he didn't contribute to the writing of a lot of the more down to earth drama stuff which many people agree because you can see how Twin Peaks differs from his other work which sometimes doesn't have any real narrative at all. That stop motion bunny thing he did is just a living nightmare. It's pretty clear his main contributions were visual and in writing the weird mythos. Season 2 is also just a mess all around and a big part of that is executive meddling as well as Lynch and Frost having a falling out making it hard for them to work together. But I agree that without him the show wouldn't be what it is. It's weird you think I was saying he was "just an extra" when the post you are responding to says "He is as responsible for it as Frost is."

Alan Wake is more Stephen King like another user said. Being in a small town and referencing Twin Peaks does not equate to being in Lynch's style.

>being this fucking picky
>despite alan wake containing everything in the OP and several twin peaks references

Funny actually, you would think that small towns would be perfect setting for videogames because of the limited rendering space, and yet I can't think of many games that really take advantage of that.
I think more games need to do this, it really makes the games feel more comfy.

Attached: 930754-bullworthtown2bully[1].jpg (480x336, 24K)

I think the OP is completely off the mark in what constitutes Lynch's style. This has been said in this thread by me and like 3 or 4 others.

>Lynchian
Paratropic
youtube.com/watch?v=5l-6y8dx6zk
Kentucky Route Zero

They just need to make a Stranger Things or It videogame

Attached: Stranger_Things_logo[1].png (728x400, 156K)

Isn't there loterally a game that came out 10 years ago that was actually inspired by Twin Peaks?

Yeah, Deadly Premonition, the game in OP's post

I wish i could play Deadly Premonition but can't get it to work on my PC. Shit....

I played on the X-Box, man the controls sucked ass.

install PhysX and DPFix
worked for me

Something like Earthbound captures that style to some degree, albeit nowhere near as intensely so as any of Lynch's works
>Fairly standard US kid stereotypes, dealing with cults, the evil of man and an alien force

Obviously things like Silent Hill are much closer to what Lynch would present in his works however.

Surprised there hasn't been one to be honest, the peak of popularity for that show is already gone.

Killer 7 is very Lynchian, and also one of the greatest games ever made. Even the gameplay is Lynchian. It doesn't take place in a small town, but play it anyway.

I'm pretty sure Telltale was doing one before they went under.

Life is Strange
Persona series
Earthbound

>Killer 7 is very Lynchian
lol no you brainlet

Because publishers don't want to market an incredibly detailed town that's only two miles across. They want to market a map that's got over 500 miles of content, even if that's open roads.

Literally comes out in a month or so, but it's some weird 16-bit top down adventure game, so not sure how well it's going to play.

It could be a great retro trip, or just hamfisted and awkward.

No More Heroes fits his style moreso than Killer 7, especially the later games literally incorporating dreamlike elements and more supernatural stuff. I'd argue Travis Strikes Again does it perfectly.
>Mind-control, cloning, magic and alien invasions all set against the pretence of a guy playing some rare videogames.

Explain the Yakuza series

A drop in the ocean compared to something like Rockstar and Ubisoft open worlds. The fact that the Yakuza series is designed in such a way is one of its highlights and I wish more games were styled that way, but you can't honestly suggest that is the norm.

I like it but I dislike its special effects, don't understand why it is the way it is and it has made me look back more negatively on Mulholland Dr. because I used to think that, although the special effects look similar there, there seemed to be a good reason for it looking the way it does, but The Return makes me question that because of its special effects.

t.shit-taste pleb

paratropic

Attached: 796-458.jpg (800x449, 25K)

Whatever Albino Lullaby was.

Attached: Albino Lullabies.jpg (620x348, 59K)

Kill yourself, braindead retard. Face it, The Return is just not Twin Peaks. It's just Lynch being autistic

Nobody said Persona 4?