Why aren't you playing a JRPG right now?

Why aren't you playing a JRPG right now?

Attached: 1561222366698.jpg (1820x1287, 799K)

work, school, life in general

Is Shinning Resonance good? -75% off right now and I'm looking for something to play before Shadowbringers release.

Yes.

Because I've been playing Crash Team Racing. I've got a few jrpgs lined up though.

>-75% off right now
More than worth it for that price.

Because there's nothing I want to play right now, unless I replay something else.
Waiting for the RS3 remaster to finally come out.

>Why aren't you playing a JRPG right now?
Where are no good ones.

Attached: 1529698156206.jpg (600x863, 162K)

cute girl

But I am, user, and I'm having a blast

Attached: a63dd782b1748f8bcb881df2e991bde25089181e.jpg (1500x1500, 902K)

If you like waifus and songs yes. Otherwise it's extremely generic and grindy as fuck.

Recommend me one that doesn't fall into the typical cliche bullshit and maybe I will. I don't want some fucking isekai'd chosen one with his harem of waifus stopping the reality-eating dark lord or whatever the fuck, I want something that actually has some fucking substance behind it.

Attached: 1558044444336.jpg (1142x1087, 122K)

Earthbound is alright

I prefer video games

Ys VIII

Live a Live

Terranigma.

>I don't want some fucking isekai'd chosen one with his harem of waifus stopping the reality-eating dark lord
Give me some examples, I love reality-eating dark lords.

TTYD is great. Dark Souls trilogy too. I also really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

cause i already beat mother 3

can anyone recommend a good jrpg with lots of cute girls in it? Preferably a girl MC too.

>TTYD
Mario came from Brooklyn, so that makes him an isekai character

Attached: Bear.jpg (209x336, 39K)

Tokyo Xanadu worth picking up?

I am though, I'm replaying lufia, while I wait for DQ builders 2

You're looking for the Atelier series.

try out FFT breh

because I’m not a virgin

Dragon Quest 8, the best jumping in point. Your just some guardsman who is the sole survivor of your kingdom getting cursed and on a quest to break said curse

No faggot he’s from New Donk City which is in the same world

Assuming you mean eX+ and it's on sale then sure. Vita version isn't worth it if you have access to another platform to play it on.

Attached: A260EAF8-920E-4D96-9EF3-2C6CA88B480F.jpg (680x447, 26K)

The male MC is fucking annoying.
You see Rito from To Love Ru? This motherfucker is worse, way worse than Rito.

Playing Vesperia for the first time.
I have only beat Abyss in the Tales series, is it common in thse games that you beat the bad guy and discover you are only halfway through the game? If it is, nice. I like that shit.

But very very few jrpgs are like that.

Yes, Abyss and Vesperia in particular are divided in three acts (in Abyss, act 1 ends with the events at Akzeriuth, act 2 with the events that set up the timeskip and act 3 with the end of the game) so you'll see the same formula.

I plaitnumed it.
It was OKish. For 75% off its a no brainer.
Also, cant remember her name, but flat is best grill.

>Vesperia
Nice Yuri is the best protagonist in the series, all others after him pale in comparison. It’s actually one of the big reasons I hated Graces

Come on guys, it's still like $12. I'll probably get it though since I doubt it'll drop lower.

Marion.

Attached: 2018091300125900-C32B7B3E7C656F5366843226D09AAE5C.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

By the way, it's easy to remember if you think that her name plus that of her brother spell marionette.

Because I'm trying to decide if I want to start the Witcher 3, God Eater 3 or Tales of Vespiria and only that game for the next week

Attached: 1534086564181.png (591x716, 226K)

Truth be told, I dont remember shit about Abyss, except that I liked it and it being divided in before and after the BIGBADGUY fight.
So other Tales dont have this? I have Eternia PSP, graces f, Xillia 1, 2, Symphonia Coll PS3, Zestiria and Berseria. Recommendation for the next one to play?

He is damn nice. When he killed those 2 imperial officers I was like "finally a non moral fag MC like that blond knight bitch"

Haven't played graces, but I can manage around shitty MC, I remember the only ones Ive hated were Radiata Stories and Brave Story ones. And, I often hear graces has the most fun combat.

The genre is about as cookie cutter as it can get. You will unironically get better gameplay from MMO's than 99% of JRPG's out there.

The genre peaked with Chrono Trigger, and nothing has even come close since, unless you count Dark Souls, which would then be the only other series exception.

Attached: 1559269201886~2.png (500x506, 335K)

Because I'm playing Dungeon Fighter Online

Attached: New_Geniewiz.png (786x600, 622K)

tony ruined shining, basically soul soulless, fucking disgusting waifu pandering, no horse pussy

>Is Shinning Resonance good?
Yes and no. It has waifus, and it has all the elements needed to be a good JRPG. Is it? No.

There is one large town, but that is it. There is no fast travel, despite it having a huge world. Battles are boring and if you are trying for trophies, it goes downhill fast. The trophies are tied to tedious activities which only prolong the boring combat.

Still you should buy it on a massive discount, but don't expect to see it become a cult classic anytime soon.

I'm getting wrecked even in easier jrpgs and grinding for 10 hours at every bottleneck doesn't sound like fun
How does an ultra-casual like me gitgud?

Attached: 1424188774017.jpg (879x1200, 784K)

>There is no fast travel
Well, there is half fast travel. You can fast travel back to town, but not from it.

I'm too autistic for turn based games and only play Action RPG's

I wish JRPGs, or japanese games in general weren't so pretentious.
I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles right now, I love the gameplay, but the story and characters are the most anime cliche shit. I wish they could go for a more mature and serious story, since the setting is quite nice, and rare for japanese games.

Attached: 1557738096385.png (458x456, 220K)

That punisher streak he developed was the cherry on top for me.

Delicious.

Ohshit.

Dumb casual scum

I enjoyed it. For 75% off yeah you should get it

Anime cliche shit is the exact fucking opposite of pretentious

>Being in this much denial
SMT is the closest thing to being outside the box as the genre gets, and it's essentially just Pokemon for Delores.

You haven't played many jrpgs have you?

Because i don't know which one to play. Valkyrie chronicles remastered is downloaded but i just don't know if it's worth the time.

what do you mean too autistic for turn based games?

And you also need yo buy/craft a -consumable- item to warp to town.

Valkyria Chronicles is pretty fun. Give it a try.

Attached: Alicia.Melchiott.full.882070.jpg (600x847, 228K)

Whatever, it costs nothing and you can just buy a bunch a few times. Unlike in the original Japanese PS3 version where it could only be bought via microtransactions.

Most of the staples at the very least.

>FF
>Tactics Ogre
>Grandia
>Wild Arms
>SMT
>DQ
>Suikoden
>Bravely Default
>Pokemon
>Star Ocean
>Tales
>Xenoblade Chronicles
>Lunar
>Timestalkers

The sad reality is that Action RPG's have more identity between themselves than traditional JRPG's do which all either end up being some combination of Dragon Quest, Pokemon, or Tactic's Ogre clones, and the ones that try to stand out (like Grandia) end up being way too easy to get any enjoyment from the gameplay.

I really really doubt you have played those and still think entry level shit like Chrono Trigger and Dark Souls are peak JRPG.

how is SMT more "outside the box" than tactics ogre or xenoblade?

>SMT is the closest thing to being outside the box as the genre gets

Attached: 1560420184781.jpg (682x548, 33K)

>talking about jrpgs
>not mentioning shadow hearts and shadow hearts 2

Attached: ADAD69B3-E65C-4333-83DE-F83A9B080A3D.jpg (640x480, 39K)

I want one with a huge cast, they interact with each other or something. Recommend me something Yea Forums pls

lost odyssey

Doubt all you want, Chrono Trigger and Dark Souls are pure content with almost zero filler with good gameplay unlike the vast majority of those listed games that go on for 100's of hours for literally no reason other than being a part of a time waster arms race to trick people into thinking moar disks = better game, alright?

Tactic's Ogre barely constitutes as a JRPG and is more strategy board game with a leveling system.

SMT tries to take genre staples and shake things up, but just ends up being it's own flavor of, "Attack enemies with elemental weakpoints" , even if the outcome is more than just added damage in some of the titles.

Still haven't played FtNW, but everyone says I better don't.
Shadow H II is 11/10.

yeah SMT isn't outside the box at all. Many games have variations on turn based like mother 3 or the bravely games

Ah I see you don't play videogames at all.

I would stay with that opinion. I owned it for a day and played 30 minutes of it and had to return it. Still never played the first on the series koudelka. SH 1 and 2 are pathetically underrated.

Don't you have summer homeworks to do or something

>dark souls
>almost zero filler
don't even get me started on the sequels

you don't know what the fuck you're talking about

Attached: 23.2[1].jpg (640x452, 47K)

>that spoiler
you're shitting me

Bought II just because PSM magazine rated it 10/10, I never heard about the series but knew the name Koudelka (though I have never played it either).
Later bought SH 1 and it was.... OK, nothing special, except for the last boss BGM, but playing it does make SH II way more special and awesome.

apex retard

>Almost
>One zone that lasts no longer than a couple hours at most with some of the easiest bosses in the entire game somehow worse than 10-40 hours of recycled enemies/content most JRPG's are known for

I am and it's very fun. Just got my second orb, dunno where to go next but I'll figure it out.

Attached: Hbkq9ZE.jpg (977x608, 167K)

I wish I was. The option to retry a battle immediately after you're defeated was also locked behind microtransactions and so was rolling for the figurines. Plus all the extra costumes and Grimoire stories were DLC, and I think some of the music as well of all things. The PS3 version was a scam, only Refrain made it into a proper game.

>one zone
>demon ruins
>lost izalith
>crystal caverns/most of dukes being copy pasted bookshelves
>entirety of darkroot basin

It's even worse in 2/3

not him, but except for the isekai thing FF5 comes to mind. Bartz and his 3 hot bitches stop the void autist and evil overlord from ruining everything.

>lost izalith
>couple of hours
Holy shit are you retarded

>lost odyssey
Thank you, will try it later

I really, seriously want to start playing Dragon Quest from the very beginning but I detest phone ports so the Android/iOS version is out, the GBC versions look whack, and the original SNES versions have to rely on translation patches (which I've heard are worse than the official translation) and are functionally worse than the ports. Basically, I'm in hell.

Attached: 1555292767118.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

no problem. Might be the absolute best exclusive for xbox 360.

Because nothing good in the genre has come out since the year has started(and most of 2018 as well). I mean seriously, name a good jrpg, not some port or oldshit but something recent or from this year that I can play.

>Literally no counterargument

Thanks for proving my point. JRPG fans are literal branded retards with nothing but time to waste on gameplay that requires less thought than your run of the mill first person shooter.
>At most
Not surprised to see reading is hard for JRPGtards, seeing as how you'd have to be illiterate to think anything written in the genre was even remotely passable.

>branded
You made a typo - it seems you were the real retard all along, bro.

Yeah no worries here, I have all the consoles + pc so being suggested an exclusive is no big deal. Just wanted some jrpg games with a large cast and see the interactions between them

Mary Skelter
Labyrinth of Refrain
Etrian Odyssey nexus
Valkyria chronicles 4

His reply will be that those are all shit, the same as anyone else that says "Name me some good X games". I don't know why people bother to respond to them anymore.

You've heard it wrong pal,do try the snes versions or just skip to DS/PS era

>no argument
>ignores my post when he gets annihilated

you can leave now

>VC4
>JRPG
Pick one. Or are you going to seriously say Hogs of Waifu's is a JRPG simply because, "muh anime"?

Japanese
Role
Playing
Game
You might as well say tales isn't a jrpg series because it isn't turn based or some other retarded criteria you have.

Aren't those dungeon crawlers?
Do they qualify as JRPG's now?

Also, play Stranger of Sword City if you like all that shit you listed, as it's pretty much right along the same lines. I had a good time with it.

>currently playing through dq11 and it gets much better about 40 hours in, memes or not

Xcom isn't considered a WRPG just because it has numbers in it, and VC isn't a JRPG just because there are numbers and anime in it.

Attached: 1479624998669.jpg (3000x1600, 967K)

>Japanese Role Playing Game isn't a Japanese Role Playing Game because it's also a Japanese Strategy Role Playing Game
Fascinating.

>Do they qualify as JRPG's now?
Of course they do, do you live under a rock or something?

>Show enemy health bars damage values in Devil May Cry
>It's now an Action RPG

Your MS Paint image is just as retarded as you are.

Literally nobody uses the term LRPG
>computer rpgs don't have to be on computer
come on

I guess League of Legends counts as an RPG now.

because they're bad

Attached: __altina_shining_series_and_etc_drawn_by_tanaka_takayuki__8cf5dec4456036827b1fd6a554be6ab7.jpg (1280x1820, 1.1M)

Kinda? It's an RTS/RPG.

>Already beat mary skelter in 2017, fine for a compile heart game, I guess

>Already beat VC4 early last year, I liked it

>honestly labyrinth refrain went under my radar since I'm not much of a dungeon crawler fan, from what i remember it's a NIS game that looks like it has a lot of micromanaging(and likely grindy), which I'm not fond of.

>not much of an etrian fan(because lack of story, and job classes/battle system that I never liked) but I played through at least half of it before trading it for something else.

Tony needs to draw more flats.
Breasts are disgusting.

So when did you realize that you're retarded?

Modern shining games are pretty bad, yeah.
Altina was also barely a character, and what little character it had was grating as fuck, like most of modern shining females.
Tony's massive sameface issues doesn't help either.

fuck off
he's right

Attached: __drawn_by_tanaka_takayuki__45b0d0f8f61b271be7d2f0b78d4dc8a2.jpg (1763x2500, 547K)

says the chest-tumours lover.

says the man who prefers girls with the bodies of children

those don't look anything like children

I dare you to say this ain't sexy.

Attached: 8be5f0ea30232e1ca165648c439a2e6d625fec12f7f2621b48872f30b43992b8.png (3300x1917, 1.2M)

Stop posting Tony sameface, thank you very much.

>love Disgaea characters and music
>hate strategy / tactical RPGs
Fuck, why are they so slow.

I've heard Disgaea 5 is quite good and fast, is it true? The only SRPGs Ive finished were the Suikoden and Noire ones, and that's just because I had nothing else to play at the time.

I knew most of the costumes and extra stories were paid DLC, but fucking p2p gacha mechanics?
Fucking glad I pirated it.

I am. I always wanted to play the PSP Shining games, but I'm on a tight budget now so I'll buy that next year

Don't, they're all shit.

look at this faggot

Attached: __etna_disgaea_drawn_by_beanis__f932b415e546e196ec33e16a31dfd175.webm (900x736, 1.97M)

It is absolutely awful and I regret every second playing.
Pro tip if you do decide to pick it up: The game FORCES you to use a certain character at the very fucking end of the game so you better make sure everyone's grinded up to par.
I hadn't ever used that character so they were level 15 and I had to get through a sequence with level 70 enemies. I broke out Cheat Engine and did it on god mode because it would've taken literal days of grinding to get him up to snuff.

It wasn't a very good game before that but this shit just made me absolutely despise it.

I expected as much, but Tony Taka is forcing my hand

man of culture as well

Attached: 1556048678181.jpg (1280x720, 282K)

Jrpg is dying. I don't even think there's a new one for me until Ys IX and Ryza releases. Which is like 3 months away.

>look up the sauce
>Actually original animation and not cropped.

Color me surprised.

I just put down ff5.

I mildly enjoyed it up to the point where I realized that dragon form is an instant win button and it never stops working throughout the entire game EXCEPT for the one part where it forces you to use 2 specific characters for the only time in the entire game, and I hadn't leveled either of them.
It's a very shitty game all in all.

>-75% off right now
Neat
>on Steam
Aw man. I really hate having a toaster.

Anybody else having the problem of really wanting to play a JRPG but just can't find one to commit to? I've been constantly thinking about them these past couple months but when it comes time to buy one I just never do. I think I'm somewhat burnt out.

Attached: 1551620811879.jpg (210x240, 19K)

this game actually runs on toasters somehow, even though I can't run 10+ year old games

Cant play what has no gameplay.

It was originally a PS3 game so it's kinda like VC1 where it'll run on toasters.

izalith is great though

>Worst boss ever
>walking dragon butts everywhere
>terrible lava
>earlier bosses as regular enemies

i need more minmaxxing jrps like labyrinth of refrain that run on my toaster, now that was a good jrpg

Attached: 1561096923138.jpg (553x567, 42K)

Playing Melvy’s game at the moment. Fun, but grindy. Shame we’ll never get a western release of 2-2.

Attached: 38C9C1B0-6639-45EA-A6BB-1ABD2D1A8162.jpg (220x281, 35K)

Attached: malos laugh.png (564x594, 483K)

I'm trying to decide what to play. :\

Favorite class?

Attached: Cha04c_5MI.tex_0000001c.png (1056x1541, 1.14M)

Symphonia/vesperia/abyss are the generally agreed good ones in the 3d tales. Phantasia is solid game just dont get the gba one. Graces has the best combat to me but the story chars are god awful, and xilla is simply okay. Havent played the rest

Is there a way to play a US version of Dungeon Travelers 1?

I’m trying to boot my laptop to play dragon quest v in Japanese and it won’t do anything aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

>Already have a huge backlog
>Fire Emblem next month
>Atelier Ryza, Ys IX, and DQ XI in September
>P5R in October
>Shin Sakura Taisen this winter
>several games announced for 2020 already
>Kiseki anniversary event with announcements this week
>new Aquaplus game announcement this week
Where the hell do I find time for all this? Dead genre my ass.

Attached: 1438495681119.jpg (300x375, 32K)

Should add that symphonia only applies to 1, 2 is awful and is just a bridge to phantasia that wasnt needed, outside of a couple nice scenes theres no reason to touch it

Lava is fun and one of my favorite environmental dangers.
Dragon butts are great too
Earlier bosses as regular enemies is part of why its so cool
Not to mention dropping down into the room full of those tuber eye mouth things
people just hate on izalith because the boss isnt a real boss and they heard some youtuber hating on the area

I played Symphonia for a while, but I thought it was kinda boring.
I remember being at some point where a dwarf or midget in a cave asked for some shit, and had to move away due to my job. Time passed and lost interest of it and finally dropped it.
The story was kinda good from what I recall (something about heroine sacrificing herself or some shit, like FFX)

Because I'm playing a WRPG

Attached: Lucian_203.jpg (1920x1080, 532K)

I used CE as soon as the second boss forced me to grind. Game is really slow for it.

Symphonias pretty slow til the 1st big reveal and even after that it doesnt speed up too much, combats not aged well either, if after the reveal its still dull to ya, probably wont pick up

>wanting to get into Ys and Atelier series for years
>still want to play other FF games that I've never tried
>other obscure jrpgs come up now and again that I want to try, surely with 60h+ of gameplay
>each game takes months to finish due to priorities
I know the pain, friend.

Attached: 1436211419973.jpg (1440x1080, 706K)

I was already at another world or something, cant remember well.
If that was the big reveal, it didn't make me drop it. It was probably cause I moved like 4 times in a year, so by the time I got some time for vidya I had already forgotten the plot and, as you said, the combat wasnt as fun as people who played it at the time remember it.

Yeah thats generally the pick up point though you still got some forced progression til the game finally opens up and you can hop between the 2 areas. But yes that combat is rough compared to what comes later, party AI being what it is doesnt help either. If plot/chars dont hold your interest, probably not gonna enjoy it too much

Only at the sixth dungeon but Monica as archer is pretty sweet so far. Grishna is pretty good too.

Attached: 4EEEC598-E7F7-44B1-80DD-95074C93C4D5.png (776x1505, 764K)

Because I'm fucking lazy, okay? I can only read Japanese for like half an hour or so before I get sick of it.

I don’t think so unless there’s an emulator and decent rom out there for PSP

Gimme something to play. I have a shoddy PC, PS4, and a 3DS

Attached: Boobs.png (239x410, 67K)

Any Etrian Odyssey.

Smt 4/apoc