Bayonetta

Anything I should know before getting into Bayonetta? I'll be going through Bayonetta 1 first. I'm also going to play the Wii U version, I had it on my backlog way before the Switch version came out. I've heard about dodge offset, but I have no clue what that means. Is it important?

Attached: Bayonetta.jpg (1200x800, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8IqFDmjli7c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dodge offset, you will need to learn the mechanic to fully enjoy the game.

Here's the basic idea: you deal the most damage with Wicked Weaves, the combo finishers. It's not easy to finish your combos in bayonetta because enemies are constantly attack you. If you dodge in the middle of the combo, you will drop it. However, if you hold down the attack button and dodge while the button is held, your combo is carried over after the dodge. What's more is all weapons in bayo include damaging charge properties so you should be holding down the attack button anyway.

What dodge offset does is it allows you to combine defense and offense into one, amplifies your damage output, and it discourages button mashing.

Sounds cool, I thought it was going to be more complicated than that. Any tips? I'm definitely going to start playing on Normal and work my way up higher difficulties.

>Dodge offset, you will need to learn the mechanic to fully enjoy the game.
You don't need to learn it to enjoy the game. You'll beat the whole thing fine without it. What dodge offset enables is just getting the higher scores. As usual with a platinum game, the key to getting the highest score is not playing efficiently, it's just spamming high number combos and you need dodge offset for that.

You can press RT+Select to skip the cut-scenes without going into the Pause menu, useful when replaying the game.

Get the Bat Within ability as soon as it's unlocked, it makes your dodge even better.

YBY (note that this is Xbox notations) is the fastest Wicked Weave in the game. Practice dodge offset on this combo. When you get comfortable with it move on to other combos, try to at least get comfortable with a number of combos that launch enemies in different directions and something like YYBBB that has 2 Wicked Weaves so you have combos for different purposes. YBY alone won't get you good ranks.

Speaking of ranks, if a fight goes wrong, you can always exit to the main menu (not chapter select), and Continue from there, you will be spawned before the last fight you had. Helps a ton with the ranks.

The attacks enemies throw at you will depend on the distance between you. In a lot of cases it's better to approach a scary enemy to bait out an easy to dodge attack.
youtube.com/watch?v=8IqFDmjli7c

YEah but would you really enjoy getting the stone trophies?

If by beating the whole thing you mean finishing the game on Normal, sure. Personally, I was forced to learn dodge offset when fighting Jeanne on Hard.

It's not hard at all, you just need to get used to holding down the buttons. Practice it with the default pistols, they are very good because when charged they give you a constant damage output, unlike claws, that give you a mine but only when fully charged. When you wrap your head around it, you will never go back to not using it.

>Anything I should know before getting into Bayonetta?
Hold punch and kick buttons

Keep holding down the attack buttons, Op.

Punch (hold it, the enemy is approaching in the meanwhile, you are getting ready to dodge) Kick (hold it, you see the attack coming at you, now is the time) - dodge (release kick at the same time that you dodge) - Punch (you can hold it for more damage, or press jump+Kick (ability needs to be unlocked) to go into the air, btw you are now in Witch Time, it's free damage)

I don't know about you, but the amount of fun I had with bayo increased significantly when I learnt dodge offset.

Also, keep in mind that most weapons in bayo allow you to do combos from a distance.

1 is going to kick your ass if you're going in blind, especially if you spring for a harder difficulty. You need to learn Offset and how to use your Magic, yes, but there's also a lot of Kamiya-isms that you need to be aware of. First and foremost, pay attention and hold the controller during cutscenes, especially mid-stage; there's a good chance that you will either need to do a QTE which can kill you or dodge an attack from an enemy less than a second after the cutscene ends (like Shadows in DMC1). Second, there's going to be multiple sections where the gameplay style changes and they vary from decent to tedious. Lastly, every boss that isn't roughly your size is either mediocre or shit but not too frustrating except for one, but it's worth it to get to the very end of the game because the last sequence is the shit.

In Bayo 2, a lot of what you learned in 1 is less important. Kamiya didn't direct so a lot of his idiosyncrasies are gone. QTEs are way less prominent and the vehicle sections are shorter and play much better. That said, the combat mechanics are also fucked. Umbran Climax becomes the focal point of your Magic usage since it's way more effective than Torture Attacks (and Angel Weapons are weaker in 2). Witch Time becomes way more important whereas in 1 it weens you off of it on the highest difficulty; in 2 many enemies will block your attacks and cannot be launched unless you're in WT, which fucks up the flow of the gameplay. The weapons are cool, the visual design is great, and the story is more coherent than the original, but it's much less replayable. The only reason to stick around is Tag Climax which has dozens of combat scenarios you can hop into, although you're forced to have another character fighting it (CPU or P2) that is trying to get a better score than you.

If possible, play Wonderful 101 & Transformers Devastation afterwards. They innovate on the gameplay of Bayonetta better than its own sequel.

Attached: 1560221818307.jpg (1000x710, 207K)

Panther form, when you unlock it, is a great mobility tool. You activate it by pressing the dodge button twice. What's cool about it, is that you can use dodge offset in conjunction with the panther: instead of pressing dodge while holding down the attack button, you press dodge twice.

Thanks for the tips, my dude. I'll look into Wonderful 101 after finishing both Bayo games. I'm probably going to try to Platinum both of them in the hardest difficulty. I've heard there is Pure Platinum if you complete the chapters literally flawlessly, but I don't think I'm crazy enough to try that.

>Get the Bat Within ability as soon as it's unlocked
I recently replayed Bayonetta on the Switch, and during the early chapters I noticed that I was dodging but witch time was not activating or I was getting hit. I was super confused at what was going on until I was finally able to go to purchase the skill and read the description.

Essentially I was too used to dodging at the very last moment before the attack, since that's typically the optimal time to dodge.

Honestly, you don't need to do that in 2. The game is easier than 1 in some ways, but the ways in which it's harder due to how the enemies and mechanics are designed make it incredibly frustrating. You really are just fucked if you're not in Witch Time or UC. Maybe settle for the Witch Trials which are sort of like mini-Bloody Palaces and some of the harder Tag Climax fights (you can pump up the difficulty of each card up to 3 stars, and some of the harder ones get insane, especially boss ones).

W101 is my favorite game, but my advice for that is that your first playthrough will not be optimal play at all, because you need to acquire Unite Morphs, unlock moves for them by using them, buy universal moves, unlock/find special Unite Morphs (and even entire characters), and learn some of the various mechanics like Wonder Liner, the assist calls, etc. Your first playthrough is a tutorial with a great story, and THEN you can start getting good.

TF Devastation is like a cross between Bayo, Vanquish, Revengeance, Diablo, and 80s G1 Transformers that shouldn't all gel together as well as it does. It's hard to describe but the gameplay has this big focus on speed and momentum compared to Bayo (since you play as robots that turn into cars).

Attached: 1542198740817.jpg (1073x967, 245K)

How to dodge offset:

>hold down button to shoot before inputting your next attack.
>if an enemy is attacking, dodge WITH THE BUTTON STILL HELD DOWN
>You know you’ve done it right when Bayonetta is still firing mid dodge
>You can now use the next attack in the combo without restarting
>Best used to group enemies together and start a witch time combo with a wicked weave.

This. Bayonetta’s harder difficulties are exhilarating as hell too.

Post your favorite weapons. It's underpowered in most situations but damn do I love Takemikazuchi. Kilgore is close but a Giant Thunder Hammer? That's my shit.

Attached: 1533260847855.png (366x400, 243K)

I'm not sure what the player consincise is on this but I love how it looks and plays. Repositioning enemies with the whip is also fun. You can also go full God of war with it's basic combo.

Attached: 802990340l.png (471x452, 338K)

I like running Takemikazuchi with Feet Alruna. Definitely the most fun I have with 2, even if it's garbage against certain enemy types and bosses. Chain Chomp with Take is fun too for maximum heavy weapon.

I bought the original on the Xbox 360 because I saw Lt. Col. Kilgore shown off during E3.