Would point and clicks still be around if they didnt rely on obtuse moon logic puzzles so much?

Would point and clicks still be around if they didnt rely on obtuse moon logic puzzles so much?

Attached: eb2.gif (350x445, 1.6M)

Probably not

Point and clicks are still around and as strong as ever, you just don't hear (((gaming press))) talk about them.
"Adventure games are dead" is a retarded myth.

play deponya

Give me some names of recent p&c.

If there's no stumping puzzle, you will blaze through it and never remember a "THAT part."

thimbleweed park

Name 10 made in the last five years that actually sold a decent amount.

The point-and-click genre was destined to die simply because at it's core, they're only good games when the developers are smarter than their audience. The reason why you had bullshit logic puzzles like that was because the audience caught up and they needed to stump you. Which was nothing more than a bandaid solution to their imminent death.

A pie to the face is basic cartoon logic though. There's got to be worse, obtuse puzzle logic than that.

Primordia, Deponia, Whispered World/Silence, Night of the Rabbit, Technobabylon, Chains of Satinav/Memoria, Blackwell series (first is a tad older admittedly), The Dream Machine, Unavowed, Shadowgate, maybe Edna&Harvey.

>comedy point and click
I fucking hate that this is such a big part of the genre. Point and clicks are inherently great games, but the ones that rely on comedic elements are absolute dogshit (monkey Island, Sam and max, leisure suit Larry). Conversely , myst, Syberia and obduction are all quite good.

"Modernized" ones from Telltale or the Life is Strange series seem somewhat popular, though Telltale doesn't exist anymore.

Some good ones include
King's Quest (2015)
Four Last Things
Paradigm
Thimbleweed Park
Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth

>that rely on comedic elements are absolute dogshit (monkey Island, Sam and max, leisure suit Larry)

Attached: 1554488440590.jpg (461x394, 67K)

>that one puzzle in Obduction that, by design, forces you through a minimum of 20 loading screens one after another
[laughter stops]

>Monkey Island, Sam and max, leisure suit Larry
>bad

Attached: 1546442686799.jpg (484x380, 121K)

I had absolutely no problem with Simon the Sorcerer, Indiana Jones Atlantis had a some minor shitty things going and, mostly backtracking, but jesus, the Deponia serious is seriously fucked up in some parts, no clue how people are supposed to solve some shit.

Deponia is one of the worse offenders. I think they originally meant to poke fun at ridiculousness of some point&clicks, but forgot that 'poking fun' part halfway through development.

I haven’t played point n clicks since I was a kid (played the Myst franchise, Toonstruck, Titanic: Adventures out of time, Beyond Atlantis, and Timelapse). What would be some good games to get back into the genre?

>Technobabylon 2 is going to be 3D
Not sure how to feel about this

Attached: 2015-12-18_00001.jpg (1280x800, 161K)

Some of Deponia's puzzles are bullshit, but none so much as that meta one that expects you to change a setting. If not for the internet I would have been fucked for not considering that a solution could be obtained like that.

Primordia, Technobabylon, Whispers of a Machine

Of course, that depends on you enjoying pixel graphics and technological themes. All three have quality VA, relatively straightforward puzzles that keep the game flowing and decent-to-strong stories to keep you interested.

Nonsense item combinations aren't even that bad, even with bruteforcing you always have a very limited amount of options.
The worst offender is pixel hunting.

Wow, you've barely played any. Play:
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Sam & Max: Hit the Road
Monkey Island
Machinarium
I have no mouth and I must scream
Beneath a Steel Sky
Deponia

The Sam & Max episodes are OK too.

Also this, short and sweet

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 57K)

Why do I never see any love for THE DIG?

Attached: 00c95f384f9a9aea75b90436e60d7195.jpg (750x1097, 66K)

It alright

broken sword and the longest journey

Attached: underrated waifu.jpg (400x512, 60K)

I'm playing 2064: Random Access Memories right now. Dope-ass P&C cyberpunk shit

Im more surprised that there is going to be a Technobabylon 2

Because it’s a great buildup that turns into a drug psa.

Wasn't it teased in the credits screen after you beat the game? Or I might be thinking of the dev commentary. Either way I'm fairly sure the game itself tells you they were planning a sequel.

The issue most point and clicks games have isn't necessarily moon logic, although that obviously doesn't help. It's that the obstacles 9 out of 10 don't make sense.
This doesn't mean that the solution is moon logic, like needing to combine a comb and a tiger to create a piece of string which you use on a keyhole with a banana so that the monkey on the other side opens the door.
The problem is that the problem itself doesn't make sense. Most puzzles in point and click games are just "distract the person so that you can keep walking". Instead of using the problems to add to the story/worldbuilding, most of them are just generic obstacles that stop the flow of the story.
So it's not inherently the solution being retarded that's the issue, is that the obstacle itself most of the time is retarded.

>you just don't hear (((gaming press))) talk about them
Adventure Gamers is one of the oldest currently operating vidya sites on the internet.

It has one of best scores ever made for any video game.

I kinda want to get into this genre because it seems like the best way to create a strong narrative in a video game but fuck me, the ones that I've played are all kinda boring.

It's modern style but LiS was good for me as well, although I never did beat it.

Don't forget you can eat the pie and put yourself in an unwinnable state.

You've listed like a dozen of titles some of which of less than questionable quality that came out over the period of a decade, if that's all the genre gas to offer the it's even less alive than wargames, which are already a niche product.

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware I was supposed to write an essay for you, Your Majesty.

Modern point and click are a far cry from the ones that established the genre. Specially if you're going with LiS or TellTale stuff, which I barely consider a point and click.

This, my Steam recommendation queue is absolutely loaded with them. Most of them look like low quality shovelware, but I'm sure there are some diamonds in the rough.

point n clicks came about because advances in computing power allowed to go a different route than the typical arcade game, the movie game route. Adventure games were never about the puzzles, they were about the lifelike, handpainted graphics and realistic interactions between your guy and the world. The puzzles were created for solving the problem of the player breezing through your painstakingly hand-crafted levels, finishing the game in 30 minutes and getting angry at being stiffed to such a degree. So they added a bunch of puzzles, most of which were just kinda lame even when they were not completely retarded, but the player got to spend more time in the worlds so he was satisfied. But then all games turned into "movie games" where your guy was walking around in the world like it was real life, so the genre of point n click lost the point and was rightfully deprecated.

In a way though, point n clicks never went out of style, they just ascended

Attached: 1503817982355.jpg (1016x568, 293K)

Legitimately one of the greatest games ever made, and by far one of the greatest adventure games in no small part to how the puzzles weren't aggressively retarded.

Attached: 26971-indiana-jones-and-the-fate-of-atlantis-dos-front-cover.jpg (800x1019, 159K)

Did anyone else play Shardlight and find it aggressively mediocre? Competent but lacking? Just kind of crap?

Attached: SL-banner-940x2401-940x240.png (940x240, 287K)

Do you think April gently pats Crow? haha ha

LucasArts really were good. Then they just turned into the Star Wars game company.

I find most of Wadjet Eye games to be just that. There's usually some clever idea, the writing usually has good moments but overall, "aggressively mediocre"

Blackwell 5th was greath though, it completely justified sitting through 4 previous mediocre-to-bad games. Primordia was also well above average.

Do you means games they've developed or games they've published? Because they developed Shardlight and I've found games they've published a lot better.