What's your favorite """indie""" game Yea Forums?

What's your favorite """indie""" game Yea Forums?

Attached: Indie Games.jpg (1225x1225, 494K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nzoAMxYL5YI
youtube.com/watch?v=rWi_Xc4Cin8
youtube.com/watch?v=-ePLY6gXfxU
youtube.com/watch?v=CbvfsWBpL5M
youtube.com/watch?v=z4cs4klVCOU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Shovel Knight. Good gameplay, great characters, fantastic music, and two games with even better gameplay given out for free later on, with two more dropping this year. Plague of Shadows is also the first time a romance in a video game actually invested me.

I like other indies though. Battle Chef Brigade, Aces Wild, & One Finger Death Punch are games I've tried and loved in the past year, among others, and I just beat My Friend Pedro yesterday, which also played great (but was completely flat in terms of the writing).

Yume Nikki, easily one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

Good for that you that you were able to get enjoyment out of it but I found it extremely tedious and boring. To me its just a walking simulator with a bunch of trippy patterns made in rpg maker. It did nothing to emulate what dreams are actually like. It didn't tell much of a compelling story. I think it's very overrated.

7/8 (+SK,Celeste,HK,Furi,SMB,EtG,Cuphead, -HM)

Doki Doki Literature Club

I'm sorry

Attached: 1558327251906.gif (300x100, 60K)

Hollow Knight was fucking great and probably the best game relased that year.

Kio's Adventure. Because of the gore.

Hollow Knight easily.

I have alot of fun with Banished until everything comes crashing down

negrodancer

That game was neat before it became a meme of itself and every face cam LPer beat it to death

Besides Hollow Knight and Cuphead what are some good indie games with 2D graphics that aren't pixelated? I like 2D animation but am not really a fan of that aesthetic.

ChoRenSha
Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival

Blue Revolver: youtube.com/watch?v=nzoAMxYL5YI

I loved Hylics even though the gameplay was really standard

Attached: pongorma hylics HawtKoffee.jpg (528x680, 36K)

Little Fighter 2

Hyper Light Drifter

factorio

Attached: factorio mess.jpg (896x630, 1.03M)

Cave story

Sang Froid: Tales of werewolves.
Free on Steam because the guys who made it went under, I think.
You play as one of 2 Lumberjack brothers defending your land from the Devil.
Has a kickass Soundtrack and gameplay

youtube.com/watch?v=rWi_Xc4Cin8

Attached: jos.jpg (432x480, 122K)

The animation isn't super smooth but the art in pic related is how everybody looks in-game. Aztez as well, it does the Sin City/Madworld thing but with Aztec imagery.

Attached: BCB.jpg (1600x800, 383K)

I can't decide between LISA, Hotline Miami and Hollow Knight.

Attached: 1539597991729.png (845x1502, 1.34M)

I've tried this. It's definitely good but it has some jank you need to get used to. Basically it's an action game where you get to set up Tower Defense-style traps before each stage. Probably the only game I can think of that takes place in 19th Century Canada as well.

Attached: Madotsuki_Profile.png (200x200, 1K)

Would you say My Friend Pedro is worth buying OP? or should I wait for a sale? Seems a bit steep for an indie

Based, played it just a few months ago to see what all the fuss was about and had the exact same thoughts

Attached: 1551424417489.jpg (477x720, 50K)

Me too. Nobody talks about it anymore but it was a very memorable experience. Can’t wait for Solar Ash Kingdom

Yeah I get that. I tell people It's definitely my favorite Indie game but it suffers from being an indie game.
It needed a budget of more than 5 shekels.

Spelunky

Not OP but I liked it. I also got it when it was 15% off on Pre-Purchase though. Here's a quick review:
>Gameplay 9.5/10
>Music/Sound 8/10
>Visuals 6/10
>Writing/Story 1/10
The game at its core is fantastic. The controls, the mechanics, the flow of each encounter, the level design, the different guns you get, all of it is great stuff that never gets tired or boring and keeps challenging you, and the music ranges from "fitting" to "really great". The scoring system also makes it incredibly replayable for better rankings. That said, none of the locations you're in are interesting and none of the designs are good outside of the player character. The only reason Visuals isn't even lower is that they're very readable in combat and that your character's animations are actually fantastic (probably because you'd be seeing them in detail when time is slowed). The writing is awful. The story is bland and has a couple "twists" I didn't care about, and every single joke falls flat. I didn't laugh once, and the game really wanted me to laugh at something Pedro says between levels or some of the goon banter.

If you care about gameplay & music more than anything else like me, get it. If not, you can wait for it to be $3-8 off because it's still very good despite the setting/writing.

Attached: 1539981772858.jpg (1024x1024, 108K)

Undertale

Attached: u.png (578x152, 17K)

It's Furi for me. First game I actually tried not to be shit at

Oh, and the bosses are solid overall. Two of them change up the gameplay style on you, and the penultimate boss is fantastic and one of the best parts of the game. 2nd boss kinda sucks though because it's just a simple gimmick that drags out too long.

Steamworld Dig titles, both of which were addicting af

Katawa Shoujo

> Crypt, Isaac
I don't enjoy roguelikes
> Shovel Knight
Haven't played it because it never goes on good sales
> Celeste
Played, thought it was meh. Inferior Zuper Meat Boy knock off
> Papers Please
Played, thought it was an interesting concept, but it was too hard and I couldn't figure out bow to progress so I gave up
> Hollow Knight
Played, thought it was garbo, most overrated indie game of recent years
> Salt and Sanctuary
NOW we're talking. I thought you were a confirmed pleb after seeing Hollow Knight, but you've redeemed yourself with this one
> Furi
Didn't really like it, the flat, untextured artstyle really turned me off and made it feel cheap, and the combat was nothing special
> Not sure what this is, I don't know moon runes
> Hotline Miami
10/10 masterpiece
> Super Meat Boy
10/10 masterpiece
> A Hat in Time
Haven't played
> Gungeon
Roguelike
> Cuphead
10/10 masterpiece
> More moon runes?
> Curse of the Moon
Haven't played

For me?
Here are some suggestions:
Baba is You
Gunpoint
Ori
Nihilumbra
The Swapper
Also, if you enjoy walking simulators:
To The Moon
Firewatch
What Remains of Edith Finch

Hotline Miami 1 & 2.
> Gameplay with good mix of action and puzzle
> Godlike OST and distinct visuals
> Suprisingly one of the best stories and characters in vidya

Super Meat Boy is the pinnacle of 2d platforming.

Hollow Knight is the pinnacle of metroidvania.

Dustforce

Spelunky
Mark of the ninja
Charlie murder
Dungeon defenders 1
Nuclear throne
Hotline miami 1 and 2

ROR2 has grown to be one of my favs, even after only being out for a few months

Attached: 1554770311882.png (1008x777, 374K)

>Inferior Zuper Meat Boy
Whats the similarity other than the two being platformers? Thats like saying that Sonic the Hedgehog is an inferior Mario knockoff.

Iconoclasts

I really crave good pixelart. it's a shame 95% of indie games are unplayable trash because the art is the worst kind of pixelshit.

Attached: CpbMyCeWYAErYSC.jpg (625x485, 80K)

If you like Salt and Sanctuary I honestly think you'd like Hollow Knight. How much of it did you play? I actually dropped it twice in the first half an hour or so before I tried to play it a third time and pushed myself through to the forrest area. Once I got that far (probably like an hour or 2 into the game) is when it really clicked for me.

If you played past that point and didn't like it then it probably isn't for you. If you didn't get that far maybe give it another shot if you haven't refunded it. You might be surprised by how great it is.

I won the physical version from limited run. Still waiting for them to ship

How is "La Mulana" moonrunes? lol

Are you retarded?

DKC2 is the pinnacle of 2D platforming but Meat Boy is alright too.

It's immediately obvious that Celeste is inspired by Super Meat Boy. It doesn't even hide it, it wears its inspiration on its sleeve and there are even easter eggs like the "classic" Celeste arcade machine that are homages to SMB. It uses the same "one hit, instant respawn" gameplay except instead of the levels being separated on a level select screen they're connected end to end. Strawberries are bandages, and B/C sides are dark world. It even has the same number of worlds as SMB. I don't see how you could possibly fail to see the similarities if you played Celeste after playing SMB. It's one of the more obvious "spiritual successor" games out there

I gave up near the beginning because I couldn't stand the platforming physics. The lack of momentum when jumping just killed it for me.

>one hit, instant respawn
So is meatboy an N clone then?

Thank you user, I'm very indecisive but I think I'll end up picking it up to tide me over until Mario Mario Maker 2 comes out

>Swapper
excellent taste brödder

Makes sense. Super Meat Boy was inspired by Jumper, one of the Celeste devs first games. It stands to reason that they wanted to return the favor.

So you didn't read the rest of the similarities I described? If you played the game it's obvious Celeste is a spiritual successor to Meat Boy. It surprises me there are people who would even try to refute this, it makes it pretty obvious you didn't play both games

Its definitely part ofthe same group along with 1001 spikes and Iwbtg. I'm not a historian on those types of games but celeste fags are in denial. I still enjoyed the game tho

Curse of the Moon is fantastic. Not as hard as the Classicvania games, but still manages to capture the same essence that made those games so great and memorable.

>CTRL+F
>"Bastion"
>No matches.

Attached: Disgust_Touma.png (190x190, 61K)

Really? That's an interesting piece of trivia, I didn't know that before.

Quest of Dungeons

Rabi-Ribi for tough bullet hell boss fights, and cute and funny characters.

Attached: cicini.jpg (350x408, 26K)

Based

>cuphead
>indie
oh nononono

is curse of the moon really indie?

Mark of the Ninja

How is cuphead not indie

Death Wishes are killing me

Attached: 1560719262583.png (2940x3036, 1.86M)

It's a spinoff of an indie game made by Inti Creates which are basically a contract dev. I'd say it's maybe one layer less indie than RotN but still indie, which is sort of weird when you think about it.

Nuclear Throne.
Lethal League Blaze is my second favorite, followed by Slap City.

Attached: nt.png (1280x866, 1.23M)

It's still at least kinda indie because Studio MDHR retained ownership of both their studio and the Cuphead ip. It was really just "we'll give you money and in exchange you don't ever release it on Playstation". If you consider Devolver Digital games indie then Cuphead is as well because the deal Microsoft gave is pretty similar in the amount of freedom it gave the devs.

Bastion kinda sucks

Easily my favorite indie game this year.

Attached: 1559443651976.png (1200x1719, 222K)

Is Renegade ops indie? That was a fun game

I never see anyone talk about this game.
Probably due to the generic title but the game is incredible and could give Shovel Knight a run for it's money.
The gameplay, sound and visuals are incredible.

Attached: H2x1_NSwitchDS_TheMessenger_image1600w.jpg (1600x800, 219K)

I tried Resistor and it was okay but there was nothing in there that pushed me to play again after I turned it off. Think I only ended up playing for a couple of hours.

Is Bastion any better? I bought all three supergiant games in a steam sale but the mediocrity of Resistor put me off playing the other two.

Just looked it up. Looks fucking great. I don't know how I've never heard of this game.

I lost my interest when I learned it turns into a Metroidvania, and from the gameplay I did see (which looked good in the regular levels) the dialogue/story seemed really unfunny. That's not a dealbreaker but having just finished Pedro I'd rather not immediately play another action-platformer with shit humor.

The Beach-themed expansion from the Devolver Direct looked cool though. Maybe I'll grab it one day.

I hate the way it looks. the retro graphics switching gimmick is stupid and just a way to be lazy, letting them make lower quality pixel art for most of the assets.

It really doesn't matter what happens outside/around it, the game is the same and good as day one, an example would be undertale, the game is great but the fanbase is pure shit

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (without the dlc), FTL and Spelunky.

Thats one of the main things that has completely put me off playing Pedro actually. I just played Katana Zero and it had some of the most cringeworthy writing I've seen in recent years. Not willing to sit through another arcadey stylish 2D action game with cringeworthy dialogue so soon.

>the game is great
I thought the game was pretty shit to be honest. The music is great and about half of the jokes are pretty funny, but the actual gameplay is shit. Slow as fuck walking speed, obnoxious and purposefully slow travel animations, and a combat system that is basically just the worlds most dumbed down, babified danmaku game. No thanks.

Thats how i felt about bastion. Went back a few times over the years only to quit and play something enjoyable every time. It's fedora hipster tier trash

>Ori
>indie

The fuck is with Devolver putting out so many action platformers with fantastic gameplay and good music but horrible writing? At least Katana Zero has an aesthetic and setting going for it.

I'd recommend Pedro once your palette is cleansed though, the story is very unintrusive and can be skipped by mashing A at the beginning of a stage. The gameplay and level design is top-notch.

Attached: 1545630067057.jpg (640x480, 37K)

See my comment on Cuphead It may not be "true" indie, but it's at least as indie as Devolver Digital games are

The Messenger
>looks amazing
>sounds amazing
>controls amazing
I even like the writing. However, it's so easy that just stopped playing it a few chapters in. The game is very nicely done, too bad for the difficulty.

The ACTUAL indie game, the literal foundation of the term.

Attached: YIKES.jpg (444x409, 23K)

This. Shovel Knight is top tier, even the dlcs are great and full of content

>The fuck is with Devolver putting out so many action platformers with fantastic gameplay and good music but horrible writing?
It's pretty much their thing at this point. Have a look through their catalogue. Thats basically all they make.

Humor isn't the selling point but it's actually pretty good.
What? The 8 and 16 bit graphics look great. Maybe you're thinking of something else.

Kings: Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, Cunny in Time

Any point-n-click bros in here?
Primordia is a solid modern game, I didn't find myself perpetually confused either.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Do research before you start talking out your ass, it's the other way around. Meat Boy was inspired by Matt's games from before. Look up Jumper.

I hope Carrion doesn't try to be funny. It seems like the one premise that would actively be hurt by trying to be humorous instead of playing the "reverse horror" thing straight.

Plants vs Zombies (if you consider it an indie game)

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. The game just has endless replayability and seeing yourself getting better at it feels great. Every run feels different and it doesnt get boring quickly.

Minecraft is probably my second favorite indie game for obvious reasons.

Nex Machina

For me, it's Undertale. I think about the characters all the time and my initial playthrough wasnt spoiled at all so the impact was real.
>Initial playthrough
>Pacifist
>stop playing for a bit
>"bro... open your game again. You're not done. try killing everyone"
>why would I do that?
>get curious
>do it anyways, fuck it why not
>SINCE WHEN DID YOU THINK YOU WERE IN CHARGE

Attached: 322-3228761_chara-undertale-chara-undertale.png (1024x1362, 1.9M)

I cant decide between Hotline Miami, Shovel Knight, or Hillow Knight.

Attached: large.jpg (450x666, 127K)

Is there a focus on puzzles or is it just standard fare?

I'm playing 2064: Read Only Memories atm, solid cyberpunk setting, story focused, no pixel chasing, and the occasional minigame/puzzle bit. Plot is also dope.

My only criticisms are the achievements, which require 3+ playthroughs to complete, and the text is a bit slow and annoying to skip if you're a fast reader.

Guacamelee probably

The SteamWorld games are all amazing.

>no love for monaco
Absolutely fantastic game.

BallisticNG, it's the peak of arcade racing there's not much you can improve here besides graphics everything else is near perfect. I only wish the player base was bigger so there would be more custom content, but I'm already more than happy with what's there.

Attached: bng - arrivon.webm (480x360, 1.68M)

from your image op? A Hat in Time, it's just so good, seen sleeping hat kid at the end of her adventure almost made me cry, good night little buddy, sweet dreams ;_;

Kuphëd

Don't mind me, just posting the nine best indie games from this generation

Attached: Nine Greatest Eighth Gen Indies Ver 2.jpg (920x920, 357K)

I really want to play it but I have trouble finding 3 other friends willing to.

excellent post

>Nex Machina

A man of taste

Attached: Nex Machina.jpg (622x392, 31K)

The Desolate Hope

Attached: VIRUS IS MOVING TO INTERCEPT.gif (450x270, 1.35M)

redpill me on this

looks comfy asf. The graphics are obv a throwback to the ps1, so why 'improve' there?

Hyper Light Drifter is on sale on the Switch Eshop, worth buying?

same here. i actually got to know about the game through what was probably the biggest spoiler of them all youtube.com/watch?v=-ePLY6gXfxU don't judge me please yet it was still incredibly enjoyable. really looking forward to deltarune

> hollow shite
into the trash it goes

Being a contrarian doesn't make you interesting.

Shut up, Matthew.

Pretty cool story, neat robot designs, some great music, ridiculous battle system
youtube.com/watch?v=CbvfsWBpL5M
The 2D walking/platforming sections can get a little annoying but in my opinion they are worth it for the battles and the story.

This

bonus points is that it's completely free as well

Attached: INTENSE.png (263x323, 215K)

True enough, though even by those metrics the art can be pretty iffy compared to the gorgeous art direction of Wipeout 3. Understandable, but still

Attached: ballisticng16.webm (640x360, 2.28M)

From that list? Hollow Knight and Furi. Overall favorite indie is Transistor

Attached: Transistor_Game_Art_Supergiant_01.jpg (1920x1063, 513K)

Super Meat Boy or Hotline Miami, because they’re the polar opposite of le randomly generated garbage where you win based on how young and quick you are. I like a game where I get something based on how much effort I put in, rather than how fast my reflexes happen to be which varies based on age, sex, genetics, environment, pretty much everything BUT how much effort you put in.

same thing with the first FNAF game.2-4 were complete shit and I stopped following the game after that.

plays like 1 the game like 1 hour
says its garbage

why is Yea Forums like this?

The whole world is like this about everything. Why do you think Yea Forums would be an exception ?

>If you played past that point and didn't like it then it probably isn't for you.
Not that user but that is literally me. Played past that even but dropped it for lack of interest for its world,combat and enemies

OFF
Hotline Miami
Hat in Time
Curse of the Moon
Transistor
these are all fantastic indies and would rec to anyone

very drunk

1.- (by far) Hollow knight
2.- Cuphead
3.- Super Meat Boy
4.- Celeste
5.- Shovel Knight
6.- Salt and Sanctuary
7.- Enter the Gungeon

havent played the rest

You have very plebeian but still great taste. Have a good day user.

thanks dear user

Undertale, Oxenfree, Night in the Woods.

Celeste or dustforce

Atom RPG
Cuphead
Hotline Miami
Impossible Game

Hollow Knight

all dudes that says Hollow Knight is garbage dropped it in the first hours of gameplay

Baba is You and Antichamber.

But he hates Hollow Knight.

Probably Hotline Miami
I feel like I would enjoy Hollow Knight but I play it for a few hours, drop it for months, forget what I did, start a new game, rinse repeat.

>MFW when I don’t see The Darkest Dungeon once

Attached: 4A84F11F-624E-4667-9788-EFF6C1C95AF7.jpg (1024x575, 195K)

matt would've had dustforce on there

That 255th super secret 4th extra level in Meta was fucking hard to find.

Hey yo where my Mordhau boys at

Attached: E84E66CD-ADC7-4CE9-B427-8244A08A3F59.jpg (616x353, 47K)

Transistor and Furi

Attached: Number 1.png (620x616, 373K)

Stop following ecelebs if they're making you dislike things you used to like. You're wilfully making your life worse.

Shank. Dust: An Elysian Tail. Don't Starve.

in terms of gameplay shovel knight is way better than cuphead.

FTL

Castle in the Darkness is up there with Cave story for best indie platformer.

Attached: castle in the darkness.png (1423x2048, 461K)

Can anyone explain to me what people rate about Cave Story? I personally thinl the graphics are shit and the gameplay is the most unremarkable middle of the road thing I've ever seen.

Darkest Dungeon, I got 500+ hours in it and am giddily awaiting the sequel

Subnautica

The sequel looks great too
youtube.com/watch?v=z4cs4klVCOU

>the graphics

Imagine being this much of a normalfag

>drop shit game before beating it
>”you didn’t even give it a chance”/“you just weren’t good at it”
>beat shit game
>”lmao why would you finish a game you hate?”

N++
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Fuck Super Meat Boy

Anybody else excited for Brave Earth Prologue after hearing about it at E3? It's some sort of cross between NES Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania III by the guy who made IWBTG. Music and sprites are good and the main girl is qt.

Stardew Valley. Game's like crack!

Attached: Multiplayer_Screenshot2-1[1].png (960x540, 73K)