ALttP SNES vs GBA

I'm playing a link to the past for the first time, should I play the SNES or the GBA version? Does it matter?

Attached: Screenshot_20190623-005947_Google.png (1058x442, 570K)

Other urls found in this thread:

movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=913257
youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6T0M-NOck
youtube.com/watch?v=6eom9lkym8A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are you deaf?
No?
Then go with snes

The GBA version came from an era where Nintendo felt obligated to give every character terrible bit-crunched voice effects in their SNES ports. The SNES version also doesn't suffer from a smaller screen.

Get the uncensored (or as I call it uncucked) Super Famicom version

What was censored? Crosses and religious stuff?

movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=913257

Go with the earliest version of any game unless there's a good reason not to.

This, and that usually means the original Japanese console release.
Japanese games have better artwork (too many games to list), better graphics (Contra), have better sound (Zelda, Metroid), are uncensored (Again too many to list) or never even released in the west (again too many to list)
Honestly, there isn't really a point in owning the North American version of some consoles such as the Super Famicom, the PC Engine, or the Mark III (I refuse to have those ugly white boxes on my shelf) not only that but Japanese games are dirt cheap, go to your locals BookOff and you can find CIB Famicom games for ¥500, screw ordering a game from EBay for $50 + $45 shipping and waiting 2 months for it to arrive

Not only that but the translations usually make uneccesary changes (changing a Japanese name to a Western one), or including pointless American pop culture references (Bill Clinton jokes) that don't make sense in the setting of the game. There's a few instances where the Japanese version isn't as good (the Canadian version Beasties and Donkey Kong Country are way superior) but the general rule is Japanese > everything else

GBA has shitty sound and Link does a girly scream with every attack. SNES all the way.

Thanks. Ah, to go back to the days when this is what we dealt with

Now a days with region free consoles becoming the norm this isn't an issue, you can pick and choose which version you want very easily but back then it was ridiculous. Honestly if you're not at the very least learning some basic Japanese you're making a big mistake

Is the japanese version of alttp fully english?

The only game that I'm aware of with a language setting is Super Metroid

cringe

Gba, you can find the version without the voice pretty easily, also you don't have faggot pink hair for link. It's also comfy version to play on the 3ds.

I too love jelly doughnuts

>Honestly if you're not at the very least learning some basic Japanese you're making a big mistake
I know, I know! It's just so hard to start and stick to it. It's so rare that I enjoy a Western game (and they're usually all small studio/indie now) and I like VNs, but I'm so lazy and worthless

Eh I was just thinking it was one of those games. There are a bunch of japanese snes games that never got released outside of japan that are almost entirely english.

>if you are not learning a whole new fucking language so that your flippers can be finger webs, you are making a terrible mistake with your life

I love playing with half the screen cut off
Just talk to Japanese people online, learning to read isn't too hard as long as you recognize the Kanji you can sort of get the meaning of the sentence, at least in simpler games, but some games like Pokemon don't use Kanji which I find harder
I find a lot of games mix it up

There are so many games that never released in the west, or if they did that got horrible translations. The Sega Saturn actually becomes one of the best consoles you can own if you play Japanese games

GBA puts in more grass rupees and uses OoT sound effects. Otherwise basically the same game.

Its literally not even noticable if you haven't played the snes version. It has no negative effect on gameplay and is optimal for something like the 3ds.

This "censorship" is completely irrelevant and changing "priest" to "sage" fits better with the series lore

>Just talk to Japanese people online, learning to read isn't too hard as long as you recognize the Kanji you can sort of get the meaning of the sentence
How long did it take you to learn enough Kanji if you don't mind me asking? And where do you talk to Japanese people when they're generally so isolated? (and foriegners blocked in places like futaba)

Yes it's noticeable when I'm trying to play a game like Panel de Pon, the seppos completely changed everything about the game and shoe horned in Mario characters for no reason, I'll admit some games are better with the North American version, like Biohazard (except for the first one they're all censored in Japan) but when you go retro always bet on Japanese, but even modern games like Tekken or Soul Edge are censored in the west

The GBA version has some extras like the Palace of the Four Swords dungeon, which I really liked.

SNES with MSU-1 sound track

I was responding about the resolution brohan.

It doesn't, the prologue talks about the sages sealing Ganon in the sealing war, and how the maidens are specifically targeted because they are sage descendants, pretty different from the church priest, as he holds no power whatsoever in comparison to actual sages, get your shit together nigger, that's a stupid change and you know it.

no

Attached: 1548260806226.png (750x953, 807K)

>censorship
All of those changes are better though

GBA version has Link going HAA HUH HA with every swing.

It's removing religious references, link was Canonically a Christian in the original game (he carried a bible and prayed to a crucifix in concept art), It was only later on they started changing the lore to have their own in universe religion but Link to the Past was kind of mixed up.
I'm retarded so it took me about a year until I felt comfortable reading books for young children (like kindergarten age) I can play simple children's games like Pokemon semi comfortably, the lack of Kanji makes it a bit hard for but honestly the biggest problem you'll have playing retro games is the font, but I think for your average person it shouldn't take half as long as it took me I just think I'm legitimately semi retarded.
Also if you want to learn just make a profile on some app with a lot of Asians saying "I want help learning Japanese I'll help you learn English" it would help a lot if you can at least read hiragana and katakana and know some basic kanji or greetings, you'll get a ton of girls sending you messages but they're not helpful to learn just you'll have a large supply to talk to compared with a guy who doesn't seem to want to talk to foreigners compared to women

No they're not eat a dick

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the reply. Did you go with the DJT guide or something else?

>he wants Jew representation in his games
>he wants hieroglyphics in Zelda
>he wants finger webbing
Which part of this is better?

No I used Wani Kani, but honestly talking to Japanese people and showing them the different programs they told me "it sucks" learning Japanese is hard and honestly I don't think there's any "good" way to learn, I just like Wani Kani because it tells you if you're right or wrong in the program, I can't trust myself with flash cards.
Talking to someone is the best way to learn, you pick things up more naturally having a conversation you can ask like "oh I'm having breakfast how do I say that? How do I say eggs?" Learning programs always teach you a lot of "unnecessary stuff" but learning to read isn't really hard at all compared to speaking. Kanji makes things really easy because even if I don't know a sentence when I recognize some kanji I found that the majority of the time I can guess the sentences meaning
It's fun to learn, I'd say try it out even if all you can read is hiragana and katakana it will help you out

>not everything is a conspiracy, cletus
>hieroglyphics are cool
>finger webbing is strange but also a neat difference

Stop being who you are now and go back to someone that you used to be. New you isn't any fun.

Thank you. Honestly I have no interest in conversing with it, just consuming media.
Just bookmarked wanikani.com. Alright, I'm going to try again. But not tonight because I'm too tired.
Thanks a lot for answering my questions.

I just want the original unchanged game there's no reason to make these changes I don't mind some changes, like Pokemon names in English like ゼニガメ to Squirtle the original name doesn't make any sense in English or or calling ピッコロ Piccolo, it just sounds more natural in English but changing Priest to Sage because "no religious references" is kind of silly

I think you might be unstable mate, finger webbing is literally just bad translation, the others don’t matter bar the ocarina boy, but an ocarina is still a type of flute

to be fair, religious parent group types in the US in that time period were a strange rabid breed that was probably just bewildering to japanese devs.

You can try Wani Kani for free until level 3 I think, my advice is don't rush take it easy don't compare yourself to other people, you'll overwhelm yourself with a thousand reviews piling up a day. Don't hurry yourself, you've got decades ahead of you and even if all you can say is おはようございます, you're already miles ahead lots of people who visit Japan. I see so many old frustrated boomers yelling in English to the poor 7/11 worker as if that will make the poor kid understand you.
Japanese will appreciate you if you even make an attempt, Japanese people I've spoken to have put it very bluntly to me "Westerners are too stupid to learn Japanese" so they'll be happy even if you know a few words

>bleeps & bloops are better than orchestra

okay then

I just don't like any censorship in games or any media at all, if some western tranny game developer wants to make a dilator similuator game go ahead I don't like it, I won't play it but I really don't care I just wanna enjoy my anime and games without any unnecessary censorship and localization changes

Why though? It’s really a non issue, in fact if you have the religious references in the game it makes it less canon with the other games

Whichever is more convenient for you honestly they are so similar it doesn't matter which one you play. GBA version has inferior music due to the hardware and added voices to some sound effects like the SMB remakes did. GBA version also added 4 swords stuff but you need multiple people to play that. I'd say the SNES version is slightly superior but again they are so similar that either version is fine.

Thanks, man. "take it easy" is my motto, although I do it a bit too strongly and that's why I'm in this situation.

damn right
youtube.com/watch?v=Xs6T0M-NOck
youtube.com/watch?v=6eom9lkym8A

take your generic orchestral zoomer shit elsewhere

Japanese is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn. If you push yourself too hard you might just frustrate yourself if you see a lack of progress, you've got to understand that sometimes you'll hit a road block, just stick to studying daily for at least an hour.
My advice to learn katakana is to learn the Japanese names for Pokemon, you already know the English names so it's easy to remember who's who, and for Kanji I found learning video game names helps a lot because again you know the games so it's easy to remember which one is which.

>jew representation
hexagrams exist in hinduism, buddhism and jainism, user
japs didn't even think of kikes when putting those in the game

What kind of apps would you recommend?

>My advice to learn katakana is to learn the Japanese names for Pokemon, you already know the English names so it's easy to remember who's who
Heh, that's not a bad idea. The video game names, too. I need to sleep now, but thanks a lot for the advice. I appreciate it.

>learn Japanese for long enough to be able to play most vidya/read lots of LNs comfortably
>all for this

This is truly the pinnacle of the language learning journey.

Attached: NEVER GIVEUP.png (599x378, 306K)